Giving "maybe" notice
If gelding #1 isnt sound enough to show this year Im going to bring glelding #3 to the show barn. I need as much trainer time for #3 as I can get so Id like to give notice at boarding barn this week.
If I say Im leaving and then end up not leaving (because gelding #1 passes his vet exam) is that bad?
Seems like you risk loosing your stall. What does your boarding contrsact say?
It is if they have given your spot away.
Why not be honest with the BO about what is going on and see what you can work out?
If I were your BO I'd appreciate you discussing the situation with me and seeing what we could work out.
At my big boarding barn, we typically had a waiting list so I was pretty firm. We required formal notice. In other words, don't tell me you're leaving until you're ready for me to give your stall away. In practice I would typically call the first person on the waiting list and see how much notice they needed to give at their barn, and only hold the current boarder to that rather than the full 30 days specified by our contract. If that makes sense... I'm giving up coffee in the morning and having trouble with coherency this morning. :lol:
YMMV though and it's always good to know what you're dealing with and what your BO will hold you to. We were maybe stricter than some as we had a lot of student boarders so a lot of people came and went as they transferred or graduated or went home for the summer or whatever, so these sorts of situations came up a lot. It also depends on what kind of client you are--if you have other horses there, have boarded there a long time, pay on time, etc. you might be cut a bit more slack.
Unless I am reading this wrong you aren't actually giving up your stall, just switching which horse resides in it. I would talk to BO for a heads up, but it doesn't look like your actually leaving.
I agree with.. everyone.
Just talk to your BM/BO/trainer/whoever and explain the situation, and ask what their protocol is.
And just for clarification... Are you planning on keeping both horses at the show barn, or can you just switch them if #1 is not sound enough?
Talk to your BO and see what he/she says, they may be willing to work with you and work something out.
Different situation, but when I was moving my 2 out of the boarding barn and bringing them home, I did not have a firm 'moving' date (depended on weather/when the barn was finished and the fence up). So a couple months ahead, I gave the BO the heads up, "hey, I'm going to be moving my guys home sometime between months x and z, but I don't know exactly when. I'll keep you informed as it gets closer." So I just kept them updated with progress, and about 4 or so weeks ahead I had it pretty well figured when I should be leaving with them, and gave my formal notice. They were very nice, and volunteered to keep the stalls open for the rest of the next month, incase things got backed up and I had to keep them there longer. Which would not necessairly be the case in a barn with a waiting list... but talking to them about the situation well ahead made them very willing to work with me.
Been there, done that. Just talk to the BO and tell them the situation and ask them how they would like you to deal with it. Maybe they have someone waiting to come in that is flexible. Makes a difference if they are full with a waiting list or not.
Whats a boarding contract? Nothing in writing just a request for 30 day notice and not to bring my dogs. :lol:
Originally Posted by carolprudm
No Im not switching. I would be moving out of boarding barn. Long story.
Originally Posted by mjrtango93
I will talk to BO. I didnt want to bringi t up if I didnt have to. I like boarding barn. I dont want to move but we cant allways get what we want can we?