PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in trailer tack rooms?

4Martini
Dec. 15, 2006, 07:07 PM
Just curious since I've been wondering about this and someone mentioned it in the cost savings thread.

Is it generally acceptable to sleep in your trailer tack room at an event? Now I don't have a big fancy gooseneck, just a regular slant load tackroom. But, I've measured and a cot will fit in there. It's nearly as big as the walk in closet I lived in in grad school anyway.

Is this totally Ghetto, or do people do it? I used to kayak all the time and would sleep in the back of my truck for a week at a time. I promise to bring my sun shower...:)

Are there events where this is illegal?

Just trying to learn protocall...

CookiePony
Dec. 15, 2006, 07:11 PM
It seems to be quite common!

I know someone who brought her horse to somebody else's farm for a week-- there was a perfectly good guest bedroom in the house that was available to her, but she chose her gooseneck.

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
I used to do a lot of overnights at shows and I have a 2 horse straight load and what my mom and I would do (because my tack room is crammed) is put up cots in the horse area. We cleaned it (obviously) and put down a tarp, put the folding camp cots in the back with matresses on them. The walls were wiped down and it was cozy in the back. There is room for your cooler to be a bed stand and what not. Worked very well... :)

HiJumpGrrl
Dec. 15, 2006, 07:27 PM
We do it! I shacked up with Jeannette this past spring, and anticipate doing it again this spring. I'm also not above pitching a tent outside of our trailer and crashing on the ground.Thus it's really great when facilities have showers on grounds...

RAyers
Dec. 15, 2006, 08:00 PM
I have spent upwards of 2 weeks living out of my tackroom. A lot of eventers do it. I have an adage, you can tell the level of the rider by what they live in at a competition. The upper level riders (at least the amateurs) seem to live in ghettos (since they are spending all of their money to show). Went to 3 World Cup Qualifier events this past year and I swear the majority of riders camped.

I put a power inverter in my trailer so I can have tunes and TV. I have an arctic sleeping bag for those cold locals, and a Sun Shower to wash. Of course it sometimes is easier to beg showers from those with living quarter trailers by bringing a six-pack of their favorite beer. I have a gooseneck so I put some camping matresses up top and sleep up there. I also have an indoor rated propane heater for the cold mornings. It is great!

Reed

Caroline Weber
Dec. 15, 2006, 08:01 PM
I do it as a WS when my trainer and I take the babies to their first few shows (usually dressage shows) and it's just the two of us. Saves us hotel costs and we can keep a closer eye on the young'uns.

TheOtherHorse
Dec. 15, 2006, 08:55 PM
I'm always on a budget, so I sleep in my trailer at shows. I have a 2 horse straight load w/ a dressing room that extends under the mangers for saddle racks. Conveniently, it is the exact shape/size of a full size inflatable mattress! I just move the tack to the horse area, and sleep in the dressing room. Since I'm usually nervous the night before showing and don't sleep well, we bring an inverter so we can have lights to read or listen to music/audio books. I might bring a small TV next time, great idea... :lol:

It seems fairly common though-- there were even several people sleeping in tents at the HT we went to a few months ago. It would be nice to have living quarters, but it works out okay in the dressing room. Plus, my hubby likes camping, so it is kind of like we're doing something he likes too when we go to an overnight show/event! :winkgrin:

Eventrgrl
Dec. 15, 2006, 09:08 PM
so is it free to do this?

you dont have to pay any fee's?

jreventer
Dec. 15, 2006, 09:20 PM
At events the camping areas are typically packed full of people camping in their trailers...most places charge a small fee per night if you want a camping space (if they have them which the bigger facilities typically do)...normally around 25/night and you get a power hook up and water. We just have a slant load gooseneck so used extension cords so we could have heaters if cold and lights. Some facilties also have showers available which makes it nice.
I think if you didn't want power you could just stay in the trailer in the parking area although I would check with the event facility first

RunForIt
Dec. 15, 2006, 09:29 PM
:cool: like Reed, I have an artic sleeping bag - just zip myself into it in my gooseneck on the fullbed VERY HARD (which I LOVE) mattress and I'm just fine. Have to have music, which plain old batteries and the CD player provide, reading by flashlight is no problem...I never event in the summer, though I did volunteer at the AREAIII championships last year in the beyond-sweltering daytime heat and we had LOVELY cool evenings...yes, I slept in my trailer! Poplar Place Farm has the very best bathrooms - WON-DeR-FUL hot shower with real tile and mirrors in the shower room. There's a lot of money to save staying in my trailer that I can use on the horses, PLUS its comfortable and fun!!! :cool:

enjoytheride
Dec. 15, 2006, 09:37 PM
ummm, we sleep in a tent. A trailer tackroom would be a serious upgrade for us.

octavian_jazz
Dec. 15, 2006, 09:39 PM
We have a 2 horse BP with a small (not big enough for a matress) tack room, so we clean out the trailer and sleep in the back. We always have sleeping bags, even in the summer. It may be because I sleep well anywhere, but in a way it's kind of cozy. We've never come across a facility that minds us sleeping in the trailer. It really does save a lot of money, and I have to agree that it is somewhat fun.

lizathenag
Dec. 15, 2006, 09:41 PM
We've never come across a facility that minds us sleeping in the trailer.

Pebble Beach in the 80s. . .They were quite unpleasant.

Coyoteco
Dec. 15, 2006, 10:22 PM
The Coleman Hot Water on Demand shower unit is great. It runs on propane and a small battery. I got mine at the Coleman Outlet store for $105.00 at one of their sales. There is an older thread in the Endurance-Trail Riding section about "outfitting a trailer" and there are a lot of excellent tips in that thread.

Carol Ames
Dec. 15, 2006, 10:35 PM
I used to do it in a two horse with no dressing room:no: , and even slept in the stall atRadnor,:yes: I seem to recall someone sleeping in a tent ; you do what you have to do to "get it done !"

NeverTime
Dec. 15, 2006, 11:01 PM
Trailer?!? For the first two years I evented with my current horse, I'd sleep across the bench seat of the pickup. (Seemed cleaner and better smelling than putting down a sleeping bag in the actual trailer.) It sucked b/c you're kind of on an angle, the seatbelt is poking you in the back, and you have zero privacy once the sun comes up. But, hey, it was free!

But, I have to say, a mutual friend of RAyers and mine surely must qualify as the QUEEN of trailer camping. She's got a GN stock trailer (no separate tack room) and she turns that thing from horse hauler to deluxe camper in 10 minutes flat.

After the horses are unloaded, she mucks it out, sweeps the clean shavings to the back and stacks grain, hay, etc. back there, moves the partition to separate off that horse stuff at the very back of the trailer, then puts down rugs (seriously!) cots, linens, a camp stove, lights (she's got reams of extension cord), music, lawn chairs, coolers ... heck, at the last event we went to together, she'd even upgraded her sun shower by purchasing a "shower tent" -- about 2x2 feet and 7 feet tall, that you hang the sunshower inside so you can get nekkid and actually SHOWER.

Super comfy to live in at shows, and super impressive how quickly she converts it from one use to the other!:D

Gnep
Dec. 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
I guess I am the sissy, after years of sleeping in the tack area, I finaly got the cutting torch and Welder out an butchered my trailer.
Now I do not shower in the horse compartment I have a real shower with its own potty, I got a mayor fridge, holds 217 cans of beer and a steak, a stereo that makes the roof pop up and down, it leaks now, gotta do something about the leaking, stove, sink and a nice comfy bed.
Its so much nicer now.
Anybody need a cutting torch lesson ??

Nancy!
Dec. 15, 2006, 11:18 PM
Reed: What make and model is your indoor propane heater?

We have a lovely gooseneck LQ trailer. Unfortunately hubby shows as well -except in western events. :( So we have to share the good trailer. The other is a gooseneck stock trailer. I put a foam mattress in the bunk and there is enough room for the dog and I. (I did get a bit claustrophic when a friend and I and the dog were up there.:lol: ) I move all my tack back to the horse compartment as the "tack" room is tiny but it is enough room to sleep and keep my clothes.

I've even had friends stay in the back of our LQ trailer. Way cheaper than 2 hotel rooms. We had the LQ bed, one person on the table that folds down to a bed, left the door open to the horse compartment and had 4 people sleep back there. We cleaned out the trailer, swept it, put down some Stall Dry (to cut the smell), laid tarps down, then foam mattresses and then their sleeping bags. 7 people slept really well.

Have only had one place want $5 a night when we sleep in our trailers. Lots of people up here in Alberta and BC do it.

Nancy!

ThreeHorseNight
Dec. 15, 2006, 11:24 PM
I know a lot of people who sleep in trailers or tents at events (and I'm not talking about the big, fancy trailers). I have a two-horse straightload, andn two teenagers have slept in it several times. There's room for two cots (which are pretty expensive at Walmart) or you can put down an air mattress. If you don't have a fully enclosed trailer, do contemplate what will happen in heavy rain.

4Martini
Dec. 16, 2006, 12:14 AM
Whoo Hoo - Great news for my budget! I love camping anyway!

I was thinking of putting up one of those camping hammocks in my tack room (or the back) anyone tried that tactic?

Also, how far of a drive before you stay over vs. commute?

For showers, can you just put on a bikini and go to the waterhose (sorry -it's the kayaker in me) or would shampooing at the waterhose be an issue?

Thanks!

Toadie's mom
Dec. 16, 2006, 12:33 AM
Also, how far of a drive before you stay over vs. commute?

My rule of thumb on that is 60miles. I 2nd,3rd,4th,etc. many above responses. I have a 3horse slant w/dressing room but no LQ. I have a mattress in the gooseneck, several lanterns, and sometimes borrow a small propane cookstove from a friend. The longest I've stayed in the trailer was 5 nights and the facility did have showers thank god!
Unfortunately I know someone who was asphyxiated running a gas heater in her trailer at an event, so I don't use any heat other than sleeping in my clothes inside an "arctic" sleeping bag. On the flip side I just cannot tolerate sleeping in mine when it's hot, so then I get a room or stay home!

Heinz 57
Dec. 16, 2006, 03:42 AM
This year I slept in the second row seat of my Suburban. I'm 5'7", and had I been just a little bit shorter it would've been long enough, but as it were - I don't sleep stretched out, so it was comfy. I didn't wake up anymore than normal, either. AND - you get a nice wakeup call when the announcer starts calling at 6:30 in the morning!

It was pretty warm, too. I had a sleeping bag and some blankets.

I'm also told that you can fit a double air mattress in the back of the suburban, but I have yet to try it!

IFG
Dec. 16, 2006, 09:00 AM
Reed,

A TV? Shouldn't you be using that down time editing manuscripts? ;)

For me, eventing with my daughters now, we camp in a tent. I like a shower, so I often splurge the $20 or so for a campground with showers, but after reading this thread, the Coleman shower thing is sounding a worthwhile investment. Huntington has the stream to clean up in. No one charges for a backpacking tent. I have no hook-ups. I have to say, my husband was rather peeved to hear that we had pitched the good tent on top of manure piles in a field, but he is a good egg and is still talking to me.

Only place around here that doesn't let you camp on grounds (due to local ordinances) is GMHA.

Gnep
Dec. 16, 2006, 09:16 AM
Martini, that is COLD water, yaiks, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Propane heater are ok during the day, but I would advice against them during the night, CO2.

Toadies Mom, closest show is 300 miles

RAyers
Dec. 16, 2006, 10:36 AM
Reed: What make and model is your indoor propane heater?

I have a Mr. Heater. I NEVER run it while I sleep. I only run it at the end of the day and when I wake up. I also make sure I have 2 air sources open (window on door and roof vent). I have run it for several hours continuous and have not had a problem but I agree with others and do not trust it when I sleep. Coleman also has an indoor rated catalytic heater.

As for the person Nevertime mentions, she beats EVERYBODY at trailer camping! She rides at the *** level by the way, hence my previous observation. The only probelm about camping with her is you need to make sure you have several other ways to get out of your trailer.

Reed

Long Shadow Farm
Dec. 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
My father and I built the living quarters in my trailer. When I ordered it new, I had them build an extra large space in the front and then we added all the stuff to it to make a nice living quarters. I invested about $5000.00 in the materials but now that the trailer is paided for, it is wonderful. That is an option if you have a handy hubby or father or SO. I cannot stand to do without my shower...... the rest yes...... the shower no.

Bobbi

rileyiscuter
Dec. 16, 2006, 11:42 AM
Greyiscute is a big fan of using a camping hammock. In nice weather, it is strung up outside. She even stays in it if I get a hotel room...can sleep in a few minutes in the morning!

Coyoteco
Dec. 16, 2006, 01:41 PM
A couple of additional thoughts that came to me after I posted. Thre is a company called "Road Pro" that has numerous things that can be plugged into a cigarette lighter or 12 v plugin - from ovens to electric blankets - really intesting stuff to me.
The other thought was something someone brought to a business meeting we had at a remote location. They had a 12v printer that worked off their cigarette lighter. The print quality was very good.

hb
Dec. 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
At events I've slept in a tent, in the bed of a pickup under a canopy, in the back of my explorer with the seats down, on a cot in a 2-horse trailer, and in the nose part of a goose-neck (not living quarters, the tackroom type). A couple of years ago I picked up a cheapo 20 year old used camper for about $1,000 and I feel like it's a castle!

In the NW camping at events is pretty standard. I groomed for a friend at an event in CA and it seemed that only about 1/4 of the people camped, most hotelled it. Not sure what's done on the other coast.

Duramax
Dec. 16, 2006, 05:55 PM
I have friends who go the camp hammock route. They swear by it. There sure would be lots of places to attatch it with all the tie rings usually found in a trailer. I've done the bathing suit in the washrack routine too. Didn't get too many weird looks although I waited till later in the evening. :lol:

Gnep
Dec. 16, 2006, 06:58 PM
Long Shadow, I did the same thing, but you need to be rather handy with tools. I spent 4k on my living quarters and put them into my 12 year old steel trailer. It took 2 month, but I love it.

kellyb
Dec. 16, 2006, 07:12 PM
Doesn't bother me a bit. I like to be close to the horses/equipment...I feel detached if I'm in a hotel 5 miles down the road.

RunForIt
Dec. 16, 2006, 07:12 PM
Gnep and LongShadow, at some point could you post pics of your living quarters? I have an extra long dressing room in my GN trailer. Have considered putting in one of those "weekend packages"...all I really want is to be able to have a little heat or AC; I generally event where there's a shower or have friends who stay in motels so there's a shower available. I MUST have coffee as soon as I get up so electricity SOMEWHERE is a necessity - generally no problem - just plug in at my horses' stalls. Anyway - I'd love to see what y'all did with your trailers. :cool:

Gnep
Dec. 16, 2006, 10:17 PM
Runfor IT.
Iam good with a torch and a welder. My trailer had a dressing room an a tackroom, 4 horse slant. I took one horse stall out, installt a new kickwall, and cut the tackroom out and put it in the rear.
So quiet an operation. I had before I started already what is called a weekend thing built into it.
Waht I had done fot it was, having a kitchen kabinett builder built me the kitchen stuff ( see pictures ). I used this built out, when I remodeled the thing.
The kabinets cost 1400, they are built out of hardwood plywood, birch, very sturdy stuff, which with satnds the twists and shaking of the trailer. It is amazing how those long trailers twist and flex.
I installed a hotwater heater, 350, sheepest model I could find, 2 gallons.
As a toilet I use a toilet out of those very small Pick Up pop ups, 650. Shower basin, e-bay 40. Fridge ebay, 600.
Material 1000 for the final built out.

Pics

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/guehardt/album/576460762375132355

Daydream Believer
Dec. 16, 2006, 10:40 PM
I used to sleep in my trailer all the time. I had a hole drilled in the floor to run a power cord in and could run an electric heater and a light. I have (still) a porta potty in there as I HATE having to go outside at night to use the portalet. For that matter, I hate portalets and would rather use my portapotty anyway. I'd have a cooler with some drinks and I was toasty and happy in there. I remember one night at Virginia in November before I had the heater...I woke up to ice all over the windows and it was like 20F in there. The dog would not get out of the sleeping bag either...Brrr.....

RiverBendPol
Dec. 17, 2006, 07:43 AM
I sleep in the trailer if it is only for 1 night. I got a couple of "Swedish cots" from LL Bean and they are SO comfy. How come it gets SO COLD in the trailer at night?! It cracks me up-one morning I woke up-it was August in NY-I was frozen. Sleeping bag and wool cooler. Got dressed in turtleneck, polar fleece, socks, etc. Opened the door and found it was already 80 degrees outside! Now I sleep with the back doors open and it doesn't go below zero in there.

4cornersfarm
Dec. 17, 2006, 08:08 AM
4Martini wrote:

Are there events where this is illegal?

GMHA does not allow camping of any sort. At least they haven't in the past, I haven't been up there in a while, but I remember reading on their website that they don't allow it.

S4zeus
Dec. 17, 2006, 10:18 AM
I find this all very excited as I have never once had to stay at a show. I usually live close enough that we can haul back and forth over the weekend and I have yet to experience a three-day.

You are saving money by you not needing a hotel room, but do your horses get stalls? That can't be cheap either. I have seen entries where the stalls are nearly as much as the entry itself. So where do your horses live on these long weekends?

RunForIt
Dec. 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
Mine live in the comfy, EXPENSIVE stalls at events - no other choice! The only time I didn't love their accomodations was this past summer in the temporary stalls at Poplar Place for the Area III championships - WAAAAYYYYY too hot, and no electric outlets for fans. Everyone was rigging lots of extension cords and putting up fans - too risky for me so we went home. I was only there to scribe and jump judge and get Buddy out for the first time since his EPM - no problem heading home and escaping the heat! Knowing Donna and Gary's attention to problems, they'll have that one dealt with before this year's Area III championships. :yes: :cool:

LAZ
Dec. 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
I also built a LQ in my trailer and stay in it. I love it! I ordered the trailer new with an 8' dressing room, camping screen door, big picture window on the wall opposite the door, and a walk through door into the horse compartment. I put a dinette/drop down table under the window so it does duty as seating, sleeps one, and has loads of storage in the two boxes. There is a row of 15" cabinets above the window and over the dinette. I built a stack of shelves against the horse bulkhead wall that serves as the end of the dinette and added 3 drawers on the bottom. I left the very bottom of the stack open and that's where I put spare shoes. On the opposite wall I put cabinets and a sink, stove, and dorm-sized fridge. I got cabinets at Menards, finished them and put shortie wall cabinets over the dinette. If I were to do it again I'd do like Gnep and get heavier duty cabinets to start with as I've had to reinforce the hanging cabinets to keep them from falling down. I have two seperate light systems, a 12 volt that runs the ceiling fan, multiple lights, and powers a 12V outlet for 12V appliances, and a regular 110V for when I'm plugged in--it runs the microwave, fridge, heater, and two different lights. Wiring all by itself makes my eyes roll back in my head so I didn't try doing an inverter.

I also insulated and paneled the ceiling, which was the physically hardest job of the whole project (well, I try to forget getting the 23.5" cabinet through the 23" door). It was well worth it though, it can be pretty darn cold outside and it's toasty inside, and the insulation really helps keep noise levels down.

I use a portapot in the horse compartment, and have a propane fired shower that I can use in the horse compartment as well, I just crank up the nose so the water runs out the back.

I've stayed in it for as long as 12 days and was perfectly fine.

If I were to do it again I'd leave the stove out of the trailer--I've only used it once, I set my campstove up outside much more often, and I'd go with one of the RV fridges that run on propane as well as electric.

dunthat
Dec. 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
we used to camp in our stock trailer.

one word of caution - please be careful using any kind of heat source in your trailers or tack rooms. Carbon monoxide can build up. It is critical to have ventilation. A rider died a few years back at Kentucky (not sure it was the 3-day), it was cold and she had a heater in her tack room where she was sleeping, and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please be careful!

KBG Eventer
Dec. 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
We have a GN with an air conditioner as well as a heater and a fairly nice mattress in it. I have wanted to sleep in it, but I never have. My dad has slept in there a couple of times though. :)

4Martini
Dec. 17, 2006, 11:01 AM
Wow, I'm so impressed with the handiness of everyone!

Gnep - what kind of beer do you like? (AKA - NICE SHOWER!):lol:

Coyoteco
Dec. 17, 2006, 05:43 PM
Nice living quarters and great pictures Gnep. Where does your shower water drain to? LAZ said her water drains out the back, is that the most common disposition of shower water or do some of you use some kind of gray water disposal system?
Back to Gnep's set up - your toilet has it's own holding tank? Do you just pull that out and dump it at some RV dump station?
Thanks for any answer. It all seems pretty simple to me except the disposition of used water, etc.
There have been some pretty interesting threads concerning building living quarters at trailer worlds forum.

Gnep
Dec. 17, 2006, 07:07 PM
The toilet has its own tank, 5 gallons, you pull it out and either use a dumping station or the show portapotties. Its very simple and clean.
For the shower I have a grey water tank. Most of the shows I can attach a garden hose to it and use the water to water some plants, or let it drain in the manur pile or some other place were it will not make a muddy mess.
I double insulated the roof with 2 inches of high density styrophoam. The biggest problem is condensation built up on the metalparts of the trailer. Thats why I installed wooden spars, 1x4 to the 1x1 metalpipes of the roof.

2 things were very help full, liquid nails glue and an air finish nailer. I glued every thing, even if I screwed it or nailed it down.
The biggest problem was, to arange every thing in the limited space. After I had gutted the trailer, tackroom out, number one stall out, and installing the kickwall to the horse compartment, the big moving around started. It took 2 days till I found a satisfactory solution. Than one more thing that was a little problematic was the angels, caused by the slant and that even a trailer from a well known company has not realy any right angels. Basicly everything is straight forward, till you get into the details, thats when one finds out that one has to do a lot of detail work, time consuming, to make things look right.

One real nice thing is the storing space above the fridge. Those fridges produce a lot of heat, If one stores the clothe in there one can put on nicely pre warmed clothe in the morning. If that aint the ultimate expression of luxury, I don't know.

Martini, my ultimate beer of choice is a nicely tempert Velentines. But in this babaric neck of the woods, I had to lower myself to either Mexican Brew or Colorado Cool Aid ( which rather disgust my buddy Reed, who prevers the baby pee from those micro breweries )

gillenwaterfarm
Dec. 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
I sleep in mine. I have an 8' long wall dressing/tack room GN. I have a full size futon mattress in the neck, and a toddler bed on the long wall for my daughter. It fits the three humans and two dogs quite nicely. I've got a microwave and toaster on top of a tall but narrow 5 drawer chest, and a few plugs to use lights and a portable dvd player (mostly for entertaining the three year old human). I do want to step up to a more comfortable queen sized mattress soon, as that futon mattress is as hard as a rock after two years of use.

I had an AC unit with a heat strip installed for comfort in the southern summers. The heat strip works ok, but on really cold nights, we got an electric shop heater from Lowes which helps a bunch (and you don't have to worry about carbon monoxide). The other thing that helps insulate from the cold is sleeping on top of a down comfortor or electric blanket. The mattress doesn't insulate well against the cold that seeps through the underside of the neck.

I have not gotten around to insulating any part of the "LQ" yet, it is my summer project. I do wonder if it will be worthwhile, as I have yet to have any problems with condensation...

RunForIt
Dec. 17, 2006, 08:33 PM
:confused: when any of you say that you have an eight ft dressing room, does that include the GN wall or do you have a wall that is 8 ft long FROM the GN "bed"? Will measure mine both ways tomorrow. :cool:

AppJumpr08
Dec. 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
I have not gotten around to insulating any part of the "LQ" yet, it is my summer project. I do wonder if it will be worthwhile, as I have yet to have any problems with condensation...

I insulated the roof of my trailer myself - VERY easy to do. I used the 'sheets' of foam insulation with foil on both sides - bought it at home depot and cut it to fit between the ribs of the trailer - scored one side so it would bend around the curves of the trailer, and glued it into place with some kind of indoor/outdoor adhesive (can't remember what kind off the top of my head). Took maybe a couple of hours, and made all the difference in the world when it came to heating and cooling the LQ area (my setup sounds very similar to yours - I took the 8' dressing room and added what I needed). Even on nights where the temp dropped into the 20s, I almost cooked myself out with a small ceramic heater :)

Mudroom2
Dec. 18, 2006, 08:44 AM
, holds 217 cans of beer and a steak,

It sounds like you might need help with this ratio. What is your schedule next year, I will bring my own steak!

LAZ
Dec. 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
:confused: when any of you say that you have an eight ft dressing room, does that include the GN wall or do you have a wall that is 8 ft long FROM the GN "bed"? Will measure mine both ways tomorrow. :cool:

Mine is a two horse straight load--so 8' long by 6'2" wide dressing room, the gooseneck is another 7' long and the horse box is 10' long. The total footprint of the box is 18'.

I'm like Gnep--the hard part on mine was deciding the layout. I used duct tape and laid it all out to see how it was going to work prior to actually making anything.

Mine's perfect for me and two dogs, you've got to be good friends to have two (unrelated) people for more than a weekend.

RunForIt
Dec. 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
LAZ, when/if you get a chance, could you PM me your trailer make/model? Did you have it customized re: dressing/tack room dimensions or could you order it from the factory with those specs?

Thanks! Lynda :cool:

NeverTime
Dec. 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
Slightly off topic, but I was in Lowe's last night and found a nifty camping light for $3.98. It's one of those battery-powered deals that you push to turn on and off, but it's got a magnet on the back so you could take it wherever you wanted in the trailer (to read a book in the GN, to brush teeth outside, whatevs) and not have to permanently mount it w/adhesive. I've seen these lights before, but I'd never seen the magnet back. I bought it.

Lori T
Dec. 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
Well I think it is time to have Jen face reality and that is that we need to start sleeping in the trailer....not a problem for me. I only have a 2 horse horse with a dressing room, but there is no reason we can't sleep in the back.
We always stable Imp, even for Rocking Horse. I hate driving Imp back and forth to the barn, which is an hour and a half and $6 in tolls each time, and I figure what with gas, it is about the same cost to stable. We go home ourselves, because the house is only an hour, but every time we do, I tell myself that next time we are camping! I like the idea of sleeping in the trailer.

purplnurpl
Dec. 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
The Chevy trucks have seats in the back that will lay down flat and leave enough room for a blow up mattress. But don't let anyone open the doors!! You'll tumble out! either that or I pitch a tent. If they require a grounds fee for the tent I sleep in my truck. I sleep on grounds to save money, not to pay 25 bucks and be uncomfortable. heck, its only 25 bucks for a hotel with 3 roomies, a shower, and TV.

I plan on up grading to the smallest GN possible in the next 2 years or so. : )
No LQ. Just a mattress and I may have an air conditioner put on the top.

camping is fun anyway. You get to stay out late and drink coctail with eventing buddies and b*tch about who ever scored in teh 20s in dressage.
lol!

RunForIt
Dec. 18, 2006, 03:20 PM
:winkgrin: I'm glad you said "it's fun" purplnurpl, CAUSE IT IS!!!! I'd MUCH rather stay on the grounds with my horses - can't quite explain it, but for me, at least, jsut makes the whole weekend more fun. Plus, you DO get to listen to all the "late night" gossip...:cool:

North Dakota
Dec. 18, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm so excited, i'm going to camp next year!!! i haven't camped yet, but i really like the idea to sleep in the back. i've already convinced my friend who comes to help me that it WILL be fun!

Foxygrl516
Dec. 18, 2006, 09:58 PM
We always sleep in the trailer or seat of the truck at Horse Trials :) That's why when I bought my trailer this year it was a requirement that it have a dressing room of sorts. They are generally the PERFECT size for an air mattress! I lucked out and found a trailer with cool little living quarters. It's just a 2H BP but the dressing room has cushioned bench seating along front and side wall, full lenth mirror on back wall with TV hanging above it, and a cabinet next to the door complete with mini-fridge and microwave. It also has heat/AC on the ceiling (heats/cools that thing instantly!!!) and the bench opposite the door folds out into a twin/full size bed with a clothes hanging rack over the (not folding) bench! It has a water tank under the other bench seat too with a spicket on the outside of the trailer. It's really awsome. All of the tack storage is under the mangers (accessible only from outside like most 2 horse straight loads). They're great too b/c they have several bridle hangers, 2 slide-out saddle racks, wrap racks, and shelves.

Don't get me wrong, we've definately spend our time doing it more primitive-like. I actually haven't done an overnight HT with my new trailer (can't wait to though!) When I work the blue trailer I sleep there and there is no insulation, heat, air, nothin. If it's cold I buy those hand warming packets that look like tea bags and put one on each ear under an ear warmer and one in each sock and crawl into a sleeping bag. Works great!

Happy Camping!

RunForIt
Dec. 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
:lol: ok, how do tvs work in horse trailers? Do you have some sort of satelite access? This would definitely help Mr. RunForIt come along on weekends when Georgia is playing football (generally no problem listening to it on the MANY radios blaring plays and scores!). :eek: :cool:

Foxygrl516
Dec. 18, 2006, 11:01 PM
:) The TV gets like 4 or 5 channels regularly (basic NBC, ABC, etc). For football weekends I have a spare DirecTV dish and reciever that I take and set up and get all the channels. It's super easy! Just need to look up the coordinate necessary for wherever you are that weekend and bring a compass! Even I could figure it out and that kind of stuff is not my forte. At Ocala in Nov I had people checking in regularly for football scores. ;)

RunForIt
Dec. 18, 2006, 11:09 PM
:winkgrin: ok, I'm gonna get you to show me how to do this at Poplar in March - I know, I know, you'll be sleeping in the big blue trailer...:cool:

Coyoteco
Dec. 18, 2006, 11:29 PM
Gnep, again, and others who have plumbing in their trailers. First Gnep, thanks for the answers above. I like the idea of watering plants with the water. I have to say that I had decided against having a shower/bathroom until I saw yours - it's just enough to use. Can you say what the dimensions are? And the shower bottom that you bought, is is the same shape as your shower?

Can you (Gnep) or anyone explain how the water disposal works? In your (Gnep's) trailer, there appears to be a drain - so there is a hole in the trailer floor? Is there a gray water tank attached to the trailer? Or, is it simply a separate continer set underneath the trailer? I there a way to do this without cutting a hole in the floor? Is there some reinforcement you do when you cut a hole in the floor? `

It's been a very interesting thread.

Foxygrl516
Dec. 19, 2006, 09:58 AM
:winkgrin: ok, I'm gonna get you to show me how to do this at Poplar in March - I know, I know, you'll be sleeping in the big blue trailer...:cool:

I'll bring it and show you! It's really easy! You won't be able to convince your husband to stay home on show weekend! :)
;) Maybe someday when I have some money I can be showing at these HTs and sleeping in my trailer rather than working all the time! My first full HT in my new trailer y'all are gonna have to help me break it in! I'll pull out the canopy and bring a grill and RunForIt will hook up the satellite and we'll have a party!

RunForIt
Dec. 19, 2006, 10:15 AM
:yes: ;) :lol: It's a deal, Foxygrl! Billy rarely stays home when I event - he both likes the sport AND of course, worries. He just REFUSES to camp without access to TV when the Dawgs are also competing...he was VERY interested in this idea! See you in March! Hope its not as cold this year!!!! :cool:

Foxygrl516
Dec. 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
Can't wait! Ugh, I HOPE it's not as cold as last year! Yuck! Maybe Friday night we can have our own little party and then ofcoarse the competitor's party w/ karaoke Saturday :cool: Ya know, I've never been to a competitors party so we're gonna have a lot of catching up to do!

Long Shadow Farm
Dec. 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
We bought really nice plastic RV holding tanks for my trailer only to have them bust up the first time we went over a hump in the road (wayyy to low to the ground). So the handyman Dad of mine built gray water holding tanks out of marine grade plywood with tons of fancy sealer. They are about 3 inches deep at the front and 5 at the back so water flows to the back in where the drain pipe is. Once we finish with a show, we take the trailer to an RV dump station and dump it out there. The tanks probably costs less than a hundred bucks and work great. You just have to remember to dump that blue RV tank stuff in before and after each trip and to get the RV toilet paper and you are all set. I have had these handmade tanks for about 6 years now and they work awesome.

Ishi
Dec. 19, 2006, 01:16 PM
NeverTime and Reed, she now has painted her trailer and on the door (in big stick on letters) it says, "Welcome To Camp Redneck!" It's freaking funny! I adore her, and there's always something going on where she's parked!

In CA this September I slept in the goosenck of a 4 horse, it was fine, Twin Rivers had a shower, and we had a stove, a mini bar, and several coolers spread out around us. We met so many people out there with the mini bar set up, it was great! No mattress, we just put down 2 or 3 comforters and it was actually really comfortable. Reed knows me, I my first 2 years eventing I spent saying how I'd never camp. Now I love it, we have so much fun. Reed, you'll love this, at Abbe (Sept) I tried staying in a tent. We had a heater, and an air mattress. Guess where this is going :D At about 4am it got real windy, the tent shifted, caught on a small fire, then the heater hit the air mattress. Bam! Bye-bye air mattress and tent :D but at least it was pretty funny! Stayed in the trailer part of the semi after that, it seemed safer that way! This was the week before CA, so that's why we had to use the comforters as a bed, other wise the air mattress (RIP buddy) would have been great in the gooseneck, that thing was really pretty darn comfy and easy to inflate. I highly recommend them.

I've never tried a solar shower, normally I just try to hit up my friends with LQ showers if the ht doesn't have any. Beer or Spegettios can buy you quite a few showers out here it seems!

magnolia73
Dec. 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
Those thin roll up air mattresses are great- I got one for camping (I don't really show a lot.....). I can have bad back/neck issues and that pad does the job, even on the hardest ground.

Question- do they tend to allow "car camping" at events- ie, I park my car & set up a tent next to it?

RAyers
Dec. 19, 2006, 01:53 PM
I must say that ever since I started cmaping at events, I will never go back to a hotel. There is something perfect about sleeping just outside your horse's stall (if possible) and waking up so the first thing you see is your pony saying, "Feed me!" Even when I have had access to a hotel, I stay in the trailer.

Reed

RunForIt
Dec. 19, 2006, 02:03 PM
:winkgrin: The camping route works best for me cause of my own back issues...I CANNOT sit nor sleep on anything except flat, hard surfaces. Have stayed in a nice hotel only to request more blankets so that I could make a pallet on the floor (my husband hides in the bathroom when they bring the bedding). I have a board that I sit on in my truck and one in the car - both leveled out, no slant, with towels. Yes, I realize that is very strange, but it works. When you have sciatica, and run, and ride horses, you make peace with "strange". :cool:

FlightCheck
Dec. 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
Coming to the discussion late....but another vote for sleeping in the trailer.

My GN has extra plugs inside for refrigerator, microwave, and 2 for "extras". I do have air and heat also. Perfect for me at shows (although I only used it a few times last year because I was announcing most of them).

Right now I have a huge king size air mattress up in the gooseneck, but am contemplating a smaller one, because I am only 1 person and I could put the extra space to good storage use I won't put anything ON the air mattress when it is inflated, due to the terror of waking up in the middle of the night to a deflated mattress! (don't ask me how I know)

In my younger days I have slept in tack stalls, horse stalls with horse, vehicles, and of course the back of a regular (somewhat cleaned out) horse trailer.

Mr. FlightCheck does not camp. He considers staying at the Holiday Inn to be camping ;)

magnolia73
Dec. 19, 2006, 02:46 PM
OK- cheap hotels gross me out. I'd rather camp then stay at some of the holiday inns I've seen.

Gnep
Dec. 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
Coyote I will take apicture of my graywater set up. The trick is eithe to put the tank way up front, just behind the jack or behind the axels, becuase those are the most unlikly places were it would hit the ground. A 7 or 8 inch thick tank is requiered.

the drain is just 2 inch max in diameter, so drilling a 2 inch hole into a 2x6, would floor or into a alumium floor will not cause any structual problems.
I insulated the floor, 2 inch foam and than 3/8 waverboard.
The tub is 24x24 which is standard, the toilet ads a nother 12 inches.

The best part of staying at the shows, you get to know your fellow eventers, hang out with them, you are close to your horse/s, you save a ton of time in the morning, the parties, the bucking bycicles ( be aware of those, daaaaangerous, mean ), cost saving, watching everybody to get up, hihihihi, hang over, to early, to late, organized, disorganized, hellufa entertainment.
Plain fun.

KBG Eventer
Dec. 19, 2006, 10:20 PM
I really want to sleep in my trailer now!

Maybe I can convince my parents to let me sleep in there while they are sleeping in a hotel.You could certainly sleep in a little more...I get always get anxious about time!

My mom is awesome, but she would not sleep in a trailer! :D I tried to convince her to sleep in tents at YR camps a year or so ago and she thought it was the most ridiculous thing she ever heard. She didn't understand how in the world you would be able to sleep in there with the horses rustling around.

yellowbritches
Dec. 19, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'm actually kinda jealous. :lol: We camped once, at Groton House. The boss slept in the semi (before we gave it up :( ) and all us girls (me, Stella, friend) slept in the gooseneck. With the exception of the giant mosiquitoes, it was fun. We did, however, wuss out...the first two nights were lovely to cold, then it got BLISTERING hot and everyone whined about being dirty. Wimps.

I would camp every time we overnighted...the boss is just way too big a wimp, though, and we have some clients that are true girly girls, to boot. Very jealous....have fun in your little trailer camping villages, ya'll...I'll be at the hotel. :cry:

Coyoteco
Dec. 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
Coyote I will take apicture of my graywater set up. The trick is eithe to put the tank way up front, just behind the jack or behind the axels, becuase those are the most unlikly places were it would hit the ground. A 7 or 8 inch thick tank is requiered.

Thanks Gnep. I'd appreciate seeing a picture when you have time to take it. Your description helps a lot. I had wondered about it's being too close to the ground and about capacity. Longshadow Farm had a problem with her oritional one being to low. Mostly, though, I'd hate to not use biodegradable soap and use the water for plant watering.

Longshadow Farm - Thank you, also for the description of your tank. It sounds very interesting and I would *never* have consided plywood for such a tank. I didn't know about marine plywood. Yours seems to have done a great job.

Gnep
Dec. 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
magnolia,
At least here in the west nobody cares, we have everything, mega dolla living quarter trailers, remodels, home made, campershells, pop up tents cots in front of trailers,.
On three days some people rent RVs for the week and 4 or 5 share it, a good cost saving solution

CookiePony
May. 16, 2007, 09:08 PM
Resurrecting this thread because I'm gearing up to try camping in the back of my 2-horse trailer and I need to figure out how to inflate my aerobed. Somebody mentioned an "inverter"-- will this allow me to plug it in and inflate it?

Also, any specific hints about camping at the Kentucky Horse Park? Are they really strict about having you move your trailer to the campground if you sleep in it?

RunForIt
May. 16, 2007, 09:38 PM
CP - Billy has some sort of automatic pump that he hooks up to his truck to inflate stuff - will ask him to give me more specifics and I'll tell you what you might get. I sleep in my trailer and love it! :cool:

GreyTrakehner92
May. 16, 2007, 10:40 PM
question for you guys... are the small generators made specifically for trailers allowed at shows? i have an air conditioner in my GN, and it be nice to run it.:)

RiverBendPol
May. 16, 2007, 11:23 PM
Stacy........Get one of these. They are soooo comfy and fit perfectly in 1 slot of a 2-horse. Much easier than the aerobed pumping! :)
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=33300&sc1=Search&feat=sr

Carol Ames
May. 16, 2007, 11:59 PM
:winkgrin: I used to do it, but , don't know what is done now; I also slept inthe front seat of my truck , and onthe tackstall floor at Radnor; I know a number of Canadians slept in their van :eek: ; of course that was a number ofysrs ago, and I don't know what is done now

WNT
May. 17, 2007, 12:02 AM
Like the cot, nifty.

I've slept in a tent, my car (bad idea: I'm 5'8", car was about 5' across), haven't slept in a stall. I did got paid to sleep in the trailer with two kids from the Pony Club I worked with because they wanted to stay at the event and their parents wanted hotels. I was broke, and any money was welcome!

I definitely prefer camping vs. hotel. The best way to go is to have a good friend staying at a hotel, you can go borrow shower time. And you don't have to worry about smuggling dogs around when you camp out.

LoveToJump
May. 17, 2007, 07:31 AM
OK, this thread got me totally psyched to camp at May-Daze! So now I need to find a mattress for my gooseneck. I have a bad back (who doesn't?) so I don't think I want an air mattress. I heard foam, I heard box spring, I have heard custom made by Verlo. What are your recommendations? Also, what other things should I bring? I know the obvious (sleeping bag, lantern, cooler, lots and lots of beverages), but, I don't have a battery or electricity, so it is just a beautiful little two horse trailer with a dressing room. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hannahsmom
May. 17, 2007, 07:39 AM
OK, this thread got me totally psyched to camp at May-Daze! So now I need to find a mattress for my gooseneck. I have a bad back (who doesn't?) so I don't think I want an air mattress. I heard foam, I heard box spring, I have heard custom made by Verlo. What are your recommendations? Also, what other things should I bring? I know the obvious (sleeping bag, lantern, cooler, lots and lots of beverages), but, I don't have a battery or electricity, so it is just a beautiful little two horse trailer with a dressing room. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a futon mattress but a friend has a foam 'topper' that I like better (smaller and easier to shift). You just put sheets on it. Check the mattress stores. Go to Walmarts and get the Coleman snap on lights for over your tack room door and getting up in the morning. Don't forget your clock for your early morning wakeup! There's lots of good info on this over in the endurance forum. I love my camping porta potty as you may be a long way away. :) Once you camp out once, you'll never go back to a hotel for horse trials.

FairWeather
May. 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
I have a futon and a 3" memory foam topper on it that I have in my gooseneck. I LOVE camping in my trailer, so comfortable. I'd like to make a few more little changes to make it perfect, but I'm quite happy sleeping in it for a few days at a time.

CookiePony
May. 17, 2007, 10:20 AM
Stacy........Get one of these. They are soooo comfy and fit perfectly in 1 slot of a 2-horse. Much easier than the aerobed pumping! :)
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=33300&sc1=Search&feat=sr

Aha! And still cheaper than one night in a hotel... :D

ravenclaw
May. 17, 2007, 10:26 AM
When I go to overnight shows, I sleep in my trailer (no tack room or dressing room). I just clean out the horse area and bring in the sleeping bag.

For bathing, I do a sponge-bath thing with a bucket, sponge, and bar of soap. I always feel like I'm on an episode of "Survivor" by the end of the weekend. :winkgrin:

InVA
May. 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
I've done this! Don't know if it is "legal" or not, you basically just DO it. It is the reason i want a gooseneck trailer!

Lucky_shamrock
May. 18, 2007, 01:10 PM
I love eventers.

Where else would you find a conversation like this?! ;o)

CBudFrggy
May. 18, 2007, 04:30 PM
I love eventers.

Where else would you find a conversation like this?! ;o)

Maybe on the endurance/trail thread? But anyway, I digress. Camping with your horse is fun! For showering, you can use a sun shower! I got one for Christmas :) but I haven't had time to try it out yet. :(

JER
May. 18, 2007, 10:42 PM
I must say that ever since I started cmaping at events, I will never go back to a hotel.

Cmaping... whatever that is, it must be awesome. Especially if it's better than a good night in a hotel.

(Really, I jumped in towards the end to read what this was about and my brain couldn't make the re-transposition right away. I'm tired and heck, eventers do plenty of unusual but exciting things.)

Saskatoonian
Jun. 3, 2007, 01:04 PM
Camping is the best! And for whoever asked, there was a guy at Millbrook one year who "showered" in his swim trunks with the hose, right in the bathing area! We all laughed, and I don't think anyone was anything but impressed. I'm of the bucket/sponge ilk myself -after dark, and with expensive soap, thank you very much. Ok, after a martini or two as well. Contemplating a sun shower - but that's purchase #2.

Having camped for YEARS in my little 2H BP w/o DR, I'm still giggling at the vast expanse of space in my new GN - and that's NOTHING to my giggles at not sleeping in the horse section.

I'd love opinions on mattresses for the GN - aerobed? regular mattress? futon? I have a thermarest but think I'm getting old: it felt mighty hard at King Oak even with my featherbed on top. And yes, I did have my down comforter too. It was cold! :)

Leaning toward an aerobed, but will it deflate by morning when I'm at UNH and it's pushing 35?

Thanks!

FoxChaser
Jun. 3, 2007, 03:19 PM
As for the Aerobed, I slept on one off and on when my son was but a wee newborn premie. When he had bad colds, I would set it up in his room with the vaporizer and Sudacare going full tilt so that I could settle him back to sleep as fast as possible when he had coughing fits. They are extremely comfortable!! We bought it to use in our GN, but used it with Connor before we ever got around to camping with it. He's going to have to be a bit older still (13 mos.) before we all sleep in the GN, but we're looking forward to it :) We bought our custom Gore barely used and it has a little table that clips in under the window in the tack room so that you can sit on the boot box at the table. It will make the perfect small camper one of these days!

CookiePony
Jun. 3, 2007, 08:23 PM
Follow-up: for May Daze, we decided the most economical option was to bring the Aerobed and buy a power inverter. We went to our local Camping World and spent $30 for a 400 watt one. It inflated the Aerobed just about as fast as plugging it in at home would. :cool:

However, now I think we are going to buy a tent. The tack room of my BP is just too small to sleep in, and my OH complained about the smell in the back of the trailer. I cleaned it out and put down a tarp, but I guess not everyone enjoys horsey odors. ;) At the KHP, we might bring the trailer to the campsite anyway, because it provides nice shade, the locking tack room is very convenient, and we can dress in privacy.

The whole thing was lots of fun! I hated camping when I was a kid at summer camp, but if it's in connection with a horse show I have a great time. :winkgrin:

LoveToJump
Jun. 4, 2007, 06:22 PM
I bought a 6" foam mattress from a mattress store (Queen size $100). It is far more comfortable than my bed at home. I love it!! I would highly recommend it. It has a cover just like a regular mattress.

criss
Jun. 5, 2007, 10:50 PM
I never liked leaving the boys alone for hours on end in a strange place, so camping has always been the way to go. Heck, I've even camped (illegally, I am fairly sure) parked in the aisle between shedrows at the NM state fairgrounds once when i was there for a clinic. I just lay down across the bench seat and went to sleep. It was only one night, so no big deal.

For longer-term camping I've used a tent and a tackroom, but someday I hope to have a GN so I can put a real mattress up there and get rid of the foam mattresses (I DO NOT sleep on the ground, or other hard, unpleasant surfaces, in which category I include those self-inflating camping mats; I sleep on my side, so cushy is a must). Not LQ, just room for a mattress. I don't care about the amenities, I like my coleman stove and I like cooking on the truck tailgate, and if I'm away for long enough to need a shower, someone's always got a hotel room, or there's the local YMCA/KOA/municipal swimming pool for a buck or two.

I can cope with a two-day competition without a real shower, though--I shower when I leave, and when I get home, and if I go to sleep incompletely washed, well, the sleeping bag is machine-washable. I'm a horseperson, dirty is a way of life. :)

I'd never choose a hotel over camping. It's fun, as noted, and it relieves me of a lot of anxiety over the horses. That, and I don't have to find my directionally-challenged way to a hotel after getting the horses settled in, by which time it may well be dark, or worry about finding my way back in the morning. One time my mom and I got somewhere really late at night, and it was after 10 when we finally got finished bedding stalls and filling water buckets (and I had the first ride the next morning, so I had to be up early), so instead of pitching the tent we had brought, she slept on the truck seat and I rolled myself up in the foam mattress in the (very small, BP) tackroom, with my feet on the trailer-aid and my head under the saddle racks, and if we'd had to find the energy to find our way to a hotel before crashing, I don't know that either of us would have made it.

And hey, I managed not to whack my head on the saddle racks sitting up in the morning, so I guess camping (however seat-of-pants) and I get along well enough.

olympicdreams04
Jun. 6, 2007, 10:15 AM
For the past nearly four years, I have had a 1988 Featherlite 4H LQ with a 10' shortwall. I bought the trailer from Cricket Worthen when she got out of eventing (almost bought Rodney as well!) for a ridiculously low price, otherwise I would not have it...I also traded in the Ghettofied 2H steel gooseneck whose floor might have fallen through by now, so ultimately I got it for less than you can imagine. Anyway, the trailer needed some serious upgrades and since I have put in a new floor completely reconfigured the seat and stable, and done some other cosmetic bits. Some of you hardcore campers are probably snuffling at me and saying things like "spoiled" and "rich" and "brat". However, keep the ultra low price of the trailer in mind and also keep in mind that fact that since purchasing that trailer I have lived in it day in and day out for nearly four years. No house, no apartment, not nothing. Horse trailer living for me. I love it dearly, but maybe, just maybe, I'll find an apartment in the next year or so. If nothing else, I just want a BATHROOM!!! Anyway, the tranny on my truck bit the dust on the way to FL this year. As a result, I had no transport, horsey or otherwise, for the better part of a month. I had already, however, entered the first event @ Ocala Horse Park. I found a ride for the beast but not ride to and from the event for myself. So...without a tack stall, my mare proved very cuddley for the entire weekend. The course builders also proved very generous with their food. Much love for course builders and horses that don't trample their owners in their sleep.

merrygoround
Jun. 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
One of us got the supercab, and one of us got the nose of the GN. And then there were a bunch of us in the bed of the trailer once. :D :D :D

Gnalli
Jun. 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
question for you guys... are the small generators made specifically for trailers allowed at shows? i have an air conditioner in my GN, and it be nice to run it.:)

I don't know about at events/English events, but in the TWH/RHBAA world, we live by the generator. Of course, we are in the Deep South, in the summer time, in full saddleseat gear or western gear, so we are hot . We carry huge fans, generators, work lights, etc.

Jealoushe
Jun. 7, 2007, 03:03 PM

Memory foam is great on a futon mattress. Also, there is a really cheap shower bag you can get, I got mine at Canadian Tire but Im sure lots of places have them. You fill it with water, leave it out all day then hang it inthe trailor and it has a little shower head, and it actually works amazingly!

NeverTime
Jun. 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
I bought a couple of battery-powered fans for my last trailer camping trip. They run up to 100 hours on D batteries and I figured I could run them all night if the GN felt muggy. As it turned out, the evenings were perfectly cool with the windows open (in fact, one night was downright COLD as you get no insulation with an air mattress in a steel trailer), but the fan turned out to be FABULOUS during the day when I went in there to change or do something else. I'd just turn it on to keep the cool air near the floor circulating up on me so I didn't feel like I was in an oven once I closed the trailer door. I'll definitely use them at my next event, even if I'm not spending the night.

Lauren!
Jun. 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
I bought a couple of battery-powered fans for my last trailer camping trip. They run up to 100 hours on D batteries and I figured I could run them all night if the GN felt muggy.

I bought one of those too! Do you know what brand they were? The ones I got were small... I think I want something more powerful to circulate more air in my gooseneck. I did starting hanging mine in front of my horse while he's just standing in the (parked) trailer during the day at shows... he LOVES it :yes: