PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am Speculation --WHOOPS! List is NOT OFFICIAL yet! See pg. 5

pwynnnorman
May. 28, 2007, 11:38 AM
I knowwwwwww I shouldn't be the one to start this thread, but 1.) I think we need a distraction from the AT issues and 2.) wouldn't it be fun before Jersey Fresh to mull over it--and then see how we did afterward? Like those last weeks before it's known which teams will be in the NBA or NFL playoffs and stuff.

Let's have some fun speculating. (And, please, please, allow me to ignore my individual connection to it, OK? I want to just enjoy the sport as I used to, OK?) How do you think the *** and the mandatory Adv. will play out? How do they NEED to play out for some? Canadians, too, of course!

Jealoushe
May. 28, 2007, 11:51 AM
Unfortuneately for us Canadians, as most selection trials its basically take whoevers qualified...:( Im not sure if this years any different..

pwynnnorman
May. 28, 2007, 11:57 AM
So who's qualified so far? Who needs to do well at JF to quality? Is there still time? For whom? Me, I'd put money on Penny Rowland (sp?). Z'at reasonable?

Jealoushe
May. 28, 2007, 12:04 PM
Penny for sure I would think. Ian Roberts, and Im sure Hawley Bennett after her finish at Badminton.

snoopy
May. 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
The candians have some useful three star horse....where they have trouble is feilding a team...let alone a competitive one...for four star events. Their short list is not all that impressive (unfortunately)...but yes Penny has had some terrific results this spring. Kelly Temple and Paris...Ian Roberts and Napalm...the rest is up in the air. But as one previous post states..it really is about who they can get together as a team....It is too bad as the canadians used to be a dominant force in eventing and have had a hard time of it in the past twenty years.
Lets hope David has a master plan to get things together with our neighbours to the north. Though it is going to take some time.

Laurel&HollyFarm
May. 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
Please how can anyone ignore the PONY :D. My money is on him making it :cool:.

Other than that are Kristin Bachman and Gryffindor in the running at all after the problem at Rolex? I would really love to see them go. I am sure she will never let that happen again.

retreadeventer
May. 28, 2007, 01:42 PM
Phillip, Heidi, Karen.

Beyond those, it's a crapshoot -- perhaps Sara Mittleider, perhaps Will.

Can't remember -- who else got round XC at Rolex with only time, and jumped clear in stadium? I guarantee those are the ones on the top of the Captains' list. He's not too mysterious about his selections, it is pretty obvious he wants a good jumping animals who can be in the top ten after dressage. Oh and add Sunday nerves to the rider's requirements. Just from a 35 year observer...jmo obviously....

Jealoushe
May. 28, 2007, 01:48 PM
Canada = no money, no upper level events = no four star team:(

boppin along
May. 28, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hey, what about Jon Holling??? He has 2 great horses and has been cooking this year.
My money is on him!
And of course,
Philip
Karen
Heidi
Don't know who else is rockin

retreadeventer
May. 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
Yes. And Jan Byyny too.
I think the other three are pretty set though. We have to find the best XC / stadium pair out of the others. The Pan Ams are a cut below traditionally and under normal circumstances we usually wouldn't send our top riders but the next level in order to get good international experience under the belts of the green horses and new riders. Unfortunately, we don't have riches of advanced international horses and riders so we are going to end up sending our best I think. I know that Pan Ams are a great prep for Oly's and have traditionally be used as such but with the advanced pickings so sparse at the moment, I have to think that Pan Ams are really going to be another international survival test rather than a warmup, at least for Americans....sadly....

boppin along
May. 28, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hmmmm, sorry to say that Jan's horses have not seemed up to snuff this season.
What about Becky Holder?

NeverTime
May. 28, 2007, 04:34 PM
Becky Holder retired pretty quickly on XC at Rolex, so that didn't exactly prove their readiness. They've got a decent record, but they didn't get picked for the WEG last year when they'd had a better run-up (in the lead after XC at Rolex), so I think she'd have to do some pretty amazing riding (and pull off a clean SJ round) to get a ticket this year. I'd love to see her and Comet do well; this just might not be their year.

For the Canadians, I'd love to see Hawley and Hank represent their country another (last?) time in international competition. Kelli Temple and Paris are really strong, but they've been a bit off the radar lately, so hopefully they'll wow everyone at Rolex.

It's neat to see a few Canadians doing their first *** at JF, so hopefully that bodes well for the future.

ponyjumper4
May. 28, 2007, 04:46 PM
For Canada, I'll take Mike Winter.

For the US, the pony better go.

merry_one
May. 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
Heelllooooo. Doesn't anyone remember Lauren O'Brien posting a clean trip around the country at Rolex with only a few time faults and the only one besides "the pony" double clear on SJ. Her dressage is usually some of the best, she had an off day. So how about Lauren?

And yes, I'm cheering for the pony too!

NeverTime
May. 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
Hellooooo... I think there were a lot of stories reporting that Lauren said Rolex would be their last upper-level event together. They're retiring. So between that and the fact that they aren't entered in the selection trials, I don't think anyone's disrespectin' them by not picking them for the team.

karmakills
May. 28, 2007, 05:43 PM
Do they have to run a **** to be qualified? or just a ***?

blackwly
May. 28, 2007, 06:24 PM
Yes. And Jan Byyny too.
Unfortunately, we don't have riches of advanced international horses and riders so we are going to end up sending our best I think.

Does anyone else wish we could go back 10-20 years to when our top riders had 2-3 horses and lots of people had one great horse going, and the Pan Am Games were for our riders/horses who were developing their international skills? Because I have nothing against Karen and Phillip, but how does anyone else break into the US Team if they don't even have a decent shot at the Pan Am Games? I would love to see us send a group of talented "starter" international pairs who need the experience to become the Karen and Phillips one day.

snoopy
May. 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
Canada = no money, no upper level events = no four star team:(

This is THE big problem...and it does not seem to get better for them...sometimes it feels like the are fighting a losing battle. Pity really as they have some very dedicated riders. They just do not have the money or infatructure.

pwynnnorman
May. 28, 2007, 07:23 PM
Yes. And Jan Byyny too.
The Pan Ams are a cut below traditionally and under normal circumstances we usually wouldn't send our top riders but the next level in order to get good international experience under the belts of the green horses and new riders. Unfortunately, we don't have riches of advanced international horses and riders ...but with the advanced pickings so sparse at the moment, I have to think that Pan Ams are really going to be another international survival test rather than a warmup, at least for Americans....sadly....

Two questions. One, what do you mean by "a cut below traditionally" (I've heard that, too, but I've also heard that it's "required" to be a "real" three-star) and, two, not disagreeing with you, but how do you figure we (the U.S.) have a shortage of advanced horses? I could be wrong, but haven't there been upwards of 30-40+ horses at most eastern three-stars this season?

Meanwhile, I think if Antigua makes a good showing at JF, 18 or not, that'd be a strong addition--and a great story, too. And Jonathan Holling for sure, along with the others mentioned. And surely Kristin B. isn't out of the running? She's doing the mandatory outing and his record in stadium speaks for itself, doesn't it? And, just for discussion, if there are "slim pickin's" what about Dan, McKinleigh and Poggio (without getting off-track, please)? (I've never quite understood the "get them experience" vs. "go for the medals" philosophy(ies) behind past team selections. I did think it was to give up and comers experience--but others seem to disagree, at least this year? If it WERE, I would hope to see Sara and El Primero on the team.)

And is there any chance Jessica Ruppel (sp?) and NBN might be considered for the Canadian team? They've been extremely consistent!

[BTW, why in heavens name did they put that nosedive picture on the JF homepage slideshow?]

brindille
May. 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
what about Lesley Grant for Canada?

True Southern Pride
May. 28, 2007, 08:08 PM
Anyone know who has qualified so far?

RunForIt
May. 28, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'm hoping for 3 good phases for Mike Winter and Kingpin - incredibly talented horse but he is never easy. :cool:

Firefox
May. 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
From my knowledge the Pam Ams are for the up and commings unless we needed to qualify for the Olymics. Therefore I hope Bonnie Mosser has three continders in Jenga, Close the Deal and Merloch, I hope that she gets a spot, the other big guns would be being saved for the Olymics next year. JMHO GO BONNIE!! so my team would be Bonnie, Kristen, Sara and Becky

gully's pilot
May. 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
Clearly Karen isn't "up and coming", but the PONY is!

Firefox
May. 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
Oh, what was I thinking (hitting myself on the head) of course "teddy" should get to play down in Brazil!!!!

snoopy
May. 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
what about Lesley Grant for Canada?

Not likely...he (timmy) is having some trouble.

AM
May. 28, 2007, 09:30 PM
The Pan Ams used to be at the prelim level, I believe. There have been years when we needed a win at the Pan Ams to qualify for the Olympics and we've sent an A team. There are other years like this year when we are already qualified (based on our WEG finish) and can afford to send some less experienced horses/riders. There is usually at least one experienced team member who can lead the less experienced.

retreadeventer
May. 28, 2007, 09:35 PM
Does anyone else wish we could go back 10-20 years to when our top riders had 2-3 horses and lots of people had one great horse going, and the Pan Am Games were for our riders/horses who were developing their international skills? Because I have nothing against Karen and Phillip, but how does anyone else break into the US Team if they don't even have a decent shot at the Pan Am Games? I would love to see us send a group of talented "starter" international pairs who need the experience to become the Karen and Phillips one day.

The trouble is, the talented "starter pairs keep self destructing whenever they get off American soil; self destruct ON American soil or can't stay sound enough to get thru a soft upper level season. I am sure they'd go if they could prove themselves just a little bit!

rp4241
May. 28, 2007, 11:11 PM
Bonnie Mosser and Close the Deal!!!!

They were 3rd at the CCI*** at Jersey last year, 13th at Blenheim and many other very other solid Advanced level HT placings. He's sound, fit and ready to go. Jenga is my second choice (I can't help being a little bit biased towards Close the Deal :) !)! He (Jenga) was the highest placed American horse at Burghley last fall (11th), was 4th at the Red Hills CCI*** WC this winter. They had an unlucky moment on X-C at Rolex this spring but had a beautiful clear round last spring (just a little slow) and was one of the only clean sj rounds last year as well. He's also been to Luhmuhllen and the World Cup in Pau so has lots of international experience. He's the former US advanced champion and has way too many other wins and top placings to type out here... Bonnie is the greatest and has proven her talent time and time again. Bonnie is competitive, level headed, experienced and most importantly... a great gutsy rider and solid team player. She deserves a spot on this team!

~rebecca

Shrapnel
May. 28, 2007, 11:11 PM
ill guess...

karen, phillip, gina miles, bonnie, jon holling, kristin bachman and perhaps becky holder...

I believe at the Pan Am's you can have a 4 member team with 3 additional individuals. In 2003, it was here, at Fair Hill and we were able to have more riders, but this year we are limited to a total of 7....4 team, 3 individuals.

tuppysmom
May. 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
We interupt this Pan Am's selection thread to bring you this news update:

Sara Mittleider and El Primero have opted out of the Pan Am Games and will instead travel to England for the 4 star at Burghley HT in Sept.

We now return you to the speculation thread.

Copper
May. 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
In Canada we can have 4 plus 2. The EC criteria is subjective beyond the stated qualifying venues, my predictions are: Penny Rowland, Mike Winter, Waylon Roberts (if he is old enough, if not - his dad - Ian), Hawley Bennett and Jessica Ruppel and Samantha Taylor or Jessica DiGenova. Karl Slezak and Kelly List may have a shot based on the team and soundness criteria.
Now, lets see what I know on June 18th :)

I know there are quite a few contenders this year, so we may indeed have a team!

Firefox
May. 29, 2007, 08:21 AM
We interupt this Pan Am's selection thread to bring you this news update:

Sara Mittleider and El Primero have opted out of the Pan Am Games and will instead travel to England for the 4 star at Burghley HT in Sept.

We now return you to the speculation thread.

Very cool for Sara!!! We shall all be rooting for her!!!

Yes Bonnie and Close the Deal!!!

asterix
May. 29, 2007, 10:25 AM
Zowie Sara and Tony!!! Congrats and good luck!

Not offering any speculation but fun to listen in...

boppin along
May. 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
opps , forgot about Bonnie, 100% yes.
Then I see
Phillip for sure.
Karen and Teddy for sure
Jon Holling and Lion King and /or Direct Merger for sure
Heidi White
7th?
up for grabs, probably Kristen B

What about Amy ? Don't want to start anything, just am wondering is she is OUT for sure?

InVA
May. 29, 2007, 11:29 AM
Phillip, Heidi, Karen.

um... Kim Severson and Winsome Adante.. they didn't do too bad at Badminton...

LisaB
May. 29, 2007, 12:23 PM
Isn't the pan am's for horses and/or riders to get a taste of the team? Like up and comer's?
Then Kim and Dan don't NEED to run.
Phillip MAY want on the team just to get a good team run.
Definitely Karen and Teddy
Bonnie
Kristen
Jonathan
Heidi MAY want to do Burghley instead
Lauren
Jan MAY want to do Burghley instead
Kim with either horse that does well at Jersey
If Stephen does well at Jersey then him with From

I pick Teddy for a win.

hoofhearted
May. 29, 2007, 01:48 PM
I may be wrong, but this was my understanding...if the riders wanted to be considered for the pan am's, they HAD to compete at either Jersey Fresh or the event on the west coast (Woodside??) This was mandatory.
The rider list on the website is old...May 15th, but I have heard through the grapevine that Kim does not plan to run Dan, she is saving him for the Olympics. Jon Holling told me at a recent clinic that he is aiming Direct Merger towards Burghley in the fall.

InVA
May. 29, 2007, 01:53 PM
Isn't the pan am's for horses and/or riders to get a taste of the team? Like up and comer's?
Then Kim and Dan don't NEED to run.
Phillip MAY want on the team just to get a good team run.
Definitely Karen and Teddy
Bonnie
Kristen
Jonathan
Heidi MAY want to do Burghley instead
Lauren
Jan MAY want to do Burghley instead
Kim with either horse that does well at Jersey
If Stephen does well at Jersey then him with From

I pick Teddy for a win.

In that case Karen, Philip, Kim don't need to be on the pan am team.. since they already have team experience - especially Karen and Phillip..,.

LisaB
May. 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Teddy needs that experience so Karen did mention she was going to take him. And in the past, they generally have one or two experienced riders for anchors with up and coming horses (or ponies) to gear up for the Olympics. And Phillip maybe need to be on this team to get kinda 'in' with the US team. Plus it wouldn't hurt us :cool:

Laurel&HollyFarm
May. 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
Teddy needs that experience so Karen did mention she was going to take him. And in the past, they generally have one or two experienced riders for anchors with up and coming horses (or ponies) to gear up for the Olympics. And Phillip maybe need to be on this team to get kinda 'in' with the US team. Plus it wouldn't hurt us :cool:

Plus he just doesn't look right without a red coat on :D.

NeverTime
May. 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
Plus, Phillip's got Truluck entered along w/Connaught, and Truluck is more the type of ride one would expect him to have at the PanAms -- and experienced rider on a solid competitor who is new to the international level. I could totally see that pair end up on the team.:yes:

pwynnnorman
May. 29, 2007, 04:31 PM
Jon Holling told me at a recent clinic that he is aiming Direct Merger towards Burghley in the fall.

What about Lion King?

And, wow, what a record Bonnie has! I wasn't aware of that. Yup, she's getting my (dream on) vote now.

So does Naughty by Nature have a decent chance of making the Canadian team? That would be so great.

hoofhearted
May. 29, 2007, 05:13 PM
Jon told me he didn't run Lion King at Rolex to save him for the Pan Am's so he is planning on running at Jersey Fresh and hoping for a spot on the team. Simba is a poor trailer traveler, fly's ok, but doesn't trailer well so that is why he didn't come to Rolex to just do the dressage.

SportsfieldEventer
May. 29, 2007, 05:33 PM
I really hope Kristen gets a spot. I know the rider's ability to handle pressure is important, but the pair has proven themselves at some very big events in the past year.

Jan's horses are aimed at Burghley.

Jazzy Lady
May. 29, 2007, 06:11 PM
Jessica Digenova has not competed above ** so she won't be going ;)

We don't have the money backing us and unfortunately our bigger events are hitting the pooper. We only have 3 intermediate venues left in Ontario!!! Hopefully the Wits End CIC***WC will help out and next spring's Bromont CCI***, although with it and Jersey so close together, I doubt they will get the entries...

I think Penny on Windswept, Ian on Napalm, doubtful Hawley will go for a few reasons. I'd love to see Kelly List go (of course) on Minstral as they have been very solid so far this year. And don't forget Kyle Carter in the mix as well as Mike Winter... hmmmm

bornfreenowexpensive
May. 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
I'll play...

Karen (and the Pony), Kristin Bachman, Phillip, and Jon Holling. I think that Bonnie has a good shot as well....after that, as individuals...no idea....there were several young riders that look really good at Rolex and it would be great to see them go and get miles. I'd love to cheer for Mr. Big and Julia as well....he's a very cool little horse.

retreadeventer
May. 29, 2007, 06:37 PM
Gosh, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens at Jersey Fresh, then. I like Bornfree's list too.
I'm not sure I would summarily dismiss a chance at wearing the red coat for the team at the Pan Ams in favor of a Burghley run, were I some of the riders mentioned doing that, with one exception. It's this observer's personal view some of the horses being held out for Burghley aren't Burghley-worthy...let's leave it at that...
And yes we do NOT have a wealth of advanced horses. England has at least 200-300. We have less than 100 nationwide and many of those are not team candidates. (Just guessing at these numbers based on quick counts of entries at some horse trials. I am sure someone out there ANAL will correct me! phfff! Knock yourself out. My point is -- we don't have the pool they do.)
Of those who actually run at the three star level you can winnow out about half or more who can jump double clear/double clear. Then take another cut whose dressage could be improved to an international standard. We've had a problem for the last 10 years with enough international level advanced horses and I don't see anything that's changed that's made the problem better.. we barely had enough sound and qualified horses of that level to field a team at the WEG. Four star horses are different animals from three star horses. Or at least they should be in order to win or be on a team.

GotSpots
May. 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
Much as it's fun to see the old guard do their thing, I think/hope we're going to see some break-through performances this weekend from the next generation. I can think of a couple of teams that have been a little off the radar, but who might be choice candidates for a spot on the squad, particularly if they are on and they trot up well next week. Look at the Developing Riders list (http://www.usef.org/content/newsDisplay/viewPR.php?id=1841). There are some pairs there with really nice horses who have been knocking on the door for awhile, and some strong spring showings, coupled with a good run this weekend, might do it for them.

bornfreenowexpensive
May. 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that link Gotspots.....several of those riders I thought looked great at Rolex and I think that you are right.

pwynnnorman
May. 30, 2007, 06:56 AM
(Just guessing at these numbers based on quick counts of entries at some horse trials. I am sure someone out there ANAL will correct me! phfff! Knock yourself out. My point is -- we don't have the pool they do.)

Love how you put that! But it's an interesting point, too, that I'm not sure of...ARE we "light" on advanced horses--compared to whom??? The UK, for sure, but 1.) they aren't going to Rio and 2.) what about other countries? How many advanced riders do NZ and AUS and GER have? (I have no idea, so I do hope someone--anal or not--will inform us!)

Just wanted to add, too, that it's unfortunately about the "old guard" vs. new--but it's probably economics as much as anything, don't you think? It's tough to get the backing it would take to challenge the old guard's security and depth in horse flesh (and access to replacements, too). Right now--can correct me if I'm wrong--there are several talented young riders whose stables are only one-horse deep. Sure doesn't help them get the mileage or comparative degree of recognition they need to stand toe-to-toe with the pros that have a several advanced-level rides. I wish we had a system that could surmount that issue--like in the old days when talent was mounted on talent thanks to generous supporters.

yellowbritches
May. 30, 2007, 08:32 AM
I think it is important for everyone to remember (including the selectors) that this is the Pan Ams, so it SHOULD be for the internationally green riders to get their international debute without the shock and awe factor of the Olympics and the WEG. Consider who the other teams will be for a moment...Canada would be the only true competition, and from the sounds of it, they don't have the horse or man power they want right now. Otherwise, we'll be up against Latin American and South American countries. We're not going to be facing the likes of the British team, the German team, the French, the Aussies or those Kiwis. So, the riders (first) and the horses (second...I'd love to see Karen take the Pony, and she'd obviously be a great anchor, but I'd hate for Karen to take the spot of a good young rider that deserves a chance to shine) that haven't been on a team should get the oppurtunity.

Not a selector, so I have zero say in the matter. But it would be very nice to see the Pan Ams used for what they should be used for.

CookiePony
May. 30, 2007, 08:52 AM
The USEA website's news re: Woodside
http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=948

Sounds to me like Gina has a good shot at going to Rio. :cool:

vineyridge
May. 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
If I were picking, I'd choose experienced riders on greenish horses:
Phillip and TruLuck
Karen and Teddy
Kim and a youngster, if she has one qualified

Greenish riders on experienced horses:
Will and Antigua
Gina and McKinleigh
Heidi and Northern Spy
Bonnie Moser and one of her three

The point is to get horses and riders ready for the next Olympic Games. :)

tuppysmom
May. 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
pwynn makes an excellent point in that many of the younger riders have only one horse at or near the **** level. That is our reason for choosing Burghley over Brazil. We need to use our resouces in the most profitable, (and I don't mean $$), way. The only way to get **** experience is to compete in **** events.

Jealoushe
May. 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
In Canada we can have 4 plus 2. The EC criteria is subjective beyond the stated qualifying venues, my predictions are: Penny Rowland, Mike Winter, Waylon Roberts (if he is old enough, if not - his dad - Ian), Hawley Bennett and Jessica Ruppel and Samantha Taylor or Jessica DiGenova. Karl Slezak and Kelly List may have a shot based on the team and soundness criteria.
Now, lets see what I know on June 18th :)

I know there are quite a few contenders this year, so we may indeed have a team!

What level do they have to have completed to qualify? I wasnt aware that some of those riders were at the qualifying level. Would Karl be riding Rather Well? I would love to see that, we had one of his offspring but very sadly he passed away last summer from a patomic outbreak:(

Its unfortunate we just dont have the outside interest in Canada for sponsors and investors.

snoopy
May. 30, 2007, 02:35 PM
What level do they have to have completed to qualify? I wasnt aware that some of those riders were at the qualifying level. Would Karl be riding Rather Well? I would love to see that, we had one of his offspring but very sadly he passed away last summer from a patomic outbreak:(

Its unfortunate we just dont have the outside interest in Canada for sponsors and investors.

I believe the selection criteria is one than will favour proven four star horses as the Pan Ams are really the only way that the Canadian team can qualify for the olympics. So they really want to put their best horses forward for a completion and qualifing result. After that, than obvious form at three star level. The last pan ams at 2003 had Larissa (proven 4*), Aberdare (proven 4*), Livingstone and Balista (proven 3*) horses. There were other three star horse qualified but passed over in favour of horses that were competing at a higher level....again as they needed a qualifing result to compete in the athens olympics. It would seem that as they are in they same situation as before athens that the high performance commitee will again look at the most experienced horses they can field. A lot is riding on this result. So unfortuately Canada is not in the position to give an "up and coming" international horse a chance on the team.
And as you have stated it is very difficult to get together the money needed to send the teams...so CET are unwilling to take any chances.

pwynnnorman
May. 30, 2007, 05:12 PM
What level do they have to have completed to qualify? I wasnt aware that some of those riders were at the qualifying level. Would Karl be riding Rather Well? I would love to see that, we had one of his offspring but very sadly he passed away last summer from a patomic outbreak

Oh, yes! Is he qualified? I was just speaking with his owner the other day--I'm thinking of breeding Teddy's sister to him! Say, is there a way to look up the competition records of Canadian horses?

*EventRider*
May. 30, 2007, 05:37 PM
The best way is to go to www.eventingnews.com and go to the results section. You can type the horse or rider name in there.

jhodkin
May. 30, 2007, 06:03 PM
It's a long time from Badminton to the Olympics.... Having seen what 'saving' the British horses did for us at WEG... (ahem!), and the fact that Kim says Dan needs regular runs to keep his eye in, is Kim really not planning to run Dan in anything serious between now and then??...

Eventrgrl
Jun. 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
so, post jersey fresh what are people's thoughts???

Im thinking that Bonnie Mosser has most definitely earned a spot for sure...but with which mount?? and probably KO'C & Teddy as well as Mara Dean and Nicki Henley :) most likely Kristin Bachman and hopefully Emilee and Cahir. I wish Becky and Courageous Comet could be in the mix too, but who knows with their stadium troubles. I think though, that there are many many many more than appropriate candidates, it will be interesting to see whos chosen :yes:

pwynnnorman
Jun. 3, 2007, 10:12 PM
I've decided that a heck of a lot depends on what philosophies are behind the decisions: experience for the inexperienced (rider? horse?) or trouncing Canada...Ooops, I mean collecting medals. :D [Do recognize the lighthearted joke, OK?] But speaking of trouncing...I mean, whatever:D...Does anyone know what riders from our south are expected and how they have been faring? I think I remember two riders from Mexico? Brazil? at The Fork. Do they have to qualify in ways that are similar to ours? Anyone know anything about the course? The terrain? The HEAT???

pegasusmom
Jun. 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
The HEAT???

Well. . .. . Rio in July.

I seriously doubt that heat will be an issue as they are below the equator and it is winter there right now.

www.rio2007.org.br (http://www.rio2007.org.br) for a closer look

boppin along
Jun. 4, 2007, 08:15 AM
Here's the team I see,

Phillip
Karen
JON HOLLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bonnie
Kim
That is a strong team.

Alts
Heidi, Kristen,Amy???????????????

Sorry about Becky but after the disaster at Rolex last year, WD this year and now the fall and E at Jersey, her clances look slim to none

pwynnnorman
Jun. 4, 2007, 08:31 AM
I've thought JH a shoe-in since February--and Bonnie has certainly been incredibly consistent, and on a number of horses it seems. Dutton with TruLuck, right--not Connaught, ya think? Those first three would be the "inexperienced something" group, but I'm still confused about Gina, Kim and Amy. Overall, though, what a nifty group--but I guess I'm also beginning to see what someone meant about us lacking depth, given the repeat rider names in the lists we come up with, (but I still wonder about depth compared to whom?).

LLDM
Jun. 4, 2007, 09:37 AM
Well. . .. . Rio in July.

I seriously doubt that heat will be an issue as they are below the equator and it is winter there right now.

www.rio2007.org.br (http://www.rio2007.org.br) for a closer look

It may be "winter" there, but it is still geographically tropical. Rio is about as far south of the equator as Cuba is north of it. Plus the humidity is generally high. Pwynn is right to be aware/concerned about the conditions. I don't think it is a "no brainer", esp. in light of recent horse deaths. I hope no one is taking anything for granted!

SCFarm

pegasusmom
Jun. 4, 2007, 12:37 PM
Average winter temperatures in Rio range from the mid-60s to mid- 70s.

polo3day
Jun. 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
I can't believe no one is posting about this and that there hasn't been a press release yet. Haven't they announced the 6 selected and the 6 alternates?

rp4241
Jun. 6, 2007, 01:49 PM
I believe that they are going to hold off on officially announcing the team until next week.

wlrottge
Jun. 6, 2007, 03:37 PM
We always pull for Stephen and after talking with one of his people yesterday, I know they were still waiting to hear.

We'd also love to see Mike Winter and Sid (Secret Decision) go since we're very close friends with Sid's breeder.

pwynnnorman
Jun. 6, 2007, 08:08 PM
But since no one has, I have permission to...but that was this morning and I forgot a bit of the alternate/team/individuals details.

Karen and Teddy
Phillip and Connaught
Bonnie and Merloch
Gina and McKinleigh
Mara and Nicky Henly
Stephen and From

"Substitutes" (not sure what that means with respect to alternates):
Karen and Allstar
Phillip and TruLuck
Bonnie and Close the Deal

Around July 1st, they'll ship down here to OCET for the 10-day quarantine, then fly out of Miami to Rio on the 12th. Teddy is going to do Seneca (Prelim) just to have a cross country run in the meantime. He's just going a bit nutso wanting to get on with it, so Karen will let him let off some steam that way. Me, I'd rather just tranquilize his silly little butt for a month...and maybe smother it in bubblewrap, too.

FlightCheck
Jun. 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Congrats to all....but am Very Surprised that Jon Holling is not on there.

vineyridge
Jun. 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
If there are six and six, then Pwynn has missed three. I hope it's Lion King and Northern Spy and who?

pwynnnorman
Jun. 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
Those were the only names I wrote down. Sorry. But there's supposed to be a press release out soon.

Eventrgrl
Jun. 6, 2007, 09:52 PM
But since no one has, I have permission to...but that was this morning and I forgot a bit of the alternate/team/individuals details.

Karen and Teddy
Phillip and Connaught
Bonnie and Merloch
Gina and McKinleigh
Mara and Nicky Henly
Stephen and From

"Substitutes" (not sure what that means with respect to alternates):
Karen and Allstar
Phillip and TruLuck
Bonnie and Close the Deal

Around July 1st, they'll ship down here to OCET for the 10-day quarantine, then fly out of Miami to Rio on the 12th. Teddy is going to do Seneca (Prelim) just to have a cross country run in the meantime. He's just going a bit nutso wanting to get on with it, so Karen will let him let off some steam that way. Me, I'd rather just tranquilize his silly little butt for a month...and maybe smother it in bubblewrap, too.

thats a great team. i was expecting a few more "lesser-known talents" (there's a lot of "red coats" (i think all but Bonnie, and I suppose you could consider Phillip Dutton too...) on the team) but if we're preparing the potential olympic horses for next year all are very probable candidates. Not suprised to see Karen, Phillip and Bonnie have multiple horses on the lists but am suprised, like vineyridge, not to see Jon Holling at all... or Heidi White and Northern Spy :(

Clear Blue
Jun. 6, 2007, 09:59 PM
Congrats to all....but am Very Surprised that Jon Holling is not on there.

He was not at the top of his jumping form in Stadium at JF. He also looked very thin/tucked up at the beginning of X-C - and even more so on Sunday (compared to Red Hills). Maybe there were concerns as to how well he would travel (only speculating).

Foxygrl516
Jun. 6, 2007, 10:41 PM
It was very disappointing this weekend about Jonathan and Simba. True, he wasn't super in stadium, but Jonathan really deserves a red coat! He has been in the very top ribbons at every event this year. He didn't even get trotted up on Sunday though. What a disappointment! He was pretty bummed about it.
The list does look good though! I agree with whoever said that there are a lot of big names on there. Suprised to not see Kristen Bachman on the list, atleast as an alternate. Definately Bonnie's turn! Yay for her!

I haven't seen the Canadian list yet. We didnt' have a good enough weekend to qualify. :uhoh: But it's all good! :yes: I was SO PROUD of how my rider handled the weekend! She didn't get a qualifying score b/c of time on XC, but it was so hot she decided halfway around the course to give that up to save her horse. Good call.
wlrottge~ I'm hoping Mike made the list! But it won't be on Sid. Sid did really well this weekend, but in the 2*. Wonderful Will was stunning this weekend, but for some reason the selectors aren't interested in him yet. Mike did jog Kingpin for the selectors on Sunday evening. So keep your fingers crossed for him!

arnika
Jun. 6, 2007, 11:11 PM
I think it's a real shame that Jon is not on the list. After his showings on Simba this year he deserves to be there.

useventers
Jun. 6, 2007, 11:50 PM
Suprised to see Nicki Henley on the list. Although spectacular on the flat, he is very inconsistent x-country. Over any larger tracts he's usually 20 pts. or retirement. They must be counting on a winning dressage ride and an easier x-country at the pan am games.
I can't believe Jonathon/Lion King, who have been very consistent, are no where on the list. He seemed like the perfect "up and coming" rider to put on the team.

gully's pilot
Jun. 7, 2007, 06:26 AM
I had my fingers crossed that the selectors would look at Teddy's heart, not his height--you must be so proud! I saw him grazing at the VA Ht, looking merry and happy and full of himself like always.

polo3day
Jun. 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
Darren and Gus are also on the B team. I think it has to do with which horses look the best at the time they have to pick. Mara and Stephen both looked phenomenal this weekend. Becky and Jon both had trouble in sj. Comet is by now a proven **** horse so it would be a waste to send them to Brazil. Same for Heidi and Northern Spy. I hope they are both headed to Burghley for the fall. We should have a pretty solid team there. Is Kim on the "B" team with any of hers? I can't remember. I like that big grey she's riding now...

GO PONY GO!

polo3day
Jun. 7, 2007, 10:44 AM
Kristin and Griffin are also on the B team. ;-)

ponyjumper4
Jun. 7, 2007, 04:17 PM
I just want to add that both of my picks were right...Mike Winter will be representing Canada with Kingpin, and of course, The Pony

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 7, 2007, 04:26 PM
I just want to add that both of my picks were right...Mike Winter will be representing Canada with Kingpin, and of course, The Pony

How do you know about the Canadians? Do you know the whole list?

*EventRider*
Jun. 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
The Canadians are Mike, Sandra, Kyle, Waylon, and Jess Pheonix.

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 7, 2007, 04:55 PM
Canadian Team:

Kyle Carter, Calgary, AB, Madison Park; (Owners, Rider & Nicole Shinton)

Sandra Donnelly, Calgary , AB, Buenos Aires; (0wner: Sandra Donnelly)

Jessica Phoenix, Uxbridge ON, Exploring; (Owner: Jessica Phoenix)

Waylon Roberts, Port Perry, ON, Paleface; )(Owner: Kelly Plitz)

Michael Winter, Toronto, ON, King Pin; (Owner: King Pin Syndicate)

Named as alternates (in alphabetical order ) are:

Hawley Bennett, Langley, BC, Livingstone: (Owners: Hawley & Gerry Bennett)

Selena O’Hanlon, Elgin, ON, Colombo; (Owners: Elaine & Michael Davies)

Penny Rowland, Orangeville, ON, Windswept; (Owner: Don J. Good)

Samantha Taylor ,Richmond, BC, Livewire; (Owner: Samantha Taylor)

Nice to see Waylon make the team!

NeverTime
Jun. 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
Glad to see Sam Taylor in the mix, but suprised Penny and Hawley are alternates over some of the riders who did make the team. And I second Jazzy Lady, good for Waylon!

pwynnnorman
Jun. 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
My sincere apologies, folks! My BAD, BAD. The list I gave out was not yet official. Please wait for the official word. Terribly sorry.:cry:

boppin along
Jun. 7, 2007, 05:51 PM
Who makes up this list? Are there a group of "selectors" and if so, are they blind and crazy not to include Jon Holling and Lion King. They have been stellar all year and they are not even alternates???????????????
That's not right.

CookiePony
Jun. 7, 2007, 10:31 PM
I see that Penny Rowland and Windswept are Canadian Alternates and not on the main team... did I miss something? I thought that they had been very consistent this year.

Copper
Jun. 7, 2007, 10:50 PM
I see that not all of my predictions were off! I just knew Waylon would make it, bit surprised at Selena O Hanlon...................
I think we have a great team!

PuffyDo
Jun. 7, 2007, 10:55 PM
I hope Gina and McKinlaigh get to go! I stalked them both at Badminton, and he is such a hot stud!!! Definitely a major pony-crush...

arnika
Jun. 8, 2007, 10:49 AM
Who makes up this list? Are there a group of "selectors" and if so, are they blind and crazy not to include Jon Holling and Lion King. They have been stellar all year and they are not even alternates???????????????
That's not right.

You put this in the words that went through my mind when I saw the *list*. Pwynn, thank you for letting us know this might not be final. As a purely US oriented thought, knowing that Jon has Monty coming up behind Lion King wouldn't it be good to get him and some other up-and-coming riders/horses international experience as a prep for years to come? Now is the time while we don't have to place 1st to qualify for the Olympics. Not that such a team wouldn't or couldn't place first.

Jealoushe
Jun. 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
Im surprised about Hawley too, she just had a smokin round at Badminton.

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm suprised that windswept and Penny are only alternates. They had an amazing winter/spring season this year!

I'm not quite sure about all the riders on the Canadian team...

polo3day
Jun. 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
There is a team of selectors who watch these horses like a hawk and there is a full veterinary inspection the day following each big event (Rolex and Jersey Fresh) where they literally ultrasound every leg. There is a lot we do not have visibility to that goes on behind the scenes.

Lori B
Jun. 8, 2007, 04:19 PM
Minor highjack --

PWynn, did you say that Teddy is going to be at Seneca next weekend? Seneca over in Poolesville MD? Going Prelim?

If this is true, Westlaw and I are going to go watch him and behave in a way that is normally associated with public appearances by rock stars. How incredibly exciting! Dang!

wlrottge
Jun. 11, 2007, 01:19 PM
wlrottge~ I'm hoping Mike made the list! But it won't be on Sid. Sid did really well this weekend, but in the 2*.

Yeah, knew it would probably not be on Sid, but.... we can hope. He's still really young (8), so he's got plenty of time left! We want to see him do well b/c the stallion owner is a good friend of ours. He throws some NICE babies, but just doesn't quite get his due.

ponyjumper4
Jun. 11, 2007, 03:13 PM
How do you know about the Canadians? Do you know the whole list?

No, I didn't know the list, glad someone did for you. We (ThinLine) are one of Mike's sponsors and I found out from them.

Well, if when it becomes official, and Teddy isn't on the list, I will be thoroughly disappointed. I watched some of his rounds at Rolex (not live unfortunately since I had to work the booth), but he was by far one of the better looking "horses" around the courses--he made it look so easy.

Eventrgrl
Jun. 11, 2007, 10:12 PM
official list up (http://www.useventingnews.com/)

it basically seems like were setting up our possible h&r combos for the olympics next year... Phillip and Connaught, Gina Miles and McKinglaugh, Mara Dean & Nicki Henley, Bonnie Mosser and any of her *** horses... really the closest to "up and coming" on this list is Kristin Bachman.

arnika
Jun. 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
Congrats again, pwynn! Wishing Teddy and KOC all the best of luck. Hope they come in first.:D

I am bitterly disappointed that Jon and Lion King were not on the list anywhere. Is there any explanation why not? Frankly dulls my excitement over the games severely. No slight meant to the other riders or their horses, I just get a little tired of seeing the same old combos, it's nice to freshen it up a little.

boppin along
Jun. 12, 2007, 07:34 AM
I was told the officila list for Pan Am Games would be published on the 11th, yesterday. Can't find it anywhere, does anyone know the "official" list yet?

mythical84
Jun. 12, 2007, 08:08 AM
I'm happy for Stephen and From ... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for them.

Does anyone know what happened to Sloopy?

onthebit
Jun. 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
I was told the officila list for Pan Am Games would be published on the 11th, yesterday. Can't find it anywhere, does anyone know the "official" list yet?

See post #100 on this thread and click on the link.

annikak
Jun. 12, 2007, 09:06 AM
Was there an issue with Direct Merger at Rolex?

Maybe that impacted the decision for the Pan Am games...I have no idea, seems to be the only reason, unless there is something about Lion King we don't know.:confused: Whatever the case is-

I am SURE Jon will have his day in the sun- he is a fabulous rider! And that horse is amazing!

mjedge808
Jun. 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
PONY POWER BABY!! GO TEDDY!!!!!

I wasn't surprised at all to see Mr. Theodore on the list since he (and Karen) put in such a stellar ride at Rolex, but it's great to see it in print!!

NeverTime
Jun. 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
I would imagine it'd be difficult for John to be considered on Sloopy when the selectors chose to use Jersey Fresh -- a course John designed -- for the selection trials. A course designer usually isn't allowed to compete over a course s/he designed, so I imagine if John and Sloopy had run, done well and been selected, there would've been a hue and cry about an unfair process from those who weren't chosen.

Probably the most suprising selection, to me, was KOC and Allstar. The horse is a consistent *** competitor, but never a winner, and a new ride to her. She fell off him at MCTA a few weeks before JF, so it can't even be said that he's a super-dependable backup. Why that horse would be picked over Jon, or one of Bonnie's other rides that has placed better?:confused:

Foxygrl516
Jun. 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
...I have no idea, seems to be the only reason, unless there is something about Lion King we don't know.:confused: Whatever the case is-

I am SURE Jon will have his day in the sun- he is a fabulous rider! And that horse is amazing!

There is nothing about Simba that we don't know about. He is definately sound and able. For some reason, even though Lion King and Jon have consistently been in the top ribbons all year and incredibly impressive, the selectors simply told Jonathan on Sunday that they were not going to be jogging him that evening. Everyone (not just Jen and Jon) were SHOCKED Sunday night. It's just not right. Not a dig at anyone personally, but considering some of the other horses who were jogged (and some who are on the list somewhere) have multiple stops in this year's records, it's just uncool that Jon wasnt' even looked at. Bummer. He'll definately have his time to shine though!!! Nobody deserves it more!!!!!

pwynnnorman
Jun. 12, 2007, 02:05 PM
I had this discussion with someone in PMs, but I just want to say it here: I do wish things were more transparent. I understand the need to protect privacy when it comes to stuff like soundness issues, but if only it were possible to understand a bit better how decisions are made--perhaps helping those who are disappointed accept things? ("Accept" doesn't mean "agree with," of course.) And, y'know, understanding maybe would also help and encourage those who want to try--serious young riders and/or just young kids in general who dare to dream about getting on the team--prepare for whatever it is the selectors seek.

That said, in a PM someone indicated that it should be obvious that what the selectors are looking for are the pairs most likely to bring home ribbons. I agree, it should be...but it isn't...and maybe it can't (be)? I dunno, but I do think it'd be fun TO know, y'know? Part of the pleasure of watching it all unfold. But then again, is there any country out there which has a crystal clear selection process? (I don't know that, either. I'm seriously asking.)

mythical84
Jun. 12, 2007, 02:23 PM
What's so confusing to me is that I thought the reason that Jon/Simba didn't run at Rolex was so that he could go to Pan Ams. If that were the case (and I'm not an insider, so I don't know), then I feel as though this puts Jon/Simba at an incredible disadvantage for the Bejing Games as Simba hasn't completed a 4* course (having retired in 2006 according to useventing.com). I would think that we would only want to send the most experienced 4* pairs to Bejing.

holling
Jun. 12, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hey guys I hate to even let you know that I have read any of this as I sort of like to be in the shadows, but I feel a need to answer your questions. First of all thanks to all of you who think I should have been on the Pan Am list. There are alot of great horse and rider combinations on that list and to be there with them would have been great. I feel that Simba and I had a great year and should have been on the final list somewhere. That is not to say I am better than any of the names on it, but I do feel my record this year speaks for it self. That said I knew when I decided not to go to Rolex that I was taking a risk. Simba has not historically been the most consistent in the showjumping and that is what the selectors where looking at. While I still feel that my over all performance was good enough to make the squad, it was not as good as it should have been. I knew all I had to do was show jump clear. I did not do it. Oh well time to move on. I am currently planning my fall season which will hopefully include a trip to europe for a four star so that I can catch back up for next years olympics. What can I say I took my shot this time and now I will regroup for next year.

clivers
Jun. 12, 2007, 04:30 PM
Glad to see Sam Taylor in the mix, but suprised Penny and Hawley are alternates over some of the riders who did make the team. And I second Jazzy Lady, good for Waylon!

NeverTime -I'm also totally confused about those two. Here are the qualification criteria for the Canadian team - reading them carefully (esp. about prefering combinations with experience and 4* results) I have to say I'm scratching my head a bit!
http://www.equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=176&Itemid=371

Can't get anyone on equiman to weigh in with a theory, but does anyone here have any insights on how the Canadians chose their team? Are they deliberately giving the up-and-comers experience? (not including Mike)

bambam
Jun. 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
well thank you for explaining and providing some context. I am sure you and Simba would have been a great addition to the team. Good luck this fall showing the selectors they made a mistake :winkgrin: There will be many cheering you on!

pwynnnorman
Jun. 12, 2007, 04:48 PM
Thank you for coming out of "the shadows" and helping us to understand, JH! I thought you had a superb season and really enjoyed the excitement your rides have brought to the game!

arnika
Jun. 12, 2007, 08:18 PM
Jon, let me add my thanks to you for posting. bambam beat me to it but congratulations on your year so far and the best of luck in the fall. You have quite a contingent rooting for you even if we tend to stay in the shadows as well.;)

retreadeventer
Jun. 12, 2007, 09:13 PM
We need to get behind the team as picked, and wish them luck, and hope they represent as well as they can!
Bonnie will be wearing a red coat for the first time. Correct me if I'm wrong but the other four are previous team members, (Phillip w/ Australia) with exciting young horses that are great in all three phases, and could be the basis for our Olympic squad in the future. The alternates are also a stellar bunch and there's always a chance they'll be around for the first jog, you never know.
Lots can happen in a couple of months. I understand they go to Virginia in two weeks for training and then from there to Florida for quarantine and then to Brazil. It will not be easy there. We will need the whole team to be tough and ready for anything. It will be an experience unlike European or American eventing, that is for sure! They will need all our support to remain cheerful and optimistic because there will be a lot of things that will go wrong between now and then, they always do, but attitude means a lot toward a successful outcome.
I hope they get along, have fun, keep the horses sound, party regularly, enjoy the training, the quarantine and the trip down to Rio and come home sound, and with a good result!:))))

boppin along
Jun. 12, 2007, 10:08 PM
Cool of you Jon and so classy to respond.... BUT... You should have been on the A list and it is just so obvious!
YOU have the better record than...... and ...... and ....... and ..... oh yeah and let's not forget the all important.........
You just show them all . just like at Rolex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe you could move to NZ or Austrailia or Canada and they would recognize you for your talent and horses because obviously our country doesn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snoopy
Jun. 12, 2007, 10:14 PM
Cool of you Jon and so classy to respond.... BUT... You should have been on the A list and it is just so obvious!
YOU have the better record than...... and ...... and ....... and ..... oh yeah and let's not forget the all important.........
You just show them all . just like at Rolex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe you could move to NZ or Austrailia or Canada and they would recognize you for your talent and horses because obviously our country doesn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His wife is canadian...time for a switch of nationalities...and I am sure canada would welcome a horse and rider team of this calibre!!!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jun. 12, 2007, 10:16 PM
One more to add my thanks to Jon for posting. I am a new fan. I enjoyed talking with you for a few minutes at the USEA booth this year at Rolex. Tell Jen she needs to let you drive the BMW for more than just the maintenance trips or when it needs gas :D.

On another note GO PONY GO! Did anyone else notice that www.tackoftheday.com had a link to a video of Karen and Teddy?

Janette
Jun. 12, 2007, 10:17 PM
You know we consider you an honourary Canadian already!! I'd love to see you with the Canadian flag............

snoopy
Jun. 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
so would I...I am sure that there are many that would welcome the maple leaf on his jacket...least of all the high performance committe and equine canada. Who knows...who knows!!!!

oreo
Jun. 12, 2007, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=boppin along;2496839]
QUOTE]

Now that's just crass.

I agree that JH had a great year and in a perfect world, should have been picked. But it's crass to think you can criticise those that were selected. Please show some respect for their skill, ability and dedication. And for that of the selectors. Unless you are one of them???

holling
Jun. 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys, I was a little worried I might get everyonre going and tried to be very careful with my wording. I agree that we need to support the team members, they are the best we have and we should be very excited they are representing us. I have no doubt that they will do an excellent job for us. Please be careful when comparing records between us as they are all my close friends and I want them all to know I am behind them and support them. They all have very good records and had what it took to get selected. The experience of competing against them has been great and I can't wait for my next chance. By the way I had a great time getting my picture taken with Teddy after showjumping at Rolex. I have never had my picture taken with a real celebrity before! I can't wait to buy the Breyer pony of him.

wlrottge
Jun. 13, 2007, 12:32 PM
I had heard a rumor that some riders had declined to go b/c of the possibility of their horses contracting piroplasmosis.

Foxygrl516
Jun. 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry if my last post said too much. (nobody has said anything about it, but I tend to get poster's remorse). I held back and didn't want to post anything about Jonathan and Simba but then it was mentioned (harmlessly) that maybe he wasn't sound. I just didn't want rumors to spread that the horse was lame or anything.
I agree with all of those who said that our team is a very good one and should do VERY well! After the past few months I see just how hard it is to get to the point of actually being chosen for a team, and the US is one of the most competitive in the world. So all of the horses and riders on the list deserve it and are very outstanding teams! I am just very disappointed (like most of you!) that Jonathan got over looked.
His time will come very soon, and when it does we will all be very proud to have Jonathan riding for the US! (I'm a big Canada fan, but as a US citizen, I want him in red white and blue!!!) I think it speaks volumes about his character though that through this he has been so gracious and happy for his friends who made the list. As disappointed as he must be, he has shown more class than one could ever imagine. We are proud of you Jonathan are we're rooting for you!!!!!

oreo
Jun. 14, 2007, 12:37 AM
Bravo Foxygrl - well said!

And thank you JH for being so gracious. I'll be rooting for you next time, while rooting for the rest of the team this year. I know you will be there next time, which will make it all the more glorious :)

clivers
Jun. 14, 2007, 11:50 AM
Bravo Foxygrl - well said!

And thank you JH for being so gracious. I'll be rooting for you next time, while rooting for the rest of the team this year. I know you will be there next time, which will make it all the more glorious :)

Ditto - but as a Canadian I have to agree with all the "come ride for Canada" posters too :)

annikak
Jun. 14, 2007, 08:05 PM
JH- I have NO doubt you will make the team at some point, and I think you are indeed a very wonderful addition to the US Team (See...US team....US team... US team :lol:)
I *love* Simba! Plus, you have a great wife! ;);)
In all seriousness- thanks for replying, and indeed, the class the team is looking for.:yes:

Bensmom
Jun. 15, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi Jon! <wave>

I too, was surprised and sorry to see that you and Simba weren't named to the squad but wanted to applaud you for stepping into this very public light, explaining it a bit to us and being so gracious!

I know you will have a great year and we want you to know that we are all rooting for you! Glad to hear that you are at least getting to enjoy the Beemer once in a while ;) :lol:

We all wish the best to the horses and riders that will be on the Squad -- go Pony Power! :D

Libby

p.s. we would like to say too, that you are not allowed to go become Canadian! :no: We'll keep him, thanks! :D

flutie1
Jun. 15, 2007, 10:09 AM
Jon - I always knew you were a class act. This proves it!

Flutie

boppin along
Jun. 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=boppin along;2496839]
QUOTE]

Now that's just crass.

I agree that JH had a great year and in a perfect world, should have been picked. But it's crass to think you can criticise those that were selected. Please show some respect for their skill, ability and dedication. And for that of the selectors. Unless you are one of them???

boppin along
Jun. 15, 2007, 06:00 PM
Sorry Oreo.that was not meant as a slam to any of the team, I am thrilled for all of them and think they are all great BUT. It was just a big poo poo to the selectors for overlooking such a talent.
Jon, that was taking the high road and you should name your next horse"Kharma" It all comes back around eventually.

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 15, 2007, 08:13 PM
JH - I agree with the others who say join the dark side (Canada of course!) We'd LOVE to have you! ;)

The US team has enough great horses and riders, we'd like some please!!! :D

Too Old for Pony Club
Jun. 18, 2007, 08:54 AM
JH - I agree with the others who say join the dark side (Canada of course!) We'd LOVE to have you! ;)

The US team has enough great horses and riders, we'd like some please!!! :D

We'd consider it a trade for Stuart Black ;)