Person hiding from me on FB -- how is that done? -- election aftermath story
So I tried very hard to breathe deeply, nice cleansing breaths, but sadly the election this year cost me a couple of friends on FB. I feel sorry about the latest one since we go way back (very casually, only met her once in person, but connected by horses which is usually a pretty strong bond). I can ignore or put up with a lot of things I think are incorrect, misinformed, or even stupid -- but if I find something offensive, I have trouble keeping that friend. Today was that day for "Mary". :sigh:
So what's done is done but I am left with two questions, one technical and one philosophical. Here's the chain of events:
- Mary posts omg offensive thing
- I comment "ok, I'm gone" and then after a pause of only about 20-30 seconds, I unfriend Mary
- Then I leave computer for an hour or so
- Returning to computer I see I have a private FB message from Mary. It says (and I quote lol) "I see you don't believe in freedom of speech. Hypocrites. Gotta love 'em."
- I can't respond because, um, I've unfriended her. But that's not the weird part. The weird part is -- I can't find her anywhere. She has lots of friends, most who agree with her politically, so she absolutely did not leave FB over a tiff with me. She is somehow blocking me. Her name is odd enough that I know I've looked through every one of the people with that name, none of them is she. I didn't even know you could block someone. Can you? Blocking specific posts or unfriending are all the tricks I know.
The philosophical part? What does this have to do with freedom of speech?! She has every right to post insensitive offensive things and I have every right to take measures not to see them. Of course this person also said "next step is COMMUNISM folks!!!"