PDA

View Full Version : The "I have no business doing dressage clique"

twnkltoz
Dec. 26, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone, I have no business doing dressage! Oh well, I can hang myself or do it anyway....

1. I can't afford a $3500 saddle, $700 boots, or $400 coat.
2. My arena is not covered so isn't useable half of the winter and *GASP* I don't have a dressage court to practice on!
3. I ride an arab, 'cause I want to and not just because I can't afford a $50K imported warmblood.
4. I ride in an AP saddle because I haven't found the right dressage saddle yet.
5. I post annoying questions on bulletin boards.

Who's with me? :)

lark_b
Dec. 26, 2006, 12:48 PM
I'm with ya, sister. I don't have a dressage trainer, the closest thing I have to a trainer is the COTHer that owns the horse I ride, and she's a H/J person. And I haven't taken a lesson from her yet! :) I am also the only even remotely dressage-y person in the barn, that I know of...

I can't afford any horse right now, but when I can you can bet it will probably be an OTTB or a QH or something. I can't sit the big moving warmbloods yet--I can barely sit the little guys right now. My leg is all crunched up and my hip angle is too closed, making riding in my dressage saddle very goofy looking. Boy do I need some lunge lessons.

I can't afford to buy tall boots right now. I am riding in half chaps and Ariats.

I could go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

twnkltoz
Dec. 26, 2006, 12:59 PM
My instructor (rides at about 2nd level) and I are the only dressage riders at our barn. I ride in these funky horsey tennis shoe things and half chaps.

ClaraLuisa
Dec. 26, 2006, 02:13 PM
This is a clique I fit into...

I'm back in the AP saddle, too.
My horse has rideable days and...you don't want to see it.
The spook is her strongest figure..."8" on Spook, and if there were a coefficient for Bolt Down the Length of the Arena we'd be winning a lot more.
My trainer calls me Pretzel Lady.
We hang out with jumpers.
We show with hunters.
We're too dumb to quit.

ddashaq
Dec. 26, 2006, 02:25 PM
Oh, do I belong in this clique. I also ride an arab, I ride in a 2- phase A/P saddle (designed for the 2 jumping phases of eventing), and I love my riding sneakers and half- chaps (with jeans!). We, too, spend much time spooking intermingled with wriggling. My trainer is actually excellent and is kind enough to put up with our ways. Most of the boarders at my barn are DQs which emphasizes how much we really stink. Fortunately, my great love is jumping so I am not too heartbroken about our lack of talent!

raffadasmom
Dec. 26, 2006, 04:37 PM
Ah, my people!
1. My husband is my main trainer and we ride in our backyard, and our arena is not regulation (it's wider so we can actually lope a nice big circle).
2. I take a weekly High School lesson on Lusitano stallions using French/Portuguese methods and learning what a lot of people poo-poo as "circus tricks."
3. We own a saddlebred, an Arabian and four quarter horses.
4. For the past several months, I've been riding/training my 5yo ASB primarily with a Wintec wide WESTERN saddle made of fake leather. (Oh, the horror ... and the chair seat!) I ride in what's comfortable. Get over it. It fits my hard-to-fit horse and it was cheap. I'll probably just keep one of my dressage saddles in the event I do ever show again. The way I'm feeling lately, that could be a very long time.
5. I ride in Wrangler jeans and Roper boots, even when I am in a dressage saddle. In 25 years of riding, I never have liked the feeling of tall boots and breeches. I don't like full seats or any Clarino on my lower body. I don't like to feel "stuck" to my saddle. I like to relax and slide around up there.
6. All of my horses can work a cow (no, not spectacularly, but they know how.)
7. All of my horses go out on the trail.
8. All of my horses have ground manners and hop in the trailer willingly.

tarheelmd07
Dec. 26, 2006, 04:54 PM
The perfect clique for me :D

1) I'm an eventer, and thus definitely not a "real dressage person"
2) I ride a full-blooded American Saddlebred...a full-blooded, former rescue, known to throw in a few steps of rack when he gets mad Saddlebred :lol:
3) My "dressage coat" is actually the jacket to my one and only black suit
4) My dressage saddle is black, my dressage bridle is brown, and I'm often spotted using a hot pink saddle pad
5) My last "dressage horse" was an 18.1h percheron -- who couldn't even break 60 at Intro level
6) I'm most often found schooling at home in ratty tshirts, holey jeans, beat up paddock boots -- and hot pink full chaps -- with fringe!

Reynard Ridge
Dec. 26, 2006, 04:57 PM
If you would deign to have me, I would like to join. :winkgrin:
1. Clueless, now and always
2. Good spirited, fun loving and tries not to pick on other people (clearly I do not belong in the dressage world :lol: )
3. Owns a Really Nice Dressage Saddle. That does not fit my equine. Could get it fitted, who has time?? Rides in a close contact saddle. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What?? You need more than that??

Knothead
Dec. 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think I might belong to this clique:
1) I ride a Breeding Stock Paint (not even a "real" one) that was bred from QH working stock;
2) I have a 1992 County dressage saddle that's looking more brown than black
3) I board at a non-indoor arena farm with one set of crossties and no wash stall
4) Although I do have trainer(s), none of them have competed for many a year themselves
5) And, you might kick me out on this one, I have box seats for Dressage at Devon, but I couldn't even enter the equitation class if I wanted to and, honestly, only have them so I can partake in the partying end of things;
6) Have never entered a recognized show...ever; and
7) The only reason I "try" at dressage is because I broke too many bones trying to event and now I'm a weenie.

MeredithTX
Dec. 26, 2006, 05:33 PM
7) The only reason I "try" at dressage is because I broke too many bones trying to event and now I'm a weenie.

Thank God I'm not the only one!!! :lol:

twnkltoz
Dec. 26, 2006, 05:38 PM
I think I might belong to this clique:
3) I board at a non-indoor arena farm with one set of crossties and no wash stall

You have crossties??? wow.

LOL I don't even have the broken bones to blame...I'm just a weenie!

OnyxThePony
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
ROTFL!! "Dressage Poser" indeed!!

1) I have NO seat- literally. It was taken away by a drunk driver 6 years ago.

2) In January I am entering my first dressage show(UN-sanctioned of course!!) in about.. oh.... 15 years.
2b) Walk-Trot!!!! :r

3) I'm uncertain Rosie the unbroke cow-pony is *ready* for the walk-trot!!
3b) I can't remember a *single* rule except the bit check and something about starting within 45 secs of a bell ringing.....

4) Nuff said.. although I could go on about the Siegfried VSS (a/p or at least mostly jumping saddle.. brown, gasp), or the lack of an actual dressage saddle for the last 8 or so years, affinity for half-chaps and jeans, working cow horse ability (spotted 14.3 Hh appy type at that), inability to remember to ever put up the letters in our indoor.. or failing that, to at least remember where a few go, clip/turnout job about as good as you'd expect from someone with no back (and possibly no eyes), a barn fulla novice cowpokes and three professionsals: me, a barrel racer and a roper...etc, etc...

So yes!! Join me up!!

twnkltoz
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:12 PM
We're a couple of misfits, we're a couple of misfits, what's the matter with misfits, that's where we fit in
We're not daffy or dilly, don't go 'round willy nilly, seems to us kind of silly, that we don't fit in
We may be diiferent from the rest, who decides the test of what is really best
We're a couple of misfits, we're a couple of misfits, what's the matter with misfits, that's where we fit in!

Bayou Roux
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:22 PM
I'll join!
1.) I've been riding just over a year.
2.) My mount is a 20-year old Saddlebred rescue recently retired Amish buggy horse.
3.) Yup, A/P saddle, but better yet-- enormous western saddlepad until Ms. Rescue horse put on some padding of her own.
4.) Mostly riding in the pasture & on surrounding trails.
5.) Do have a fantastic trainer, and love my once-a-weeks with her on her wonder-Morgans, but that's like stepping into someone else's life for an hour.
6.) Wearing a new pair of 1/2-price George Straight Blue Suede Ropers-- 1/2 price because they're ugly as hell, I'm sure, but boy, are they comfy!

What am I doing in dressage!? (Loving it! ;) )

KateWooten
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:34 PM
Yay ! I'm in....

1) I was uncertain whether my Rosie, the barely broke NSH, whose trot looks like she's stamping her tiny hoofs in disgust, was ready for the walk-trot.... and we retired just shortly after the salute. Her trot exit was the best !

2) I have two half arabs, two half QHs, two half gaited horses, and one tiny pony. All 4 together cost less than a pair of dressage boots.

3) Not only do I not have an indoor to school in, but the only flat piece of land I have access to, is not quite 20 m wide, and floods almost every week :)

4) I'm so poor that I go and announce at the local shows, in return for being allowed to use their arena to school... which is the only reason I know what happens at shows.

5) Nobody bats an eyelid to see me all dressed up in jodhoppers and short boots, even though I'm 40 :D (and no, alas, I no longer look 'cute' in them!)

Knothead
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:44 PM
Thank God I'm not the only one!!! :lol:

At least we admit it!!!!!!!

Knothead
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:47 PM
You have crossties??? wow.

LOL I don't even have the broken bones to blame...I'm just a weenie!

LOL. Well, I forgot to mention that one set of crossties sits in an aisle with tack trunks, saddle racks, etc. I consider myself lucky the farrier doesn't quit.

Akheron
Dec. 26, 2006, 06:55 PM
Well- I am new here- but had to pipe in- I fit this clique.

Not only do I ride the required Arab gelding- he lives with me. Not in some fancy barn- but in a 1/4 acre dirt turn out with shed. We have running COLD water. A hitching post- no crossties, wash stall, or indoor grooming area.

He is barefoot- and always has been. And has a long mane and GASP! no bridlepath. Hard to get it cut when there is no electricity to the barn most of the time...:eek:

He is as fuzzy as the 2 shetland ponies I also have. He does wear a blanket- but the sun has bleached it to tie-die blue and white. Poor guy. :no:

My dressage saddle is a cheap knock off that I bought for hardly anything. It IS safe, though, but far from good- and the saddle pad under it is a western blanket pad doing double duty.

My arena is another 1/4 acre lot with chain link fencing.

And I also pretend to do dressage because I'm too chicken now to do much else-

abrant
Dec. 26, 2006, 07:03 PM
1) An ever changing variety of OTTBs that I ride only because we are too cheap to employ a real rider (and no real rider would do what I do, lol, they're better than that).
a) I have access to a 3 year old warmblood, but I am too wimpy to ride her (but I willingly ride the OTTBs).
b) Current rides are the 17h chestnut who is "too dumb for dressage" and the 16h grey who is a saint but is generally grumpy lately. Also new 17h chestnut who I have determined to be an excellent dressage prospect because he has a "warmblood-ey head" (read: big).

2) No arena of any type - but lots of 1/2 acre paddocks! (set up to be a breeding/layup farm with individual turnout).
a) People feel so sorry for me after watching me careen about on said 17h thoroughbred in the mud that they find creative ways of offering me their arenas for free.

3) I have a Bachelors of Science but I cannot remember 10 consecuative things, like jumps or movements. But darn it, ASK ME about biochem!!

4) I have ridden three scored dressage tests. 43% (intro), 61% & 61% (green as grass).
a) I have proclaimed at the end of a ride, "I didn't die!"
b) My horses have proclaimed "neither did I!"

5) I understand what is right while respecting what is practical. The french-link is always right. The Dr. Bristol is sometimes practical.
a) I have experienced an Elevator Bit hangover. (As in, it felt good and I had a great time, but I woke up guilty and unhappy).

6) Form and accuracy, in my world, are mutually exclusive.

7) I DO own a dressage saddle, it cost $350. I went nuts after tax returns and bought a bridle to match that cost the same.

;)

~Adrienne

tarheelmd07
Dec. 26, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hmmm...anyone notice a trend here :lol:

3. We own a saddlebred, an Arabian and four quarter horses.

2) I ride a full-blooded American Saddlebred...a full-blooded, former rescue, known to throw in a few steps of rack when he gets mad Saddlebred :lol:

2.) My mount is a 20-year old Saddlebred rescue recently retired Amish buggy horse.

1) I was uncertain whether my Rosie, the barely broke NSH, whose trot looks like she's stamping her tiny hoofs in disgust, was ready for the walk-trot.... and we retired just shortly after the salute. Her trot exit was the best !

2) I have two half arabs, two half QHs, two half gaited horses, and one tiny pony. All 4 together cost less than a pair of dressage boots.

Hooray for Saddlebred dressage folks!:D

Sabine
Dec. 26, 2006, 11:49 PM
Hmmm...anyone notice a trend here :lol:

Hooray for Saddlebred dressage folks!:D

I was just going to say that...why do you all have such a chip on your shoulder?? I dont really get it ??

Dressage to me is dancing with your horse..it's like dancing with your man- you pick the man you like (someone else might think he's friggin ugly- but you thought you'd like him and love him and he's doing pretty good in the dancing department) and then you rock on....doesn't matter if you do it with diamonds and mercedes and fur coats and Cartier watches...can just be as well Walmart jewelry and a hyundai and a 20$ sports watch- it doesn't matter- it's about the soul and the spirit you have in you when you feel that harmony and better yet that energy...what can I say...it's silly to make a group- just because the ingredients are perceived to be not at par...WTF!!

I own a half saddlebred and he WILL be my new dressage star...and frankly I don't give a rat's a$$ about what anyone else says...they wouldn't dare to say anything because they know I AM determined....LOL!!!

twnkltoz
Dec. 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
That's exactly the point, Sabine...we don't fit the formula, but dammit we're going to do it anyway!

exvet
Dec. 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
Hee, hee, hee....well as usual I don't exactly fit in ....but....that is either clique/any clique.

1. I have dressage saddles, not one but 3 ranging in price from $300 - $2500
2. I have the clothes & boots which I've acquired over the years and fortunately am approximately the same size I was 20 years ago so my turnover rate is pretty low.
3. I have and ride an Arab mare that is 14 hands :eek: . My riding instructor - yes- I have one of those too (but she's Puerto Rican so the accent isn't quite right ;) ) informed me that despite having 3 good gaits is too small for me to show in the recognized shows. I asked her if she made my butt look big and she said no but that she still was too small for me to show in anything but Arab shows. :mad:
4. I have an arena with lights but no cover and just shy of being large enough for a full dressage court.
5. My other horses aren't considered "true dressage horses " (4 welsh cobs) either but then being more of the white trash variety of course it was to my unfortunate surprise I find that my latest acquisition a 21 year old swedish warmblood hasn't increased my class standing (socioeconomic) in life either :no: .
6. I haul into shows and usually don't stable to save a buck or two.
7. Oh and I work full-time, have two kids (who, damn me, I take to the shows too), and have the audacity to actually like riding with my kids.
8. I trail ride a ton - in full dressage tack - just no class and no fittin' in - not with the cowboys, the DQs, or the misfits :o

Sabine
Dec. 27, 2006, 12:02 AM
That's exactly the point, Sabine...we don't fit the formula, but dammit we're going to do it anyway!

but bear with me...whose formula is it? are you being railroaded by the proper DQs and if so- why??? there is no reason to fall into that trap..they are mostly much more timid, some of them are what I call ' bought and paid for' and therefore can't make their own decisions without asking hubbie for more funds...wtf- this is not even close to your league- don't get sidetracked by the bling...please!!! it is not important in dressage- the only thing that is - is getting your horse to love you- go on the bit and give you the best it's got...and DANCE with you...you wouldn't dance with your enemy, would you?

alacrity
Dec. 27, 2006, 02:10 AM
Sabine, I'm with you. :yes: Where did the outcast attitude come from in the OP? Obviously no one will succeed at much of anything if they look at themselves in this way. I always wonder why people overcomplicate dressage so much and covet the performance of pros (and their horses) as "the standard" to which all should be measured. My take is that the love of horses and sport is all-encompassing for those passionate about it, so we get very analytical trying to achieve "the dream". Which is great, I just hate to see it end in frustration and cliques like this one! If we empower ourselves with a better attitude maybe success will come easier?

That said, I'm starting the "I have as much right as anyone else to do dressage" clique!!! Feel free to join me! :lol:

tryhardeventer
Dec. 27, 2006, 02:14 AM
Oooh can I join too!
I definately fit in this group.
* OTTBs, one rather mad one who on last outing went plunging sideways through the warm up arena. I got sworn at a lot!
* I ride the mad one in my stubben all purpose as he is a bugger to stay on.
* I compete my quarter horse at level 3 and smile a lot coz he is such fun (even if he moves like a pony)
* Horses live out, no stables, no wash bays, no anything. They are pretty happy about it too....
* A few years ago, my OTTB and I were Level 2 champions beating some pretty flash beasties that cost a hell of a lot more than he did ($200).
* I ride in my dublin highlight helmet (you know the one with the silver stripe).
I try never to conform. I drive a battered landcruiser that tows an equally battered trailer. I dont have a trainer, but I do seek help from time to time when someone comes passing through the middle of whoop whoop Queensland.
* I am looking for a mule for my next dressage horse.

Sabine
Dec. 27, 2006, 02:37 AM
Sabine, I'm with you. :yes: Where did the outcast attitude come from in the OP? Obviously no one will succeed at much of anything if they look at themselves in this way. I always wonder why people overcomplicate dressage so much and covet the performance of pros (and their horses) as "the standard" to which all should be measured. My take is that the love of horses and sport is all-encompassing for those passionate about it, so we get very analytical trying to achieve "the dream". Which is great, I just hate to see it end in frustration and cliques like this one! If we empower ourselves with a better attitude maybe success will come easier?

That said, I'm starting the "I have as much right as anyone else to do dressage" clique!!! Feel free to join me! :lol:

Now I am more inclined to do that- although I am not a clique person- I agree with this concept a hell of a lot more....dressage is for everyone!!!
and it's good for you- just like your vitamins...how do you like that!! and
FU$$ the equipment peeps- who cares...as long as it doesn't hurt you or the horse- ride with a friggin persian rug for all I care...LOL!

arabdressage
Dec. 27, 2006, 02:50 AM
Oh, yep, I'm there too! The ONLY reason I am anywhere NEAR a dressage arena is because the horse I happened to get for a STEAL is very good at it. Much better than I am. Is there a "My Horse Knows More Than I Do" clique???

exvet
Dec. 27, 2006, 08:08 AM
My take is that the love of horses and sport is all-encompassing for those passionate about it, so we get very analytical trying to achieve "the dream". Which is great, I just hate to see it end in frustration and cliques like this one! If we empower ourselves with a better attitude maybe success will come easier?

Hmmm well just like in school and as I pointed out in my response I never and don't really belong to any clique. In terms of the attitude. Well I definitely have one. Chip on the shoulder? Yup guilty about that too. Without them would I be more successful? Well, again as was discussed in another thread about mount size/types of mounts/cost of mounts, it really depends on your definition of success. Personally I've been very happy with my accomplishments and the chip that I have is there because I achieved those accomplishment despite others' attitudes in regards to whether or not I could do it or should try to do it with the horses that I had/have. So far I've managed to achieve my personal goals (bronze medal, championships, dover medals and on the way have also achieved amateur highpoint awards, USDF all breeds, etc) and of course continue to work towards other goals (FEI). My attitude and chip, if you will, is that I have NO PROBLEM pointing out what I have achieved and am able to be competitive on a small (local/regional) scale despite the fact that I am middle class, older, work full time, ride short horses (arabs & welsh cobs), do all my own backing & training, and do not fit into the accepted standard of who or what should be able to compete. I want others to know that they can do it too and don't have to second mortgage the home to do it.

I guess I really must take some of what I said back. My riding instructor and I as well as a couple of her other students have formed a "group" ,if you will, who show together (well that we be a number of 2, or occasionally 3 who actually show and a handful of others who ride and come to the shows for moral support). We have no formal stable or riding area, nor do we board together; but, I had been after my riding instructor to get a logo and hang out a shingle because I think she deserves way more credit than she gets from our local dressage community. Well she hasn't exactly cooperated but we have managed to acquire a logo which we now have on some of our things - ball caps, polo shirts, banner, stall curtains, etc. Our group is called "Eclectic Dressage" - anyone care or dare to guess why? :lol:

twnkltoz
Dec. 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sabine and Alacrity: it's called a sense of humour. You might consider getting one some time.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 27, 2006, 10:58 AM
I have been overheard saying,"dumbblood" to mean "warmblood" at my barn. I am 5'2"and want a horse I don't need a pully system to get me on,as well as gaits I can sit without herniating all of my discs.

inca
Dec. 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
I have been overheard saying,"dumbblood" to mean "warmblood" at my barn. I am 5'2"and want a horse I don't need a pully system to get me on,as well as gaits I can sit without herniating all of my discs.

Well, I am 5'3" and own a very lovely 16.3hh warmblood mare that I bred and raised. She is a lovely, huge mover but is super easy to ride. I know some of the big movers are hard to ride but she is not. She is super light on her feet and always relaxed in her back - makes her a dream to sit. And I can and do get on her from the ground - no pulley system required! (I also use a mounting block at times but it's not THAT hard to get on her without one.)

I have never understood why people insist on calling them "dumbbloods." Like EVERY breed, there are good ones and also some bad ones. Yes, they are DIFFERENT than TBs or QHs but that doesn't make them dumb.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
Hand raising, some different reasons, but I can relate.

I'm WAY over wieght, out of shape, trying to get back into the serious dressage side (was BURNT out 3 1/2 years ago) along with major hormone changes and depression.

I have the horses that can do it (big fany WB's) that are like me, fat, out of shape!! LOL Well, I can't say that anymore, because I have been lunging them and keeping them in shape and trail riding them.

I do have a nice saddle.....but, it is dusty and screaming for attention.

I really need a PUSH..... it'd be nice to find a riding partner (besides my horse) to work with. Where I'm boarding, I'm the only one who comes out to see their horses. :(

I do NOT have a dressage arena right now.... and the arena I have to use, the footing is terrible. Thus, the trail riding. It is also small and a circle.

We are building a place (our home/ranch), well, that is up in the air now too due to our very slow engineer who has wasted a year and a half of our money. (We can't keep the horses on our place till the house is build, so we have been boarding 7 (started with boarding 27 HORSES)....we have now exhuasted our funds and don't know if we can start our house. So, depression is starting again.

So, that is where I'm at. UGH.

lark_b
Dec. 27, 2006, 12:01 PM
Hang in there Horsecrazy, are you anywhere near exvet? Maybe she can help motivate you! I know when I am depressed that it is REALLY hard to get moving and motivated to do ANYTHING, but once I do the momentum of it lifts my spirits and keeps me going... there is nothing like a great ride to make you want to go to the barn tomorrow, right? It's just that first step that is so hard... for you, I guess, it's both not having friendly facilities and also some depression over money.

Have you considered leasing out some of your horses (or all except one that you want to ride) for a while, just a free lease so that they can get worked and you don't have to pay for their board? Then you can take that one horse and move it to a place with the right facilities and simplify your life a little bit. I know lots of people who would be interested in leasing big fancy dressage horses for only the cost of board and care! I don't think you would have any trouble finding people to do it who would take care of them well.

SillyHorse
Dec. 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
Hee, hee, hee....well as usual I don't exactly fit in ....but....that is either clique/any clique.

3. I have and ride an Arab mare that is 14 hands :eek: . My riding instructor - yes- I have one of those too (but she's Puerto Rican so the accent isn't quite right ;) ) informed me that despite having 3 good gaits is too small for me to show in the recognized shows. I asked her if she made my butt look big and she said no but that she still was too small for me to show in anything but Arab shows. :mad:

Your trainer is wrong, wrong, wrong about this. Honestly, I don't know where some people get their ideas. Ask her to show you in the rule book where it says your horse is too small for recognized shows. Too small for the Olympics maybe, but not too small for ordinary showing.

equusrocks
Dec. 27, 2006, 02:28 PM
Finally, a clique for me!!

I'm sure I qualify. I ride a 15.2 Morgan X TB, who is a wide as he is short (much like his owner) I bought him in HS for $500. I don't even have a dressage saddle yet (it's on layaway and isn't more than what I paid for the horse) I ride in my trusty old C/C. I have a dressage bridle. I paid $5 for it on ebay. I love a deal. I don't have a ring hardly, I ride in his turnout which is about 80ft x 100ft. My brothers race car, 2 Dauphines in the process of being restored, an old (1972 or something) Ford Hydraulic Dump Truck (which doubles as my brush holding tack room, and still runs), and and a coal forge, are all parked in close proximity to the ring. I only ride when its not winter, and never on the trails because the machinery from the local quarry are always meandering up and down them...and are quite scary, especially to horses that think zippers, fly spray bottles, and cats are horse eating creatures.

fourhorses
Dec. 27, 2006, 03:06 PM
Well, sort of...
I have a warmblood, and tall boots, and pretty matching white polo wraps and a blanket, and not one but two expensive dressage saddles.

All, like me, are a bit out of shape, long in the tooth, and haven't had the cobwebs knocked off in far too long. We also do other things besides dressage (when one wants to school some little jumps and one is too lazy to change saddles, or doesn't have a more appropriate one, then you learn to hop over jumps or cross country fences in a dressage saddle -- which means one has the perfect excuse for being a weenie and not facing larger jumps!). Same goes for riding dressage in a western saddle -- a lot of the time I'm helping my kids with their stock horses, so the western stuff is the only thing on hand...shoulder in with a Cleburne y'all?

I have to school at a local rodeo ring which not only isn't the proper shape or dimensions of a dressage court, but usually there are barrels and poles set up all the time, when I actually get a chance to do it.

My hope is to actually go to a show, any show, probably the county fair next year, as proper dressage (or h/j, or events) are too far away, and I don't think my truck or trailer could make it, nor could my pocketbook stand the fuel bill -- as for time to do it, don't even go there, I've got four kids and have to work. Same goes for going to a trainer; the closest one is at least an hour away -- haven't had a proper lesson or clinic for at least three years now.

I usually end up riding in jeans (or Carhart's) and Doc Marten's and no riding gloves (and a NASCAR hoodie swiped from a family member!), well maybe some thermal work gloves in the winter, on the off days when I do acutally get to ride.

The only horse I have that was schooled above 2nd level was an Arab, who is now semi-retired.

Why do I still want to do this?
because I love it, and still hold out hope that one day, one fine day, I will actually get to school, clinic, lesson, and show at a proper dressage/event/h-j function -- and my clothes, equipment, horse, self will not fall to pieces due to age and lack of use!

there is just no way I could ever possibly be, or become, a DQ (although I shamelessly admit to desiring to try it at least once!).

TheOtherHorse
Dec. 27, 2006, 03:09 PM
Oh, me too!

I ride in a jumping saddle, on a mutt horse (STBxTBxQH), in my "arena" (aka uncovered, unlit, dirt/grass fenced area) :eek:

I don't have a dressage trainer (just an eventing trainer)

I show in my hunter attire (with a stock tie though! ;) )

I keep my horses at home, and they live outdoors 24/7 :eek: ...and my barn doesn't have a wash rack!

Rockfish
Dec. 27, 2006, 03:19 PM
I'm with you on point #4. Heck I ride in either of my h/j saddles, because it's what I got. No judge has remarked on it yet :cool:

murphyluv
Dec. 27, 2006, 03:23 PM
yup..me too.
*I have an app/arab (I'm guessing here) cross that is 15 hands high (small, fat and furry)...was trained to 1st level or so but after spring and summer of trail riding and occasional ring work (I worked at a camp) that has gone out the window..
*I ride in a close contact, am hoping for a dressage saddle but that will have to wait
*Have not taken lesson in a year and half...although I have taken lessons w/ some AWESOME trainers in the past.. this lack of instruction in the past year or so has lead to a gumby like position in the saddle
*said app moves like a pony and is having some soreness issues
*currently boarding w/ a dressage trainer who has politely avoided the discussion of giving me a lesson (I am basically working off board while I look for another job).. although I did exercise her horses while she was on vacation and she HAD to give me a brief lesson when I first rode them before she left..
*do not own a pair of white breeches, black jacket, or white gloves. boots are field boots. Will sell hunter show clothes soon..but dressage show clothes..yeah right, not unless I suddenly start showing recognized..
*have never shown in a recognized dressage show, if I ever show my current horse I guess (think schooling show) I will get a pair of pale tan breeches and wear a polo shirt.. hell no to wearing a black jacket in the summer if I don't have to..

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks Lark B!! I don't think I know exvet? EXVET, are you in Scottsdale?

I used to be a working student, different trainers, schoolling ==gosh for YEARS---like 15years! Poor mans way to get a ton of lessons and tons of horses to ride. I think I just got way burnt out. Plus, I started giving lessons, my whole life was feeding, working horses all day for others, then mine, then giving lessons, then cleaning my barn. Wake up and do it all over again. I also had the "local" arena, so the whole neighborhood would come and ride in the evening and of course want me to ride with them. That all started to stop when I met my husband who advised me on the possible law suits that I could have because of some of the crazy people riding not so broke horses. Then when I met him, he took me on a date that was an over night camping trip. I had NEVER done that before and fell in love with camping with horses. (and him) If you haven't done it---it is a blast!!!

My direction changed to having more fun instead of being so serious. I had a great deal of guilt about this for so long...thinking that I was wasting my horses. That guilt I THINK started to make me just not want to do anything----but, as always continued the soul relaxing care that I have always loved. The last year, I have rode more than I have in the last 3---so, that is good. I'm headed back in the right direction. I still remember everything I have learned and even being over weight, I still (thank God) feel balanced and able, it is just a matter of staying consistant.

I have thought about leasing them out, but I have done that in the past and it was TERRIBLE!!! Done it three times....all terrible. And that those were with really really good friends!!! :(

I have a person interested in my Sinclair B colt (who I haven't really advertised), so that will help with less work for me and more attention for him.
Hoping it works out.

OwnedbyOliver
Dec. 27, 2006, 04:27 PM

1. I have dressage saddles, not one but 3 ranging in price from $300 - $2500
2. I have the clothes & boots which I've acquired over the years and fortunately am approximately the same size I was 20 years ago so my turnover rate is pretty low.
4. I have an arena with lights but no cover and just shy of being large enough for a full dressage court.
5. My other horses aren't considered "true dressage horses " (4 welsh cobs) either but then being more of the white trash variety of course it was to my unfortunate surprise I find that my latest acquisition a 21 year old swedish warmblood hasn't increased my class standing (socioeconomic) in life either :no: .
6. I haul into shows and usually don't stable to save a buck or two.
7. Oh and I work full-time, have two kids (who, damn me, I take to the shows too), and have the audacity to actually like riding with my kids.
8. I trail ride a ton - in full dressage tack - just no class and no fittin' in - not with the cowboys, the DQs, or the misfits :o
I am 5'9", and competed a 14.1 hand Davenport Arabian stallion through 2nd level at open shows and he often won against "the big guys", regluarly getting scores in the 70's. I looked like I could have used roller skates riding him, but the judges didn't seem to hold it against us!

DocNDabby
Dec. 27, 2006, 04:31 PM
That said, I'm starting the "I have as much right as anyone else to do dressage" clique!!! Feel free to join me!

oooo, ooooh, can I play, too? :cool:

Well, I have two horses...the 15.3 QH who does beautiful Western Pleasure work in an English saddle and actually loves to learn dressage, but is ridden in a close contact....and a 16 OTTB ex-racer/ex-hunter who does NOT like dressage, but puts up with me learning it as I ride him in my Bates AP...while I'm decked out in my jeans, half chaps and old sweatshirts and $32 helmet...and we all do this in my pipestall "arena" that has no dressage markers, just cavaletti and cones...which is just dirt and full of rocks because I live in the foothills of a big ol' desert mountain that is nothing BUT rock.

Oh, and for that EXTRA touch of class, we ride like this at night in the sweltering Arizona summers with lighting provided by three HUGE bug lamps, one car lamp and a line of Malibu lights strung along my pipestall arena fence, too. Real class.

So, do I qualify????:uhoh:

lark_b
Dec. 27, 2006, 05:13 PM
I have thought about leasing them out, but I have done that in the past and it was TERRIBLE!!! Done it three times....all terrible. And that those were with really really good friends!!! :(

I think that might be part of the problem :). Remember how you aren't supposed to go into business with friends because they think everything is "friendly" and don't take you seriously, and then if there's a problem it becomes a personal thing? Well, don't lease your horses to friends, either. Same problem. If you become friends with the leasers, great, but you will always have started from that position of authority and you should always keep enough distance to put your foot down if you need to. Have a lawyer help you make up contracts (I mean, come on, 6 horses it's worth it right?) make sure they stay in an area where you can easily check on them as well as within state lines, and do a little advertising. I think it can work (if people weren't willing to lease horses I would never get to ride...) but you need to find the right people and maintain control. Think about it :).

alacrity
Dec. 27, 2006, 05:37 PM
As founder of the "I have as much right as anyone else to do dressage" clique, I have to say that I too have an underdog horse. He chose me, (totally against my will) but I had no choice... we "clicked". He's a 15h Arabian gelding that had a sucessful career in Western pleasure once but has Talent in dressage. I found him after a year of looking at 17h WBs.

My Hulsebos is in storage and I rock a dusty Wintec Isabell now because it fits my horse. My cherished bridle is in the tack trunk and I'm using a $50 eBay special. I'm the happiest with my riding that I've been in a long time because I'm doing my own thing, learning a lot, and I have an amazing partnership with my little horse.

Twinketoz, I'm not humorless, I think the thread is great for bringing out the underdogs in our sport -- those of us ammies who pay our dues in and out of the arena. I just put a more positive spin out there. :)

DocNDabby... you TOTALLY qualify!! :)

carolprudm
Dec. 27, 2006, 06:24 PM
5) Nobody bats an eyelid to see me all dressed up in jodhoppers and short boots, even though I'm 40 :D (and no, alas, I no longer look 'cute' in them!)
LOL, except I by long breeches and tuck them into my paddock boots. No half chaps. I have to admit that I have recently discovered deerskin seats to go along with my grab strap.

If I do want to ride somewhere flat, it's the front yard. I don't know how big it is.

I do have a generous Mr P, lovely dressage tack, and a mare who LOOKS like a dressage horse, until she starts to move.

I have been told it is pointless to return with her to the BNT clinics that I had been riding in.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 27, 2006, 06:47 PM
I was thinking.... I like like a dressage hillbilly when I ride!! LOL!! Old jeans with bleach spots on them, short boots, my half chaps don't fit right now and don't want to take the energy to put on the long boots...so, suffer the pinching. Big baggy t' shirts

Hoping that everyone will be looking at my horse not me....who I will dress up beautiful in all white polo's, my lovely saddle and bridle....groom up nice.....not me. LOL

carolprudm
Dec. 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
Forgot to mention I'm stout, fat and obese

DocNDabby
Dec. 27, 2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, HorseCrazy27---

It's beginning to look like there are just a few of us Arid-Zona "classy" I Have As Much Right As Anyone Else Dressagers posting here...um, are we a subset of the White Trash Dressage movement?:eek:

Personally, I like this easy-breezy approach to Dressage we have here in the Valley of The Sun...especially in the summer --- dunno about you, but those 1 a.m. rides in 100+ degrees while it's dark and the mosquitoes are buzzing right along with your horse and you...wow, can't beat that.:no:

I suggest a sub-clique for us. In fact, I've put it in my signature! No reason we can't subscribe to two different trashy Dressage cliques is there? Exvet...can you be our state President?
:D

And, CarolPrudm, I myself am short, and I mean SHORT, old and creaky. I don't like the white pants EITHER. AND, your "arena" out front of your house is TOTALLY classy, girl.;)

carolprudm
Dec. 27, 2006, 09:17 PM
I lie and say I an 5'5"

DocNDabby
Dec. 27, 2006, 09:36 PM
I lie and say I'm 5'2"...on a GOOD day, maybe!:D :lol:

KateWooten
Dec. 27, 2006, 10:15 PM
If I do want to ride somewhere flat, it's the front yard. I don't know how big it is.

Holy cow - are we twins ?

and a mare who LOOKS like a dressage horse, until she starts to move.

Yep, that's my Rosie ! And we've been asked not to return to the one-off, off-peak, SmallNT dressage lessons :)

Wash-racks ? $50 bridles ? Electric in the barn ? Wintec Isabell Saddles ? What are you people, a bunch of posh girls or what ? :lol: :lol: :lol: I mostly ride in a halter that came free with the $200 pony .. or a fancy $15 creation from India .. and the barn lighting frequently falls out of my hand when I'm dishing up feed, or retrieving errant pony or two from aforementioned front yard.

(I doubt anyone is English enough, or old enough, to remember .. but isn't this getting a lot like the 'three Yorkshiremen' skit ??? I just have to point out that I, having sold a 1000 sq ft, 23 ft wide,normal family house in London, now have, with just the profit from that, a house with a frontyard big enough to ride a horse in... and a back yard big enough to keep a horse in, and a barn. Which puts me a thousand years ahead of anywhere I could have hoped to have got, had I stayed in Europe)

exvet
Dec. 27, 2006, 10:27 PM
I don't think I know exvet? EXVET, are you in Scottsdale?

No I'm not in Scottsdale. Quite appropriate for this discussion and the white trash clique.....I live in New River.

I suggest a sub-clique for us. In fact, I've put it in my signature! No reason we can't subscribe to two different trashy Dressage cliques is there? Exvet...can you be our state President?

:lol:

I would love to but I must say and those from our great state who do know me will have to concur....I'm not considered socially acceptable in most circles. I would suggest another option but then maybe it's a trait that would make me a shoe-in?

For those who remarked about my riding instructor's comment and whether or not it's accurate - I do know where she's coming from and my filly's size does bother her a lot. However, she's been extremely helpful and rather tolerant of all I throw at her and expect to compete with (in public). First, I did buy this mare for my son but find her really fun to ride; so, we'll see what the future holds despite her attempts to remind me why I originally purchased this mare. Second, I did earn my bronze with my 15 hand Arab and have done reasonably well with one of my 14.1 hand welsh cobs so I'm aware that the height issue isn't "accurate" with respect to the rules or even some judges. I just got a call at my clinic today from the new owner of the 14.1 hand cob (sold him about one year ago). She just wanted to contact me and tell me how wonderful he's doing with her daughter. He's eventing at training level with the goal to move him up next year. She wanted to thank me again for the sale and for the training he came with - it made my day. So don't worry...if I feel the "need" I'll show the little mare with our heads held high and expect to be judged fairly - the score earned is usually appropriate :yes:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 28, 2006, 01:02 AM
Inca - FYI - I generally only say dumblood to PO the one person at our barn who has a broomstick up her butt. Who owns a wb.

So, does this make me more DQ like that I love to P her O?

Like so many other things, I'm not the perfect fit for this clique. I have an OTTB. However, he has scored high 60s and 70s through First Two. Even with me riding. I have a $2500 saddle. But it is treeless. I have Effingham boots. But they were $50 on ebay, and allow me to say, "I have my Effing boots on." We do have an $80 Herm Sprenger bit (now costs, what, $120?), but I am not good enough to ride with contact.

However, I am now the proud owner of a pad with a marshmallow peep on it.
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2481429640055187328NtIKvo
Which I will save for shows and clinics. It is a statement that proudly proclaims: "We are Peep Hos!"

twnkltoz
Dec. 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
but bear with me...whose formula is it? are you being railroaded by the proper DQs and if so- why??? there is no reason to fall into that trap..they are mostly much more timid, some of them are what I call ' bought and paid for' and therefore can't make their own decisions without asking hubbie for more funds...wtf- this is not even close to your league- don't get sidetracked by the bling...please!!! it is not important in dressage- the only thing that is - is getting your horse to love you- go on the bit and give you the best it's got...and DANCE with you...you wouldn't dance with your enemy, would you?
It's the people who say things like "PLUEZZE-look in the mirror- look at your backside- get a clue and then look at the horse...many nice saddle jocks- will come out and fit you and the horse and take your 3500 $$$ and smile all the way to the bank...LOL!" that inspired me to start this thread.

And, frankly, I do say fu** them, I have as much right as anyone to do it!

SillyHorse
Dec. 28, 2006, 11:24 AM
twnkltoz, any true DQ knows that it's "poseur," not poser! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 28, 2006, 11:43 AM
Hey, HorseCrazy27---

It's beginning to look like there are just a few of us Arid-Zona "classy" I Have As Much Right As Anyone Else Dressagers posting here...um, are we a subset of the White Trash Dressage movement?:eek:

Personally, I like this easy-breezy approach to Dressage we have here in the Valley of The Sun...especially in the summer --- dunno about you, but those 1 a.m. rides in 100+ degrees while it's dark and the mosquitoes are buzzing right along with your horse and you...wow, can't beat that.:no:

:D

And, CarolPrudm, I myself am short, and I mean SHORT, old and creaky. I don't like the white pants EITHER. AND, your "arena" out front of your house is TOTALLY classy, girl.;)

I'm in!!!

In the summer, I ride either really LATE or really EARLY!! Not quite that early!! LOL!!! See, your more dedicated !!!

I'm TALL and Fat.... any suggestions on healthy food that taste as good as the bad stuff?? LOL

I'll add it to my sig. now

Hilly billy dressage clique? LOL

lark_b
Dec. 28, 2006, 12:09 PM
I'm TALL and Fat.... any suggestions on healthy food that taste as good as the bad stuff?? LOL

Two words: Skinny Cow (http://www.skinnycow.com/).

Ibex
Dec. 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Oh, yep, I'm there too! The ONLY reason I am anywhere NEAR a dressage arena is because the horse I happened to get for a STEAL is very good at it. Much better than I am. Is there a "My Horse Knows More Than I Do" clique???

If there is, I'm in! I'm leasing my coach's crafty older school mistress who seems to greatly enjoy kicking my butt around the ring... :winkgrin:

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 28, 2006, 01:15 PM
Two words: Skinny Cow (http://www.skinnycow.com/).

I couldn' find them near me at all.....I'll start watching for them at the grocery store. :)

THANKS

DocNDabby
Dec. 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
I may have to alter my signature lines...I just GOTTA join the My Horse Knows More Than I Do Clique! :cool:

Gayla
Dec. 28, 2006, 04:01 PM
I formed a group for us.
Yahoo Group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Back_Yard_Grand_Prix/)

Bayou Roux
Dec. 28, 2006, 04:14 PM
Okay, the Rouxster & I just joined-- blue suede ropers & all! :lol:

twnkltoz
Dec. 28, 2006, 04:15 PM
Gayla, you're awesome...I'm in!

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'm in!! LOL

No one making fun of my over sized T's and spotty pants???? RIGHT??? LOL

Oh, the half in/half out pony tail, horse bugars on my face is my normal fashion too!

No dressage letters anymore, just a old sickle rode round pin to "train" in! LOL

Sebastian
Dec. 28, 2006, 04:53 PM
However, I am now the proud owner of a pad with a marshmallow peep on it.
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2481429640055187328NtIKvo
Which I will save for shows and clinics. It is a statement that proudly proclaims: "We are Peep Hos!"

I LOVE that!!!!!! :yes:

Seb ;)

equi-librium
Dec. 29, 2006, 09:41 PM
and i thought i was the only one who didnt fit in.. ;)

im at a super nice/fancy barn.. 4 of the dressage ladies/divas (for lack of a better word) who are always dressed as well as their horses, never a hair out of place, married to or are dr.s, or a vet.. have their saddles custom made for their $$$$ warmbloods.. i grew up riding with their KIDS!.. drive their brand new porches, mercedes, adn land rovers.. their truck and trailer combos are worth more than my HOUSE!

then theres me.. i think in someways i DEFINATLY fit in.. ;)

a) 14.3 foundation bred QH/ex-ranch horse, Not exactly your warmblood material.. but she thinks she is:winkgrin: and moves like one!
b) rode in an event saddle forever.. and is now replaced by..
c) older WELL used top quality dressage saddle.. the ONLY saddle i found that would fit both of us good..
d) found riding in hooded sweatshirts.. black breeches.. tall boots or half chaps... and a baseball cap 103.238923% of the time....
e) drive a truck 4 times older than my horse! (ok my "dressage" horse is 4.. do the math.. ;) )
f) said truck, pulls a steel horse trailer with large tackroom converted to LQ's. trailer is worth more than what i paid for teh horse..
g) lessons, massage therapy (human & horse), saddle fittings, and training to pay for my "dressage endeavors".
h) i am perfectly safe going on a trail ride without bringing along a cell phone and a first aid kit, or **gasp** riding outside the indoor arena...

and lastly, but most importantly,

i) the shear satisfaction in knowing that i acctually worked for what i have, rather than "paid" to get to where im at..

Emryss
Dec. 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'm in!

I have a Wintec dressage saddle (I bought my niece a nice one, though)
A pair of cordova paddock boots that I dyed black for a schooling show - the reddishness shows through on some lights now, so they need another layer of dye...
One white saddle blanket. The others vary.
One $40 QH that actually can kick some serious warmblood tail in dressage when ridden well by the right rider...who is not me, of course....
I do have a niceish bridle for Baron, though.

rainechyldes
Dec. 29, 2006, 10:04 PM
Lesse... Appy/Arab cross- sold my warmblood a lifetime ago. I posted his picture on the yahoo group (I couldn't resist) I ride at a barn of western uhm..cowboys, for lack of a better word. Leastwise unless you have a duster/drawl alot.. even though we are in Canada (wierdness) and know how to hogtie a horse with a lariat, you are just strange. Ring consists of the cornfield, and yes you do get to ride in the 'garden' all year, long as your horse avoids stepping on the zucchini. :) I ride in my aussie saddle -yes I am shamed by this, however it's the only saddle I have, and my horse atm is learning to do the basics of dressage in a sidepull, I've yet to bit him. lol.

tarnia
Dec. 30, 2006, 08:22 PM
LOL, what a great idea for a post!

I'm definitely with you, Equi-librium, on the "earned it, didn't buy my way in" ;)

Ok, so here's mine
1) I "lease" from a schooling barn. And not their nice, selective "dressage" horses...no, I lease schoolies...and I invariably fall in love with the ones least suited to dressage ;) (Though I am not picky...usually just happy to ride!)

2) I dress my horses in ridiculous colours (my black, male hanoverian cross wore shades of purple for a summer ;)). I will also wear bright colours myself.

3) I love trail riding and riding bareback.

3) After asking for a lesson from my barn's big dressage coach (not my coach-she has said to my face she thinks the horse I ride can't do it so i never bothered before), I got told by her that I was uncommitted and she didn't think I could ever ride under her.

4) Did I mention I lease? Pretty much whatever they have available, I will ride ;) Have done so for several years. Ppl that were just starting leasing and dressage when I was leasing and taking dressage lessons are now on the big high potential horses (whom rumour has it they can't ride...but can pay to ride!)....and I'm leasing a wiggly, CROOKED appy pony with a deformed palate ;). Here I thought I was MORE committed :sigh:-oh well, one of these days I will earn a high potential horse and a big dressage coach:sadsmile:

5) I ride in a stubben Tristan with no padding, no thigh blocks, and forward-set stirrup bars (really tests my leg position-have to loosen those ligaments baby! No just putting me there with this saddle!)

6) After two years I still like to carry my hands too low and canter with my upper body in front of the vertical:P. Getting better though :) And I have huge flexibility issues (been told prob has something to do with being 2 months premie and an emerg c-section:p)

7) I would rather have a less experienced coach that I am comfortable with and treats me with respect (i.e. that I can learn from), and a challenging but willing pony I can learn from than have a push-button horse (not that you can't learn from a more advanced horse) and a trainer who is inconsiderate, or one who just tells you to sit there, the horse will do it for you (which I can't).

and i thought i was the only one who didnt fit in.. ;)

im at a super nice/fancy barn.. 4 of the dressage ladies/divas (for lack of a better word) who are always dressed as well as their horses, never a hair out of place, married to or are dr.s, or a vet.. have their saddles custom made for their $$$$ warmbloods.. i grew up riding with their KIDS!.. drive their brand new porches, mercedes, adn land rovers.. their truck and trailer combos are worth more than my HOUSE!

then theres me.. i think in someways i DEFINATLY fit in.. ;)

a) 14.3 foundation bred QH/ex-ranch horse, Not exactly your warmblood material.. but she thinks she is:winkgrin: and moves like one!
b) rode in an event saddle forever.. and is now replaced by..
c) older WELL used top quality dressage saddle.. the ONLY saddle i found that would fit both of us good..
d) found riding in hooded sweatshirts.. black breeches.. tall boots or half chaps... and a baseball cap 103.238923% of the time....
e) drive a truck 4 times older than my horse! (ok my "dressage" horse is 4.. do the math.. ;) )
f) said truck, pulls a steel horse trailer with large tackroom converted to LQ's. trailer is worth more than what i paid for teh horse..
g) lessons, massage therapy (human & horse), saddle fittings, and training to pay for my "dressage endeavors".
h) i am perfectly safe going on a trail ride without bringing along a cell phone and a first aid kit, or **gasp** riding outside the indoor arena...

and lastly, but most importantly,

i) the shear satisfaction in knowing that i acctually worked for what i have, rather than "paid" to get to where im at..

vanheimrhorses
Jan. 1, 2007, 01:34 AM
oh i belong in here too, i have tall boots but cant afford to get them out of repair shop in middleburg va and i am in delaware, i dont have a horse to ride but just bought one on payments and will get him in the spring( lucky enough to get free turn out board until he is paid for) and he is half walker half hanoverian, i believe any horse can do dressage and will ride any breed in it, i too ride in an AP saddle and prefer the stubben kreffield i just lost mine from being swiped by BO at last barn i was at (beware of Crystal valley ranch in west virginia) i have ridden OTTB;s Arabians because i love them, half drafts who are suprisingly good, Trak, hanoverians, holsteiners, appaloosas, ponies for years in twenties when skinny enough and schooled them basic dressage, appendix QH but i am not fond of the QH movement at all sorry there, the best moving of the bunch so far I have ever ridden were a hanoverian by Graf Gotz and a Trak by Tarim

NOMIOMI1
Jan. 2, 2007, 11:30 AM
I ride an arab (purebred) and am learning dressage just now (yes this week)
I cant afford to even go to the rated show in a few weeks because of my broke down car.,
My last hunter was an appy.
I currently have a western appy and a sport horse Arabian
My friend trains me and she is not a trainer (even though she is good)
I practice in a western saddle most days (yes I still post and do test's_)
I ride in capris sometimes and get a leather burn LOL
I have no trailer and have to bum a ride to shows
I use western bridles with pelhams LOL
I use draw reins when IM lazy
I lunge with a whip and actually hit them (lightly) with it when they wont go
I use western spurs if I forget my english ones
I bit up my horses and leave them (15 min at the most) if they are being hard
I use barrels if my standards are too far (across the arena) for my jumps
I tie my reins in a knot around the girth if I dont have my side reins
I like thowing my horse away too much when I ride and teach my horses to stop like a reiner because its fun

NancyM
Jan. 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
Of the few dressage tests I have ridden lifetime, one was on a two year old filly (got scores and comments of being "on the forhand"- doyathink?), just for fun. Another on a half belgian mare who isn't a good mover, but oh so sweet and well mannered. Didn't know what the dressage judge was gonna think about that one. Came back with "nice obedient test" and an average mark, LOL almost died laughing, it was the perfect comment.

Kementari
Jan. 3, 2007, 05:29 PM
1) I am an eventer. (Need I go on? :p)

2) I own a 15.2 h OTTB and a 14.2 h Arab.
...a) I do not consider 15.2 hands to be "small." :eek:
...b) Did I mention I'm 5'8"?

5) My two horses together cost less than many people's saddles.
...a) $1600. Combined.

6) I do not own a dressage saddle.
...a) Both of my saddles together cost less than some people's bridles.
...b) I know you are wondering: Wintec 500 AP and no-name (literally) AP.

7) I do not wear fullseats, because I am afraid I would like them (and they are so much more expensive!).

8) I sometimes ride western.
...a) Even gymkhana.
...b) And I'm good at it. :o

9) I honestly do not care if I ever ride GP.
...a) I do this for FUN, darn it! :winkgrin:

And, the final nail in my coffin:

10) I actually believe that despite all this I (and my horses) have something to offer to the dressage world, and that I am worthy of both having AND expressing opinions on issues both big and small, EVEN THOUGH I never have ridden in the Olympics. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rooty
Jan. 3, 2007, 05:58 PM
Well I won't say I don't have any business doing dressage :lol: and I do have a good horse and the saddle to match, so what I will say is I am obviously not a DQ because:

Said expensive horsie is turned out all day with *gasp* 4 other geldings. One of whom he occasionally has wrestling matches with that if you wanted to film a "stallions fighting" scene they would fit the bill. Both of them, right up in the air at each other, I watch this from between my fingers in horror, but he needs to be a horse. I would like to have him out overnight, but it isn't offered at this barn.

My riding clothes only ever match by accident (and often downright clash), I only brush my hair before riding on occasion, and never for that purpose.

I have never even ridden in a pair of full seats, far less owned them. All my breeches are secondhand, some don't even have knee patches, and the knee patches on the show breeches are torn and stained. OK, there are stains in other places too.

I wear a saladbowl helmet with a bright green cover. I show in the saladbowl, although I do remove the cover for such occasions.

The jacket I wear to the barn in spring and fall is more rips than jacket. The stuffing is hanging out the back.

I wear furry purple polka dotted earmuffs over a hoodie from October until May.

The indoor arena (OK, at least there IS one) is so full of hay that it's dimensions are 15m x 30 m. My coach says this is improving our accuracy. I tell him that's just an excuse for not getting his new barn built.

There is no proper dressage ring. We do have letters painted on to traffic cones with plastic flowers strapped to them though!

Kementari
Jan. 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
I forgot to add (Rooty's post reminded me), that our dressage letters are traffic cones, too - and a jaguar ate the judge at C. :eek: :eek: :eek: We haven't bothered to replace him (the judge), but have had to make a rule about watching where one is going when one is driving the tractor, to avoid future cases of the munchies. :lol:

LuvaLippy
Jan. 3, 2007, 06:28 PM
Did it in a Wintec! I rode FEI for years in a battered old synthetic wintec. That saddle fit my lippy great and I think I spent about $300 on it. Its about the riding not the tack!

kkj
Jan. 3, 2007, 07:03 PM
I was thinking.... I like like a dressage hillbilly when I ride!! LOL!! Old jeans with bleach spots on them, short boots, my half chaps don't fit right now and don't want to take the energy to put on the long boots...so, suffer the pinching. Big baggy t' shirts

Hoping that everyone will be looking at my horse not me....who I will dress up beautiful in all white polo's, my lovely saddle and bridle....groom up nice.....not me. LOL
Well I don't know that I fit in. I am 5'10" and fit and have a very fancy 17 hand warmblood and board at a nice facility with a gorgeous indoor, mirrors, rubber footing etc, an FEI and horse of the year winning trainer and lots of wealthy clients. However, I like you guys and I like the attitude and sense of humor. I will put on the worn out jeans and go out on the trail with you anytime.

As long as you are enjoying your horse and your horse is enjoying you it is all good. I would rather hang out with some super fun arab riding overweight people than hang out with the super uptight DQs anyday. However, I have found that there are very down to earth non judgemental people riding in expensive saddles on fancy horses too.

SuperSTB
Jan. 3, 2007, 07:12 PM
Can one be in the clique if they have second level dressage horse but does not ride dressage?

Honestly I've taken a few dressage lessons in my life and know... well just enough to look like an idiot if I "try a few moves" (okay I sound like a idiot too!)

Geez I've got 2 mares that have solid dressage training and here they are with me the trail rider who occasionally throws western saddles on them for guest hacking :O

Anyone want to ride dressage as CA Equine Affaire 2008? Got a mount for ya!

Ohhhh but I do have a dressage whip :D

ClaraLuisa
Jan. 3, 2007, 08:08 PM
And since I am sitting around not riding (what a waste of breath) I will add to my list:

I have been known to school over fences with a dressage whip. Very handy.

And my trainer the evil German likes to do changeups...as in, show up for a dressage lesson and get told "No, we're jumping today...well, just warm up and then take the curb rein off." And the sad fact is I probably look less silly that way than pfoofering around with the double. Wait...does that mean HE has no business doing dressage?!...wait...doesn't seem right...

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 4, 2007, 08:23 AM
Arena? We are supposed to have an arena!!???

juliab
Jan. 4, 2007, 08:41 AM
I formed a group for us.
Yahoo Group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Back_Yard_Grand_Prix/)

On my way to join the group. This describes me perfectly :) I started dressage at the age of 48 on a green, 15.2 hh, OTTB mare. She is downhill and toes in slightly, but despite that is a great mover and tries her heart out. She learns much faster than I do! If we ever win at Training 1 at a schooling show, I'll be in heaven :) But I'm very happy just riding and schooling and learning together.

twnkltoz
Jan. 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
Well I don't know that I fit in. I am 5'10" and fit and have a very fancy 17 hand warmblood and board at a nice facility with a gorgeous indoor, mirrors, rubber footing etc, an FEI and horse of the year winning trainer and lots of wealthy clients. However, I like you guys and I like the attitude and sense of humor. I will put on the worn out jeans and go out on the trail with you anytime.

As long as you are enjoying your horse and your horse is enjoying you it is all good. I would rather hang out with some super fun arab riding overweight people than hang out with the super uptight DQs anyday. However, I have found that there are very down to earth non judgemental people riding in expensive saddles on fancy horses too.

How about this: you can be the Barbie member (that b*tch has everything!), since you like us and don't look down your nose at us, despite having it all? ;)

Zevida
Jan. 4, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm with the camp that says anyone, anywhere can do dressage, but just for fun, here are the reasons I have no business doing dressage:

I do have a 17+ hand warmblood, but he's really an unregistered Oldenburg crossed with a tank of an Appendix QH (really, that was her name, Tank), who apparently was so awkward and ugly as a baby that instead of taking him to inspections and selling him as a foal like most of her horses, the breeder let him "grow up" before finally having him broke by a cowboy and then sent to dressage training.
When riding before or after work, I regularly only pick feet and brush the areas where the saddle and bridle go. For example, this morning my horse was covered in mud as far as the eye could see, but that's all he got.
I've come to realize that I prefer a good trail ride or hack out to a dressage show.
I'm fat - really, really fat! :yes:
No indoor, just an outdoor, shaped in a rectangle with dressage letters, but way to wide and too long to be a servicable dressage arena.
I couldn't afford to board at the fancy training barn with my trainer even if I wanted to.
I'm lucky to get three lessons a month - I've started to go for weeks at a time without. I'm just lucky to have a trainer who will travel to me that often, because yes...
I have no truck and trailer, though I do get to borrow my mom's on occassion.
I currently ride in my sister's saddle and I hope that she stays overseas for many more years so that I do not have to buy my own saddle; it seems that saddle fitters can only recommend saddles with a $3k+ pricetag (and this wasn't even a dealer!)

Equus34
Jan. 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
I too can't afford $3,500 for a dressage saddle, nor do I plan on purchasing a 5 figure horse to put under that dressage saddle. I just want to become the best equine partner I can with what ever horse I throw a leg over.

To do that you don't need a 4 figure saddle and a 5 figure horse. But it does take work, and a lot of work. I teach the balance seat at one of the local stables in my area. And over the winter I like to take students back to the bare basics. Bareback basics that is.

Riding bareback over the winter is not just warmer but a great way to really make sure you are using your body correctly. You don't need a 4 figure saddle to get your leg in just the right spot. But you do need to work at it. I have seen riders over the years that had a very poor seat on a horse go out and spend 4 figures on a saddle and think that just because they put this expensive saddle on their horse they will become a more effective rider. NOT!!!

It takes time and patience, thats all there is to it. Become a more balanced efficient rider and your form will imporove. I always say "Form follows function."

OnyxThePony
Jan. 4, 2007, 12:51 PM
Mua-hahahha! I now own a a bit I"ve been told "has NO place in Dress-aaaahhhhhge"*. Seeing as I can't even qualify that statement, I have definately now earned my "Poseur" colours. Or is that Rebel Dressage colours??

*apologies to the poster who wrote that in my other thread for poking fun at them:D It's not a attitude I can even fathom, much less agree with. Then again I doubt you're reading this thread, and IF you are, then I assume you have a good sense of humour and I am wrong about 'attitude'!! :lol:

LD1129
Jan. 4, 2007, 01:45 PM
Im in!!!

1. I have a grade Appendix (from auction who used to drive an amish buggy) my old trainer told me and I quote "that horse will never be able to do dressage ever".
2. I ride in my cc saddle :lol:
3. I can not for my life sit my canter (many many years of Hunter/Jumper)
4. I hope to do eventing so dressage is a must.
5. Im scared to put my big but in white jods :no:

mp
Jan. 4, 2007, 01:53 PM

I'm a little bit of a misfit, too. Let's see where I rate on the DQ scale ...

I board at a wonderful facility -- nice indoor with mirrors and and two huge outdoor arenas. (+2 points)
But it's not a dressage training barn. Most of the people are into trail riding and I had to paint the letters on the arena railing. (-1)

I have an expensive, custom-made saddle (+3).
I had it made for my horse, who was described by the saddlemaker as a whisky barrel on legs.
Did I mention he's an Arabian? (-2)
Did I mention I have six more at home? (-3)

The saddle is not black (-3)
Although it's built on a dressage tree, it has short billets and flaps (-2).
I had it made that way so I could show in dressage, go to breed shows and trail ride in it, which I also enjoy. (-3)

I'm average height, fit and not overweight, but no longer slender ... sigh (0).
I look nice when I go to the barn --
clean breeches, polished boots, polo shirt/riding vest, horsey baseball cap to hide helmet hair. (+4).
I groom the hell out of my horse before riding because he's gorgeous and I want him to look nice, too. (+3).
I never ride in jeans -- they'll discolor and wear out the French calf seat on my saddle. (ooooh, +2 for that remark alone).

that leaves me with a score of .... ummmm ... zero. I guess I'm in. ;)

I have found that there are very down to earth non judgemental people riding in expensive saddles on fancy horses too.

One of my favorite show buddies is absolutely loaded and has the best of everything. We're talking private jet wealthy. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer or more down-to-earth person. She likes to party, too. ;)

Frog
Jan. 4, 2007, 02:31 PM
Ok Ok I don't belong here at all as I don't ride dressage, or anything right now. I just wanted to say...
Y'all sound fun!!!

Dawn J-L
Jan. 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
I suspect I may be a member (though I resist belong to any clique--I'm too much of a loner/independent thinker to be part of any crowd <wink>)

1) 10 years ago I sold my 17.1 Hand super talented 3 year old DWB to buy an Arab and I haven't regretted it.

2) Currently riding a coming 21 year old 14.0H Arab mare that I started under saddle at 19.

3) In a treeless saddle (original Ansur Classic from 1999--in spite of numerous consults with several well respected saddle fitters I still can't find any treed saddle to fit and/or that my horses don't get restricted in the shoulder/tight through the back in)

4) I do have an outdoor, but it's only 65ft square 'cuz that's all the room I had for it.

5) Not only do I ride Arabs, but I'm breeding them now--with the belief that they have the ability to do upper level dressage well.

6) I do have a barn, but it's one of those greenhouse types. The stalls (built for foaling) are currently filled with hay, 'cuz I don't have separate storage for hay. There are no cross ties or wash stalls or dressing rooms.

7) I do ride with an instructor, but she likes my Arabs so perhaps there is something wrong with her ;-)

8) I trail ride too and think that some jumping could be fun--maybe even a field trial or hunter pace

CowgirlDressage
Jan. 4, 2007, 03:38 PM
1) I ride a very loud black tobiano Paint gelding
2) do have a loverly saddle, but found it on eBay & it came with stick-tite all over both flaps...hence the more than loverly price of less than $500 :lol:
3) outdoor arena, no sand footing & not regulation
4) when I get to the schooling shows it's in my DH's company logoed truck & pulling a non-color coordinated used trailer (gasp!)
5) no trainer...I get tips from DH and his best friend...they're both former reiners, though the friend is really coming along with WBs and in the dressage world lately & DH did ride dressage for 10 yrs.
6) my fave schooling pad has hot pink ribbon with flamingoes on it around the edge...ha...and my good pad I have only because my daughter bought it for me :lol:
7) I don't own a show shirt or jacket

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 4, 2007, 03:53 PM
I get the feeling we're supposed to have barns in addition to arenas! I'm doomed! Don't run-in sheds count? And I'm (GASP) starting my own youngster (spent training money on vet bills for her mother whom I lost). Oh, and she's a homebred. Guess maybe I should crawl back in my hole. :lol: Truthfully, I'll be thrilled if I ever get in the show ring at training level but, I do enjoy dressage (if that's what you can call what I do). :D

Dawn J-L
Jan. 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
I get the feeling we're supposed to have barns in addition to arenas! I'm doomed! Don't run-in sheds count? :D

AFAIK, having a barn (particularly a well appointed one) calls into question the suitabilty for membership in the "I have no business doing dressage clique". Run-in sheds are an entirely different matter. I have four of those myself --just came back in from mucking them out.

exvet
Jan. 4, 2007, 06:19 PM
AFAIK, having a barn (particularly a well appointed one) calls into question the suitabilty for membership in the "I have no business doing dressage clique".

Hmm got an Arab but also got a barn. Yet another group where I don't quite fit in. Oh well, I just keep on marching to my own drum :yes:

Dawn J-L
Jan. 4, 2007, 06:40 PM
AFAIK, having a barn (particularly a well appointed one) calls into question the suitabilty for membership in the "I have no business doing dressage clique".

Hmm got an Arab but also got a barn. Yet another group where I don't quite fit in. Oh well, I just keep on marching to my own drum :yes:

I don't think that any one factor qualifies or disqualifies one for this "club", it's the overall picture that matters. There's no policing of this anyway. ;-) I'm defnitely sure that I've got no authority to make judgments on people's qualifications.

KateWooten
Jan. 4, 2007, 06:58 PM
ummm... I have a barn (-3), well, it's a cow-shed made of corrugated iron (+1?), and I moved a whole load of junk old chicken nesting boxes, goat pens etc to convert it to two stables and a bit of a feed room... and most of the feed room is too low to stand up in ... and there's no barn aisle, cross-ties, water, or electricity .. so can I stay ? Also, I had a dressage lesson once. And I now own more than one bit. And two bridles. (between 4 horses, but, in my defence, neither cost more than $20 :D )

P.R.E.
Jan. 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
Is a bummer, I can't be part of the group, you are real fun and with great sense of humor. It would be great that some riders I know will trade one of their bridles for some sense of fun.;) ;)

ScotTNMe
Jan. 4, 2007, 08:57 PM
Can I join the clique?? I qualify because:

1. I lease two old school horses in their late teens. I've reached the stage where I'm not ashamed to admit I LOVE the bombproof, kidproof, old ladies horses and am willing to get down and kiss their saintly hooves!!

2. One of the horses I ride is a nice Trakehner who is actually TRAINED and wow what a treat to be able to ride something that knows what he's doing! Maybe one day I'll even learn to ride him properly . . . !

3. I still get confused about where I'm going and exactly how big that 20 meter circle should be :sadsmile: .

4. I've never shown in a "real show" and never shown above Training Level and likely never will!

5. I can count on one hand the times I scored over 60% (and then it was probably my old guy's cute factor kicking in and/or the judge was feeling generous that day :lol: !!)

6. I have an ancient rock-hard Passier saddle that somebody tried to dye black; now it's kind of a mottled brown. It's been sitting at home on the back of a kitchen chair for the past couple of years.

7. I own off the rack Boulet boots that are pretty much bottom of the barrel quality but what the heck as I only wear them about twice a year! My jacket I got second-hand for $75.

8. I'm resigned to becoming (or may be already) known as "one of those old ladies who just putzes around" . . . oh the shame of it all . . . :eek:

JCS
Jan. 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
Let me be the third (or fourth) to say, Thank God I'm not the only one!!

1. My beast is a QH/TB cross that was donated to a university at some point before he came to me, if that tells you anything about him.
2. I hate my dressage saddle, can't feel right in it. (Which, BTW, I bought on eBay for $350!)
3. My neighbor gave me a 20-year-old Western roping saddle he had in his garage, and I am so psyched to go out trail riding in it in the spring.
4. My "arena" is a vaguely 20ish by 120ish section of rolling pasture, fenced in by a strand of electrobraid (not charged, of course) and fiberglass posts. It has many rocks and mud pits. Artax, nooooooo!!!!
5. I haven't pulled the beast's mane in months
6. Yes I ride in Ariats, half chaps, and jeans and I LIKE IT.
7. My "show boots" for someday in the future when I may show, are old crappy hundred-dollar field boots from when I was in IHSA.

So happy there are others like me in the world of the COTH dressage board. Sometimes it is a scary place here. :no:

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 5, 2007, 08:18 AM
We're supposed to pull manes too? I guess that means we are also supposed to clip. Guess I definitely fit in here. :D The ONLY strike against me is that my girls are all Anglo-Traks but all of them are out of OTTB mares so I guess I'm still ok. ;) http://web.centre.edu/dajones/ I run a hose from the house to the pastures and no electric anywhere near the run-in sheds, no barn, no ring so that definitely fits the picture.

twnkltoz
Jan. 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
I couldn't possibly pull Molly's mane! It's her best feature!

Bluey
Jan. 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
You can always make a french braid out of all that pretty long mane. :cool:

---"5) Not only do I ride Arabs, but I'm breeding them now--with the belief that they have the ability to do upper level dressage well."---

Ever heard of Hector Carmona? He bred and trained arabians for dressage.

Dawn J-L
Jan. 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
(snip)
---"5) Not only do I ride Arabs, but I'm breeding them now--with the belief that they have the ability to do upper level dressage well."---

Ever heard of Hector Carmona? He bred and trained arabians for dressage.

Yes. :-)

I also recently discovered that one of the bloodline combinations (Rissalix/Oran) that I am using to build my foundation herd produced a PB Arabian horse that represented Great Britain in international dressage competition (FEI) in the '70's.

Still, that was then and this is now, so I'm safely out of the loop of those doing "real dressage" in this Golden Age of the WB. ;-)

Wellspotted
Aug. 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
I've been trying to get up the nerve to start a thread on this forum asking if anyone else does dressage in a western saddle. Found my answer here--at least at one time at least one other person has done dressage in a western saddle!

I love this thread!

I wish you could all board at the barn where I ride. It's crawling with--well, not exactly DQs ('cause none of them compete)--women who ride big WBs and TBs and Baroque breeds in proper dressage saddles with proper tall boots.

They're nice people, and their horses are nice. But I go out on "my" QH in our western saddle (with which I don't need half-chaps, let alone tall boots) and we do dressage. (Working our way up to Introductory level.) We're happy, and each time we get together we accomplish something.

But sometimes I wish we had more companions like you and your horses to ride with. Maybe we have no business doing a pas de deux or quadrille--but we'd love to do them anyway!

slc2
Aug. 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
this is one clique i won't join.

not even as a statement would i join. everyone has 'business doing dressage', all they need is to want to do it.

spotted mustang
Aug. 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
hehe:

1) long-backed, downhill-built appaloosa
2) 500 $ Wintec saddle, 50 $ bridle
3) jogging pants (why are riding pants so uncomfortable anyways?) and half-chaps
4) have all the ODG dressage books and have read them all! some twice!
5) dream of taking lessons with a REAL trainer some day
6) but I live in the boondocks and no real trainer within 2000 miles
7) lull myself to sleep at night by riding freestyles in my head

hundredacres
Aug. 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm in too!

* I ride a Standardbred - who was snatched out of a kill pen less than 2 years ago (I realize there is practically no need to add anything from here, but I will for sh!ts and grins).
* The horse I rode before the STB was a Percheron. Again...I could stop now, but.....
* I do have a nice pair of deer skin breeches but I treat them like I do my other clothes...so they are stained. And I don't own a white pair.
* I don't own a pair of tall boots...probably never will unless I find a pair on ebay REAL cheap. Then I'll wreck those too, just like my nice breeches.
* I have a grass arena that is slopey...I painted letters on the posts myself, to impress all my non-dressage friends and family (that is, um, all of them).
* I buy my gloves at TSC...and the index fingers are always split and I like them that way.

~Freedom~
Aug. 12, 2007, 06:07 PM
1. I can't afford a $3500 saddle, $700 boots, or $400 coat.--Almost.

2. My arena is not covered so isn't useable half of the winter and *GASP* I don't have a dressage court to practice on! No indoor arena.

3. I ride an arab, 'cause I want to and not just because I can't afford a $50K imported warmblood. Rode Arabs now WBs.

4. I ride in an AP saddle because I haven't found the right dressage saddle yet. I have a dressage saddle

5. I post annoying answers on bulletin boards. True

hundredacres
Aug. 12, 2007, 06:08 PM
AFAIK, having a barn (particularly a well appointed one) calls into question the suitabilty for membership in the "I have no business doing dressage clique". Run-in sheds are an entirely different matter. I have four of those myself --just came back in from mucking them out.

I do have a barn...but no hot water or wash rack, and chickens roost above and crap on everything (even the horses from time to time). That has to count for some points against my barn!

hundredacres
Aug. 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
Ok....I found a visual...I belong to this click because this pair looks better than me :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuxkBSzehpw

:)

Welkin007
Aug. 12, 2007, 07:31 PM
I'm so in!

1. I ride a 16h OTTB who's 16.1h at the butt
2. He moves like a hunter
3. I rode in a no-name Argentine all purpose saddle that didn't fit me or my horse for a year, that my trainer gave to me free (out of pity).
4. I still haven't paid off my $600 collegiate Jessica
5. I show in field boots, *gasp*
6. I don't own a coat. I have a single pair of white breeches I'v worn 2 times in the last 5 years.
7. I just got a black dresage bridle for my birthday, no more fancy-sticthed brown bridle for me
8. I'm really poor, did I mention that?
9. I clean stalls on Sundays to pay for my board, and I still have to pay $100. But my barn is heated, take that!
10. I'm so poor my trainer sometimes trains me and my horse for free. I "pay" him back by showing when I can and doing well, then telling people who my trainer is.

I started dressage to learn how to ride better, and when I got my OTTB to get some solid flat work in. Now, I'm hooked, my unsuitable gelding is doing fab at our schooling shows, I even broke down and bought white polos (TSC on sale).

My trainer did say I needed to buy a new saddle pad to show in for our schooling show championships, which is rather sad, since I haven't bought a new pad in 6 years.

Bogey2
Aug. 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
1. I ride a 16h OTTB who's 16.1h at the butt

:lol::lol::lol:

been there done that!

pvcjumper
Aug. 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
ooh! Me too! I like to think I know what I am doing, but I know I don't. I get freebie dressage lessons by watching other peoples dressage lessons and trying to imitate it on my own horse...in a jumping saddle, in a hunter bridle, and with no impulsion still!

See picture for proof! (we are trying though, just started maybe since june.)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2719884660093220137iyOeYW?vhost=good-times

twnkltoz
Aug. 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
this is one clique i won't join.

not even as a statement would i join. everyone has 'business doing dressage', all they need is to want to do it.

Exactly my point in starting this thread all those months ago! I was being sarcastic...I forget exactly why, but I think someone was being snarky about someone not "doing dressage right" or something. :) Anyone can do dressage...we may not all go GP, but we can all enjoy it at one level or another, no matter how we choose to go about it!

sherie
Aug. 20, 2007, 10:24 PM
well, I've already been skewered on another thread for the mere suggestion that due to the faltering economy for the middle class, mother necessity will bring rise to a class of affordable alternative breeds that, maybe not today, but with intelligent breeding, will soon avail to us plebians{sp?} a truly american ,competitive horse that's also fun and dideable. The people who know me, know my story of how I had it all growing up; lessonf with olympians, a grand prix imported stallion, int"l travel to riding scholls etc. , until one day the other shoe dropped and turns out, my dad's lawyers didn't pay the taxes like they said they did. and they absconded with trust funds, AND the FBI grabbed my 80 yr. old father, the IRS took what wasn't stolen by lawyers who consequently fled the country etc. Well. my life as a dressage queen ended rather abruptly. I had to sell my family raised self trained fei horse to get me and my children a few months of spending money and an apt. Well, the moral or point of this story is that I found my sense of humor, I now train professionallly ANY breed, I'll ride in a bareback pad and still do tempis and pirouettes etc. as good anyone. Actually, I've found more joy and pride in bringing out the potential in project horses and morgans and appy's etc. I enjoy myself more now , accepting that I am no longer"elite". It's okay and dressage is for everyone and every horse .So what if I never make "The Team". Beauty and joy is in every horse and a true horseman will discover it and celebrate it.

danee
Aug. 21, 2007, 12:02 AM
This is the best thread I've seen on this forum!!!
1.) My saddle is a used Wintec ($125 baby!), but most the time I don't use it and ride bareback anyway.
2.) I love to take my horses to roping night and do half passes between the steers (too much fun!)
3.) I have ridden barefoot
4.) Despite breing half Friesian, the "other" half of my mare is Sadle bred and she is only 14.1h!
5.) I married a cowboy
6.) I like to ride on 4th of July and Janury 1 because our neighbors set off really big firreworks
7.) I don't know where the longline goes http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u206/savvydanee/flankcircletrot.jpg
8.)There is electrical tape on my bridle
9.) I *GASP* DO PARELLI!!! (shhh, it's a secret cult thing!)
10.) I don't sit on my crotch.
11.) I do Spanish Walk on purpose
12.) I ride in the same pasture our other horses are turned out in
13.) In the summer there is not piped water where we keep our horses so after a workout I send my horse into the stream and she rolls:cool:

Sabine
Aug. 21, 2007, 12:53 AM
Exactly my point in starting this thread all those months ago! I was being sarcastic...I forget exactly why, but I think someone was being snarky about someone not "doing dressage right" or something. :) Anyone can do dressage...we may not all go GP, but we can all enjoy it at one level or another, no matter how we choose to go about it!

Still having a hard time getting YOUR style of humor- but trying anyhow...is it a matter of money or physical size or perceived fitness or style of horse or what- or is it just a giant chip on your shoulder...???Honestly- I just wonder...??

I am not a DQ- so don't try to push me in that direction...LOL! Not a friend of cliques anyday- because they don't do anything for me...:(- I guess they somewhat justify a perceived shortcoming...but that's all in your head anyways- therefore invalid in the first place...tiny Arabs have won GPs...who cares about the breed - the saddle and how the frick you got there- as long as you enjoy the journey and love your horse??

danee
Aug. 21, 2007, 01:10 AM
Exactly my point in starting this thread all those months ago! I was being sarcastic...I forget exactly why, but I think someone was being snarky about someone not "doing dressage right" or something. Anyone can do dressage...we may not all go GP, but we can all enjoy it at one level or another, no matter how we choose to go about it!

I get it:D:lol::D:lol:!!!!!

Sabine, have you never met the snobby dressage rider who accuses everyone else of doing everything wrong? ...From how you ride a shoulder-in to the position of your horse's poll to which shampoo to use in a horse's tail? The ones who believe they are in the "better than average horse owners" clique. This thread is all about showing that thoses cliques are stupid and that dressage is for everyone! (even us Parelli cult people!!!) Uh, that's another sarcastic joke... sorry but it isn't really a cult, we just like to laugh when others call it that:D:D:D:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

Sabine
Aug. 21, 2007, 01:14 AM
I get it:D:lol::D:lol:!!!!!

Sabine, have you never met the snobby dressage rider who accuses everyone else of doing everything wrong? ...From how you ride a shoulder-in to the position of your horse's poll to which shampoo to use in a horse's tail? The ones who believe they are in the "better than average horse owners" clique. This thread is all about showing that thoses cliques are stupid and that dressage is for everyone! (even us Parelli cult people!!!) Uh, that's another sarcastic joke... sorry but it isn't really a cult, we just like to laugh when others call it that:D:D:D:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

Thanks Danee- now I get it- I said I am a bit slow in the uptake...LOL! I have met these folks but usually tune them out in 2 seconds after I meet them...I rarely hang around and chat..(bad me) - I have too little time and rather spend time 'manicuring my horses stall' than talking to one of those dumb twits...LOL! I do talk to my vet and some trusted friends...but try to stay neutral otherwise...- I guess I am boring...:(

danee
Aug. 21, 2007, 01:28 AM
Whhheeeewww,
I wasn't sure how you would take my post. I'm glad to see you seem to get what I meant! After posting I was a little scared I worded it stupid!

Oh well, I'm already covered in mud and tomatoes from the Parelli bashing thread!!!:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

Sabine
Aug. 21, 2007, 01:37 AM
Whhheeeewww,
I wasn't sure how you would take my post. I'm glad to see you seem to get what I meant! After posting I was a little scared I worded it stupid!

Oh well, I'm already covered in mud and tomatoes from the Parelli bashing thread!!!:D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

don't know much about Parelli- because I really only do dressage...simple as that...but no bad for you...it's soo easy and soo stupid to judge peeps just by the few words here on the net...doesn't come close to what a person is in real life...and I can say that- because I know a few on here very upfront and personal and man- there is no way anyone could tell or know from their posts...it's a 'second life' and a 'lala-land' here...;)

stryder
Aug. 21, 2007, 02:04 PM
Thank heavens you-all are here!
I was beginning to think my reality was not represented anywhere!
Yep, jeans and work boots for me. Riding lessons when I can, but I can't IMAGINE showing. No time, no money, no interest, NO desire to squeeze my ample thighs into breeches so that I could be found - once again - lacking on another's scale. I grew up riding Western, running free across the SW desert. Just my friends and our horses. Decades later, I'm living in a very urban environment and think dressage will give me and my new horse something to keep our little brains engaged while it just pours buckets. (Thank heavens for this covered arena.) I learn something nearly every day. And sometimes, on the next day, we remember what we figured out the day before. On a truly remarkable day, my horse gives me something so light and lovely that my heart melts.

twnkltoz
Aug. 21, 2007, 02:43 PM
Still having a hard time getting YOUR style of humor- but trying anyhow...

You're not alone.

BEARCAT
Aug. 23, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'd like to be added....

I ride a $125 BLM Mustang....

... in a jumping saddle

.... in a homemade grassy dressage ring with milk jugged filled with rocks adorned with electric tape for my letters...

twnkltoz
Aug. 23, 2007, 04:16 PM
Wow...you have letters?!

On a happy note, I'm moving my horse next week to a new place, and they have a dressage arena! It's a small one, but it has letters and everything! Finally, I can practice circles and know how big they're supposed to be! And, since I started this thread i got a dressage saddle...unfortunately it doesn't fit very well though so I'm working on getting a Custom one. I also have a real dressage outfit, although it's a cheap one and looks it. I'm working my way up toward legitimacy.

BEARCAT
Aug. 23, 2007, 04:30 PM
Wow...you have letters?!

Yep!!!
Took me 2 months to drink enough milk for all of them, but by golly, my last one just went in yesterday!!! ...(and my 10 meter cirles were more like 12 meters...Oops ;) )

Allioness
Aug. 23, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thx twkltoz for this thread. Seems there are quite a few old ABH'rs here now...
I definitely belong in this thread.

1. I took my first dressage lesson on an Arabian, and I am still riding Arabians. I have been on maybe 6 WB's total in my 20 years of Dressage riding.
2. I ride half the week in my dressage saddle, and half the week in my western saddle.
3. I train my horses and students on the trail and in an arena that is less than the size of a small dressage court, and still managed to produce a Scottsdale Dressage Champ this year in JTR who had scores in the 70's. 'lil brag there:)
4. I now take lessons from my cousin in law- in her arena that is less than the size of a small dressage court.
5. Polo shirts and vests? Um, sorry. I have a barn full of so cal teens- we all wear surf t's and tank tops. And although we wear them, we detest breeches. In fact, I have banned the whole breeches and Dansko shoes (UGH!) combo from the barn.
6. No, I am probably not going to make the "team' or ever set hoof in Gladstone. Actually, I think I'd rather set foot in Yellowstone one day instead!

equi-librium
Aug. 29, 2007, 09:30 PM
I have no busiiness doing dressage clique.. lol..

I should just stick to my western pleasure, but dressage is very similar in lots of ways.. keeping the shoulders up, impulsion, using the back.. etc...

I ride my QH in my western show saddle (which cost more than my truck and trailer!.. :cry:) because it fits her better than my dressage saddle or work saddle does at the moment. I get some pretty strange looks from those who dont know me.. but who cares.. Im comfortable riding in jeans, and a hoodie, but i refuse to wear jeans in my dressage saddle, so then its breeches and tall boots.

our letters consist of some laminated pieces of paper duct taped to some sticks... ;) really classy lemme tell ya.. several friends also have taken up the milk drinking in order to have letters..

dressage isnt about the clothes we wear, or the tack our horse is in.. its about the principals.
the last time i checked money and clothes/tack were not the foundation of dressage... ;)