PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon!! Who's going?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 6, 2006, 07:20 PM
Okay, time for a roll call! :)

I'll be there doing OT with The Princess, and I have two students riding, one entered in TR (the one with the "situationally ditchy" mare), and the other doing her *very first BN*--and *very first Recognized HT*! (She's nervous, but also extremely excited :p) I know Pied Piper is taking Matt to his first outing at Novice (he's been schooling well :))--this is his maiden voyage at N Level only because he missed out on doing his *first* first Novice when they cancelled Waredaca...

Who else??

yellowbritches
Nov. 6, 2006, 08:04 PM
We scratched both the novice mares today (see my Weekend to forget post). I'll still be there, though. Coaching, grooming, and helping Eric and Sheryl out (probably more during the week setting up so I can be with our people while they compete).

Briefly considered putting Jed in little mare's spot, but I made the decision to keep things easy this fall for him, and I'm not sure I'LL be sound enough to ride anyway!:rolleyes:

Good luck to those who are riding!!!

Janet
Nov. 6, 2006, 08:25 PM
I think Gillian is on the waiting list with Sally.

asterix
Nov. 6, 2006, 09:11 PM
Ah, yes, the Giant Wait List. I think I am in 17th place on the OT waitlist. This is what I get for trying to do the right thing and sign up for OT rather than TR (which has an 8 person waitlist)...I figured we were pretty confirmed and competitive at T, and shouldn't be in TR any more (not withstanding our VERY TR, not to mention TH [if not BNR and BNH] moment at our very own ditch last weekend)...
sigh.
mr. asterix has declared it a nonhorsey weekend so I can't go volunteer this time around. have fun for me!!
I plan to hit the schooling day in consolation...

tannaman
Nov. 6, 2006, 09:14 PM
i entered rubicon the day i entered waredaca..they aren't calling for rain this friday are they :roll:

figured we were pretty confirmed and competitive at T, and shouldn't be in TR any more
oh no, ride that wave for as long as you can...unless you of course like being wait listed in the open divisions.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2006, 12:14 AM
Bummer yellowbritches and asterix! (Although at least yellowbritches will be there "participating" at the event; just not riding this time! :p)

Asterix, Mr. Dr. D *wishes* he could declare EVERY weekend "a non-horsey weekend"...:lol: (Though every weekend pretty much *has* to be a horsey weekend for me, he at least only gets dragged along to the HTs I compete in--so maybe 5 or 6 weekends a year...;))

The Schooling day is always enjoyable, though--if I go I'll keep an eye out for you...

tannaman, SHHHH about the weather! (Some of the forecasters are predicting rain on Sunday...:sigh: I'm remaining in denial about the possibility, and besides--how accurate can they be 6 days in advance? :p)

PiedPiper
Nov. 7, 2006, 07:33 AM
Yep I am signed up and as ready as I will ever be. Thought I was going to be there both days since i was going to trailer a friend on Sunday, but that is now clear so I need to contact them about volunteering. This is my last free weekend before I am going to be SLAMMED with work for about a month but then my schedule really opens up!:D Great, just in time for winter. :winkgrin:

Catalina
Nov. 7, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'll be there doing NR-A.

Ride Irish
Nov. 7, 2006, 09:45 AM
My big boy will be doing OBN with Gillian! Hopefully I will see how easy it is and be doing BNR with him in the Spring! Gillian had him for two weeks and he seems to be a different pony...forward and happy!

Good luck PP, Dr. D and all the rest.

mythical84
Nov. 7, 2006, 10:08 AM
I'll be there volunteering on Sunday. I have no idea where I'll be, but I'm hoping to XC jump judge so I can sit in my car all day. :-)

Does anyone know when the volunteer schooling day will be?

bambam
Nov. 7, 2006, 10:43 AM
We are done competing for the season but I will be there Sunday volunteering- no idea what I am doing but hopefully I can cheer folks on.
Am going to try to dot eh schooling day too.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hey bambam--how'de it go at the Training 3-Day??

(I'll keep an eye out for you on Sunday--will say hi if I have time! Now I can at least recognize you "off the horse and in civilian clothes"...:p)

FrittSkritt
Nov. 7, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'll be volunteering both days.

Invested1
Nov. 7, 2006, 12:39 PM
I'll be there on Sunday riding in TR-B. Feel free to cheer us on!! :D

yellowbritches
Nov. 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
We're definitely going to come out and play on the schooling day. Jed needs to redeem himself from his antics back a couple of months ago (I'm trying to decide, though, if a busy schooling day is the day to do it), and the new guy wants to show us what he's made of and prove that he isn't just a big powder puff big Eq horse (you should have seen his temper tantrum this afternoon when it started to rain and we didn't bring him right in! You would have thought it was acid falling from the sky :lol: ). Little mare may come out to play too, with either me or her teenager, and show us that, yes, she DOES know how to jump ditches...she just temporarily forgot on Sunday:rolleyes: .

We'll be helping on Thursday, at least.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2006, 08:17 PM
I actually wish I were ABLE to volunteer :sigh: Sheryl and Eric are SO wonderful, and put on such a great event--it makes you *want* to help them out somehow! :yes: Maybe when I'm "retired" from competing--until then, this is one of my favorites events (and a venue that my finicky mare actually *likes! :lol:), so I always have to include it on my schedule...:)

RideIrish--that's so cool that Gillian will be riding your boy--I hope he goes out there and jumps around everything willingly, with those great lop ears pricked (you know he can jump the moon when he wants to :p)

Invested--how has Tedi been doing?? I think you are in the same division as my student, Erin, who has the little gray mare--I'll have to cheer on both of you at once. ;)

Janet
Nov. 7, 2006, 08:42 PM
My big boy will be doing OBN with Gillian! Hopefully I will see how easy it is and be doing BNR with him in the Spring! Gillian had him for two weeks and he seems to be a different pony...forward and happy!

Good luck PP, Dr. D and all the rest. Is that the grey horse that has been at Gillian's place for a couple of weeks? Belle LOVES him.

CamsMom
Nov. 7, 2006, 09:34 PM
I will be volunteering both Saturday and Sunday. I will be cross-country judging Saturday but don't know what I will be doing on Sunday. My daughter is competing in JBN in her first recognized HT. She had her very first event last Sunday and if she hadn't had a refusal on cross country she would have won her division!

Elghund2
Nov. 8, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'll be volunteering either saturday or sunday. It depends on the weather. If the weather is going to be iffy, then I'll be at Rubicon on the iffy day and hunting on the nice day.

Invested1
Nov. 8, 2006, 09:57 AM
Invested--how has Tedi been doing?? I think you are in the same division as my student, Erin, who has the little gray mare--I'll have to cheer on both of you at once. ;)

(Knock on wood!!) He's actually been really good lately! Our canter still leaves *A LOT* to be desired (though it is definitely better than it used to be) but our trot work is coming along. I'm going to have Allison warm us up this time so hopefully Tedi and I will ride like we've been doing in our lessons lately. :D

Jumped the other day for the first time since DVPC HT---ummm, it wasn't so pretty. :lol:

Watch, with my luck, we'll actually do well in dressage, then choke jumping. :winkgrin: :lol:

How's the Princess?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 8, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm sure you'lle do fine! :yes: If I have time, I'll try to watch your test and your stadium round (depending on how close your ride times are to Erin's...) Did you get him drilled and tapped??

They are now saying possible RAIN on Sat. night! :sigh: Ugh! Damn!

The Princess has been great, thanks for asking; we had a really nice school at Wingreen a little over a week ago, and did the 3'3" Jumper class at FP last Sunday (piece of cake :)) Lately her dressage has been pretty solid--WHEN she's paying attention to me and not looking for "spook excuses" at home! :rolleyes: However, if it rains at all heavily the night before, I will probably have to scratch...:cry: (Which would be *really* dissapointing, considering how much work and preparation I've put into this...especially since I don't enter very many HTs. :sigh: If that winds up being the case, though, I will *definitely* be taking her to the schooling day--weather permitting!)

Ride Irish
Nov. 8, 2006, 11:34 AM
Dr. D - Thanks! I hope the past is behind us and the lop-eared grey one will be living up to his capabilities! I think Training goes on Sunday so I'll keep an eye out for you.

Janet - yes he's the one - the girls always seem to gravitate towards him and he loves them. Gillian did such a wonderful job with in him in that short time! I am really looking forward to Sunday.

Invested1
Nov. 8, 2006, 12:41 PM
Times are up!

Invested1
Nov. 8, 2006, 05:43 PM
Am planning on heading out Friday to walk my xc course. Times are just a wee bit tight for me to do it after dressage.

Anyone else?

Elliot
Nov. 8, 2006, 05:52 PM
I'll be there with my greenbean. His very first beginner novice. Look for four big socks going by at 90 mph!

Although if it rains, I may bag the whole thing. I was freezing last weekend at Virginia and will not be wet and miserable this weekend!

AshKnoll
Nov. 8, 2006, 07:17 PM
I will be there; it looks like in NR-B. My times are good, with dressage around Noon, and then jumping around 2:30 on Saturday. Hopefully, we don't get anymore rain, it is so sloppy out there right now, otherwise it looks nice temperature wise for Saturday.

Good luck to everyone. And I always like to meet fellow bb members so feel free to come up and say hi, my name is Carolyn and I will be on a dark bay with a distinctive blaze and four socks.

PiedPiper
Nov. 8, 2006, 07:54 PM
I am doing dressage at 12:02, stadium 12:24 and cross country 12:44. So will probably see you Jumper63! :D

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2006, 12:55 AM
You Novice folks are lucky with those great times! (I'm riding "relatively" late in the Training divison--dressage at 9:15...they are starting the dressage rides on both Sat. and Sun. at *7:30*! :eek:)

Invested: I will be walking the course with one student on Thursday afternoon, and with the other on Saturday...I will be sure to post some of my impressions on Thursday night! ;)

PiedPiper
Nov. 9, 2006, 07:59 AM
Dr D

You are walking today? What time? If in the afternoon I might be able to meet you over there.

:D

Catalina
Nov. 9, 2006, 09:04 AM
I have dressage at 10:55 then jumping at 1:48, so I have a good 2 and a half hours in between :D.

Jumper63: My friend has dressage at 12:00, so I will probably be down at the ring watching. I'll keep an eye out for you :).

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hey PP--I will be there with Janya at around 2:45--I will walk her course with her first (BN), and then walk the Training course afterward. (She has to leave by 3:30 or so in order to be at work in Alexandria by 4:30-5;00, so we will be "picking them up and putting them down"...:p)

I don't need to be back to pick up Little D this afternoon, so will probably stay out there as long as I need to (until 4:30 or 5:00) I'll have my cell phone on me, so feel free to give me a call if you're there and can't locate me! :)

FrittSkritt
Nov. 9, 2006, 01:17 PM
Okay, turns out I will be doing stadium warmup on Saturday and stadium scribing on Sunday... be sure to stop by and say hi! I'm the tall, confused looking blonde.

Cross your fingers that we don't get rained on! Forecast says <30% chance, let's hope it stays that way!

Invested1
Nov. 9, 2006, 01:46 PM
Okay, turns out I will be doing stadium warmup on Saturday and stadium scribing on Sunday... be sure to stop by and say hi! I'm the tall, confused looking blonde.

Cross your fingers that we don't get rained on! Forecast says <30% chance, let's hope it stays that way!

Didn't you help at stadium in the spring? We met, right? :D

bambam
Nov. 9, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm the tall, confused looking blonde.

That pretty much covers me too so ask the tall confused blonde if they go by bambam or frittskritt :D
No idea what I am doing Sunday yet

Dr D- the T3DE went pretty well. Only one bad moment but unfortunately it was a big one (not just a stop, but me jumping the fence solo :o ) but it was a reasonable fence for her to go "ack! no!" at the very last second (a keyhole- never done one as far as I know) and the rest was pretty close to foot perfect (including stadium which was a lovely change) so I will take that :) . It was a fun week and I no longer understand why anyone would want to voluntarily give up steeplechase :) I will keep an eye for you to say hi (since I will be incognito in real people clothes)

I will cheer everybody on (well unless I am dressage scribing- they might frown on that :lol: )

mythical84
Nov. 9, 2006, 03:58 PM
Hmmm ... have volunteers been notified yet of what their jobs may be?

I'm hoping for an easier day since I'm going to be spending most of my day Saturday leveling stalls with stonedust, packing it down and then lugging stall mats into the stalls. So I'll be the slightly confused and very tired looking brown-haired girl doing something on Sunday.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 9, 2006, 04:10 PM
Invested - yup, that was me!

Invested1
Nov. 9, 2006, 04:13 PM
Invested - yup, that was me!

Yay, I remember you!! We'll be there Sunday--same colors as last time--burgundy and hunter green! Feel free to say hi if I don't see you first! :D

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2006, 08:21 PM
FrittSkritt and bambam...if dressage scribing for the Open Training A Division, please feel free to "cheer" quietly, and also talk about how *wonderful* and *lovely* that chestnut mare is (maybe it will help distract the judge from all the blowing and spooking :lol:) Obviously I don't know what ring I am in yet (I'm hoping 1 or 2, since they are the ones on the Permaflex :p), but I ride at 9:15 on Sunday.

bambam--sounds like a really good experience at the T2D, all in all! Yay! (And "ouch"--though apparently you were okay, thank goodness...:p Anyway, it gives me something to shoot for with *my* HRH for next year...;))

I walked the Rubicon course this afternoon, and it looks great (they weren't completely finished putting together a few of the newer jumps, and hadn't flagged the BN course yet, but we were able to figure out where everything was without course maps...:)) The footing is in excellent shape, with just a few muddy spots in the lower lying areas--but it should all be fine by Sat. (Let's hope that the rain accompanying the passing front later Sat. is *really* just "light showers" for we riders who go on Sunday! :sigh:)

I'm excited to ride the thing, and even the Prelim stadium (already set) looked inviting and flowing (and doable even for my "stadium drama queen"--who I would like to take to Prelim before I'm too decrepid to ride! :p)
Thank you David O'Connor! :D (He was riding around the X-country in his golf cart, "overseeing" everything, looking very much like the "squire of the manor"--I was tempted to ask for a ride, actually...:p)

There is a Liverpool on the Prelim stadium (and it may also be on the Training course), but it's under a simple vertical, with a pretty rideable approach...

Good luck to everyone, and if you happen to see me, please say hi! (I will be there for a couple of hours on Sat., warming up PP for dressage, and hopefully walking her stadium course with her--then re-walking the Training X-country course with my TR student...Then I will be there ALL day on Sunday--sorta like the volunteers! My BN student doesn't ride her X-country until 4:00 PM...Since Mr. Dr. D will be driving, it sounds like a good excuse to bring along a cooler fulll of beer. :D))

And you "tall, confused looking blondes" have a small but meaningful advantage over "short, prematurely? senile blondes"...:lol:

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 10, 2006, 09:43 AM
I'm jump judging xc on Sunday so I'll see some of you there.

Fritt, do I hear a request for Banana Pudding? :winkgrin:

FrittSkritt
Nov. 10, 2006, 09:57 AM
Woohoo! Yessss!

P.S. Tell Mr. Wings that I've tried about 2 or 3 other types of pork bbq in the past 6 months and none have even come *close* to his... but by all means, don't tell him if it makes him gloat. ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
Not looking good for the Sunday riders...the newest weather forecast is predicting rain *overnight* Sat...INTO Sunday morning...:mad: :cry:

AARRGGHH!!

:sigh: I guess there's always the schooling day if we wind up having to scratch...

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
I seem to recall that I have a half gallon of bbq frozen that would do nicely to keep the banana pudding chilled. ;)

Trixie and I are headed to Frying Pan tomorrow to play "let's not shame ourselves" at the hunter show.

polo3day
Nov. 10, 2006, 11:37 AM
Well, Dr. D I am hoping for weather.com to be right this time - it makes it seem as if the rain should stop sometime between 10pm and 6am. Since I was blessed with an 8am dressage time Sunday I will pray for it to NOT be 35 and raining sunday am at dark o'clock when i get up to braid!!!

I will be there tomorrow am to watch GotSpots pony go around 8;20 in the prelim. Here's hoping for not too much rain!

GotSpots
Nov. 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
Polo - that's why you braid the night before!!! You and your Pony Club perfectionism... ;)

Story's an awfully big "pony" but Ti will be going novice later on Saturday (and he still has youngster/pony tendencies). Me, I'm simply hoping not to embarass the Sainted Beast on Sunday morning in the training.

polo3day
Nov. 10, 2006, 02:00 PM
Polo - that's why you braid the night before!!! You and your Pony Club perfectionism... ;)

Story's an awfully big "pony" but Ti will be going novice later on Saturday (and he still has youngster/pony tendencies). Me, I'm simply hoping not to embarass the Sainted Beast on Sunday morning in the training.

Sure GotSpots, make me sound like I'm 12! Thanks - The camouflage for this lurker is just right... And please - as you hope to not embarass, that is usually when you beat me by like 10 points! Would you rather I said I was going early to watch your giant monster of a horse? tee hee hee. That gorgeous beastie... I think I'm ready - had an awesome lesson this morning with the dq'est of us all. ;-)~

mythical84
Nov. 10, 2006, 02:19 PM
Just found out that I'll be XC jump judging on Sunday, and the briefing is at 7:45! Eeek! I guess no sleeping in for me this weekend. :(

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yes, the start times are early--7:30 for the first dressage ride! :eek:

(I'm assuming it's because of the number of entries, and at this time of year--wanting to get everyone done and home before dark, if possible! ;))

Despite weather.com saying that the rain may be over by morning, if it rains significantly overnight, there won't be enough time for it to absorb into the ground before the jumping phases...:sigh: I like Tom Keirein's forecast (Channel 4), since he says: "one tenth to a quarter of an inch possible"--that might be okay, *but* if we get the T-Storms and/or the heavier rain that some *others* are forecasting, we will be up you know who's proverbial creek without the paddle...(Waredaca redux...)

(My horse is barefoot, one of my student's horses is barefoot, and the other student's horse is barefoot behind...studding is "not an option"! :sigh:)

bambam
Nov. 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
FrittSkritt and bambam...if dressage scribing for the Open Training A Division, please feel free to "cheer" quietly, and also talk about how *wonderful* and *lovely* that chestnut mare is (maybe it will help distract the judge from all the blowing and spooking :lol:) Obviously I don't know what ring I am in yet (I'm hoping 1 or 2, since they are the ones on the Permaflex :p), but I ride at 9:15 on Sunday.

Happy to do what I can to help (although I don't really do anything quietly so could be ugly :) ). Also I have not heard back from them about what I am doing so no idea. I cannot imagine they have enough volunteers that they would turn one away (does that ever happen?) so I am assuming I will hear from them at some point.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2006, 08:17 PM
bambam...:lol: Thanks for the offer :D...it is looking more and more as though the weather will be nasty from Sat. night *through* MOST of Sunday, so it looks like about a 90% likelihood that I will have to scratch. :sigh:

I am seriously contemplating not even bothering to clean my tack :sigh:, and the hard part will be having to break it to my one student (who has been working like a DOG for months to prepare for her very first BN!!) that we ALL may have to scratch! :cry:

(The hubby, sensing my "black mood descending", has offered to take me to Bonefish Grill on Sat. night as a consolation...I would rather have him take a day off to accompany me to the schooling day--now *that's* a consolation! :p)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2006, 08:18 PM
Meanwhile, there's always wine...:p

Invested1
Nov. 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
Ah man! Where did this rain forecast come from? NOOOOOO!!!!
With no option to stud, if it's too nasty, we'll have to scratch. :cry:

Let's hope those weathermen are dead wrong!! It can rain all it wants to come Sunday night. :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2006, 10:43 PM
Touche' to that!

Doesn't look likely, though...:mad:

Crap! (Alas, that's eventing...:sadsmile:...)

tannaman
Nov. 11, 2006, 09:01 PM
one of my rules is: no matter the weather forecast, a forum post ;) , or the weather at home before i leave, ALWAYS go and evaluate the conditions firsthand. if they have a 4x4 tractor and chain awaiting you at the parking entrance just to pull you in THEN you drive by and go home for sure.

your BN student should be able to go considering she can trot the course and be perfectly fine barefoot even in wet/muddy conditions.

as for training, even today you would have been NUTS to go barefoot at novice. there are so many going around unbalanced and out of rythmn as it is the horses need their footing even in stadium, which is grass and chewed up now. they were working on all the takeoff spots in stadium/xc as we left this afternoon. my horse is 'sneakered' in front (full shoe/silicon pour) and i had some very aggressive studs in-all around. the novice course was pretty uncomplicated all day.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
Well, I just got back from spending most of the day at Rubicon (and afterward, riding my horse--in the "balmy" temps), and to give a quick report,
the footing held up pretty well, but there were definitely some "churned up spots" on the takeoffs and landings; the more cautious horses were having some sticky jumping moments as a result! Due to the weather forecasts (ALL of 'em)--the "heavy and steady rain with T-Storms overnight and *all day* tomorrow" gloom and doom prognostications--issued by a legion of grinning meteorologists who obviously have *NO* outdoor plans of their own :rolleyes:--I decided to scratch, and I recommended that my students scratch as well...we all plan to go to the schooling day, and since one of my students *and* I both volunteered, we will be able to go next Saturday...:)

We (and our horses) will live to compete another day, and I can finally get some sleep! (I had been having nightmares about soggy cross country and stadium courses and slippery takeoffs for the past two nights...:p I should sleep like a baby tonight, now that my decision is made! :winkgrin:) I hope there are no catastophies tomorrow due to the footing--they are predicting some localized flooding by midday tomorrrow, and the ground is already pretty saturated :frown: (I will probably be jump judging, and will report back tomorrow night as to how it went for the horses and riders!)

I saw Pied Piper (warmed her up for dressage and stadium, and she can tell her own story :)), Jumper63, who *pinned* in her division! :D, FrittSkritt, B Street Tango, and I know there were some other COTHers there--but I will probably see them tomorrow...

Good luck to all of those who are riding tomorrow, and I have three words for you..."Big mud bullets!" :D

yellowbritches
Nov. 11, 2006, 11:03 PM
We scratched both our BN horses for tomorrow, so Dr. D, don't feel bad. With Neigh being 20, I think I have every right to be picky in what conditions he runs in. On top of that, his rider has been having some confidence issues the last couple of weeks and was going back and forth on whether she should scratch. If the footing was going to be bad, she didn't need to jump in it. And as it was only her second HT, why risk making it a bad experience? The other rider had been planning for a couple of weeks to just go and ride dressage (she and her horse have been having problems on all fronts, caused almost entirely in his unwillingness to cooperate with her on the flat. He's perfect for the boss and I). After she walked into the barn yesterday and fell head over heels in love with the new horse, rode him, and is now completely smitten, she asked if she could ride him in her test instead (she probably good have done the whole event on him and been fine). We agreed, but with icky footing, a greenish rider and a VERY nice horse, decided they can stay home, too.

Our one horse that did make it today had a GREAT day! Grey horse's dad still can't seem to remember a test, but what he did remember was beautiful, and was scored as such. They were tied for second after dressage, and I was really happy that the judge judged him as a novice rider and, although she commented on his seat, she forgave him because he rides his horse very well, despite not looking like a DQ (converted jumper rider...he's got issues with keeping his butt in the saddle). It took them a couple of fences into stadium, but they had a great round (horse is a great show jumper, and rider is a great show jump rider). They had a rail, and neither the boss or I could really see why. Rider thinks grey horse slipped on take off maybe. He was sure he was knocked down a few placings with the rail. They went out on cross country, and except for a sticky moment at 3, which was well sat and worked out, had a BEAUTIFUL round. By far their best of the season. Kept a great rhythm, got great distances to most everything, and kicked it up a notch when needed instead of getting lulled into the grey horse's big, lopey going no where stride. I can't WAIT to see their picture from the brush oxer after the camp ground...they couldn't have jumped it any better! Big cheers and congrats all the way back to the trailer. At least someone had a great final note to the season, and they certainly redeemed themselves from their cross country round last week. We were certain they'd get a ribbon ("Maybe another pink ribbon!" Silly men are so embarrassed by those pink ribbons). After we'd taken care of grey horse, fed ourselves (there was no more BBQ!!!), and hung out for a while, I went and checked scores....THEY WON!!!!!:D Now, THAT'S the way to end the season!!!:cool:

This is great, across the board. Obviously, we're doing something right at home. Grey horse has always been a good dressage horse, but it has taken his dad awhile to get the hang of the whole dressage thing. To go from scores in the 50s and comments like "Nice horse, learn to ride him," back at the spring Rubicon to being tied for second (and routinely getting scores in the 30s...despite errors :rolleyes: ) is huge! And their jumping has gotten so good, and the rider is really becoming a cross country rider! The biggest thing for me, personally, is that this very cool horse finally got a result he deserved. When I competed him last fall and some this spring, we often thought he got a little robbed in his dressage scores. He really earned his blue...what a very awesome horse!! :D

Invested1
Nov. 11, 2006, 11:44 PM
So, in typical Tedi fashion, I went out to the barn on Friday to discover that not only had he completely destroyed yet another bell boot, but that he had taken off a shoe too!!! :eek: :sigh: Luckily, I had the farrier scheduled to come out bright and early on Saturday morning to reset Tedi's shoes since they looked like they were pinching his heels. While he was out, I had him drill the shoes for studs. Soooo, even though we've never used them before, my trainer thinks we'd be fine going in them tomorrow.

So at this point, I'm still completely undecided. Every time I think I've made up my mind, I waiver. I figure I'm just going to wake up and make a decision in the morning. I debate on driving out just for dressage--might be a decent time to try out riding in studs--and making decisions from there. We'll see. Honestly, if it's dumping rain in the morning, I don't really relish the idea of driving in that crap much less riding....

*sigh* Guess I'll have a better idea in about 7 hours....

PiedPiper
Nov. 12, 2006, 09:15 AM
Ahh yes, the already soft ground did us in. I am going to kill my farrier since he has YET to get the stud holes correct with our glue ons! So once again we had glue in the stud holes and I could not stud up which ended up being our downfall. Grrr, he is getting a call today about this! I am SICK of this problem!

Anyway, a BIG THANKS to Dr. D for all her help and to Fritt for helping talk me through my disappointment about scratching.

Dr.D helped warm me up for dressage which was a definite improvement for Matt. An amazing test from what he was putting in a few months ago which is a testement to Dr. Pete Hillgardner and dressage lessons from Dr. D and also Sara Bilinski. Our test was marked with some excitement since about a minute before the bell was to ring a horse came galloping to us from stadium and into the ring. Matt recovered nicely and put in a reasonable test so I was quite happy with him. I need to do LOTS of dressage shows this winter to work on tension in me especially during my transistions but he was wonderful!

We hit a major snag during warm up for stadium. Ground was very churned up in the whole area and especially around the jumps and Matt started getting upset about it. And then he did something he NEVER does, he refused a jump. It was with morbid amazement I saw this horses' full confidence in us and himself drop to nothing in just a few minutes. He became afraid to jump anything and we went back to getting over the crossrail and then trotting the vertical.

At this point I was getting flashbacks of the lack of confidence I dealt with in Piper as well as the sudden fear of another suspensory issue. This horse has been amazing, especially in his jumping, and I did not want to do something that would cause us to spend months trying to build his confidence back up. We were there to end the season on a learning experience so scratched before any real damage could be done.

So we loaded up and started off for home. The icing on the cake, damn truck shut off on me TWICE on our way home. :mad: Luckily we were going a back way so it wasn't a big deal and it started up right after. Stupid stupid truck can't behave itself. Luckily where I am boarding the BO's husband is a whiz with trucks so she is going to have him take a look and give me his thoughts.

I think, all in all, I am glad the season is just finally over for me and gives me some time to work on our homework and get some issues resolved. Hopefully we will come out swing in the spring and really be ready to compete. :D

My parents came out to watch and my dad became fixated on the custom boot maker that was there and convinced that I needed to go over there and order a pair. :lol: Very sweet of him but not really on my list of needs or desired. I did tell him if he wanted to buy me something a replacement truck and/or trailer is ALWAYS appreciated. :lol:

Again, thank you so much Dr. D on all your help, and I am so sorry for how today turned out for you. Definitely need to wrap up some $$ loose ends with you to compensate for your time yesterday. :yes:

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2006, 09:39 AM
Well, I finally made the decision this morning to scratch. :sigh: I just kept thinking about the Training xc course and the approaches to the jumps.... Tedi is *very* sensitive to how I feel, and I think I'd be nervous the entire way around the course and he'd know it; who knows how he'd respond....

Man, that was one tough decision to make! But at the end of the day, I would never have forgiven myself if I'd gone and either Tedi or I had gotten hurt. As much as I wanted to go, it just wasn't worth it. :no:

Ah well, there's always next year. :D

bambam
Nov. 12, 2006, 10:58 AM
Just got back from Rubicon and they are only running dressage today and the riders have the option of coming back and doing stadium and x-country on Tuesday (they have yet to decide whether they will run it as scored event on Tuesday). They thought up until the last minute they could still run x-country (TD told me they had put gravel down in front of almost all the jumps last night and thought they could do it) but man we got a lot of rain (and let me tell you the wind on top of it just made it miserable- of course now I am in the office and would probably be having more fun freezing my butt off and getting wet as a x-country judge even though I am dry :) )

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 12, 2006, 11:54 AM
Yes, I actually talked to bambam briefly in the volunteer's tent after they had "dismissed" us for the day...I too had been looking forward to jump judging (and expecting to see some scary stuff--but hoping I wouldn't see anyone get hurt!), but am glad that they opted for cancellation--there was standing water *everywhere*, and the Training horses were slipping in dressage warmup (which is on higher ground than the X-country, obviously...)
It also "validated" my decision to scratch (and my one student who was there volunteering also was glad not to have to ride under those conditions!)

Too bad, what with all the preparation by *everyone*, competitors *and* organizers...:sigh: And it's SUCH a great venue...I think there was dissapointment all around. (At least they got to run two divisions!)

At least there is the schooling day on Saturday, which is a nice consolation!
I'll be interested to hear whether they opt to run the jumping phases on Tuesday after all--this damned rain is supposed to *continue* overnight into tomorrow! :-(

So don't feel bad, Invested! And as you say, there's always next year.

We should start a new thread: Who's going to Rubicon's schooling day? :)

I know bambam will be there with "HRH", and I will be there with the Princess...

(And I get to spend a rare Sunday at home with the family, who *never* see me on weekends! A good day to sit on the couch, eat popcorn, drink a beer, and watch the Redskins play, or--if Philly is kicking their sorry butts--play Equestriad with my daughter...;))

Edited to add:

You are most welcome, Pied Piper, and I think you made the *absolute* right decision for your boy re: the jumping phases! He's still green, and he has a great future; you're wise to be careful and prudent with him, and take your time so that he comes along right--trying to make sure he has positive, confidence-building experiences O/F is just "good training"..:)

(He looked great in the dressage, BTW--he's really coming into his own! I was especially impressed by how quickly he "recovered" from having a loose horse run wildly into the adjacent ring mere minutes before his test; what a good boy! :D I would be interested to hear what the judge had to say about him...)

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2006, 06:32 PM
It'd be great if they just rescheduled the event to next weekend.... :winkgrin:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 12, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yes, wouldn't it?? I don't think that's feasible, though, since there are now a certain percentage of the T Division riders who have already had their dressage tests judged--others that haven't...

I'm thinking that they will probably just opt to cancel :sigh: Which sucks, but look at what happened at Waredaca; sometimes there's nothing they can do!

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, check your email!

Just got a note from Rubicon saying that they're considering doing a CT (stadium and xc) either next Friday or Sunday, and are asking for opinions.

PiedPiper
Nov. 12, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hey guys, check your email!

Just got a note from Rubicon saying that they're considering doing a CT (stadium and xc) either next Friday or Sunday, and are asking for opinions.

Can I say how much I love Rubicon! My hubby was commenting on Saturday how it is his favorite HT that we have gone to.

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2006, 07:31 PM
Can I say how much I love Rubicon! My hubby was commenting on Saturday how it is his favorite HT that we have gone to.

Agreed!! In fact, when I wrote them back, I thanked them for all their hard work and trying to please everyone and told them they were known for things like that. :D

Janet
Nov. 12, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ahh yes, the already soft ground did us in. I am going to kill my farrier since he has YET to get the stud holes correct with our glue ons! So once again we had glue in the stud holes and I could not stud up which ended up being our downfall. Grrr, he is getting a call today about this! I am SICK of this problem! Tap the holes right after the blacksmith has finished. With luck the tap will cut the glue out before it is completely cured. Worst case, at least you can get him back to fix it before the event.

Robby Johnson
Nov. 12, 2006, 11:06 PM
But have studs in glue-on shoes proven to be effective? I would worry you'd be tossing shoes like hot-cakes.

I do know some "news" on one special Rubicon entry ...

Robby

bambam
Nov. 12, 2006, 11:28 PM
I had studs with glue ons and, yes she pulled them, but that is her special talent and was never related to when I had studs in :) .
I think that it is awesome that Rubicon is going above and beyond and trying to do something this week. They are one of my favorite venues.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 13, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hmm, since I scratched on Saturday night, is that the reason I didn't get a note?? :p

It sounds like they are certainly trying to accomodate people, which is great--one of the reasons why their event is so popular! :)

PiedPiper
Nov. 13, 2006, 07:50 AM
But have studs in glue-on shoes proven to be effective? I would worry you'd be tossing shoes like hot-cakes.

Robby

Once I can get them in I haven't had a problem with them. ;) I do know of a few upper level eventers that have had them and don't recall a problem with pulled shoes. The eventers I know are done by the same group as mine so not sure if they are doing it a certain way but haven't heard it to be a problem.

And I do want to say until the last few months I haven't had a problem with stud holes being put in and not being able to use them. They are packed after drilling and then put on and until now have been usuable right away. I do agree that checking them immediately is now going to be par for the course for me (thanks for the suggestion Janet!) but I naively thought it was okay since the farrier and I discussed the previous problem at this most recent visit.

But anyway, water under the bridge.

I hope y'all get that CT! Does anyone know anythng else about the schooling day on Tues? Wonder if they are going to hold it with everything so waterlogged.

Janet
Nov. 13, 2006, 08:22 AM

Robby Tell! Tell!

Robby Johnson
Nov. 13, 2006, 08:34 AM
When I landed in Houston Saturday and turned on my phone there was a text message and two voicemails ... seems Tiamo won his ON division at Rubicon, scoring 25.5 in the dressage and adding one time penalty in the show-jumping!

Sometimes this is like living in a fairy tale!

Well done Allison Springer, Kaiti Saunders and Tiamo! I am so proud of you!

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 13, 2006, 09:51 AM
That's wonderful news!

Eric and Rubicon really try to take care of everyone. I was thrilled to still get the pass for the volunteer schooling day even though we were sent back home. My husband was surprised to see me back so soon.

Catalina
Nov. 13, 2006, 09:53 AM
Robby, I saw Tiamo's stadium round and it was beautiful :D. He jumps everything so effortlessly.

That is a bummer that Sunday got cancelled. So much for the 30% chance of rain that Weather.com was calling for.

PiedPiper: I was standing on the hill with Jumper63 when we saw the loose horse run in and halt and salute at G :lol:. Just curious, what would they do if you had started your test and that occurred?

I got to catch up with BStreetTango and FrittSkritt (who very kindly allowed me to go later in the jump order while I waited for my trainer :)) and Jumper63 pointed out DrDoolittle, who was watching PiedPiper's dressage, but I had to walk XC and I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

Ty and I had our best dressage ever by far with a 30.5 :D, but then we had a rail in stadium and a slam on the brakes and skid through the mud down the hill before the ditch. He hit the brakes hard because he was so startled by the footing and the terrain (hill, muddy boggy culvert then a ditch). I swear that I heard people laughing as Ty's eyes were bugging out of his head as we careened down the hill. We got reorganized and made it over the ditch but he jumped it so huge that we had no chance to make it over the B coop. He jumped everything else fine and overall I was quite pleased. I really love Rubicon.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
I got to pat the famous Tiamo on the nose in the stadium warmup area. He looks just like his mommy! What a sweetie pie!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 13, 2006, 10:50 AM
Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet you, Catalina! (Next year, I'm sure...:))
Good job in the dressage ;) As for the ditch complex, when I was re-walking the course on Sat. with a student, we stopped to watch several horses go over the ditch/half coffin, and *most* of them were finding footing on either side of the ditch quite slick--there were some "launcheroos", and some "interesting looks" on the faces of the horses as they tried to get their feet under them on takeoff and landing--so you were not alone!

Considering that the accursed rain not only fell all day yesterday, but *continued* through this morning, I feel rather dubious about the footing for tomorrow's schooling day...:sigh: And then for those of us planning to school on Saturday, there is YET ANOTHER front coming through on Thursday which is supposed to drop substantial rain on an already waterlogged Northern VA...
Argh!!! How frustrating...:sigh:

That's *great* that Ti Amo did so well on Saturday--all we COTHers have been following his progress since birth--it's all very exciting! :D We want pix!!

CamsMom
Nov. 13, 2006, 10:55 AM
My daughter was one of the ones rained out yesterday. The last e-mail I have received said no schooling on Tuesday and they are going to try and reschedule Training and BN for either Thursday or Sunday.

BTW, I was the crazy woman driving around the XC course picking up the score sheets on Saturday, wishing I had eyes in the back of my head and trying not to get run over!

Invested1
Nov. 13, 2006, 10:57 AM
My daughter was one of the ones rained out yesterday. The last e-mail I have received said no schooling on Tuesday and they are going to try and reschedule Training and BN for either Thursday or Sunday.

My email said "The dates being considered are Friday, November 17th and Sunday, November 19th. Given the weather forecasts, Sunday looks to be the better choice as it appears we will continue to get rain off and on through the week."

Hope we can do this!!!!!

tannaman
Nov. 13, 2006, 11:25 AM
area politics may run interference on any rescheduling. if waredaca wasn't allowed to reschedule then rubicon probably won't either. every event that has been told no to rescheduling in the past will be up in arms. if they do reschedule then they should also offer the novice champs that were cancelled from waredaca, but i believe the rubicon novice was easier than the planned novice champ course at waredaca.

its easier if it just doesn't rain. indoor cross country anyone?

so YOU were the hottie riding around on saturday afternoon in the parking lot ;)

CamsMom
Nov. 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
my understanding is that they will only be running stadium and cross country as a schooling only and it will be on a first come/first served basis.

bambam
Nov. 13, 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think there is any reason Rubicon cannot run whatever it wants as a CT or unrecognized (which is what they would be doing).
And novice ran this weekend so no rerunning of the novice champs anyway (separate any apart from the whole, have to bid for the champs, etc and I cannot imagine someone else can just run it even if they wanted to try to run a whole new event with a week of planning).

GotSpots
Nov. 13, 2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks Robby (and others) - we were thrilled with him. He's just a lovely pony and very brave, even if he's been feeling a little adolescent lately! Allison rides him beautifully, and he loped around the course confidently and calmly. He was Very Proud of Himself afterwards.

Cheers to Rubicon for trying so hard for everyone - they obviously don't have to do anything, and trying to open up for a schooling show next weekend is a really nice gesture to the community. Eric and Sheryl are a class act, all around.

colliemom
Nov. 13, 2006, 03:36 PM
Can someone tell me which levels were able to complete all three phases and which were cancelled?

I am trying to finalize the Year End awards this week, and there were so many people entered that eight of the divisions were likely to changed based on Rubicon. If I know for sure some were cancelled, I can finalize those.

Thanks for any solid info!!

tannaman
Nov. 13, 2006, 03:48 PM
yes they can do anything they want unrecognized, but we have seen that become a problem too, ask Janet. the year is done regardless, now only the last full moon farm event and a hunterpace till winter settles in. hohum-i was just getting warmed up this fall.

Invested1
Nov. 13, 2006, 04:02 PM
Can someone tell me which levels were able to complete all three phases and which were cancelled?

I am trying to finalize the Year End awards this week, and there were so many people entered that eight of the divisions were likely to changed based on Rubicon. If I know for sure some were cancelled, I can finalize those.

Thanks for any solid info!!

Prelim and Novice went, Training and BN were canx.

AshKnoll
Nov. 13, 2006, 06:57 PM
That would be great if they try and reschedule something for the T and BN divisions, for this weekend, I was hoping Waredaca was going to do that after they canceled but alas. If they reschedule to Sunday maybe I will volunteer to go out and jump judge.

As for my mare and I, we had an up and down day on Saturday. I thought our dressage was horrible, she was pulling on me like a freight train, and half halts weren't enough to fix it. Some of the movements weren't too bad, but all of our transitions were very abrupt and rough. Then we went on to stadium, where she was very good, had a clean round, and told me that she can jump from any spot at any speed and doesn't need my help at all. ;)

On to cross-country I was one of the last riders to go of the day, so the footing was pretty chopped up, but I was trying to go a decent/safe pace since the speed was fast for the novice level. We had an incident in the woods after fence 3 where I almost fell off because she spooked at a generator, but after that she was going along very nicely. A little hesitant at the bank, but a crop behind the leg did the trick. Then onto the lovely ditch combo. We got over the boggy part before it fine, probably because it is a lot like the field I ride in everyday. Then for some dumb reason I dropped my eyes at the ditch, stupid I know. So, of the course the mare went, hey what are we looking at? Needless to say, we slowed to almost a stop, stuttered around for awhile, and then took it from a stand still, and took the coop out with no problems. We finished the rest of the course nicely, and ended up 4 seconds over time, not too bad, but I was wondering if the incident at the ditch would be called a refusal.

Well luckily I get down to the scoring area and see my dressage score is a 38.4, putting us in 9th after dressage which completely shocked me; I was thinking it would definitely be above 40. I got my test and saw my mare got two 8's, her first 8's ever, and one of them was for her gaits, not too bad for us. Then once all the scoring was up, I saw that they didn't count the ditch incident as a refusal, and ended up in 3rd!!!

I was very excited, still am, we went to 9 events this year in BN and N, and this was the first time she placed in the top 3. Needless to say I was very happy with my mare, and glad that we had a good confidence building experience to end the season, now if only I remember to keep my eyes up at all ditches. :)

Btw, Gary Knoll got this nice picture of her going cross-country. Not that we need anymore pictures of her from this year, but I just may have to get it. ;)

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00QZ110001&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0&nphoto=308E00QZ110002

P.S. Does anyone know if Rubicon posts their results on their websites?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 13, 2006, 08:56 PM
Great job, Jumper63--really, your mare is phenomenal! :D

(BTW, I *love* your tag line...:p)

OneDaySoon
Nov. 13, 2006, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know how Allison did on Folk Lore at Prelim? Folk Lore is my boy's half-brother, Fly Me Home, and at same age, so I'd like to see if he is continuing his rise to fame from YEH:yes: . You know, success through affiliation/relation/location...I'll take anything I can get!!! ;) !!! We missed the N-CH at Waredace too because of the weather - such as shame.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
Jumper63 - I *may* have chatted with your mom in the warmup, I sort of recognize your horse... was your mom even there? :winkgrin:

GotSpots
Nov. 14, 2006, 11:42 AM
ODS - Folk Lore was 7th in the OP. Given the footing was a little slick and since he's for sale, Allison did not push him, but he cantered around the XC beautifully and confidently. We've very pleased with his whole year: he's just been lovely and is clearly demonstrating that this is very easy for him. We've really liked having the two Feiner Stern babies in the barn (Folk Lore and his half sister), though we were surprised how big Folk Lore has become, given that he's out of a TB mare. Good luck with your FS youngster!

AshKnoll
Nov. 14, 2006, 06:46 PM
Jumper63 - I *may* have chatted with your mom in the warmup, I sort of recognize your horse... was your mom even there? :winkgrin:

Yep, my mom was there, I was one of the last rides to go of the day, around 2:30 ish, and she would have been standing outside of the warmup area watching me.

Dr. Doolittle I sent you a PM.

Invested1
Nov. 14, 2006, 10:11 PM
Looks like the Sunday CT for Training/BN is a go!!! Who's going?!?!?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 15, 2006, 12:25 AM
What will the format be? Will you all have times, or is it just schooling? (Or something like what Elysian had in the summer?)

Obviously I didn't get the e-mail, since I scratched--but we will all be going to the schooling day on Saturday with our volunteer passes--at least it's some sort of a consolation! What with the ground still being *very* wet--and more rain on the way! :mad:, we will have to be pretty conservative with what we jump...I hope they don't cancel the schooling day! (They could re-schedule it, I suppose--especially since if they are having an informal CT the next day; they will have to worry about the footing being trashed by the Saturday riders...:sigh: Damned rain!)

PiedPiper
Nov. 15, 2006, 07:30 AM
Dr.D

You are going on Sat? What time? Mind if you get another hanger on? :D

Invested1
Nov. 15, 2006, 10:19 AM
What will the format be? Will you all have times, or is it just schooling? (Or something like what Elysian had in the summer?)

Training will go between 9-1. Basically when you're ready, you get in line for stadium. When you're done with stadium, you head to xc. They said some of xc will be on the honor system in terms of refusals since there won't be jump judges everywhere.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 15, 2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks Invested--I had *yet more nightmares* about the soggy footing and unrelenting rain last night! :sigh: Arrggghhh!!

PP--this Saturday is just for volunteers...I think?? I have one extra volunteer schooling pass (courtesy of FrittSkritt--thanks Fritt! :D), but Erin will be using it...

Are they opening it up for general schooling, since they cancelled yesterday's schooling day?? If so, of course, you are more than welcome to "ride in"! :)

mythical84
Nov. 15, 2006, 10:48 AM
I *think* I'll be going schooling Saturday morning ... granted that the soundness gods are with me. I'm hoping they don't cancel b/c I'd really like Harry to do some of the bigger stuff before the winter sets in. But if they do cancel I completely understand ... priority should be given to the riders on Sunday.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 15, 2006, 10:54 AM
J63- wow, what a coincidence! She whistled to you to go down to stadium and mentioned to me that she "taught all her kids how to whistle." ;)

polo3day
Nov. 16, 2006, 12:28 PM
It is POURING here in Warrenton - I hope by some miracle the skies are shining over Rubicon... but I kind of doubt it! Fingers crossed for wind after the rain to help dry it out?

Invested1
Nov. 16, 2006, 03:13 PM
Yah, now I'm wondering if the ground this weekend will be any better than it was last Sunday?! :sigh:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 16, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking..."not"...? :sigh: :rolleyes:

I suspect we will probably receive some kind of e-mail missive from Sheryl by tomorrow--I would be very surprised if they went ahead with the schooling day on Saturday! The ground didn't have *any* time to absorb the rain from the last rain storm (which didn't end until late Monday!); and now there's 2+ MORE inches on top of that!

I wonder if they could (or would be willing to) honor the vouchers (and/or run a non-competitive CT) a few weeks down the road, when the ground dries out? It's tough what with T-Giving weekend coming up--and it's getting so late in the season anyway!

!@%$#&*! rain!

Invested1
Nov. 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Hard to say re: Sunday. I understand that stadium will likely be held in the ring (vs. on the grass). Wonder how xc will look..........

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 17, 2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the update, Invested...(In fact, if you would be so kind, maybe you could forward me the e-mails you're getting from Rubicon so that I can keep track of what's going on...you still have my e-mail addy :))

bambam
Nov. 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
Anybody know if they are still holding the schooling tomorrow (not sure if they would want to preserve the footing for Sunday)?
Anybody know how much rain they got out there?
I am still on the fence about whether I am going tomorrow or not since if it is going to be slop, it won;t be worth it.

yellowbritches
Nov. 17, 2006, 07:20 PM
We're just on the other side of Leesburg, and we are still really water logged. As far as I know, Eric and Sheryl haven't made a final decision, but I won't be surprised if they say never mind. I'm thinking, if they don't call it off tomorrow, that I may really piss of my student and say nope. Hacking our guys out today was sloppy, and we stuck to the easy, manicured high ground around the corn field.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 18, 2006, 12:46 AM
Hey guys--got an e-mail from Sheryl tonight--they are having "re-scheduled schooling days" next weekend (Sat. and Sun.) *and* the weekend after that! :D

She said it's still pretty much a slop pit out there, though they are still having volunteer's day tomorrow for those willing to "brave it"...

I have contacted my students, and will be going next weekend instead!

Thank goodness they're being so flexible!! (Bless them just in general, actually...:))

asterix
Nov. 18, 2006, 08:12 AM
Bless you for posting, Dr. D! We were all massing for an early morning assault but very unsure about whether it was worth it, ground-wise.
We shall see you out there next week, hopefully!

bambam
Nov. 18, 2006, 11:32 AM
Thank you Dr D- asterix called me this morning around 7 as I was getting ready to head out to the barn and said Dr D says they are having volunteer schooling days next weekend. We were on the fence anyway and that made the decision a no-brainer this morning. Thanks
I think it is fantastic that the Rubicon folks are beingso felxible

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
Indeed, you are most welcome! :)

(Since I posted so late last night, I was hoping that people would check the thread in the morning before heading out--and if I saved some people a trip out there, I'm very relieved! I'll be out there next Sunday with my students--hope to see some of you! :))

Invested1
Nov. 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the update, Invested...(In fact, if you would be so kind, maybe you could forward me the e-mails you're getting from Rubicon so that I can keep track of what's going on...you still have my e-mail addy :))

Hey, sorry Dr. D, I actually don't have the emails anymore! Some of the tidbits I get are from my trainer too vs. Rubicon. :winkgrin:

I'm still undecided about tomorrow. Maybe I'll call in the morning to try to find out *just how sloppy* it is...

Another consideration is that I'm kind of in pain. Long story short, I pulled a muscle in my back in August playing softball and pretty much ignored it--kept riding, kept cleaning my stall, kept playing softball, kept doing everything... Well, on Monday evening, I turned to shut my front door as I walked in from work and my entire back locked up. It was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life!! It was completely debilitating--I literally could not stand up and even had to call my neighbor and ask her to come put my groceries in my freezer because I couldn't move!! :eek: Doctor said it sounded like a muscle spasm--basically my back saying "Woman, I've had enough! I tried to tell you nicely...." Couldn't go to work the next day and I've been on 800mg Motrin and muscle relaxers since. I wake up stiff in the morning but by the end of the day having been moving around a lot, it loosens up.
SOOOO, I just remain undecided about tomorrow for more reasons than the weather.....
I just have *SUCH* a hard time letting $200 go down the toilet; especially at the end of the season. :lol: :lol:
Guess we'll see..... hopefully if anyone went out today they'll post about it....

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 18, 2006, 01:53 PM
My God, Invested! :eek: Ouch!!

I know exactly how you feel; as a result of falling off at Locust Hill's schooling day last April (The Princesss *very* uncharacteristically left a leg behind jumping a big Training Level house--barely made it over), and I fell on my left shoulder, straining my AC joint. Of course I didn't baby it or give it a chance to heal properly, kept doing what I was doing (sound familiar? :D), and wound up (even after acupuncture, chiropractic, NSAIDs, etc.) having *such* severe back spasms (felt like I was being stabbed in the back, completely debilitating), that I wound up on the floor, crying. And I'm pretty damn stoic! I re-habbed it furiously (Mr. Dr. D helped with massage, I used ice and heat packs, hot showers--when I could contort myself to get under the sprayer--muscle relaxants, etc.), and wound up doing a CT 4 days after the worst of the spasms hit. (And it was her first Training outing, and she won...of course I got through it with the help of some Hydrocodone...:lol:)

So I can't advise you, but I know it's best to *keep moving*--whether or not it's a good idea to ride X-country is another matter! Listen to your body the day of, and don't push it if you can't move your torso around without a spasm hitting--there may be some pain, but if you don't have mobility, that will be the most "telling reason" to sit it out...

(FWIW, my shoulder *still* bothers me--I can't move it in certain directions, and putting a saddle on anything over 15 hands hurts...of course I'm full of athritis too--in *both* shoulders--but what are ya gonna do? :sigh: You're still young, though, so maybe you should try to baby yourself a bit so that you *Will* still be able to function when your'e as old as I am...:p There's always next weekend to school.)

Invested1
Nov. 18, 2006, 07:37 PM
Dr. D, we are just too dang much alike!!! Probably why I like you so much. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yah, my back aches but isn't completely crippling like that one night. And just like you, I was near tears for hours!! Honestly, I have never felt something so painful! At one point, I actually started laughing--I was trying to roll up off the couch and my body simply *would not* do what I was telling it to! Oddest feeling....

So we'll just see tomorrow. I haven't ridden since it happened and I'm going to take all of next week off riding too--and I paid someone to do my stall for 2 weeks since I also learned the hard way that doing that right now isn't all that bright. :winkgrin:

I hate being so indecisive!! Suppose if I call Rubicon in the morning and they say it's still nasty out.....

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
:lol: Well thanks, Invested! :D

Yes, I think there's a common "thread of insanity" among many of we like-minded horse nut eventers...(God help us when we're *really* old--at our rate, we'll be so decrepid and arthritic by age 65 that we'll be racing our wheelchairs for entertainment! :p)

Youch, it sounds like you really did a number on yourself...if I were you, I would just play it by ear--do you do stadium first? If that's in the ring (and you're up to it), you can ride the course, and then re-evaluate afterward as to whether you feel like doing X-country. (And finding out how the footing is *beforehand* would certainly be useful!)

Speaking of which, did I manage to notify everyone (in the nick of time) who *had* planned to go to the schooling day, causing them to change their plans--and, as a result, there's no one left on the board who *did* wind up going today? (So who can then tell us what the conditions are like?? :p)

Invested1
Nov. 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
Heh, Dr. D, your post made me laugh out loud. The scary part? I can absolutely imagine a bunch of eventers I know racing around in wheelchairs!! :lol:

As for tomorrow, I think your idea is a good one. Stadium is first, so I'll do that and just see how it goes. Got email from my trainer that the footing out there was pretty good today so should be even better tomorrow!!!!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 19, 2006, 11:36 AM
Please let us know how it went today!

Elliot
Nov. 19, 2006, 05:04 PM
Whew, just got back from the 2-phase at Rubicon with my super greenie. It was fantastic, but I almost left after the show jumping warm-up.

They moved the show jumping into the all weather footing and it was perfect. But the warm-up was on slightly greasy grass, and my horse is such an airhead that he couldn't handle it. It was basically his first event and between the slightly slippery footing, dogs, other horses, etc. he was a total fruit loop in the warm-up. I got him over everything once and then decided I'd just take my chances in the ring.

Fortunately once we were on sand footing in an enclosed ring he settled right down and jumped around like a trooper. Went straight to cross-country, avoided all warm-up jumps and had a blast. The footing cross-country was superb, and for some reason he doesn't care about greasy grass out on course anyway. He jumped around like a star, didn't look at the ditch, water, banks, etc. and really had a good time galloping. So I'm glad I didn't go home afterall!

And major props to Sheryll, Eric and all the volunteers who came out again to make up for the cancelled event. Thank you!!!

Invested1
Nov. 19, 2006, 05:19 PM
So after all my contemplation, I didn't end up going today. Got out to the barn this morning and hooked up the trailer then peaked inside. Part of the floor was wet from all the rain. Ugh. I took a hoofpick to the wet spot and it actually sank in a little! :eek: Don't know if it's just because the floor was wet of if it's actually rotting. Sooooo, long story short, I decided I didn't want to use Tedi's body weight to determine if the floor needs to be replaced (:)) and instead spent the day driving down to Warrenton to drop off the trailer to be inspected.
Funny, I was telling my sister this and she asked, "Really, how many more signs do you need telling you that you are not supposed to go to this event?! In the past week, the event got rained out, Tedi pulled a shoe, you threw out your back and haven't ridden in a week and now you're worried that your trailer may be unsafe. For crying out loud, suck up the $200 AND DON'T GO!!!" :lol: :lol: She's right. :D

GotSpots
Nov. 19, 2006, 05:43 PM
We missed you out there - footing was great and it was a fun, no-pressure, canter-around-a-course way to end the season. They moved the first three fences into the main field, but otherwise, it was essentially the same course as was set last week and rode beautifully. A couple of folks had issues at the Training water, and I saw a few horses spook off of the BN fence on their way to the new "gargoyle" fence, but everything else looked to be lovely and fair. So nice of Rubicon to do this for everyone - and huge thanks to the volunteers who ran stadium (gorgeous sand ring), and stood outside and watched jumps or acted as starter on a somewhat chilly (but not unpleasant) day.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 19, 2006, 07:12 PM
Well crap, Invested! :sigh: (Just not your week, I guess...)

Are you planning to try to do one of the make-up schooling days?

Yes, *major* props--and big thanks!!--to Sheryl and Eric...they always do *so* much to accomodate competitors, and their facility is sublime...:)

It sounds like those who *did* go had a good time, and that the footing has recovered well! (We are supposed to have a dry week, for once :rolleyes:, so by the time we go next weekend, things should be nice and safe for our "league of barefoot mares" to gallop and jump; which is good, since I would like to try some more challenging stuff with all three of them! :D)

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 20, 2006, 08:21 AM
We went out Saturday to play and had a great time with Wings once we figured out Maddie wasn't just mad but had done something to her right hind. She was fine for walking around the cross country but stiffened up considerably standing so walk she did. She got a tab of bute back at the trailer and then again with her breakfast on Sunday, none in the evening and is much better today. I figure she wrenched something being wicked in her paddock. :rolleyes:

Wings was marvelous schooling in the stadium and on cross country. Houndsears started out on him and then switched horses on the backside with Trixie so that she could have fun as well. FrittSkritt kindly loaned Trixie her vest and I sent back banana pudding and Mr. Wings' barbecue to thank her for the loan. Trixie is all hunter princess and needy - I have photos to show her loving the Dark Side!

My husband and I went back Sunday to jump judge, he had the campground while I was up at the Grand Canyon and covering the stone table for Training. The take off for the coffin got a bit chewed up but no one had any real problems and there was only one who missed the "C" part of the combination and had to circle back around to pick it up. Everyone flew over the table in fine form.

Eric confirmed the volunteer schooling for both days this coming weekend as well as the next so we're aiming for the last one, hoping the weather is good and that we get a sunny day. Elghund says he may make it up to play so we're hoping to see him and Cactus Lil.

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 20, 2006, 09:38 AM
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=13832131&uid=3762429&members=1

Wings was such a good boy!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
Nice pix and lovely horse, Everythingbutwings! :)

How big is your boy?? He looks huge! (Makes the jumps look small...:p)

polo3day
Nov. 20, 2006, 11:29 AM
The footing was amazing - volunteers of course cheerful and wonderful. The course was beautiful and rode great. I only hit one greasy spot and otherwise, had a ball. I did have to get my truck and trailer pulled out but minor detail and I just hope we didn't mess up their fields TOO badly! Thank you Rubicon!!!

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 20, 2006, 12:48 PM
He looks bigger than he is, though, at 16.2 hands. We took him to a Tarsha Hammond clinic and Tarsha was suprised and thrilled that he's a thoroughbred.

He's very happy with his job, what ever we decide it is each week. :)

Oh, and he's barefoot, too! We've had him since he was foaled in '98 and he's never yet had shoes. He's got a set of Old Macs for gravel and trail riding and our fingers are crossed to keep him barefoot as long as we can. Saves a heck of a lot of money.

polo3day
Nov. 20, 2006, 01:10 PM
I saw a few photographers out there - anyone know who it was? I presume Gary? KNow when he'll be posting pics? Anyone know if/how/when they decided "placings" for what it's worth?

CamsMom
Nov. 20, 2006, 03:04 PM
I got an e-mail that they will not be pinning BN because they did not time XC and they had no jump judges. I was a XC judge for Training and I know they timed it so they should at least pin for that. My daughter is disappointed because she did well and felt that she would have placed.

GotSpots
Nov. 20, 2006, 03:53 PM
GRC was there. I didn't see Gary Knoll but he could have been there.

I received an email with my "personal" results, but which noted that they didn't do placings because XC was on the honor system. They did time (albeit generously). Given the number of clear SJ and clear XCs I saw, seems pretty hard to place it - I'm just chalking it up to having a fun morning.

polo3day
Nov. 20, 2006, 05:30 PM
Just curious what they would end up doing with those neat-o jackets I heard you talking about, GotSpots. Yea yeah fun morning for sure! Now I want to go back and jump the prelim jumps - you guys doing a schooling one of the next two weekends?

Everythingbutwings
Nov. 21, 2006, 07:54 AM
According to the weather report, we're in for a drenching this Thurs/Friday. I'm hoping it's nicer the following weekend for us to go play.