PDA

View Full Version : What is the weirdest thing you have seen on the trail?

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 20, 2006, 09:31 PM
Thought this would be a fun topic!

The wierdest thing I have seen--and who I try to avoid on a regular basis is the Naked Desert Jogger....it is a HE!! He just wears sun glasses and sneakers!!!!!!

YIKES!!! He has been doing it for years.....even in the winter!! ICK!

OakesBrae
Dec. 20, 2006, 09:42 PM
I have nothing to add to that except...

EEK! :D

SHelame
Dec. 20, 2006, 10:43 PM
Turtles "doin' it in the road"

Bank of Dad
Dec. 20, 2006, 11:11 PM
Someone laying on the ground doing pushups. My totally bombproof mare wouldn't walk past him, and he refused to sit up or move.

Pocket Pony
Dec. 20, 2006, 11:42 PM
A man in a spacesuit. I kid you not. I think it was in the spring. Miles and I were trail riding in the state forest where the army reserves do training drills. We were finishing up our ride, heading back to the staging area, doo dee dooo dee dooooo. All of a sudden, a guy in a space suit, complete with glass bubble-head, crosses the path in front of us. Miles didn't bat an eye and I kind of had this look on my face :confused: :eek: and then not a minute later, we were surrounded by guys in fatigues asking if we saw the spaceman! :lol: Thinking back on it, it seems like a dream, but I swear it really happened!!!

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 21, 2006, 12:41 AM
A man in a spacesuit. I kid you not. I think it was in the spring. Miles and I were trail riding in the state forest where the army reserves do training drills. We were finishing up our ride, heading back to the staging area, doo dee dooo dee dooooo. All of a sudden, a guy in a space suit, complete with glass bubble-head, crosses the path in front of us. Miles didn't bat an eye and I kind of had this look on my face :confused: :eek: and then not a minute later, we were surrounded by guys in fatigues asking if we saw the spaceman! :lol: Thinking back on it, it seems like a dream, but I swear it really happened!!!

OH MY GOSH!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could of got abducted--you and your horses!!! LOL!!!

Okay---yours tops it so far!!

Turtles do it---that has to be a special moment!!

Baby pacifier????? That is wierd??? LOL

And what a rude guy that wouldn't move---I'm sure your horse was thinking, "What is that, humans aren't usually flat on the ground???"

saddleup
Dec. 21, 2006, 01:51 AM
An emu. Don't know where it came from. Don't care where it went...cuz we went the opposite direction at a dead run.

HabitualHorseLover
Dec. 21, 2006, 06:04 AM
I'm still grossed out over the naked jogger!!

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 21, 2006, 08:18 AM
On the cross state ride, about day 3 you discover, much to your horror, that your under wear are KILLING you. What to do? What to do?

You take your trusty knife, and cut cut at each outer thigh, pulling the offending garment out the front, and 0 OH YES! - place them on the tree where countless others have done so before.

Actually quite funny.

OTOH the nekkid jogger would get my attention - umm, does it bounce as he runs or does he tape it down??

joe21
Dec. 21, 2006, 10:20 AM
Here's two for you. One I saw, one was seen by a friend. Trying to keep it in "family friendly" language...

I once saw a couple getting "intimate" in the woods.

A friend saw a gentleman going "#2" while on trail.

I still think the spaceman story takes the cake.

northern child
Dec. 21, 2006, 10:29 AM
Can't talk the space man, but.....

Saw a porcupine that had lost it's footing while climbing a tree. So there he was hanging by one paw swaying in the breeze, not sure what to do. My mare was fascinated. We watched for about 5 minutes and eventually he tumbled down through 8 feet of branches, shook himself off and headed back up the tree. Talk about a glutton for punishment.

KarenC
Dec. 21, 2006, 10:47 AM
An entire family on one horse. Kid in front, then Dad, then Mom. Dad was holding the kid, and a beer, and the reins.

This is why we no longer go to state parks on holidays.

My Morgan mare has a cute little quirk we call "trail talking" - she loves to be out on the trail and will make these little piggy grunts.

She would NOT stop talking the entire ride after we saw that.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
An entire family on one horse. Kid in front, then Dad, then Mom. Dad was holding the kid, and a beer, and the reins.

My Morgan mare has a cute little quirk we call "trail talking" - she loves to be out on the trail and will make these little piggy grunts.

A friend of mine had a mare like that too---we called her Miss Piggy.

I just typed this whole thing out and somehow lost it.....ERR.

Anyway, the naked jogger---I have only seen from a hundred feet away---we try to avoid close ups. LOL. But, it was bouncing away (you kinda have to look a litte, you know?) LOL!! So, to see what we saw from that far away, looks like he is, ahhh, large? LOL!! So, a happy SO at home???

There is a nudist community about 30 min. north of us, where some friends have seen numerous "NUDE HIKERS" in the MOUNTIANS when riding. IN THE SUMMER!!! I'm sorry, but the pink parts getting that AZ summer sun---- YIKES!!! and YUCK!!! LOL Nothing agains Nudest (if there are any here, but not for me!) I hide my body as much as possible!!! LOL!! And I'm sure others appriciate that!!

Speaking of NUDE.... gosh, my husband would kill me!! Okay, no one tell him I told you all-- LOL all over the internet, geez, should I?

Well, it is cute sort of.

I must add, my husband is a cutie pie and 2 years ago, had such an amazing body, you know the 6 pack, bubble butt, 22 inch bycepts...just a stud muffin! Kinda the admiration of the girls in the neighborhood (which I'm not blind and can appriciate their stares...ha ha ha). Anyway, we had a monsoon coming in and because of what happened to my stallion 9 years ago, I don't like to have my horses out---I wanted them in the enclosed barn. So, I was running around bringing horses in and he offered to help by opening/shutting the gate and keeping the horses back while I go in and out---sounds little, but it helps a ton. I had a problem with a horse--so he decided to get that one, while I continued to bring others in. Well, he also had a problem and basically lost his towel as he was getting drug around by a very naughty 11 mo. old colt---who decided to be a total -hit! He finally let go and I just stood there with my eyes huge----then looking around to see if anyone one was out. LOL!! He was not very happy, and then screamed at me, "GIVE ME YOUR PANTS"...... I said, WHAT?!!! LOL! Just walking like it was normal, not covering himself!! LOL So, I proceeded to take off my pants--- I started to laugh hystarically!! LOL!! He said, stop laughing, which made me laugh more!!! Then he started to laugh---Then he put my pants on and I ran and got the towel....he then went and got the colt and he proceeded to teach that boy, that even though he was having a hard time understanding testoserone (spelling), he could still behave. My one neighbor came out just as he was putting on my pants----I told her about it and she said, "gosh, hate to say this, but wish I could of see it, for so many reasons"!!

So, who knows if any trail riders saw that (we were backed up to a wash--trail riding heaven!) LOL....but, I'm sure it was quite a site.

He no longer has THAT body, but is still sexy.

I had no idea that procipines climb tree's??????? I have never seen one (we live in AZ--and I have most of my life, so don't know about those.

The EMU!! HOLY COW!! Your lucky your still alive!! LOL!! I'm surprised it didn't try and chase you guys!!!

The intimate thing---YIKES--and the #2.... HOLY YIKES!!!

When I was a young teenager, I was riding down a canal and as most here in AZ do, they back up to peoples back yards. Well, I was riding and as most have a 6 foot block wall. On a horse, you get to see over the top....well, I heard this one house just having a huge party! LOL.... It was a naked party!! Mostly Queen and King sized (I can say that because now I'm a queen sized lady---unfortunaly and trying to change that) but, they were sliding down the slide in the pool, doing the diving board.....then they saw me and everyone jumpined in the pool!!!!!! LOL.... I trotted past quickly. But, there was around 25 people......just having a blast and were so confident NAKED?????????? LOL!! Do you buy that confidence somewhere? LOL!! I need a few shots of that, if it is for sale.

The underwear.....your brave, I'd think it would be worse with out them?

Tiempo
Dec. 21, 2006, 12:06 PM
Space man???!!!:lol: :lol:

Are you sure you weren't nibbling on those little mushrooms growing along the trail!!!??;) ;) :D

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 21, 2006, 12:22 PM
The EMU!! HOLY COW!! Your lucky your still alive!! LOL!! I'm surprised it didn't try and chase you guys!!!

The underwear.....your brave, I'd think it would be worse with out them?

No, actually the relief comes once you have them off. Ahhhh!

Emus are everyday things for us - we see them all the time - no spooks. But I did go to one trail ride (judged) where a poor horse that saw the llamas - one of the judged obstacles - passed away upon sight of them. :eek: Now thats a spook. The horse was only 14 too!! Poor fella.

Kerrysmom818
Dec. 21, 2006, 12:52 PM
Let's see where to begin . . . as a teenager, and this really freaked me out at the time, I saw a guy walking towards us on the trail - he disappeared or so I thought - turns out he had laid down off the trail - but, in full sight - and was "playing with himself" never did tell my parents about that, figured I'd never get to go out on trial alone again if I did.

Years later, different trails, came around a bend on trail and spied a naked guy on a horse (bareback) - I still can't figure out how that didn't hurt like h*ll. He disappeared real fast . . .

Was walking across a field, off the trail, but frequented by lots of riders because it was a nice place to graze, and lo and behold, came upon an older woman (affectionately known as the "crazy lady") who was riding topless - that's a sight I would have prefered to have missed. . .

I also came across a deer head skeleton - someone had staked into the middle of the trail - very weird and kind of frightening.

I guess that's not too bad for 30 years of trail riding . . .

Huntertwo
Dec. 21, 2006, 02:58 PM
My goodness, where do you people ride?? lol :lol: :lol:

A naked jogger
A man doing number 2 - I would have died!
An Emu ???
An Astronaut
A whole family on a horse?? :eek:

Man, Ct. is boring....;)

Willobeasty
Dec. 21, 2006, 03:17 PM
I've got a couple.
(1) An exhibitionist - he saw us coming (mind you I was taking paying dudes out for a ride in Guatemala), jumped on his bike, rode ahead, sat down and .... well...you know...as we passed, then jumped on his bike and rode ahead of us again. Luckily, the guests could ride pretty well, so we hit up a nice hand gallop and lost him....

(2) A corpse. Yuppers - had paying guests again....cops were all excited and wanted us to take a look - they took the blanket off and asked if I recognized him....um....no. Gee pay for a nice bucolic ride in Antigua Guatemala, get a viewing of a dead body for free....

I've also been robbed at gunpoint 3 times while out riding. Once they stole the guest's shoes and my beeper, once they stole some money off the guests and then helped me get the nail out of my horse's hoof (while the other guy stood there shaking and pointing a gun at us...whatever).

Nothing beats Central America!
And after I left and moved back to the states, they found a head...yes, a woman's head...in the coffee trees at my (former) place. Fabulous.

Halcyon Days
Dec. 21, 2006, 03:40 PM
OMG, these stories are crazy! I don't have anything major to contribute here (thank god) but I did have a semi-emu experience once. A friend and I rounded a corner where we could see a just planted Christmas tree field, an emu streaking around, and guys on quads chasing them. One of the guys drove over to us and asked if we could rope it. WTF?????? We just about fell off our horses laughing at the thought of running around chasing an emu, trying to rope it (of course neither of us have ever roped a thing) and then OMG, what do you DO with it once you have a rope around a angry emu's neck? And just WHAT is my horse going to think of that situation? Most of my trail rides excitement comes from bear, elk, deer, mountain bikers (all clothed) and some hikers. Wait, did go to a local horse park a month or two back and they were having a civil war reenactment, complete with cannons. My horse didn't even flinch.

Mtn trails
Dec. 21, 2006, 03:52 PM
No, actually the relief comes once you have them off. Ahhhh!

Emus are everyday things for us - we see them all the time - no spooks. But I did go to one trail ride (judged) where a poor horse that saw the llamas - one of the judged obstacles - passed away upon sight of them. :eek: Now thats a spook. The horse was only 14 too!! Poor fella.

I can vouch for the underwear thing. I've learned never to trail ride in a thong! LOL. There's been 2 times where I've stripped off the underwear on the trail but didn't leave them in a tree, just put them in my saddlebag to find 6 months later. ha ha.

The funniest/strangest thing I've seen on the trail was two men carrying a canoe over their heads. I had no idea where they were heading since there was no water that was canoe sized for miles around. Woodrow looked at them, turned his head and looked at me as if to say - what is up with this? and continued on his way. I love that horse.

The gun toting robbers helped you get a nail out of your horse's hoof? What, did you say - oh yeah, go ahead and rob us but would you help take this nail out of my horse's foot before you leave? hee hee.

My DH does nudist trail walking - really. He also participated in the nude bike ride they do every year in Seattle. Someone did body paint on him to look like a sheriff - chaps, vest, badge and he wore his cowboy hat and boots. Very cute. He tries to get me to join in - not in this lifetime thank you very much. :lol:

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
Most of my trail rides excitement comes from bear, elk, deer, mountain bikers (all clothed) and some hikers. .

So, ummm, what is the well dressed bear wearing these days?? grin! :lol:

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 21, 2006, 03:58 PM
My DH does nudist trail walking - really. He also participated in the nude bike ride they do every year in Seattle. Someone did body paint on him to look like a sheriff - chaps, vest, badge and he wore his cowboy hat and boots. Very cute. He tries to get me to join in - not in this lifetime thank you very much. :lol:

So was his 'holster' painted on in the front???? :D

ducking and running!!!

GansMyMan
Dec. 21, 2006, 04:25 PM
So, what you're saying is your DH likes to show off his gun and DOESN'T have a hair trigger? Or, has a whole lotta hair, Trigger. :eek: :D :lol: :D :lol:

DocNDabby
Dec. 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz, you guys have some amazing trailing adventures!

The ONLY thing I can bring to this is seeing a white/albino doe antelope that tried to go along with us on the trail. I think she was a bit confused! Our horses were a bit jumpy and just couldn't quite figure out if she was just a pony or what.

Otherwise: dullsville.

halla
Dec. 21, 2006, 04:33 PM
Wow, and I thought it was noteworthy I found a helicopter in a field once (and on, no less). And I'd been warned that it showed up sometimes, so I think that totally takes it out of the running. Luckily the horse I was on was only slightly worried about it. She was also OK with the crushed up car the police decided to locate on the side of the road to discourage speeding and drunk driving, although other horses were upset by it.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 21, 2006, 05:25 PM
OMG and ROTFL!!

This is so funny---and icky!! LOL!!!!

A girlfriend and I were out on a trail ride.....chatting and laughing--being just goofy. Anyway, one of the houses has a ranch of exotic animals. Camels (spelling? How do you spell that? I'm THE worlds worst speller) and llamas, Emu, deer, and God knows what else. We were on the other side of the busy rode from this place and back a bit..like 50 feet. A couple of Camels put their heads over the fence to check us out....So, I started to baby talk to the Camels, and then one made this noise and the horses finally noticed them! One moment, Hi pretty camel--on the buckle--to full gallup!!! LOL My girlfriend yelled just about the time we got them stopped, "Are you Nucking Futs"...... LOL!!! We were already laughing, then that made us crack up even more. Then there is this HUGE plywood laying there....so, I went to cross it, my horse was brave and was just going to go, then sand got knocked on top of it and my horse jumped STRAIGHT up! All 4's off the ground over 3 feet!!! My girlfriend peed her pants laughing so hard!!

It doesn't sound as funny typed as it was in the moment, but it was a good time.

Then a WIERD time, I was riding in the forrest.....I notice my horse was walking in a "whats been here"..you know that walk.....still forward, but ready to spring. I'm looking around and I notice that I'm in a circle of DEER Heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With bones placed all over...the deer heads were hung on trees---like I was in a worship circle---- YIKES!! I turned and RAN away!! After having the thoughts of that Blair Witch thing in my head. YIKES!! I was alone and had major goose bumps.

LisaW-B
Dec. 21, 2006, 05:58 PM
Horsecrazy, I think we may trail ride in the same desert, unless there's more than one naked jogger out there. Where's the emoticon for hurling when you need it? The guy who I've seen (sadly, there wasn't much worth seeing ... and what does he do about sunburn? and cacti? and rattlesnakes?) is legendary. My friends and I have wondered if he walks in from somewhere, and where *does* he keep his car keys, or his clothes? And, do we want to know? No, not really.

Mtn trails
Dec. 21, 2006, 07:12 PM
So, what you're saying is your DH likes to show off his gun and DOESN'T have a hair trigger? Or, has a whole lotta hair, Trigger. :eek: :D :lol: :D :lol:

He doesn't mind showing his gun and at his age, the hair trigger is long gone! But he does have a lot of hair trigger. :D

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 21, 2006, 08:58 PM
Horsecrazy, I think we may trail ride in the same desert, unless there's more than one naked jogger out there. Where's the emoticon for hurling when you need it? The guy who I've seen (sadly, there wasn't much worth seeing ... and what does he do about sunburn? and cacti? and rattlesnakes?) is legendary. My friends and I have wondered if he walks in from somewhere, and where *does* he keep his car keys, or his clothes? And, do we want to know? No, not really.

Tatum/Dynamite?????

LOL

TheBandit
Dec. 21, 2006, 11:00 PM
I ran into a whole bunch of military while riding this summer. They were on a training exercise in full field paint in their mini tanks!

Calena
Dec. 21, 2006, 11:23 PM
Once, there was "Nature Boy" running and waving across the river from us. This was a hot, buggy summer day and all I could think of was where he was getting bit! OUCH. Fool. (I'm a grandma, raised all boys, not impressed).

Then there was the college soccer team. For some reason, they have to jog in formation carrying a log with a truck tire hanging off it. There were like 10 of them jogging along carrying this log and big tire. Nothing like space men and helicopters, but still weird.

My favorite was in the winter when we came across the group of cross country skiers. My brother's mare was afraid of crops. I think she thought this must be the horse hit squad, everybody had TWO GIANT CROPS. She tried to climb a tree *LOL* It wasn't funny then, but it was about 5 minutes later.

Once a tree cracked and fell in front of us. For the record, I don't think any horse has ever been killed by a tree falling. Instant about face and kick it in high gear!

I think the worst my mare has ever seen definitely has to be the 'horse eating river monsters' (i.e. big blue herons). The first time she saw one, it was standing in the river. She stopped dead to study this strange creature. Then it decided to fly away. They have a wing span that's an easy 4' across. It wasn't eating my mare, nope, not her, she's outta there!

Fun :D

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 21, 2006, 11:36 PM
WOW... Lisa and I do ride in the same spot!! How funny is that!

Calena (what a cool name) so pretty! You have seen some really crazy things---and your still here to type about them. LOL!! YEA!!

This has been really fun!!

I remembered one... I was riding with a CRAZY girlfriend of mine when I was an older teen ager. We were riding down in a river bottom. We see these guys with guns...and atv's. That was wierd? Then they started chasing us!! Holy s-it! We split up and galluped like mad! The side of the river bottom they dumped pieces of concrete from building a road....I had no choice and pointed my horse to it---he did it--no questions asked! We lost them and called the police--they were never found. They thought it was drugs or something.

That same day was my first experiance with "quick sand"=====YIKES!! We sunk to just under his belly!!!!!!!!! I was ready to jump off and he struggled with huge bucking motions and freed himself, first one leg, then the other, then out. We were lucky. I was totally freaked out and the sand made it's way into all kinds of places in my western saddle that I was riding in that day. SO SCARY...and it looked just like normal wet sand! YIKES!!

Anyone else done quick sand?

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 22, 2006, 10:43 AM
Anyone else done quick sand?

Hand raising slowly, guilty expression on face. I did not 'see' this - I was a participant....so did not think the question applied.

Not quick sand but peat swamp muck, sinking horses, fire engines, ambulances.....

Once upon a time 3 friends Tree, Rayna and Beth decide on a lovely September day to adventure to Rose Lake, Bath, MI for trail riding adventures. Tree is on the lovely Miss Rita,a chestnut QH, long haired Indian Princess looking Miss Rayna is riding lovely palomino New Leigh Minted - a georgous firey copper color with white mane and tail, and Tall, svelt Blonde Beth is on her trust grey Arab pony Ba-Key (THAT is not how its spelled I am sure, but how it sounds so...)

The temps are a lovely 60ish and the sun is sparkling between the forest leaves of red and gold and orange - the day is perfect, the company is wonderful, it smells of Autumn and indian summer and the 2 QH's decide the Arab is NOT one of the herd. Beth takes the 3rd postion in line, the 2 QH's are stuck to each other like glue, and we laugh it all off and enjoy the day as we go.

Fast forward a few hours into the ride, when we discover A NEW TRAIL. I inquire if Beth has been down this one - no she has not. So we forge ahead blindly. ;) Tree and Rita in the lead, Leigh and Rayna close 2nds, then Beth and Ba-Key.

We go @ 1000 feet down this trail and Rita steps over an exposed tree root - and sinks in up to her belly! :eek: My feet are now ON the dirt, I'm still in the saddle. And Rayna and Leigh, on our butts, step in too - shoving Rita and I forward in the goo. :eek: :eek:

Now 4 of us are in to our bellies - Beth and Ba-Key, luckily, are an elephants length behind us and STOP before they fall in.

Rita sinks quietly - waiting for my directions. I step UP to step off and note that Leigh is not so quiet - Rayna has gone flying through the air - glasses gone, bridle off the horse, and Leigh is swimming dag paddle style in the goo toward Rita and I. Beth has gotten off, tied Ba-Key to what we later discover is a loose dangling tree branch, and is looking for terra firma - not be had today, ladies. I take Rita's bridle reins and turn her firmly back toward Leigh and the only firm ground we know of. Rita, being smaller then Leigh by 400# is able to lean baaaaack and harrumph a huge leap pulling herself out of the muck on to solid ground - but in the process barrels into me with her head - lifting me along with her during the harrumph and giving me one hell of a stomach ache.

I tie her and return to Beth, Rayna and Leigh. We discover that the 'trail' heads into a swamp - we can now, with our lower-to-the-ground persepective, see the swamp waters ahead. And, believe it or not, the home barn is about 1 mile away as the crow flies across this swamp. Leigh is headed THERE - not back - and we are not going to stop her. Stupid girls.

The bridle Rayna was using was one of those useless show bridles with no throat latch, nose band or other 'holding' device to it - just a bit on a loop with 2 reins. Every time Rayna got it back on Leigh's head and tried to turn her it spun around on her head or flew off. Rita had a tiny head - no go on sharing a bridle there, and ditto Ba-Key's head gear. We try our belts, anthing we can get our hands on.

By now Rayna's saddle has broken at the girth and is in the goo sinking. Leigh has mud up over her rump and the struggling is becoming slower and weaker. We try the girth strap with no luck.

We decide Beth must ride for help (before the era of cell tells) and Rayna and I hold Leigh's head above the swamp muck and water. Rayna is sitting in the muck with Leigh's head across her lap to keep it up out of the water. 2 hunters happen along and we enlist thier help as well in the holding and helping. Leigh struggles, pauses to catch her breath, then begins her struggles again. Each time she throws the 4 of us off like rag dolls. Each time she gets closer to the waters edge, and more mud goes over her back.

It seemed years, but finally help is on the way. We hear chainsaws. (Did i mention that the trail was as wide as a firetruck or ambulance all the way to here? One reason we thought it was safe, ha ha.) Well, it is, but there are some downed trees that have to be cut and moved so the help vehicles can come in.

Beth had ridden to the nearest house and called for an ambulance, and fire truck, and vet. She lied :D and said there were 2 girls and a horse stuck in the swamp. The rescuers think they are there to save 2 girls - but they are the man power to save Leigh.

MSU was called as well to traq Leigh, and one of the local farmers has brought a stone boat to help. (Stone boats are items used to haul rocks out of farm fields - sort of flat with chains attached). And a wrecker arrives....

The ambulance driver insists that I be looked at - and there is a lovely imprint of my horses head in purple on my belly. Ouch. And he is insisting I go to the hospital NOW. I of course refuse.

Another friend arrives with a horse trailer, and shuttles Ba-Key to her home, and the barn owner where Rayna and I rode from arrives with his big horse trailer.

While we wait for the tranq to take over the friend and trailer return empty and Rayna is given the chore of loading Rita and helping get her home. I am not allowed to leave the ambulance, my bp is off the charts and I'm pale and breathing heavy. Crap its now been 4 hours since I was hit - if I was gonna die it'd been by now! And of course my bp is off the charts, duh!

The tranq takes effect on Leigh, the rescuers put a belly band on Leigh, get her cranked on the stone boat and a wrecker hauls her, on the boat, out of the muck. She loads shakily into the big trailer of the barn owner, and the vet checks her over.

I refuse to take the ambulance and insist instead that Beth take me to Rita and Rayna and so she askes the friend with the trailer to take us. I can't imagine what she is doing back at the scene....

Rita is in her stall, eating, Leigh has arrived and is being hosed off (her ordeal resulted in one small cut - and there was all kinds of junk in that swamp muck - tires, beer bottles, plywood pieces, logs, etc.) - and one very tired horse.

Rayna was doing feed chores, and I was hustled off to the hospital, under great protest, by Beth.

In the end, I found out Rita refused to load for Rayna and she wound up hand WALKING her all the way back to the barn - too fearful to ride her and too upset about Leigh. Beth was fearful they'd not be back by time we got there and THAT was why she was stalling, and why the trailer was still at the scene.

Rayna and Beth and I had many riding experiences but this one takes the cake. We did not laugh about it at the time - nor while we paid off the bills (Vet was like $ 100, Emergency was like $ 500, wrecker another $ 100) but we had many a laugh over it later.

When we were waiting for Leigh to be loaded in her trailer Rayna said she wanted to look for her saddle, bridle, pad and glasses. Beth and I gave each other unbelieving looks and said "okay" - AND SHE FOUND EVERY ITEM!! In the dark!!! Even her glasses. I am still amazed about that.

It's funny how some of the worst times turn into some of the best times. Cherish these times because you never know what tomorrow will bring. :sadsmile:

Rita and Rayna are both at the Bridge :cry: - Ba-Key is scheduled to follow shortly, as is Leigh. Somewhere in the Lansing area are 2 hunters with a hell of a story of 3 girls, a stuck horse and muck. There is a rescue team that I am sure still laughs about it, as well as an MSU vet.

Good times and good friends. That is what its all about.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 22, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hand raising slowly, guilty expression on face. I did not 'see' this - I was a participant....so did not think the question applied.

Not quick sand but peat swamp muck, sinking horses, fire engines, ambulances.....

Once upon a time 3 friends Tree, Rayna and Beth decide on a lovely September day to adventure to Rose Lake, Bath, MI for trail riding adventures. Tree is on the lovely Miss Rita,a chestnut QH, long haired Indian Princess looking Miss Rayna is riding lovely palomino New Leigh Minted - a georgous firey copper color with white mane and tail, and Tall, svelt Blonde Beth is on her trust grey Arab pony Ba-Key (THAT is not how its spelled I am sure, but how it sounds so...)

Good times and good friends. That is what its all about.
Shortned to save space.

WOW!! How long ago was this? My husband is from Lansing Mi, and was an avid hunter. He and his brother, brother in-law, dad, best friends are all Sherifs (thank God he no longer is, he builds homes now after 11 years of being a cop) I will have to ask if he remembers this? WOW!!

I'm so happy that you all made it---and finding all that stuff!! WOW!!

You sound like great friends....that is a beautiful story of friendship and love.

Thanks for sharing that and makes me want to hug you!! So, Hugs. :)

Auventera Two
Dec. 22, 2006, 11:26 AM
Oh my gosh this thread is too funny!! :lol: :D

I saw a little Indian boy (no offense intended - just the facts) knelt down on his knees in the grass on the edge of the public trail. He has very long, black hair, and was rocking back and forth like he was praying. My normally spook-proof horse ran sideways past him.

I also ran into a family of baby raccoons who must have lost their mamma. They were chittering and following us down the trail as much as they could.

A doe (deer) came out on the trail in front of once and wouldn't move. She has the froze in the headlights thing going on. My horse would NOT get a single step closer to her. So we stood there in a face off. I ended up waving my arms in the air and standing up in the stirrups trying to spook the deer off. I spooked the horse and almost got dumped, but managed to stick it out.

I saw a Life Flight helicopter land in a field on a training run right next to us. Oh. My. Gosh. That caused some crazy piaffe and snort-n-blow, but we made it past that.

I ran into a bear. Just a little one, and he didn't even seem to notice us, thankfully! :eek: :lol:

Edited - Oh yeah! A man walked up out of the weeds alongside the trail and asked if he could pet my horse. He looked like a real loser, and he was reaching for the horse's reins. I kicked her and we cantered off. I didn't want to be his victim!

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 22, 2006, 12:06 PM
Oh my gosh this thread is too funny!! :lol: :D

I saw a little Indian boy (no offense intended - just the facts) knelt down on his knees in the grass on the edge of the public trail. He has very long, black hair, and was rocking back and forth like he was praying. My normally spook-proof horse ran sideways past him.

I also ran into a family of baby raccoons who must have lost their mamma. They were chittering and following us down the trail as much as they could.

A doe (deer) came out on the trail in front of once and wouldn't move. She has the froze in the headlights thing going on. My horse would NOT get a single step closer to her. So we stood there in a face off. I ended up waving my arms in the air and standing up in the stirrups trying to spook the deer off. I spooked the horse and almost got dumped, but managed to stick it out.

I saw a Life Flight helicopter land in a field on a training run right next to us. Oh. My. Gosh. That caused some crazy piaffe and snort-n-blow, but we made it past that.

I ran into a bear. Just a little one, and he didn't even seem to notice us, thankfully! :eek: :lol:

Edited - Oh yeah! A man walked up out of the weeds alongside the trail and asked if he could pet my horse. He looked like a real loser, and he was reaching for the horse's reins. I kicked her and we cantered off. I didn't want to be his victim!

So the mention on here of bears a few times.....What do horses do really? My cowboy friend said his horses do "okay" with bears, but totally FLIP when they see a moose????????

We haven't even seen a deer yet...so, not sure about what my horses would do with either. YIKES!!

The bra thing... LOL!! I had one on that was pretty lacy (don't know why on earth I was riding with it)....was on a trail ride with a friend--- a guy friend. LOL. We were in the desert and there was a pretty steep hill/mountian...we were going up it and our horses decided to do that canter jump thing to get up, well on the second, jump, my bra broke. LOL!! I had to take it out and I'm a 38d. LOL!! He (friend) like to trot and canter out---and I was doing the one hand steer, boob holding ride too!! LOL! It was quite a wierd feeling---jump jump, pop, free, jump...LOL!!

Freebird!
Dec. 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
I saw some pretty tall "weeds" growing by the trail once. Actually, it was beside the galloping trail, on a racehorse farm I worked at, but I digress....

As for the "space man" -did the suit look something likme the one in this article: http://ds9.ssl.berkeley.edu/LWS_GEMS/4/uve.htm

Mtn trails
Dec. 22, 2006, 01:20 PM
I've seen bears on the trail too. They were two cinnamon colored black bears and were around two year old twins. The horses watched with interest while the bears hightailed it out of the area. They were more afraid of us and the horses than we were of them. Don't ever want to meet a grizzly though :no:

Another story, and this time no nudity :D My trail club was out in central WA on one of our weekend camping trips at an elk preserve. While out riding, we saw tons of elk here and there but the most impressive was when about 15 royals - the ones with the huge racks - came running through an open area and like a drill team, all lined up abreast about 20 feet away from us and stood and stared. The horses just stared back and my friend was snapping pictures frantically before they left. The elk watched us for about 1 minute before turning as one and disappearing into the trees again. I'll never forget that moment the rest of my life. They are such magestic beasts and I felt so fortunate to be able to witness them in the wild.

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 22, 2006, 01:45 PM
Shortned to save space.

WOW!! How long ago was this? My husband is from Lansing Mi, and was an avid hunter. He and his brother, brother in-law, dad, best friends are all Sherifs (thank God he no longer is, he builds homes now after 11 years of being a cop) I will have to ask if he remembers this? WOW!!

I'm so happy that you all made it---and finding all that stuff!! WOW!!

You sound like great friends....that is a beautiful story of friendship and love.

Thanks for sharing that and makes me want to hug you!! So, Hugs. :)

What year was this - my friend Beth and I were just trying to determine this. It was probably at least 18 yrs ago, near as we can figure. It was before my college years (11 of those) and before I got my PE licence (add 5 more years) and it was before Rayna was married (add two more years before college) - near as we can figure at this time it was in the late 80's sometime. Rayna was the date keeper :yes: - I am directions :yes: , and Beth is timekeeper :yes: so that explains our inability to remember the year. :no: Her passing has resulted in many a WHEN was that conversation going unanswered.

It was September b/c we were getting in miles for the October ride.

It was Bath Township Rescue that answered the call for help, if that helps.

We stayed great friends through many relationships with guys, lots of life and love and Rayna and Rita's passings. There is nothing in life like your good girl friends. :yes: :sadsmile: :yes:

thanks - {{{HUGS}}} back at ya. Come ride w/ us anytime!! :cool:

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 22, 2006, 01:50 PM
Oh my gosh girl, what an amazing story! :eek: So glad you and your friends and horses made it through okay! That just gave me CHILLS.

By this time they were in a full out gallop - down the CENTER of the asphalt road.

The adventures people have when they try to trail ride!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I can not imagine the heart attack I'd be having to see my horse running down an asphalt highway!! OMG!!!! :eek: :eek:

Way worse then my horror story.
SOOO glad she was fine when all was said and done!!

Calena
Dec. 22, 2006, 02:04 PM
I can't imagine seeing a bear on the trails. I don't even want to think about it. I think my mare's been watching for them all her life.

She has all the tree branches and logs memorized. If any of them turns up in a different spot, stop dead, SNORT, jig, pass with caution, head and neck down to watch spot closely. I've always surmised she's looking for bears. I think if she actually saw one, I'd be left to deal with it alone.

I've taken a non-scientific survey of my friends. So far, almost all our horses spook at natural things. They ignore the construction crews, harleys, planes and jets. But, God forbid that branch MOVES!!!!!

OakesBrae
Dec. 22, 2006, 02:54 PM
I've met a bear on a trail.

My friend and I were trotting along the trail when suddenly both of our horses stopped dead in their tracks. Up ahead was a bear, who, also startled, turned and looked at us and stood up (he was startled). There was an extended moment where all of us looked at each other, then the horses spun and went trotting (a little faster) back the other way.

Once a little grouse decided to try to attack us to defend her nest. She puffed herself all up and with her wings out came right at the horses. Luckily, Sleepy just looked at her like...uhhhh what's wrong with you.

I haven't really seen anything else strange, but I've definitely enjoyed and been horrified by some of these stories!

Auventera Two
Dec. 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
OMG the grouse story made me laugh so hard! :lol: :eek: :lol: That poor little thing!

Lady Counselor
Dec. 22, 2006, 03:55 PM
I once forgot to check what weekend it was and took off early in the morning for a trail ride with my friend Cindy. We headed down the road from my house, intending to take the shortcut through the neighbor's farm to reach the trails. Just as we are almost to the farm's driveway, I become aware that I'm hearing a strange whoosing sound. I twist around in the saddle to look back down the road. Nothing. Hmm.. We keep going, and I hear it again...a LOT louder. WTF? I turn around again...and OMG!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Here come, not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE HOT AIR BALLOONS!!! Just over the treetops, bearing down on us at an alarming pace!
Son-ov-a-*****!!! I'd totally forgotten about the balloon fest that was taking place 2 miles down the road.
Well, our horses weren't having any of that, no way no sir! We were in the top of the driveway with a long dirt road, so we opened them up and took off for the woods at an open gallop. The balloons caught up to us when we pulled up in a thin strip of trees, and we tried to take cover. My horse started spinning and rearing as they pased overhead, burners going WHHOOOSSHH! I yelled up at them, "Could you please HOLD OFF ON THE BURNERS!" They leaned over the basket and shouted, "Hi-iii!" and waved....:(
It took the rest of the ride to get our guys to settle back down.
The balloons fly over my house every year, and the horses HATE them.
One quick side story: one year I saw a balloon looking like it was going to land in my back paddock, so I went to help them. Forgot my camera in the house. As I walk the dirt road that opened up into the back pasture area, I hear crashing sounds. I enter the paddock, and there ahead of me is a huge balloon top rising from the river on the other side of the paddock. You can just see the top over the trees. And between me and the balloon is a doe, frozen in place, staring at the huge balloon. And me with my camera on the kitchen table.....

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 22, 2006, 03:57 PM
I can't imagine seeing a bear on the trails. I don't even want to think about it. I think my mare's been watching for them all her life.

She has all the tree branches and logs memorized. If any of them turns up in a different spot, stop dead, SNORT, jig, pass with caution, head and neck down to watch spot closely. I've always surmised she's looking for bears. I think if she actually saw one, I'd be left to deal with it alone.

I've taken a non-scientific survey of my friends. So far, almost all our horses spook at natural things. They ignore the construction crews, harleys, planes and jets. But, God forbid that branch MOVES!!!!!

that is what I think!! LOL!!!! My bomb proof horse, stopped dead in his tracks yesteday because he saw this old cactus...it was wierdly shapped....but, geez, he just walked over the top of an old matress. LOL!

DQ I LOVE LOVE LOVE that photo that you have on your profile!! That is a beautiful capture!!! Almost want to make a copy and have it as art...LOL!! WOW

I'd love to go riding. Do you know any of the "Holliday's" in Michigan? They are in westbranch, Lansing, Westland...and up in the U.P.
I was there last august----gosh so beautiful!!! One thing I couldn't believe was the tons of poison ivy---holy cow (unless I don't know what I was looking at) What a difference from AZ!!!! Both beautiful---somehow it is like the "grass is greener thing"...and it actually is in MI!!! LOL!

The grouse...althought I don't know what that is -never seen one, but how funny!

I've had a coyote follow us......and some friends had a herd (is that what you call them) of havalina chase her. YIKES

This is fun......you all are so great at putting your storys down too.....way better than I!! LOL!!

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 22, 2006, 04:46 PM
I once forgot to check what weekend it was and took off early in the morning for a trail ride with my friend Cindy. We headed down the road from my house, intending to take the shortcut through the neighbor's farm to reach the trails. Just as we are almost to the farm's driveway, I become aware that I'm hearing a strange whoosing sound. I twist around in the saddle to look back down the road. Nothing. Hmm.. We keep going, and I hear it again...a LOT louder. WTF? I turn around again...and OMG!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Here come, not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE HOT AIR BALLOONS!!! Just over the treetops, bearing down on us at an alarming pace!
Son-ov-a-*****!!! I'd totally forgotten about the balloon fest that was taking place 2 miles down the road.
Well, our horses weren't having any of that, no way no sir! We were in the top of the driveway with a long dirt road, so we opened them up and took off for the woods at an open gallop. The balloons caught up to us when we pulled up in a thin strip of trees, and we tried to take cover. My horse started spinning and rearing as they pased overhead, burners going WHHOOOSSHH! I yelled up at them, "Could you please HOLD OFF ON THE BURNERS!" They leaned over the basket and shouted, "Hi-iii!" and waved....:(
It took the rest of the ride to get our guys to settle back down.
The balloons fly over my house every year, and the horses HATE them.
One quick side story: one year I saw a balloon looking like it was going to land in my back paddock, so I went to help them. Forgot my camera in the house. As I walk the dirt road that opened up into the back pasture area, I hear crashing sounds. I enter the paddock, and there ahead of me is a huge balloon top rising from the river on the other side of the paddock. You can just see the top over the trees. And between me and the balloon is a doe, frozen in place, staring at the huge balloon. And me with my camera on the kitchen table.....

Scary with reason!! WOW!! Your lucky to be alive!! A neighbor of mine had an air ballon land in the place behind her..her horse tried to jump the fence and got caught....she was also 10 months pregnant!! YIKES!! Her and the foal are okay...but, when the people came to her for help---she was freaking out and in a teasy---didn't help them too much....whops. Horse came first---They just wanted to use her phone to tell someone where to get them. YIKES

nightsong
Dec. 22, 2006, 05:34 PM

I think she had some comments on how abusive it was to put tht much weight on a horse, especially on the tender (and unsupported) l oin area.

LostFarmer
Dec. 22, 2006, 05:37 PM
I have run into many things on trail rides. We were in the steep and deep of Yellowstone and ran into a grizzly bear. He went his way and we went ours. Luckily the horses stood and were sensible. He was within 50 yards of us. Same trip we had about 40 head of elk come and play in the meadow near our camp. They were cows that were playing in the evening about dusk. We watched them until it became too dark to see. We could hear them chirping to each other and general cow talk. I would guess that the whole herd was within 200 yds of camp. The wind was blowing towards us so they didn't seem to mind.

The weirdest thing was on the way out nearly 20 miles from a piece of concrete or pavement the was a pair of nekked hikers, well I assume they were hikers, but at that very moment they were horizontal. Not a stitch of clothing unless you count a condom was on either of them. They were a little suprised to see three riders and 7 horses that far back in. They were aways from their clothes as well. The funny part was the she was upset that we were not wearing bear bells. (The little bells that keep you from startling bears.) We joked that we didn't think the bares were a threat and we didn't want to were dinner bells for the bears.

That was the most interesting trip we have ever been on. We have seen a few strange and cool things before since but that was the most compact group of things. LF

Pocket Pony
Dec. 22, 2006, 06:05 PM
As for the "space man" -did the suit look something likme the one in this article: http://ds9.ssl.berkeley.edu/LWS_GEMS/4/uve.htm

Nope, he was a bona-fide spaceman-suited army reserve guy. They were doing some sort of search-and-rescue mission; or hide and go seek exercise.

And the bear question - I have HEARD either a mountain lion or a bear in the woods (not a deer or coyote, too big of a rustling noise - plus we see those on the trail all the time and Paddy could care less) and Paddy high-tailed it out of there, snorting all the way! He's so level-headed all the time that I chose to believe him when he said something was VERY wrong.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 22, 2006, 09:09 PM
Nope, he was a bona-fide spaceman-suited army reserve guy. They were doing some sort of search-and-rescue mission; or hide and go seek exercise.

And the bear question - I have HEARD either a mountain lion or a bear in the woods (not a deer or coyote, too big of a rustling noise - plus we see those on the trail all the time and Paddy could care less) and Paddy high-tailed it out of there, snorting all the way! He's so level-headed all the time that I chose to believe him when he said something was VERY wrong.

Remember Roswell?? LOL!!!

Pocket Pony
Dec. 22, 2006, 09:26 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dooo deeee doooo doooo :eek: :eek: :eek:

T.G.I.F.
Dec. 23, 2006, 03:51 AM
Three of us went out on the Monday of a long weekend. As we got (of course) as far away from the barns as we were going to go we came across a running car parked at the edge of a field. There was a person slumped over in the driver's seat unconcious. At that point the other 2 left to find a phone at a near by house leaving me to break into the car by myself. My horse was as good as gold as I tried different ways to break in. Finally managed to break open the window. It was too late & all I could do was turn the car off.

I caught up to the other people who had just flagged someone down with a cell phone. I talked to 911 & told them where etc and asked for sirens to be turned off as they neared because of the horses. Something like 2 police cars, 2 fire trucks & 2 ambulances came & every single one of them turned off their sirens as they turned the corner. Mind you by that point my horse stood there grazing as they went past us. All the horses behaved while I gave my statement & then I helped the others get on their horse's. My horse stood like a rock while I had to make him stand beside a pile of sticks (16.3hh warmblood) for me to get on.

On the way back we got chased a bit by a dog. I know the magic words though so he left us just as quickly. (turned horse to him and galloped horse yelling GO HOME GIT!!)

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!!! What a great story!! Glad to know they turned off the sirens.....

WOW!!

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 24, 2006, 12:50 PM
I finally asked hubby, he doesn't remember.

So sorry about Beth. I'm sure she is watching out for you guys!

What year was this - my friend Beth and I were just trying to determine this. It was probably at least 18 yrs ago, near as we can figure. It was before my college years (11 of those) and before I got my PE licence (add 5 more years) and it was before Rayna was married (add two more years before college) - near as we can figure at this time it was in the late 80's sometime. Rayna was the date keeper :yes: - I am directions :yes: , and Beth is timekeeper :yes: so that explains our inability to remember the year. :no: Her passing has resulted in many a WHEN was that conversation going unanswered.

It was September b/c we were getting in miles for the October ride.

It was Bath Township Rescue that answered the call for help, if that helps.

We stayed great friends through many relationships with guys, lots of life and love and Rayna and Rita's passings. There is nothing in life like your good girl friends. :yes: :sadsmile: :yes:

thanks - {{{HUGS}}} back at ya. Come ride w/ us anytime!! :cool:

Happyhillfarm
Dec. 25, 2006, 07:56 PM
Ummm, I remember years ago coming across two men doing "it" just feet from the trail. I think we startled them but they continued on with the act. My sweet mare and great trail horse, bless her heart, she's passed on now, just walked on by like nothing.

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 25, 2006, 09:40 PM
Ummm, I remember years ago coming across two men doing "it" just feet from the trail. I think we startled them but they continued on with the act. My sweet mare and great trail horse, bless her heart, she's passed on now, just walked on by like nothing.

Okay....now I think you have the top prize!! LOL!!

YIKES!!! I would of threw up!!!!!

rustystirrups
Dec. 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
Some pretty funny things, fun reading. For us it was the elephant followed by the 2 camels. Our horses did a dead run - backwards.

Calena
Dec. 27, 2006, 12:55 AM
Some pretty funny things, fun reading. For us it was the elephant followed by the 2 camels. Our horses did a dead run - backwards.

OH MY GOSH!!!! ROTFL

Mtn trails
Dec. 27, 2006, 12:06 PM

Must have been a bear - you wouldn't have heard the mountain lion. Don't forget people - bears can run as fast as a galloping horse and even with poor eyesight, they have great noses. And, the last thing you want to do when you encounter a mountain lion is run away.

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 27, 2006, 12:39 PM
DQ I LOVE LOVE LOVE that photo that you have on your profile!! That is a beautiful capture!!! Almost want to make a copy and have it as art...LOL!! WOW

I'd love to go riding. Do you know any of the "Holliday's" in Michigan? They are in westbranch, Lansing, Westland...and up in the U.P.
I was there last august----gosh so beautiful!!! One thing I couldn't believe was the tons of poison ivy---holy cow (unless I don't know what I was looking at) What a difference from AZ!!!! Both beautiful---somehow it is like the "grass is greener thing"...and it actually is in MI!!! LOL!

LOL!!

Awwww *blush* thanks - that's my 'new' horse Grace and I completing our first cross state ride 2 yrs ago. We were mighty happy - love to play in the lake water. My hubby took the pic - now we are looking for a horse for him so that he can enjoy the riding too.

No, I'm sorry I don't know them (the Holliday's).

Oh yeah, we have lots of poison ivy - lucky for me I'm not reactive to it (yet).

I've not been to AZ yet - but one of my riding pals retired there so maybe someday soon.

GansMyMan
Dec. 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
Well, I don't know about bears, but a friend and I (plus our 2 crazed Morgans) were chased by a crazy Moose. There was a whole lot of crazy going on that day. Later found out the Moose had brain worm (common in these parts) and perhaps that was why it was trying to attack us. Gandalf isn't the spookiest of horses, nor the most aware... I'm not sure he noticed much in the way of the Moose, what he noticed was that his friend was going to "beat" him. Otherwise he probably would have stood there. I know because he flushed a few deer once and one of them hit him in the chest on the way up. No reaction from ole Gan. He just jigged along on his merry way.

jeano
Dec. 27, 2006, 09:13 PM
All righty, folks, I went to the trouble of joining this forum just to post in this thread. Weirdest thing I ever saw on a trail ride--a heart. In the snow. All by itself. Fresh, bleeding, a heart. No tracks. I'm riding in the state park, I look down, I see a heart. Kept riding, told myself, deer heart. This was 10 plus years ago, and I cannot remember the exact date, and just now realized, I DONT know for a fact that it was even hunting season.....
2nd weirdest, perhaps the baby armadillo my horse (different horse, present horse, in fact) managed to kick for a field goal out on the trail. It was pretty dazed but didnt seem fatally injured so again, I rode on down life's highway...

DocNDabby
Dec. 27, 2006, 10:06 PM
Um, Jeano...

That seriously creeped me out reading that you saw a BLEEDING FRESH HEART on the trail! ACK:eek:

Did you ever hear anything about it? Are you SURE it came from a deer? I would find it ODD that the organ was all by itself as most predators find the heart "tasty"...

Yikes, that would have had me moving RIGHT along...

Elkslayer338
Dec. 28, 2006, 03:48 AM
Found a guy who had a heart attack on a trail in Colorado about 5 miles in from the trail head. took 6 hours to get the search and rescue in and air lift him out. Had to perform CPR then go for help, the trail was to steep to ride fast so I ran the Five miles out to get help. Good news he made it and we are good Friends to this day"its been 12 years"

Their is one spot on a trail that I have used for the last twenty years that spooks just about every horse that goes threw it. whats strange is its open Aspen's and on a old wide logging trail. I have hiked above it and their I found all manner of game and domestic live stock Bones. The new guy's tell me they feel burdened or a heavy feeling comes over them at that spot. it is not far from a old one room log cabin long collapsed and some 8 miles from the nearest road. "note this year one of the guy's walked threw that spot and felt like he was being watched and he was a ten foot Cougar was following him. he took a picture and the flash scared it off I will post pic when he sends it to me"

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 28, 2006, 09:00 AM
Welcome to COTH jeano!

I've see guts and yuck left during deer season (and heads of doe's, legs w/ hooves, etc.) but never ever the heart left! Many hunters will pickle the heart and eat it. That would have sure creaped me out!!! :eek:

Where do you ride? Sounds kinda remote!

Horsecrazy27
Dec. 28, 2006, 02:34 PM
A HEART !! YUCK!!!

No tracks..... ICK!!!

Well, Elkslayer...good job!! Sounds like your a hero!!

Hey DQ thanks for getting back to me. :)

jeano
Dec. 28, 2006, 09:33 PM
It wasnt that remote, actually, a state park in Ohio, certainly rural, definitely a place where people COULD hunt, but no more than a 15 minute drive from the downtown of a large-ish city. Where I ride now (Middle Georgia) is much more remote. All I can figure, and what I want to believe, is that a hunter had field dressed his deer, was packing out the meat (including the heart) and that it got dropped and he didnt notice. THEN it snowed, and the heart wasnt snow covered because it was still warm and the snow didnt stick to it. That would have explained the lack of tracks or any other signs of anything violent happening. It did feel odd.

Willow42
Dec. 28, 2006, 10:27 PM
It's also possible that a hawk/vulture, etc. picked the heart out of the remains and dropped it in that spot in the snow. I saw a hawk drop something out of a tree once...when I rode up to the tree, there was a partially skinned snake on the gound under the branch. Ewww.

SiameseVA
Dec. 29, 2006, 02:27 AM
Must have been a bear - you wouldn't have heard the mountain lion. Don't forget people - bears can run as fast as a galloping horse and even with poor eyesight, they have great noses. And, the last thing you want to do when you encounter a mountain lion is run away.

I have heard this before--not to run away from a bear--but what are you supposed to do? I want to know this before I encounter one! :eek:

OMG the things y'all have seen! I can't think of a single weird thing I've seen on the trail. I guess I don't get out enough.

HorseTrouble
Dec. 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
Weirdest thing I have ever seen was a naked Santa Clause jogging... I say Santa Clause because he was older and had a big white beard and for how cold it was his cheeks where pretty red. After he spotted us he started chasing us! Of course it didn't take much encouragement on our part to get the horses to run away from him...

Another odd thing was spotting someone going # 2 in the middle of the trail. Rather akward moment... :lol:

DairyQueen2049
Dec. 29, 2006, 03:59 PM
Another odd thing was spotting someone going # 2 in the middle of the trail. Rather akward moment... :lol:

Doesn't common sense tell folks to get off the trail if they have to go?

That said, I know one gal in MI that WILL NOT get off the trail to go after she managed to pee in a patch of poison ivy. Ouch. :eek:

Sadie'sMom
Dec. 29, 2006, 05:11 PM
What a great thread! My weirdest moment was during a horse camping night. The horses were in their corrals, and we were just going to bed, it was late, and dark. The horses were looking off at something...and then we noticed what was going on in a nearby clearing (this was at a State Park). There were people, many people, with glow-sticks attached to their bodies in a way that made them look like skeletons, or stick people. They were having some sort of convention, or party. Playing some sort of hoops game (hoops made of glow sticks). And Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album was coming out of loudspeakers. I guess this goes on every year. Yeah, it was weird!

Gaited gal
Dec. 30, 2006, 11:55 PM
I board next to a nudist resort so I have come across many nude hikers out on the trails! My horse is getting used to them, used to really scare her.

sketcher
Dec. 31, 2006, 12:46 PM
I've got a couple.
(1) An exhibitionist - he saw us coming (mind you I was taking paying dudes out for a ride in Guatemala), jumped on his bike, rode ahead, sat down and .... well...you know...as we passed, then jumped on his bike and rode ahead of us again. Luckily, the guests could ride pretty well, so we hit up a nice hand gallop and lost him....

(2) A corpse. Yuppers - had paying guests again....cops were all excited and wanted us to take a look - they took the blanket off and asked if I recognized him....um....no. Gee pay for a nice bucolic ride in Antigua Guatemala, get a viewing of a dead body for free....

I've also been robbed at gunpoint 3 times while out riding. Once they stole the guest's shoes and my beeper, once they stole some money off the guests and then helped me get the nail out of my horse's hoof (while the other guy stood there shaking and pointing a gun at us...whatever).

Nothing beats Central America!
And after I left and moved back to the states, they found a head...yes, a woman's head...in the coffee trees at my (former) place. Fabulous.

Where did you live in Guatemala? I went to Antigua for a month about 5 years ago. I was supposed to be at language school but ended up skipping and often riding with a guy who owned a few horses with his wife right out of town (I can't remember the route but it was on the way to the volcano and their names were Fred and Puala. They were regulars in Dona Louisa's) They were interesting people! The story they told was that they had lived in India for years on a beach exporting hashish in holllowed out books. They were caught and told by the government that they had to leave or would be imprisoned so they stashed their cash in the US stock market in 1987 as they made their way to South America, probably with the plans of continuing their business. The stock market crashed in 87 and left them broke - they were in Guatemala when it happened and according to them they were stuck there financially.. They had about 4 horses and gave riding lessons to the rich kids and trail rides. Boy, keeping horses in Guatemala is tough!

sunhawk
Jan. 6, 2007, 10:07 PM
I was out with a friend, who brought his dog along. We stopped for a break, it was hot out, and there was no shade around so his dog settled down under his horse in the shade. Horse decided it was a good time for a pee, so he stretched out and started to whizz. Well, the dog didn't want to leave that shade for anything, wiggled around abit, but the horse pissed all over him.

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
LOL!!!

I just remembered one horse back riding time when a stray dog followed us on a bareback trail ride. (It started off for me riding my horse to the mail box and my nieghbor said-hey lets go to the desert for a bit! LOL) I was riding my Percheron/Qtr horse gelding that I had. He was very ROUND!! ANYWAY,
the dog got a head of us and then we all the sudden heard barking and rattling like crazy!! The dog ran back towards us in the same motion with the rattlesnake pissed and chasing it for a bit....then our horses both bolted into thick desert brush. I finally get Moosey stopped and he and I are both shaking. I couldn't see under the brush, but heard tons of rattleing!!! I let him do the instinct thing and pushed him a bit with my legs. We made it out of there, but it turns out there were around 10-? of baby rattle snakes ???? We must of been by a nesting/migration site!! HOLY CRAP!! No bites--thank God.

ICK!!!!!

questisthebest
Jan. 25, 2007, 03:35 AM
wow, what a great thread.. hmm. the scariest thing was on this trail i met this lady with a dog, we became great friends and i rode while she walked with her dog, anyways, we were trying to get to this pond but their are lots of loops so, me being from hawaii and not knowing any better i asked this guy a long the trail if he knew where it was, he said he did so we started following him, then he got out this maybe 8 inch knife? and started throwing it at trees and logs, mind you he sucked! he was throwing it near the horses, this dog, and several people, well when he thought we were following him we slowly turned around and went off the trail as far as wee could and went around the long way home. Patty (the lady) said shes remembred him from a year ago, apparently he was throwing knives at trees on the path about fourty feet away where he couldnt see if someone was coming... hmmm

it was strange, on one trail i used to go on we would always pass by atleast a dozen or so big blue buckets hanging on branches..

questisthebest
Jan. 25, 2007, 03:52 AM
ooh, also came across a badger on my very first trail ride

Appaloosa1224
Jan. 25, 2007, 12:41 PM
When I was riding on a road once, we rode by 2 people laying naked on their front yard, I guess tanning? It was just a bit strange...
We also saw a baby deer laying down by the side of the trail. It was sooo cute!

DairyQueen2049
Jan. 25, 2007, 02:57 PM
There were manequins down the road from one place that i boarded. The couple that lived there had a ball with the manequins placing them in different areas of their yard in all states of dress and undress - I recall one 4th of July that the lady manequin pranced across the yard disrobing as the days of the week passed - July 1 she was in a red white and blue spring fling dress, red hat, red pumps - July 2nd one pump was gone, as was the dress - now she sported a star spangled bikini - july 3 the hat came off and the other pump - July 4 she was prancing with only the bikini top in her hand....

Funny stuff

Mtn trails
Jan. 25, 2007, 03:15 PM
Most bears are more scared of you than you are of them and will beat feet out of the area before you're even aware they're there. Unless, of course, it's a hungry grizzly then you're pretty much toast or lunch whatever the case may be. Bears for the most part won't chase very far, just far enough to make sure you're gone but for heaven's sake, don't climb a tree!

With mountain lions, make lots of noise, throw things at him, wave your arms, scream, yell, just make yourself more of a pain in the ass than you're worth to him.

One strange thing I did see was a guy doing trick riding on his horse as he was going down the trail. He'd leap off one side, bounce his feet and over to the other side, bounce back up and go under the horse's neck, around his tail and all of this was done bareback with just a halter and lead rope. It was pretty neat.

josierider
Jan. 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
Hey, is this the same nude jogger, or is there more than one???? (Hard to believe that would be true!)

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/01/25/571217.html&cvqh=itn_nudejogger

Anyplace Farm
Jan. 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
My favorite was when my friend's horse spooked at some unseen force. She's very short and her horse is fairly tall. She was pretty exasperated because she wasn't sure how she was going to get back on. I said, "I know how you'll get back on -- by using that chair." And there, just off the trail was a perfectly good green plastic chair. We laughed about that for days.

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 26, 2007, 10:28 PM
Cool that this is still going.

I just remembered riding with my friend Robin, we were out in the middle of the desert....and came upon this place ...a run down looking house, with all kinds of old cars and such parked there. The wierdest thing was his fence was lined with heads!! Heads of cows, horses, and Lord knows what else! It was very much like a scary movie, we FREAKED out and turned to gallup away. Very gross as many still had flesh on them! SO GROSS

Still brain storming.....

Jan. 29, 2007, 01:11 AM
The guy jogging in a towel(Chatsworth) because the police in Malibu gave him a ticket for jogging nude there. Not sure if he was the AZ jogger- do you get points for populated areas?
When he would come near riders/hikers/ people he would put on the towel otherwise he was in the buff.

Until this thread I thought that was right up there with the undead monkey.

Horsecrazy27
May. 27, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hello,

Opening this up to talk about the weird thing we saw on the trail. We were riding and there were 2 guys digging a hole in the desert!!! In the middle of no where... a HUGE hole. We booked it out of there and later visited the hole again--it is big enough for like 4 bodys!!...but it is empty. We reported it, but it was spooky.

We were talking on the trail ride and her friend in the same desert found a man that was hung in a tree?????? OMG!! And another found 2 people that were shot!!!!!!!! In this same area that the naked jogger runs!! Can you believe that? This is such a nice part of time. All this in a 5 year time span--but, holy cow!!

One of the last rides my hubby and I went on, we have 4 deer following us!! LOL!! It was cute!!

lizathenag
May. 27, 2007, 04:25 AM
I used to ride through the Timothy Leary estate in the 60s. . .

Horsecrazy27
May. 29, 2007, 12:36 AM
I used to ride through the Timothy Leary estate in the 60s. . .

WHO? I'm probably the only one who doesn't know what/who he is?

Foxhunter49
May. 29, 2007, 01:28 AM
We do not have bears, moose or armadillo's in the UK but here is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I had been retraining an OTTB, a very pretty and correct 4 yr old filly that was totally scatty to ride and thought that everything had to be done FAST.

I had spent about 6 months working her both in and out of the arena and things were improving.
At the same time I had an old grey horse that was totally bomb proof nothing phased him. I had ridden him in the heaviest traffic and he never turned a hair, and what is more, if riding a youngster he was always quick to give them 'that' look if they started to play up and was a very steadying influence.

My b/friend was riding the grey and I was on the mare. We were out riding through some commercial orchards and I told Bill to go ahead. The mare remained calm and I told him to canter on ahead and wait when he got to the top.
He cantered on ahead amd the mare remained walking on a long rein watching but not in the slightest worried about catching him up.
Bill was about three quarters of the way along the canter when I asked the mare to canter. She remained on a loose rein and although she was covering the ground she was not running off.
Me? I was thrilled that she had remained relaxed and that I seemed to have broken the barrier, and was patting her on the neck and pulling her ears (which she loved) saying 'Who's a clever girl? Who is not a racehorse anymore?'
So engrossed was I in praising her that before I knew it we were turning onto the main trail, whenshe slammed straight into the back end of the grey who was stopped just around the corner.
The grey horse was planted in the middle of the track and was refusing to go past two knapsacks and two piles of clothes very neatly stacked to the side of the track, the boots, even had socks hanging over the back of them! It looked like they were there for an army kit inspection.
On the other side of the track were two people, a rather large (make that very large) middle aged lady, who was stark naked and trying to hide behind an apple tree which was a little like trying to hide a car behind a lamp post.
In front of her stood a young man who could well have hidden behind the tree - I have seen more meat on a butcher pencil! Poor lad didn't know whether to hide his face or his private parts!
The old grey horse was about 26 hands high and was refusing to go past their kits, the mare was joining i the game and Bill and I were laughing so hard that our kicks were feeble - eventually both horses rushed past and took off down the main trail. We finally pulled up and I was dismayed thinking that I had just undone all my hard work but fortunately the mare took it all in her (new) stride.

Risk-Averse Rider
May. 29, 2007, 01:48 AM
I was thinking about you the other morning, HorseCrazy, when Mr. Blondie and I were out hacking in our neighborhood (near 64th & Dynamite, so not too far from you).

We discovered that there are mountain lions in the neighborhood.

Very clever mountain lions.

So clever, in fact, that they disguise themselves as schoolchildren waiting for the bus. They congregate under trees by the side of the road and lie in wait for unsuspecting horses to come along, and then... they ATTACK!

While they wait, they text message:

HEY HR CMZ 1
HEH HEH A FAT PLMINO
2 FAT 2 RUN!!!!!
U GO BHIND HM
K

But there was no fooling Mr. Blondie. He saw through their disguises. There was NO WAY he was going near those dangerous creatures. Uh-uh.

Horsecrazy27
May. 29, 2007, 09:48 PM
RAR.....so funny!!!! I saw a person riding a paly the other day over there----I'll have to wave!!! :) We have a grey impala and a white chevy duramax---I'm a plumpish burnette and I'll give a shout!! :)

I'm usually on a buckskin, dark bay or chestnut....soon to be on a pinto! Both horses and rider are large. :)

dressagetraks
Jun. 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
Years ago, I was trotting merrily along a back road on my half-Arabian, half-lunatic gelding, Bam Bam. Suddenly, Bam gave one of his patented half rear and 90-180 degree spins. I managed to stay on, this time at least, and started looking for what set him off. When I saw it, I nearly spooked myself.

The road ran beside a tall hayfield, hay ready to be cut. Across this hayfield came two miniature fins, setting off the Jaws theme in my mind. Honestly, if the hayfield were an ocean, they would have been sharks. That's exactly what they looked like, and they were honing in on us unerringly (increase the theme music). Bam had his telescope neck on, ears at full alert, and was ready to blast off, and I had my hands full keeping him facing the thing. Walking off under control wasn't an option; we were either going to get outta Dodge or stay there to fight, but we weren't just making a controlled exit.

Finally, when the shark fins got right up to the edge of the road, we were able to work it out. It was a pony, very small pony who had gotten into the hayfield somehow. He had heard Bam's hoofbeats and was just coming over to say hi, but due to his comparative height to that of the hay, all that showed all the way across that field were the tips of his dark bay ears.