PDA

View Full Version : The $45 Horse

Jessi P
Nov. 8, 2006, 02:46 PM
A friend of ours mentioned to Darren that he wanted to sell cheaply or give away the horse he had racing last night, after his race of course. He had asked Darren to hold him in the paddock and cool him out, and mentioned that the horse had to go. The 9 yo "Countontherun" has a pathetic form, but he DID win a race last year and has lifetime earnings of about $100k. Darren asked me to go look at the horse whilke he was feeding ours dinner, and when I pointed out his lack of recent success on the track he mentioned that perhaps I could use him as a lead pony or for the kids to ride. I almost had a heart attack - my SO suggesting I get a horse NOT for a racehorse!!! YES!! We must encourage this type of behavior, no matter what, am I right ladies? :)

So I walk over to the next barn to look at the horse - and Count's groom (and one of his former owners) was grooming him. He was tied to the front of the stall as she brushed him and he studied me as carefully as I studied him. Count had large, intelligent eyes, an attractive head with a cute stripe, good front legs, and a swollen back leg. I asked quite simply "Does his leg always look like that?" and his groom started crying. Apparently he would often "hit" or interfere and hit his back leg on the pastern when he trained or raced, and there was an accumulation of scar tissue that by its very nature made him interfere even worse because it was larger in diameter than normal. As she tried to brush him she told me that his very well meaning owner, her boss, had taken him to the farm after his last race and was turning him out daily. Great for the horse's mind, but he had developed an awful case of rain rot - he was literally ENCRUSTED with it down his back and over his rump. It is the kind that LOOKS like hair, but when you touch it feels hard as a helmet, nothing to scrub off unless you take everything off in huge patches down to his skin.

So the owner/trainer Tommy came back to the barn and tells me that he had only kept and raced this horse for the "starts" - each trainer needs to maintain a minimum # of starts to keep their stalls - and to quality for the trainers health insurance program. The horse wasn't going to hurt himself in the race and anything can happen, the rest of the field could fall down and leave him the sole horse on it's feet to cross the finish line. Dreaming a bit, but things like that DO happen sometime (altho it is usually a horse or 2, not the WHOLE FIELD!). He told me he wanted the horse to go to a good home, hopefully with a kid of his own to love and dote on him. He told me the horse needed a job to mentally challenge him, a new routine. Then he said "But I just put new front shoes on him this morning, I would like to get that $45 back, so I guess I want $45 for him" I told him I would be back in a couple mins after talking to Darren.

I got cash from Darren & came back. to Tommy's barn. I said "You want $45 for him?" and handed him 2 twenties and a five - he said "But I have to pay Darren $40 to hold him in the paddock and cool him out" and he returned the twenties. So technically he was a $5 horse I suppose.

Since he was my new horse, I ended up holding Count in the paddock and cooling him out. He was a bit arrogant, and very opinionated in the paddock - but perhaps he just didn't want to run or knew he wasn't going to do well. He shoved me around in there a few times and I thought "OMG what have I DONE here?" as Count went out on the track to run. He did ok, making a little bit of a run around the turn, then hitting a wall at the top of the lane. He beat 2 horses - one of which was eased. With the recent track resurfacing, the track is OH so deep, and many horses are getting dog tired on it. But it is much SAFER that way, with a nice cushion.

So I take him back to the barn and cool Count out - he didn't drink a single drop of water and was a pushy arrogant son of a gun. We will have to work on him respecting others' space. But he came back sound - his previous owner/trainer came over to get the bridle and the rubbers from his bandages and commented "Boy he came back better than last time" telling me he came back a bit "off" last time (nice to hear after I bought the horse, but for $45 what can I expect?).

After cooling him out I COVERED him in MTG to try to soften up those scabbies, and covered and sweated all four of his legs with it. Never sweated with MTG before but this horse is so EXTREMELY encrusted in scabs it that I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

So, that's the story of my $45 horse. He looks black to me but the program says chestnut - other people who have known him and worked with him in the past say he is a beautiful liver chestnut color in summertime. Hopefully I will have pics up sometime tomorrow!

luvmytbs
Nov. 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
That is sooooo awesome Jessi.

Tell Darren we luv him :D

War Admiral
Nov. 8, 2006, 03:03 PM
Awwwwwwwww that's great. Enjoy!!

Mega Rock
Nov. 8, 2006, 03:06 PM
What a great story. Yes,:yes: lots of pics of new horsie please!

Norcrest
Nov. 8, 2006, 03:14 PM
How awesome! he will repay you in spades for your good deed...cant wait to see pictures

Laurierace
Nov. 8, 2006, 03:49 PM
I got a $50 bill in my birthday card several years ago. I was walking through the receiving barn at Penn when a man called me over and asked if I knew anyone who would be interested in buying his horse after the race. He said he would take $50 for him. Even though the last thing I needed or could afford was another broken down horse, that $50 bill started burning a major hole in my pocket! I donated him to TRF shortly afterwards as he was a walking disaster area. It was birthday money well spent. Hopefully all us softies end up with some extra karma before its over.
My birthday is Friday, maybe I should avoid receiving barns for a while???
Congrats for getting the new guy.

VirginiaBred
Nov. 8, 2006, 04:02 PM
What a wonderful story, Jessi. Please keep us posted when he goes home, etc.

Jessi P
Nov. 8, 2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for being so supportive you guys!

Laurie what a great birthday present you bought for yourself! And I applaud you for carefully placing him with the TRF. :yes: :yes: :yes: It is one of the ONLY ways to insure the long term safety of an OTTB, and I strongly urge anyone wondering what to do with an OTTB to consider it. Anyone choosing this option is getting off very cheaply with the one time "donation" fee (I know there is a more correct term for that) when one considers the cost of paying for comparable quality board on on that horse forever.

I have to admit :sadsmile: :sadsmile: that I really was questioning my judgement with this horse when he was beating me up in the paddock.

And later cooling him out when he kept smashing me in the face with his head.

And again when I tried brushing him off after he dried from his bath and got a better look at the skin disease/encrustation on approx 50% of his body.

And again when I got a closer look at those legs and realized we had both:

1) major scabbies on the skin all over his legs

AND

2) proud flesh from years of improper shoeing causing him to smack his left hind pastern beating it to a bloody unrecognizable pulp with each stride.

And again when he (seemingly deliberately) stomped on my foot while I was wrapping a back leg.

And as I was leaving the stall having just put his dinner in - Count charges to the front of the stall to look around and hits me right in the lower back with the stall screen as I bend over to come out under the stall chain.

Yes, I was second guessing myself A WHOLE LOT at that point. I think the exact words going through my head were "WTF was I THINKING???"

But we will find a new job for Count, in the meantime we will have his coat gleaming with good health from the inside out and get his leggies looking like a 2 yo's again.

Well, I CAN dream, can't I? ;) ;) ;)

With Gemma back in training I DO need a new mount to play around with. And I have been wanting a lead pony. Problem is, the trainer who got rid of him 2 owners ago also ponies for a 2nd job, and her hubby is an outrider for the track. I am worried that perhaps she tried him as a pony and he flunked. I will see them Friday and remember to ask if they ever tried him under western tack.

Gulp.

What have I done??? Someone tell me it's all a DREAM and I am going to wake up soon LOL.

Seriously, I am excited about the new guy and can't wait to get pics!!

VirginiaBred
Nov. 8, 2006, 04:22 PM
You keep your chin up and I'll bet you won't be sorry!

snaffles
Nov. 8, 2006, 04:47 PM
**Jessi, we Love you!!

abrant
Nov. 8, 2006, 05:36 PM
Jessi...

Maybe he's pissed off because you made him smell so bad ;)

I'm imaging the burned bacon stench in your shedrow and giggling <g> MUCH worse than DMSO ;)

I've found that sweating legs with furacin is a good way to loosen up the ickies they tend to get on the front of their hind cannons.

Otherwise, there is always the pick and scrub method, put some betadine solution on a nail-scrubber and pick scabs and scrub where they were. Tends to dry them out. Also tends to piss off the horse, but it might be time for some payback :)

~Adrienne

luvmytbs
Nov. 8, 2006, 06:31 PM
Also tends to piss off the horse, but it might be time for some payback :)

But, but, but.......Count is bigger and stronger than Jessi. :winkgrin:

llsc
Nov. 8, 2006, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on your new horse. I don't usually come to the Racing forum, but a title that read $45 horse was too good to resist.

I rescued a horse from an auction years ago and he was covered with rainrot. I found a recipe in my vet book for treatment that worked wonderfully and he didn't wind up with any white hairs on his dark bay coat.

1 16oz bottle of mineral oil or baby oil

1 16oz bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1 1/2 oz bottle tincture of iodine

Combine all 3 in a large container and DO NOT close tightly. Mixture will bubble and expand and can explode. Just close it losely. To apply, just pour some on and rub into all areas with rainrot. Leave on for two hours and then wash off with iodine shampoo.

Good luck with him. I'm sure he'll turn into a nice guy, once the pressure is off him and he's living a happier life.

Texarkana
Nov. 8, 2006, 06:55 PM
Countontherun sounds oh so familiar to me... I wonder if we ever crossed paths back in my racing days... I can't put a "face" to the name, though.

Best of luck with him. Getting sold to you guys for $45 is probably the best thing that ever happened to him!

Jessi P
Nov. 8, 2006, 07:40 PM
So Wednesday is my day off and I didn't make it out to the barn today... :winkgrin:

So pics will have to wait til Thursday.

llsc thanks for the recipe! I will do MTG for a few days then try the hydrogen perox/oil/iodine mix and report in on the results.

Adrienne, my first thought was furacin, until I saw the legs and back up close. Have to pull out all the stops on this one! I even contemplated clipping him EXTREMELY closely and getting all of that crapola off of him. But I dont think it would work w/o yanking hair out of him causing him extreme pain.

But my foot DOES hurt enough today for the thought to cross my mind... :winkgrin:

Tex, what tracks were you at? I dont have Count's lifetime form so I don't know where he was as a youngster.

For anyone interested, his early record is below. I have the current version from the program (somewhere...in this huge pile atop my desk).

1997 Countontherun,Ch,c,Count The Time 5 41 4 6 10 75,053 ( 94) 0.87
North America 2 YO Record 4 0 1 0 3,390 ( 81)
North America Turf Record 1 0 0 1 1,100 ( 81)
North America Dirt Sprints 23 2 3 5 38,653 ( 93)
North America Dirt Routes 17 2 3 4 35,300 ( 94)
North America Muddy/Sloppy 9 1 2 2 26,028 ( 93)
DP = 7-4-7-0-0 DI = 4.14 CD = 1.00 AWD = 7.13
thru 12-30-04

Hmmm some interesting stuff there. He is versatile, with earnings almost evenly divided short and long. He runs well on the slop or an off track. He has promise with one third in his only turf start.

The ingredients are all there for a Rocky-esque comeback. But I don't have the time or energy for a possible Cinderella story. He needs a nice, calm, responsible job to pay the bills. Time for him to grow up and stop running with da boyz on the racetrack. :lol: :lol: :winkgrin: :lol: :lol:

Texarkana
Nov. 8, 2006, 08:55 PM
Tex, what tracks were you at? I dont have Count's lifetime form so I don't know where he was as a youngster.

The only "track" I worked at was Delaware Park... but I worked out at Fair Hill, Bowie briefly, and on a handful of private farms. We shipped in all over the place, though-- Pimlico, Laurel, Philadelphia, Penn National, Charlestown, Monmouth, etc. etc. Pretty much all the mid-atlantic tracks.

I'm usually pretty good at placing name of horses I had, so I'm guessing maybe I just saw his name around a lot. I worked at a vet hospital awhile, too, so I could have seen his name there as well. Who knows. But I can't wait to see pics of him! And his paper looks pretty good for a $45 horse!

charlieo
Nov. 8, 2006, 10:16 PM
Hummmh, I wonder if the rainrot stuff that may explode also works on scratches -- my 2 yr old warmblood gelding has developed a serious case. I think your new boy just needs some down time -- in small doses so he doesn't get depressed. He probably hurts from all the scruffies, no wonder he's cross. You'll bring him around. Good for you for giving him a chance.

Jinx
Nov. 9, 2006, 12:25 AM
aww what an amazing story!

For the cruddy legs...possibly try ORVUS paste (its made for cows...but i have gotten black paint off a white mare with it...)

also its a really really great whitener for those socks!!

arabdressage
Nov. 9, 2006, 02:04 AM
Congratulations on your new horse. I don't usually come to the Racing forum, but a title that read $45 horse was too good to resist.

Same here, I don't often venture this direction... but I'm glad I did!! What a great story!! I will keep checking in to see his progress, and I can't wait to see pics!!

Oats
Nov. 9, 2006, 06:35 AM
What a great story. Really can't wait to see pics!

We saved an own son of Sonny's Halo, Hilcountry Halo, that was completely covered in rain rot. Ended up losing literally half his coat. He was a mess. After we got all the scabs off, (which we did using a very thick tea tree ointment left on all day), Witch Hazel really helped him get some relief and feel better.

Good luck with this guy! Bless your heartfor taking him on!

Jessi P
Nov. 9, 2006, 10:46 AM
You guys are really great yanno that? :yes: :yes:

And again, no pics til tomorrow because :

a) taking pics by myself it's probably not a great idea to try to tie him to a manure bin or something so I can fit all of him in the frame

AND

b) I can't convince darlin Darren to come back to the track with me later JUST to take pics of the horse. He very logically pointed out that we will both be at the track together tomorrow and can do pics then.

Wed & Thursday are our "weekends" and I am home being a Mom to my littlest ones. So, I know I don't dare bother my darlin Darren with such a trivial thing as PICTURES and am trying to be a good Mom and clean and re-organize daughter Lauren's room today. I have barely made a dent. I keep stopping in here and checking in with how you guys' days are going. :D :D

arabdressage, llsc, thanks again for coming to visit! I do have peroxide, mineral oil, and tincture of iodine on my Dollar Store list for this afternoon (and laundry soap, oh boy) and will do that with him tomorrow. Darren's comment when I told him the ingredients was "That sh*t will EXPLODE!" til I told him a "loosely covered container" and he said "Oh, well that's ok then..will be interesting to watch" which had me ROTFL.

Oats and Jinx, I will try your methods if the above experiment doesn't work. I will be working Fri, Sat, Sun so will hopefully be able to take pics at least Fri & Sun and document his progress.

Oats I LOVE Sonny's Halo and have had a few of them. Big boned, fiesty, stubborn, brilliant horses. Good for you for taking on an OTTB!

Jinx thanks for the suggestion about whitening the socks... we have a couple hind whites that I can never ever get clean. And I think our feed man might carry cow supplies too!

Tex I was at Delpark from 90ish-94 and we shipped to run at all those tracks. Is Bill Prickett still the main shipper there?

Ok........ back to work on the bedroom!!!

Tallabred
Nov. 9, 2006, 11:01 AM
This stuff works wonders! It is expensive but for a major case I water it down so that it will get under the scabs. You will see a major difference by the next day. One application takes care of the problem and seems to keep it from recurring. It works on ALL skin problems.

Nlevie
Nov. 9, 2006, 11:06 AM
Good for you for trying to help & I'm sure he will change his attitude when he realizes that you are going to give him a better life. We took a big 3 yr old home from the track a couple years a go & were warned that he was mean & would bite etc, but once he spent some time turned out he became a total puppy dog. . . Hope that hppens for you too. Keep us informed ?

catknsn
Nov. 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hey, for that price, how can you go wrong? :D

I bet he's 100% less pushy in a month. He's still hyped up from racing ... he'll get better.

Thanks for helping this poor guy!

hundredacres
Nov. 9, 2006, 11:41 AM
Jessi, we do love you. You are a hero to those of us who don't have the guts or resources to do what you do.

BTW...my experience with rainrot has been the best remedy is to shave the horse *gasp* an inch beyond the ickies and wash with an antibacterial shampoo, let it sit and rinse. Nothing has worked as quickly or cheaply as this process. That burnt feta chees smell would just about kill me!

Regardless, I hope the ickies clear up soon and you have a diamond under that mess.

I forgot to add...*that groom*; what a sweetheart! Was it a guy or a girl? Just curious. I have this picture of some sweet little Mexican guy crying over the horse and it makes my heart melt.

CAH
Nov. 9, 2006, 12:07 PM
About that mineral oil/peroxide/iodine remedy (I used bentadine). Had an OTTB with the WORSE case of rainrot years ago - used everything under the sun - could NOT get rid of it. Used that recipe, left it on overnight (covered with a lightweight, washable sheet). Bathed next day (and it is a mess for sure). Rainrot was gone. I mean, gone, never to return. This was a bad case, too.

Jessi P
Nov. 9, 2006, 12:13 PM
Hundred acres.. his groom (and former owner) is actually a middle aged woman. She just wasn't making ends meet on her grooms salary and sold the horse to Tommy and began working in a restaurant to pay the bills. She kept grooming for Tommy part time as he needed her, and whenever Count was racing she would come clean him up. Not sure how she acquired him to begin with, perhaps he was a giveaway - I do remember her talking about her "killer project" many months ago but can't say for certain that it was Count. But now that I think about it, she was walking a dark horse when she made that comment, it could have been Count. Of course I havent seen him since Tuesday night, but I swear that he looked AWFULLY dark for a chestnut, even a liver. I will have to try to find pics of Count the Time - his dam is out of a Tri Jet mare, who is out of a Kris S mare.

lizathenag
Nov. 9, 2006, 03:45 PM
We saved an own son of Sonny's Halo

I have always wondered what this meant. What other kind of son is there?
I learn everything I need to know on this forum.

Evalee Hunter
Nov. 10, 2006, 06:37 AM
I have always wondered what this meant. What other kind of son is there?
I learn everything I need to know on this forum.

Been discussed a number of times on various different threads on this bulletin board. I have always thought the redundancy is for emphasis, as are many redundancies in our language. Examples:

Now, I, personally, believe . . . . (You could leave out "personally".)

In my own experience . . . . (You could leave out "own".)

jenarby
Nov. 10, 2006, 02:51 PM
I got to meet Count today! He's a tank of a little guy! He's got the sweetest face and kindest eye. I feel bad that he's got all the scabs and stuff but I think he's going to turn out to be such a pretty boy once that's all cleared up.
I hope he works out for your daughter's next horse. She'd be so cute up on him!

ElonGrad1997
Nov. 10, 2006, 03:01 PM
We want pics! We want pics! (chanting)

You're the best, Jessi. I swear you're going to be the next big rags-to-riches TB story. Keep us posted on the $45 ($5) horse! :winkgrin:

Onabreak
Nov. 10, 2006, 03:43 PM
You are a hero!!

Jessi P
Nov. 10, 2006, 04:44 PM
:D Hey guys! Thanks for the support you guys, it means a lot.

I am no hero :no: , just a goofy lady who is a glutton for punishment. :yes: :yes: :yes:

OK, got a few pics today, will get more tomorrow with my 'professional' holder Annette. :D Darling Darren is not "into" holding horses for pics.. after 30 secs he started whining. Hey, at least I got 2 pics of Count before the whining began lol.

Here are Count & Darren: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2398692860056365630LFVtHM

and the other COunt & Darren pic: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2017170340056365630KCcDpM

See why I thought he was dark bay? LOL And if you notice the chain thru his mouth... well, did I mention that Count is an arrogant a$$ with little respect for others' space?

Jen & I measured Count quickly today, he wasn't too crazy about the stick but we compromised at 15.2 3/4" - not exact but close enough. He is built like a brick you know what.. can we say WIDE???

I do like his face as well -

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2224520490056365630kGAjYP

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2438299790056365630Pddgzd

And here is his skin crud - http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2827437720056365630phvNJz
Now remember, this is after being coated with MTG for 48 hours then we soaked him for 2 hours with the hydro perox/baby oil/ iodine solution (which turned deep pink and bubbled, pretty funky).

And here is a dorky pic of him with his eyes closed, but it shows the colors of his coat. http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2749536120056365630HFPYkc

I have a couple horses to clip this weekend, I just might try to clip Count also. I think getting some air on his skin would be the best for his cruddies, once we get them loosened up. I can tell that the hydro perox/baby iol/iodine mix was really loosening the crud up, I need to mix a double or triple sized batch and do it again in a few days.

Equinetech
Nov. 10, 2006, 05:17 PM
Been discussed a number of times on various different threads on this bulletin board. I have always thought the redundancy is for emphasis, as are many redundancies in our language. Examples:

Now, I, personally, believe . . . . (You could leave out "personally".)

In my own experience . . . . (You could leave out "own".) An "own" son or daughter is a ranching term, used to describe a son or daughter of an influential stallion/bull or blue hen mare/cow that you bred yourself.

Many, many people in the horse (and cattle) worlds use the term incorrectly.

Congratulations on the new horse Jess!

FWIW, on the rainrot: We used to use the 'explosive' recipe posted earlier-but it really stings like he**, and ever since they came out with Chlorhexiderm shampoo we've been really pleased-we use either the full strength chlorhexidine surgical scrub (around 4%) or get the max strength shampoo from the vet. It is supposed to work on the fungal and bacterial aspects of the rainrot too (admittedly, I am not that great at micro...and I haven't done a derm rotation yet. Typical ortho/surgery brained student, I should work harder in those areas) And the nolvasan (chlorhex brand name) OINTMENT is great for softening up the scabbies/putting on the sore areas after you get the scabbies off (and it's great to alternate with the derma clens/steroid ointment on the proud flesh areas)

Now I'm off to look at the Pics!

PS have you tried him on Peep therapy yet?

millwrightmomma
Nov. 10, 2006, 05:54 PM
Hi
Congradulations on the $45 pony, he looks lovely

I have found that rain rot is a type of fungal/symbiotic realationship.
He we have been very successful doing 2 things, get bebedine or hibitane, any fungal scrubbing soaP and scrub it in good, lots of lather for 10 minutes, leave it sit for 10 minutes and thenrinse it off until the water runs clear, the scabs will come off. Repaet this every second day until there are no scabs.
Let dry.

Secondly we give 25cc of penicilin, usually dupocillin, on first and 3rd day.

I have never had a case of rain rot repeat itself.

Email if you have questions, I will be happy to help out.

Tiempo
Nov. 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
What a wonderful story,you are awesome!

Please keep us updated.

Good luck with the rainrot,when I aquired Mr T,he had it so bad I didn't know it was possible,it was literally on every inch of his skin except for his muzzle,I mean his ENTIRE body-back,rump,belly,chest,lgs,upper face,cheeks,EARS!

On his poll and down his mane,if you pushed your fingers in,the scabs were crusted up to an inch deep.:eek:

I just did the iodine shampoo wash for 4 days,then started to work the worst (and loosest) of the scabs off by sliding a blunt toothed metal dog flea comb under them,poor guy,he was SO tolerant,after a couple of days of this though,he got really sick of it,so I decided to give him a break and tuned him out as the weather was nice.

I was then sick and unable to get out to the barn for a few days,on the 3rd or 4th day it rained torrentially and unexpectedly and I knew the BO was out,I dragged my sick but over there so I could bring him in to dry off and the scabs were just pouring off his body with the rain...he was covered in big,soggy potato chips- they were plastered all over him,what a sorry sight he was.

I brought him in to dry,then brushed off the loose mess...low and behold,the rain downpour had washed ALL the scabs off,they were just gone and it has never come back.

It was the wierdest thing,rain rot cured by rain!

Of course it was the iodine that did it,but it was amazing once he dried to see it falling off him like snow.

fish
Nov. 10, 2006, 09:56 PM
I think he's quite handsome-- even with the rainrot.

SteeleRdr
Nov. 10, 2006, 10:15 PM
Wow, you are right about the color!! You can barely tell he's chestnut, but what a looker!!! His face and the strategic white on his face is great!

Mega Rock
Nov. 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
He is a cutie definitely:yes: Can't wait to see what he looks like after he is all healed up for you!!

summerhorse
Nov. 11, 2006, 12:16 AM
He looks nice and that is one LIVER chestnut! Imagine him with more weight and a glossy new coat, wouldn't be be a pretty hunter?

Slewdledo
Nov. 11, 2006, 12:32 AM
He is sure pretty!

Those Count the Times can RUN! And they're tough.

Starbird Road (by Count the Time) was supposed to run in the big race at EMD in August but took a bad step walking the day before the race. Initial X-rays showed a slight fracture. The game plan was to bring him back next year.

The initial X-rays were wrong.

He came back, won the Washington Cup Sprint in September while BREAKING THE SIX FURLONG TRACK RECORD and then came back two weeks after that to TIE the five-furlong track record! His jockey after the race said, "I was on a little black horse that can run like the wind!"

PS - Also understand about the SO's aversion to Horse Holding For Photos. I get in trouble if the SO makes it into pictures of my horses when he's holding them.

EXCELLENT job, Jessi! Thank you so much!

rcloisonne
Nov. 11, 2006, 04:16 AM
Beautiful horse!

One or two shots of penicillin should clear the skin infection.

Please have a competent farrier look at his feet. That $45 shoe job is atrocious and most likely the cause of his hind end problem.

hundredacres
Nov. 11, 2006, 08:26 AM
jessi...I had to go look this up (it's been driving me nuts) because I have a vet friend on my farm forum and the topic of rain rot came up...this was his comment:

>>Rain rot is caused by Dermatophilus congolensis, which is actually a higher bacterium, not a fungus, and penicillin is effective against it. I still prefer vigorous bathing/scrubbing with a povidone/iodine scrub(Betadine), but in some really 'bad' cases, topical treatment and systemic antimicrobials are required to get full clearance.
To dose Procaine Pen G PROPERLY, you need administer 3cc/100lb body weight twice daily - and for a big horse, that's A LOT, and they quickly become pretty sore, and resentful of being stuck. It helps if you alternate sides of the neck morning and evening, and you don't want to administer more than 10 cc of any injectible in one spot.<<

I just thought I'd mention it just in case you can't get it under control (you probably know this but I was surprised to know that it can be treated with pen G).

He's lovely - absolutely lovely. I wish you the very best!

2Mares
Nov. 11, 2006, 09:59 AM
What a wonderful story. I'm sure he'll straighten up once he gets a new routine. He's very cute and has quite a nice look about him. If that is Mountaineer, I'd be more than happy to hold him nexttime sweet Darren can't hold him for pics. That's just a short trip for me. :) Good luck!

Danielle

NancyM
Nov. 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
Pretty horse, looks like he'll make a hunter for ya with some time, care and training. For the skin condition, topical treatments may work for you, or you could consider using fulvicin, an oral anti-fungal powder and treat it internally if it doesn't clear up as you had hoped with the topical stuff. Also, whether you clip him or not, put a winter blanket on him. The scabs prevent the normal piloerection which keeps a horse warm. This will result in him losing weight and losing condition, as his nutrition is burned off in an attempt to keep warm. Especially in a stall, where his normal movement (which also helps to keep him warm) is reduced. The warmth of a blanket will also increase the skin circulation of blood, which will help to fight the infection.

rcloisonne
Nov. 11, 2006, 11:20 AM
For the skin condition, topical treatments may work for you, or you could consider using fulvicin, an oral anti-fungal powder and treat it internally if it doesn't clear up as you had hoped with the topical stuff. Also, whether you clip him or not, put a winter blanket on him.
Since rain rot is caused by a bacteria, how is an anti-fungal gonna help? Blanketing would not be a good idea either as the organism thrives on moisture and lack of oxygen. Sheesh!

http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthRainRot.shtml

VirginiaBred
Nov. 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
I second the penicillin, as we have administered that after a Betadine scrub, and it cleared right up!

I think you got yourself a steal on your hands, girl. :yes:

Jessi P
Nov. 11, 2006, 04:50 PM
I just wrote out this looonnnnnggg post, responding to everyone and posting new pics taken today, and it got lost in cyberspace when I posted it (at least, I THINK that's where it went...).... :o

So.. now I have to get dinner going and bunches of "Mom/responsible person stuff" to do before I can respond more completely again.

In the meantime, here are some new pics!

Me & my new boy (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2433592680056365630zAEcjP)

Count gobbling down carrots (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2551866320056365630GnutiT)

Count and Annette (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2669116980056365630stdrAU)

If anyone wants to go thru *ALL* of the new pics from today, they start at http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2853112490056365630kwXkhU and there are quite a few confo shots. Please pardon the overcast background and lack of color.... ;)

Thanks again everybody!

luvmytbs
Nov. 11, 2006, 05:37 PM
Jessi,

he is just lovely and does look very happy!

llsc
Nov. 11, 2006, 08:42 PM
He's quite a lovely horse and I'll bet he's all dappled when he sheds out in the spring. He's a really cool color. I've never seen a liver that dark with the light legs. Good luck with him.

abrant
Nov. 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
Can I just mention now NICE the Moutaineer backside looks! So clean! And paved!! :yes:

I almost lost my flat bed trailer in what appeared at first to be a puddle at Hawthorne this afternoon.

~Adrienne

BasqueMom
Nov. 12, 2006, 01:24 AM
Gorgeous boy and he looks like he has a lot of personality!

AstonMartin
Nov. 12, 2006, 01:39 AM
I like him!

I think he is gorgeous. With a bit of time and love I think he'll 'clean up real nice'.

Squirt
Nov. 12, 2006, 02:16 AM
I also saw $45 horse and had to come see what it was all about.

I have to add that my entire F-ing herd came up with rainrot this year. Grr. And it's been too dang cold to bathe anyone, so I used the Cowboy Magic krudbuster and it worked!!! Overnight!! I was amazed. I sprayed it on pretty thick and then used the stiffest brush the horse would tolerate and really scrubbed it in. I also kept sraying the brushes. Eight horses, and poof all gone!

I'm definitely going to remeber the H2O2 recipe though for future reference.

daytimedrama
Nov. 12, 2006, 02:19 AM
There is definately a gorgeous horse under there!!! His color is going to be beautiful!!

ridexc
Nov. 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
Slewdledo, not to hijack the thread, but I'd love to hear anything else you can tell me (privately, if you prefer) about Count the Time offspring. I have one of his babies in my barn -- also a rescue, adopted through LongRun, which is the TB adoption organization operating out of Woodbine racetrack. He's called Tiempo del Sol, and his racing history is a bit murky, though I gather he was pretty durable. I got him this spring as a seven-year-old... very cute guy, huntery build, not huge but nicely proportioned (about 15:3). I haven't done much with him yet but hoping to get going properly with him in the spring, see whether he'd rather be a hunter or an eventer. Not a lot of Count the Time babies up here in Toronto, so info is somewhat scarce!

And to return to the subject of rain-rot: I've never had a case I couldn't beat, up until this autumn. Not on Tiempo, but his pasture-buddy, Spike (OB racing, he's by Birdonthewire out of an El Prado mare <G>), who's four. Everyone's got a few crusties this fall, but Spike is a motheaten disaster, and getting pretty pissy about my scab-picking! I've whacked him full of penicillin twice, scrubbed betadine and chlorhexadine into his back... but it's too chilly to give him an iodine shampoo now, and I'm starting to run out of ideas! Maybe I'll have a look for that Equiderm stuff, or the Cowboy Magic...

juliab
Nov. 13, 2006, 09:17 AM
My mare came off the track with rainrot all over her rump and legs. I treated it with MuckItch Spray and it cleared up in a couple of days. You don't have to shampoo and just spray it on, rub it in a little and leave it. She is a super sensitive mare but didn't mind the stuff at all.

Lovely boy, btw :)

AC & Ty
Nov. 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
WOW what a cutie!!!! You have gotten yourself QUITE a deal!

And that color...he will be STUNNING in the summer, especially if you keep him up during the day...he will NO DOUBT turn heads at any horse show!!!

OH, and PS...please feel free to send him to me if you want someone to show him!!! :D :D :D

maunder
Nov. 15, 2006, 08:19 AM
Congratulations JessieP! He's just lovely! As I was reading through the thread and came to the one above mentioning the color and sunlight I suddenly recalled when my Morgan, a horse of the same lovely dark liver color, was boarded out and left to bask in the summer sun all day.

He turned a lovely shade of YELLOW!! ha ha Just a good-natured warning;)
Over the years and in keeping him at home with free choice in and out he never did turn that yellow again!

Your boy's liver color is highly prized in the Morgan world...and that color with dapples is absolutely lovely....but color aside...Count could be purple with polka dots and still be an gorgeous horse!:)

Jessi P
Nov. 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks again everyone. The more I am around Count the more I fall in love with him.

One VERY bad habit of his.... biting me in the back when I am exiting his stall. That REALLY needs to stop. I go in the stall to pick a pile and have to baaaccckk out so he doesn't bite me when I am defenseless with my hands full of pitchfork and poop. I learned this the hard way. :eek: :eek:

In his defense... he does stand quietly and play with you with his lips - mouthing and licking, nosing for treats. But he can't seem to resist a nip at my back when he gets the chance. A friend recommended using a wiffle-ball bat to teach him NOT to bite, as they make noise to get his attention, are painless to the horse, and can effectively correct biting when used judiciously. Maybe after his vacation, if he still does the biting. Sounds incredibly mean... but it seems like it would be pretty painless.

Count will be getting body clipped (most likely) tomorrow unless I have a big hole open up in my schedule today. I will post pics afterwards!

The plan with Count is to get him to the farm (once I get him clipped) and give him a month or two of down time to chill out and decide if he likes us or not. Then we will begin the process of teaching him to be a leadpony. Hopefully he will enjoy it and have a productive career.

If not, Count looks almost identical to my good friend Annette's ol QH mare Jenny, her "horse of a lifetime" who she put down as a grand old lady about 10 years ago. She was figuring out that Jenny was put down just a few months before Count was born, so it COULD possibly be reincarnation...lol. He is the same color and has an almost identical stripe - Jenny had a rounder star tho, where his has an indentation on the left. Still, the resemblance is amazing. Annette's specialty is trail riding, so Count might end up as a trail horse..... hey, it's always good to have a plan B, right? :D :D

Altho he DOES have the conformation and looks to do some small shows, or maybe eventing. :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

I have gotten a FIRM commitment from darling Darren that he will not even THINK about racing Count. :D

I will have to remember: liver + sun bleaching = yellow LOL. Personally I don't care for yellow ponies!

Oh, he starts on some penicillin today as well - we will blast him with 30 cc and see if he really hates us afterwards.

I can't tell you guys how excited we are about this cheap ol' gelding. If ONLY we didn't have to be on constant guard for the biting...

Barnfairy
Nov. 15, 2006, 10:03 AM
I love this story. Thanks for doing the right thing, Jessi, and also for sharing with us.

Maybe the biting will subside a little once Count is feeling better and secure in a new job. Or then again, maybe not...thinking of John Henry....

Lynnwood
Nov. 15, 2006, 12:11 PM
On the issure of biting we have used the plastic bat idea and it wokred ok. We get alot of uncut 2-3year old big warmblood babies right out of Europe and they are offten buggers. The do learn when you have it and not. We have also used small water pistols hiden in your hand when they go to nip squirt it ..element of surprise. On really bad stallion prospect would nip anytime you had a lead attached grab your hand and fingers we used a plain leather glove with thumb tacks pushed threw the inside to the outside ...we never hit him just let him attempt to bite the spiked glove...lesson learned.

Classic Melody
Nov. 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
Great story, and he looks like he will clean up nice! Wonderful job. :D

I've been wondering, are we going to get an update on Max anytime soon? Been thinking about the big guy...

Jessi P
Nov. 21, 2006, 10:23 AM
Hey guys...

Well Mr Darling Darren and I have made the decision to place/ sell Count.

We have spoken at length with the trainer who owned him 2 owners ago, and she is also a pony person and married to an outrider. It is their opinion that Count will NOT make a good lead pony - he HATES being at the track and is quite sour and grumpy here. Debbie told me to watch him carefully if we do try to use him to pony because on the occasion of another horse crowding into him he DID kick out at the other horse - didnt make contact, but kicking at the horse next to you in a lead pony is a huge no no. Count will be a super riding horse - he has a great mind, personality, and is built like a tank. Even tho he doesnt hit 15.3 he has a wide chest and big barrel that will take up a lot of leg. But he needs a month or more off to let his mind decompress and so we have decided to try to place or sell him.

I have offered him for free to a couple close friends who I trust, and I am waiting to hear back from them (one is in Russia til the 26th). If they decline the offer Count will be posted for sale at a price high enough to insure that he will not be bought and resold for the killers ($600-700). I contemplated giving him away for free completely but doing so to a stranger just doesn't sit right with me. If that stranger had excellent references from someone I trust, that is a different story, but I cant take the chance someone would take Count and send him to Sugar Creek to make a quick $300-400.

Has anyone ever done this? Placing a horse with someone you DONT know based on the referral of someone you DO know and trust?

Count will be a nice resale project and I have no objection to him being resold, just NOT to the killers/ Sugarcreek. Unfortunately we can only "carry" so many horses, and as much as I like Count I don't have the time to put into him for a resale myself. I THOUGHT I had a friend who had offered to park him for me for free at his farm for a month while he borrows my stall, our equipment etc, but that "friend" has turned out to be less of a "friend" and more of a "mooch" who will be seeing the door of my barn shortly.

As for Max - just talked to his owner/trainer 2 days ago about him again. Max actually looks quite well, I saw him before his most recent race and he does look good (but he is back at the farm now, swimming, he only comes in for a race or breeze). I jokingly reminded L.G. about not sending the horse to the killers and he replied "Well I will only get $300 for him that way, YOU guys are going to give me $500!" And he says AGAIN "Just one more race...but I dont want to winter him." I am getting so INCREDIBLY tired of hearing that, my ex husband told me the same thing when I used to point out it was PAST time to quit with a horse. L.G. DID say that he would like to see pics of Max and hear updates about his life with his new owners down the road. We must encourage this type of concern! :winkgrin:

I have to say, that this guy (who is mid 60s-early 70s) is slick as spit, a hardened racetracker, and runs his operation VERY MUCH as a business (save the rundown patches from one horse to the next, dont waste anything, etc), but I have seen in the last 6 months a softening in this guy. He is definitely showing more of a concern for the horses well-being. He scratched all of his horses from the Labor Day turf stakes because he felt it was too hard and not safe for a horse to run over. He has a mare, Lady Grace, who is almost unbeatable in the open allowances and who has won too many of the stakes to count. She is supposed to be retiring this year (she is 8) and that would have been her last race of her life, all but guaranteed an easy win, and $70k in his pocket. Yet he scratched Gracie and couple other horses from the turf to protect them and protest the turf conditions. He was proven right when a horse Lac a Rock who was shipped in to our care for the stake race broke a back leg on the turf that day going into the first turn. And I see them treating their horses differently - more as individuals than an assembly line. Dont know if the interest in Max has helped this along at all but I am glad to see it.

Part of the reason for deciding to sell/place Count is the fact that I have to keep a stall available for Max, and then we have Ms Boom Boom and the kids' pony who are not earning their keep (and Boomers hasnt earned her keep... EVER LOL so she is NOT exactly Darren's favorite horse). :cool: I can only crack the whip every so often over my darling Darren and ask him to feed so many "extra" horses for me ... :D The poor man.

Jessi P
Nov. 21, 2006, 10:34 AM
On the issure of biting we have used the plastic bat idea and it wokred ok. We get alot of uncut 2-3year old big warmblood babies right out of Europe and they are offten buggers. The do learn when you have it and not. We have also used small water pistols hiden in your hand when they go to nip squirt it ..element of surprise. On really bad stallion prospect would nip anytime you had a lead attached grab your hand and fingers we used a plain leather glove with thumb tacks pushed threw the inside to the outside ...we never hit him just let him attempt to bite the spiked glove...lesson learned.

All great ideas, thanks for sharing!

I bet some of those 2-3 yo warmbloods were total PITAs if they hadnt had a whole lot of "respect" training while their cajones were developing.

tradewind
Nov. 21, 2006, 02:00 PM
Jessi, you might contact Rerun..www.rerun.org..they take in donated horses from the track, do any rehab that might be needed and place them in adoptive homes with a lifetime contract..then you would never have to worry about him going to an auction...etc..hope this helps you out in your decision on how to place Count.

summerhorse
Nov. 21, 2006, 05:11 PM
When giving away a horse (or other pet) pesonal references are nice but it is more important I think to get business references, like calling the vets, farriers, feed stores in the area, barn owners, trainers they have worked with. Find out how they treat their other horses, if they keep their feet, vaccinations, etc. up. If their horses get sick or injured a lot from preventable things, if any died in bad ways, if they buy/sell constantly, that sort of thing. Most people will want to furnish you plenty of references if they take good care of their horses but it doesn't hurt to check around a bit and make sure the person isn't a run down the line (of vets, farriers, boarding stables, etc) leaving a wake of unpaid bills. Also call Animal Control and see if they have any reports on them (that is public record), you can also look up their arrest records (if any) online in most places. Civil suits too although those should be taken with a grain of salt as you often don't see the result of the filing, just the filing. But if somebody had multiple non payment type suits against them I'd certainly beware!

The person who can cough up the most money is not necessarily going to be the person who gives the best care (or for the longest time...) I would certainly ask a decent price though if I were going to just sell him but that won't necessarily keep him out of the auction houses. People are weird. I've seen puppies handed over at the animal shelter that someone just bought for $600 and had second thoughts about (but the pet store doesn't give buyer's remorse refunds!)

All that can take time though so if you can get him into a rescue that can find someone to retrain him and adopt him out on a contract that would be even better!

Glad Max is doing OK. I hope you continue to rub off on his trainer/owners.

Barnfairy
Nov. 21, 2006, 05:37 PM
I've always thought it's a pretty darned special horse that can tolerate being a pony -- not that Count isn't special in his own way, of course! :winkgrin: Good for you on deciding to find him an appropriate home.

Ditto on getting business references, esp. vet, farrier, even current employer.

Also, it's shocking sometimes how much you can find out just by Googling a person's name with their occupation or address. I Google my own name once in a while just to check what other people could find out about me! :uhoh:

Jessi P
Nov. 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
I got some new pics of Count today and added his page to our website:

http://pennyroyalstables.com/count.html

He has one very interested fan (shhh, it's a COTHer!) who is only 90 minutes away. Cross your fingers....we'll know more tonight!

This horse is just too cool. In between races last night (Bracey ran a kick butt third last night beaten a NECK) I clipped Count's face and ears and pulled his mane. He is just a neat horse. Very curious, outgoing, eager, and with a great sense of humor. His next owner is going to be a very lucky person! He still needs his shoes yanked, a proper trim, and bodyclipped.

GREAT ideas for checking business references and GOOGLE. Isnt it amazing (and sometimes downright SCARY) what you can find out about a person by google-ing them.

RHdobes563
Nov. 25, 2006, 11:32 AM
May I commend you on the close, detailed pictures of Count? It is frustrating to me to see pictures of horses for sale/placement, yet what I need to see---legs, hooves---are hidden or not shown at all.

Jessi P
Nov. 26, 2006, 08:46 AM
RHD thank you!

I try to include all of the pictures that I would want to see if I was looking at a horse to purchase. I usually try to include:

Confo left
confo right
front legs left
front legs right
butt/rear view (incl legs)
and a shot to show the horse's personality like this one : http://pennyroyalstables.com/Countface.jpg

I have to take tons of pics to get a good one of each view and it doesn't always work that I get "the perfect" shot of each - I try for one good shot of each view. We were very lucky to have such great sun light on that particular day as well (not always so lucky!).

I also take video clips, usually one walking and one trot each direction. They are short, just 3-8 seconds each, but usually enough to give a buyer an idea of what kind of mover the horse is. We are trying to figure out how to get the videos onto the website - but my camera creates weird file extentions and until I learn how to change that they will have to be embedded to post on the web page - stuff for the 14 yo son to work on. :cool:

Having a good holder who is willing to work with you is important - my friend Annette and I get great pics together - she used to do portrait photography so that helps - yesterday she did 'funeral home photog' as she had a loved one pass and someone mentioned she looked so very lovely in the casket someone ought to take a pic. SO Annie got some pics - funeral photography. Hey, at least she didn't have to shoot a moving target. Darlin Darren is usually growling and not nearly as cooperative ("aren't you DONT yet??? What do you mean, the horse IS leaning forward - I thought you WANTED her that way?? Who cares about a da#n SHADOW on the horse's face???").

Thanks again, it is nice to hear compliments on the pics that I put up for the sale horses - I take a lot of time to try to present the horse in it's best light and am mainly concerned about putting that horse into a great situation, not just making a buck (since I usually dont make a $ anyway lol).