What would you do? Turn out or not? Update post 22
My shoulder has been killing me lately. I have been to see the orthopedic surgeon and had an MRI done. Unfortunately, due to his schedule, I don't even have an appointment yet to get a prognosis.
In the meantime, December 1 is around the corner, and I need to make a decision on whether I give my horse and my shoulder a long vacation, or keep him in work over the winter at greater expense. I have a couple of people who want to ride him, but no one who can share expenses.
The rider who will be working with him the most is an excellent rider, so it would be free training, basically, and I would have a solid second level horse by summer, I am pretty sure. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to not take advantage of this rider's time.
On the other hand, I would still have to be involved with care and feeding, and now I'm thinking I really do need a break from the chores and expenses while I heal or rest or whatever I need to do (so frustrating trying to see a specialist when the shoulder guy is only in the office once a week:mad:).
FWIW I personally have no showing ambitions, and the horse is an OTTB who, while a darling horse, will be even nicer to ride with more training, but not substantially increased in value. So I don't necessarily need a better-trained horse to suit my needs. And if he never learned another thing, he would still be an ammy/hobby rider's dream horse.