A slew of neurectomy questions. Please post if you've had experience!
Obviously posted under an alias because it's a bit of a touchy subject. I have a very nice horse that has been battling a problem in one of his front feet. My very good vet, who I trust, has suggested that a neurectomy might be the best option. The vet also told me, which I was surprised to hear, that the nerves usually regrow and the procedure might have to be done every year or more! That was news to me, and perhaps I'm only remembering neurectomies from my childhood which were a different procedure?! I associated a finality with nerving. Hence this post... I am very curious to hear, good and bad, from those who had had the procedure done...
1. Did you experience regrowth of the nerves/did the horse regain feeling in his foot and experience pain?
2. How quickly did that happen?
3. What was the reason for the neurectomy (what diagnosis of disease for the horse)?
4. How old was the horse when the neurectomy was performed?
5. Did the horse return to work? If so, was it the same level as before/after the neurectomy?
6. Did your horse experience any complications?
7. Did you have the standing or fully sedated version of the surgery?
8. Where did you get it done?
9. Did you do a second (or third or fourth) neurectomy following regrowth, and did you have success with that surgery?
10. Roughly, what was the cost for the surgery.
Thank you in advance. This is a really hard decision and it's difficult to get information that is down-to-earth. I know this is just anecdotal, but I want to hear from COTHers how things have gone for them. I am hoping to get a really wide range of honest experiences to inform my decision.