PDA

View Full Version : How is Ralph Hill?

Doodle
Apr. 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know how Ralph is doing?

lstevenson
Apr. 4, 2007, 12:56 PM
Go to www.carepages.com (http://www.carepages.com) and type in ralphhill with no spaces.

Doodle
Apr. 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
THANKS!

knightrider
Apr. 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
can you get in without joining the carepages? or can you cut and paste portions of the carepages here?

Dressage62
Apr. 5, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hello All,
Ralph continues to make progress today in his recovery. Still slow but he is responding a little more every day. We finally have the information for his fund. Ralph is looking at a long recovery time so any financial aid will be very appreciated.
Below is the information on the account set up at the
Equestrian Aid Foundation. There are no administration costs and all money that is
earmarked with his name will be set aside for his expenses. Contributions are tax deductible. The information below will also be posted at The Fork Horse Trials this weekend.

Ralph Hill Recovery Fund.

Tax deductible contributions to Ralph can be made to the Equestrian Aid Foundation
to assist with medical and rehabilitation expenses. Send checks to:

Janise Gray
Equestrian Aid Foundation
228 Phillips Terrace
Union, NJ 07083

* Please write "Ralph Hill" in the memo section of the check to ensure
your donation directly helps Ralph.

More information is available on the Web site
www.equestrianaidfoundation.org.
I will have some limited email access this weekend so do not worry if updates are a little behind schedule. I WILL keep everyone informed as fast as I can. Emails and posts here will be read to him so keep them coming.
Ruthie

Dressage62
Apr. 5, 2007, 12:00 PM
Please note the above is copied and pasted from www.CarePages.com
It is free to register to check on updated postings.

Dressage62
Apr. 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
On the first page of http://www.columbusregional.com/ you can send a patient an e-mail card. Way cool!

Dressage62
Apr. 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
please light a candle on
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=evntr

merrygoround
Apr. 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the postings.

cyberbay
Apr. 6, 2007, 11:02 AM
Is anyone able to shed light on Ralph's injuries? I think many of us are thinking he had only a badly broken leg, but the 'carepages' information implies that the injuries are more than that and are very serious??

Where'sMyWhite
Apr. 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
Please note the above is copied and pasted from www.CarePages.com (http://www.CarePages.com)
It is free to register to check on updated postings.

They might be free but I try to limit the number of places I put my email address to try to limit the amount of already excessive spam I get...

Thanks for the update here!

Lisa Cook
Apr. 6, 2007, 02:47 PM
From the USEA Web Site:

The USEA is delighted to report that we have this evening received the good news that following his removal from all sedatives some days ago, Ralph Hill has now recovered consciousness and has been able to converse with hospital staff, family and friends. Doctors are predicting a full recovery but have warned Ralph that it will take some time for him to get back in the saddle. Medication is once again being administered to control pain. Ralph will be flown to the Drake Center (address below) in Cincinnati this weekend to begin his rehabilitation. The USEA sends best wishes to Ralph and his family, sister Linda and niece Michelle, who have been at Ralph's side since he was injured when he fell on the advanced course at Poplar Place Horse Trials in Hamilton, Georgia on Saturday, March 24. The entire eventing community eagerly awaits his return to complete health.
Please send your good wishes to Ralph next week care of:
Drake Center
151 W. Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45216

FoxChaser
Apr. 6, 2007, 04:12 PM
WMW, I've registered w/Carepages and have never, ever gotten spam from them. Have no fear, they are most reputable!

adamsmom
Apr. 6, 2007, 07:47 PM
Excellent news that he's fully conscious!

We had initially heard that he was going to go to Cardinal Hill in Lexington, since Michelle lives there, but at least he'll be close.

I have no doubt he'll be out of the rehab center sooner rather than later, if he attacks his rehab like he attacks cross-country!

maxxtrot
Apr. 6, 2007, 07:56 PM
i am sitting here with tears of joy running down my face knowing ralph is awake and talking to friends and staff. has been a busy week for me and he has been at the front of my thoughts everyday! we all miss him so much down here in florida. i am hopeful that once he is recovered he will come back to us here.we oh so need him:) thank you so much for the information!

merrygoround
Apr. 6, 2007, 10:30 PM
Thank you so much --that is more and better news than we have found on the Carepages. Again--THANKS :) :) :)

austin
Apr. 6, 2007, 10:31 PM
Woo Hoo !!!

Lori T
Apr. 7, 2007, 07:51 AM
What great news!
I spoke with my friend the other day. Her daughter rides with Ralph. They took their horses up to Rocking Horse to school and she said that with Ralph, the horses and the dogs gone, it just wasn't the same. I hope he is able to make a fast recovery!

Dressage62
Apr. 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
April 08, 2007 at 09:52 PM EDT
"Hello all,
I apologize for the lack of updates for the past few days but I was stuck without any internet access. Ralph had a good weekend and is still slowly progressing. He spends more time awake everyday and is showing more movement with his arms and legs. Although he is not yet able to verbally communicate he is making gestures in response to some questions. Ralph is scheduled to be moved to Drake in Ohio on Tuesday for more long term rehab.
Ralph's family, Linda and Michelle, have asked everyone to please continue to check this carepage for accurate updates and information. Any significant change in his condition will be posted here immediately.
All posts to Ralph's carpage are being printed off daily and brought to his room to be read to him so please continue to send him your good wishes and funny stories.
Ruthie"

FlightCheck
Apr. 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
The newest update on the Carepages is correct.

Over the weekend, it was erroneously (sp?) reported that Ralph was fully conscious and laughing/etc. with friends and staff.

That info was a bit premature; Ruthie has correctly updated the CarePage.

maxxtrot
Apr. 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
yea, i got an email that evening that, that was a amazing recovery, but was not fully correct. but we all know how amazing the ralph man is, so don't fret, he will be back to us very soon. i personally cannot wait to see him again:)

Skursar
Apr. 12, 2007, 09:27 PM
On behalf of the family, PLEASE do not call the hospital. Ralph's condition is still very serious. His doctors have requested that he not have visitors or take calls at this time. Information on his condition will not be provided by hospital staff.

Your consideration of the above is extremely important to enable the medical staff to heal those in need.

The outpouring of support and concern is greatly appreciated! Please continue to use the care pages to get the latest information. Well wishes can be posted there and will be read to him in a timely manner. It is not anticipated that guests will be allowed to visit soon, however, as soon as this changes it will be posted on the care pages.

Dressage62
Apr. 13, 2007, 03:35 PM
"Ralph is doing well at Drake. They have been doing alot of tests the past few days to determine his therapy strategy. He continues to show some improvement every day but the progression is still slow.
Apparently due to Ralph's huge nationwide popularity The Drake Center has been inundated with phone calls and inquiries about visiting Ralph. They have asked us to please post that at this point Ralph cannot receive phone calls or visitors. As soon as he can we will post it here but in the meantime please be patient as he needs some time for healing before he will be able to visit with friends and fans.
We have several fund raisers in the works. As soon as I have details I will post the info here.
He will still get posts read to him from his carepage so feel free to continue to communicate your good wishes to Ralph here. "
Thanks again,
Ruthie
(Copied & Pasted from www.Carepages.com)

SandyUHC
Apr. 13, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks to those who copied over the updates, I have been wondering how he's doing ever since the accident. (Sign me another who isn't interested in registering here there and everywhere for stuff.)

Lisamarie8
Apr. 13, 2007, 10:22 PM
Ruthie, thank you so much for keeping the CarePage updated. While I hated to read the latest update, I appreciated having the information.

For those of you that don't subscribe to the page:

April 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM EDT
Update on Ralph's condition from The Drake Center and Ralph's family.
Ralph has sustained a very serious head injury. The head injury is much worse than was originally diagnosed at the ICU. At the moment Ralph is awake but there is little cognitive response and the long term prognosis is unknown. He does continue to show improvements in some responses so there is still hope and possibility for continued progression. Ralph has undergone quite a bit of testing at Drake and this is the current status. His family wanted this posted so his friends and fans would have the most current information possible and would understand the severity of the situation at the moment.

I am going to post again the information for donations. Ralph is looking at a much longer recovery time than was initially anticipated and could use both financial and moral support through doations, well wishes and posts of encouragement.
Ruthie

April 13, 2007 at 10:10 PM EDT
Ralph Hill Recovery Fund.

Tax deductible contributions to Ralph can be made to the Equestrian Aid Foundation
to assist with medical and rehabilitation expenses. Send checks to:

Janise Gray
Equestrian Aid Foundation
228 Phillips Terrace
Union, NJ 07083

* Please write "Ralph Hill" in the memo section of the check to ensure
your donation directly helps Ralph.
Please see next post for the current update on Ralph's condition

jmjhp
Apr. 13, 2007, 10:25 PM
So sad, I will pray for him...

Lori T
Apr. 14, 2007, 06:48 AM
I just checked the carepages and my heart sunk when I read the news. I am sure he will pull thru this though....sending lots of jingles.

Debbie
Apr. 14, 2007, 06:56 AM
My heart just broke a little... all the comments on the carepage really made me want to ride with Ralph and get to know him. He's clearly beloved, inspiring and a true character. We NEED him in our sport. Praying and jingling for him and his family...

shea'smom
Apr. 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
Geez. I have never met Ralph, but have seen him at events, especially Rolex. I have seen so many of the Rolex videos, and you know every time they show him you are about to be entertained!
I have been following his progress and I hate hearing this. I will be praying for him and I am going to start thinking about how I can help.
When Katrina hit, my barn hosted a show and silent auction and raised over $1000. I think we can "put on a show" for Ralph.

lstevenson
Apr. 14, 2007, 08:02 AM
He's clearly beloved, inspiring and a true character. We NEED him in our sport.

This is true times 100. Ralph is one of a kind. :( But if anyone can get through this it's Ralph. He is the most postitive and determined person I know.

Reynard Ridge
Apr. 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
Jingles and prayers and good thoughts for Ralph.

deltawave
Apr. 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
Major prayers for Ralph.

If anyone from the "north" is driving through Cincinnati in 2 weeks on their way to Rolex, beam some major good wishes to Ralph at the Drake facility as you drive by! :yes: Rolex will not be the same until he's back there, however and in whatever capacity. If Rolex is an icon of American eventing, then so is Ralph. :yes:

flutie1
Apr. 14, 2007, 08:51 AM
" ... If Rolex is an icon of American eventing, then so is Ralph."

That sums it up perfectly, Lynn. Thanks.
Lots of prayers needed.

CookiePony
Apr. 14, 2007, 09:01 AM
Oh, that is so upsetting to hear.

We will keep the jingles and prayers coming from TN.

Noctis
Apr. 14, 2007, 09:19 AM
sending HUGE jingles hugs and prayers from TN

maxxtrot
Apr. 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
my heart also broke when i got the email about this. i was really hoping he would not have to go down this road. but as long as he is still with us i for one do not care what version we get as long as we get ralph back. i am sure like others have said that if anyone can pull through this, it will be ralph. he has so much desire to be involved in this sport. my prayers and jingles are with ralph and his family, stacey

flypony74
Apr. 14, 2007, 03:56 PM
Continuing to send thoughts and prayers of healing to Ralph. I have never met him in person (seen him ride a gazillion times), but he sounds like he is an incredible ambassador to our sport, and also one heck of a great guy.

Keep kicking on, Ralph!

RunForIt
Apr. 14, 2007, 04:22 PM
my heart also broke when i got the email about this. i was really hoping he would not have to go down this road. but as long as he is still with us i for one do not care what version we get as long as we get ralph back. i am sure like others have said that if anyone can pull through this, it will be ralph. he has so much desire to be involved in this sport. my prayers and jingles are with ralph and his family, stacey

This is true times 100. Ralph is one of a kind. :( But if anyone can get through this it's Ralph. He is the most postitive and determined person I know.

Thank you maxtrott and lstevenson... :yes:

This is my "best wish"...most definitely my best prayer...Ralph out competing again and we ALL get to be on our ponies that day and cheer and weep and get all the chill bumps down our backs and arms I feel just writing about that most wonderful day and ride...:yes: :) :cool:

pwynnnorman
Apr. 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'm sure there will be posters and other notices at Rolex about Ralph's needs, but is there any possibility of putting together something like a last-minute silent auction on his behalf? Does Hughes Sports Production (or whatever the company name is that is producing the Rolex coverage) know about Ralph? A few words on his behalf in the program could go a long way, don't you think?

We could do an auction here on COTH, of course (and excuse me if someone has already posted this--I haven't read all of the posts) but I wonder if that auction could also have/post a phone number for people to call in their bids? I know that could be a security nightmare (with lots of non-paying bidders due to the public nature of the request), but if the next-highest serious bidder was used to compensate for that, could something be done? OR maybe if posters indicated the auction taking place and an URL for where so folks might get online after the event to bid? And if that auction and URL were noted in the NBC coverage, wouldn't that really, really be a great thing?

Granted, I know there is concern about the sport's image and that this accident might highlight aspects of the sport that are downplayed, but I'm just wondering here.

I mention this idea because Ralph is so much a part of Rolex's history. Again, I have no doubt that something is already planned, but 1,) it'd be nice to know what is in the works, and 2.) if we could--especially in light of the new news--do what we've done for others, well, gosh, it just seems we must, doesn't it?

Fred
Apr. 15, 2007, 10:21 AM
thank you for the updates.
I am sending jingles and prayers for Ralph and his family, for strength, courage and improvement.

If there is an auction to raise funds, I would be happy to help.
Just let me know.

Dressage62
Apr. 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
Jingles for Ralph...prayers for him and his family...
Lighting a candle...http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/groups.cfm?l=eng

mbj
Apr. 15, 2007, 12:21 PM
Holding Ralph and his family in the Light and jingling like mad. He is a tough fighter with grit to spare. i will chck here for fund-raising updates.

ponygirl
Apr. 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have heard of fund raisers getting put together for Ralph. I'm sure they will be posted as soon as they are solidified. In the meantime, some of us in my area are trying to quickly put together a benefit horse show where all proceeds go to Ralph. We want to hold it on April 29th as Rolex really is Ralphex to most.

denny
Apr. 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
If someone is arranging an auction or other fundraising effort, especially through the Chronicle BB, I`m sure they will get lots of response from all of us.
This latest news is hard to take. Let us know how we can help.

Winston's Mom
Apr. 15, 2007, 07:35 PM
Ralph has ridden my stallion Winston (now retired) and his kids, well, it seems like forever. He is one of a kind that's for sure, amazing horseman and a great friend. Most of the time this just doesn't seem like it can be real.
I remember when we were talking about picking his new stable name. He picked Phoenix Hill because he loved the myth of the Phoenix who rose from the ashes even better than before. If anyone can pull that one off its Ralph!
We are working on an auction and various other fund raisers, just waiting for the final OK from Erin about hosting the auction on the COTH. Horse people are amazing in how they pull together to help one of their own and eventers are simply the best. I know Ralph and his family can count on all of us to help out.
Sue

adamsmom
Apr. 15, 2007, 08:16 PM
My sister suggested that, since this is the first Rolex without Ralph (and we pray, the only) that I talk to Janie about having a moment of silent prayer for him on Sunday before show jumping.
I'm going to do what I can to make that happen, including talking to Janie & her office staff, some of the high placed volunteers I know, and Charlotte and Nigel, who serve as announcers.

If anyone else has any pull in that way, we appreciate any help you might provide. We figure if all those people in one place can send a giant positive, healing energy vibe to Ralph, it can only help him get better.

:yes:

Bensmom
Apr. 16, 2007, 12:59 AM
adamsmom -- I can send a word to one of the office staff at Rolex that is a friend of mine as well.

I echo what Sue said above -- the latest news is hard to take and all vibes, prayers, and positive thoughts will be welcome. I'm ready to help with any fundraising that I can.

Hang tough, buddy -- you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Libby

Winston's Mom
Apr. 16, 2007, 02:31 AM
Will sure chat with a sponsor and organizer for Rolex that I know and suggest the moment of silence for Ralph. Rolex won't be the same without him.

My 5 yr old Winston baby was with Ralph at Poplar doing prelim when he had the accident. Indy was third after dressage in only his second prelim. Ran the first clean under the time at Rocking Horse the previous weekend where lots of experienced horses had stops and eliminations. Ralph was so excited about their future together and Indy, like his Dad before him has a very special bond with Ralph. I know lots of people don't believe horses have the same feelings as people and that may be true but this horse seemed to understand something was very, very wrong. He's been anxious, and not quite himself since the accident. This weekend I dropped him off at a very good friend of Ralph's, Ivy Ledonne, who will keep him going in the hope that Ralph will one day be back in the saddle. Almost immediately Indy was back to his normal self. I like to think he knows he's there for a bigger purpose, as motivation and light at the end of the tunnel for his best friend during what is going to be a long and difficult recovery.

sue

Winston's Mom
Apr. 16, 2007, 02:41 AM
Also, forgot to mention, there is a web page in the works organized by Ivy, that will list all of the various fund raising efforts. We'll post the address and more info as soon as its up and running. Even with health insurance, unreimbursed medical bills are estiimated to run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
To get things started there is a benefit horse show in the works in Brevard County Florida which will most likely be held Rolex weekend and Cathy Belzer of Pine Meadow Farm in Minnasota will be hosting an open schooling weekend with proceeds to go to Ralph's recovery fund.
Sue

NMK
Apr. 16, 2007, 09:32 AM
Is there a place at Rolex that folks can make donations? How about the Area VIII booth? Can someone contact Mike Winter and Ruth to see if this is feasible? We need a BIG jar with an argyle sock in it, and we need to FILL that jar.

Nancy

eks
Apr. 16, 2007, 10:59 AM
This latest news about Ralph is too hard to take. He is an inspiration to everyone and such a generous person. He is an incredibly positive person. If anyone can overcome this, he can.

I am praying for him and his family.

2DogsFarm
Apr. 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
I am saddened to hear of Ralph's misfortune, and while not a "praying woman" will certainly keep hopes for his full recovery in my heart.

It has been many years since I cliniced with him, but I have never forgotten things he taught me or the way he truly cared for each horse/rider team he taught.

Jingling like crazy from Indiana!

shr
Apr. 16, 2007, 01:10 PM
NMK -- IN THE WORKS!!!!

More to come soon on showing your support for Ralph, Debbie, & Kim!

Stop by the Area VIII Booth at Rolex!

Shannon Risner
Area VIII Adult Rider Coordinator

2ndyrgal
Apr. 16, 2007, 01:40 PM
Would be more than happy to see if we can put some sort of donation jar, jug, table, whatever in the tent. Perhaps someone could coordinate some donation sites w/some of the vendors, USEA, wherever the folks with the $$ are shopping. Perhaps get some of the "eventing vendors" to donate a portion of sales, etc. Or if not that, at least some announcements, etc, to let people know where to go donate.

adamsmom
Apr. 16, 2007, 06:41 PM
adamsmom -- I can send a word to one of the office staff at Rolex that is a friend of mine as well.

I echo what Sue said above -- the latest news is hard to take and all vibes, prayers, and positive thoughts will be welcome. I'm ready to help with any fundraising that I can.

Hang tough, buddy -- you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Libby

Libby,

That would be awesome, as I haven't gotten to send anything yet. Was tied up all day in conference calls!! :(

I'll drop some hints as well, and hopefully we can get it done.

The more positive thoughts, the better!!

LA

SR Rider
Apr. 16, 2007, 07:54 PM
We did this at the office one time for someone ill; we made available a roll of paper so people could write notes, draw pictures etc and mailed it to them.
They really enjoyed it. We could have one each for Ralph, Debbie, Kim.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Apr. 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hey, instead of a moment of silence, what about a minute of singing? Could be row row row your boat, could be choose your own tune, could be some mass karaoke if someone can project or distribute words to some favorite Ralph song...

lstevenson
Apr. 17, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hey, instead of a moment of silence, what about a minute of singing? Could be row row row your boat, could be choose your own tune, could be some mass karaoke if someone can project or distribute words to some favorite Ralph song...

I think Ralph would enjoy hearing that we did this! :yes:

TBKate
Apr. 17, 2007, 04:01 PM
I think mass singing would be much more positive and in the "Ralph spirit" than a moment of silence. Whenever I'm part of a moment of silence, it feels very depressing, and those aren't the giant vibes we want to send to Ralph!

shea'smom
Apr. 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
I think it would have to be "Bad Boys".
I do hope someone organizes a donation spot at Rolex.

ponygirl
Apr. 17, 2007, 04:42 PM
For those of you going to Rolex, please purchase a bracelet. There is currently an effort to create bracelets like those seen on Ralph. We know Ralph was a poet and someone has his book of "Words of Wisdom". Those bracelets will have some snippets from his poem book. All monies will go directly to Ralph. Some folks here in my county have generously donated funds to get the bracelet creation going. They are scrambling like mad to have the bracelets ready for Rolex.

shea'smom
Apr. 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
great!

puffin2
Apr. 17, 2007, 05:29 PM
Please let us know how to get "Ralph Hill " bracelets. p

flutie1
Apr. 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
Bracelets are a terrific idea! Be sure to post how to order one. It'll go well with my "Maui Jim Horse Trials," AnimalRescueSite.com" and "Long Live the King" (in Thai) bracelets.

Flutie

RunForIt
Apr. 17, 2007, 07:11 PM
:) Live Strong never had a better meaning nor time - yes, please post how to purchase bracelets.

I have yet to tell DH about Ralph...he loves watching him at events, and not necessarily on a horse over fences :lol: :cool:

ponygirl
Apr. 17, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'll post the info as soon as I know. I get daily calls from those involved.

Lori T
Apr. 17, 2007, 09:24 PM
For those of you going to Rolex, please purchase a bracelet. There is currently an effort to create bracelets like those seen on Ralph. We know Ralph was a poet and someone has his book of "Words of Wisdom". Those bracelets will have some snippets from his poem book. All monies will go directly to Ralph. Some folks here in my county have generously donated funds to get the bracelet creation going. They are scrambling like mad to have the bracelets ready for Rolex.

I want one...a few actually. Let us know how to get one (other than Rolex).

tuppysmom
Apr. 18, 2007, 12:28 AM
I will off line from tomorrow to whenever we get home from Rolex. I hope that the braclets are easy to find. Maybe have some in the stable office?

Debbie
Apr. 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'd love to buy some bracelets and am not gonna make Rolex this year, so I'd love to know how to get one! Still jingling, praying and pulling for Ralph.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 19, 2007, 08:05 PM

Besides Rolex and ordering directly, let us know. I'm sure there are more then a few of us going to events that would be happy to bring them and sell them or coordinate with the Secretary of events to get them out there. PM me and I'd be happy to help.

FoxChaser
Apr. 19, 2007, 10:09 PM
The Area XIII booth will have the bracelets for sale!!! From my e-mailed newsletter:

"At the USEA Area VIII booth, located in Sponsor Village next door to the USEA, you can show your support by purchasing lapel ribbons, wristbands and posters which have been graciously donated by individuals interesting in helping these riders. You may also be approached by a pony clubber – a hopefully-irresistible wandering ambassador of this effort - to purchase one of these items. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these items will be directed to support Ralph, Kim & Debbie."

FairWeather
Apr. 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
I so love the idea of a sing-along. Hopefully someone with some pull can get it done :)

Sannois
Apr. 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
I have been out of the loop for a while, The last I had heard on the original thread was Ralph just had a Compound fracture?? HAs his condition worsened?? Can someone update me? Praying and Jingling hard for him,!!!

Dressage62
Apr. 20, 2007, 02:26 PM
check out page 2 of this thread for a direct quote from the www.CarePages.com website

araho
Apr. 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
For this week's issue containing a photo collage of Ralph and many of his Rolex partners. It is a nice reminder of why we always love watching Ralph ride.

Lori T
Apr. 20, 2007, 03:07 PM
For this week's issue containing a photo collage of Ralph and many of his Rolex partners. It is a nice reminder of why we always love watching Ralph ride.

Wow, you already have your copy? I will be lucky if I get in a week.

araho
Apr. 20, 2007, 03:18 PM
Nope, I'm sure my postman/woman would beat yours in a turtle race. I found it in the online version.

Lori T
Apr. 20, 2007, 03:33 PM
Nope, I'm sure my postman/woman would beat yours in a turtle race. I found it in the online version.

Ahh..got it! I log on straight to the bb, so I didn't see it. Right after I posted that, my latest issue of COTH came and I got excited...then saw the date...March 30. Oh well. I will need to check the home page more often!

Sannois
Apr. 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
God I am devistated. Lots a Prayers and Jingles for Ralph, hes a wonderful man and an awesome eventer. Hes a fighter I know he will come thru. I too would like info where to get a Bracelet! :sigh:

ponygirl
Apr. 21, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'll try and find out more info on the bracelets. Will see bracelet folks tomorrow :)

merrygoround
Apr. 22, 2007, 10:13 AM
I follow both Ralph's and Kim's carepages. Kim has an update almost daily. Ralph hasn't had an update since the 17 th. Couldn't someone take it over and keep us better updated?

I do hope he has made some progress. :yes:

deltawave
Apr. 22, 2007, 10:22 AM
Couldn't someone take it over and keep us better updated?

Hang on. While all of us are pulling for Ralph and care deeply about his recovery, please remember that one's medical condition is a VERY PRIVATE AFFAIR and it is only at the sufferance of his family and loved ones that we are kept informed at all. Please don't criticize Ralph's family and loved ones for not spending their precious time informing us of every moment's progress. Give them their space. We can still pray and think good thoughts without daily progress reports. :yes:

Winston's Mom
Apr. 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ruthie is away at a three day with no computer access. As the most computer literate of all of us she very graciously agreed to set up and update the care page. I think she is doing a wonderful job and rather than being critical we should all thank her for her efforts. She is posting new information as soon as the info is available to her (and she can get to a computer).
Ralph';s family and close friends are very grateful for the support and well wishes. I just picked up his mail yesterday and was amazed at the quantity of cards and letters from the people who's lives Ralph has touched. All of them will be sent to his family in the morning and they do read each and every one to Ralph.
Keeping everyone informed is a priority and I'm sure there will be updates as soon as more information is available. Recovery from head injury is a very individual process and the doctors can't predict the outcome or how long it will take. So, we're all in the same boat, waiting and hoping for the best.

RunForIt
Apr. 22, 2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Winston's Mom - you are so right, we are all hoping and praying for the best. Bless all of you who are truly close to Ralph; this must be immeasurably painful - the waiting and hoping. But you couldn't be more right in that head injuries are idiosyncratic - each has its own prognosis and journey. I know that all of us who have admired Ralph from afar are keeping all of you and of course, his family in our thoughts and prayers.

So wonderful that Ruthie is having a good weekend in Ocala! :cool:

maxxtrot
Apr. 22, 2007, 06:50 PM
i just wanted to say a huge thank you to ruthie for keeping all of us updated on ralph. i saw her and andrew this weekend at ocala and he was waiting on news on ralph. i am sure she will post as soon as she gets home from WINNING THE ONE STAR!!! at ocala this weekend.

thank you sue for that update as well. i know how much you love ralph and this waiting has got to be getting to you as well. i know it is killing me.i check that care page everyday, if just to read all of the stories, funny or sad about ralph. i am always in tears by the time i get done. give me a call if you can.

and everyone please keep the prayers and jingles coming for ralph, he has a very long road ahead of him and needs all of the positive vibes we can give him. and keep his family and close friends in your prayers as well.:)

RunForIt
Apr. 22, 2007, 08:44 PM
I wish you were coming to Poplar, maxxtrot!

shr
Apr. 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
Help Support Injured Riders while visiting Rolex!
This past year 3 event riders suffered devastating injuries and are now facing significant and unplanned medical, rehabilitation and living expenses. They are also unable to continue their careers at this point. Debbie Atkinson was injured last fall at Kentucky Classic, Kim Meier in a schooling accident in January and Ralph Hill in a fall at Poplar Place in March.

They need your help – and you can do something about it while at Rolex!

At the USEA Area VIII booth, located in Sponsor Village next door to the USEA, you can show your support by purchasing lapel ribbons, wristbands and posters which have been graciously donated by individuals interesting in helping these riders. You may also be approached by a pony clubber – a hopefully-irresistible wandering ambassador of this effort - to purchase one of these items. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these items will be directed to support Ralph, Kim & Debbie.

You may also make a tax-deductible contribution specifically for the benefit of one or more riders by writing a check made out to one of the financial aid funds which have been established in each case. Financial aid information is available and these donations are being accepted at the Area VIII booth and will be promptly forwarded to the designated fund.

Please help support Debbie, Kim and Ralph as they face their challenges. Every bit helps – stop by the booth and see how you can participate!

Mudroom
Apr. 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
Auction Item: (Info from Mary Lowry)

Eleanor Miller has graciously donated her sponsor package for Rolex this weekend. This is your chance to have very special tickets to our favorite event! The money will go directly to the Equestrian Aid Foundation to benefit our injured riders, Ralph Hill, Debbie Atkinson and Kim Meier, and is totally tax deductible!.

The Sponsor package that has been donated is 4 tickets, to include: The Sponsor Party Thurs, the Gainesway dinner Fri, sponsor pavilion passes, exclusive (close) parking, ring side seats for dressage & SJ, passes to the winner celebration to meet all the winning riders at the end of the competition, encore tent passes- which is an exclusive tent on cross country w/ a bar & bird's eye view of the water fence, AND a personal golf cart tour (with Alston Kerr) of the course & the TV production van... I am sure there is more... The book value is $5,000.

We are doing a "silent auction" via email. Updates will be posted on the www.carepages.com, on Ralph Hill's page. My email address is altavistafarm@aol.com, so let's start the bidding, and see how much we can raise! The highest bidder by midnight on Wed can pick up the tickets Thursday morning! Email me with your bid.

Let's help Ralph and all of our friends and raise some $ ... When will you ever have this opportunity again???

merrygoround
Apr. 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the recent update. :yes:

Sammy's Mom
Apr. 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
I hope it is ok to just cut and paste...

Ralph's family visited with the Doctors at Drake yesterday for a complete report on Ralph's test results so far. They have discovered that Ralph does have a brain stem injury. The CAT scans continue to stay the same at this time and show no new problems. The brain stem injury does not necessarily indicate that Ralph will not recover but helps everyone in determining the best course of treatment and rehabilitation. The good news is Ralph continues to show improvement everyday. At this point it is still unknown how long it will take for him to recover and what the long term prognosis is but he is continuing to slowly improve.
Many have asked about the Ralph Hill fund raising bracelets, T Shirts and posters that will be sold at Rolex. These items will also be available for purchase at other events this season. We will update here how and where you can purchase them. They are expected to sell out so if you have friends going to Rolex ask them to buy them for you there!
Also, remember the bidding on the Rolex sponsor package ends tomorrow so get your bids in at altavistafarm@aol.com for this incredible opportunity now! Bid amounts are being posted below.
Ruthie

DLee
Apr. 24, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am holding on to the fact that I had a friend with a brain stem injury off of a horse, with a helmet. She was in a coma for well over a month, but DID come out of it and DID get better. A big battle of relearning things, to be sure, but she did it. And this was years ago. Go Ralph! :yes:

NeverTime
Apr. 24, 2007, 01:36 PM
I like to hear that, DLee.
While I love all the positive, upbeat sentiments expressed on this thread about "hope to see you soon!" they seem to be very much at odds with the news being posted on Ralph's carepage, the more recent of which are very blunt about the severity of his condition and -- while there is hope -- there seems to be a very good chance that he will never regain much function, physical or mental.
Trying to make sense of this, much like with Kim's situation, it's really helpful to hear from people who have experience with these sorts of injuries, to understand what range of experiences the future might hold.
I truly hope that his recovery is like your friend's, and that he really will be out and about -- and maybe even teaching and riding again -- in the future. The alternatives just seems too sad and unfair.
Sorry to rain on the parade of all these wonderful fund-raising efforts and well-wishes, but every time I read his carepage, my heart sinks a little more.:(

purpleice
Apr. 24, 2007, 04:37 PM
mudroom- i was just about to post that! (ah mary, the crazy aunt of my youth...i miss ky in april).
while we should respect the privacy of ralph and family, it is most uplifting to read stories of his positive impact on people. having idolized him as a child, and been honored to be taught by him (though infrequently) as a young adult, i pray not only for his recovery, but his ability to remount.

rolex will miss his whistling rounds this year, but let's hope his courage to kick carries everyone around safely.

buschkn
Apr. 24, 2007, 11:25 PM
OMG. I am so very sad to hear this news! I have not kept up with this thread and last I had heard was that Ralph had had a fall at Poplar with several broken bones but thoughts for a full and speedy recovery. I am sorry to hear his recovery is longer and more difficult than any of us would have initially imagined. It does seem downright unfair the things that are happening to so many wonderful people in eventing.

Who can forget the sounds of glee and look of utter joy on Ralph's face as he went galloping by on Rolex XC? The roars of the crowds at his obvious sheer enjoyment of life and sport and horses! I can say I was never at an event where I didn't hear him "whoop" or see him grinning from ear to ear. I fondly remember several years ago at Foxhall when I worked for Nathalie and Michael Pollard and Carl Bouckaert. Michael rode Carl's "The Boomer" who is notoriously strong and fast on XC and hard to control. One of the fences required a tight right hand turn and Boomer overjumped and he is wont to do, and Michael just had a glance off at the fence off the tight turn. After the round Ralph came up to Michael and slapped him on the back and while smiling and laughing, jovially said "OH MAN! You guys were TRUCKING!! I thought you had it!!" Except it was some other hilarious word that escapes me but evokes images of a steam engine, and everyone just laughed and laughed.

He was SOOO genuinely excited, just thrilled about the magic of the sport. I didn't know him at all, but I adored his spirit from that day forward. May it carry him home to the saddle.

JAGold
Apr. 24, 2007, 11:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Ralph's road continues to be a long and difficult one. I'm also grateful that his family has been understanding about the eventing community's concern for Ralph and has chosen to share so much information about his situation with us. I would never presume to ask for more information about his specific situation. However, if it isn't inappropriate, could any of the medical types on this BB describe in general, for a generic patient, the range of injuries/prognoses covered by a "brain stem injury?" It sounds so serious, but I imagine that like anything else, it can mean different things to different people...can anyone bound my imagination within the realms of possibilities for an injury of this type? --Jess

wondering
Apr. 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
Time will tell. The brain stem is located at the base of the skull. It connects the top of the brain to the spinal cord. A TBI (traumatic brain injury) can happen due to a blood clot or a bruise. I have seen people I did not expect to ever wake up walk back into the ICU to meet the staff. Other people with TBI's never wake up. It is truly a waiting game. It isn't like the movies when someone looks at the door and asks were everyone is, although I have seen it happen. More typically it is three steps forward one step back. There will be peaks, valleys and plateau's during his rehab. His broken bones aren't healed yet. We can predict how long bones need to heal. We can't predict the healing time after a TBI. Patience and prayers.

NeverTime
Apr. 25, 2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks, wondering.

CookiePony
Apr. 25, 2007, 01:36 PM
Patience and prayers.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

pharmgirl
May. 3, 2007, 08:55 PM
According to the rk3de site, today (May 3) is Ralph's 55th birthday!

We should all go over to the care page and wish him a happy birthday! :yes:

And, for those not checking there directly here is the latest post from Ruthie (I don't think it has been posted yet, but if it has I apologize):

April 30, 2007 at 09:58 PM EDT
Rolex week was a very good week for Ralph. He gained the ability to speak and although his speech is coherant it is not necessarily relevant to his suroundings. He does speak full sentences but is still not able to respond directly to questions or demands. He is still making daily improvements in his speech and mobility. At this time he still cannot receive visitors but his mail and posts here are read to him.
The fund raising through Equestrian Aid Foundation at Rolex Kentucky went very well with thousands of bracelets and posters sold. Posters and bracelets will be available at the Poplar Place Farm Horse Trials this weekend. Information will be posted at the secretary stand on where you can purchase these items at the event. As always, all proceeds from the sales go to assist Ralph in his recovery.
Ralph has a website set up with all of the fund raising activities posted on a calendar. I will post the link to the website here in the near future.
Once again, Ralph's friends and family are very grateful for the outpouring of financial support and well wishes he has received.
Ruthie

FoxChaser
May. 3, 2007, 09:09 PM
From the Area XIII newsletter:

This past weekend at the Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event our Area operated a booth in ‘Sponsor Village’ (part of the ‘trade fair’). As you all know – our purpose was twofold: to help collect funds for Ralph Hill, Debbie Atkinson and Kim Meier – and to raise funds for area programs. I’m pleased to report to you that both efforts were very successful!

Injured Rider Support
To support these injured riders we helped sell t-shirts, wristbands, lapel ribbons and posters. These items – combined with many generous ‘just because’ donations – generated just over $27,000 in aid – all of which will be provided to Ralph, Debbie and Kim. I think we also helped publicize and create awareness about the situation – and about the existence and purpose of the Equestrian Aid Foundation – an organization that helps anyone in the equestrian world suffering from a life threatening illness or other catastrophic accidents or injuries. Many thanks to all who gave to this effort! (And if you didn’t get the chance to help at Rolex – look for these items to be ‘on sale’ at many of the area’s events and clinics this year!)

Mariequi
May. 4, 2007, 07:42 PM
I was 56 this week and feel older. I never thought of Ralph that way, always marveling at his enthusiasm, sportsmanship, athleticism and good humour. Good vibes and prayers non-stop to you, your family, friends and fans, and your horses who must be missing you.

ToucheToujour
May. 4, 2007, 10:55 PM
Still jingling for Ralph! My card goes out tomorrow :D

Like anything in the horse world, patience is the ultimate key to success. I hope this stands up to the test of time for Ralph

Grasshopper
May. 5, 2007, 08:23 AM
Still jingling! :)

Shay Darra
May. 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just curious as the care pages have not been updated recently.

I bought 5 bracelets at Rolex and have 3 extras if anyone wants one. I'd mail them free of charge. Just send a pm with mailing address and I'll send to the first 3 who respond.

Rolex wasn't the same without him. Lots of jingles from Texas.

SD

shea'smom
May. 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
I bought 5 bracelets and a bright yellow t-shirt:cool:
I would like an update too, I check the carepages for Ralph and Kim.

Laurel&HollyFarm
May. 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
My husband and I are both wearing our Ralph bracelets. Just praying that he will show some improvement soon. I know if there was some they would let us know. As frustrating as it is for us it is much more so for those surrounding him.

Edited to add that we watched the NBC coverage of Rolex and the first thing both of us noticed was that Jim Wofford was wearing his Ralph bracelet as well.

Longspot
May. 9, 2007, 10:42 PM
I haven't taken my wristband off.

I know it's only been a short time since Rolex, but having that visual reminder of what life is about sets a fire underneath me. I've stepped up my game as a rider. I know Kim, Ralph, Debbie, and others would do anything to be back in the saddle. It's a gift to be able to get frustrated when I botch my canter departs. This wristband reminds me to work that much harder, to not waste this gift of time and health that I currently have.

I just wish I could share it with them. :sadsmile:

Sammy's Mom
May. 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
"Good news as Ralph continues to improve. He is starting to show some of his personality and humor in his communication efforts. It is still a slow progression but he does continue to improve every day. Ralph is preparing for a return to rehab shortly and we will keep you updated as to changes in his condition or location.
The bracelets and posters have proven to be very popular and in high demand. Bracelets and posters will be available at the Rocking Horse Schooling show in May, Florida Horse Park Schooling in June, Poplar Place Farm Horse Trials in June and Jersey Fresh CCI in June.
The calendar of Ralph benefits can be found at http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mr1ou7e7f92lkfgnv2sv57bur8%40group.calen dar.google.com
As always, his letters and posts here are read to him daily.
Ruthie"

Sounds promising. I had heard that he was trying to get into a rehab facility near where he is staying now--hopefully he will get in soon so he can start full recovery!!!

texang73
May. 10, 2007, 11:15 AM
So glad he is improving!! :yes:

I bought my bracelet at Rolex too, and it really was not the same without him this year.

Jingling like mad in Houston for continued success!!:D

Shay Darra
May. 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
The 3 Ralph bracelets that I had have now been distributed. Hope the new owners wear them and jingle like mad for Ralph's full recovery.

Think it would be worth talking to the COTH powers that be to see if there is any way bracelts could be sold via the bb to help raise more money for Ralph's expenses?

Just a thought.

SD

horsekpr
May. 10, 2007, 09:54 PM
I requested a Ralph bracelet from a friend of mine who went to Rolex. She finally remembered to give it to me today ! He has been in my thoughts many times today,and I am really pleased to come on tonight ,and find some encouraging news. I never met Ralph personally,but anyone who has been to an event where he competed can't help but notice him. I am so glad he is doing better.

merrygoround
May. 29, 2007, 07:33 AM
The 3 Ralph bracelets that I had have now been distributed. Hope the new owners wear them and jingle like mad for Ralph's full recovery.

Think it would be worth talking to the COTH powers that be to see if there is any way bracelts could be sold via the bb to help raise more money for Ralph's expenses?

Just a thought.

SD

Right now the only way to get them is in a bag of 250, that's a lotta bracelets to find homes for. :(

Glad I got mine at Rolex.

Lori T
May. 29, 2007, 07:38 AM
Where is Maxtrot? I read on flahorse that she is selling them. Stacey, do you still have them? I would like to order some.

shea'smom
May. 29, 2007, 07:54 AM
I think it is bags of 50, not 250. Cost is around $225, $250.
I got 5 at Rolex.
the lastest update on Ralph's carepage is great!

maxxtrot
May. 29, 2007, 09:29 AM
hi guys, sorry been a little busy. i do have braclets but they are new and different ones. i had some made my self as there were people that did not get theirs and before i knew they would be sold by the bags.
the ones i had made will be here this week or the first of next week. they are burgandy in color and have his name and the saying" ride it like you stole it". they will be available for purchase as soon as i get them. they will also be with me at poplar in june. they will be sold one for $6.00 and two for $10.00. all proceeds will be going straight to ralph's rehab fund. i have setup a pay-pal account for the braclets under my name- stacey d. emory. if i have enough people interested i can also purchase a bag of the original ones too, just let me know. thanks guys and keep jingling and praying, it really does seem to be working. we really miss him down here in florida and want him back real soon. stacey

Winston's Mom
May. 29, 2007, 10:21 AM
I e-mailed Erin several times about setting up an auction similar to the one held here for Kim. Got only one response that she needed to check with the powers that be, and several other inquiries sent got no response so I guess that's a NO.

Ralph seems to be doing much better, The horse we own together did his first horse trial with Ivy and he called her to see how things went with his horse. We're planning to do Champagne run so that Indy and Ralph can have a visit.

Lori T
May. 29, 2007, 01:04 PM
hi guys, sorry been a little busy. i do have braclets but they are new and different ones. i had some made my self as there were people that did not get theirs and before i knew they would be sold by the bags.
the ones i had made will be here this week or the first of next week. they are burgandy in color and have his name and the saying" ride it like you stole it". they will be available for purchase as soon as i get them. they will also be with me at poplar in june. they will be sold one for $6.00 and two for $10.00. all proceeds will be going straight to ralph's rehab fund. i have setup a pay-pal account for the braclets under my name- stacey d. emory. if i have enough people interested i can also purchase a bag of the original ones too, just let me know. thanks guys and keep jingling and praying, it really does seem to be working. we really miss him down here in florida and want him back real soon. stacey

Stacey,
I will take 4. I will have to wait til my son gets back from Europe next week so he can pay pal you.
Thanks for doing this.

Mariequi
May. 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
Maxx - I'd like a couple of yours!

dqwannabe
May. 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
I would like to buy some of the braclets.. where can I get them??.. I can Paypal someone..
please feel free to email me!
broyles@dcwis.com

CatchMeIfUCan
May. 29, 2007, 10:45 PM
I want bracelets too....I would take 2 original ones and 2 new ones or 4 new ones!

Email is catch_me419@yahoo.com. I can paypal too!

MissFit
May. 30, 2007, 12:46 PM
Or two! Maybe we could somehow set up a master list of everyone who wants vs everyone who has and match people up?

sfir
May. 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
The green Ralph Hill bracelets will be available to purchase individually through Bit of Britain very shortly. John Nunn has been EXTREMELY generous and supportive of the injured riders and equestrian aid foundation so I strongly urge people to support his business.
Ruthie

Mariequi
May. 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
That's great news. We'll pass on the word.

maxxtrot
May. 31, 2007, 07:57 PM
good news, the new bracelets with "ride it like you stole it" will be here on monday, so if you are interested in them, please email me and let me know. thanks so much, stacey

ruthie, that is great that we can still get the green ones not in bulk. i was going to just buy a bag of those as well, and sell them seperate too.:)

arnika
Jun. 20, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ralph Hill update from June 14th. Just wanted to add it here.

June 14, 2007

Hello All
Sorry for the length between posts but Ralph is now at Cardinal Hill in rehab so information is not quite as forthcoming. Physically he is doing well. The orthopedic surgeon said that he needs another 9 weeks before he can be fully weight bearing on the leg that was broken. He is currently in the brain injury department and continuing his mental therapy there.

He is eating and able to converse normally with much less confusion but his long- term memory is weak. He gets evaluated every 5 days to determine his length of stay, so right now it is unknown how long he will be there. His family is visiting him frequently and he continues to progress well.

Ralph is now expressing his desire to get back in the saddle and get teaching again. He is aware that he has some recovery to do before he gets to that point and was looking forward to getting to work on it at Cardinal Hill. He is as tenacious as ever and is eager for a fishing trip as soon as possible.

Ralph has discovered Oreo McFlurries and apparently is completely addicted to them.

That's all for now. I will post as soon as I have more info.
Ruthie

I'm very glad to hear he is getting his fighting spirit back and is looking forward to working again. Yea, Ralph!!

bigdreamer
Jun. 20, 2007, 11:16 AM
oh wow, GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

i'm definitely getting a bracelet!

maxxtrot
Jun. 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
ralph you ole bird, you never cease to amaze me! :) this is great. i had heard about this at poplar 2 weeks ago, this is really great news. i personally can't wait for him to start teaching again!!!!

RunForIt
Jun. 20, 2007, 04:58 PM
...on the day of Ralph's "first day back" teaching? Will probably be SRO for sure - STANDING ROOM ONLY!!!!! :D :yes: :)

sfir
Jun. 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
I am copying this update that I have just posted from the carepage.

Ralph's doctors had a meeting today with Ralph's family. Apparently since his move to Cardinal Hill Ralph has been getting many unexpected visitors. Ralph's doctors are very concerned that this increase in visitation is having a negative effect on his recovery. He is becoming confused, angry and frustrated because of the over stimulation. Ralph's family has been given very specific guidelines on how to best aid in his recovery. They ask that EVERYONE refrains from visiting with Ralph while he is at Cardinal Hill at this time. Anyone who wishes to visit with Ralph can do so through Ralph's family. Please understand that Ralph's family has been given very specific guidelines on how to converse with Ralph that will help him progress without too much confusion. They ask that Ralph's friends please respect the fact that Ralph is in recovery right now and his doctors have requested a hold on visitors for Ralph's benefit.
Everyone is still welcome to post their well wishes to Ralph here. These are read to him at times that are appropriate. He will get all of your posts here!
Thank you,
Ruthie

I am reposting this here because of the urgency in the situation. The doctors have suggested that Ralph's family hire a full time nurse to stay outside his door to prevent him from having unexpected visitors. Obviously this will have to be paid for and his family would much rather have all funds going to his recovery instead of a 'watch' nurse. If anyone here knows anyone who has visited Ralph or is intending to please pass along this information. It is imperative that Ralph gets the 'quiet' time he needs to heal both mentally and physically.
Ralph has very limited memory of people, places or things before the accident at this time. As you can imagine this is very frustrating for him and having visitors only worsens his frustration and anger at the situation. At the point he is recovered enough to start visiting and socializing we will post that info on the carepage.
Thanks again,
Ruthie

maxxtrot
Jun. 20, 2007, 10:24 PM
ruthie, i am floored that people would be so callus as to sneak in to see him. we all miss him terrible, but everyone must know that he needs this quiet time to heal and be with his family and very close friends that he remembers!
PEOPLE PLEASE, UNEXPECTED VISTORS ARE ONLY GOING TO MAKE THIS LONG ROAD TO RECOVERY MORE DIFFICULT FOR RALPH! be patient and i am sure as ruthie has said, when he is allowed vistors, we all will know. i know we all want him back good as new ,so please give him the time he needs:)

p.s.- thanks ruthie for everything you are doing.

wabadou
Jun. 20, 2007, 10:31 PM
Perhaps this should be posted as a new thread? In case people don't happen to check the last page of this one that has been going on for a while?
Just to make sure as many as possible see it. You'd hope that people would have the sense and common courtesy to check with the family first but since some aren't and it is interfering with his progress, maybe posting it as a new thread might catch some who might be considering going without asking permission from the family.
Just a thought..

canyonoak
Jun. 20, 2007, 10:37 PM
Perhaps a clearly worded sign on the door--along the lines of

You!
The person about to open this door!

PLEASE: Do NOT open the door.
PLEASE: What is needed now is peace and quiet.

Thank you.

maxxtrot
Jun. 21, 2007, 09:42 AM
canyon- great idea. seems some people are thinking, oh it's just me, but then x's that by how many people want to see him and he has a new problem to deal with. so, be thinking about him everyday, and wait. our time will come when we will all get to see him.:)

Mariequi
Jul. 10, 2007, 06:32 PM
Heard I just missed Ralph at Antebellum show yesterday. Think he was schooling Chris Newton - or someone. Pooh!

snoopy
Jul. 10, 2007, 06:46 PM
I can not confirm this information...but I have heard from Kim Walnes that Ralph is out of the rehab centre and back with his family and that he will be going to rehab 3X per week. Also they are looking at about 8 weeks before he is able to support weight on the broken leg. He is working on composing an email message to the centre so it would seem that his brain is coming back to a better function.

As I have said I can NOT confirm that this is accurate, but Kim is a great friend and is in regular contact with his family.

maxxtrot
Jul. 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
snoopy- seems as what you posted is true as i have gotten the same information. i also did hear about him coaching someone(chris newton?) this past weekend at a show. all really good news, as i know we all want the ole ralph back as close as we can get it. we miss him terrible here in really hot! florida!

BarbB
Jul. 10, 2007, 08:13 PM
for those of you who don't log onto the Carepages...

31 July 07, 2007 at 08:38 PM EDTRalph has returned home with his family and is now just doing out patient rehab at Cardinal Hill 3 times a week. For those of you who have been following the carepages there is some great news as Ralph has indicated he would like to put his own message up on the care page in the next few days. He will be working on it and as soon as I receive it I will post it here. Please keep your messages and encouraging words for Ralph coming!
Ruthie

snoopy
Jul. 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
well I am glad that I have posted some correct information!!! Thanks for the confirmation...I always worry when I do not hear things first hand. In any event, this is great news for Ralph, his family, and supporters.

GreekDressageQueen
Jul. 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
I rode with Ralph Hill once - he was amazing! I am so glad to hear he is doing better. I tried to find some information, but what happened to him? Did he suffer these injuries in a riding accident or car? I can't seem to find any details.

maxxtrot
Jul. 10, 2007, 10:10 PM
greekdq- if you go to carepages.com log in and type in ralphhill (no spaces) it will take you to his care page. all information and updates are there, you may also send him a message, they are read to him. his injuries were from a riding accident in march at poplar place farm, running advanced.