PDA

View Full Version : The truth about the death of Barbaro

Cubs
May. 24, 2007, 04:39 PM
My sentiments exactly. Go to the link below and read the second article on the page where it starts "The Death Of Barbaro."
http://www.thesportstruth.com/categories/barbaro/

Barbaro had an unfortunate accident. Why can't everyone leave it at that? In my opinion, the purpose of a healer is not to prolong suffering. All horses are equally important. But I guess the great ones deserve to suffer. I think I know why.

Cubs

Thomas_1
May. 24, 2007, 06:17 PM
Barbaro had an unfortunate accident. Why can't everyone leave it at that?
Cubs erm............... so why did you post then???? It was you that brought the subject up!!!!

Procella
May. 24, 2007, 06:24 PM
this is why I will never go to a horse race, or watch the Kentucky Derby or any of the big races on TV -

flshgordon
May. 24, 2007, 06:32 PM
My sentiments exactly. Go to the link below and read the second article on the page where it starts "The Death Of Barbaro."
http://www.thesportstruth.com/categories/barbaro/

Barbaro had an unfortunate accident. Why can't everyone leave it at that? In my opinion, the purpose of a healer is not to prolong suffering. All horses are equally important. But I guess the great ones deserve to suffer. I think I know why.

Cubs

OMG that guy could not be a bigger **ick if he tried! :rolleyes:

Glad to know you agree with him.....just one more person on this board that I can ignore their posts entirely.

Cubs
May. 24, 2007, 06:53 PM
OMG that guy could not be a bigger **ick if he tried! :rolleyes:

Glad to know you agree with him.....just one more person on this board that I can ignore their posts entirely.

I'm glad you took the time to write that you're ingoring me.

deltawave
May. 24, 2007, 06:56 PM
You are a piece of work. :lol: Or, put slightly differently, a whack job. :rolleyes: Where would we all be with out the muckracking loonies with secret knowledge and an axe to grind? :p The world would be ever so much duller...please carry on. :lol:

Cubs
May. 24, 2007, 07:14 PM
You are a piece of work. :lol: Or, put slightly differently, a whack job. :rolleyes: Where would we all be with out the muckracking loonies with secret knowledge and an axe to grind? :p The world would be ever so much duller...please carry on. :lol:

Delta-Wave what's that flower you are on
Could you sniff it in your nose and get a high?
I really do not mind
You think I have an axe to grind
I wish we all can see you roll your eyes. (instead of that clever smiley face you creatively inserted)

EVERYBODY!! On Three!

Delta-Wave...........

chaltagor
May. 24, 2007, 07:23 PM
It's so nice when my distrust and disbelief in chiropractic and those who practice it is justified. :lol:

jumpthattb
May. 24, 2007, 07:32 PM
You guys are so funny! You go Cubs! LOL

Buffyblue
May. 24, 2007, 09:35 PM
That article is the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen, written by one of the most ignorant morons I've ever been exposed to. GAG.

JB
May. 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
Cubs, I'm a BIG fan of good chiropractic work, and I have your book and video, but honestly, you are doing your profession a huge disservice and turning people off of it out of principle if nothing else. It's like some commercials I see out there - so incredibly annoying they make me not want to buy the product because OF the commercial!

Do you ever wonder how many "sick" horses were used as subjects to further the knowledge of chiropractic work? I bet more than one.

Do you ever wonder how and why we have so many wonderful techniques to aid injured horses today? Because of horses like Barbaro and the $$ of people like his owners.

Think of the good things that have been learned in treating Barbaro. Look at what became of trying to save Ruffian.

Coup De Des
May. 24, 2007, 09:47 PM
I thought both those articles were hilarious.

I think the Barbaro Show needs to be well and truely over.. People who still post on the internet about how teary they are whenever they read something about Barbaro...The people who continue to post about Barbaro every single day.. FFS people! Light your candle for something else now. It's OVER. Go mourn a family member or pet that you actually KNEW.

Big_Tag
May. 24, 2007, 09:49 PM
I don't agree with the whole "all racing is bad, get off the high horse, blah blah blah" but I *do* agree that the general public is a little misinformed about racing in general. A lot of people I am acquainted with who don't follow racing were aghast when it happened, like it was some one-in-a-million tragedy. Which I am sure everyone here will agree is not the case, it DOES happen all the time, he is right about that. It certainly isn't feasible to limelight *every* horse it happens to, of course.

As for the "inhumane, forced nature" of racing, PSSH. Tell that to our 7-y-o gelding with a strained tendon who is absolutely bouncing off the walls to go back out and race, and is bewildered beyond belief when all he is allowed to do is jog. He loves to race. Of *course* he would be fine without it, but he certainly isn't being forced into something he doesn't want to do. Sometimes, things.just.happen. Rather than shun racing as an inhumane sport, point the finger at the owners/trainers that misuse/mismanage horses, not at (from all appearances, at least in this case) good trainers who undergo unfortunate circumstances like this. Misdirected rabidity isn't going to do anyone any good.

Auventera Two
May. 24, 2007, 09:51 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Coup, you and I don't see eye to eye on much, but dang woman, that post was great! :D :winkgrin:

matryoshka
May. 24, 2007, 11:00 PM
The author of the second article hasn't met many (if any) real live race horses before. If I recall, the jockey had a hard time pulling Barbaro up when he broke his leg. When they don't want to run, no amount of whipping will get them across the finish line any faster.

I wish he'd seen my OTTB at an endurance ride when he was trying to hit 40 mph while I was standing in my stirrups trying to get him to stop! And this was after 5 miles of fast-paced work! My horse scared the $%* out of me, because we weren't on nicely groomed dirt--we were galloping hell bent for leather across a meadow!!

I wish people who wrote these kind of articles had a better understanding of the animals they imagine are being abused. Perhaps if the author had the b*lls to work at a racing barn for a few weeks or months, I might believe his take on racing. Chances are, all he's done is gotten carpal tunnel syndrome from typing at a keyboard all day and the most exercise he gets is letting his imagination wander.

We all know that horses get abused at the track (more likely in the barns than in front of thousands of onlookers) and that there are horrific accidents. But for heaven's sake, RESEARCH so that the article is at least credible!! Talk about the real problems, not use Barbaro as a crutch. There are plenty of stories that need to be told and can be done in a good manner that will focus publicity where it can do some good.

Cubs
May. 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cubs, I'm a BIG fan of good chiropractic work, and I have your book and video, but honestly, you are doing your profession a huge disservice and turning people off of it out of principle if nothing else. It's like some commercials I see out there - so incredibly annoying they make me not want to buy the product because OF the commercial!

Do you ever wonder how many "sick" horses were used as subjects to further the knowledge of chiropractic work? I bet more than one.

Do you ever wonder how and why we have so many wonderful techniques to aid injured horses today? Because of horses like Barbaro and the $$ of people like his owners.

Think of the good things that have been learned in treating Barbaro. Look at what became of trying to save Ruffian.

No one is saying that horses don't greatly contribute to the advancement of medicine. But I think it was just plain cruelty to keep Barbaro alive, rather, suffering, as long as he did--REGARDLESS OF THEIR MOTIVES. If he would have been any other horse, he would have been put down long before. It was Barbaro's MISFORTURE that his owners were rich and was, from what I read, insured for so much.
Incidently, I hope you're enjoying the book and video. Both are still great sellers, but will soon be out of print--in about three weeks and no longer availabe. I no longer conduct seminars and I made the decision to take both out of circulation.
dk

Rubs Not Pats
May. 24, 2007, 11:34 PM
You know, I think it would be great sport to publicly drag those horribly money grubbing, sadistic Jacksons through the mud again. I say BRAVO! Let's do it! I only hope that horses are so fortunate to get treated the way Barbaro was! While we are at it, let's call into credibility the caring and self interest of his doctors. After all, if it wasn't the money and the Jackson's it must have been the publicity seeking doctor.

While we are at it, let's all join PITA in a round of "riding horses is cruel". You know I had a horse who died in a round pen accident, therefore all round pen's are bad. I had another horse go lame at a show jumping competition, so that must be bad too. OH forgot, I had another break a leg right when Barbaro did, so we should condemn what he was doing too......oops, he was in turn out, can't do that.

Seriously, there are problems in racing, no doubt but rest assured that Barbaro isn't so much an example of what is wrong, as what is right. Save your hurt feelings for the poor $2500 claimer at Prescott Downs.

spacely
May. 25, 2007, 12:05 AM
Choo-choo. I've got chocolate, popcorn & margartias, I'm set.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rockfish
May. 25, 2007, 12:39 AM
this thread is bound to have the drama-llama appear...

I'm EBO
May. 25, 2007, 12:47 AM
Who is "cubs" and what is he/she/it doing here, in Horse Care?

glitterless
May. 25, 2007, 04:03 AM
People cried when Princess Diana died. How many of them knew her? It's a human reaction. We get to "know" these people and animals via the media and they feel like a part of the family. Maybe some of us do need to get a life, but I can cry over a dead horse that I've never met in a heartbeat. That's just me. Barbaro wasn't the first famous animal that I've cried over and he probably won't be the last. I'm not ashamed by that.

I don't think that the author of the 2nd article has come face to face with many animals at all. Why can't a horse be brave? Who refers to euthanasia as "killing"? This guy should get back to writing about inanimate objects like soccer balls or hockey pucks. He obviously knows nothing about the sport of horseracing.

Coup De Des
May. 25, 2007, 06:14 AM
People still aren't posting Daily Updates about Princess Diana... Nor are they still saying "good morning, good night Princess Diana"

I don't think you can force a horse to run.. my own tb has breeding up the wahzoo and incredibly talented, famous brothers but his trainer said that he had the speed but didn't want to run and they couldn't make him. I'm sure they had a fair go.. but at the end of the day it's a living, breathing, thinking animal and sometimes you just won't see eye to eye.

Anyway. I think the Barbaro thing needs to be over. Done and dusted.

If you are still crying over his death you need to seek professional help.

glitterless
May. 25, 2007, 06:38 AM
Who is posting daily updates about a dead horse? Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. I thought that the journalist was referring to the number of people who seemed to be upset over Barbaro's death -- at the time of his death -- and not a cult of people who still cry over him daily.

PiedPiper
May. 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
People still aren't posting Daily Updates about Princess Diana... Nor are they still saying "good morning, good night Princess Diana"

I don't think you can force a horse to run.. my own tb has breeding up the wahzoo and incredibly talented, famous brothers but his trainer said that he had the speed but didn't want to run and they couldn't make him. I'm sure they had a fair go.. but at the end of the day it's a living, breathing, thinking animal and sometimes you just won't see eye to eye.

Anyway. I think the Barbaro thing needs to be over. Done and dusted.

If you are still crying over his death you need to seek professional help.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JB
May. 25, 2007, 07:11 AM
No one is saying that horses don't greatly contribute to the advancement of medicine. But I think it was just plain cruelty to keep Barbaro alive, rather, suffering, as long as he did--REGARDLESS OF THEIR MOTIVES. If he would have been any other horse, he would have been put down long before. It was Barbaro's MISFORTURE that his owners were rich and was, from what I read, insured for so much.

This is just amazing. Did you actually see anything live about Barbaro when he was recovering? He was eating, bright eyed, dragging his people out for his daily grass, and so on. Hardly sounds like suffering to me. He was put down when he was clear that the latest round was likely going to do him in anyway and was clearly causing him problems. I take it that you'd rather see every horse with severe laminitis or founder put down too without trying to save them because it would be too cruel? Based on your comments, any injured or sick horse who has a chance of not making it, regardless, should just be put down right off the bat. If it's your horse, go a head and make that decision, it's your decision, but please don't bash people who choose to try to save a horse if he has a chance at a decent life afterwards.

eggbutt
May. 25, 2007, 08:28 AM
What's amazing to me is Barbaro has been dead since JANUARY 29 and people are still digging up archived articles written the week after he died! Talk about getting a life and moving on! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OP...take your own advice!!

JSwan
May. 25, 2007, 09:11 AM
Amen. Reminded me of the death of Princess Diana. Sure - it's sad. Really sad. But the maudlin hysteria cult of grief self flagellation hairshirt thing.... a bit over the top.

I'm sure a sociologist has a name for that type of cultofgriefmania. I'd love to know what it is.

I was interested in his recovery - because I knew that vets were learning scads of stuff on treating ortho injuries. Not surprised he was put down, though.

Didn't consider it an indictment of an industry, vets, the owners, or anything else. Horses live, they die. Sometimes quietly, sometimes in pain or sickness. Sometimes in front of others. Just like every living thing on the planet.

I thought both those articles were hilarious.

I think the Barbaro Show needs to be well and truely over.. People who still post on the internet about how teary they are whenever they read something about Barbaro...The people who continue to post about Barbaro every single day.. FFS people! Light your candle for something else now. It's OVER. Go mourn a family member or pet that you actually KNEW.

Auventera Two
May. 25, 2007, 09:15 AM
Who is posting daily updates about a dead horse? Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. I thought that the journalist was referring to the number of people who seemed to be upset over Barbaro's death -- at the time of his death -- and not a cult of people who still cry over him daily.

Check out the racing forum on this board. Trust me, there is still a ton of people here who cry into their cheerios every morning because of that horse.

My own horses died in a barn fire 3 1/2 years ago, and it was absolutely devestating. The most devestating, crushing pain I have ever felt. There was absolutely nothing like it that I've ever experienced. I felt suffocated with grief. I couldn't eat or sleep for days.

But 1 month after the fire, I bought my Arab and I've never looked back since. Three months later we brought the daughter of the mare who'd died in the fire home, and I've not looked back since. I had to go on. I had to allow the memories of my deceased horses to exist, but not suffocate, and linger but not dictate.

I was there when our horses were babies, I helped raise them and break them and train them. I fed them and groomed them and did their groundwork. I had my mare for 10 years and showed her, did lessons, and she was a great friend of mine. I will never forget the day I saw that mare at a salebarn and my heart stopped. I knew I had to have her. We weren't even there to buy a horse, but she HAD to come home with me. She was a horse of a lifetime. And then I was there the morning the smoke and fire was coming out the roof of the barn and we couldn't do a damned thing to save them. I had to make the phone call to my mom and tell her that our horses were gone, in a fire, they didn't make it, you've got to get here now. That's the hardest call I ever made because I'd never in my life heard so much anguish in my mother's voice. But we got through it and we moved on. You pull up the bootstraps and take another step toward life.

The owner of that boarding barn posts on this forum, and she's a strong lady. She has a gorgeous mare that she rides now and she too picked up her pieces and carried on. I'm so proud of her. She's built a lovely new barn and as far as I know, she didn't let it destroy her. The horses she lost were ones she'd raised herself from her own mares, and her old sweet gelding who was her partner for 20 or whatever years.

So what I cannot understand is the people who never laid a finger on Barbaro, never saw him in person, and never had a single connection to him, but yet CANNOT let him go.

the sauce
May. 25, 2007, 11:51 AM
It kills me when people make the "racing is cruel" and "horses get abused at the track" and "I will never watch the big races (as a protest)" comments - EVERY area of the horse industry has abuse and mistreatment of horses. I've groomed $2500 Standardbred claimers who were treated better and were more sound than some Grand Prix jumpers my friend groomed. The racing industry has a bad rap (don't get me wrong, after working with both SBs and TBs, LOTS of changes need to be made) but please know the same bad things happen everywhere in the equine world. Don't be ignorant to it - it doesn't help anyone.

Tree
May. 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
Interesting take in that article. Unpopular yet contains some truths too. Racing is a sport. Horses are exploited. Money is made and lost. Not every horse will hold up to the demands of racing. Some people have the $$$$ to try everything Veterinary can offer. Just as can happen with even less financially supported efforts to save horses, more money spent won't guarentee success.

Thanks for sharing the article link. It was a refreshing change from what I've read before.

Tree

harvestmoon
May. 25, 2007, 12:19 PM

Perhaps they did several months after it happened. ;) I'm sure after 10+ years, the Barbaro hubub will have died down. ;)

Who knows.

But, frankly, if people still want to talk about Barbaro (or Princess Diana for that matter), let 'em. Whatever floats their boat.

eggbutt
May. 25, 2007, 01:01 PM
But, frankly, if people still want to talk about Barbaro (or Princess Diana for that matter), let 'em. Whatever floats their boat.

BINGO!

Don't visit the Racing forum and/or read the Barbaro thread if you are not interested on what is being posted. It's called "tolerance for others who don't need your permission or approval to have their thoughts/opinions/emotions and live their lives".

Every couple of weeks there seems to be several posters who have the need to impose their will and thoughts on others...to them I say, Get over it and move on and leave others, who are not bothering you in the slightest, alone.

hitchinmygetalong
May. 25, 2007, 01:35 PM
If we are not welcome to post our opinions about Barbaro and his fate on the never-ending thread on the Racing forum, perhaps you who feel compelled to tell us that might leave THIS thread to us.

Thank you.

p.s. I never, ever, for one second, thought Barbaro would survive. Every new "happy happy joy joy" headline was painful as it reminded me that the inevitable was going to be a very difficult experience for the public, and that racing would, once again, take it on the chin.

p. p. s. I never, ever, ever thought the horse was being kept alive for monetary purposes, either. I admire the Jackson's tremendously, and I'm sure it broke their hearts to say, "Let's do it."

ddashaq
May. 25, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hitchinmygetalong and Auventura Two, those were awesome posts.

AT, I am so sorry you had to go through that. I cannot even imagine.

eggbutt
May. 25, 2007, 02:18 PM
So what I cannot understand is the people who never laid a finger on Barbaro, never saw him in person, and never had a single connection to him, but yet CANNOT let him go.

But, why do YOU have to understand it? Why do YOU care that other people have not let their experience go? Why haven't YOU moved on from posting regular complaints chastising those who have not moved on? Why do YOU persist in even looking at any thread regarding Barbaro if not to antagonize others?

fourhorses
May. 25, 2007, 02:22 PM
Is there some change in the astrological balance -- I've noticed a plethora of Barbaro posts. Why? Is all I have to ask. You can do whatever you like I suppose, unless it envolves the abuse of small animals and selling illegal substances to children, but I too wonder why the hang up on Barbaro (didn't get the hang up on Princess Di either, but maybe that's just me).
People calling him "Barbaro the Great", saying he was a messenger from heaven, etc. ...isn't that a bit much? Can one see why, what with that sort of thing going on, ANY thread on Barbaro brings out comments about people being crazy?
Is there some big "death" conspiracy now? Will Barbaro be the next JFK?
Sorry for being flippant -- it's just that I saw it as a sad thing that happened to a nice, not great yet mind you -- he really hadn't done that much in his career -- racehorse. Well, that's a shame, and I really wanted a TC winner and was pulling for him to beat the odds in recovery, but not candle lighting for him -- certainly not now.

eggbutt
May. 25, 2007, 02:35 PM
Fourhorses, I hear you....there's a thread on the Racing forum that's over a year old now. It's still alive and well and most choose to ignore it or read it and some continue to post on it. It is obviously bothering some for some reason but it truly is alive and well and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. So what? Many of the latest new threads may be popping up because of the Preakness and all the coverage Barbaro received last week.

It's threads such as this one where the OP dragged up year old articles to begin her(?) tirade that really begin to irritate me and cause me to get on a soapbox about why others care so much that others still care so much.

Auventera Two
May. 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
It's threads such as this one where the OP dragged up year old articles to begin her(?) tirade that really begin to irritate me and cause me to get on a soapbox about why others care so much that others still care so much.

And why exactly do you care that we care that they care so much? Doesn't seem to be any of your business, now does it?

P.S. - Eggbutt, I still have your nasty PMs in my inbox from the Barbaro fiasco. I deleted almost everything, but for some reason 3 of yours are still there, along with some from a few other people. For someone who wants people to just leave other people alone, you sure don't hesitate to dish out the threats and nasties on the private forum.

fourhorses - So yes, I see what you mean, this whole Barbaro thing just brought out the ugly side of some people.

eggbutt
May. 25, 2007, 02:46 PM
Boy, that was an intelligent response. Leave it alone why can't you?

VirginiaBred
May. 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
I continue the Barbaro thread on the racing forum due to the extremely high number of requests I receive to do so. I (obviously) now only post things related to Barbaro, such as the fund for Laminitius Research and how to hep raise money for that, updates from the Jackson's in regards to related Barbaro topics, etc.
The fact that any horse touched so many lives isn't news.
The fact that this one did, and from his death so many others may have a chance to be saved, is.

Why show so much bitterness about something that can do so much good in our equine world? So what if posters indicate they have a void because of him? Who cares if folks want to say a prayer or light a candle for him? He has singlehandedly opened the eyes of thousands who only came to know him through his horrific journey. Thank God they did, as it's because of those folks so many horses have been saved throught the rescues the have been developed, the money that has been raised and the education that has been shared.

I thank each and every one of those unknowns that say "Good Morning" and "Good Night" and "I Miss you Barbaro".

They, one day, could be saving a TB I bred and I once loved.

harvestmoon
May. 25, 2007, 03:30 PM
And why exactly do you care that we care that they care so much? Doesn't seem to be any of your business, now does it?

And why do you care that they care that you care that they care? :lol: Sorry, could not resist.

Anyway, I don't care. ;) If you want to discuss why people are still harping on Barbaro, go right ahead. I was just stating my views, like everyone else. :)

Auventera Two
May. 25, 2007, 04:01 PM
:lol: Okay, now I think we're just wasting bandwidth. :winkgrin:

matryoshka
May. 25, 2007, 04:21 PM
A group of "Friends of Barbaro" bought two nice drafts out of a kill pen in memory of Barbaro. We are still working on getthing them used to being ridden and having their feet handled, but that is something really good that came out of caring about Barbaro.

I figure that people who have grieved so much for Barbaro may in part be grieving for other things lost in their lives. It may be doing them some good to have a way to get all of that out of their systems. So it doesn't bother me that people are still posting their thoughts. If we can see something good come from something so tragic, it gives us all a chance to heal in spirit.

What I don't like is for Barbaro's tragedy to be taken up as a banner to try to end the sport of racing. Fix the problems, sure. Research the problems before writing articles about them, absolutely. Then write articles about how things can be improved, responsibly.

Ouch! I just fell off my soapbox. That's what I get for standing on it until the boards get weak! ;)

ddashaq
May. 25, 2007, 08:12 PM
Boy, that was an intelligent response. Leave it alone why can't you?

You could take your own advice.;)

FWIW, I don't care who cares about whether or not other people care. :yes:

goeslikestink
May. 25, 2007, 09:19 PM
rest in peice-- poor horse cant

irishcas
May. 25, 2007, 10:00 PM
I (obviously) now only post things related to Barbaro, such as the fund for Laminitius Research and how to hep raise money for that, updates from the Jackson's in regards to related Barbaro topics, etc.

Uhhh it's Laminitis not Laminitius.

If you are going to support something I think it is important to spell it correctly :)

Regards,

Freebird!
May. 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
Sheesh - whatever happened to "To each his own" or "Different Strokes for different folks?".....For me, I don't get so much out of reading someone's blog copied and pasted here on a twice daily basis, but who cares? I am just one out of an almost 30,000 member community. If people still enjoy reading about Barbaro, then wonderful. It isn't very hard for me just to skip over the thread over on the racing forum. But as Matryoshka said, (good post btw, Matry) don't go using Barbaro as your scapegoat for your "Racing Is Cruel" slogan. My horse got a compound fracture above his hock while frolicking in a pristine pasture - does that mean that letting horses out to pasture is cruel too? Now, the one thing I WILL agree with the author of the article is that it does bother me that Barbaro has received so much attention when others just as brave and courageous - LOTF, Charismatic, etc - did not. Just my thoughts....

R D Lite
May. 26, 2007, 12:47 AM
I can't say I've posted here (or anywhere else) about Barbaro much, but I see nothing wrong with those of us who still think about him. It certainly isn't hurting anyone.

I followed Barbaro's story closely in part because during his struggle, my own Thoroughbred was fighting for his life. My horse spent time in the horspital here in Montana while Barbaro was in New Bolton. (My vet is even named Dr. Richardson!:) ) Caring for Reuben every day, not knowing if he would get better or not, asking over and over, "Should we keep fighting, or is it time to stop?"--all of these things are lonely tasks. It helped to know that other people were feeling them, too. I had to put Reuben down on December 15, and six weeks later Barbaro, too, was euthanized.

I can't tell you how many people have told me, "I didn't know why you were trying so hard to save some horse, but this whole Barbaro thing has helped me understand." No, not everyone gets it. But Barbaro gave a lot of people insight into the horse-human bond and the idea that horses have individual personalities, just as people do. It helped people understand that horses are not interchangeable like a motorcycle or a car. What's so bad about that? :)

freshman
May. 26, 2007, 01:48 AM
this is why I will never go to a horse race, or watch the Kentucky Derby or any of the big races on TV -

Which makes you especially ignorant about the whole subject.

rcloisonne
May. 26, 2007, 06:59 AM
What irritates me is some folks who still weep and light candles over the loss of Barbaro are shallow and illogical. For example, here is part of a post regarding the tragic accident and death of Mending Fences. The majority expressed their horror but get a load of this one:

Not to sound unfeeling, but the important thing is that both jocks are okay AND riding again…

This same poster still cries and has nightmares over Barbaro. Not to sound unfeeling BUT his jockey was uninjured and isn’t that all that matters (according to her)?

Honestly, the whole Barbaro thing could earn someone a PhD in Sociology if he/she would take the time to write a thesis. :lol:

Equally baffling is the fact nobody on the racing forum expressed any concern or even questioned the charge that the "Barbaro Stakes" was "fixed". The thread degenerated into a slam of the "liberal press" (the root of all evil) by focusing on MM's rather embarrasing show of emotion after Chelokee's "win". Sure what the press did was sleazy but isn't race fixing even more sleazy? But no, lets sweep that under the rug, close ranks and point the finger elsewhere. :cool:

Jinx
May. 26, 2007, 09:48 AM
Ok ive got to say it. I dont get the freaking barbaro thread. Its not new or exclusive informatnion. Its all comming from the Tim Wolley board and his website. Why do we need EVERY freaking update from that site posted over here? Its compiled very nicely over there and all the crazy "i say goodmorning to barbaro" people are over there. Oh but of course it needs to be posted over here too.....lord only knows why....

Coup De Des
May. 26, 2007, 11:01 AM
I agree. It's a waste of space. If the 3 people that read that thread want the information they can bloody well go find it for themselves. You said yourself it's on some Tim Wolley board. Google is your friend people.

Rcloisonne.. Awesome post. Well put. Nice ownage in there too. Freebird, nice.. some underhanded ownage in there. Nicely done.. Irish.. Good good, I concurr wholeheartedly!

Matryoshka... I don't understand why FOB brought Draft horses over At Risk Thoroughbreds.. But hey.. whatever works, any horse life saved is OK in my book..

p.s. I notice Cubs has up and done a runner on this thread, prefering instead to skite about why owners should be having a go at doing their own chiropractic adjustments.

Kenike
May. 26, 2007, 03:24 PM
I do believe that VB only made a typo. She does, indeed, know how to spell laminitis.

Here's the celebrity death that everyone is stuck on that I don't get: Anna Nicole Smith. I mean, really? Do we need to have a movie made about her?? Seriously....who really cares??

And did anyone else notice the author of the article said people should go to the barn and take a "cantor" on their horse? Cantor? What's that? :lol:

Tory Relic
May. 26, 2007, 03:38 PM
Jiminy crickets, this is weird. I never have enough time to read everything I want to read on these forums, so I can't for the life of me understand *why* a thread I wouldn't care to read or think is wasting space would be such an irritant. It's up to the administrator as to what wastes space. THIS thread sure wouldn't be doing that, now, would it? Not when we all have so many opinions to express. You don't get it about Barbaro? Move on. You don't like racing? Move on -- there are other horse sports/forums/interests to explore. Why on earth do people have to pick, pick, pick at things that they dislike or disagree with when there are so many other things to do.

Or maybe not, which is why this thread is three pages long and the instigator is now nowhere to be seen. Bet they are having fun with let's watch these guys fight. :eek: :eek: :eek:

LyndaPellitteri31
May. 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
Equally baffling is the fact nobody on the racing forum expressed any concern or even questioned the charge that the "Barbaro Stakes" was "fixed". The thread degenerated into a slam of the "liberal press" (the root of all evil) by focusing on MM's rather embarrasing show of emotion after Chelokee's "win". Sure what the press did was sleazy but isn't race fixing even more sleazy? But no, lets sweep that under the rug, close ranks and point the finger elsewhere. :cool:

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a new one!!!! Yea it was fixed! the racing officials should have put a gun to trainer's heads to make them put their horses in it. Blasted evil Matz should have NEVER won that race with such a superior horse. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would LOVE to see even a shread of evidence for this conspiracy.

LyndaPellitteri31
May. 26, 2007, 04:44 PM
Hmm I just read the thread about Chelokee winning the Barbaro stakes, and I am assuming thats the thread you are talking about that "bashed the liberal press". No one said a thing about the press being liberal. I happen to agree that the press was milking Michael for more emotion and it was rather morbid of them to zoom in on his face in the hopes of seeing a tear roll down his cheek. Reminds me of when Go For Wand Broke down in the BC Distaff and the media zoomed in on her poor trainers eyeballs. Ick.

rcloisonne
May. 26, 2007, 04:56 PM
I would LOVE to see even a shread of evidence for this conspiracy.
Glad you find it amusing but you'll have to ask the racing forum’s very own Glimmerglass since it was he who posted the following innuendo:

As for the Barbaro Stakes if anyone thinks that Chelokee wasn't intentionally given a cake walk - and guaranteed win - based upon the entires they are kidding themselves. A defacto walk over staged for the media.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=73513&page=29

Sorta like entering Salinero and Anky in a training level dressage class. At least most dressage judges would come down hard on something like that. In racing, apparently just about everyone smiles and heaps kudos and attaboys on the practice. :rolleyes:

VirginiaBred
May. 26, 2007, 06:52 PM
Ok ive got to say it. I dont get the freaking barbaro thread. Its not new or exclusive informatnion. Its all comming from the Tim Wolley board and his website. Why do we need EVERY freaking update from that site posted over here? Its compiled very nicely over there and all the crazy "i say goodmorning to barbaro" people are over there. Oh but of course it needs to be posted over here too.....lord only knows why....

[quote: Coup De Des] It's a waste of space. If the 3 people that read that thread want the information they can bloody well go find it for themselves. You said yourself it's on some Tim Wolley board. Google is your friend people. [quote]

Give me a break.

I have always acknowledged that Tim Woolley is where I get quite a bit of my information. Not all of it, but some of it. With permission, I might add. So, what's the problem?

tradewind
May. 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
What I really dont get is why anyone cares if some people still care about Barbaro. What does it hurt them. They dont have to read threads regarding him or anything to do with him. If some people want to carry on his memory by doing good things for other horses such as rescuing slaughter bound horses or horses in bad situations as far as I am concerned (and being involved in rescue work on a day to day basis) its all for the better. The fact that not all these people are true horse people and some may be over the top is besides the point. Taking interest or grief and turning it into something positive is something that all of us could do better at, be it horses, the homeless or cancer research. Not to mention the huge amounts of money now being put to research for laminitis and more up to date vet equipment at hospitals is something that benefits all horse owners. The nastiness of this thread really bothers me. Civil discussion benefits all. By the way, for pete's sake do we REALLY have to jump all over people for typos. We have all made them. Finally to the OP thanks for starting a nasty trainwreck thread, something this discussion board could use alot less of.

LyndaPellitteri31
May. 26, 2007, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=rcloisonne;2460608]Glad you find it amusing but you'll have to ask the racing forum’s very own Glimmerglass since it was he who posted the following innuendo:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=73513&page=29

Thanks for the link, and I questioned her assertions, but I still want to see evidence for your conspiracy since that was your quote that I have above.

matryoshka
May. 26, 2007, 08:16 PM
Matryoshka... I don't understand why FOB brought Draft horses over At Risk Thoroughbreds.. But hey.. whatever works, any horse life saved is OK in my book..I don't know either, but it may have to do with there being a rescue (Equihab) who was willing to take them in. If they can't find a place to put the horses, it's hard to bail them out of a kill pen. We like drafts, so when asked, other rescues put them in touch with us. We are grateful for their help.

eggbutt
May. 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
P.S. - Eggbutt, I still have your nasty PMs in my inbox from the Barbaro fiasco. I deleted almost everything, but for some reason 3 of yours are still there, along with some from a few other people. For someone who wants people to just leave other people alone, you sure don't hesitate to dish out the threats and nasties on the private forum.

WHAT nasty emails??? You are so delusional! Back to the ignore list you go so I won't be provoked by your posts.

ASB Stars
May. 27, 2007, 03:29 PM
I continue the Barbaro thread on the racing forum due to the extremely high number of requests I receive to do so. I (obviously) now only post things related to Barbaro, such as the fund for Laminitius Research and how to hep raise money for that, updates from the Jackson's in regards to related Barbaro topics, etc.
The fact that any horse touched so many lives isn't news.
The fact that this one did, and from his death so many others may have a chance to be saved, is.

Why show so much bitterness about something that can do so much good in our equine world? So what if posters indicate they have a void because of him? Who cares if folks want to say a prayer or light a candle for him? He has singlehandedly opened the eyes of thousands who only came to know him through his horrific journey. Thank God they did, as it's because of those folks so many horses have been saved throught the rescues the have been developed, the money that has been raised and the education that has been shared.

I thank each and every one of those unknowns that say "Good Morning" and "Good Night" and "I Miss you Barbaro".

They, one day, could be saving a TB I bred and I once loved.

I still wear my Barbaro bracelet. I went to a hunter jumper show today, and the lady parked next to my trailer and I had a chat about...BARBARO. Guess what? She is a TB racehorse gal, and a good friend of hers was one of Barbaro's nurses. She had wonderful things to say about the horse and the love the horses connections and owners had for him.

I happen to loathe funerals. I think the idea of an open casket is morbid. I feel that cemetaries waste a lot of perfectly good pasture land.

However, I would never think to deny people their experience of grief, sharing, and rememberance. JUST like the lovely chat I had today, between two folks who share a love of their horses, and appreciation for all of those who love.

The articles are written by someone with an opinion- not a clue. There are alot of people out there like that.

I just don't let them waste more than a nanosecond of my time.

Moving on.... :winkgrin: