Advice needed, dangerous horse on lease
I am completely at a loss and have come here for some much needed advice and opinions.
In the summer I was looking for a horse to free lease. After trying many I found a gorgeous mare and actually beat out 2 other people wanting to lease her. When I tried her she was great, aside from some baby moments, and seemed calm. She had just turned 5 and despite her young age her owner said she was bombproof and a packer mentality.
When I got her home, I put the mare on private turn out, as she's intended to be my show horse and owner said she was ok with it. She was stressed, running all over the place and would not settle - even with Ace. So I put her out with my 2 other horses and she was fine, but has become herd bound. Aware of where they are and upset when she's not with them, even when she's waiting a few minutes for turn out. Tried putting her out first and she tries to run back to the barn.
For her 6 weeks here every day her stall needed to be gutted, she stall walked at night. I put her on Feisty Mare and it has had a slight affect, but not enough for me to be happy! She's also one of those horses that will make nasty faces when you come in her stall. Only occasionally doing more than a face.
All this I could put up with, as she was great to ride, aside from some difference of opinion moments:winkgrin: But, as of recently, she has gotten worse. I'm not sure if it's the change in weather, reduced work or both but she's becoming dangerous. When I walk in her stall she will turn her butt towards me and hop, like she's going to double barrel me. I have a girl that helps out a couple days a week and she is refusing to deal with her.
I've carried a whip with me, but it's like she recognized it and knew what was coming. She actually gets worse when disciplined! Today I was putting a polo on her front leg and she tried to cow kick me with her hind leg. I got up to smack her butt and she turned it towards me and kicked. I was luckily able to run into a stall in the nick of time! While I was in there she threw a fit and was rearing.
My dilemma is first and foremost I do not want to be injured, but secondly this is a horse that I have leased. The owner is out of the country until the summer and I have signed a contract that if I send her back I have to pay board for her until a new leaser is found. I don't want to give up, but it's becoming dangerous. I did enjoy riding her, but I made it clear that I was a nervous rider that had just gotten my confidence back. Now it's starting to be shaken again. I was laid off my job so sending her back and paying board is not an option. My vet, coach and the owner's previous coach all have recommended 24/7 turn out but the owner says no.
Any advice on how I can possibly get out of this situation would be much appreciated!:)