PDA

View Full Version : Morven Park HTs this weekend!!!!

nowoncourse
Mar. 26, 2007, 10:06 PM
So who is going?

I'm taking my guy out T. Sort of excited, sort of nervous for the first show of the season!

buffington180
Mar. 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'll be in the prelim.
Its my first time to Morven, anyone know what I can expect?

(how is the layout of the facilities? Any incites on the P XC course?)

yventer
Mar. 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
Dressage ride times are posted - Monday night - two days before promised in the Omnibus. How cool is that?!? Thanks, Margaret and Shannon (organizer and secretary)!!

The weather looks to be loverly, and it will be my first outing on Dakota since VHT CCI** last fall. I'm a bit concerned, but only about my "riding chops", not the Kaboinger's ability ;->

We were able to get in an XC school at Win Green on Sunday, so I feel a little better....

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 26, 2007, 10:57 PM
Well, I'll be out there walking the T cross country course on Friday afternoon in order to check it out--I'm entered in the Loudoun Hunt HT at the end of April; I figured this one would be too soon to get ready for, but my horse is actually pretty fit right now, the weather looks good this week, and it makes me wish I had entered after all! :sigh:

Good luck to everyone who will be competing! :)

S4zeus
Mar. 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
I am hoping to get up on Sunday and watch some cross country. I too am entered at Loudoun. My reasoning was a little different though, if they had canceled Morven's HT due to EHV with the no refund clause in the omnibus I just couldn't risk it! Good luck to those competing looks to be gorgeous!

Carol Ames
Mar. 27, 2007, 12:34 AM
:yes: I will be jump judging, though unfortunately NOT with Neil, :sadsmile: he is still in "recovery " following his wifes; surgery, and recent visit by the granddaughter:eek: .A friend from my church, also a former eventer :yes: has offered to take me, hooray!:yes: and, I can't tell you what vehicle we will be in, either a pickup truck or a camry, obviously I am not taking my power chair, if anyone hears of a raffle to win a vehicle with a wheelchair lift' Please let me know!:winkgrin:

piaffeprincess98
Mar. 27, 2007, 07:13 AM
I'll be there going to training to start the season, then onwards and upwards to prelim. My dressage time is 4:20! It will be a late stadium round I suppose. I remember last year at Loudon I didn't SJ until like 7pm. I was pleasently suprised to see they divided up the training divisions more and I qualify for J/YR training.

JustJump250
Mar. 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
Anyone know what to expect for the T xc? I'm a little nervous, and feeling rusty this early in the year! How difficult is it usually, say, in comparison to Seneca's fall course?

HandsomeRansom
Mar. 27, 2007, 08:13 AM
Good luck to all competing!
I will be there as a spectator. One of my little lesson girls eats, sleeps, dreams, lives horses, but her parents dont see it, so I asked them if I could bring her along. She's thrilled!

B Street Tango
Mar. 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
That's so fun, HandsomeRandsom, Morven Park is one of my favorite HTs to spectate. You're going to have a ball with your little lesson girl.

I'll be there taking pictures of a couple of friends and cheering them on. Looks like the weather and footing should be pretty nice!

If anyone would like me to try and get pictures of them, just post your penny number and I'll do my best...but no promises!

StrawberryFields
Mar. 27, 2007, 10:28 AM
ill be spectating (and shopping!!) on sunday with a friend!

toeknee
Mar. 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
YEAH! times are out early...i'm riding a 3ish test. i am super excited for our first outing of the year. "hopefully" with a few good trainings we will hit prelim in may!

justjump-there is a thread called morven spring horse trials or something with lots of info on the courses...i have heard it is a fairly early season test...

bstreet-that is so nice offering to take pics and i will def take you up on your offer:) i will post my # when i find it!

bambam
Mar. 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
I scratched so will be jump judging on Sunday instead. Good luck everybody!!! I am so jealous :D

JustJump250
Mar. 27, 2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks toeknee-I'd forgotten about that thread!

Good luck everyone, looks like we're in for good weather and good footing!

asterix
Mar. 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
bambam, I want HOLLERING as I (hopefully) sail over your fence. I am more than bummed you aren't riding with me, but I know the Princess will come out fighting later this year...
I'm really excited as this seemed like a whacky idea when I entered -- between the early season weather/footing, our total lack of jumping/schooling recently, and the EHV thing, it seemed quite a fantastical proposition...

but we just wrapped up two great sj/xc schools (ok, so horsey was great, I was non-fatally rusty), and the weather/footing looks pretty darn nice....

woo hoo!!
I'll be there around 2:30ish dressage in T, right behind nowoncourse...

Dr. D, I plan to walk the course Fri afternoon, too -- I will look for you!!!

asterix
Mar. 27, 2007, 11:13 AM
can't imagine it's a tough as Seneca fall - that WAS a late season course!

I do have third hand (but pretty reliable) info that a trakhener is being built for the 2nd to last fence on the T course, but it will allegedly be "not too huge" :D

Carol Ames
Mar. 27, 2007, 11:27 AM
The entire course is solid,open and galloping, so, get your line and kick on!:yes: ;)

buffington180
Mar. 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know how they run the SJ and XC times? Im thinking the SJ will just be a "window" of time that you can show up to jump, but what about XC? Will they post the times on Saturday or something?

FrittSkritt
Mar. 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
I might be there volunteering, I'd like to do Saturday but haven't gotten a call back from Shannon. :confused: Is there anyone else I should try?

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 27, 2007, 02:50 PM
Dang, I'm green with envy at all those who entered--had I known the weather would be so nice (and my horse so ready!) I would have entered this one...but there's always Loudoun in 4 weeks (with our luck it will *pour* down rain the night before X-country--so long, $199. :sigh: Of course one can always do it as a CT, since the other two phases are on footing...)

asterix, I will look for you on Friday afternoon...I'll be meeting my student there (who is also entered at Loudoun), the one with the ditchy grey Connemara/TB mare...(you met her at the MD HT last summer.) When she finds out there's a new Trakehner on the Training course, she'll freak! :eek:

It sounds like you and "the big guy" are ready to roll--how exciting! Good luck! :) I may try to come out on Sunday to watch some (and maybe Saturday.) I am entered in a CT in Middleburg on Sunday (and will have 5 students riding in it too!), so that will be a busy day for me--otherwise, I would have signed up to jump judge. If everyone's times are late enough (and mine are early enough!), maybe I'll try to come out and catch some of your rides in the afternooon!

In any case, everyone have fun--and good luck! :D

_GiGI_
Mar. 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
The farm I board at is just getting into Eventing and has never attended a recognized event. I am brining a boatload of people on Sunday morning to watch and learn! There are alot of kids there that hope to event themselves and I know they'll be thrilled to watch the real thing in action! Here's hoping for some good weather b/c there will be alot of us there walking around and cheering!

buffington180
Mar. 27, 2007, 03:20 PM

Carol Ames
Mar. 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
Who is the TD?

bambam
Mar. 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
I might be there volunteering, I'd like to do Saturday but haven't gotten a call back from Shannon. :confused: Is there anyone else I should try?
FrittSkitt- the volunteer coordinator info I have is- Sue W. Elliott, Chair, XC, Committee, creekxng@rstarmail.com (Committeecreekxng@rstarmail.com), 540-338-5345. That is who Shannon put me in contact with and she has been emailing me.
Dr D- if you want to spectate, I have been told x-c won't be over until 5 or so because they have over 230 entries so you should have plenty of time :-). A/I runs first, then P then T. At least that is the info I was given from the volunteer coordinator

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks, bambam! :)

I think my CT will be over pretty early (it's small--but doesn't start until 11:00 AM; I'll be going first, my students later...) Hopefully I will be able to get all my students through their dressage and jumping, drop my horse off, and high-tail it over to Morven in time to see some rides! :p

I really look forward to seeing the course and seeing some people go--I just wish I were able to be there for most of the day (and/or volunteer), but this CT was too good a schooling opp to miss out on (especially after we had two in a row cancelled!)

piaffeprincess98
Mar. 28, 2007, 07:10 AM
Anyone know what to expect for the T xc? I'm a little nervous, and feeling rusty this early in the year! How difficult is it usually, say, in comparison to Seneca's fall course?

No one really knows what to expect since this is the first time Morven has had training at this HT. If it's anything like Loudon though, I know some people considered the portable fences kind of small.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 28, 2007, 09:28 AM
This is probably a *good* thing, this early in the season...;)

AshKnoll
Mar. 28, 2007, 05:34 PM
I am going to heading up for the cross-country on Sunday, my first time going to the event after growing up here, how embarrassing. Anyway, I was really hoping to see the Advanced cross-country, but it looks like that is out, it seems that division is dying off at this horse trial for some reason. My question though is I have always wanted to see the infamous leaf pit, and was wondering if that was going to be on the Intermediate course. My guess is probably not; so even if it isn't, can someone give me general directions on how to get to it so I can see it up close? Thanks for the help, and looks like it will be beautiful this weekend. Good luck to those competing.

asterix
Mar. 28, 2007, 07:02 PM
Carol, the TD is Gretchen Butts.

Dr. D, we've changed our plans, no course walking on Fri -- will do sometime betwixt and between on Sat instead. But if you come spectate on Sunday I'll look for you!!!

Carol Ames
Mar. 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
O. K, Here is what I know at this time,:yes: I will be in a Chevy pickup truck with the bed cover on to protect my chair, My "church friend " who is taking me used to event, and recognized me from some old eventing photos , she is Leesa K. Anderson
; for everyone competing have a good "go", and do remember this Ralphism::yes: :yes:

Take a deep seat, get a faraway look in your eye and kick on.":winkgrin:

Carol Ames
Mar. 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
Piaffeprincess98 r J/YR?

Still a bit wet behind the ears?:winkgrin: :lol:

Carol Ames
Mar. 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
Issthe briefing at 6:45 or 6:30?:confused: How great is this? My ride wants to do a"dry run " on Saturday to see how much help I will need in and out of the truck also how long it takes to get there sans,horse trailer! obviously an eventer very aware of time!:lol:

Carol Ames
Mar. 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
Jumper 63, this used to be the start of the season for anyone going to Rolex, it was even a selection trial, but, with the events in Florida many people do not feel it necessary or even advisable to run their advanced horses here

B Street Tango
Mar. 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
Jumper63, I'll do my best to get you in the general direction. Basically, as you'd be walking over to the big field in front of the mansion, the tree line before you get there, has a big hammock (the water is off to your right) follow that treeline down to the left, you'll pass some kind of a ramp-y jump, also set in the treeline then you'll come to a brush jump (?), go through the tree line at that point and follow the track a little up to the left. You'll see a log, one stride to another, smaller log. The ground drops off immediately after the smaller log, down through a gully and then they'd ride up the other side over a house. Hope that helps. If I get a chance to walk the course on Friday with my friend, I'll add jump numbers/track direction, too. I'm sure if you ask anyone there, they'd be happy to help.

eventingblog
Mar. 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
We will, assuming the eventing gods are with us and our newest writer doesn't get hit by a bus, be posting our first "live" videos and on-site commentary/ results/ interviews from Morven.

Info will be posted at http://eventing-blog.com

It sounds like the weather will be great and about there are 230 rides, as of tonight :)

Off to check on the 'orsies now :lol:

Margie
http://eventing-blog.com

nowoncourse
Mar. 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
Ok so Morven is two days away at this point and now I'm more on the nervous side! I hate these first show jitters! Don't they ever go away??!!

_GiGI_
Mar. 29, 2007, 10:15 AM
O. K, Here is what I know at this time,:yes: I will be in a Chevy pickup truck with the bed cover on to protect my chair, My "church friend " who is taking me used to event, and recognized me from some old eventing photos , she is Leesa K. Anderson
; for everyone competing have a good "go", and do remember this Ralphism::yes: :yes:

Take a deep seat, get a faraway look in your eye and kick on.":winkgrin:

Hi Carol! I'll stop by and say hello!

Btw - love the Ralph quote!

bambam
Mar. 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
Issthe briefing at 6:45 or 6:30?:confused:
6:45

piaffeprincess98
Mar. 30, 2007, 07:40 AM
Piaffeprincess98 r J/YR?

Still a bit wet behind the ears?:winkgrin: :lol:

??? Huh?

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 30, 2007, 09:33 AM
Well, I got the times for the CT on Sunday--it looks like I should be finishing up by around 2, so could conceivably be over to Morven by around 3:30! :)

(Which should be in time to see some X-country rides...)

They are now saying RAIN on Sunday (Argh!! :mad:), but hopefully it will be the "scattered light showers" that some forecasters are predicting, and not the "T-Storms" that others are...:sigh:

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 30, 2007, 10:35 AM
asterix, what is your cross country time on Sunday??

artienallie
Mar. 30, 2007, 10:56 AM
??? Huh?

I think Carol didn't realize you were young enough to ride J/YR. You do come across quite mature on the boards, take it as a complement! ;)

Janet
Mar. 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
asterix, what is your cross country time on Sunday??
Have they psoted cross country times? I could only find dressage times.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
BTW, I walked the Training course (and some of the Prelim) this afternoon; very inviting and straightforward, nothing trappy or difficult. :)

(Made me mad that I didn't enter...:sigh: My mare would have cruised around it...:( Hopefully Loudoun PC HT's weather will be good a month from now--the footing was actually dry--and the grass was "a bit crispy!" It could actually *use* some moisture; just not too much, thank you! :D)

They do have a Trakehner on the T course--it's the "penultimate" (second to last) fence! fairly simple as Trakehners go, but with a biggish ditch underneath; the ditch is dry, however...

asterix
Mar. 30, 2007, 08:18 PM
Dr D, as Janet said, we have been given ONLY dressage times. NO SJ, NO XC.
I'm a bit peeved as it makes it hard to even guess for mr. asterix what time I might be home on EITHER day....
sigh.
Thanks for the head's up on the course -- trakeheners, not my favorite, but we have never actually had a problem with one -- I think it's the classic "well, I don't like the way it looks" for the rider, but to P I think it's mostly just another log unless I really start telegraphing :winkgrin:
Hopefully we'll get just a bit of rain, and have lovely footing!

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 30, 2007, 09:36 PM
Dr D, as Janet said, we have been given ONLY
Hopefully we'll get just a bit of rain, and have lovely footing!

I'm still scarred from Southern Pines....dreading even the threat of rain (not sure my boots are dry YET)! So as long as it drizzles in the middle of the night, that would be fine by me!

Carol Ames
Mar. 30, 2007, 11:23 PM
think Carol didn't realize you were young enough to ride J/YR. You do come across quite mature on the boards, take it as a complement! ;)

Carol Ames
Mar. 31, 2007, 12:23 AM
Dr. . Doolittle Are you, too a native of fairfax County?:winkgrin: I heard this in a recent sermon. about someone missing a parish meeting, "of course being in Fairfax they scheduled 2 meetings for the same time and hoped to be at both! at the same time, and planned be at both; " you mean,this is not how the rest of t the world behaves?:lol:

piaffeprincess98
Mar. 31, 2007, 07:24 AM
I think Carol didn't realize you were young enough to ride J/YR. You do come across quite mature on the boards, take it as a complement! ;)

Oh, ok, I'd never heard that phrase before. I am 20 and my birthday is in November, so this is my last year as a YR.

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 31, 2007, 10:30 AM
Carol, :lol:

I seem to spend most of my time sitting in slow traffic on Rt. 50, cursing a blue streak at dump trucks and cement mixers! (And @#$%*$ yuppies who live in Loudoun County and are IN MY WAY when I'm trying to get to my barn or to a competition...I remember this area as being mostly farmland, and back in the 60's, there were NO traffic lights on Rt. 50 until you got to Middleburg, not to mention no developements outside of Fairfax...:sigh: Ah, the good old days! :p)

Carol Ames
Mar. 31, 2007, 07:51 PM
WE did our "dry run " today, took us just over an hour which means leaving my apartment at 5:30 :eek: This is when I remind my myself that I jumped. c. 22,000 fences while eventing, and, at last count had judged only 14 so,looks like I 'll be doing this for awhile yet.:winkgrin: The truck I am in is an old blue chevy with no bedcover so, my wheelchair is wrapped in an old shower curtain. Se you there!, Have a good ride!:yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 31, 2007, 08:53 PM
Just a quick update--I went out to watch the HT this afternoon and saw asterix and Janet --they both had *great* double clear stadiums! :D (Good job! The rails were coming down right and left for many others...:p Neither of them knew what their dressage score was, but whatever it was, they surely moved up after jumping ;))

Keep us posted, folks...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for "not much rain", and will try to come out again to watch X-country after my CT is over...STILL no X-country times?!? :confused:)

asterix
Mar. 31, 2007, 10:37 PM
Hey, Dr. D, it was really nice to see you there today! We rubbed fence 3 (and one other) pretty good, but it stayed in the cups -- was coming down right and left for folks, though. My pony finally got my head screwed on straight ("mom, this is MY job, stop fiddling and dropping!") by about the liverpool, and the last 4 fences were as sweet as it gets. :D

Hoping for a bit of rain to soften the ground, and good goes all around tomorrow!

We are slated for 2:20 but may end up a bit earlier depending on how things pan out -- unpredictable right now!

Dr. Doolittle
Mar. 31, 2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, I was definitely "holding my breath" at the rubs--but they stayed up for you! :D (and a good ride, IMHO! ;))

The latest weather forecast seems to indicate that the rain will hold off until later in the day--WooHoo!

I will try to come out and cheer for everyone tomorrow afternoon. :)

B Street Tango
Mar. 31, 2007, 11:27 PM
Dr D, how did I miss you? I watched Janet's round, too. And must have seen asterix if she went near Janet. A good friend of mine is in the Training III division and runs XC at 2:00. Hopefully the rain will hold off until LATE tomorrow! Good luck and a safe go tomorrow everyone!

asterix
Apr. 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
B Street, I saw Janet's round (I was thinking, OK, here's Janet, let's see how she rides the turns, she always has a thoughtful solution!), but I think it was a while before me. I was up but not warmed up. Dr. D was over between the portapottie and the judges' trucks.

Thanks for the nice words, Dr. D, but in fact I dropped him before every fence (I am trying to erase "go for the long spot" from my vocabulary and in my nerves I took my leg off at the base) until I kicked for the liverpool, and then he just hit the zone. When he gets up there in front of my leg it literally feels like you do nothing -- just steer, and he floats around. :D I don't deserve him!

I selfishly wish it would rain this morning and then stop, but oh well.

yellowbritches
Apr. 1, 2007, 06:25 PM
So, since within the last 15 minutes or so I've suddenly been bitten by the spring time "OMFG! I want to go to a show!!!!!!!" bug, I'm curious to know how everyone's weekend went. I had planned on trying to come out one day or the other this weekend (actually, more to go shopping with a client and for the kiwi horse), but between family visit yesterday (we had SEVEN dogs on the farm yesterday! it was the greatest :lol: ), and someone coming to look at a sale horse today, it just didn't work out. So, how was it?!?!?

I'm chomping at the bit for Redland. My horse jumped like a frickin superstar on Friday! :cool:

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 1, 2007, 06:41 PM
Well, I stopped by today after my CT was over (too late to see asterix's X-country, unfortunately :(), and ran into Janet and B Street Tango (and B Street's friend from Colorado--who placed 4th in her T division, and was one of the *few* without time faults! Her horse is an established Prelim horse, which helps :p)

I did get to see some of piaffeprincess's X-country--smoooth as silk! :)

Apparently the Training course was wheeled WAY too tight, since everyone who wheeled it (Janet, Gillian, B Street) got measurements between 100 and 200 meters longer than the distance that was listed! :eek: Upon looking at the score board, it was all too apparent; I have *never* seen so many T level competitors with time faults: the majority of T level riders--in ALL divisions--had time faults! (It was unusual to have someone come in under the time, and it was mostly Prelim horses or horses who bumped down a level--or who are about ready to go Prelim...) The course itself posed few problems otherwise--it was inviting, fairly easy questions, not maxed out--with rolling hills and flat galloping stretches...

I'm sure there were some "less than optimally fit" horses this early in the season--especially considering the late winter weather we had, but still!

Anyway, I'm sure everyone had a good time regardless (and I was WAY jealous!), and we SO lucked out on the weather; Whew! (I always waterproof *all* my tack when I have a competition where they predict rain, and it never fails to keep the rain at bay! So, you're welcome...:winkgrin:)

buffington180
Apr. 1, 2007, 07:25 PM
Any comments on some of the prelim dressage scores?

I didnt get to watch anyone go, but there was a LARGE number of tests in the upper 40s and quite a few in the 50s. Wondering if there was something 'spooky' or strange about the ring?

AM
Apr. 1, 2007, 07:41 PM
1. I'm glad it didn't rain and I did not have to use all the rain gear I carted out to Leesburg.
2. I'm ever so grateful that I had my hat, gloves, and insulated coveralls and that my fleece jacket fit over my coveralls. Eight hours on a windy hillside on a cool, cloudy day gets a bit long.
3. There are a lot of mares at the prelim and training levels and even some at intermediate as evidenced by numerous "Good Girls!!" around the course.
4. Some riders like to keep their horses informed of the next type of fence as in "corner", "up", etc.
5. You can tell when the junior/young rider division begins by the intensity and excess of color coordination in the horse and rider's apparel.
6. The shorter the rider the more they thought they had to duck coming through the grove of trees after the hanging log at training fence 15
7. A few prelim horses don't yet understand the corner question as they just cantered by three times.
8. Some riders actually have time to spectate during their ride. One called out a greeting by name to the photographer as she landed over fence 15.
9. There were a few riders who didn't remember to count and missed jumping a fence. I had to stop one and as soon as I told her she had missed fence five, she knew what she had done.

All the training riders who made it to fence 15 had pretty nice goes around the 15, 16, and 17 loop. I was at 16 without a radio and just far enough away to not hear most of what the announcer said. So I only knew I was seeing people I recognized. I was looking forward to seeing how Asterix on her big boy would negotiate the grove of trees around fence 15. However, not every rider followed in numerical order and I was out stomping divets and only looked up in time to see her coming my way. So I scooted into the woods to watch her clear the log oxer and the cabin at 17.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 1, 2007, 07:47 PM
AM, thanks!--what a great report! :D

(So nice to hear that other eventers are out there competing on mares; always a challenge to ride them, and never a dull moment...:p)

yellowbritches
Apr. 1, 2007, 07:56 PM
6. The shorter the rider the more they thought they had to duck coming through the grove of trees after the hanging log at training fence 15

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ishi
Apr. 1, 2007, 08:05 PM
asterix where you in the third Training division? I had someone who needed to go earlier, and went in front of me. I was 161.

I had a blast!!! It was my first HT in Virgina, and had a great time. Dressage was OK, stadium was great and so was cross country. So, we finished on our dressage score and ended up 4th. I had a wonderful time and a ton of fun. I also met Dr. Doolittle this afternoon too!

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 1, 2007, 08:12 PM
Ah, Ishi! :D

SO nice to meet other COTHers doing "our thing" ;)

Forgot to add--I saw S4Zeus, too--we had a nice chat! :)

(We were both bemoaning the fact that *we* hadn't entered the Morven HT, since the weather wound up being so good...:sigh: She's hoping to get into Loudoun, so maybe I'll see her there ;))

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 1, 2007, 09:54 PM
Anyone know who the photographer was? I forgot to check and wanted to get on the road as fast as I could when done.....donated my muck check to Morven;) (I did notice them at some of the fences and really hope the shot at fence 19 comes out well!)

Had a great round...left the rails all up and ran around x-c with ease but was a couple of seconds slow. It really must have been wheeled tight cause we were booking and normally I would be close to speed penalties with that pace but I was still happy for a nice smooth run. Glad it sounds like lot of folks had great runs!

B Street Tango
Apr. 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
bornfree, I know GRC photography was there and I think Brent Gamma was, too.

Congrats on the good run, Training WAS tight. Like Dr. D said, I only walked one line wide (after the tire jump, I went around the tree line to the right instead of the first track that was the sharper left) and came up 190 yards over. My friend that was actually riding the course usually has to worry about time penalties but not today.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 1, 2007, 10:15 PM
bornfree, I know GRC photography was there and I think Brent Gamma was, too.

Congrats on the good run, Training WAS tight. Like Dr. D said, I only walked one line wide (after the tire jump, I went around the tree line to the right instead of the first track that was the sharper left) and came up 190 yards over. My friend that was actually riding the course usually has to worry about time penalties but not today.

Thanks....It must have been very tight. I did make the tighter turn after the tire to 15 and came up along the treeline to 15 (I saw a photographer at that fence too...that may be a nice picture as well)...didn't Duck after 15 but was slightly concerned about hitting a tree (there and at the finish). I'm sure that my mare would go around the trees but she doesn't always account for my knees :D Fun course though! Prelim look nice as well. I didn't walk it all but quite a bit.

Janet
Apr. 1, 2007, 11:42 PM
6. The shorter the rider the more they thought they had to duck coming through the grove of trees after the hanging log at training fence 15 Duck? Grove of trees? I rode 15 "left to right", passing to the right of the main tree, giving a straight line ot 16, and I don't remember having to duck at all. (Of course I am on a short horse, so maybe that is why.)

S4zeus
Apr. 2, 2007, 12:03 AM
What a gorgeous day. I am so jealous that I didn't enter there. It was a nice course and it all seemed to ride well. It was good to see everyone around. Good to talk to Dr. D. and I got to watch Janet's and Gillian's xcountry goes. Congrats to everyone who competed.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 2, 2007, 06:55 AM
I did get to see some of piaffeprincess's X-country--smoooth as silk! :)

Apparently the Training course was wheeled WAY too tight, since everyone who wheeled it (Janet, Gillian, B Street) got measurements between 100 and 200 meters longer than the distance that was listed! :eek: Upon looking at the score board, it was all too apparent; I have *never* seen so many T level competitors with time faults: the majority of T level riders--in ALL divisions--had time faults! (It was unusual to have someone come in under the time, and it was mostly Prelim horses or horses who bumped down a level--or who are about ready to go Prelim...) The course itself posed few problems otherwise--it was inviting, fairly easy questions, not maxed out--with rolling hills and flat galloping stretches...
I am glad you said that, because I was 45 seconds over the time which is unacceptable to me the perfectionist! I have never had time faults at training XC. If anything, my trainer told me to go easy because Sam is so fit now and we didn't want him thinking prelim until Loudon. Therefore, I held him back alot, he did not need prelim speed over some of those practically novice sized fences. I must have held back a little too long I guess.

In my J/YR T 1 division, only 2 did not have time faults. I would have won if I had gone clear, but I ended up 5th. Oh well, onwards and upwards to prelim. I do agree that the course was on the tiny side. The only thing that looked acceptable training to me was the skinny.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 2, 2007, 07:20 AM
Oh, one another comment, if the course was wheeled wrong, don't competitors usually tell the organizers and the optimum time is changed?

toeknee
Apr. 2, 2007, 08:23 AM
time was def tight. we had a fast round though, and if my horse didnt have a small mental breakdown at the start box(costing us prob 10 seconds) i *think* we would have made it. but i didnt stick around to see just how many time faults i had...

we had a great weekend though with lots of room for improvement, a good way to start off the season. and we couldnt have asked for better weather in march/april!

ps thanks to all of you who volunteered!

mythical84
Apr. 2, 2007, 08:30 AM
I was there on Saturday helping out nowoncourse and asterix. Nowoncourse's dressage made me chuckle because Jack looked to be in a bit of shock at being in a dressage arena again and kind of looked around in the stretchy circle and free walk. But he had beautiful canter lengthenings, and ended up 9th after dressage. Asterix's big boy was such a pro all day. And in between phases the two ponies could be found dozing at the trailer.

I have to say I was impressed with the dressage rides that I saw ... well at least what I was seeing in the warm-up. There was not one horse that looked out of place and everyone was shining.

Stadium warm-up was a bit chaotic when I was there, but the rounds that I saw looked good, and the mistakes that I did see looked to be more early season jitters than people not belonging at the level.

In anycase, I think this will be my goal for next spring. :)

AM
Apr. 2, 2007, 09:49 AM
Brant Gamma was the only photographer at Training 15.

asterix
Apr. 2, 2007, 09:54 AM
OK, let's see...
Ishi, that WAS me stuck in before you -- nowoncourse had to get back to Waredaca to catch her ride to the ICP course 5 hours away, and I was HER ride back, so she convinced the stewards to sneak us in a bit early. Glad you had a good go!!!

Janet, you are right, after 15 it was not necessary to duck, but going TO 15 lining up for that left-to-right it most definitely WAS a possibility...if you are 5'7" on a 17.1 h horse...I was warming up with you and I think all together we were about 2 feet taller than you :D

but, AM, I don't even remember if we ducked, because Piko was very much :eek: :eek: :eek: at the tires at 14, and we CRAWLED over it (gotta love those german horses -- if you really, really insist, they obey :D ), and I was very conservative and packaged coming to 15 just to make sure we didn't have a silly aftershock. So I was pretty focussed on that.

And can I just say how happy y'all are making me about the time? I didn't ride for time, since as our first time out I didn't want to stress his fitness, we haven't had much chance to gallop (which the big boy actually needs to practice), AND he felt the need to trot the water (what is this?? where am I going???), not to mention the slomo tire jump:lol: ...so I wouldn't have been shocked if we'd been a _bit_ over time -- I didn't check my watch at all as I didn't want to be tempted to press him beyond his energy (turns out, no problem there -- I always assume he's less fit than he is since he's so laidback)...but we were WAY over time. I was a little bummed.

But it's all ok now! We made time no problem at 450 and 470 last year -- it's something I have to think about on this horse, but I was thinking at this rate they'd need to send out a search party when we move up to prelim...

Fun start to the year!

FrittSkritt
Apr. 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
Let's just say I completely forgot that even on a relatively mild and partially cloudy day in March, I can still get mad sunburn on my face. ;) I ended up being a steward for dressage ring #3 and watched some really nice rides... Mara Dean's on Nicki Henley being one of them. :D Everyone looked great, as usual, and reminded me to tell my hothead horse that "no, throwing your head up in the air is NOT supposed to happen in a canter transition!" :winkgrin:

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 2, 2007, 10:22 AM
I am glad you said that, because I was 45 seconds over the time which is unacceptable to me the perfectionist! I have never had time faults at training XC. If anything, my trainer told me to go easy because Sam is so fit now and we didn't want him thinking prelim until Loudon. Therefore, I held him back alot, he did not need prelim speed over some of those practically novice sized fences. I must have held back a little too long I guess.

In my J/YR T 1 division, only 2 did not have time faults. I would have won if I had gone clear, but I ended up 5th. Oh well, onwards and upwards to prelim. I do agree that the course was on the tiny side. The only thing that looked acceptable training to me was the skinny.

Glad you thought it was tiny...means you are probably ready for Prelim. My horse skipped around it easliy and was only a couple of second over the time but I thought it was a good basic Training. Some small fences, some not small fences, some good turning questions etc. There were quite a few stops (the first fence and the tires seemed to get a few) and other issues. The ditch sharp turn to the roll top was a nice training question but forgiving....as was the LONG gallop to a double down bank, down the hill (toward stabling!) to a sharp left to the Trakahneur. I thought the course had a nice flow and rode well for a horse ready for Prelim but also set up to be a good course for those just moving up or having a first run of the season. It is Training level...it is supposed to be relatively easy and only ask a few questions.

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 10:35 AM
Oh, one another comment, if the course was wheeled wrong, don't competitors usually tell the organizers and the optimum time is changed?
Because 2400 is the maximum permitted at Training.

Any time you see the course listed as the maximum permitted for the level- that is your clue that you need to measure the course to find out the distance you plan to ride, instead of the distance of the track the course designer measured in order to "make it legal".

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 10:49 AM
I have to say I was impressed with the dressage rides that I saw ... well at least what I was seeing in the warm-up. There was not one horse that looked out of place and everyone was shining.
You must not have seen us! 158, 1:15 in ring 3 (second horse after lunch)

The Training test does NOT include
trot- halt at A- kick out behind - jig to K.

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 11:03 AM
I calculate that you needed to be travelling at least 475 mpm to make the time.

NeverTime
Apr. 2, 2007, 11:16 AM
Had lots of fun this weekend. My pony was very good for his dressage test and -- because "relaxed, supple, round" was the mantra of the weekend -- VERY slow around both jumping courses. (We were jumping clean but still almost got overtaken by the next rider on XC :eek: Perhaps we took "relaxed" a little too far...)
My biggest question came from my dressage test: Where it describes the horse at the top of the test, the scribe wrote "dusty bay." He is brown but he's got a growing-out body clip that's turned him a rather unspectacular dunnish-brownish-speckled shade. Is "dusty bay" a term for that, like "dirty blonde" is for people, or did the judge really think my horse was bay and very dusty?!?! I truly hope it was the former, otherwise, I'm going to develop a complex about his current coloring.:lol:

JustJump250
Apr. 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
Asterix-I rode right before you I think. I was 160, on the chestnut wearing green. I heard you telling the steward about your long ride back-I'd be asking to go earlier too!

I was pretty happy with our XC go-we definitly have some rough edges to smooth out, but the pony was a superstar and came off course still breathing fire and ready for more. But, we were slow too, having had a good part of the winter off for random mystery illnesses/soundess issues/etc. Glad the rain held off!

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 12:19 PM
Janet, you are right, after 15 it was not necessary to duck, but going TO 15 lining up for that left-to-right it most definitely WAS a possibility...if you are 5'7" on a 17.1 h horse...I was warming up with you and I think all together we were about 2 feet taller than you :D
Probably reallly only ONE foot, but it definitely makes a difference.

I heard someone talkiing about needing to go early, but I did not realize it was you. (I was 158)

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
Is "dusty bay" a term for that, like "dirty blonde" is for people, or did the judge really think my horse was bay and very dusty?!?! I truly hope it was the former, otherwise, I'm going to develop a complex about his current coloring.:lol:

Not sure what they meant...but I thought your boy looked beautiful. I meant to come find you on Sunday but wasn't feeling very good and needed to make a run to Walmart for drugs ;) I figured you were long gone by the time I was done!

Glad your man was a star!

mythical84
Apr. 2, 2007, 12:35 PM
Janet -- I don't think I made it down to dressage warm-up until after your test, so I missed that. That sounds like a dressage test that I rode w/ my mare one time. It went something like this ... canter depart ... stop, spin, 1/2 rear, continue sideways.

I ride Gibson
Apr. 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know when the results will be on the Morven Park webpage?

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 12:47 PM
You must not have seen us! 158, 1:15 in ring 3 (second horse after lunch)

The Training test does NOT include
trot- halt at A- kick out behind - jig to K. We have a diagnosis.

This weeknd, Tim came to the event with me (if you saw signs about hypnosis to overcome show nerves- those were his), and videotaped my dressage and Show jumping.

Since the vet was going to Gillian's barn this morning, I leant her the video camera, and asked her to show it to the vet. Based on the video, added to the fact that she DEFINITLEY went off her feed starting Saturday evening, he said "classic signs of the beginning of an ulcer". She is to be on Papaya and sucralfate (sp?) for 5 days, then rasssess.

asterix
Apr. 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
Wow. Speedy catch on the diagnosis! tell us what happens later this week.

Janet, you probably heard my barnmate nowoncourse asking about going early -- technically it was her time constraint, I was just the horse chauffeur. We both felt sort of bad trying to squeeze in early, so I let her take the heat and actually ask :winkgrin:

Can you elaborate a bit on the "if it's posted as the max distance, that's a clue" theory -- I had never heard that. I admit that I thought wheeling a Training course was a bit overkill, but in this case, it would at least have given me a sense of what to expect.

So, is what you are saying that the course, as ridden (in other words, assuming you cannot jump the trakhener at a steep angle, but need to make a straight line and turn after the steps, etc.), was "over the limit," so they just put down the max distance and left us to fend for ourselves? And that this is typically the case when the max distance is posted? (ok, color me naive...) Why, in this case, wouldn't they at least have made the speed 470, so we would know we really had to put the pedal down?

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 03:33 PM
Can you elaborate a bit on the "if it's posted as the max distance, that's a clue" theory -- I had never heard that. I admit that I thought wheeling a Training course was a bit overkill, but in this case, it would at least have given me a sense of what to expect.

So, is what you are saying that the course, as ridden (in other words, assuming you cannot jump the trakhener at a steep angle, but need to make a straight line and turn after the steps, etc.), was "over the limit," so they just put down the max distance and left us to fend for ourselves? And that this is typically the case when the max distance is posted? (ok, color me naive...) Why, in this case, wouldn't they at least have made the speed 470, so we would know we really had to put the pedal down?

If you measure any particular track, without trying to make a specific distance, only 1 out of 100 times will the distance end in "00". So any time I see a distance ending in "00" I am suspicious that they measured it "to come out to" a specific distance.

If the course designer / TD wheels the track they expect the typical rider to take, and comes out to 2500 meters, they really only have a couple of choices-
A- Move start or finish, or take a fence out
B- Remeasure it taking tighter lines to come out under 2400 m.

B is clearly simpler.

But once you have measured the tighter line that makes it a legal course (less than or = 2400), that tighter line is the one you have to use to calculate the optimum time. The officially measured distance, the offiically stated speed, and the official optimum time have a fixed mathematical relationship. You can't say that "the official distance is 2400 m, and the official speed is 450, but because we menasured it tight, the optimum time is 5:40 instead of 5:20".

But I HAVE also seen the other kind of error- a course listed at 2400 that I measured at 2200, and, even though I knew it was "short", I came close to getting speed faults.

ridingdex
Apr. 2, 2007, 04:25 PM
I thought it was odd too that there were sooooo many time faults on XC at TR. I never saw a map with times or length but I truly didn't look hard, just asked the guy at the start box for the OT. Was it run at 450 or 470?

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 04:31 PM
I thought it was odd too that there were sooooo many time faults on XC at TR. I never saw a map with times or length but I truly didn't look hard, just asked the guy at the start box for the OT. Was it run at 450 or 470?

There was a handout on the table by the scores, and also on the start box.

It was nominally run at 450. In other words 2400 m at 450 mpm gives you 5 min 20 sec.

But to run the track _I_ wheeled (as opposed to the track the officials wheeled) in 5 min 20 sec, you would have to go 475 mpm.

FWIW, Gillian was the ONLY one in her division without time penalties, and that included Jan Byyny and Sharon White.

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 2, 2007, 04:42 PM
DAMN! :eek:

My student and I will be wheeling the Loudoun course, for sure! :D

asterix
Apr. 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hmm. Food for thought.

But, do they not have the option of upping the speed at that point? I understand that there is a fixed mathematical relationship between distance, speed, and time (although math-challenged, I'm up on that part :D ), but if we are saying that these numbers:
2400 m
420 mpm
5:20 mins
do not in fact map to reality, because #1 is wrong, why not change #2 to closer to "correct" (as you said, 475, so call it 470 since that is a legal speed), so that you are less stuck in fantasy land?

I'm not all that exercised about it, since it was a good lesson for me, and I was not trying for time anyway, but I am curious...

Janet
Apr. 2, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hmm. Food for thought.

But, do they not have the option of upping the speed at that point? I understand that there is a fixed mathematical relationship between distance, speed, and time (although math-challenged, I'm up on that part :D ), but if we are saying that these numbers:
2400 m
420 mpm
5:20 mins
do not in fact map to reality, because #1 is wrong, why not change #2 to closer to "correct" (as you said, 475, so call it 470 since that is a legal speed), so that you are less stuck in fantasy land?

I'm not all that exercised about it, since it was a good lesson for me, and I was not trying for time anyway, but I am curious... But if they upped the official speed to 470, then they would have to change the OPTIMUM TIME to 5 minutes and 7 seconds (2400 / 470), which wouldn't help anything.

asterix
Apr. 3, 2007, 10:00 AM
er, ok, I guess I should retract the part about understanding distance, speed, and time :lol:
I guess I was thinking that if they upped the speed but left the time, it might have helped the riders, but then the "math" wouldn't come out right and it would be obvious that the distance was wrong. So for those of us who don't DO the math :winkgrin: , we would have gone for 470 in 5:20, and been closer to making time...
but I see that this is just substituting one fantasy for another.

I would like to see the tighter line that was wheeled -- was this reasonable, if aggressive, for the average training horse? (I realize this is a theoretical question at this point)

Janet
Apr. 3, 2007, 10:46 AM
I would like to see the tighter line that was wheeled -- was this reasonable, if aggressive, for the average training horse? (I realize this is a theoretical question at this point) You could always ask the TD how tightly she wheeled it.

asterix
Apr. 3, 2007, 10:52 AM
oh, not to worry, I plan to :D

toeknee
Apr. 3, 2007, 01:10 PM
i wish the results were up...i wanna see how i ended up placing!

_GiGI_
Apr. 3, 2007, 02:03 PM
Results are up!!!

toeknee
Apr. 3, 2007, 02:15 PM
gigi the only results i see are 2006....am i over looking them?

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 3, 2007, 02:42 PM
gigi the only results i see are 2006....am i over looking them?

Go to the home page and click on equestrian center. The results link is in a big yellow box at the top of that page.

Does anyone know if they mail ribbons....all the time penalties in the trainning divisions worked in my favor :D

toeknee
Apr. 3, 2007, 03:04 PM
thanks...i guess my page just wasnt refreshed:)

JustJump250
Apr. 3, 2007, 03:15 PM
I see Brant Gamma is getting their pictures up pretty quick-but I know GRC took a ton! I wonder how long until they go up...

alliemare
Apr. 3, 2007, 04:10 PM
Has anyone here ever been judged by Brian Ross?

He was the judge in arena 1, more specifically, for the JR/YR prelim division. I personally thought he scored my test maybe a little high, but I was still happy with the score. A few of my friends, however, had VERY high scores (in the low or mid 50 range) and were completely shocked. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to watch their rides, so have no idea if their scores were true representations of the rides, but I cant believe they were in the 50s! Is he known for being hard?

This was my first time competing at morven. It is a very nice place! My little mare was a super star all weekend. She has been jumping so well lately! Unfortunately for me, I had a minor lapse in brain-functioning early on the XC which resulted in the big "E" at that white table. Still kicking myself for being such an idiot! Assuming the rest of the XC jumped as well as the first half, we would have finished second! Ahhhh! Oh well... off to plantation to try and redeem myself. ;)

I know the organizers said there was a schooling day for volunteers, but do they allow schooling for anyone else? It would be amazing if I could go back and at least school over the part of the course that I never made it to, lol...

Janet
Apr. 3, 2007, 04:30 PM

He was the judge in arena 1, more specifically, for the JR/YR prelim division. I personally thought he scored my test maybe a little high, but I was still happy with the score. A few of my friends, however, had VERY high scores (in the low or mid 50 range) and were completely shocked. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to watch their rides, so have no idea if their scores were true representations of the rides, but I cant believe they were in the 50s! Is he known for being hard?
Not "hard" per se. But he cares a lot about relaxation. If your horse is tense, it is harder to get a good score with him than it is with some other judges. This seems to be true all the way from BN to A.

But if your horse is relaxed and through, as well as correct in other ways, he can give some very good scores.

Janet
Apr. 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
I see Brant Gamma is getting their pictures up pretty quick-but I know GRC took a ton! I wonder how long until they go up...
Where are Brant's pictures?

Divasgroom
Apr. 3, 2007, 04:33 PM
Brant posts at www.brantgamma.com

Janet
Apr. 3, 2007, 04:46 PM
The posted results for JY T 1 don't look right. From 4th down they don't make sense.

S4zeus
Apr. 3, 2007, 11:02 PM
Just glancing through Brant Gamma's pictures, I would LOVE to take home Jan Bynny's little Bay guy. What a jump!

http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/bynnyjanmp/img_554445

or is it Amy Ruth Borun??

http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/borunamyruthmp/img_554425

B Street Tango
Apr. 4, 2007, 12:23 AM
S4zeus, I was looking/drooling over that SAME picture. What a delicious horse!

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 4, 2007, 07:05 AM

This was my first time competing at morven. It is a very nice place! My little mare was a super star all weekend. She has been jumping so well lately! Unfortunately for me, I had a minor lapse in brain-functioning early on the XC which resulted in the big "E" at that white table. Still kicking myself for being such an idiot! Assuming the rest of the XC jumped as well as the first half, we would have finished second! Ahhhh! Oh well... off to plantation to try and redeem myself. ;)

I know the organizers said there was a schooling day for volunteers, but do they allow schooling for anyone else? It would be amazing if I could go back and at least school over the part of the course that I never made it to, lol...

My trainer is a dressage judge, going for her large R as we speak. She told me Brian is an international judge and might be tough, but when I read her my range of scores, she was a little miffed. I got a few 8's and then a 4. She said he tries to use the scale when he judges. When she gets back I can try to eplain this more.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 4, 2007, 07:08 AM
The posted results for JY T 1 don't look right. From 4th down they don't make sense.

Yeah, you're right because I got fifth....

FrittSkritt
Apr. 4, 2007, 09:41 AM
Just glancing through Brant Gamma's pictures, I would LOVE to take home Jan Bynny's little Bay guy. What a jump!

http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/bynnyjanmp/img_554445

or is it Amy Ruth Borun??

http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/borunamyruthmp/img_554425

I think it's Amy Ruth Borun, Jan's training horse didn't have a blaze.

nowoncourse
Apr. 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
Well I just got back from Averett University which I thought was in VA but the equestrian center where the ICP workshop was actually in NC!

Anyway, it took us 7 1/2 hrs to get there Sun night! I can't thank all the volunteers, stewards, and competitors enough that let asterix and I ride xc early on Sun! If we went at our scheduled ride times I would have rolled into NC at around 1:30am Mon morning.

Thanks again! Eventers are so awesome and supportive!!!!

fergie
Apr. 4, 2007, 11:13 PM
As for the judging "style"... those who can, compete, and those who can't - compete for a couple years and then go on to judge those "who can" and speak with a fake British accent (as they're not even from England....)!!! Some get their jollies from busting ba**s by giving out crappy scores.

Janet
Apr. 4, 2007, 11:23 PM
As for the judging "style"... those who can, compete, and those who can't - compete for a couple years and then go on to judge those "who can" and speak with a fake British accent (as they're not even from England....)!!! Some get their jollies from busting ba**s by giving out crappy scores.
Who are you saying is "not even from England"?

I do not know a single judge (from any country, with any accent- fake or real) who enjoys giving out bad scores.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 5, 2007, 07:33 AM
I think it's Amy Ruth Borun, Jan's training horse didn't have a blaze.

It's really funny you should mention her. We bought Sam from Amy a few years ago. She had taken him through advanced. My dad had a nice chat with her at the show. Her guy now is OTT I think.

Oh, Brandt Gamma has a nice photo of me here- http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/p/berrethlindsaymp/img_570910

Is anyone else up there?

asterix
Apr. 5, 2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I must be the cursed photo person. Not a single pic so far on either photogs website. Oh well.
I just looked at the results -- those time penalties at T are very unusual!!! Don't feel so bad, although I'm hoping my coach doesn't notice that if I had NOT gotten time (ok, and if everyone else had kept their time faults, so how likely is that :lol: 15 people on TBs go too slow and I, warmblood girl, make time/ In my dreams.)I would have tied for first. I'm already in the doghouse for not braiding for dressage. Apparently nothing else was going wrong and instead of, you know, officiating, she had time to inspect my turnout from afar.
:D

toeknee
Apr. 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
ha asterix! i was thinking the same thing, not one picture of me on brantgamma. oh well, if he was the guy taking pictures at the steps he prob did me a favor...my reins kinda got stuck on my breastplate...eekkk not pretty:)

B Street Tango
Apr. 5, 2007, 08:38 AM
Hey asterix, I think I got a couple of pics of you at 3 and 4, I was getting ready for Ishi to come through so snapped a couple of the rider in front of her. They aren't pro quality, but I'd be happy to email them to you if you'd like. Just PM with your email addy.

S4zeus
Apr. 5, 2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I must be the cursed photo person. Not a single pic so far on either photogs website. Oh well.
I... time to inspect my turnout from afar.

I would keep looking, there weren't that many pictures the other night and last night I looked and 5 or more people that I know finally had pictures up.

asterix
Apr. 5, 2007, 09:27 AM
This BB is great! Already been PT'ed re: prof photos. Thanks, B Street, will do.
Toeknee, so far none of the pics of riders I've seen have included the steps, so not to worry :D
I always manage to notice a photog right as I am in midair on a funny-looking fence...guess it's better than knowing as you ride up to it that it's a "picture" fence...

DustInTime04
Apr. 5, 2007, 09:45 AM
woops, a little late writing in about my weekend.. haha.

so morven was my first event of the year, and that was never in the plan. :/ that considering i had a few combined tests lined up but they got cancelled, what can ya do? i didnt really know how it would work out but everything went pretty well. dressage was alright-- not a lot to complain about but i could have pulled off a lot better of a test. showjumping was kinda rough in parts, but i just need to start schooling some more courses. the last time i had done a real course before this past weekend was at VA horse trials. cross country the next day was the best phase of the weekend... dusty was confident and jumping great. i didnt push too much for time and was trying to get him to listen a little better considering he was a powerhouse. i was so proud of him, he didn't act like he has a break during the winter at all! anyways. over all good first event... i'm just verrry glad to be back out!

FrittSkritt
Apr. 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
Scoring looks a little wonky, there's an intermediate rider there listed as having been eliminated on XC, but I'm pretty sure it should have been a MR as the horse flipped and landed on its side.. :confused:

steves
Apr. 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
I found this post WAY OUT OF LINE
IF you are referring to Brian Ross I think you owe an apology. You don't get asked to judge the top competitions in the World over and over again if you don't know how to judge. Believe me, the other officals, and more importantly, the competitors would complain. I have copied his CV below. Add to this he has judged just about every CCI**** in the world. And I just found out that he is competing in a 50 mile competitive trail ride this Monday! I meant to ask what your credentials were that you are able to make this judgement.
Born in England, hunted and rode in Gymkhanas before coming to U.S. in 1965 (sorry but it is not a fake British accent)
Instructor at Potomac Horse Center on and off between 1965 and 1976
Rode three years with the Royal Lipizzan Stallion Show 1972 to 1974
Established a dressage/eventing training business in Southern Pines, N.C. in 1976
Competed through Intermediate eventing and Intermediaire dressage
Earned Dressage judges license in 1978. Currently hold USEF licenses in Dressage (S), Eventing Judge(R), Technical Delegate (R), and Course Designer (r). FEI license as an Eventing Judge (O), and Technical Delegate (C).
Officiating experience includes in Eventing the Sydney Olympic Games (2000), Pan American Games (2003), Central American Games (2002), (2006) World Equestrian Games , also officiated in Brazil, Japan, Ireland, England, Australia, Canada, Mexico and El Salvador.

fergie
Apr. 5, 2007, 12:23 PM
"Competed through Intermediate eventing .... blah blah blah...."
That's right, because he couldn't hang with the big boys and go past intermediate!

"Officiating experience includes in Eventing the Sydney Olympic Games (2000), Pan American Games (2003), ... blah, blah, blah"
and yet still a wanker and a hard ass at a little horse trial in Morven Park!

I found this post WAY OUT OF LINE
IF you are referring to Brian Ross I think you owe an apology. .
So what! It's what I think based on my experiences with the weenie. Yeah, right apologize. Do you think he's reading this dribble - oh, no, I forgot - he's too busy "officiating" whatever THAT means....

Dr. Doolittle
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
Ouch! :eek:

Edited to add: I've only been judged by Mr. Ross once, but found him fair, kind, and reasonable...(With some dressage judges, one has to take their scores with a grain of salt, but I felt as though the scores/comments I received were deserved and on the money, and I came away from it feeling as though he was a gentleman...I can't believe I was somehow off the mark with my impressions ;))

Caroline Weber
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:08 PM
That's right, because he couldn't hang with the big boys and go past intermediate!

"Officiating experience includes in Eventing the Sydney Olympic Games (2000), Pan American Games (2003), ... blah, blah, blah"

So what! It's what I think based on my experiences with the weenie. Yeah, right, should I apologize to Brian, himself? Do you think he's reading this dribble - oh, no, I forgot - he's too busy "officiating" whatever THAT means....

My trainer hasn't competed Advanced...I guess that's why she was asked to judge the dressage at the 2008 Olympics.

Before you complain about well-regarded officials (well, well-regarded by most but you, clearly), go through the training it takes to become an official at that level. It is not easy. The judges don't give out crappy scores for kicks. They judge what is in front of them as accurately as possible and give comments in the hopes that it will help the competitors improve.

Janet
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'm already in the doghouse for not braiding for dressage. Apparently nothing else was going wrong and instead of, you know, officiating, she had time to inspect my turnout from afar.
Oh good. I was afraid I was the only one that didn't braid.

asterix
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
OK, kinda scary detour on the thread there...

trying to redirect by saying
1) THANK YOU to Brant Gamma for responding so fast to my,er, whining. Although it doesn't make for the most stunning pic in the world, I'm glad to see, all things considered, that my horse looks positively lackadaiscal over the trakhener.

2)Er, toeknee, after what I said, never mind. The only person I saw with actual pics of the steps down is...me! So perhaps your graceful moment will be caught as well. I'm glad because down banks are my downfall, as it were, so I can at least look at what's going wrong (a lot!) in that sequence....

3) Janet, I am an inveterate nonbraider, mainly because I stink at it and my horse's mane is so thin it doesn't even look that great when we do it...but in this case, it was sheer economics -- after the health certificate, the 2 grounds fees (!!), AND the rather expensive entry, I couldn't afford braiding (and he looks WORSE when I do it myself). I can tell you now how excited I was to discover that most of the top 15 or so coming out to SJ on the last day of AECs were not braided (phew, I said! Don't worry, we WERE braided for dressage). I didn't get any trainer comments on that one (although she was in the judges' stand), but I expect she was giving me a pass since we managed to have a good go.

Row Wisco, Row!
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:23 PM

Wow, personal beef much? :eek:

I'm guessing you didn't win the dressage this (or some other) weekend :winkgrin:

In addition, I wouldn't call Morven a "little" horse trials

eventgroupie2
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
In addition to being a completely fair and honest judge, well respected all around the world, I might add.... Brian and his wife, Penny, are two of the most special people I have ever met. They are responsible for all the eventing around Lexington, VA. Under their leadership, our organizing committee hosts two CCI*'s (with steeplechase) each year, several CCI**'s, two starter horse trials, and compete over 500 horses through our fall and spring horse trials each year. We are hosting the NAYRC this summer for the third time, and were asked to take over the old Radnor event. We have hosted the Adult Chronicle Team Championships numerous times. None of this would happen without Brian and Penny. Yes, you do owe him an apology. He and Penny have spent their lives advancing the sport of eventing.

Dressage62
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:36 PM

OUCH!
Dressage will always have subjective judging...so, if you'd like to become a licensed official who scores high, I'd appreciate it very much.

toeknee
Apr. 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
i would also like to say thanks to brant gamma for pming me as well...

and asterix they did catch me going down the steps too, i am guessing we were the two newest picture additions!, but luckly with the picture i can at least see exactly how my reins were caught in my breastplate, haha and Unfortunately it just looks like i dont know how to let go of my horses mouth if you dont look closely enough!

Janet
Apr. 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
Where are you finding the Training picture (down steps)? All I find on GRC is up through #61. And the only picture on Brant's site is the Trak.

Carol Ames
Apr. 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
Gigi came over and introduced ;) herself, it's so nice to be able to put faces to names:yes: , her little entourage of kids were wide eyed and happy ,looking;) , I wonder how many will set Morven Park as a course they would like to ride?

Janet
Apr. 5, 2007, 03:11 PM
Carol,
Which fence were yiu on?

nowoncourse
Apr. 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
Well I actually fell off at the trakhener and would love to see the pics if either site has any! Heehee.... I got all caught up in how bold my guy was going that I just leaned at the jump instead of sitting and waiting... stupid mistake!

Asterix - I love your steps pics.... look at your nice position! And might I say what a beautifully clip job ;-)

Janet
Apr. 5, 2007, 05:22 PM
Asterix - I love your steps pics.... look at your nice position! And might I say what a beautifully clip job ;-) WHERE are the steps pictures? I am still looing and not finding anything.

I didn't SEE anything, but I HEARD the shutter as I was going down the steps.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
WHERE are the steps pictures? I am still looing and not finding anything.

I didn't SEE anything, but I HEARD the shutter as I was going down the steps.

on the last page I saw shots of someone going down the steps...but currently the only picture I have is of 15. I think they are still posting a bunch. I also saw that GRC is up to 140...of course my number was higher. I'm sure they will post everything in time!

asterix
Apr. 6, 2007, 08:47 AM
Ok, Ok, Janet, look for me on the last page of Brant Gamma, Nancy Seybold (I'm after the W's ). Also the next one, who I'm guessing is toeknee:D
THere are also some Training pics of fence 15 for some folks.

Janet
Apr. 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
Got it. Thanks

Invested1
Apr. 6, 2007, 09:01 AM
I'd love for people to post their numbers---I like putting faces (and horses) with names! :D

brantgamma
Apr. 6, 2007, 09:25 AM

So what! It's what I think based on my experiences with the weenie. Yeah, right, should I apologize to Brian, himself? Do you think he's reading this dribble - oh, no, I forgot - he's too busy "officiating" whatever THAT means....

:mad: :mad: This is my first time ever in a forum or chat room, but after a phone call telling me about this rider's comments concerning Brian Ross, I felt I must respond. (not being a computer whiz, it has taken me since last night just to figure out how to log in) I read these words with shock and outrage. Not only does this comment break several rules of the agreement you must sign just to voice your opinion on this forum, it is blatantly incorrect in it's facts of a very well respected member of the eventing world.

I am using my real name because I feel so strongly about this rider's statements and want to fully stand behind my response.

I have known Brian Ross since he was a very well respected instructor for the Horsemaster Courses at the famed Potomac Horse Center in the early 70's. (yes, I am no spring chicken) I have watched through the years as he has grown into one of the most positive and respected members of the eventing community, both here and abroad. The contribution both he and his wife Penny have made to the eventing world is immeasurable, not the least of which is their hard work, dedication and personal financial support to make the NAYRC a huge success the last 2 years at the Va. Horse Center.

He has judged me many times at many levels over the years, and though I may not have always gotten the high scores we all strive for, I have always felt every score was fair. If I have questioned a score or movement, he has always taken the time to explain his reasoning, and I have become a better rider for his comments.

I spent all weekend at Morven as one of the photographers, and I can tell you that Brian's dedication does not end when the last dressage ride is done - he spent ALL day Sunday traveling from jump to jump on all courses, checking how they were riding and how each course was being handled by horses and riders.

We are all certainly entitled to our opinion, things are not ever going to be perfect in any horse sport, and we will always wish we had scored or ridden better, but to personally attack someone who makes such an effort to make things better is in my opinion quite unfair.

LisaB
Apr. 6, 2007, 09:36 AM
I finally read some of this thread.
And fergi, YOU STINK. Talk about nastiness!
Waah, I got a crappy dr score.
Waah, I must complain about the JUDGE
Waah, waah, waah.
And you better believe he's reading this thread! I'll send it to him!
If you've ever done a fix-a-test with him, you'd realize he's asking for absolute correctness. And he's GOOD!!!
And gee, he gives me the scores I deserve. Some good, some bad. But he's always been right on the mark.
And he's also a friend. So I take this personally.
Sorry, Brant. The damned trolls have been coming out of the woodwork lately and I don't know why.
GO BACK UNDER THE BRIDGE fergi!

asterix
Apr. 6, 2007, 09:47 AM
Brant, this BB is actually a great place, tons of support, good advice, and lots of people who love eventing. Please stay (and if you want, you can create another "identity" so we don't all hound you about the great photos you take -- one of us can talk you through that if you need help!), and become a part of what is a great community 99.9% of the time.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 6, 2007, 10:25 AM
We are all certainly entitled to our opinion, things are not ever going to be perfect in any horse sport, and we will always wish we had scored or ridden better, but to personally attack someone who makes such an effort to make things better is in my opinion quite unfair.

Well said. Some people just get up on the wrong side of the bed. Most of us just ignore the real personal attacks that some people post....what ever their motivation. It is often not worth the effort to respond. (you should see the threads that get started when talking about Darren);)

Your photos are great by the way.

flyingchange
Apr. 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
I rode one of my horse's worst dressage tests in front of Mr. Ross last summer - the test was, in my mind, so bad that half way into it I was worried that I might not be allowed to continue on to the jumping phases of the competition. Horse entered the ring with his head straight in the air and back harder than any 2x4 you could ever hope to buy at Lowe's. Bending was entirely out of the question!!

I was shocked when I got the test back and had gotten a score of around 51 or so. I was sure it would be in the 70s at least. At the bottom he wrote sympathetically that I needed to get the basics down for better scores, or somethin!g to that effect. I was sure he would write "I hope he knows how to jump!"

So I am at least one person who actually feels something akin to appreciation to him for not being overly harsh when he had every right to be. There are MANY judges out there (at least in area II) who would not have been so kind ...

ZELLA
Apr. 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
Eventing in the U.S. is fortunate to have Brian and Penny Ross. Brian is a judge who will see right through a posed but "not through" dressage test. I would treat any opportunity to be judged by him as an honor. I would view less-than-desirable marks as an observation of holes in my training or a reality check on where we really are at on a given day.

I do not want to be mollycoddled by a judge who might give over-generous marks just because I might fake a nice shape with a horse without real connection and relaxation.

Janet
Apr. 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
I rode one of my horse's worst dressage tests in front of Mr. Ross last summer - the test was, in my mind, so bad that half way into it I was worried that I might not be allowed to continue on to the jumping phases of the competition. Horse entered the ring with his head straight in the air and back harder than any 2x4 you could ever hope to buy at Lowe's. Bending was entirely out of the question!!

I was shocked when I got the test back and had gotten a score of around 51 or so. I was sure it would be in the 70s at least. At the bottom he wrote sympathetically that I needed to get the basics down for better scores, or somethin!g to that effect. I was sure he would write "I hope he knows how to jump!"

So I am at least one person who actually feels something akin to appreciation to him for not being overly harsh when he had every right to be. There are MANY judges out there (at least in area II) who would not have been so kind ... Similar experience. In fact I was talking to Brian after the test was over, but before the scores were posted. He said "Oh, it wasn't THAT bad", and made a couple of suggestions. When the scores were posted, I was at the bottom of the division, but he made me feel much more positive about it.

hey101
Apr. 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
I would view less-than-desirable marks as an observation of holes in my training or a reality check on where we really are at on a given day.

I do not want to be mollycoddled by a judge who might give over-generous marks just because I might fake a nice shape with a horse without real connection and relaxation.

Completely agree. The remarks posted by Fergie, to me, are a glaring example of exactly the kind of behaviour being discussed on the other thread about competitor's responsibilities. Don't execute a poor test and then blame the judging. Look first at your own training and riding, instead of trying to make it someone else's fault. And even if it WAS a poorly-scored test, shrug it off graciously and hope that the next time it will go in your favor- maybe on XC that fence judge will miss the fact that your horse did in fact step back at a bank, and you will escape with a clean round instead of 20 penalties. I think we've all been the victims, or benefactors, of eventing karma. ;)

LisaB
Apr. 6, 2007, 01:03 PM
We have probably forgotten but if we want clarification of our test, we can ask the judge! I've done it a couple of times. When they explain something, it's like 'oh aha!'

B Street Tango
Apr. 6, 2007, 04:40 PM
Did anyone even take fergie seriously? Well, other than fergie, of course. ;)

fergie
Apr. 6, 2007, 05:49 PM
You sure are easily "outraged"! Just an opinion, a point of view ...

earlnemo
Apr. 6, 2007, 07:09 PM
You sure are easily "outraged"! Just an opinion, a point of view ...

You spoke very poorly of someone whom many here know very well and love, so now they speak poorly of you. And rightly so, in my opinion. You should just hide. This isn't going to get better.

nowoncourse
Apr. 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
Did either photographers get any pics of me? Yes I am being whiny but hey, I want to see them!

I was number 170 by the way... and despite the bazillion penalty points I got at this show... my horse is awesome! Now if only I could ride as well as he goes :-/

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 6, 2007, 07:55 PM
Did either photographers get any pics of me? Yes I am being whiny but hey, I want to see them!

I was number 170 by the way... and despite the bazillion penalty points I got at this show... my horse is awesome! Now if only I could ride as well as he goes :-/

Did you check out Brant Gamma's web site?

http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/g/morven_park&photo_page=&photo_all=&gallery_page=1

They are adding new shots every day. I went after you so they probably have shots of you. They have just added a picture of my horse jumping the Trakahneur and a pretty shot of the little narrow number 15 on the training course. There looks like other training shots of fencte 12 (the one before the half coffin) and the down banks. I'm waiting until everything is posted to order something. GRC has up through number 140...don't know if they shot the rest of day.

nowoncourse
Apr. 6, 2007, 08:03 PM
Yep I have checked both sites. No pics on either yet :-(

flutie1
Apr. 6, 2007, 08:03 PM
" ... You sure are easily "outraged"! Just an opinion, a point of view ..."

You're hardly in a position to go all sensitive and defensive, Fergie. Of course you're free to an opinion, but you went waaaay over the edge into pure insult.
"Wanker?" "Hard ass?" Get a grip!

brantgamma
Apr. 7, 2007, 03:10 AM

Hi there...you had a little "whoops" at the jump I was shooting, (I helped catch your horse..) and then he gave you a HUGE jump, so didn't know if you wanted it posted, but it's up there now. My other photog. was moving to the steps and missed you..........we will get LOTS of you next time! sorry!

I am working like crazy to get everyone's up.....I do each one individually, so it takes time... :)

asterix
Apr. 7, 2007, 10:05 AM
hahaha, brant, she claims she DOES want to see her fall (and I certainly do -- I missed it as I was still circling the drain in warmup), so thanks for posting it :D (off to go look it up now)...

Interesting question, though...if you fall off, do you want the photographer to
a) catch your horse, enabling you to get back on faster and keep going?
or
b) stand ready to capture the superhuman/equine effort made to clear the offending obstacle on the next try?

:lol:
(sorry, couldn't resist)

(wait, I see you did BOTH a) and b). Impressive!)

brantgamma
Apr. 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
Completely agree. The remarks posted by Fergie, to me, are a glaring example of exactly the kind of behaviour being discussed on the other thread about competitor's responsibilities. Don't execute a poor test and then blame the judging. Look first at your own training and riding, instead of trying to make it someone else's fault. And even if it WAS a poorly-scored test, shrug it off graciously and hope that the next time it will go in your favor- maybe on XC that fence judge will miss the fact that your horse did in fact step back at a bank, and you will escape with a clean round instead of 20 penalties. I think we've all been the victims, or benefactors, of eventing karma. ;)

I have a fun story to add about "eventing karma" .......A few years ago I was walking the Prelim course at Morven, and was at the old corner when a horse and rider smacked the jump HARD, taking the red flag with them. The jump judge grabbed the flag and was attempting to reattach it when an advanced rider whom we all know and love, came flying along on a green horse. The jump judge jumped back, still holding the flag, thus creating a lovely open space between the red flag and the corner. Of course that rider, being very astute and on a very green horse, simply galloped between the flag and the corner, incurring no penalties! Thats the day your luck is with you! :)

Carol Ames
Apr. 7, 2007, 03:45 PM
I have watched through the years as he has grown into one of the most positive and respected members of the eventing community, both here and abroad. The contribution both he and his wife Penny have made to the eventing world is immeasurable, not the least of which is their hard work, dedication and personal financial support to make the NAYRC a huge success the last 2 years at the Va. Horse Center.

Invested1
Apr. 7, 2007, 07:41 PM
Brant Gamma,
You should put a link to your website in your sig block! :yes:

nowoncourse
Apr. 8, 2007, 08:44 PM
thanks brantgamma for posting my pic :-)

My fall wasn't bad and was so my fault that I was actually hoping someone had caught it on film so I could see where things went wrong. I completely understand being a little weary of putting fall pics up on the web. I had a bad fall at FHI last spring where the horse actually stepped on me in show jumping. The photographer at that event put the pics up and my aunt saw them and soon I was getting calls from all my relatives about how I should quick this sport! Obviously I didn't listen to them!

Thank you thank you for helping me catch my horse and get back on! He's a big guy and I would have racked up even more time faults if I had tried getting on by myself... heehee.

We're headed out to Redland and MCTA next by the way :-) Hopefully, no repeats of that performance though!

LisaB
Apr. 9, 2007, 08:13 AM
Nice pics! I've been wallowing in self-pity since I wasn't there but since you take such good pics, I had to go see my instructor's pics. I'll definitely have to tell her about it since you have a great shot of Jeff and Nicholas.
Thanks!

nowoncourse
Apr. 10, 2007, 09:46 PM
So all pics are now up on GRC.... and they have pics of me falling! lol!

If you look at the pic before I start to fall, you can very clearly see that my horse is so not ok with what is in front of him... too bad I couldn't see that while on top of him! heehee ... live and learn right?

Oh... and I used to think the T fences looked big but looking at the pics they sure look small under my 17.1h guy! Nice thing about riding a big horse I guess :-/