PDA

View Full Version : Derby Picks

holmes
May. 2, 2007, 08:13 PM
So without discussion on other peoples picks, I want to hear who is your Derby pick.

Mine is Hard Spun, I saw him in Keeneland in March and he looked fabulous (even though he tried to bite me)! He has had a good racing record, and it seems in his workouts he is just getting better.

My only concern is the fact that his last workout might have been too fast - however all indicators point to it took nothing out of him. My friend (who knows a little bit about racing) reckons he might get pushed to the front and tire.

I have to say that part of the reason I like him so much is Larry Jones is the nicest guy! I spent a good couple hours with him at Keeneland, and he is probably one of the most down to earth people I have met. Last night for instance at the dinner he said 'In Keeneland people said I was working him to slow, in CD they say I am working him too fast - I just hope that regardless of my bad training he wins' or his stance a jockeys 'the good ones know what they are doing, and the bad ones won't listen anyway'.

VirginiaBred
May. 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
And he is Red Hot right now.

Mine is Circular Quay.
I also like Nobiz Like Shobiz
Hard Spun wraps up my short list.

Melelio
May. 2, 2007, 09:00 PM
There are SO many nice horses this time, hard to be sure, butt:

I think it'll be

Curlin and Nobiz at the wire, and Tiago and maybe Hard Spun or Cowtown Cat coming up along.

I'm gunning for Sightseeing in the Preakness...

pattnic
May. 2, 2007, 09:24 PM
Any Given Saturday
Circular Quay
Curlin
Hard Spun

Glimmerglass
May. 2, 2007, 10:21 PM
If the winner of this year's Derby takes it by more then 1 length I'll be very surprised. This field looks rather evenly matched and while a few horses are a bit out of their league [e.g., Bwanna Bull, Storm in May] the balance have similar styles.

There is no standout closer - yes Tiago did it in the Santa Anita, but honestly when was the last SA Derby winner translating into the KY Derby winner? Still thinking of the answer? Tick, tock ... the answer would be 1989's Sunday Silence. The next one would 1988's filly Winning Colors

There also is no quasi-rabbit in the field and/or better suited sprinter.

The big names generally seem content to rate and I can't think of one which distinctly must be on the lead. Accordingly I suspect this race will be somewhat similar to the Blue Grass Stakes which looked a heck of a lot like a European turf race :)

My dark horse for taking the Derby: Teufelsberg. Although it will be a major step up by him to do so and will require a few factors to transpire. Sam P, not generally seen as a dark horse but overlooked could shock folks if just allowed to run his own style.

Otherwise I'm still behind Nobiz Like Shobiz to be there in the end.

No knocks on Street Sense, Hard Spun, or Scat Daddy. All three could take the win too.

RedMare01
May. 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
Street Sense or Tiago.

Caitlin

FatDinah
May. 3, 2007, 12:20 AM
I have no clue who will win, but for sentiment sake, I will root for Tiago.

Flypony
May. 3, 2007, 12:26 AM
I will be on Tuefelsbergs band wagon, how ever you spell his name. However Street Sense or Curlin are the logical choices,

skatepixie
May. 3, 2007, 01:13 AM
I'm feeling Scat Daddy and NoBiz

DLee
May. 3, 2007, 09:05 AM
I've been pulling for Curlin all along, I just wish he wasn't the favorite now. :( I'd love to see him blow the naysayers away!

Nikki^
May. 3, 2007, 09:17 AM
My picks will have to be

1. Curlin (Look at this photo. Who does he look like? :D )
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070430/ids_photos_sp/r3043182723.jpg
He's undefeated but he ran 3 races and they were not G1 rated. Does this matter? Will he be able to win the Derby?

2. Nobiz Like Shobiz: I just love how this colt looks. Won 4 out of his 6 races.

3. Street Sence: Won the Breeder's Jup Juvenile. Lovely looking horse.

Glimmerglass
May. 3, 2007, 09:21 AM
From this picture of Curlin in training he has plenty of spunk! High-ho Curlin pulling a Secretariat in the Preakness (http://www.brisnet.com/pictures/curlin4-30,2mjm.jpg)

Maythehorsebewithme
May. 3, 2007, 10:09 AM
Zanjero. Always close, maybe the bridesmaid will become the bride (or, since they are all males, maybe the best man will become the groom.)

Sancudo
May. 3, 2007, 10:55 AM
Curlin- been following him since he was sold after that maiden race. Kinda sad that he's the favorite, since I don't usually go for the favorites.

Circular Quay

Tueflesberg

InVA
May. 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
he looked fabulous (even though he tried to bite me)!.

I love this! naughty colt! I also like Hard Spun.. he was my fav back in January.. I also jumped on to the Nobiz like Shobiz train and remain there... BUT...then there is Curlin... These are my top three.
Hard Spun
Nobiz
Curlin..

but Scat Daddy is awful darn nice too....

InVA
May. 3, 2007, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Nikki^;2406315]My picks will have to be

hmm..Let 's see.. the phrase.."he's moving like a tremendous machine." comes to mind!

l

Zevida
May. 3, 2007, 11:05 AM
I will be on Tuefelsbergs band wagon, how ever you spell his name. However Street Sense or Curlin are the logical choices,

I know the person who just bought a 25% interest in Tuefelsberg, so I'll be cheering for him. None of the other Derby entries have really captured my imagination, so I figure route for the horse I "know".

DLee
May. 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
I know, I thought so too! I won't say the 'S' word, it'd probably jinx him, thank goodness he only has two socks!

tradewind
May. 3, 2007, 12:12 PM
Curlin, Nobiz are the two I am rooting for, but I think it is hard to pick this year.

KAL74
May. 3, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm going with Hard Spun, but I like Stormello as the long shot.

WhiteCamry
May. 3, 2007, 01:25 PM
My picks will have to be

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070430/ids_photos_sp/r3043182723.jpg

A little bit, yes. He's even outbred 5 generations, just like Big Red II. OTOH, he's not descended from him; in fact, the nearest connection is Nasrullah.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/curlin

2. Nobiz Like Shobiz: I just love how this colt looks. Won 4 out of his 6 races.

I saw him in the Wood. I like him with blinkers but his 1:49.46 for 9f doesn't leap out more than any other entrant.

3. Street Sence: Won the Breeder's Jup Juvenile. Lovely looking horse.

A good reason to give him a pass. No BCJ winner has won the KD. The only one to get on the board was Chief's Crown showing in '85.

Lori T
May. 3, 2007, 01:25 PM
Street Sense...Calvin is my neighbor's son-in-law!!

TKR
May. 3, 2007, 02:23 PM
I picked Circular Quay awhile back, so I guess I'll stick with him. I need to get a USA Today and try to handicap, LOL.
PennyG

findeight
May. 3, 2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe it's time that jinx dies as SS did win at Churchill and obviously likes the track and is not bothered by it's claustrophobic aspect. Or maybe it's not time. Who knows? Somebody will do it eventually.

I liked Curlin but not enchanted with his #2 slot. With no speed he could get buried.

Not sure how the Keeneland polyturf performances will translate to a dirt track that might be a bit wet if the forecast holds.

Anyway...don't have any single picks this year. Likely bet a couple of $2 exacta boxes coupling one with short odds with a longshot.

Couple of well bred underachievers in there that might figure out what they are supposed to do to make handicapping more challenging.

should be fun.

avery
May. 3, 2007, 03:05 PM
Curlin!

chawley
May. 3, 2007, 03:33 PM
This is a really difficult year to handicap - so many of them are very consistent. I'm not set on this yet, but here's how I'm leaning:

Street Sense
Hard Spun
Nobiz

With Zanjaro and Great Hunter as my longshots.

I think Curlin is very special and if he wins, he's definitely racing's next superstar. With his limited experience, it's just easier for me to bet against him right now.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Scatdaddy win. He's done nothing wrong.

Mao
May. 3, 2007, 04:17 PM
Well my picks are, as usual, very scientific and thoughtful - not! LOL!

First pick is Curlin - because I'm a closet optimist!!! What if? Oh my!

And, because I'm originally from Pennsylvania and only recently moved to Paris, Kentucky - my other choice is nod to my old home state - Hard Spun. Go Pennsylvania-breds! He would have been my first choice until Curlin blasted onto the scene.

Yep, I'm definitely getting Derby Fever!

I'm EBO
May. 3, 2007, 04:29 PM
Who is Prado riding? IS he riding?

Never mind--found that it's Scat Daddy for those of you who were in the dark with me.

caffeinated
I thought that by actually following the action and the prep races this year, I'd have a better handle on it than I have in the past (though I did have Barbaro last year, and did pretty well for the preakness the year before).

Unfortunately, watching all these races has just left me confused.

So I think I'll go with Great Hunter, for the very scientific reason that I think he is cute. And Curlin, for the very scientific reason that I think he's cool.

:D

Kim
I like Scat Daddy, Street Sense, and Nobiz.

VirginiaBred
May. 3, 2007, 04:44 PM
So far I'm out on a limb by myself with Circular Quay?

Where's y'alls sense of adventure? :)

Mao
May. 3, 2007, 06:16 PM
So far I'm out on a limb by myself with Circular Quay?

Where's y'alls sense of adventure? :)

Isn't Curlin sort of going out on a limb? LOL!!!

Despite his current odds - he seems to be a long-shot. Right?

VirginiaBred
May. 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
Apparently. And on an eight (8) week lay off..........:)

Tap2Tango
May. 3, 2007, 06:40 PM
I'm going for Storm in May. I broke/trained/showed a baby who was almost the same color and was blind in the right eye. She was the coolest mare and had a huge heart. It would be great for a horse to overcome an obstacle like this one and win the Derby.

Mao
May. 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm going for Storm in May. I broke/trained/showed a baby who was almost the same color and was blind in the right eye. She was the coolest mare and had a huge heart. It would be great for a horse to overcome an obstacle like this one and win the Derby.

Storm in May would be an awesome upset horse! Absolutely!

TKR
May. 3, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hey VB -- I'm with you on Circular Quay -- wonder what the odds are -- it would be fun to be able to bet, LOL!
PennyG

Carol Ames
May. 3, 2007, 07:39 PM
Who are the two horses from Cenntenial in Middleburg? I used to live down the road from them; not a very sciemntific reason :lol: I know, but, who knows?:confused:

Jinx
May. 3, 2007, 07:40 PM
Scat Daddy!

Same birthday, hes in the 14 hole which always was my number in sports...yeah think its gotta be him....

but there are so many great horses this year that it of course will be out of the blue:lol:

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
I do NOT know squat about racing, however, every year I go through the history of the contenders and read up on them and pick my faves.

This year I like Nobiz, alot! I also like (now this is just reading their race history and running styles) Curlin, Street Sense and I am liking Scat Daddy for sentimental reasons. My favorite long shot is Stormello but I would be so thrilled to see Storm in May do something spectacular. Sam P has blipped my radar also, though, I am not sure why.

If I were to put money down right now, it would be Nobiz Like Shobiz and my long shot would be Stormello, but I hate narrowing down my choices until I see the pre-race chatter and see the horses the day of the race, how they feel and how they are moving.

InVA
May. 4, 2007, 01:23 PM
Who is Prado riding? IS he riding?

Never mind--found that it's Scat Daddy for those of you who were in the dark with me.

He is riding Scat Daddy..

InVA
May. 4, 2007, 01:24 PM
DUH didn't see your whole post. didn't mean to be redundant!

archieflies
May. 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
OK, I'll be so bold as to post my complete order of finish. I forgot to enter any of the handicapping contests this year, so I guess I have to get this on the record somewhere! Last year I had an extremely scientific system and guess what- my top three ended up in the *bottom five*!! :) (That's after picking the winner- based on gut feelings- probably 8 out of the last twelve years!) So this year I dropped the science and went with a much less (more?) complicated, but not-quite-random draw... because isn't that what the Derby ends up being anyway???

Here goes...

Scat Daddy
Curlin
Street Sense
Hard Spun
Cowtown Cat
Teuflesberg
Nobiz Like Shobiz
Sedgefield
Great Hunter
Circular Quay
Sam P.
Tiago
Zanjero
Any Given Saturday
Liquidity
Storm In May
Bwana Bull
Stormello
Dominican
Imawildandcrazyguy (Uh, give me one good reason this horse deserves to even be in the Derby??)

Despite the somewhat randomness, I like how that list turned out and I would probably even bet on it.

BUT... the horses I *like* and *wish* would win are Teuflesberg, Cowtown Cat and Circular Quay. T is the most *gorgeous* animal I have ever seen, and I wish they would give him to me so he could sit outside my window and I could stare at him all day every day! Plus, in a mad house like the Derby, a lot of experience like he has might come in handy. And did anyone see the clip Wednesday during the draw of Circular Quay trotting? :eek: I love him purely because of his lovely trot! So rhythmic and balanced- totally unlike the erratic, nervous trot one would expect from a horse on the way to the post. Of course, that has no bearing on his running tomorrow!!!!

Doodle
May. 4, 2007, 03:08 PM
Tuefelsburg IS gorgeous! that giant white SNIP is adorable... :eek:

ShowMeTheGlory
May. 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
I would love to see Street Sense win just because of the BC curse, but I am rooting for Great Hunter. He was consigned by the farm I used to work at, Walnut Green.

Kenike
May. 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
I like Curlin, Nobiz, and Circular Quay (in no particular order). It's an interesting field! Should be pretty exciting....I hope :lol:

k8tee
May. 5, 2007, 02:24 AM
I'm going with:

Hard Spun
Circular Quay
Street Sense

I advised my gambling co-worker that if he wants to bet on a long-shot, he should go with Teuflesberg.

kcgold
May. 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
have always like Hard Spun, so I'm stickin' with him...plus, he'll be wearing #8 :) ....

Curlin, just have good feelings about him...

And Teuflesberg as a sentimental pick....

Smiles
May. 5, 2007, 08:22 AM
Curlin can be a fast closure. At gulfsport he linger behind the pack and than just took over the field... But honestly this is going to be anyones race because the field is big and the track is reported to be sloppy. I think a pace setter may win this thing... I would also like to see storm in may win it though...

Zevida
May. 5, 2007, 09:45 AM
After glancing through the PPs, I'm going with:

Liquidity
Hard Spun
Tueflesburg

In no particular order. I'm rooting for Liquidity because he's a son of Tiznow.

Texarkana
May. 5, 2007, 11:35 AM
I actually had a DREAM last night about the top 4 order of finish in the derby. I rarely remember my dreams, and in all my years working in horse racing, I've never dreamed about a particular race. I barely remember the dream, but this is what I think I remember:

Curlin won by a slight margin.
Street Sense was 2nd.
Great Hunter and Circular Quay were 3rd and 4th, but I can't remember the order.

I'm debating trying to find out where the closest off-track betting place is to the Tennessee border! Haha.

Personally, of course I'm rooting for Hard Spun. ;)

fourhorses
May. 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
Curlin is gorgeous, and I'm liking Scat Daddy and Teufelsberg for some reason, but this field is wide open.

My family's dark horse longshot pick and the one we're all pulling for, Sam P.
He looks through the face like my daughter's little appendix QH hunter (who was a suprisingly well bred and good looking young horse, but had been completely passed over, hmm, maybe a parallel?) that we picked up going to a meat auction and had been rather beat on by the time we got him -- his name is Samuel D. Colt by the way.
Our Sam D. is a dark horse who suprised, really hoping this Sam P. is too.:yes:

CaSaNoVa14
May. 5, 2007, 12:17 PM
I like Nobiz like Shobiz............
I have to root for Teuflesberg..because our friend is riding him...Go Stewie:)

justalittlex
May. 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
I'm going for:

Great Hunter
Street Sense
Curlin

in that order.

My daughter likes Storm in May because of the mud factor.

Is there anywhere to bet online, or aren't I allowed to ask that?

SuperSTB
May. 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
I'm picking:
Curlin
Nobiz
Circular

Laurierace
May. 5, 2007, 12:44 PM
Not exactly in line with the topic, but what I really want is a triple crown. To that extent I don't really care who wins as long as it is someone with a decent shot to win the other two if all goes well.
Giacomo was the first derby winner I have ever rooted against in the Preakness in my whole life. God forbid, if Alex had gone down and Scrappy then DQ'ed so Giacomo was going into the Belmont trying for a triple crown, I think I would have started a riot! Please someone good win today!

sparkliest
May. 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
based just on pretty, I'm in love with Nobiz, but I like Any Given Saturday too.
I kinda think Hard Spun will win though.

SuperSTB
May. 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
Not exactly in line with the topic, but what I really want is a triple crown. To that extent I don't really care who wins as long as it is someone with a decent shot to win the other two if all goes well.
Giacomo was the first derby winner I have ever rooted against in the Preakness in my whole life. God forbid, if Alex had gone down and Scrappy then DQ'ed so Giacomo was going into the Belmont trying for a triple crown, I think I would have started a riot! Please someone good win today!

I agree- I think the sport definetly NEEDS a triple crown winner...

AffirmedHope
May. 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hard Spun!!!!

Kenike
May. 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Laurierace, I definitely agree!!

I'm sticking with
Curlin
Circular Quay
Nobiz Like Showbiz

But I'm adding Teuflesberg.....just have a good feeling about him

Again, no particular order

archieflies
May. 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
But I'm adding Teuflesberg.....just have a good feeling about him

I also have a feeling his odds are gonna jump before the race runs... that horse has no business being 48-1!!!!!!! People are gonna start getting tempted by that price and bet him back up to where he belongs. Oh, to be at a track today so I could get him at that price! I'd put a good bit on a show bet on T if I could! But surely the odds won't stay there. People are way too tempted by the long prices, isn't that how Imawildandcrazyguy got up to 18-1???

pegasusmom
May. 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'm going for family connections this year - Hard Spun (Danzig) and Circular Quay (dam by Belong to Me - a Danzig son) We had an eventer here for awhile by Belong to Me. Good race horse with a stakes win. Hated dressage. Very good XC.

Silly reasons to pick a Derby winner. . . when I was a kid I always bet on grey horses. . .

holmes
May. 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
I have to say I will be as equally happy if ScatDaddy won - I just got a text message from EP. :)

VirginiaBred
May. 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
Pegasusmom, you have two of my three picks. Circular Quay is my #1.

Honestly, the best mudder should be everyone's pick!

horsecents
May. 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
I like Curlin and Circular Quay. My husband likes Hard Spun because his bloodlines are similar to my older horse (JC: Proportional).

Iride
May. 5, 2007, 02:45 PM
I'm sticking with NoBiz Like ShowBiz. He's the only one I've "met" - and he just had that look in his eye.... if you know what I mean.

Kenike
May. 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
I also have a feeling his odds are gonna jump before the race runs... that horse has no business being 48-1!!!!!!! People are gonna start getting tempted by that price and bet him back up to where he belongs. Oh, to be at a track today so I could get him at that price! I'd put a good bit on a show bet on T if I could! But surely the odds won't stay there. People are way too tempted by the long prices, isn't that how Imawildandcrazyguy got up to 18-1???

Agreed! I'd bet if I were near a track! (no OTB for me)

I made my son a promise today. I'm going to take him to each of the TC races and on a tour of the farms in Louiseville and Lexington when he's old enough (so in another 6-8 years). It's something I've always wanted to do, but now I have someone to share the memories with! (Hubby's not as interested...but he could be)

Okay, back to cleaning the house :lol:

hundredacres
May. 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
I'm rooting for Hard Spun...mostly because his jockey rode my gelding (Gorham Hall) at Pimlico in 5 races :) and Larry Jones claimed my gelding in 2002 (and retired him without racing him again)....not very technical reasoning, but gives me a reason to get excited about the race this year!

Iride
May. 5, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm getting irritated at the media's insistance on showing Barbaro's breakdown at every opportunity. If they want to show something worthwhile, show him at his best. Not only that, but there are hundreds of thrilling and worthy stories among the hundreds of other horses who are current and trying their hearts out. They should be the focus - not Barbaro's breakdown :cry:

DLee
May. 5, 2007, 05:32 PM
I am losing satellite signal because of the rain..... waaaaahhh....:mad: :mad:

~Freedom~
May. 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
Well Street Sense did it!

Sancudo
May. 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
Good race for Street Sense!! I'm well proud of Curlin for 3rd- looked like he had to weave in and out a lot.

FatDinah
May. 5, 2007, 06:28 PM
A great race!
Congrats to Street Sense, Carl and Calvin!

Iride
May. 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Inspiring race... but a whole lotta hitting goin on at the home stretch.

DLee
May. 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
Wow! I have to say Curlin did great with a really rough go, wish he had had that inside line! Too many horses!

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
How did he make it through on the rail in a field of 20 horses? Ballsy riding.

La Gringa
May. 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
I loved it! Great riding by the jockey. I was so happy for him, being his 1st derby win in something like 4000? races... I was amazed at that.. is that correct. He must be on Cloud 9.

Awesome.

Laurierace
May. 5, 2007, 06:52 PM
I am the worlds worst handicapper as are most trainers but my $1 trifecta that I nailed will pay for half of the patch for Sky's foot so I guess I am not too bad today!

FatDinah
May. 5, 2007, 06:59 PM
Pletcher really came up empty. Was Circular Quay his top finisher?

Jinx
May. 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah I think Circular Quay was his best finish...looked like scat daddy was the one that got squeezed really badly and gave up...but couldnt tell from the angle.....

archieflies
May. 5, 2007, 07:35 PM
Hmmm... looks like I need a new technique. Last year my top three ended up in the bottom five. This year was a *bit* better. The horses I had in 2-3-4 came in 3-1-2. Not bad, except that the horses I had in 1-5-6 ended up 18-19-20 and the horse I had in 20 ran 4th. I hit 13 and 17 right on, for what that's worth! So next year, I guess I'll come up with my order of finish and then take my top few horses and shuffle them around with the bottom few. That should pretty much do the job, right? Crap, I'm bad at this. Good thing I managed to keep my money in my pocket!

On a high note, maybe they'll retire good old Teuflesberg and let me have him so I can stare at him all day? He is a hero though- if he hadn't dropped back like a dead man at the exact moment he did, Street Sense wouldn't have had the gap on the rail to move up. That's worth soemthing, right????

FatDinah
May. 5, 2007, 07:38 PM
I think the biggest surprises were Imawildand crazyguy and Sedgefield running 4th and 5th.

I was amazed and amused at how calm Street Sense was with Borel bouncing and jumping around on him, what a cool horse. it reminded me a lot of when Pat Day finally won a Derby on Lil E. Tee, Day practically launched off the saddle!

AffirmedHope
May. 5, 2007, 08:22 PM
Congrats to Street Sense!!!

If Hard Spun runs like that in the Preakness he could be hard to catch. Helluva a race fromboth of them.

2ndyrgal
May. 5, 2007, 09:03 PM
Street Sense got the perfect trip, had a good turn of foot and some racing luck. Hard Spun is one tough SOB. Can't wait to see the Preakness. But it is a sort of best of a bad lot kind of year. No horse truly outstanding. But you gotta love that little cajun jock and his enthusiasm. And how about Steet Sense jogging along after the race like a schoolie on a loose rein without even an ear flick. Just an "I done good Dad" look to him. With 150K people screaming, he looked as composed as Her Majesty. I thought it would have been cool to have the Queen do the presentation, then it occurred to me, that if one won the Derby, Ronald McDonald could present the trophy and no one would care.

Lori T
May. 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah for Street Sense!! I am sure my neighbors are living it up tonight...I wonder if they get to meet the Queen???

Mao
May. 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
Okay - someone talk to me about Curlin. He was my pick - along with Hard Spun and Storm in May (longshot hopeful),

I honestly never saw Curlin as factor in the race and was really surprised to see he came in third.

All things considered, isn't his 3rd place finish sort of impressive? Considering he was nowhere in the beginning of the race. Is he, could he, still be considered some sort of phenomon considering his lack of seasoning?

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 5, 2007, 11:50 PM

If Street Sense wins the Preakness, then I think we have a TC winner. He could win the Belmont on pedigree alone.

Kenike
May. 5, 2007, 11:52 PM
I think the biggest surprises were Imawildand crazyguy and Sedgefield running 4th and 5th.

I was amazed and amused at how calm Street Sense was with Borel bouncing and jumping around on him, what a cool horse. it reminded me a lot of when Pat Day finally won a Derby on Lil E. Tee, Day practically launched off the saddle!

Oh my gosh, yes! I was crying tears of joy with Borel (despite Street Sense not being a pick of mine), but giggling at Street Sense looking like a seasoned veteran who'd done this a million times before, not a feisty 3 yr old! Must admit, he stole my heart with his composure :yes:

After watching the post parade, I knew little Tueflesburg wasn't going to be up there, but I still like him. And Curlin? Yup, he impressed me.

What happened to Nobiz???

FatDinah
May. 5, 2007, 11:59 PM
Here's a quote from Barclay Tagg

NOBIZ LIKE SHOBIZ (10th): "He didn't handle the track. I thought he'd run better than that." -- trainer Barclay Tagg.

SuperSTB
May. 6, 2007, 12:27 AM
I'm actually a little impressed with Curlin- he was one of my picks. I think if he was a little more seasoned he would have ran a better race. 20 is a huge field and probably threw him off a bit.

Very disappointed in Nobiz.

Impressed big time with Hard Spun though!

Texarkana
May. 6, 2007, 01:47 AM
If Street Sense wins the Preakness, then I think we have a TC winner. He could win the Belmont on pedigree alone.

Let's hope he's read his page and agrees!

Well I guess I'm no prophet. Oh well, it was a good race. I still don't know how Street Sense got such a smooth trip on the rail in that cavalry charge! Talk about luck...

Kenike
May. 6, 2007, 02:08 PM
thank you, FatDinah, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I was greatly impressed with Street Sense, and the fact he got that clear shot up the rail was incredible! But I still believe Curlin will be a force to be reckoned with in 2 weeks (I'm assuming he'll be at Pimlico).

A great race, indeed!

FatDinah
May. 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
Here's quotes from all the jockeys or trainers from Associated Press (I like Storm in May the best):

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Quotes from trainers and jockeys in Saturday's Kentucky Derby:
STREET SENSE (1st): "I really and truly don't know how good he is. Ever since he was a 2-year-old, he's gone forward. He's never gone backwards." -- jockey Calvin Borel.
HARD SPUN (2nd): "We thought we could maybe steal it going for home. We beat some awfully good horses. We just needed one more." _ trainer Larry Jones.
CURLIN (3rd): "It looked like he was in a great spot, moved up nicely, incurred some trouble on the far turn, then never picked it back up." -- trainer Steve Asmussen.
IMAWILDANDCRAZYGUY (4th): "He'll be going to the Belmont (Stakes) and a little more distance. He really shows he wants the mile and a half." -- trainer Bill Kaplan.
SEDGEFIELD (5th): "He was in great position. He came up second and was holding third for the longest time. He ran a really good race. I wouldn't be surprised if is better on dirt than on turf." _ trainer Darrin Miller.
CIRCULAR QUAY (6th): "He had a little trouble getting hold of the track at first. I got him happy in a good position into the first turn, but after that he didn't run the way he's capable of running." -- jockey John Velazquez.
TIAGO (7th): "He ran dynamite. "If he had more experience ... I don't know if we would have beaten the winner, but look at the gallop out. Ten jumps past the wire he was in front and he couldn't do that in the race. It was just a matter of experience. We had to wait a little bit, but that's to be expected in a big field." _ jockey Mike Smith.
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY: (8th): "It was working out really good until the half-mile. About the three-eighths pole, half-mile pole, I had to kind of edge my way out. I got jostled a little. It wasn't too bad. I got up on my feet and he started making a little run, and then Street Sense came blowing through there and it was like a big old wave. -- jockey Garrett Gomez.
SAM P: (9th): "It was an excellent trip, beautiful. I saved ground on the first turn and had to go wide on the second turn for my run, but there's no excuses here." -- jockey Ramon Dominguez.
NOBIZ LIKE SHOBIZ (10th): "He didn't handle the track. I thought he'd run better than that." -- trainer Barclay Tagg.
DOMINICAN (11th): "We had a perfect trip. But when I said let's go, I had no more horse left. That was it." -- jockey Rafael Bejarano.
ZANJERO: (12th): "The first time under the wire, my horse was nice and relaxed. We had some traffic around the far turn, but he just didn't run his race today." -- jockey Shaun Bridgmohan.
GREAT HUNTER (13th): "My horse wasn't handling the track at all. The winner handled the track and the rest of them were struggling. That was about the story." -- jockey Corey Nakatani.
LIQUIDITY: (14th): "I had a good trip. It was a little bit tight, but that's the Derby. I just didn't have enough horse, but I had a good trip." -- jockey David Flores.
BWANA BULL: (15th): "We just didn't get the job done. No excuses from us. He appears to have come back fine; he came back sound. We'll go back to California with him." -- trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.
STORM IN MAY (16th): "We had a great trip and he was running at the end, but the others were just going faster." -- jockey Juan Leyva.
TEUFLESBERG (17th): -- "I'm sure Street Sense was the best horse today, but there's a lot of horses that come back to win the Preakness." -- trainer Jamie Sanders.
SCAT DADDY (18th): "Everybody was going by me looking for a place to run. When I really asked him to go, he just stayed there." -- jockey Edgar Prado.
STORMELLO (19th): "We got bumped around the three-eighths pole, but by that time he had thrown in the towel." -- jockey Kent Desormeaux.
COWTOWN CAT (20th): "No excuse. He just didn't fire today." _ jockey Fernando Jara.

WhiteCamry
May. 7, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well Street Sense did it!

Well, so much for the Juvie Jinx!
:eek:

WhiteCamry
May. 7, 2007, 12:44 PM

Agreed. The 07KD was won with darn good jockeying by Borel, but I still want to see how the Preakness goes before I make any 3C predictions.

InVA
May. 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
Okay - someone talk to me about Curlin. He was my pick - along with Hard Spun and Storm in May (longshot hopeful),

I honestly never saw Curlin as factor in the race and was really surprised to see he came in third.

All things considered, isn't his 3rd place finish sort of impressive? Considering he was nowhere in the beginning of the race. Is he, could he, still be considered some sort of phenomon considering his lack of seasoning?

YES I think with all the talk before the race of how the size of the field, the crowd, the hoopla would affect this inexperienced horse... I think its DAMN impressive that he got up there for third... good boy!