PDA

View Full Version : Nicole Uphoff clinics in Maryland

YogaFriend
Mar. 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
I have heard that Nicole Uphoff is starting to do regular clinics with Barbara Strawson and her clients at the farm she trains out of in Gaithersburg, Md.

Has anyone ridden with her?

What an amazing new opportunity!

I would just audit, but would probably stay for the whole thing.

Ames
Mar. 14, 2007, 05:11 PM
she was out over the thanksgiving holiday and I believe they are working to get her to come out twice a year, but I could be mistaken.

Carol O
Mar. 15, 2007, 10:22 PM
She did a clinic demonstration at the USDF convention a few years ago that is available on video through the USDF if you want to get a feel for her teaching style. I would love to ride with her. Having watched that, she seems tough, but fair.

jlther
Mar. 16, 2007, 11:24 PM
I rode in the clinic in November...it was the best one hour of riding in my life! I had just sold my 4th Level horse, which I had planned to take, so ended up taking my 1st Level Hanoverian mare instead. We worked on basics...getting her very even and through on both reins. Not very advanced, but always nice to hear you are correct and on track with a two time Olympic Gold Medalist!
I asked if they were having her back, but did not sound like it, unfortunately!

CapitolDesign
Mar. 18, 2007, 10:41 PM
Barbara is definitely having Nicole back to Wyndham Oaks in the coming months!

CapitolDesign
Apr. 23, 2007, 10:03 PM
Nicole will be back in Maryland on May 18-20 and the following weekend, in a clinic organized by Barbara Strawson at Wyndham Oaks in Boyds, Md.

YogaFriend
Apr. 25, 2007, 10:47 PM
How exciting!

Wasn't Barbara Strawson training some FEI horses over with Nicole in Germany for several years? Both are such elegant riders.

snowyriver
Apr. 26, 2007, 10:26 AM
Check out Barbara's website. www.barbarastrawson.com
She is an amazing trainer herself and a wonderful person!
Tina

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
strawson -- not much of an instructor

none of the riders improved

all of the horses got worse

mho -- of course

YogaFriend
May. 1, 2007, 09:36 PM
Pompeed: Did you create a username just to post a negative comment about trainers who aren't even participating in this thread?!?!!

[/I]
strawson -- not much of an instructor

none of the riders improved

all of the horses got worse

mho -- of course

Erin
May. 1, 2007, 10:02 PM
There is no requirement that an individual must be participating in this thread in order for someone to comment on them. One person posted that they thought someone was a good trainer; someone else posted that they thought she wasn't. And yet, the earth will still continue to turn...

And YF, the person registered in January, even if this is their first post.

One might wonder WHY someone would want to post such negative things about a trainer who isn't really even the subject of discussion on this thread... or, one might find better things to do with one's brain cells and just ignore unhelpful comments. Don't feed the trolls and all that. ;)

beanieincecil
May. 1, 2007, 10:15 PM
Wow Pompeed ! Meow..Why so caustic? I'll have to check my clinic video again. I was sure I'd improved !!!

novavada
May. 1, 2007, 10:20 PM
I would like to add myself to the list of people that think Barbara Strawson and Nicole Uphoff are great trainers!

Their countless awards and achievements should be proof of that.

MHO -- Maybe someone is just a little jealous?;)

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 1, 2007, 10:30 PM
no friend -- pretty obvious if you had bothered to look

not the subject of discussion?
geez, very same name right up there in first line of friend's starter

not surprised at mod trolling reaction:
modus operandi for troublesome content: beat up the poster
modus operandi for troublesome poster: invite a crowd to beat up the poster

YogaFriend
May. 1, 2007, 10:36 PM
Maybe you are outnumbered because so many people disagree with your inaccurate generalizations about two great trainers.

Why are you being so mean about them? Do you work for another trainer in the area or something?!?!

Erin
May. 1, 2007, 10:44 PM
Pompeed, your post was guaranteed to elicit this kind of reaction. Obviously that's what you were going for.

Either participate in the discussion in a constructive way, or don't participate.

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 1, 2007, 10:52 PM
jealous? of whom?
riders who paid said instructor big bucks while horses got worse over the hour?
that's funny! :lol::lol:

advice often seen around here: audit first
worked for me -- have the dough in the bank & the horses are no worse :D

read, friend, more carefully
before you swing

CapitolDesign
May. 1, 2007, 10:58 PM
Pompeed- If you don't have anything nice to say, can you please stop posting?

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 1, 2007, 11:17 PM
erin:
wasn't "going" for any thing -- whatever that means

you remarked i posted my own opinions based on my own observations
you regularly say that's why the publisher runs this bb: open airing of opinions

i'm entitled to mine -- others not obligated to agree
others entitled to theirs -- i'm not obligated to agree

sic frangor crustulum

Erin
May. 1, 2007, 11:35 PM
If you'll notice, I said in my first post that you are entitled to your opinion. You're not required to only say nice things.

But there are constructive ways to voice opinions, and trainwreck ways. You chose the latter. And, of course, everyone rose to the troll bait.

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 2, 2007, 12:34 AM
i went -- repeatedly
i watched -- for hours
the horses got worse
the riders got worse
regardless of level of work
very disappointing in all respects

is that better?

what would satisfy you, erin?
sugar coating?
lie outright?

you don't like the content
as mod, you charcterize it with code
instead of remaining neutral

maybe you have a subjective interest
maybe said individual is your instructor
or a close friend

Erin
May. 2, 2007, 12:57 AM
What would satisfy me? Well, for starters, not ragging on people you don't like whenever their names happen to come up. In case you didn't notice, this thread was about Nicole Uphoff, not Barbara Strawson.

But, if you absolutely felt compelled to share your opinion, even though it wasn't germaine to the conversation at hand, something as simple as "Gosh, I attended a clinic with her and I didn't really think the horses improved. But, glad to hear you had a good experience!"

Not terribly hard to have an opinion and still be respectful and constructive. And it comes with the added bonus that people might actually LISTEN to your opinion, rather than write you off as a troll with an axe to grind and discount you entirely.

retrofit
May. 2, 2007, 09:53 AM
I audited a Nicole Uphoff clinic last fall. All of the horses & riders improved under her tutelage (the riders who listened, anyway). She had a nice, low-pressure style yet stayed true to the classical principles. Barb Strawson rode Socrates and made it all look quite easy. I wished I was riding instead of auditing. Even so, I was able to take some of her teaching & apply it to my riding, with good results. I didn't see the issues that PomPee is talking about and it's ludicrous to come on here just for the purpose of bashing people. If Nicole and/or Barb are so awful, what would you suggest instead? Sitting around and complaining???

Pas de Deux
May. 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
I am extremely fortunate to have been one of the riders that worked with Nicole Uphoff last November and will continue to do so whenever she returns. Her teaching was succinct, articulate and very constructive. Each and everyone of us will perceive and respond to an individual, instructor or horse on very different terms. For me Nicole was perceptive about what I needed to tone my skills and how best I can support and work with my horse'
s abilities. She helped me to be more harmonious with my equine partner and my internal devils and angels. Barbara Strawson is also of that school of instruction. Both professionals have unique teaching styles that are flexible and articulate enough to help a diverse circle of student levels. What it comes down to is: To each his own! MaryBeth:)

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 2, 2007, 12:24 PM
quick search for "strawson" yields only this thread
hardly qualifies as "ragging on people whenever their names happen to come up"

is there a rule:
no opinions allowed til name mentioned x times?

instructor named by first poster
in opening note

name and site posted by snowyriver
site link intended to promote strawson
opinions contrary to snowy's certainly germane

opinions re strawson specifically as a disappointing instructor
upon own observations
over time
many horses
many riders

no comment as to uphoff
at all

what part can't mod follow?

undisclosed bias?
ax to grind?
everyone required to write as mod dictates?
everyone required to satisfy mod's subjective requirements?

opinions re strawson upsetting?
chew out snowy for injecting strawson into discussion

Ames
May. 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
i'm curios as to when and where you had such a negative experience.

Erin
May. 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
Is there a reason you must type your replies in verse, pompeed? Regular old full sentences generally serve pretty well.

The subject of this thread was Nicole Uphoff. Had someone posted a thread about Barbara Strawson clinics and asked what people thought, your comments certainly would have been appropriate. As it is, it seems much like commenting that you don't like her hairstyle or clothes... yes, it's an opinion, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Maria
May. 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
Gee Erin, do you have any skull left? I would imagine beating your head against that brick wall is getting tedious, not to mention painful.

Could this be an alter of someones?

Erin
May. 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
Not to worry Maria, I've got my approved helmet on! :winkgrin:

Not an alter. Which makes it even more weird.

snowyriver
May. 2, 2007, 02:07 PM
Pompeed: I posted Barbara's web site because it has the dates and contact info for the upcoming Nicole clinics. And Yes, I happen to be one of Barb's students and decieded to add that in my experience she is a great trainer. The same trainer does not work for every person/horse in the world. I'm sorry you did not have a positive experience with Barb. That does not give you an excuse to be that rude. Their are trainers I would never work with again but, I don't make a big deal about it. I just simply say they didn't work for me and my horse. As soon as I saw your post, I knew it was going to start a fight. Grow up, We are not in high school anymore.

Sabovee
May. 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
I haven't ever ridden with Barbara, but I will say this. I worked as a ring steward at a large licensed show last year, rode the first day, stewarded the next. Barbara Strawson was one of the ONLY people who thanked me when I told her she was on deck. In fact she was nothing but polite and cheerful each time I had contact with her. For me, this says a lot about a person.

Kareen
May. 2, 2007, 05:37 PM
I've never seen B. Strawson ride but I've met her a while ago and whether her instructing is any good or not which I can not know she most certainly is no person one would think deserves the kind of comment Pompejie or whatever it's named launches into this topic. Also I must say I've come to pay little to no attention to people who don't bother enough to speak or write in halfway proper sentences. If you don't have the time to write in an understandable form why write anything at all especially when the majority of users takes your posts as being negative and non-substantial?

MontanaDun
May. 2, 2007, 10:09 PM
Pompeed- sorry you had a disappointing experience auditing Barbara.

My experience has been contrary to yours, both watching her teach and riding with her. I have found her to be a thoughtful teacher with lots of ideas in her toolbox to address various horse and rider issues.

I am not riding with her this year because it's quite a trek to WO, but my horse certainly wound up last year straighter, more through and better connected due to our work with her.

But as is always good advice, observe a trainer before riding with him/her and decide it what they have to offer works for you. I hope that folks who are thinking about riding with Barbara will do what you did - go and watch her and then make a decision about how well her program will work for them.

Personally, if it were not for distance, I would be happy to continue to work with her and may wind up doing so anyhow if a new local resource doesn't pan out.

MD

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 2, 2007, 11:24 PM
not rude, snowy
my opinion
which you don't like
because you are biased

if you think there's a fight in this
your reaction is the cause
own it

you're happy
take a pat on the back
good for you
carry on

your words: strawson is someone i would never work with

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 2, 2007, 11:29 PM
well spoken
polite
generous
cheerful
charming
friendly
kind
courteous
pleasant
good figure
nice clothes
good haircut
on time
shiny boots
interesting stories

could go on and on

doesn't change
poor performance w/ multiple horses multiple riders

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 2, 2007, 11:38 PM
Kareen:
Learn to write well. In correct English. Spell properly. Use correct punctuation and sentence structure. Before pointing fingers at others.

Writing poorly on the topic of writing isn't impressive.

Tiki
May. 2, 2007, 11:52 PM
Grow up P or crawl back under your rock.

Pas de Deux
May. 3, 2007, 12:27 AM
Barb is the best!!! I have worked with several instructors and clinicians. Her ability to describe "feel" and the mechanics to get there is incredible. In the course of one year I have moved ahead leaps and bounds. She is definately a "keeper". MB:yes:

Balloon
May. 3, 2007, 12:31 AM
Captain. Kirk. Is. That. You?

snowyriver
May. 3, 2007, 08:25 AM
your words: strawson is someone i would never work with[/QUOTE]

I don't see that in my post any where. I am currently working with Barb and she has helped both my horse and myself tremendously. Again: Not all trainers work for every rider/horse. Barb didn't work for you, that's fine. Get over it. I'm sure their are riders that do not like your trainer as well. Everyone has there own teaching/learning method. Your entiled to your own opinion, but you don't have to be so rude. I'm not the one who came back at you. I only replied again because you brought me back into it.

This is my last post. Unfortunately, I have better things to do than whine on this forum.

Back to the original question! Has anyone ridden with Nicole Uphoff? Is anyone planning to audit the May clinic at Wynham Oaks?

Sabovee
May. 3, 2007, 08:44 AM
Captain. Kirk. Is. That. You?

LOL
Seriously....
As soon as you learn how to form a coherent sentence we'll look into taking you more seriously Pompoooo

Pas de Deux
May. 3, 2007, 09:50 AM
Yes, I have. You can email me separately for more details.

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 3, 2007, 10:20 AM
tiki
meet mirror :D
enjoy!

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 3, 2007, 10:43 AM
Their are trainers I would never work with again

in your words:
there are trainers
i would never use
you put yours up for comment

no big deal
just said she is one
and said why
straight out:
every horse worse
riders no better

my opinion
bothered you
a lot

your reaction:
snarl & snark
protects your bias
own it

siegi b.
May. 3, 2007, 10:47 AM
Erin... it's haiku! :-)

Maria
May. 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
if it's haiku, its
very very poor haiku
get butt back to school

H & C
May. 3, 2007, 11:35 AM
I rarely post but when I see hurtful posts such as Pompeeds, it really bothers me. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to state observations that are very subjective, yet highly destructive is terrible to say the least. Last year, I organized a clinic with one of the best riders in our Nation. It was a HIGHLY educational clinic with loads of information. I heard wonderful feedback until about a week later. Somebody forwarded an e-mail to me - it was from a woman that just bashed the clinic. It pretty much tore the clinician apart but with very subjective remarks. For example, "well her position wasn't that good", etc. And some of the remarks were ugly and mean. I was absolutely flabergasted! I also took it as a personal insult. Here I arranged this clinic - hours and hours of work - to bring in one of the best riders in the nation - who has devoted her life to becoming a better horseperson. I looked into this "e-mailer" and come to find out she was a training level rider that usually scored in the low 50's. All I could do is shake my head and to think that if this clinician ever got ahold of this derrogatory e-mail - I know that it would be upsetting.
I do think that personal opinions are very helpful if facts are brought into the picture. A few years ago, I worked with a different trainer. I liked the trainer a lot at first but once I got to know some of the training techniques, I knew it wasn't for me. If somebody asks me about this trainer, I will tell them my opinion and give them the examples of the training techniques so they can judge for themselves.
Remember, we are all trying our hardest to do well in this difficult sport... nobody is trying to do a bad job........

sabryant
May. 3, 2007, 11:49 AM
Nicole Uphoff is a fabulous clinician, trainer, rider! She speaks very good English and is able to translate the gist of her training techniques which is unsual for a foreign clinician.

Kareen
May. 3, 2007, 02:09 PM
To Pompeed: At least I try I just can't do it any better *LOL*. If you were prepared to lead a conversation in German I'd most certainly accept your critique however it seems your main interest is not to be constructive or communicative but you just enjoy to stirr trouble. You sound real frustrated.

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 3, 2007, 02:39 PM
we'll look into taking you more seriously

we'll look into it?

when were you
elected to speak
for everyone?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Erin
May. 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
Pompeed, you are getting exactly one more warning.

If you can't play well with the group, you can't play. Grow up and participate in a constructive manner, or you will no longer be allowed to participate.

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 3, 2007, 02:42 PM
Kareen: Bitte, schreibe auf deutsch ob Sie wollen. Es ist mir egal.

magnum
May. 3, 2007, 04:21 PM
I want to PUBLICLY THANK POMPEED.

Prior to her making this thread such a viewed one, I was unaware of the apparently VERY TALENTED Barbara Strawson, and also unaware that Nicole goes to her MD and clinics there. Because of Pompeed, I visited Barb's website (liked it) and also Wyndham Farms (that's a good one, too).

Everyone's positive responses here, and the professionaly completed website and Mrs. Strawson's accomplishments have only wetted my appetite to go see her.

One thing all Hollywood stars know is this: Notoriety is better than Popularity.

This thread is now more popular and more publicized and viewed. This is the best possible P.R. that Barb Strawson could have! Count me as a new fan!
even tho hadn't heard of Barb until 15 minutes ago!

This is GREAT!

Magnum

Tiki
May. 3, 2007, 08:11 PM
we'll look into it?

when you were
elected to speak
for everyone?
And you're correcting Kareen. TROLL!!!

novavada
May. 3, 2007, 08:45 PM
The fact that Pompeed has posted 13 times on the forum and ALL 13 have been to insult Barbara Strawson and her fans gives me a creepy feeling I can only compare to wearing full seat breeches on a humid day in August.

As mentioned before, however, Pompeed's semi-insane verse has only called more attention to Barbara's talent.:lol:

BTW: Barbara won second AND third level at the BLM championship last year, on different horses that she trained... but I guess all of the judges there/at qualifiers didn't have Pompeed's skilled eye.:eek:

Caroline Weber
May. 3, 2007, 09:02 PM
Kareen: Bitte, schreibe auf deutsch ob Sie wollen. Es ist mir egal.

Jemand scheint gebohrt zu werden.

You do realize that people would perhaps actually consider your dislike of Barbara is you bothered to give specific reasons? I get the feeling that you know that though...you just seem to get some odd pleasure from getting a rise out of people.

Any possibility we could go back to the thread about the actual clinic? I can't attend, but I'd at least like to hear about it!

CapitolDesign
May. 3, 2007, 09:21 PM
I promise to send along as much of a report as I can.

Hope to see everyone else there!

Sabovee
May. 3, 2007, 09:40 PM
we'll look into it?

when you were
elected to speak
for everyone?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There was a meeting last Thursday. Did you miss the memo?
:D

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
dislike barbara?
says who?
perfectly nice to me
perfectly nice to everyone

disappointment
in her work
as a teacher
with horses
and riders
has nothing to do
with her virtues
as a human being

she didn't ride
in her own clinics

she taught students
as one would expect
in a clinic format

awards at shows
are not clinic
lessons w/ students

some here (novavada among them)
cannot make
(don't wish to make??)
important distinctions

show riding vs training
training vs teaching
teaching vs show riding

novavada
May. 3, 2007, 10:37 PM
Pompeed: Creepy message #14.

If championship wins don't qualify as proof of being a good trainer, please let me know what does... so we can properly point out why Barbara is a great trainer!

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 3, 2007, 11:15 PM
novavada:
simple message no 62:

winning ribbons
doesn't prove
excellence as a teacher

many have said so
barbara agrees

excellence as a teacher
is proven by the
visible progress
of one's students

at the end of every session
each horse should be much better
each rider should be much better

i didn't see that
i witnessed the opposite

maybe you weren't there

carovet
May. 4, 2007, 12:02 AM
There was a meeting last Thursday. Did you miss the memo?
:D

the vote was unanimous (well, ok 3 people abstained, but they always do)

we didn't want to keep junking up the thread with each of us seperately making the same statement so we voted to let sabovee speak for us on this matter.

Kareen
May. 4, 2007, 01:51 AM
Novavada that was a good one! And yes I think this thread will make ginormous press for Barbara and I sure hope so. Hell she is one smart cookie to post here under pompeed *LOL*.
But seriously I am wondering what p's credentials are as a trainer, judge or whatever. Does he/she/it ride??? Has she trained anybody famous or at least learned from anybody recognized? And yes I do agree being a skilled rider and a good person per se is half the way to being a good trainer.

Sabine
May. 4, 2007, 02:34 AM
Novavada that was a good one! And yes I think this thread will make ginormous press for Barbara and I sure hope so. Hell she is one smart cookie to post here under pompeed *LOL*.
But seriously I am wondering what p's credentials are as a trainer, judge or whatever. Does he/she/it ride??? Has she trained anybody famous or at least learned from anybody recognized? And yes I do agree being a skilled rider and a good person per se is half the way to being a good trainer.

All I can say- neither Pompeed or Caroline Weber are German...LOL!

Caroline Weber
May. 4, 2007, 06:26 AM
All I can say- neither Pompeed or Caroline Weber are German...LOL!

:lol: I have nobody to speak German to, so it's essentially a two year old's German. If even that.

Commander Cody
May. 4, 2007, 08:08 AM
Not commenting on anyone's qualifications or abilities as a trainer, however I just need to make a correction regarding the 2006 BLM Championships (I was there, riding and as an organizer, and just checked results on the web site to confirm what I thought I remembered).
The Second Level, Division A was won by Mimi Lufkin on Bop 'n Jazz
Second level, Division B was won by Brooke Doss on Adlib
Third Level, Division A was won by Donna Gatchell and Contessa
Third Level, Division B was won by Theresa Butta and Baccardi.

Barbara entered 3 open classes that I could find with Socrates, and placed first in one and third in the other on Friday. I did not look further. I did not see her in any Championship class.

I also check the Regional Championship results but did not see her nor do I remember her being there from my scribing for Janet Foy.

I just wanted to make sure we were being accurate and that those who did win got the credit due them. Perhaps you were thinking of something other than the 2006 BLM Championships.

ToN Farm
May. 4, 2007, 08:41 AM
Barb Strawson won BLM Second Level and Third Level (different horses) at the 2005 BLM that was held at the NJ Horse Park. Results are on the BFK website.

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 4, 2007, 10:56 AM
kareen:

kind pleasant courteous cheerful
polite generous thoughtful
well-dressed & etc
gets one half way
to just about anything

doesn't cure incompetence
at anything
including teaching

you keep talking trainer
i'm talking teacher

the distinction isn't lost
on people looking for
competent instruction

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
novavada:

creepy message ricochet 186:

the official results are public
have been since the classes closed

for purposes of beating me up
you plastered your "results" here
to make yourself look
the good buddy to chums here
betting
i wouldn't know

i know
i have reason to know

facts count
get them right
before waving the long pointy finger
to play ms superior

embarassed now?
visit a mirror

Pompeed@comcast.net
May. 4, 2007, 11:29 AM
Novavada that was a good one!

your lecture:
good character is important!

you cheer
nova's "good one"
with an exclamation point
meant for me

novadada
made up the show results
to suit herself
to fit her motives &
her ax

you applaud her tactic
of robbing true winners
of what they earned
on the day

you bought
your glee
at their expense

so much for lectures on
the virtues of good character

The Sleuth
May. 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
Some of us know who Pompeed is. Perhaps she would like us to post her recent photos from Oregon, as evidence of how good her teachers are.

BlueStar
May. 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
Pompeed is only making herself look bad here.

Sleuth, you are good. I believe I also know who Pompeed is, because she used that same screenname once before to harass someone else on a different board, and her tactics were very similar.

Erin
May. 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
There's a reason we say "don't feed the trolls" folks...

rileyt
May. 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

a very old and famous Japanese haiku... translates as:

An old pond
A frog jumps in
The sound of water

Perhaps more appropriately in this regard:

An old troll spews dirt
bad haiku makes my ears hurt
Throw up on my shirt

hitchinmygetalong
May. 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
rileyt:

An old troll spews dirt
bad haiku makes my ears hurt
Throw up on my shirt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pophorse
May. 4, 2007, 04:09 PM
This must be one of the most bizarre threads I have ever seen!!!:eek:

The haiku-style from this person (?) certainly provides a new, albeit weird, twist on the art of posting...:lol:

In any event, I would imagine the trainer/rider she's bashing deserves more credit-from her website she seems like someone that has worked hard to get where she's at and makes no claims beyond those of any professional.

Besides, anyone that spent some years working/training at Hilltop and with Uphoff certainly must know enough to conduct a decent clinic.:yes:

Kareen
May. 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
One would guess so... Trouble is the less talented the student the higher the pressure put onto the teacher/instructor/trainer whatever word you like best. So maybe it isn't even B.Strawson's training that s**** but moreso the riding skills of a certain person being very critical of someone else's teacher-skills who knows what these rudies are thinking...

egontoast
May. 4, 2007, 07:22 PM
POMPous axe grinding
no excuse for torturous
feeble poetry

rebecca yount
May. 4, 2007, 08:23 PM
Oh please oh please oh please

Will you post the photos? I can't wait.

rebecca yount
May. 5, 2007, 08:19 AM
Well????

Taptaptaptap...

I'm waiting...

pophorse
May. 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
it would be interesting to see the photos from Oregon.;)

how come the haiku stopped when the photographic expose was announced????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Is Pompeed also Kassette (recorder) as an alias on other BB's?

FYI -- The pictures from Oregon disappeared, but some folks captured them digitally before they were taken down.

Magnum

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
p.s.

GO BARBARA AND NICOLE!

Magnum

egontoast
May. 5, 2007, 01:56 PM
yes, it's interesting how the nastiest railbirds run for cover for fear of exposure. It's very cowardly. If you aren't willing to expose your soft underbelly , then you ought to be careful what you say about others.

Those of us who are too cowardly to post our own photos ought to be a little more charitible to people who actually put themselves out there.

Someone please send me the link. Thanks.

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
Someone please send me the link. Thanks.

They were on the Classical Dressage website before they were deleted and replaced with sketches and art work :rolleyes: ....

Magnum

YogaFriend
May. 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
I will donate $25 to the PVDA Ride for Life if Pompeed's photos are shared:)

Anyone else?

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
I will donate $25 to the PVDA Ride for Life if Pompeed's photos are shared:)

Yoga, just go buy an illustrated version of HUMPTY DUMPTY.

Magnum

andie
May. 5, 2007, 03:58 PM
Magnum, what was the timing of the photo disappearance on the Classical Dressage website? Just since this thread started?

CapitolDesign
May. 5, 2007, 03:58 PM
YOGAFRIEND and all: Is it ok if I post photos and a write-up of Nicole's clinic after it takes place later this month?

Let me know if I should put the work in.

angel
May. 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
While it might be a game to regroup and attack an attacker, you all are just really putting yourselves on the same level as she when you do this. Why do you want to emulate this sort of behavior, bringing yourselves to this lower level? Were these pictures that you threaten to share all that awful? Probably not in the greater scheme of things.

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 05:58 PM
No. They disappeared probably approx. Feb. or March time frame.

Magnum

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
you all are just really putting yourselves on the same level as she when you do this. Why do you want to emulate this sort of behavior, bringing yourselves to this lower level?

Angel -- Oh good grief ... :rolleyes: Do you really think that our silly musings are as vicious as the verbose ramblings of Mrs. Pee-Peed?

"OUTING" a poster who runs afoul of the norm (AND the topic in question) would be known - in other areas of life - as "HOLDING SOMEONE ACCOUNTABLE" for her unacceptable behaviors. ... As others have pointed out, this type of a response is the expectation in public forums when one rogue individual behaves this badly.

Magnum

magnum
May. 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
Whoa, Andie! I just looked at the start date of this thread (mid March). You may be right about the timing. Magnum

Goo
May. 5, 2007, 06:29 PM
Wellllll... I was just browsing earlier on my most favorite photographer's website (Mary Cornelius), looking at her World Cup photos and poking around and looking at other photos while I was there. Reading this thread and the talk of Lipizzan photos made me go "Huh... sounds familiar..." so I went back to her website to look, and sure enough... there's a gallery up there from that event that happens to be public. ;) I have no idea who is who, but perhaps someone else might. Ahem. ;)

http://marycornelius.smugmug.com/Lipizzan%20Symposium

The Sleuth
May. 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
If you have a competent TEACHER such as Mikolka, Ritter, or the late VonNeindorff, then you can look like this:

http://www.whv-lipizzans.com/images/merlin/merlin2006-9485.jpg

or this (check those muscles on this equitation masterpiece)
http://www.whv-lipizzans.com/images/aramis/aramis2006-4967.jpg

Uh-oh, here come the judge, here come the judge, I'm about to be hit with a lawsuit.

Erin
May. 5, 2007, 09:18 PM
Angel -- Oh good grief ... :rolleyes: Do you really think that our silly musings are as vicious as the verbose ramblings of Mrs. Pee-Peed?

Gee, since when is being slightly better than a troll an appropriate standard of behavior?

You're name-calling. That's not appropriate. Ever. Knock it off.

angel
May. 5, 2007, 09:34 PM
Gee, that was a really lovely horse being ridden in those pictures. However, I was correct in that if those were the pictures in question, I am not seeing anything in them that I do not see regularly at the shows. Those of us who have been riding for any length of time, know we never like to see ourselves in pictures because we see all the warts. I know that I can pick my own pictures apart as quickly as I might critique yours or these.:yes:

egontoast
May. 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yes, exactly. Tell it to Pompeed. Glass houses, stone throwing and such.

Dalfan
May. 5, 2007, 10:29 PM
Uh-oh, here come the judge, here come the judge, I'm about to be hit with a lawsuit.

Sounds as if you have an axe to grind as well. Let's see your pics dear.:yes:

Just curious, did the rider in those pics give permission for you to post them? If not, very underhanded and dirty of you. Some things might be said of Pompeed, but a lot could be said of you as well.

I'm confused; are those pics of the sleuth or pompeed?

YogaFriend
May. 5, 2007, 10:45 PM
At least now someone can tell Barbara Strawson who her secret admirer is.:D

Sounds as if you have an axe to grind as well. Let's see your pics dear.:yes:

Just curious, did the rider in those pics give permission for you to post them? If not, very underhanded and dirty of you. Some things might be said of Pompeed, but a lot could be said of you as well.

Dalfan
May. 5, 2007, 10:51 PM
Are you saying The Sleuth is Swanson? Or possibly a friend/student? That would be my guess, considering 3 posts, all on this thread.

The Sleuth
May. 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
Dalfan, you're not that swift, judging from your posts.

I don't need permission to post a public link. The judge comment was a joke, since Ms. Pompeed is an attorney that frequently threatens law suits when a post doesn't meet with her approval. I would bet that she has already sent off an email to the coth with a complaint.

Dalfan
May. 5, 2007, 11:25 PM
Judging from my posts, I'm more than a little "swift". I'm swift enough to suspect that you have a personal problem with pompeed, and will try to get in a few shots yourself. What's your point in posting them? Trying to get people to rip them apart? I don't see anything so that would warrant such a reaction.

Maybe you should post some of yourself as well, so we can compare.:lol:

We may have more than one troll here. Just because you CAN post them doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Liz
May. 6, 2007, 12:46 AM
Pompeed was acting like a total troll. You guys did not need to post pictures of her to humiliate her.....her posting was doing a fine job all by itself. Now you have opened the door for other, far more annoying trolls.

Dalfan
May. 6, 2007, 12:52 AM
You guys did not need to post pictures of her to humiliate her.....her posting was doing a fine job all by itself. Now you have opened the door for other, far more annoying trolls.

Well..at the very least you got my point.;)

Liz
May. 6, 2007, 01:01 AM
touche Dalfan. I suppose I did.

To be honest I thought her posts were far more incriminating that the pictures.

magnum
May. 6, 2007, 10:57 AM
Dalfan, you're not that swift, judging from your posts.

I don't need permission to post a public link. The judge comment was a joke, since Ms. Pompeed is an attorney that frequently threatens law suits when a post doesn't meet with her approval. I would bet that she has already sent off an email to the coth with a complaint.

The Sleuth is absolutely correct .... thanks for stating the truth, Sleuth.

Magnum

Dalfan
May. 6, 2007, 11:09 AM
The Sleuth is absolutely correct .... thanks for stating the truth, Sleuth.

She could be telling the truth. But, you are both missing the point. You know pompeed personally, that is obvious. Obviously, you are not "friends". So you post pics of her, supposedly, to start a rip-fest. Your motives and agenda are transparent, to say the least.

Is there something I am missing from her pics? I just don't get what is so bad about them. You want to point it out for me?

Could it possibly be because she is older and does not have an anky-like physique? Let's see your pics.

magnum
May. 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
I am confused. I didn't post pix.

I do have one in my profile. It was taken as I prepped at a show last year.

Magnum

Dalfan
May. 6, 2007, 11:24 AM
Sorry, I meant sleuth posting pics.

NewAlternative
May. 6, 2007, 12:47 PM
She could be telling the truth. But, you are both missing the point. You know pompeed personally, that is obvious. Obviously, you are not "friends". So you post pics of her, supposedly, to start a rip-fest. Your motives and agenda are transparent, to say the least.

Is there something I am missing from her pics? I just don't get what is so bad about them. You want to point it out for me?

Could it possibly be because she is older and does not have an anky-like physique? Let's see your pics.

I think that they are just trying to point out that "Pompeed" is not in the same category as Nicole or Barbara, riding-skill wise. And that it's pretty crappy to rip apart nice riders like them when you can be anonymous (well, not anymore, I guess). I think the point is that if you want to rip apart others, especially as bad as Pompeed did, then put youself in the same spotlight that they are in. Something along the lines of being able to take what you dish out. Otherwise, keep it to yourself. Notice I'm not criticizing anyone, and I'm also not gonna post pics. :)

mazu
May. 6, 2007, 01:31 PM
Oh man, there are few better pleasures in a good COTH trainwreck than the outing of some grouser who thought they were anonymous. The posting of pictures of said grouser is a close second. Combine the two, and you've got a real winner of a thread on your hands. Good work, everyone!

Next time there's a need for some charity fundraising, I think someone ought to put together a scrapbook of all the pictures of COTH railbirds that can be located, with copies of their posts (the point being that many are not in any position to make the posts they do). Then make copies of the book and auction them off. I know that I would pay handsomely for such a thing, and it would be like recycling all the negative troll-energies into money for a good cause. Thinking about it brings a little smile to my face.

Just an idea...

MontanaDun
May. 6, 2007, 02:35 PM
Well now I am really confused. I have ridden with Thomas Ritter and with Barbara Strawson -in fact, I rode Shadow (he just been started the summer before) with Thomas when he was still coming to Maryland.

Barbara and Thomas are not that different. Both are looking for a horse actively using his hind end, stepping equally into the reins, straight in the bend, moving the balance to the back end, etc.

I know it's not very fashionable to talk about "classical" on this board, but part of the reason I started riding with Barbara was because I found her approach quite compatible with classical work.

She uses lateral work, lateral work on the circle, transitions both between and within the gaits, yadda yadda - all the work that builds the hind end, develops engagement and makes the horse straighter and more through. In fact, a number of the same exercises I have used when riding with Thomas.

He is one of the first people I rode Shad with - I think he would be pleased to see how the base he put on my horse has been shaped over the years. Barbara is not the only person involved in that work, but she was certainly one of the bigger influences over the past year.

If those are Pompeed's pics, I don't think they are all that bad - adult amateurs with full time jobs don't generally have the same look as a pro. In fact, her position in the first pic is pretty exemplary. I know I have pics out and about that look way worse than these.

I am just having a hard time understanding what she didn't like about Barb.

shrug - oh well.

MD

Liz
May. 6, 2007, 03:10 PM
Truthfully, the issue was never as to wheather or not pompeed was a good enough rider to be critical of others training. I take exception to that point of view. I may not ride as well as a professional trainer but I have a right to say "this is not for me, I don't like the way they train"(I am not talking about Nicole....just making a general statement).

Pompeed's message was lost in her delivery.

She might have had legitimate points to make but the way in which she chose to deliver her message was so obnoxious one could not help but immediately dismiss her as well....a little off center (if you get my meaning). Seriously, you guys did not need to post the pictures to qualify her lack of expertise. Do you really think any reasonable person would not read Pompeys posts and think immediately "that person is nuts". You don't have to make her look unqualified....she is doing an excellent job all on her own.

CapitolDesign
May. 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
I will post photos and a write-up of Nicole's clinic after it takes place later this month.:)

Keep your eyes peeled!:eek:

Bogey2
May. 6, 2007, 07:56 PM

let me see...would that be a compact disc or a cassette?:lol:

rebecca yount
May. 7, 2007, 08:05 AM
Okay, I don't know too much about using secret names and all that, since whenever I post I just use my real name. I don't really understand why people use secret code names. This ain't the CIA, ya know. This isn't some international spy plot thingy we're talking about.

But...am I correct in deducing that Pompeed is Kassette????

honeylips
May. 7, 2007, 09:09 AM
Isn't kassette the person who had a blog about her "training" trip to vonNeindorfs. Where she was afraid to canter and never did canter her whole trip there "training".

Erin
May. 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
You people do realize that you're making yourselves look much, much worse than Pompeed, don't you?

It doesn't matter if you haven't yet mastered the 20 meter circle -- you can still offer your opinion. Now, granted, others might not give it much weight if you're not terribly experienced yourself. But you are still welcome to offer it.

Had Pompeed delivered her opinion with just a tiny bit of tact, all would have been well. But she chose to troll instead, and then you all chose to feed the troll with ad hominem attacks. So, essentially, everyone participating on this thread has just completely blown the rules of the forum to bits. How very kind of you. :rolleyes:

I think we're done here. The next time you're told not to feed the trolls, listen.