PDA

View Full Version : taco update :-( Update post 141 pg 8

annikak
Jan. 14, 2007, 05:18 PM
I came down to Tryon to see Taco and his leg. Its ugly- and scares me a lot. I am glad I am getting to be with him, and I think he feels the same. I got lots of hugs and "Mom, look here, I hurt here, too!" and he showed me 2 other places that he got banged up. But, he was glad to see me, loved the carrots and treats. Luggage arrived late so got shipped out here this afternoon- with all the wrap supplies so we are getting set.

Please continue to jingle- I know there are a lot of really important requests right now on the BB, so don't take any from those... but any possible extras are appreciated.

I am going to attach links to pictures- they are somewhat gross, so that is why I am not doing thumbnails.

I think this is a better link? Try this first...

http://community.webshots.com/album/557011539mQhALp

[http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/16/16/7/4/8/2333704080061984421vlSQvl_th.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2333704080061984421vlSQvl])

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/16/17/6/14/73/2293614730061984421iJvyim_th.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2293614730061984421iJvyim])

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/59/159/1/17/14/2368117140061984421vviThJ_th.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2368117140061984421vviThJ)

Mudroom
Jan. 14, 2007, 05:23 PM
Wow

You guys have been through it all.

SB & I continue to jingle for you and "Da Man"

asterix
Jan. 14, 2007, 05:40 PM
lots of jingles from DC! You are not taking away from anything -- we have enough jingles for everyone, and Taco certainly deserves special eventer jingles!

RunForIt
Jan. 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
:) jingles are like what I told my girls about loving them both - "think about one candle - it can light another and another and still burn brightly..." jingling like mad for Taco! :cool: (he's going to be ok now that you're there. Ann's a super vet, but they can't do it without the horse mom) :winkgrin:

Sannois
Jan. 14, 2007, 05:51 PM
Annika, After all you have been through with that boy you guys deserve some good luck~ Heres hoping and jingling he mends fast! :yes:

CookiePony
Jan. 14, 2007, 06:28 PM
Poor baby. :cry: He must have been glad to see you. We're still jingling!

ss3777
Jan. 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
jingles from Stephentown. I think jingles are like love, an infinite amount :)

FatPalomino
Jan. 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
many jingles from CO and Champion Lodge ;) Poor Annikak!!!

Were any tendons damaged?

I used a product called "DermaClens", it's a white ointment, marketed mainly for dogs, on my horses's bad proud flesh injury by the coronary band. It works awesome. It has some aspirin in it, too, so it feels good for the horse and it is not too iritating like some other proud flesh ointments.

LAZ
Jan. 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
You're right, that is ugly. Jingles to Taco for a quick recovery!

JAGold
Jan. 14, 2007, 07:05 PM
Yuck. But I'm glad you are able to be there. --Jess

eventer15
Jan. 14, 2007, 07:39 PM
Still jingling!!!!

Fred
Jan. 14, 2007, 07:42 PM
sending more jingles and love for Taco from Ontario

snsmith
Jan. 14, 2007, 07:54 PM
Ack! That's definitely pretty dramatic looking, but I'm sure Bonnie Brae's giving him the best care possible. Sending lots of jingles for Taco!

Debbie
Jan. 14, 2007, 08:41 PM
More jingles for Taco!

Carol Ames
Jan. 14, 2007, 09:19 PM
I would go the frozen placenta and laser approach, it may seem like a lot of work, but, for that area should work well; check with breeding farms in the area, and see if any might have some frozen placenta stored away , probably not, I had to make my own, after snagging a nice fresh placenta, I am told that burn clinics use something similar so check around and see what you come up with. I have had good success combining the placenta with laser therapy of a particular type,PM me for more info

Tiempo
Jan. 14, 2007, 09:22 PM
Jingles from MI

cu later
Jan. 14, 2007, 09:36 PM
Jingles from Grass Lake, Annika. If you can get Taco through six weeks at New Bolton you'll get him thru this. He just needs you to be there.

cu later

EventingDreams
Jan. 14, 2007, 11:24 PM
Hang in there, poor Taco is probably really glad to have you there with him now. MME and Linda had told me of the happenings. Big hugs from me and my crew. Please feel free to call if you need anything at all. We'll be thinking of you! I'm sure you have plenty of advice for treatment, but we've always had good luck with DMSO, cortisone, and furacin for treating proud flesh.

onthebit
Jan. 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
Poor Taco! Jingles for both of you. :sadsmile:

McVillesMom
Jan. 15, 2007, 01:47 AM
Ouch! Big jingles from OH!

deltawave
Jan. 15, 2007, 08:21 AM
Owieeeee! Poor sweetie. Big jingles coming from us! :yes:

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 15, 2007, 08:41 AM
Oh Annika, I am so sorry. Many jingles from Bob and I.

Terry

Hannahsmom
Jan. 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
Jingles from here. I decided not to look at the pics, I'm going to instead think positive thoughts for Taco.

TheOtherHorse
Jan. 15, 2007, 11:26 AM
Ouch! Jingles for a quick and complete recovery!

annikak
Jan. 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
YOu guys are great! HM- How is Deke doing?

Wound was debrided today (is that how its spelled?) and in spite of the blood and gushy stuff, looks better. Sadly, you can see the bone and it looks horrible.:(

more pics http://community.webshots.com/album/557011539mQhALp the last one shows the bone

Gotta say, if he makes it thru this and ever events again, that would be amazing. He deserves some sort of "good horse" award for being such a great guy.

Carol- I would like more information on that stuff! Thanks!!

jn4jenny
Jan. 15, 2007, 02:34 PM
Jingle jingle jingle! Every horse should have such a devoted mommy to not only get him the best vet care, but take the pictures too!

PS--Thanks for the compliments on Skyler on the other thread! Jingle jingle!

Debbie
Jan. 15, 2007, 03:00 PM
Note to self: Just Jingle; Don't Look; Just Jingle. Jingling away.

I wouldn't count him out on a recovery to eventing, it looks wicked, but it's amazing what they can come back from.

moonriverfarm
Jan. 15, 2007, 03:03 PM
WHAT HAPPENED???????????????

Hidden
Jan. 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
Jingles from NC... hope all goes well

Cody
Jan. 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
Annika,
those pics sure look familiar, not the Spot pony, but the SO's mare. Except her's was right in the crook of the leg and just as big. Today, you have to look for the scar to find it. And she's 25 now and riding fine. Still bucks on occasion with him.

But since I know that you wanted to come spend the winter here in Florida I'm jingling like mad for you and Taco. Next year, I'll save you a camping place.

Cody

Grasshopper
Jan. 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
Annika--you don't know me, but I can say it is amazing what they come back from. My mare has, among other things, punctured a fetlock down to the bone (large puncture--you could see the bone), bowed her DDFT behind, strained her SI, and sliced her hind leg right below the hock so it nicked the tendon sheath (you could lift up the flap and see the whole tendon interaction there), which ended up with major proud flesh (the size of a small grapefruit) and infection. But, one surgery, a few months of antibiotics, and lots of handwalking later, she is recovered from that last one with just a scar, and going as well as ever (maybe better!).

So, lots of jingles and optimism from us here in FL!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 15, 2007, 05:23 PM
Annika,

Is he still at Bonnie Brae or is he at your place now? Bill and I will be up there with Bob on Wednesday. Nothing major just not quite right on his left front. I took him to Carolyn but he was perfectly sound when we got there. And still sound when we got home. Now he's off again. Oh well, Dr. Hay will figure it out.

Still jingling like mad for Taco.

Terry

annikak
Jan. 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
poor Bob!

Grasshopper- your gal and my guy seem cut from the same cloth. Its a bit rough. Tacos main issue is his immune system- it is NQR, and he has strange (really strange) responses to things. Suffice to say that my daughter says I should write a book- "the story of the $1,000 horse that became a $100,000 horse" No one believes it until they see it- and i am waiting for it to not happen at some point.

Good things today- My daughter who lives in Tryon, gives lessons to a vets child. The vet is willing to barter lessons for wrap changes and assistance with the wound. This will save me 100.00 every 2 days which adds up rather quickly. This is good news. very VERY good news. He goes to Bonnie Brae tomorrow for a check up on it. His knee is a bit large, too so will probably xray that, too.

How it happened? He was in Tryon and a friend, who is a trainer and a great horse person, was riding him for me until our truck was repaired and we could get him home. He is a difficult horse in some ways- and I guess he was pissed I left so decided to let me know with a huge flair. He kicked at another horse and got his leg caught over a stall door from what I understand. I was not there, and don't know exactly what happened, but this is what I gather. I feel horrible for my friend- horses can really be stupid and I am sorry he was really stupid on her watch. She got him to Bonnie Brae very quickly and I am sure thats why he will be okay.

Thanks again for all your support- Terry- keep me posted abt Bob!

Cody- something to look forward to! Thanks!!

JAGold
Jan. 15, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hang in there. The flip side of Taco's "issues" seems to be that after giving everyone heart attacks, he does come back really well from things that seem like they are going to be just awful.

And the debridement can really help. I know it looks terrible...

When Fannie attempted suicide (for people who don't know me -- this is a rather bitter joke; Fannie is a horse who went over the divider in a trailer and ended up with a leg that looked a heck of a lot like Taco's), the vets had us laser 2x a day, and when things started closing, use something to prevent proud flesh. The concern about proud flesh wasn't just cosmetic; it was also thought that because of the size and location of the wound, the proud flesh could inhibit range of motion. I'll find out from Dayna what exactly we were using... --Jess

barnmaven
Jan. 15, 2007, 08:33 PM
Annika, my TBx cross mare had a horrific cut on her knee as a 3-4 year old. The injury involved the joint. After a lot of TLC, she came through just fine. She yanks those knees over every fence. You'll have to check her out sometime.

Considering the quality of vet care "then", and quality of care you're getting now, I'm thinking positive thoughts for you.

Perfect Pony
Jan. 15, 2007, 09:25 PM
Jingles coming from CA!!

Grasshopper
Jan. 15, 2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, I meant to add--using cold laser really seemed to be the turning point with controlling the proud flesh and getting this giant hole to close up. The chiro/DVM I worked with in CA very generously loaned hers to me so I could do it myself (saving $ of vet visit) every day. It just took 15 min once/day.

They also kept on top of the debriding, and I kept it wrapped with some pressure and Nolvasan cream (the wraps were artistic creations with Telfa pads, sheet cotton, Elastikon, vet wrap over more Telfa pads to protect from rubbing, more Elastikon top, bottom, and over the hock, and then a standing wrap to hold the rest of the thing up). Betadine definitely encouraged the proud flesh, even as a 'weak tea.' I ended up rinsing and gently swabbing with saline solution, then smearing on the Nolvasan cream and wrapping over that.

I can't remember if Taco deals well with being wrapped, but you may be able to do the bandage changes yourself? The vets and I worked together to find the best way to wrap. I got lots of things--sheet cotton, telfa pads, vet wrap, and Elastikon--in bulk. Started with every day bandage changes, then went to 2 days, then eventually went to 3 or 4 depending on how long the bandage would stay up.

The vets were also concerned with my mare about scar tissue hindering tendon flexibility, so it was a fine line between enough movement to keep everything stretched out but keeping her still enough to allow the tendon sheath to regrow. Phew. I won't mind if I never have to deal with that kind of thing again....

Anyway, more jingles!

Hannahsmom
Jan. 16, 2007, 06:35 AM
Good things today- My daughter who lives in Tryon, gives lessons to a vets child. The vet is willing to barter lessons for wrap changes and assistance with the wound. This will save me 100.00 every 2 days which adds up rather quickly.!!

:yes: Ah, some good things for a change for you. These guys....they are a challenge aren't they? I'm convinced we shouldn't be nearly as concerned about global warming as immune system and infectious issues. :) Well, both...but it seems like the latter is even harder to crack.

Deke had several bad infectious eye bouts last fall. It's such a pain as there is no cure, just dealing with flareups. But in between bouts he's great. Don't know how much showing we will do, we just have to wait and see. I got one of those guardian eye masks and I'm going to use it as a preventative and maybe we can keep the flareups down. I did get the chance to be a lead pony for a friend over some BN jumps last November. It was fun, Deke was sooooo serious. :D

deltawave
Jan. 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
Oh, poor boy. It's a good thing he is your horse, because I *know* you will do whatever it takes to see him through this. And I know that HE knows it, too. :yes:

Kelly got kicked in the hock many moons ago (by Gwen, although I didn't own Gwen at the time--spooky, eh?) when I was out of town. She was treated immediately but when I got home I *had* to remove the dressing and have a look. Picture a grown woman, 7 months pregnant, SOBBING while kneeling in the shavings looking at an exposed tarsus bone. She was good as new after 6 months. There's no way her wound was NEARLY as ugly as Taco's, but it was also a point-blank, full force whack on a joint. :sigh:

Best wishes from all of us up here freezing our buns off (finally...)! :)

bambam
Jan. 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
Jingling away in DC

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 16, 2007, 06:11 PM
Annika I sent you a PM. I had sent an email but wasn't sure you were checking while in Tryon.

Still jingling for Taco that he will come back 100% sound and compete again as soon as possible.

Terry

Pocket Pony
Jan. 16, 2007, 08:33 PM
Continued jingles for Taco!!!

annikak
Jan. 18, 2007, 07:47 AM
HI everyone-
I am back in the cold Midwest, with Taco in great hands down in NC. I feel much better having seen him, and gotten his "toys" in his stall.
I took him to Bonnie Brea on Tuesday for Anne B to see him and she liked the way things looked. Its a long time to heal, but she feels that it should be okay in the long run. Just depends on how he handles things. He will probably have some sort of Surgery to remove part of the bone that has been damaged- but I understand that as horrible as this sounds, it should be okay. I also learned that they do skin grafts on horses- who'd a thunk it?;) So, if he needs that, we will do that.
So, while I feel bad all his care is falling on my DD lap, I do feel better for knowing that things are heading in the right direction.
Too bad you cannot find "horse-sitters" to come and entertain him for an hour a day or so?
Thanks again for all the jingles- powerful stuff....

Mudroom2
Jan. 18, 2007, 08:58 AM
Encouraging news, that's great. Who knows, you might find some "entertainment" help thru this board

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 18, 2007, 09:18 AM
I was at Bonnie Brae yesterday (Bob will be fine) and everyone was talking about how much they like Taco :D. Anne B says he reminds her very much of one of her horses.

Still jingling that he makes a speedy recovery.

Lora
Jan. 18, 2007, 09:27 AM
How did this injury happen?

annikak
Jan. 18, 2007, 09:53 AM
Simple answer? He missed his mom, threw a hissy fit -kicked over a stall door (it was dutch, I assume...) and got caught. A horse trying to kill itself. Why they do that? I dunno- but he is a silly sort of beast....

RunForIt
Jan. 18, 2007, 06:25 PM
I also learned that they do skin grafts on horses- who'd a thunk it?;) So, if he needs that, we will do that

Annikak, this is EXACTLY how I met Elizabeth Callahan - I had this lovely Selle Francais mare who managed to find an unknown sink hole in her paddock next to the fence that had a metal water drain on the other side of the fence...yes, horsey went thru the sink hole across the drain taking all of her skin, muscle, and part of a tendon, right down to the bone (NOT the way to have an anatomy lesson)...I met the incredible Dr. Andrew Parks at UGA veterinary hospital in the middle of the night. During Kate's stay at UGA, she had multiple skin grafts, the pictures of which continue after many years to be the subject of some of his lectures to vet students (yes, she was insured). When we determined that Kate couldn't really be a dressage or event horse, Elizabeth entered our lives as a new mom, putting Kate to work as a brood mare. After having several lovely babies, Kate is now out being a GORGEOUS trail horse or is now up in horse heaven making that an even more lovely place.

If Taco doesn't have any tendon problems, BELIEVE Ann B.! He'll come through this with many stories to tell and more gray hairs for you! Kate felt fine after all her surgeries; it was the tendon injury that kept her from being a competition horse. I didn't flinch a bit looking at Taco's pics - been there, done that - BELIEVE!!!!!:cool: :yes: :yes:

annikak
Jan. 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot! Have to say seeing Anne B. in person made me feel a lot better!
Great story... what a great thing for your mare to end up doing. I love EC's site, and have drooled over her babies.
I Believe! :yes:

Mickey87
Jan. 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
Jingles for Taco!! You sure have been through a lot with him. You always manage to keep an upbeat attitude though. I admire that. My mom, who lurks, wanted to me to tell you she is jingling for Taco too.

Heather

annikak
Jan. 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
Jingles for Taco!! You sure have been through a lot with him. You always manage to keep an upbeat attitude though. I admire that. My mom, who lurks, wanted to me to tell you she is jingling for Taco too.

Heather

Thanks, Heather (and yr Mom! You Should "come out" !)

Taco has been thru a lot, I agree- and as someone said, thank goodness for his name Cat Burglar- he sure has used his 9 lives and possibly stolen a few along the way.
As the vet in Tryon said, "it's a good thing he is special..." and I agree, he is. This is a hard one, however. Thank GOD for Mr AK and his patience with Taco and me.
What he has told me is this- in his very Taco...TAKE THIS! way-
(cue song by Ricky Lee Jones...)

"Weeeeee belong together!"

Just found out he finished 1st for prelim horse in Area VIII. Not by much, but still! Nice for him!!

RunForIt
Jan. 21, 2007, 12:26 PM
:winkgrin: Taco's going to be fine, Annika. And everyone that sees him compete is going to tell "the story of Taco". Do you think that he might have planned it this way? :lol:

Congrats on his award! :cool:

annikak
Jan. 21, 2007, 12:37 PM
:winkgrin: Taco's going to be fine, Annika. And everyone that sees him compete is going to tell "the story of Taco". Do you think that he might have planned it this way? :lol:

Congrats on his award! :cool:
Ya know, I think he may have. He is very much my alter-ego. I am SO not that way, and he has brought me out a bit.
MME called him a narcissist of the highest order.:lol: :lol: :lol: (Don't share that with him- he would be offended)

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
T

Just found out he finished 1st for prelim horse in Area VIII. Not by much, but still! Nice for him!!

Congratulations to him and to YOU for getting him there. You do belong together and he is lucky to have you :) :) :).

annikak
Jan. 22, 2007, 07:24 AM
quick update- Keep jingling- Taco coliced mildly yesterday- weather in Tryon was changing, and perhaps that is it. He has never coliced, so its worrysome. Yes, he is getting all sorts of wet food and alfalfa hay and good things like carrots. (Over 8 gallons of water in his food a day... i believe in wet food!) Sending him gastrogard today. When the vet came, there was a mild impaction, as well as displacement. That said, He should be fine.
The hard decision is that we are going to move him to a rehab farm. Seems to be the right thing for him. Cannot wait until he can come home to Mommy! (I think the human kids cannot wait for that, either- nor can my DH! for All Sorts Of Reasons...;) )

Hannahsmom
Jan. 22, 2007, 07:36 AM
I know how you are feeling. It just feels so much better when they are right under your eye. Even when my boy was at R&R I fretted. I knew their care was fabulous, but I was sure he would be happier at home. Fingers crossed for no more snags.

Congrats on the win in Area VIII too!

Mudroom2
Jan. 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
Just found out he finished 1st for prelim horse in Area VIII.

AND fourth in the USA for Master Adult Prelim!!!

Congrats!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
Still jingling for Taco. How is he this morning?

Prieta
Jan. 22, 2007, 10:22 AM
Taco's injury looks pretty bad but he's so lucky to have excellent care and a wonderful mom. Taco and you need lots lots of jingles! Jingles! Jingles!

PugsRule
Jan. 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
Jingles from Ollie and me :) You are in my thoughts as I am sure it is even harder with him being away from home... he will be back soon :yes:

Prieta
Jan. 23, 2007, 07:17 PM
How is Taco doing now? How does he like his new toys? :)

Mickey87
Jan. 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
Congrats on the award, that's got to make you feel good. It must be hard not being able to see him everyday.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 23, 2007, 08:04 PM
How is he doing? Bob (the horse), Bill (the DH) and I are still jingling from South Carolina.

I have to admit I have been a little over protective of the horses since I heard of Taco's colic. You do everything I do, probably more, yet he still colic'ed. Antibiotics might have been the culprit with his hurt leg. Probiotics are a great thing. Hope all is well.

Terry

annikak
Jan. 24, 2007, 08:40 PM
Taco is moved to Martha K's and I am so relived, So much better to have someone like that taking care of him and not worrying so much. esp as I have to be out of town for the next 5 (!) days at a USPC meeting. So, I can now sleep knowing that he is okay- and well taken care of!
Thanks again for all the jingles- indeed, the COTH bb is the Best!!:yes: :yes:

FoxChaser
Jan. 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
Good news!! Hang in there Taco- Lord knows you've been through enough already (you AND your mom!!).

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 24, 2007, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a great place to be. If I can do anything over the weekends to help out I will be more than happy to do so. I could take him some stud muffins if that would help ;). I wish I could do more.

Still jingling in South Carolina.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Feb. 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
Still jingling in South CArolina. Any update. How is he settling in at Martha K's?

Love to you both,

Terry

carovet
Feb. 7, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks, Heather (and yr Mom! You Should "come out" !)

Taco has been thru a lot, I agree- and as someone said, thank goodness for his name Cat Burglar- he sure has used his 9 lives and possibly stolen a few along the way.
As the vet in Tryon said, "it's a good thing he is special..." and I agree, he is. This is a hard one, however. Thank GOD for Mr AK and his patience with Taco and me.
What he has told me is this- in his very Taco...TAKE THIS! way-
(cue song by Ricky Lee Jones...)

this silly girl keeps forgetting that she got taco from canter and MADE HIM UP to the accomplishments that he and SHE have seen and done.

she trained him to where he is today, and she rode him in the competitions to acheive what THEY have, not what he has

caro

ponyperson92
Feb. 7, 2007, 09:21 PM
Jingles!

annikak
Feb. 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
thanks for asking! (and for all the kind PT's and emails!)
Taco is still at Martha's, and will remain there until at least the middle of March. He is being a great rehab pt so has moved up to the top of the rehab list! (meaning he can stay! He was only supposed to be there for 2 or 3 weeks)
The overall actual wound is healing- but there is the area over the bone that is not healing and appears to be a sequestrium (sp??). But it does not appear to be that on x-ray.:confused: :confused: :confused: So, Dr B is wondering if maybe its something with the tendon. While it appears okay, perhaps there is damage that we cannot see, and that is why it won't heal. To be honest, it went over my head - stopped hearing after the word surgery.
SO- Next Wed he will go to the clinic and they will surgically explore the area and see what they find. They will also debride the wound then- so far, with the 3 times they have done it, things indeed look better on the proud flesh front. Why the waiting? Maybe the darn thing will begin to heal and then all this won't happen.
From original estimate of time, we are now adding 6-8 weeks of recovery. :no: BUT! The positives are that we are not thinking its dire, he has not done a "taco" and gotten totally infected, and Martha K's is a God-Send. And, I still think he is the coolest horse ever...and has given me more then I can ever give back.

Thanks again for asking- How is Mr Bob? and I love your sig line- it sums up everything-

annikak
Feb. 7, 2007, 09:34 PM
this silly girl keeps forgetting that she got taco from canter and MADE HIM UP to the accomplishments that he and SHE have seen and done.

she trained him to where he is today, and she rode him in the competitions to acheive what THEY have, not what he has

caro

Silly Rabbit! Its just cuz you loff him!!! (okay, maybe me too???):lol:

And to think you answered your phone all those times- The Carovet Psychic Vet Line- can DX horses from 1000 miles away!! I think you saved his (and my) a** many many times!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Feb. 7, 2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by carovet http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=2202055#post2202055)

caro

and before that she made up Mr Bob for me :D. The one time I rode before Martha K. she thought he was AWESOME. How cool is that :cool:. Unfortunately she thought I could use a little work :eek:.

Thanks again for asking- How is Mr Bob? and I love your sig line- it sums up everything

Mr. Bob is great. God I love that horse :D. He has taught me so much more than I ever imagined I would learn from him. He gets his hocks injected on Monday at Bonnie Brae and then we are seriously getting back to work :yes:.

On the sig line - I love that quote from Ms. Jackson, she seems like such a lovely women. I also love the fact that Mr. Bob shares some of the blood that ran through Barbaro's veins as they are both decendents of Bold Ruler.

Please keep us up to date on how Taco is doing.

Terry

EventingDreams
Feb. 8, 2007, 12:51 PM
Glad to hear he's doing better! Keep up the good rehab Taco. Hope to see your mom sometime soon:)

hey101
Feb. 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
Annika- so sorry to hear about Taco- those are scary pictures. Sending lots of good thoughts your way, and internet carrots and hugs his way!

annikak
Feb. 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
quickest of updates- things did not look good this AM- got a call that there is some sort of dark red- going towards black thing coming out of the wound and the discharge has changed. She said it looked like a clot, or something like that. She had alreadly called the vet, so I am sitting on my hands waiting for the call...Will update then...
thanks everyone for the thoughts-Ya'll are the best! ED- I sure miss you! Where have you been? I still have your awesome ribbon (Low score for MI!) to give you!!!

KellyS
Feb. 8, 2007, 10:04 PM
And, I still think he is the coolest horse ever...and has given me more then I can ever give back.

As someone who feels the same way about my pwn special horse--let me say that I'm jingling away. :)

annikak
Feb. 9, 2007, 07:23 AM
Quick update- Doing another bandage change today- seems to be somewhat normal as the tissue tries to cover the area over the bone. Movement probably caused a hematoma and thus the strange "protrusion" from the bone area. If it still looks strange today, in he goes to the clinic. If its the same, surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. (just in time to miss Mr. B! :( )

mbj
Feb. 10, 2007, 09:06 PM
jingling in Pa.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Feb. 10, 2007, 11:13 PM
More jingles from me and Mr. B. Will there be surgery on Tuesday?

annikak
Mar. 16, 2007, 08:55 PM
Well, I thought that I would update everyone that has asked abt Taco-
So, its the middle of March, and while there has been progress, we are still no where close. I got a call today that there is some healing over the bone, finally. But not enough to even allow hand walking. :( We are now looking at 2 more months before any real anything can happen.

So, now we are actually looking at about 6 months of almost total stall rest. Once he is allowed to beging moving, The rehab will have to be very slow- his tendons in that leg sustained damage- while not bad, there is going to be time to make sure that he will be okay. The hard decision is going to be leaving him at the rehab farm. Martha K is doing an outstanding job with him and is the only person that I think can handle all his idiosyncrasies.

God Bless my husband. That's all I can say. It was a hard day today for me. I really miss having him in the barn, nickering to me every morning. The rides with a partner that just knows what you want-the power of his strides- I miss all of that.

Lori T
Mar. 16, 2007, 08:59 PM
Sending more jingles your way.

fargonefarm
Mar. 16, 2007, 09:28 PM
Awwww. Jingles for poor Taco. And God Bless Art. You have good boys there, Annika.

FlightCheck
Mar. 16, 2007, 09:39 PM
jingles and besh wishes to Annika and Taco.....

from Cyndi and the FatPaintMare

RunForIt
Mar. 16, 2007, 09:44 PM
:sadsmile: :yes: jingles for YOU, Annika - Taco has you and Martha K - yes, bless Art and all the lovely guys that help us through injured horses, new Jack Russell puppies (when you go off to work and they stay home with the puppy ! :eek: :yes: :cool: )...and all that other stuff called LIFE. Carrots and hugs to Taco - even more to you (carrots, ??? :lol: ).

tuppysmom
Mar. 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
6 months of stall rest seems like a very long time, but it will pass and the horses get used to it after a while. Jingling for Taco and you to get back together asap.

clivers
Mar. 17, 2007, 12:32 AM
More jingles Annikak,
hang in there!

JAGold
Mar. 17, 2007, 12:39 AM
Oh Annika. I'm sorry :( This is just rough. Hang in there. He's going to be ok, and he will always be your partner. --Jess

Laurel&HollyFarm
Mar. 17, 2007, 07:45 AM
Annika I'm so sorry :cry:. Bob and I are still jingling away for Taco. Six months will be gone before you know it. Hang in there and know we are all pulling for the sweet guy.

Terry

Hannahsmom
Mar. 17, 2007, 09:38 AM
Big Hugs to you annika. This too will pass hopefully. Only God knows what will happen, you just have to wait. I hope you can get him home soon.

Precious Lendon
Mar. 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
My daughter and I are jingling for Taco!

We have a horse, Albert, who had a very similar injury on August 4, 2006. His tendon was completely severed and he had surgery immediately at the University of Georgia. We have had him home since two weeks after the surgery and my daughter has learned a great deal about bandaging and debriding and has done an excellent job of caring for the horse.

For all practical purposes he has been on stall rest since that time. We did buy outdoor stall panels and we let him stand in the stall outdoors where he can graze for about 4 hours a day. We move the stall to a freash area every few days so he always has grass. We have also started giving him an herbal relaxation supplement to keep him calm. He had only been off the track for about 5 months when this happened, so he's not predisposed to staying calm.

Many of the same things that you describe with Taco have happened with Albert. The wound seemed to turn a corner recently and the healing has really accelerated. We are still probably looking at two more months of stall rest. If you have any questions about the stages Albert's wound has gone through, feel free to PM me. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I read through many of the posts and may have missed it, but can you give me some specific information about the rehab facility keeping Taco? Because of our experience with Albert, I am interested in taking in a couple of horses for rehab near Atlanta. I would love to visit the facility you are using.

Thanks an we'll keep thinking positive thoughts for Taco!

bigdreamer
Mar. 17, 2007, 01:26 PM
oh annika, I haven't been on the board much lately and missed the original post and found this today and read back on it- wish I could've started jingling sooner!

Taco will be in my prayers! Those silly horses, always getting themselves in trouble. :sadsmile:

deltawave
Mar. 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
More jingles for Taco! Let me know if you need a horse to ride...Gwen is looking for a job this summer! :D

CookiePony
Mar. 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, Annika, it sounds like such a frustrating situation!

I will do my best to jingle for your poor boy. Let us know if he needs anything-- likit refills, etc.

Edited to say: OK, maybe not Likits, given this thread : http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=81089
But we still are feeling for you guys!

scubed
Mar. 18, 2007, 11:07 AM
jingling a lot here in PA. Hopefully, now that some progress has started, it will continue forward. Lots of good wishes and (carrots for Taco) (hugs for you).

jn4jenny
Mar. 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
More jingles in Ann Arbor for Taco and for you. Taco is so lucky to have you for a mommy!

AlwaysHopeful
Mar. 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
Jingles from WA :D

slp2
Mar. 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
OH noooo! I just saw this about Taco. Jingling like crazy for him. Such a cool horse. He has battled the odds before--he can do it again. It's tough with the stall rest. I think its as stressful for us (or maybe more) as it is for our horses. :no:

FatPalomino
Mar. 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hang in there Taco!!!!
Champ knows just how hard stall rest can be- he went just wild after a week!!!!!!
Why does this always happen to the nicest people??

Mickey87
Mar. 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear it, how frustrating!! Hang in there. Jingles for Taco!

Whisper
Mar. 19, 2007, 03:29 PM
I didn't see this before, either, so I'm glad you updated it. I'm jingling hard that he'll be back to his usual self soon.

RAyers
Mar. 19, 2007, 03:44 PM
Annika,

Keep hanging in there! Have you considered tissue scaffolds such as calcium alginate? I used that on Shiver and his most recent knee blow-out. I also ran across a few papers that show lasers, in what is the most amazing coincidence, of the same power and wavelength of a laser pointer can stimulate tissue (fibroblast) healing. I also used that on Shiv. I can't say how much it helped but there is science out there that indicates it does aid in the healing of the dermis.

Reed

annikak
Mar. 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
Annika,

Keep hanging in there! Have you considered tissue scaffolds such as calcium alginate? I used that on Shiver and his most recent knee blow-out. I also ran across a few papers that show lasers, in what is the most amazing coincidence, of the same power and wavelength of a laser pointer can stimulate tissue (fibroblast) healing. I also used that on Shiv. I can't say how much it helped but there is science out there that indicates it does aid in the healing of the dermis.

Reed
M/Dr. Ayers, can you please enlighten me on that that might be? I assume its not some sort of tums, huh?? We are using the laser- the respond laser. I think it is helping some, but since the wrap changes are pretty far apart, not as much as I might like to. The Gel Wraps http://www.elastogel.com/elasto-gel.htm have been a remarkable thing- which given Taco, is impressive. I will always have this stuff on hand- insurance has got its advantages! If I have it, I should not need it! If you dive a bit further into the site, there are a few other things that are maybe what you are talking about. Martha has been a great sport about trying everything. I sure would appreciate any ideas you have (*and in turn, will attempt, when we end up at a show together, to help you understand women. I am, after all, female so know something about that!:lol: *)

Thanks everyone for the jingles- its very appreciated! Here is my current fave pic of him. Its at Wayne, CIC* oops- cannot seem to add it.... I'll keep tryin'!

frugalannie
Mar. 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
(On review, I realize that this is long: apologies!)

Hi Annika. Sorry to be late to this thread. I've been jingling for Taco, as I mentioned in another thread, but just now focused on your description of his wound. More jingles, and encouragement from someone who's been there!

About 10 years ago, a very nice TB mare I had spooked and dumped me in the road during a "quiet" winter walk in a very icy world. I couldn't hang onto her, and she ran down the road where she slipped on ice and abraded her hind fetlock down to the bone. Talk about road rash! Joint fluid and blood mixed with grit. Yuck! An immediate trip Tufts Vet Hospital for clean up/ debridement.

When she came home, I had to do bandage changes every day. You cannot imagine my distress when I did the first one: a hole on the surface of her fetlock, all the way to the bone, the size of my hand.

Fast forward to the present: the now aged mare is still sound on that leg, and has a 2" long scar that is only 1/8" wide at it's widest point.

What worked: obviously antibiotic coverage. And my local vet gave me some patches that they had used on a bad wound on a dog. My recollection is that they were fibrinogen patches, but could have been fibrin, on a gel matrix. (Is this what you're talking about, Reed?) The stuff wasn't cheap, so I would cut the patches to fit the wound, and then wrap the heck out of it. It was really gratifying to see how the size of the patches needed got smaller and smaller as healthy pink flesh migrated in from the margins, and we were all stunned when hair grew back, in her original black, no less.

We also, when weather allowed, would take two 10 foot gates and make a pen against the "L" formed by the side of our barn and a paddock. It got her out of her stall in the fresh air, socializing with her friends.

All in all, it took about 5 months from the original injury to her going back to work, and she went back to eventing sound.

Hang in there, Annika. My old mare and I are jingling for you and Taco.

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
Jingles to you!!!! Poor Taco! He and my horse should get together and discuss how NOT to upset mommy (aka treat givers).

Just to add to the hopefulness, a friend of mine has a mare that fell out the back of a trailer that got kicked open. She was dragged for quite a ways on her hip because nobody would let the driver pull over. Her whole hip was open and today she has a nasty scar, but she is sound sound sound.

Judi
Mar. 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
Rainier and I are jingling like crazy for both of you. I know we're going to be hearing great tales of you and Taco by next year. Meanwhile... we're thinking fast thinking miraculous healing thoughts your way.

You're such a good Mommy... Taco is a lucky lucky pony... to have a Mommy who cares so much.

jingle.... jingle... jingle...

judi and rainier...

annikak
Mar. 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
Don't cha think that standing in the ocean would do Taco a WORLD of good? (It would me:cool: ) Make SURE to tell Brian that he is doing something that Taco and his old mom would love to do!
So, now I can attach again-here they are! This one is a Wayne- the quality of the picture is not so great, but the pic itself is fun and I admit to closing my computer down more so I can see it:lol: - its the desktop of the week!

Thanks everyone for all your great stories- yes, there is an end, its kind of like being a sophmore in highschool and being 15- you are far away from all that is good!

Cody
Mar. 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
Annikak,
You get that boy to FL and we'll get him to the ocean! I love the ocean for the spot pony's legs.

I'm still jingling for the Taco pony.

Cody

annikak
Jun. 15, 2007, 10:07 PM
But, sadly, not to be.

Everything had been going GREAT! Back to work- for over 8 weeks- since April 2oth. And cantering had begun, lots of long road rides- out of the wrap, no ooze or smell or lameness....GREAT! Then, it happened.

Yesterday, rode him for 40 min- its hot here, so he was hot. Washed him off (had ridden in polos- all clean) cleaned his legs, and put salve on his leg to assist in hair growth. Turned him out at 6ish. At 7:10, my DH and I walked out to see the horses (I had to clean stalls) and saw him take a poor step. Went to show DH how GREAT his leg looked and was met with a disaster.

It totally opened- tendon can be seen, and the tissue on the edges is (for some strange reason) dead. Or will be. Swelling over a great deal of his body this am/pm.

Xrays (which we hoped that a sequestrim (sp) would show) showed nothing. NOTHING. Followed a tract about 2" up and down- tomorrow contrast will be injected to see what we find. No obvious infection, but definate oozing.

I am attaching a not-so-good picture. I promise you that a week ago you would have never known it was ever that bad. Now, as of today, looks like it just happened. Well, I cannot get to the pics right now- will post later.

So...he needs those jingles again. Big time. No reason does not bode well for him.

Debbie
Jun. 15, 2007, 10:22 PM
I'm so sorry, what a terrible development especially when things were so hopeful. Hugs to you and healing thoughts to Taco.

FlightCheck
Jun. 15, 2007, 10:25 PM
urgh.
Jingles from me and the FatPaintMare

TheOtherHorse
Jun. 15, 2007, 10:28 PM
Oh no! I thought he was healing up well and that you guys would be back at it in no time! :no: Tons of jingles for poor Taco :(

mbj
Jun. 15, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm so sorry. Jingling here in PA/

RAyers
Jun. 16, 2007, 12:46 AM
I feel horrible for you! Shiver has the same problem. The skin around his knee blew out again in January for the second time as if it never healed from the orginal wound. It is absolutely frustrating, aggrevating, irritating, and heartbreaking situation. It is almost as if the tissues just don't seem to work.

Tacos' wounds almost look exactly like Shiver's! See my previous post. We basically treated the wound like an electrical burn using burn dressings and treatments.

One thing, I never put anything on the wound anymore. I suspect that ointments and creams trap and hold any bacteria and the skin tissue has become hypersensitive. I try to keep everything clean, shaven and dry.

The first tiem the wound reopened, we put Shiv in a full leg splint, completely immobilizing the leg and locking him up for 6 weeks. This last time I caught it immediately and totally immobilized the leg again.

If you want to call me, PM me and we can talk about how we treated Shiver again and again.

Reed

But, sadly, not to be.

Everything had been going GREAT! Back to work- for over 8 weeks- since April 2oth. And cantering had begun, lots of long road rides- out of the wrap, no ooze or smell or lameness....GREAT! Then, it happened.

Yesterday, rode him for 40 min- its hot here, so he was hot. Washed him off (had ridden in polos- all clean) cleaned his legs, and put salve on his leg to assist in hair growth. Turned him out at 6ish. At 7:10, my DH and I walked out to see the horses (I had to clean stalls) and saw him take a poor step. Went to show DH how GREAT his leg looked and was met with a disaster.

It totally opened- tendon can be seen, and the tissue on the edges is (for some strange reason) dead. Or will be. Swelling over a great deal of his body this am/pm.

Xrays (which we hoped that a sequestrim (sp) would show) showed nothing. NOTHING. Followed a tract about 2" up and down- tomorrow contrast will be injected to see what we find. No obvious infection, but definate oozing.

I am attaching a not-so-good picture. I promise you that a week ago you would have never known it was ever that bad. Now, as of today, looks like it just happened. Well, I cannot get to the pics right now- will post later.

So...he needs those jingles again. Big time. No reason does not bode well for him.

frugalannie
Jun. 16, 2007, 06:52 AM
Oh Annika, I'm so sorry.

Jingling for Taco!

deltawave
Jun. 16, 2007, 07:06 AM
Big jingles for Mr. Taco. If anyone can get him well, you can!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jun. 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
Annika I am so sorry. Are you in Tryon?

Jingling in Simpsonville for Taco!

Terry

Sannois
Jun. 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
But, sadly, not to be.

to hear he is not doing well. I went thru a very similiar thing with the best horse I have ever owned 20 years ago, and we did not have the advancements of today. His was bone, but after surgery for an unrelated thing and a year and a half layup and rehab. He started swelling all over his body, joints became huge. Nothing helped. He was miserable, I spent thousands on trying to make him whole again. and he was very young, only 7. While I know that it is not the same as Taco I do know all too well the pain and frustration you are going thru. I wanted to keep trying anything and everything. On the advise of a vet that I trusted completly I put him down. He was the supreme eventer, small but bold and confident and never saw a jump he did not like. And he was my friend. I have never bonded with a horse like that since. I hope and pray Taco can be helped. Just know that there are many of us who are pulling for him. Lots of prayers and jingles from me and Truman! Kim
:yes:

Bensmom
Jun. 16, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hugs for you and Taco from Florida from Buzzy and me too. We'll go back to keeping our fingers crossed!!

libby

BBowen
Jun. 16, 2007, 10:13 AM
Sending loads of jingles and prayers for Taco. Hang in there!!!

FoxChaser
Jun. 16, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yet another setback :( Well, Taco is smart to get his problems out of the way this year. The ground is too hard to do anything too much what with the drought anyway- not much consolation, I know. Tristan and I are jingling away for him!!

Mickey87
Jun. 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
Ohhhhhh, Annika I'm so sorry! How frustrating for you! I will keep you and Taco in my thoughts. ~Heather

clivers
Jun. 16, 2007, 01:15 PM
Jingle, jingle!!! I'm sending positive skin-growing thoughts your way Taco!!!

Jazzy Lady
Jun. 16, 2007, 07:08 PM
Oh no!!! So sorry! Lots of jingles for poor Taco!!!!!!

CookiePony
Jun. 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
:confused: :( What a bizarre and worrisome situation. I'm wishing/jingling hard that he starts healing again SOON.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 16, 2007, 09:19 PM
That just sucks! Lots of jingles. Hope you can get him to heal again!

annikak
Jun. 16, 2007, 10:57 PM
So, we have an answer.

He indeed does have a sequestrium (sp...I know its gotta be wrong!). Its large- more then 2 1/2 inches, and there is thought that the thing is actually bigger. They will not be able to see until surgery.

They don't feel comfortable doing it in MI (He is quite a tough history) so we are taking him to Haygard on Monday.

The time line is just STRANGE- so damn long between first injury (Jan 4th) and this- just does not happen that way- in normal horses. So, there is worry about "things".

While in normal horses there is a really good outcome, in this case there is more worry- its just a sucky thing.

So, here are the promised thumbnails. I am attaching the one that I saw right after we found him- it looks worse now, but his body is really reacting, so that is expected. Plus, the ones that made me begin to worry. Sadly, I of course did not take the "good" pictures- I was just so happy things looked good that I thought...HOME FREE!

What is that expression about pride? This somehow fits, I think. They keep assuring me that I did nothing, and that there was no way to know, but still, I am wondering what I missed. Maybe nothing? But I will never know.

So, my vet here is giving it a 50/50 shot, only because its Taco and he just has some really stupid ways of dealing with things, but my BF who is a vet is cautiously optimistic- I like that but still am worried.

Thanks for the jingles everyone-everyone is great here!

1st is Thursday, the second is the 27th, when things began to look somewhat strange, and the next is the 29th (of May...sorry!)

Lose That
Jun. 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
crazy JINGLES from NC!!!

Tiempo
Jun. 16, 2007, 11:24 PM
Aw crap Annika...

I hope all works out ok for poor Taco :cry:

frugalannie
Jun. 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
Annika, the good news is that his body is doing the right thing: trying to get rid of the sequestrum. With luck and all the jingles we can muster, it can heal well.

What are they telling you to do in the meantime? Would your vet OK warm compresses to help the circulation in the area? I had a mare who had her spint bone shattered. They got out everything they could see in surgery, but for two years after, whenever I would start to see a little swelling in the area, I'd apply hot/warm compresses of dilute betadine and within a couple of days, a little piece of bone would pop out. It eventually stopped and she was fine.

Anyway, still jingling like mad.

FoxChaser
Jun. 17, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hey annikak, will you be traveling down here with Taco on Monday? If so, we (little FC and I) would be glad to meet you for some lunch and some moral support. I'm guessing you'll be using Dr. Hunt at Hagyard? He is FABULOUS!! He was Tristan's vet (and my neighbor) when he fractured his tibia in two places. We thought he had a sequestrum at the time, but here we are almost 3 years out and nothing ever came of it. Good luck and good healing to Mr. Taco!!!!

CookiePony
Jun. 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
If anyone could have caught a warning sign, it would have been you-- as far as I can tell you have been extremely attentive to Taco through this whole ordeal. So don't beat yourself up about maybe missing something. I'm glad you have some answers and that he'll get the best care. Good luck on Monday!

PugsRule
Jun. 17, 2007, 11:40 AM
My thoughts are with you and the farm here is jingling loudly for you!!!!

Longspot
Jun. 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
Major jingles coming your way!

Mudroom
Jun. 17, 2007, 10:56 PM
Gray guy & I are jingling for both of you!

Think of all the tough times Taco has made it through. I fany one can, he can.

bigdreamer
Jun. 18, 2007, 12:10 AM
jingle jingle!

scubed
Jun. 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
many jingles for Taco coming from here. I'm sure it totally blindsided you, but "there are stranger things...." and I know you were paying the best possible attention and taking the best possible care. Hoping for the absolute best outcome

fargonefarm
Jun. 18, 2007, 09:15 AM
Awwwww.....
Poor Taco. Poor Annika. If you need anything, just let me know. I'd be happy to lend a hand. Keep the faith - if anybody can pull a horse through this it's you:yes:

SparklePlenty
Jun. 18, 2007, 09:56 AM
Jingles for you and Taco.

My prayers are with you guys.. and many hugs too!

Hidden
Jun. 18, 2007, 10:35 AM
More Jingles for Taco and you from NC!

grzywinskia
Jun. 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
I worked at Hagyards for many years and your horse will be in great hands. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

annikak
Jun. 18, 2007, 06:33 PM
first- how handy is having a computer when driving in the car? Hmmm nice thing this is!

SO! we really DON't have answers, or at least really. We unwrapped it today, took x-rays (*love digital...*) and nothing. Yes, roughened bone, but nothing else. So, no surgery, back home to begin the process as if it were a new wound. Dr Rogerson says skin grafts, but there is nothing that can be done about that right now- too raw. I am beyond frustrated, sure happy as can be that there is nothing to get to, but where the He** is what we saw on the other xrays? Its good to get a second opinion, but I wish someone would agree with someone else. My vets in MI, thrilled as they are, are skeptical- yet the films don't lie. And the edges, which were horrible and raw look quite healthy today. I have a picture...will attach. To think that on Thursday it was closed and today this? Um...strange.

so, plan now is this- t/o in small area, wraps on 12, off 12, and see what happens. Since we have to head here for festival in 4 weeks, I will bring him with and see what happens then. If they need to do something else. he can be here. We are going to be here for 10 days and if he needs to be seen every darn day, so be it.

So, happy, frustrated horse mom here. :confused::confused:Confused, indeed....
Foxchaser, someday...someday we will meet!

FoxChaser
Jun. 18, 2007, 07:36 PM
I am much happier to have you and Taco headed home with no sequestrum and no surgery than to have lunch with you, thank you very much ;) I will be sending all the skin-healing jingles that I can muster your way. Horses sure are strange healing creatures!

frugalannie
Jun. 19, 2007, 07:38 AM
Any chance he expelled the sequestrum on his own?

WIth good margins, you might get excellent skin healing (back to Reed's suggestion about the matrix?).

Jingles continue.

annikak
Jun. 19, 2007, 08:57 AM
No, as he has had a wrap on, and the bone that the one set of films showed was at least 2 1/2 inches. So, as we sat and made jewlery jokes (not the race horse kind, altho he has plenty of those!) I don't believe thats possible.

I am going to PT Reed and see what he says- laser I have-

And since I did not wrap the leg, and use the fantastic Elasto-Gel, of course it looks terrible today- I mean GROSS. ANd, oh yes, puss-ie (You do not want to know what I first typed...) and smelly. Thank you VERY much.:mad: (I am really looking for the tired, frustrated icon, not so much angry as just...exhausted.)

Poor Horse- and I mean that. But for the good side, its cooler here, we had some rain, and he has good hay! What more could a horse want?

Thanks everyone- you all are just fantastic. I feel your care and concern and that means so much.:sadsmile:

98neigh
Jun. 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
Here is something you might see if the vets think is OK to try. Get some garlic powder, (I get mine from Springtime in MD, it didn't work well for me as far as stopping bugs, but) put the powder on the wound and either wrap or not, I've done both. It helps remove or keep away infection and helps the healing. I did that with a yearling I had who about cut his back foot off on wire fence and wrapping tightly, it helped it heal very well. I do that on wounds that are in hard to wrap places, don't know how much it helps, but it makes me feel better. Good luck, I wish you and your horse well. - Steph

shea'smom
Jun. 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
No ideas, but Damn! Poor baby! That is a puzzlement.

Jun. 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
annikak: i sent you a PT

Sannois
Jun. 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
on your horse keeping toes annika! LOL I am so happy that nothing bad showed, confusing but great news. We are jinglinh for you and the boy. You have been through so much you are bound to come out on top! Best of luck at Encore with your other boy, Kim ;)

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jun. 19, 2007, 08:09 PM
It seems Taco is always asking you how much you love him and you always come through. Taco, Annika loves you already please get well and stay that way.

Bob the horse who knows first hand how much Annika loves her horses, Bill the DH and I are still jingling in South Carolina.

Terry

annikak
Jun. 19, 2007, 08:21 PM
That made me laugh, Terry, as...welll I have been thinking all SORTS of strange thoughts. (animal communicator anyone??? :eek:) Maybe if there was any sort of validity to that, they could tell him...For Christs sake, she said "Till death do you part!" What more do you WANT!? He is "that" BF us tender girls had in HS...but we won't go there....

So, here it is today. Yuck. Oh, and something did grow on the Culture- just waiting to see what it is! Maybe that is good news.

FrittSkritt
Jun. 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
This may sound strange, but I read somewhere (just can't remember where!) that garlic is good for healing open wounds like that... let me see if I can find where I saw it.

annikak
Jun. 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
someone mentioned that earlier on this post...;) Adding it to the Bank Of Wound Information

Thanks!

Hannahsmom
Jun. 21, 2007, 12:44 PM
wow annika, I can understand the long strain this has been. The good horses....they give us extremely high highs, and just as deep lows. Jingling for ya.

frugalannie
Jun. 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hey Annika, I saw Brian this morning. He's jingling for Taco, too!

He looks great and is being loved to pieces, BTW.