2012 COTH Secret Santa -- Sleighs On The Way!
I wanted to start SS a few weeks earlier than in year's past so that, perhaps, more could participate if they had more time to budget & shop within their limits.
Sooooooooooooooooo: For the fifth year running, it is my honor & privilege to coordinate COTH's Famous Secret Santa as The Chief Elf In Charge. :yes:
So, here is how it goes for those who've never played Elf before…
--Please, PLEASE read each instruction carefully. 99.9% of your questions about how SS works are answered below:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Send an E-mail to SS_CHIEF_ELF@YAHOO.COM (note the Underscores between the words....Not spaces) with all of the following information (I recommend you copy/paste the below text so you don't miss something):
1. Your COTH Board Name :D - you'd be amazed at how many I get that miss this part :lol:
2. Your real name and full address, including country
3. Your e-mail address(es).....
NOTE - We've learned in previous years that it's best if each person, if at all possible, get a separate Free e-mail, like Yahoo or Gmail, solely for Secret Santa purposes. Alas, we know that the WWW has issues sometimes, people change ISPs, etc. Sooo, if you can do a freebie one that’s always there and is just used for SS, it’s a wee bit of “contact” insurance, if you will. ;)
(ATTENTION HOTMAIL USERS--BE AWARE! Usually sent e-mails go through fine to HM from Yahoo BUT..... "replies" get blocked." Just file that away for future reference.)
4. Your phone number (Your SS will be instructed to only use this number in the event they choose to ship via UPS or FedEx. It may help get a package to you that was incorrectly addressed.)
5. The amount of money you're willing to spend on your SS, rounded to the nearest $10. -- I MUST HAVE one single-dollar amount. No ranges (like $70-90).
NOTE-- The cost of shipping is in addition to your gift expense amount.
While there is, technically, no dollar limit/ceiling, we find that usually only two or three people can do above $150, so keep that in mind.
6. A YES or NO as to whether you'd be willing to ship overseas or to Canada. We have quite the international contingent and certainly don't want them to feel left out.
7. A description of yourself!
This is your chance to tell your Secret Santa about who you are, what you like/need/want/dislike/etc.
Tell us about your riding discipline and your horse(s) if you have one, as well as children and pets.
List your tastes in décor/food/clothing/music, etc. and things you'd like to have, or things you really don't need.
Be creative, be specific if you'd like, or just describe yourself in general terms and leave your gift(s) up to the creativity of your Santa.
If you have special food issues (allergies, religious guidelines, etc.), please specify them within your bio. Many folks love to send yummy goodies and we'd like to avoid someone becoming ill or getting something they can only smell and not eat.
8. If you have been grinched in the past but DID NOT let me know in 2011, please let me know immediately who the grinch was so I can ensure they don’t participate. I have Grinch records going back to 2004 showing both the grincher and the grinchee. They are forbidden from playing again…..I GUARANTEE THEY WON'T GET IN!! :mad:
9. VERY IMPORTANT-- Add SS_CHIEF_ELF@YAHOO.COM to your list of contacts in your e-mail account or be sure to check your junk mail folder regularly. (The underscores between the words are very important.) Your giftee’s information will be sent from this account to you by me, along with any other updates, etc
DEADLINE-- I must have all participant’s e-mails by OCTOBER 26th so I have time to match them up, send out the match notification e-mails and give everyone time to shop and ship.
Gifts should be mailed/shipped out during the FIRST FULL WEEK of DECEMBER so that any post office issues, delays, etc. can, hopefully, be avoided or corrected.... especially if shipping to Canada or overseas.
If you’d like to sign up to be an Official De-Grincher (although I pray it won’t be needed) or a Back-Up Elf, please e-mail me at the above address too with “DEGRINCHER/BACK-UP ELF WANNABE” in the subject line. I’ll create a separate database just for you gems.
THE FINE PRINT-- For those who are new to Secret Santa via COTH, it's important to know that this is not an official COTH-sponsored or endorsed event. It is solely organized by COTH BBers for BBers. We do all we can to ensure that everybody does receive a gift, but we do have to put our faith in relative strangers for this one.
The good news is that very, very few people have been "grinched" in the past, and those people who grinched will NEVER be permitted to participate again. This Chief Elf keeps very good records and has a keen memory.
Also, we understand that poop happens. So, if you sign up and find that you will be unable to send a gift, please let me know IMMEDIATELY so I can make alternate arrangements with my DeGrinchers/Back-Up Elves.
Lastly, feel free to be as crazy and wild as you'd like! Almost every SS participant creates an alter purely for Secret Santa Secret Messages. You just register as a new poster (and it's a good way to use your separate, free SS e-mail account) and post your teasing messages here or via PM to your giftee. Most folks use the following format: "Chocomore's Elf" ...or something to that effect. Just be sure you carefully log in and log out when using your alter! Some folks have accidentally revealed their true COTH identity because they forgot to login under their SS Alternate Name.
GOOOOOO SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
How Many Warmbloods does it take to be Eleanor's elf?
Apples are red,
Originally Posted by Eleanor
You will be glad,
One of your horses,
Is gonna wear plaid.
Uh, you'd better sign up, Eleanor. We (it takes 2 warmbloods to be your "elf") have already gotten chocosanta's permission to be your elf.
Is all your info the same as on your signup last year? Like the address, and mailing issues, and the sizes:eek: of those meese?
Ok now we warmbloods aren't signing up to get gifts, just to be Eleanor's "elf" this year. So if you don't sign up, Eleanor, we warmbloods are gonna look uh dumb. And you should know that warmbloods are not dumb bloods.