PDA

View Full Version : Waredaca

PnkPanthr
Oct. 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
who is going to waredaca next weekend? and has anyone ridden waredacas novice course? ill be there for championships.(our first championships:D ) cant wait

tannaman
Oct. 22, 2006, 03:57 PM
the novice course is incredibly hard, maybe you might want to reconsider ;) riding n-ch as well.

PiedPiper
Oct. 22, 2006, 04:49 PM
Aw crap I didnt realize that Waredaca is the Novice championship. :eek: Aw crap, well it is our move up. :eek: Apparently I am not long for this world so it has been nice knowing all of you.;)

Well if someone sees a dark bay, with a little white star, coming running back riderless that would be us. If I don't make it I would like to put down in writing that Dr. D gets my boy and my hubby will have to continue to suffer with my old one. :winkgrin:

Janet
Oct. 22, 2006, 08:36 PM
Usually the championship course is different from the regular course.

PiedPiper
Oct. 22, 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh thanks goodness, I guess I will keep my boy. :lol:

tannaman
Oct. 22, 2006, 09:06 PM
they are also having non-ch divisions and I doubt they are having separate courses for both novices. they may have a question or two different if they do. in the past years the area champs is no different than the horse trial courses you ride all year. now the AEC was a different matter.

witchy_brown
Oct. 22, 2006, 09:37 PM
any opinions on the prelim?

Hard/Average/Good Move-up?

Janet
Oct. 22, 2006, 10:58 PM
they are also having non-ch divisions and I doubt they are having separate courses for both novices. they may have a question or two different if they do. in the past years the area champs is no different than the horse trial courses you ride all year. now the AEC was a different matter.
Last year, the Tr championship course had about 6 fences different from the non-championship course.

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 22, 2006, 11:57 PM
Pied Piper...:lol: :lol:

Try to relax...you'lle be fine! :p

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 23, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'll be there starting on Wed for the training 3-day. Should be fun.

Catalina
Oct. 23, 2006, 08:43 AM
I'll be there in NR trying not to get eliminated again at the water.

What is the Novice water like? Ty wanted no part of the BN water in June :mad:. We are going to Gordonsdale today to work on our issues with the wet stuff.

asterix
Oct. 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
Courses are shaping up!!! Of course, boarding there turns out not to be as helpful as you'd think in the run-up to the event. Mostly, this is what happens...

1. (horse) OHMYGOD WHATISTHAT ITWASNT THERE YESTERDAY AIAEIEIEIEI.
(instilling great confidence in me as he scoots away from the new portable in his own field)

2.(me) OHMYGOD WHATISTHAT THATCANTBETRAINING EIEIEIEIE.
(usually, the offending object turns out to be on the Intermediate course, but I will have worked myself into a frenzy about it for 3 days before figuring that out).

What I CAN tell you so far...
Waters -- the water will be similar to what you saw at BN last time, but with either a bank after or a log just before (or possibly both -- it's very hard to tell right now as they are still moving things around and there are so many courses/options being built).

And...I just discovered this weekend that there are 2 new trakheners on course! They must have built them in the middle of the night, but there they are. Novice and Training -- both good sized and airy for the level, with real (but small) ditches, plain earth (that is, not lined with wood, more scooped out of the ground, with a ground line on the front edge). Approaches are on rising ground, jumps themselves are on level ground.

The bullfinch from last year's T3d has reappeared, but it is attached to the perpendicular face of the bank/drop complex -- that is, if last year you jumped up, across, and down over the bullfinch, this year you come up the ramp at right angles to that line, and then off and down the bullfinch. The drop itself is therefore bigger, but there is no preceding bank up.
Too soon to tell whether this will be packaged as an option for regular T, or what (depending on the rest of the track, you could possibly offer up-across-down vs. ramp up/offbullfinch).

More tonight after I ride! :D

nowoncourse
Oct. 23, 2006, 10:01 AM
Ok I know this will sound odd but YEAH for the N and T trakheners! They are popping up at shows all over this area so as a Waredaca boarder I love the addition! Great for schooling after the events!

And they are running different courses for N and N Champ though they will share several fences and run along the same track. Obviously the Champ course will be more difficult with an option or two and more combinations.

I love this time of year when everything is getting set up!

Now if we only had enough volunteers for Sat.... hint hint.

Firefox
Oct. 23, 2006, 10:27 AM
I am doing the NCH with Lee, going up on Tuesday and volunteering at the T3D and then competing on Sat, full week!!

Janet
Oct. 23, 2006, 11:13 AM
Ok I know this will sound odd but YEAH for the N and T trakheners! They are popping up at shows all over this area so as a Waredaca boarder I love the addition! Great for schooling after the events! There was a Trakehner on last fall's Tr Ch course. But you are saying New ones?

Lori B
Oct. 23, 2006, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a challenging course, well over my head. I'll be grooming for my trainer and the rest of the folks from my barn. Will be taking pictures when I'm not tacking and untacking horses. Hope to see as many of you as I can while there.

blaster
Oct. 23, 2006, 12:21 PM
There was a Trakehner on last fall's Tr Ch course. But you are saying New ones?

Yepper, brand spanking new ones.....

BTW, I thought the T3DE and the championship shared the same XC course. I don't recall a true trakenher last year on the t3de course.

Janet
Oct. 23, 2006, 12:35 PM
Yepper, brand spanking new ones.....

BTW, I thought the T3DE and the championship shared the same XC course. I don't recall a true trakenher last year on the t3de course.
Nope, not quite the same course. The Trakehner we jumped on the Training Championship course last fall was on the Prelim course this spring. Regular Training (I don't know about the TDE since the flags were down by then) just jumped the ditch.

tannaman
Oct. 23, 2006, 01:33 PM
gordonsdale water is pretty typical of what is out there, but i would also suggest doing frying pan park and elysian hills so you get a chance to school some more trappy or enveloped type waters. the same i suggest for trakehners.

i love when novice & training have options and combinations. the august horse trial at waredaca was pretty straight forward. i think the big issue then was the 'new' drop built like an irish bank on top of the groundline of the terrain.

kiwifruit
Oct. 23, 2006, 08:02 PM
Do they use that trakhener to the left that is down in a natural valley next to the ditch for the T3D?I thought that was an intermediate or prelim trakhener? Where are the new trakheners situated?

witchy_brown
Oct. 23, 2006, 08:32 PM
Anyone know the major elements on the prelim course? Specifically ditch-related? I am guessing they will use one of the big trekheners in the middle field, but what about coffins? I dont remember any open ditches while schooling there last year...

This will be our first prelim and I am freaking out!!!!

OneDaySoon
Oct. 23, 2006, 10:08 PM
The new bank and ditch at N level in August came as a bit of a surprise :eek: to my young boy who doesn't usually blink an eye on XC, but they were fair questions and we made it through fine in huge downpour. I am guessing trakehner is over the new ditch/coffin in back field. Should ride well. Waving potted grasses in front of jumps in SJ was a completely different matter! :cry:

carlyanne
Oct. 24, 2006, 08:32 AM
Witchy Brown.

Usually the Prelim there is very fair for the level. It's not necessarily a move up course in the sense of ease, but a good solid Prelim with fair questions. This will be my first time Prelim as well on this horse, (Rode Prelim 7 years ago as a young rider and not again since, so it may as well by my first one too!), so I'm right there with you! We can commiserate together!

Good luck to you, I will probably be in your division if you entered PR...

kiwifruit
Oct. 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
Hey Asterix

Any comments on the T3D course? Anything interesting or out of the box? Especially any coffin/bank/trakeners/ditch stuff that may be interesting? Is it too late to scratch :)

asterix
Oct. 24, 2006, 11:10 PM
It's still being flagged, but the steeplechase course is up and looks great!

PLEASE NOTE if you are driving in, take a careful look at instructions on the website for parking. If you are driving north on Damascus Road (650), you want the second entrance to Waredaca -- the first one should have a sign in the driveway that says Waredaca Parking ---->>
Keep going to the NEXT driveway, which is right before a big curve in the road. This driveway has stone walls on either side and a sign for the Carol Jean Cancer Foundation. If you turn here, you can drive straight up the driveway to the 3 day stabling area, which will be on your right after a long line of trees (after you pass 2 houses).

If you come up the FIRST driveway, you will hit a T in the road (after 2 wicked speed bumps -- be careful!). Turn left at this T, and go until you T again. Turn right. This will put you on the correct driveway.

I've already had to divert several trailers that came in the wrong way!!

Catalina
Oct. 25, 2006, 10:09 AM
Are times up yet? I can't seem to find them if they are :o.

mythical84
Oct. 25, 2006, 10:38 AM
Nope, not yet. I'm sure they'll be up later today.

PiedPiper
Oct. 25, 2006, 08:51 PM
http://www.waredaca.com/competitions/2006/oct06ridetimes.shtml

Times are up! Definitely not an early morning for me. :)

asterix
Oct. 26, 2006, 07:24 AM
OK, the directions I wrote the other day are for 3 day competitors only! Sorry-- one too many trailers coming in in the dark to be redirected...
for the horse trials, it is AS USUAL the first entrance to the first pasture, after Howard Chapel Road (if coming N on 650).

retreadeventer
Oct. 26, 2006, 08:36 AM
Area II Adult Riders
TRAINING THREE DAY EVENT
Oct. 25-28, 2006 - At Waredaca Farm, Laytonsville, MD

October 25, 2006 - Wednesday
For Immediate Release
The Half Star Begins
Laytonsville, MD.

Today the Training Three Day begins with First Horse Inspection, demonstrations and expert coaching by USET riders and advanced competitors. Dressage will be featured tomorrow, Thursday, along with cross country course walks with the experts and other demonstrations. Friday is Endurance Day, with Stadium scheduled for Saturday morning. Schedule is subject to change.

Entries number 64 to date.

Training Three Day Entry facts:
Entered are 9 men, 54 women
Average age of the women, 26, average age of the men, 47.5
Co-Youngest competitor, Amy Mullen, 13 and oldest competitor, Kevin Fidgeon, 62 are both from Maryland's eastern shore, other 13-year-old competitor, Molly Connell, from nearby Darlington, MD.
Number of competitors and state of residence:
Maryland, 19
Virginia, 11
New Jersey, 6
Connecticut, 5
Massachusetts, 5
Pennsylvania, 4
North Carolina, 3
New Hampshire, 3
New York, 2
Vermont, 1
Colorado, 1
Ontario, Canada, 1
Teenagers outnumber the babyboomers -- 29 riders under 20 and 18 riders over 40.
USEA Areas I (14 riders) , II (47 riders) and IX (1 rider) represented.

International facts: Annie McCaughey came from Canada...Kelly Morani is the daughter of Kim Meier who competed at Burghley...Exodus is an international level horse who competed at Blenheim...Gillian Clissold is a British citizen and active Advanced competitor....What The Heck and Fibber Magee both competed at Bromont CCI...Six horses were imported from Ireland...two horses were imported from New Zealand...the rest from the United States. The oldest horse competing is Exodus, age 19, ridden by the youngest competitor, age 13.
The youngest horses competing at age 5, are Moonlight Rock n Roll, Fernhill Sylvus and Hidden Victory.
The horse and rider combination that are the same age: Alissa Hayward and Cardinal Cross, both 18 years old.

witchy_brown
Oct. 26, 2006, 08:18 PM
Anyone farmiliar with going from Kennett, PA to Waredaca? Mapquest is telling me 2:06, but for some reason I remember it being closer to 3 hours.

We'll be traveling around 5 am, so no traffic to worry about. ;)
Anyone know?

AshKnoll
Oct. 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.waredaca.com/competitions/2006/oct06ridetimes.shtml

Times are up! Definitely not an early morning for me. :)

Me either, with my dressage being at 1:50 pm. Anyone else going to be in one of the later Novice Divisions, I am in NR-B?

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 26, 2006, 08:55 PM
Haha, that's funny, my horse has competed at Bromont and he is stabled across from Fibber McGee. Maybe they can share stories!

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 26, 2006, 09:01 PM
Anyone farmiliar with going from Kennett, PA to Waredaca? Mapquest is telling me 2:06, but for some reason I remember it being closer to 3 hours.

We'll be traveling around 5 am, so no traffic to worry about. ;)
Anyone know?

Yeah...I'm coming down from West Grove. I think it takes about 2-2.5 hours. Map quest sends you straight through Baltimore and the tunnel but a friend measured it and that saves you a whopping one mile....so I usually do 95S to 695 (the first time you hit 695) toward Towson to 70

Galileo1998
Oct. 26, 2006, 09:05 PM
Just one small correction - Annie McCaughey's horse is from Canada too, not a US bred. She is a 14.3hh Welsh Cob x T'bred that was born and raised here in Ontario. Annie has owned her since she was a yearling - and I named her - "The Hony" :)

ngthorse
Oct. 26, 2006, 09:37 PM
For those of you traveling down from PA and other points north - if the mapping program is sending you through one of the tunnels, don't believe it - a better route (and it avoids the toll at the tunnel :lol: ) is to take 695 toward Towson - follow the beltway around to Route 70 West toward Frederick- take exit 76, Route 97 and go south toward Olney, about 8 miles, turn right onto Rt 650, Damascus Road - go about 1 mile and the farm is on the right.

FWIW, we board at a farm that is about 15 minutes from Waredaca and it took us two hours to drive up to Dressage at Devon this year (OK, that was the drive home, we got caught in DE traffic on the way up :) )

Good luck everyone!

retreadeventer
Oct. 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Results so far after dressage:
A division, Lindsay Berreth is leading with 29.5 on What The Heck
2nd Twister VI Cody Armstrong 31.4
3rd Fernhill Sylvus, Kriseen Wesoly 34.3
B Division, Remember Me, Laur MacNamara 31.9
2nd, In Sync, Barbara Miller
3rd, Kiwi, Sandra Waltz, 35
C Division, Fibber Magee, Brooke Harlow, 27.4k
2nd Ballintaggart F Star, Lauren Marfurt 30
3rd Pal Joey Carrington Giamittorio 30.3
D division, Walk on the Moon, Max Corcoran 31.1
2nd The Hony, Annie MacCaughey 33.4
3rd; Personal Boy, Scott Nickel 35.8 - T
3rd; Salire, Gillian Clissold, 35.8 -T
apologies for mispel I am on laptop which I can't reach the keys...this is only dressage, Endurance tomorrow! Good luck!

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
For those of you traveling down from PA and other points north - if the mapping program is sending you through one of the tunnels, don't believe it - a better route (and it avoids the toll at the tunnel :lol: ) is to take 695 toward Towson - follow the beltway around to Route 70 West toward Frederick- take exit 76, Route 97 and go south toward Olney, about 8 miles, turn right onto Rt 650, Damascus Road - go about 1 mile and the farm is on the right.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks...I left off the 70 west on my earlier post that is the way I go (get off 95 earlier and take 695 to 70). Map quest sends you further down 95 and through the tunnel and then just a short stint on 695---it really is only a mile shorter and a PITA of traffic and tolls with a trailer. Someone really should come up with a "mapping" program that does the best route when pulling a trailer.

Good luck everyone! I be with you on the road early on Sunday (and not so early on Sat).

nowoncourse
Oct. 27, 2006, 08:34 AM
Just an update about the courses (from a Waredaca boarder)....

This time all levels except for Inter (and maybe P) are staying in the hay field and lake field.

The new trakeners are located near the woods in the hay field (sort of between the big trakeners and the run-in shed along the treeline.

There should be a full coffin the P course and at least a half one on the T course.

The N Champ course is using the terrain very well with turning tables (bigger then the little bunkers) at the crest of the big hill, some fences at the bottom of some steep hills, etc. And the water has a related question as well (wasn't flagged yet but looks like a log out).

And for the record (as being someone who helped make the course maps last year) there was no trakener on the T3Day or Champ course last year. They both jumped the open ditch next to the P trakener and then jumped up and over the bank.

VAevent
Oct. 27, 2006, 08:38 AM
If it pours overnight, which is one prediction, does anyone know how well the Waredaca facility drains? And I seem to remember horror stories about rigs getting bogged down in the parking area. Maybe we won't get that much rain...only wind.

mythical84
Oct. 27, 2006, 09:26 AM
Haha ... it never fails to pour for at least 1 of the Waredaca HT. Luckily Waredaca has what we call "old established turf" so you won't have a problem on XC, it holds up quite well. I think last year was the first year that we ever canceled XC and I think that was do to extreme conditions.

Dressage might get a little yucky but I wouldn't put it pass them to move the rings mid-day, but last year they moved them Saturday night. And stadium is in the nice new arena that holds up very well in the rain, and while warm-up can get a little mucky they'll probably move the jumps around throughout the day.

As for parking ... I remember one year in the Equiery end of year wrap up them writing:
Best event parking when it's dry: Waredaca
Worst even parking when it's wet: Waredaca

If it gets bad they'll have tractors by the gates to help pull you in/out. :)

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2006, 09:27 AM
Me either, with my dressage being at 1:50 pm. Anyone else going to be in one of the later Novice Divisions, I am in NR-B? I am in NR-C (dressage is at 1:14 pm). I'll keep an eye out for you :).

PiedPiper
Oct. 27, 2006, 11:54 AM
Jumper63

We will be competing against each other, I am on Bonnaroo. :D

I can't wait for the high wind that is being called for later in the day either. This is going to be an event to remember I think. :lol:

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2006, 01:49 PM
High winds? Can't wait to see those dressage scores :lol:. Fun times ahead for us :eek:.

Lori B
Oct. 27, 2006, 01:50 PM
I'm bringing extra boots and extra dry socks. Ugh. I keep looking out the window and wishing it would do all the raining today.

mythical84
Oct. 27, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'm glad that it's not raining on the T3D people, but I'm seriously not looking forward to collecting scores in the gator in the rain tomorrow morning. Nothing is more miserable than that. But I heard that it will be in the 60s by mid-day, so here's hoping for a sunny rest of the weekend!

Lori B
Oct. 27, 2006, 02:35 PM
Sorry, don't mean to wish misfortune on others. I just remember the last event I worked at where it rained. My feet were pruny for days. Ewww.

OneDaySoon
Oct. 27, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have cancelled my entry in N-Ch - was scheduled for dressage around 8 am with XC around 4 pm or so. Hopefully someone can use my slot (Janice Gill on Fly Me Home). Seemed like a really long day in wet and windy conditions :cry: . Good luck everyone.

Janet
Oct. 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
I go SUnday, and hopefully it will have cleared up by them.

But I am planning to drive up on Saturday to walk the course, and see Gillian do her 3D show jumping.

toowoomba2
Oct. 27, 2006, 04:41 PM
Good luck with the wet and windy conditions Saturday! 22 mph wind with gusts up to 40mph by evening - yikes.

Don't tear up the XC too much, I'll be going to my first HT there next weekend for the unrecognized show ;-)

Janet
Oct. 27, 2006, 04:59 PM
Any word on how the endurance phase went today?

retreadeventer
Oct. 27, 2006, 07:36 PM
Janet, they are complaining about cell phone reception there -- I heard from Cindy D about 5pm and had to hang up due to work and have not been able to reach anyone. However this is the fun dinner night where we give the good awards like First Fall etc. so not sure when I will get anyone. Please try to raise Gillian if you can and post here what you find out, if anything - thanks!

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 27, 2006, 07:49 PM
Any word on how the endurance phase went today?

Lots of stops, a bunch of eliminations and time penalties on XC, that is what I was hearing all day. Not too many steeplechase or R&T time penalties. I have 29.5 and stayed on it today, so I hope I can pass the inspection tomorrow and have a good stadium ride!

Janet
Oct. 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
Janet, they are complaining about cell phone reception there -- I heard from Cindy D about 5pm and had to hang up due to work and have not been able to reach anyone. However this is the fun dinner night where we give the good awards like First Fall etc. so not sure when I will get anyone. Please try to raise Gillian if you can and post here what you find out, if anything - thanks!
Gillian said Nextel was working fine.

Start was delyed because the ambulance had to deal with an incident elsewhere.

She said Sally was a bit "looky" at the steeplechase fences, and at a couple of cross country fences- the keyhole and the trakehner. No time penalties, though she was close on B.
She thinks she moved up to second.

She said the footing was fine, even though she went late in the day.

AM
Oct. 27, 2006, 09:35 PM
Just a few general rememberances. Two people had stops at steeplechase fences, one withdrew in the vet box, a couple retired on cross country, five or six were eliminated, roughly half of the rest had at least one refusal.

I realize this is a learning experience, but folks seemed a bit less prepared this year. There were the usual two waters. And if someone had trouble at the first one, they very often had trouble at the second one. One fence was a rather narrow gallows draped with greenery so it resembles a backward C. No one had had any trouble there. Then three or four people in a row had problems. The first ditch and the bank caused no problems but the trakener had several stops and most of the eliminations and the coffin had a bit of trouble. I believe there were two falls of riders but the riders hopped back on and continued. And one rider was eliminated when the gallop right past the bench after the first water jump.

Minstral
Oct. 27, 2006, 11:27 PM
I just went tonight to walk the course.... my feet got very wet, but silly me forgot my wellies at the barn. Stupid stupid! I've got an extremely early morning tomorrow... almost today infact! get to leave the barn at 4:30.... joyyyyyy!!!!
Good luck to everyone!!! This is my first time here, and it looks like a nice place!
Hope the rain doesnt cause too much trouble

asterix
Oct. 28, 2006, 07:13 AM
AM, thanks for posting the stats -- being "on the ground" yesterday, it SOUNDED like it was much worse than last year...but the water(s) and the keyhole were IDENTICAL to last year, although the drop/trakhener definitely harder. Interesting!

riverpup
Oct. 28, 2006, 07:33 AM
IMPORTANT INFORMATION. WE ARE CANCELLING THE SATURDAY COMPETITION DUE TO SEVERE WEATHER.

SUNDAY WILL RUN AS SCHEDULED.

NOVICE CHAMPIONSHIPS WILL BE RESCHEDULED TO RIDE NEXT SATURDAY AFTERNOON, NOVEMBER 4. DETAILS TO FOLLOW.

INTERMEDIATE WILL RECEIVE FREE XC SCHOOL--CAN USE THRU WEDNESDAY OF THIS WEEK. (CAN MAYBE USE TOMORROW IF FOOTING IMPROVES). WILL UPDATE WEB WITH DETAILS.

ALL OTHER NOVICE RIDERS PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Janet
Oct. 28, 2006, 08:49 AM
What about the stadium phase of the Three Day?

Is that cancelled too?

NRB
Oct. 28, 2006, 09:14 AM
Bummer. I realize that I am about 3 hours due south of Waradeca but it is sunny and breezy this am here. Maybe the winds will pick up?? Is that the severe weather or are they getting something different up north?

witchy_brown
Oct. 28, 2006, 09:47 AM
yeah...it stopped raining here quite a while ago. A bit of wind, but nothing severe. I wonder why they didnt just shift the ride times back some? Maybe start at 10am or something? I guess that would make it difficult to fit eveyone in, but Im sure a lot of people scratched. I hope they keep the event on for tomorrow. I really want to go!!!

Anyone who walked the courses already: how does the footing look? Im tomorrow in the prelim and am wondering if I will have big enough studs? Any suggestions? I was just thinking maybe a large road-stud in front and a small-ish square bullet in the back. That is really the only thing I have for wet/muddy weather. Should I think about buying something larger?

Any studding suggestions?

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
I was just thinking maybe a large road-stud in front and a small-ish square bullet in the back. That is really the only thing I have for wet/muddy weather. Should I think about buying something larger?

Any studding suggestions?

I haven't walked yet but I will probably use studs along those lines. I don't like to go too big regardless of the footing. But every horse is different. If I walk tomorrow and feel that I would need even bigger studs....I probably will scratch...she's green and there is no point in taking a chance of blowing her confidence skidding around a course. With the wind forecast...the footing will probably be great tomorrow. Now it is supposed to feel near freezing with the wind chill in the morning when we are competing so that's not going to be much fun--especially when our dressage is interesting enough without the aid of weather induced engergy/tension!

tannaman
Oct. 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
the problem isn't the actual weather conditions now, but the 2inches of rain we had overnight. the sun was out at 8:00 am when i arrived but the fields are laying in water. i knew something was up when trailers were rolling west on 70 as we were headed east. i think the wind wil be more a problem tomorrow.

i decided i better go and see what happens. i thought maybe they'd cancel the xc phase and make it a CT, you never know. i was very reserved about running xc given my horse has a previous bow from the track and if the conditions were bad i wasn't going to run regardless.

i wonder about the person who scratched last night and now the rescheduled event (n-ch) is next weekend..i never scratch 'officially' just in case.

i wonder if they may decide to run all of novice next weekend, would make sense versus just the championships which has a very limited number of entries...volunteer dependent of course.

i believe the stadium for the 3day is happening because i spoke with Lisa Reid there before leaving and she is trailering in daily (stallion) so she was there getting ready when i turned around.

ZEBE
Oct. 28, 2006, 02:25 PM
I scratched last light too. (NCH) we live in Frederick, and although the sun came out around 8:30...it's gotten quite windy here (by noon it was picking up)

Our field usuallly drain really well, but there's water standing in alot of our pastures... and everything else is still REALLY soggy.

oh well, ... I had a great time jump judging yesterday and love to watch the T3D riders...

hope to be riding next year!

pharmgirl
Oct. 28, 2006, 02:29 PM
The Training 3 Day continued on as usual, but they did pin each division immediately after each ran stadium so people could leave.

When I got to the farm around 7am, there was a nice river running through the hayfield which ended up at the old trakenhers and ditch. The other main reason the whole day was cancelled (as opposed to having a combined test like last year) was the wind coming in by the afternoon. The huge winds had already come in before the T3D stuff finished- people even had to hold up standards during some rider rounds to keep them from blowing over :eek:

PiedPiper
Oct. 28, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yes I realized it was cancelled . . .

when I arrived pulling the trailer after an 1 1/2 ride. :confused: :mad: I checked the internet this morning around 6ish/7 and saw nothing so not thrilled at all about it.

I was surprised to see the cancellation and figured MD must have gotten a lot more rain than NOVA. Oh well, was able to find out Matt could tolerate a 3 hour trailer ride alone without too much problem and was really able to test the truck out.

Also braided him for the first time and he stays very nicely for it. He just loves being messed with anyway.

So NOT an awful day but just not quite the way I expected things.

PiedPiper
Oct. 28, 2006, 04:16 PM
I am also assuming that we should expect some money back on this as well.

I am very annoyed to see that things weren't announced till 7:30 am, some of us were on our way out to the barn to get ready.

Running next weekend instead be a nice make up as well. Hopefully they will be able to do that instead. I really wanted two Novice HT under our belt before winter more than anything else.

Maybe
Oct. 28, 2006, 04:43 PM
Check the Omnibus listing.......... Cancellation= no refund. That was in writing before you entered. Hopefully they will give you something as a gesture of good will, but they don't have to.

PiedPiper
Oct. 28, 2006, 05:13 PM
Yes that may be true but it is standard policy that there is something given back as a sign of goodwill as well.

Like I said, I would rather run the following weekend then anything else especially since this was cancelled so late in the game with no notification to those entered. I know when Rubicon cancelled a few years back I rec'd an email as well as a nice return and schooling pass. I can say that "that goodwill" created such a good feeling for me that I have been back to compete and volunteer.

So, no, I realize it is in writing that there is no refund but something goes a long way to those that spent a lot of time and money to try and get there.

witchy_brown
Oct. 28, 2006, 06:01 PM
Uh oh. Im getting a little nervous about tomorrow.

I'll be leaving the barn around 4:30 to make it for an 8am dressage ride. With a two hour trailer ride, Id hate to get there and find out it was cancelled. Anyone have inside scoop on tomorrow? Are they going to hold it?

If not, Id love to know before 7:30 am...since we will already be on the grounds. I know how difficult it must be to make that decision and I understand why it was posted late online this morning, but if it is cancelled for tomorrow, I hope they let us all know tonight!

Anyone know how the footing is holding up? It was warm and windy up north all of today, so I hope it dries out some! I really hope they run it! Its our last event of the year!!! :sadsmile:

elizabeth Callahan
Oct. 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
I left my barn @ 4:30 am and had a nice drive ( 1.45 hrs) through all the rain and wind. At least I didn't get stuck in the parking lot but backing up in the main drive, in the dark, by myself and not being able to see oncoming traffic, was a little exciting.
At least there was someone right at the entrance to turn us away.
I was looking forward to the Int xc - but would have gone really slowly anyway
Things happen for a reason - it was just an expensive early morning drive. For the first time this year, I hadn't washed , braided or cleaned my tack - so at least i felt good about that.

kiwifruit
Oct. 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
Just got back from the T3D and what a blast I had! The steeplechase was amazing although I was 7 seconds too slow due to that greasy corner! The cross country was difficult! The only easy fence was one and may two, but the rest represented a championship level course. I was in division B and about half had stops or eliminations on cross country. The first water was especially difficult as well as the key hole jump. I think it was a definite test of the next level. Staduim I felt was relatively easy and was a good test to end the event. Overall, I had a good time with the exception of the mud and having to be pulled out by a tractor. Oh and a leaky tent with no lights....but other than that, it was great! Thanks to all of the volunteers!

Janet
Oct. 28, 2006, 08:34 PM
I walked the Training course about 11AM and the footing really wasn't bad. Still a little bit of a "stream" between the start and the first fence, and a bit slick along the pond. The only place that was actually slippery was the landing from the (skinny) pallisades. And that was before the ewind picked up, so I think the footing will be fine. And it wheeled for me as SHORTER than the stated distancre, so time shouldn't be a problem.

The footing in show jumping looked as if it was "sucking" the energy, but it was not deep.

tannaman
Oct. 28, 2006, 10:26 PM
decisions like this are not taken lightly by organizers and the decision if it was going to be made had to be made when the sun was out and the damage could be reviewed. it rained solid from 5 pm yesterday to 8am, the water needed time to drain. i appreciate they didn't want to ruin the place, we shouldn't ask them to do that either.

also consider that they may have done you a favor. the conditions may not have been right for you and your horse, you have possibly run anyway and injured your horse. but you see on Monday, the sun will be back out, the ground will be dry again and the storm will be but a memory, but your horse would still be injured. better to have your sound horse to run again another day.

i've been to one event where you had the option of mudbogging into parking on your own or having a tractor escort. we made it on our own, mudd was flying ove the hood of the truck and top of the trailer. the parking was actually worse than the course.

senecay valley has always been the worst for me. not parking but stadium warmup. the only sound ground was UNDER the warump verticals. try going into stadium with no warmup jumps, too risky.

For the first time this year, I hadn't washed , braided or cleaned my tack - so at least i felt good about that.
you weren't alone ;) i expected we'd be soaked by 8:30 am dressage so why bother it will all be for not. hey at least the trailer is all loaded for next weekend.

SophieGirl23
Oct. 28, 2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone know the winners of the 3-day? My coach left a message on my cell last night and said one of her students was in first after X-country. Just wondering how everything turned out.....

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 29, 2006, 06:19 AM
Well, my guy just ticked the skinny on the end of the ring in stadium so we ended up in second, but it's ok. He was really great everywhere else, and one rail in stadium is pretty good for him. We had the second lowest dressage score of all the competitors so that made me feel really good about moving up to prelim (again) next weekend at Virginia.

There is also a really good photo of us on the USEA website under T3d Day 2.

SportsfieldEventer
Oct. 29, 2006, 07:16 AM
piaffeprincess98 - May I please have your horse?

I was grooming for my mother and we walked the course when you went, I just must have your horse! You did a really nice job.

The T3D was a blast. The weather was a little interesting, but we all survived. Usually my mom is my groom at 3-days, but this time the roles were reversed and I was so nervous! Her horse was great, but I had knots in my stomach on endurance day! What a great experience, the Waredaca folks certainly know how to do things right.

PnkPanthr
Oct. 29, 2006, 08:41 AM
my friend and i were heading up for the novice championships. its a 3 hour hike to waredaca(which means waking up at 2:30:mad: ) once we were close to the event i was thinking to myself "Yay the weater seems to be clearing up" and i was excited. i didnt t hink they would cancel anything because it POURED the day before and the morning of the June 3rd trial and the footing held up nicely. But when i saw this lady in a trenchcoat approach my car and tell me the event was cancelled, my heart dropped. i did not know that they were going to reschedule the event and i really want to compete in the championships. so needless to say, after waking up at 2:30, leaving the barn at 4:00 and and driving a total of 6 hours straight really put a sucker on someones spirit.(and sadly it was my best set of braids too!!!) so hopefully my coach and my friend will go to the event next weekend. sorry to all of the other competitors as well.

LisaB
Oct. 29, 2006, 08:54 AM
I would vote for Piaffe for the best x-c round.
I was judging the water and the bench.
Let's see, one girl ran past the bench. Poor thing! Didn't even realize she was supposed to head towards it.
Had one girl pop off but I would give her an award for trying to hang on. Well done!
I saw a couple of YR's who really knew how to ride. Can't wait to see them at Rolex!
There were a couple of people who ran through the combo. They are an accident waiting to happen. Then I saw the opposite where folks kept tugging. It is a forward combo, just keep the feet moving and it will work out.
All in all, not many incidents. I would say that yes, these guys weren't as prepared as they should be. But the ones that were on, were really impressive.
One bad moment was when a kid was thumping and pumping over the water, got through. Then I saw him do the same thing across the pond. Really strong kid, really good ride. I heard he actually had a stop there. Then a spectator was yelling at the jj. She called twice. The second time, I had to step in and say rather loudly so the spectator can hear, 'My hubby is here and he's a cop, do you want him to come over?' Then next thing I hear is spectator has left. Nothing like pulling rank!

Firefox
Oct. 29, 2006, 09:40 AM
decisions like this are not taken lightly by organizers and the decision if it was going to be made had to be made when the sun was out and the damage could be reviewed. it rained solid from 5 pm yesterday to 8am, the water needed time to drain. i appreciate they didn't want to ruin the place, we shouldn't ask them to do that either.

You also have to think that the majority of the peolpe running on Sat were the Novice level riders that may not have the abiltiy to make the right decsion about whether to run or not, good call, hard to make , but the winds were really tough and after SJ the dressage rings were all blown down to, hard to have volunteers hold everything up :) I am sorry that we didnt get to run but made my decision easy ( my guy is only 4 and barefoot still) and that if they are able to run next weekend I will not get the chance to do the Novice Championships since we are going to VAHT, oh well!!

tannaman
Oct. 29, 2006, 11:25 AM
it doesn't help when the BNT runs regardless sending a message to the true novices its ok in these conditions. if you have a real big boned tough as nails draft cross who foxhunts in these conditions then sure have at it. its a balance between true cavalry riding and saving your mount for the next battle. my last mount was a real good mudder, and the last time we did the novice champs at waredaca it rained all day then too. my current mount is much more talented and bound for prelim but i have to be more conservative under muddy conditions due to a previous bow.

the true novice rider doesn't always appreciate how confident building good footing can be, especially if they haven't found studding. one really bad spot in a muddy track even with studs can create a problem that stays with you for the rest of the year even on good footing.

PnkPanthr
Oct. 29, 2006, 02:39 PM
Dont think of me as a dumb novice rider since i was upset i didnt get to compete:no: i was happy that they cancelled the event if the weather and footing was truely that bad(it looked like it from the parking area). i ride a TB who had a bowed tendon in the past. if it was that bad, i would have scratched anyway. i scratched from weave a dream because of bad weather and gross footing. it was my first championship and i was just looking foreward to competing. :)

Firefox
Oct. 29, 2006, 02:53 PM
Dont think of me as a dumb novice rider since i was upset i didnt get to compete:no: i was happy that they cancelled the event if the weather and footing was truely that bad(it looked like it from the parking area). i ride a TB who had a bowed tendon in the past. if it was that bad, i would have scratched anyway. i scratched from weave a dream because of bad weather and gross footing. it was my first championship and i was just looking foreward to competing. :)

I wasnt trying to bash novice riders :) heck I am one right now too!! but there are a lot of scary rides out there and they were trying to be really safe for everyone, hopefully you can go back next weekend and ride the championships, if they are able to do that!!

PnkPanthr
Oct. 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
sorry about the assumption! trust me i know. although i am only a novice rider myself, i have seen VERY scary people in every event i see. it kind of makes me wonder what they think...

nowoncourse
Oct. 29, 2006, 08:05 PM
So as of Sun night Waredaca has up dated their website to say that they will try to run the N-Champ divisions next Sat afternoon. They need to get it approved by some Area II people but as long as those board members say yes then it is a go.

As for Inter and regular N riders... you get a free xc schooling pass to be used sometime before June 15th 2007. Personally I think that is very fair!

I was out there all day on Sat and the footing out in xc was horrible. Plus the wind was so bad that people had to hold up the show jumps to just finish the T3Day. After the 3Day was over a whole crew of volunteers took down xc flags, the entire sj course, and the dressage rings just to make sure nothing broke over night. And lets remember that all of that had to be re-set so that today's show could run! Big kudos to all the volunteers!!!!!

One good thing about all the wind though was that it really made today's footing great!

Janet
Oct. 29, 2006, 08:54 PM
The wind was so strong on Saturday that it blew down one of the Prelim fneces. I don't think you wanted to be competing in that kind of wind.

oreo
Oct. 29, 2006, 10:19 PM
I think Waredaca did a great job - and they always do. Its a sad fact of eventing that sometimes you can't ride due to the condititions or your horse. But that's how it goes...

We had a blast today - a horse we sadly thought we had retired 2 years ago, and cried over because we thought he would never go XC again :no: just went out and blasted his way round Training clean today :D

:winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: He is king of the heap. Extra carrots for everyone in the barn tonight!

Janet
Oct. 29, 2006, 10:49 PM
I had a great time.

Dressage was typical for her, not great, but not bad for her, considering the wind had her prancing. Tied for 10th

A clear stadium round moved us up to 6th.

And a clear and fast cross country (3 sec away from speed penalties). Moved us up to 5th.

Several people were eliminated for being off ocurse (been there, done that). It sounded as if several people had problems at the ditches or the water.

retreadeventer
Oct. 29, 2006, 11:10 PM
Good for you, Janet! You're lucky you got to run.

I have to say this is the fourth time I've entered Waredaca and the third cancellation so my luck is not running at this event ... The footing up there just doesn't seem to take water! Not sure about the Saturday deal with the championship. It seems awkward to hold just one division of only novice people. They will have to have judges, stadium the same, jump judges and scoring -- all that for just what 40 riders or so? That doesn't seem cost effective or worth the effort. I would not be surprised if they just bagged it. And what if it rains or storms again?

Janet
Oct. 30, 2006, 12:04 AM
They are already running an unrecognized event next weekend, so they will already have the volunteers etc.

Mary in Area 1
Oct. 30, 2006, 12:09 AM
Where the heck are the results? I can't find them anywhere!

PiedPiper
Oct. 30, 2006, 06:42 AM
My luck is running like retreadeventer as well so that will be it for me at Waredaca. Having volunteered for them as well I think there are other HT that I want to spend my time and money on. Sorry if that offends others but with just plain bad luck and a few other incidents I will not be making that trip out there again. I knew I should have done CDCTA instead. Oh well, them are the breaks I guess.

Glad they could salvage Sunday and hope everyone had a good time and a good run, congrats to Janet, sounds like it was a positive day for you.

Catalina
Oct. 30, 2006, 10:47 AM
I personally am glad that they cancelled. I was not looking forward to riding in those conditions so it was nice that the decision was made for me ;). And, I think it is super cool to give us a schooling pass that is good for so long. I will definately be using it sometime next spring.

tannaman
Oct. 30, 2006, 11:09 AM
i remember the spring of cancellations, 5 horse trials cancelled due to rain in a 2 month period. so one in the last 3 years is pretty good still. and its not like this area doesn't have enough to go around.

Janet
Oct. 30, 2006, 11:20 AM
i remember the spring of cancellations, 5 horse trials cancelled due to rain in a 2 month period. so one in the last 3 years is pretty good still. and its not like this area doesn't have enough to go around.
Last fall they had a similar raistorm (but without the high winds). The T3D ran in full. Intermediate and Novice (on saturday) were converted to CTs (no XC). On Sunday I forget whether Prelim ran as a CT or HT, but Training ran in full.

I am guessing that the decision this year may have been based on "lessons learned" from last year.

mythical84
Oct. 30, 2006, 11:43 AM
As someone who rode last October in the converted Novice CT, I'm glad they canceled this year. I remember last year my horse sliding around in the dressage arena, and not understanding why I wanted him to trot in the torn up grass/mud on the ring's edge when there was much nicer footing just off the rail. And then I only jumped 2 warm-up fences in the grass b/c I was afraid that Jack was going to bow a tendon in the muck, so we went into the ring pretty green and if I was presented with that situation again I would have just scratched.

I was in XC warm-up all day on Sunday and I was quite pleased with how the footing was holding up. I was expecting to have to move the warm-up fences in the middle of the day, but everything held up well.

Oh, and I must thank everyone who came down to XC early so we could finish early ... it was very much appreciated. :)

OneDaySoon
Oct. 30, 2006, 12:00 PM
I just called Waredaca about the re-scheduling to next Saturday and although it may not be official, they told me they would not be able to run the N-Ch next weekend and did not know what Area II would be doing about the CH. I live within 5 miles of Waredaca and my place was a river :eek: - not a patch of dry safe grass anywhere. Thanks for the tip on not cancelling, but am glad I stayed home and kept my boy safe.

tannaman
Oct. 30, 2006, 05:35 PM
run the n-ch at rubicon november 11? or heck set a date after that, maybe we'll ride in the snow :)

retreadeventer
Oct. 30, 2006, 09:19 PM
I hope it's not Rubicon. I am not entered there.
No novice championship for the biggest area in the nation. that sucks.

PiedPiper
Oct. 30, 2006, 09:25 PM
Can they move the championship to another site? I wonder if any place will step up and run it at such short notice.

And retread, you bring up a good point, would it only be for those who are already entered at Rubicon (who qualify), or, being a brand new division for this HT, become open to all those originally signed up?

GatoGordo
Oct. 30, 2006, 09:38 PM
I was there on Sunday running bit check from around 9:20 until the bitter end. All of the bits and spurs were fine, but more than half a dozen people had whips that were too long. I cut part of the lash off of several, as they were just an inch or two too long. The TD had the great idea of marking the allowed length on the picnic bench, so it was both quick and unambiguous.

I guess some people did not know that, at least per this TD, you are not even allowed to warm up with a whip that is too long, and the length includes the lash stretched out flat on the picnic bench. Because the dressage was held in its own turn-out field, I stood next to the gate and processed each rider as they entered the warm-up area.

With one exception who had a little bit of an attitude about the whip rule (her whip was a good four inches or more over), everyone was courteous to me, if disappointed about their whips. I give Janet and Sally Cousins a joint award for being the most enthusiastic and appearing to have the most fun. They were the most memorable; everyone else (except asterix :cool: ) blended into a blur of riders all dressed the same on a steady stream of horses. There were several people whose whips I measured multiple times, but I really did not remember until they told me.

Janet was the only person I saw using the reins with the adjustable loops. Unfortunately, I did not get to watch any tests, as when I was not too busy dealing with the steady influx of riders, I was trying to scarf some lunch.

I did get to see a little bit of xc at the end of the day; Janet and Belle made the tables at the top of the hill look like a piece of cake.

I had a ton of fun volunteering, but the best part of the day was getting on my (asterix's) "pony" at the end of the day and finding him to be sound and excited to go. He had been feeling creaky lately, but we gave him another Legend shot on Thursday and he has very happy yesterday. We hacked w/t/c around the first half of the course in the hay field, came into the lake field with a big swinging walk, and blasted up the big hill in the lake field as the light was fading. God, I love that horse. :D

tannaman
Oct. 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
I was there on Sunday running bit check from around 9:20 until the bitter end. All of the bits and spurs were fine, but more than half a dozen people had whips that were too long. I cut part of the lash off of several, as they were just an inch or two too long. The TD had the great idea of marking the allowed length on the picnic bench, so it was both quick and unambiguous.
some use a capped pvc pipe that you put the whip in handle first and the whip lash sticks out if too long.

oreo
Oct. 30, 2006, 10:48 PM
The HTs all get the chance to bid to run the championships for the next year. Having run BN Championships, it is a lot of extra work for not much reward, other than smiles. Its possible (tho I don't want to speak for them) that they don't want it at Rubicon......

Janet
Oct. 30, 2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks. I didin't feel particularly "enthusiastic" in dressage- just trying to make sure her tension didn't feed mine, and vice versa.

If her dressage would catch up with her jumping she really WOULD be ready to move up to Prelim.

tannaman
Oct. 31, 2006, 08:17 AM
The HTs all get the chance to bid to run the championships for the next year. Having run BN Championships, it is a lot of extra work for not much reward, other than smiles. Its possible (tho I don't want to speak for them) that they don't want it at Rubicon......

i was thinking out loud when i suggested that. the original waredaca plan was probably the most probable even if folks were scheduled to run VAHT making it a conflict. waredaca was already setup for it, especially having another ht this coming weekend. the comment i received regarded how fair it would be to everyone entered to have it on this date. if only half the riders entered in N-Ch showed up, would it really be a championship?

the schedule for the area is full with VAHT, rubicon and then the area 2 meeting. i say have it that weekend back at Waredaca. i have very little chance of winning in the N-Ch but I'll play if the sand box is setup :)

Janet
Oct. 31, 2006, 08:20 AM
Based on past experience, the Area II Council is VERY reluctant to reschedule any event that has to be canceled/rescheduled. Especially if the rescheduling conflicts with anything else in the Area.

retreadeventer
Oct. 31, 2006, 08:48 PM
Yes, you can easily understand the logistics of rescheduling in an area that is already overscheduled and straining the calendar...just take a look at the third weekend in April in 2007....and it is not a big plus to add a championship to a horse trial in terms of economic benefit, I am sure. It's just a courtesy I suppose to most of them. I wonder about the whole concept of a championship horse trial anyhow.