PDA

View Full Version : Breeders' Cup 2006

Glimmerglass
Oct. 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
I guess it is about time to get this thread going :D

The latest confirmation: George Washington Definite for BC Classic (BloodHorse 10-16-06) (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35833)

"George goes for the Classic," [Aidan] O'Brien said. "We know he would have been short-priced favorite for the Mile, but winning the Classic would open the whole world to him. The one thing they need to do, to handle the dirt, is travel in their races - and that's what George has always done, as much as any horse we've ever had."

I still will scratch my head on that one but hey it certainly makes for a more exciting Saturday afternoon!

Also in the Breeders' Classic at 1 1/4 mi on dirt mix will be:

Bernardini and one guesses Invasor although oddly not mentioned in the article below at all!

Flower Alley, second in last year's BC Classic, will be back for another try, trainer Todd Pletcher's assistant Mike McCarthy said on Monday from Churchill Downs.

Other horses with Classic plans include: Lava Man, winner of seven in a row; Invasor, winner in eight of nine career starts; Santa Anita Derby winner Brother Derek; Super Derby winner Strong Contender; 2005 Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo; and Andromeda's Hero, David Junior, Lawyer Ron, Perfect Drift, Premium Tap, Suave, Sun King and Super Frolic.
Source: International Herald/AP 10-15-06 "latest BC Classic probables" (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/16/sports/NA_SPT_RAC_Breeders_Cup_Field.php)

The above is the first mention I have seen of Lawyer Ron being pointed to the Classic! Now under Todd Pletcher and I hope a new jockey it would be another nice hard-grinder to add in the mix!!

Regarding the Breeders' Cup Mile with George Washington now committed to the Classic and Showing Up repeating his career best Beyer Speed Figure of 107 in the Jamaica Handicap, the door for him returning to the BC is back open!

His exceptionally strong effort was just what Tagg said was required to consider him for the BC Mile.

Tagg is however still firmly on the fence with Nobiz Like Shobiz (2nd place runner in the Champagne) in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. He was mugged early then recovered pretty well for a 2nd start in a Grade 1 event against more seasoned runners. I think he should stick with initial plans to aim him for the G2 Remsen Stakes on Nov. 25th and the rest of the way through the Kentucky Derby ;)

horselips
Oct. 16, 2006, 10:38 PM
I'm really really hoping Invasor is entered.

Slewdledo
Oct. 16, 2006, 11:13 PM
No need to scratch your head. Coolmore's going to throw the best they've got at Bernardini. :winkgrin: Makes for intrigue, suspense, and FUN for us American fans. Lava Man and Sun King just might pick up the pieces and come in for the exacta. That's who I'll be rooting for.

I kind of hope they run Quiet Little Miss in the BC Juvenile Fillies. She's beautiful. I'm not a Point Ashley fan.

Bordonaro's going to be supplemented to the Spring, which is FABULOUS. He and Henny Hughes'll be at each other's throats down the stretch. The Sprint's my favorite BC race.

Then the Distaff, where you've got the mares who just put in clunkers on Polytrack.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 17, 2006, 01:48 AM
/*-*/

Glimmerglass
Oct. 17, 2006, 06:22 PM
$250k put up now, but another $125k required to actually enter him ..

Officials of Breeders' Cup Ltd. have confirmed that the 4-year-old Invasor, a top contender for the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I), has been nominated to the Breeders' Cup program as a horse of racing age.

Pam Blatz-Murff, senior vice president of Breeders' Cup Operations, confirmed today receipt of a $250,000 payment from Invasor's owners, Shadwell Stable. This payment places Invasor, whose sire, Candy Stripes, was not nominated to the Breeders' Cup Program for the 2001 Southern Hemisphere breeding season, into the Breeders' Cup Program for his entire racing career, including earning full purse monies in Breeders' Cup Stakes program races.

Should Shadwell enter Invasor in the Breeders' Cup Classic, which will be run at the Breeders' Cup World Championships on Nov. 4 at Churchill Downs, the owners will pay the standard $125,000 fees to start in the race. Had Invasor not been nominated to the Breeders' Cup under the horses of racing age program, his supplemental fee to start in the Classic would have been $750,000. BloodHorse 10-16-06 (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35845)

Slewdledo
Oct. 17, 2006, 06:35 PM
Lava Man's connections have already done the same. He wasn't BC-nominated.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
Lava Man's connections have already done the same. He wasn't BC-nominated.

Yep, the Kenly family's STD Stable and Jason Wood, the co-owners of the 5-year-old gelding, (http://www.breederscup.com/content.aspx?type=news&style=purple&id=20527) paid $150,000 on Tuesday October 4th. Thus they avoided having to suppliment him in to the race for $450,000, or 9 percent of the Classic's purse.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 18, 2006, 11:00 AM
BCC the 'swan song' for Bernardini?

No other publication has suggested this except this obscure one that equidaily.com uncovered. I would've thought that another stab at the Dubai races with Bernardini would've been planned for 2007 or maybe even going to California for the Strub Series.

The spectacular Bernardini is due to be retired at the end of this year, but Discreet Cat will winter in Dubai following the Cigar Mile, and will remain in training as a four-year-old. [Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford] added: "We will look forward to seeing Discreet Cat compete in all the top races in America next year."10-12-06 "Breeders' Cup bid 'very unlikely' for Discreet Cat" (http://midas.picdar.co.uk/cgi-bin/RP?MatchIndex=3&urn=719099443&Random=1463330512&FFAC=WM0000029398&searchid=1)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 18, 2006, 04:33 PM
TB Times (10/18): "Shirocco '50-50' for Breeders' Cup Turf" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=67259&subsec=2)

It would be a shame if he wasn't brought to the US to defend his victory in last years Breeders' Cup Turf divison.

Slewdledo
Oct. 18, 2006, 11:52 PM
It would be a shame if this was the last we saw of Bernardini. :mad:

Shining Energy and BADGE OF SILVER are apparently going to be contesting some of the turf races!!!!!

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 19, 2006, 12:27 AM
+-*-+
-+*+-
+-*-+

Glimmerglass
Oct. 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
You have to wonder what Frankel has up his sleeve with Badge of Silver. On the face of it he doesn't belong in the Mile, but it's not like Frankel doesn't know how to pull off a turf upset.

He's had plenty of rest! Last start and win on Jan 1, 2006 (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35874)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 19, 2006, 10:04 AM
No Lava Man hat yet, but they added a very plain jane version of a Bernardini ball cap (http://horsehats.com/bernardini-horse-racing.html), which I wish had used the Godolphin blue. Of course he is running for Darley Stable, perhaps Lava Man will get the blue one :)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
I do believe that Drvmb1ggl3 made this prediction in a prior thread regarding the merits of George Washington running in the seemingly-odd spot of the Breeders' Cup Classiic ;)

SportingLife (UK) 10-20-06 "George to retire after Breeders' Cup" (http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/06/10/19/RACING_Washington.html)

"We've been lucky enough to stand a lot of champion stallions over the years," said Coolmore manager Christy Grassick. "But I don't think any of them could match George Washington's range of qualifications."

Glimmerglass
Oct. 20, 2006, 02:18 PM
You would've thought a Clydesdale named Bernardini had taken to the track :)

[Bernardini] turned in his first workout since his effortless romp in the Oct. 7 Jockey Club Gold Cup, breezing five furlongs in a pokey 1:04.3 yesterday at Belmont

:D

Glimmerglass
Oct. 20, 2006, 05:57 PM
BloodHorse 10-20-06 "Mandella Decides Not to Run The Tin Man in Turf" (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35902)

The Tin Man, who has compiled the best seasonal record of his career with two grade I wins at the age of eight in 2006, will miss what would have been his third effort in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).

Trainer Richard Mandella said he decided on Thursday that the son of Affirmed would not make the trip from his California base to Churchill Downs.

"He just isn't training back up to his best form and I'm not going to bring him there if he's not," Mandella said. "Right now, I'm deciding whether I'll go ahead and give him a couple of months rest or just take some more time with him between races. But, with the Breeders' Cup coming up, I don't have time to have him back where I should in order to go."

JER
Oct. 20, 2006, 06:02 PM
"We've been lucky enough to stand a lot of champion stallions over the years," said Coolmore manager Christy Grassick. "But I don't think any of them could match George Washington's range of qualifications."

George won 4 races at 2 and 2 this year at 3. Let's give him some extra points for character (forgets to leave gate, hissy fits galore) but I think this is slightly exaggerating.

One of the less-"qualified" Coolmore stallions, High Chaparral, won something like 7 Gr1s, including 2 BC Turfs and 2 Eclipse Awards, over distances from 8f-12f. But hey, that was years ago and George is this year's hype.

To bad we can't see this horse have an actual racing career.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 22, 2006, 11:56 AM
I thought this was great: Lexington Herald-Leader 10-19-06 "Lava Man primed for Breeders' Cup" (http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/horse_racing/15793866.htm)

No disrespect intended, Bernardini. But Lava Man has brought his fighting game east with him for the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic. Watch out.

He so fills his Keeneland stall with his A-game that trainer Doug O'Neill has had to hire security guards 24/7.

Their mission: to keep people away. It's not that Lava Man fails to enjoy his visitors. If he were a human athlete, he'd spend all his time signing autographs.

But when visitors start to leave, Lava Man "is all over the stall," said O'Neill's brother and assistant trainer, Dennis. Last week, he got so excited he leapt into the air and bumped his head on the rafters.

That's A-game aggression. The zone this horse is in has him thinking it's all about him. He's feeling that way because he hasn't lost a race in seven starts this year.

But with the Breeders' Cup only 21/2 weeks away, Lava Man does not need any more bumps to the head. So now he has security guards outside his stall.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 22, 2006, 11:17 PM
TB Times (10/18): "Shirocco '50-50' for Breeders' Cup Turf"

Shirocco unlikely for Breeders' Cup Turf

Although a final decision will not be made until Monday morning, Shirocco (Ger) is unlikely to defend his Breeders' Cup Turf (G1) victory on November 4 at Churchill Downs.

Paul Harley, the racing manager for owner and breeder Georg Baron von Ullmann, cited a pending stud deal and concern that Shirocco would face firm ground at Churchill in the Turf.

Shirocco will probably remain in Europe and be retired, with stud plans to be announced later in the week, Harley said. Von Ullmann will retain a few shares in the Monsun horse out of So Sedulous, by The Minstrel.
TB Times Sunday 10-22 (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=67346&subsec=2)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 23, 2006, 03:52 PM
Vacare, winner of the G1 turf-QE2 Challenge Cup and undefeated in her career, will skip the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf.

On again, off again, and now no Barclay Tagg at Churchill at all ...

Showing Up will skip the Breeders' Cup Mile after all and will instead go out to California for the Hollywood Derby at the end of November.

Nobiz Like Shobiz will skip the Breeders' Cup Juvenile and will instead point to the G2 Remsen Stakes at the end of November.

From across the pond: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/6078472.stm) George Washington is a confirmed starter for the Classic; Ad Valorem, Ivan Denisovich and Aussie Rules are confirmed for the Breeder's Cup Mile; Scorpion confirmed for the Breeders' Cup Turf.

Linny
Oct. 23, 2006, 04:02 PM
Shirocco will pass as well. The stud deal mentioned above was with Darley. He'll stand at Dalham Hall next year.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
[":":":":]

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 23, 2006, 07:17 PM
[":":":":":"]

SED
Oct. 24, 2006, 08:57 PM
One of my clients owns Film Maker, who will run in the Filly and Mare Turf.

What are the thoughts on her, and how competitive that field will be? Its fun to have a connection, no matter how slight, to a horse who will be running....

Glimmerglass
Oct. 24, 2006, 10:17 PM
One of my clients owns Film Maker, who will run in the Filly and Mare Turf.

What are the thoughts on her, and how competitive that field will be? Its fun to have a connection, no matter how slight, to a horse who will be running....

From watching an early preview on the BC this might be one of very few divisions that won't be oversubscribed. Undefeated - but young - Vacare will not be going to the BC, she will instead be sold at auction. And Europe's top notch Pride (FR) won't be shipped over either.

In the current NTRA rankings for the Filly/Mare Turf division Film Maker is 5th. The probelm will be for her connections is that one of the best older mares in recent history will be there: Ouija Board. Lord Derby's 5-yr old champion gal can drop kick the boys, older ones too, and I won't be betting against her. Although Film Maker has finished just behind her twice.

Also tough as nails with a final kick 3-yr old Gorella with Julien aboard will be in there as well.

The three make for a very nice trifecta pick ;)

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 24, 2006, 10:40 PM
[}{}{}{}{{}}]

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 24, 2006, 10:53 PM
?///][||||||||\\

Glimmerglass
Oct. 24, 2006, 10:59 PM
With Gorella going for the BC Mile

Still not a guarantee - there is the 3% chance of still doing the F/M Turf hence my inclusion of her in that group ;) I like her a lot but I think her last outting (Gorella's) wasn't impressive as before accordingly I think its a risk [to not win] putting her in the Mile against the boys.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 24, 2006, 11:17 PM
[,...,,.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 25, 2006, 11:56 AM
Take a look at the pre-entries received: Breeders' Cup Pre Entries - October 24, 2006 (http://www.breederscup.com/content.aspx?type=news&style=purple&section=bc&id=21053)

What stands out is Godolphin's attempt to squeeze out at least one other horse from the BCC field by listing Discreet Cat yet having no intention of running him in the Classic. Only 14 can start. So who gets dropped/bumped? I doubt Lawyer Ron and Flower Alley will both start, and it seems Todd is leaning towards FA going over the two.

The Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Division has a whopping 24 pre entries!

Glimmerglass
Oct. 25, 2006, 09:45 PM
I guess after some review by the selectors your man, Flower Alley, was rudely shown the alley ...

Pletcher Calls Flower Alley Classic Exclusion 'A Joke'
by Leslie Deckard of The BloodHorse (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35992)
10/25/2006

Trainer Todd Pletcher called the exclusion of Flower Alley from the body of the Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I) 'a joke' during a National Thoroughbred Racing Association/Breeders' Cup media teleconference Oct. 25 to announce the pre-entries for the eight-race $20-million event.

Flower Alley, who finished second in last year's Classic, was excluded from the body of the race and placed on the also-eligible list. He will not be eligible to compete unless another horse is withdrawn from the field before entries are taken Nov. 1.

"I think it is an absolute joke he did not get in, and I will leave it at that," said Pletcher, who has a record 18 horses pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup World Championships Nov. 4 at Churchill Downs. "It's close to a moot point because I do believe he will get into the race."

The top seven Breeders' Cup point earners in each division gain automatic berths, while the remaining seven horses are selected by the Breeders' Cup racing directors/secretaries panel. Horses not selected into the body of a field are then ranked in order of the panel's preference. If a horse defects from the field, horses fill the vacancy in order of their ranking until entries for the race are taken Nov. 1.

"There are seven of us who look over the data and the races," said Ben Huffman, Churchill Downs racing secretary and a member of the selection panel. "Flower Alley did not have any graded earnings this year (later revised to correct that the Salvator Mile was grade III). The thought was his race in the Salvator Mile was mediocre and then two poor races after that. It came down to a vote, and we did not vote him in."

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2006, 05:15 PM
Looking very good Friday morning, albeit on poly ...
DRF Clocker Report FRI 10-27-06 (http://drf.com/bc/2006/clocker/clocker.html)

Lava Man (six furlongs in 1:15.56) - Drew plenty of attention from railbirds as he warmed up and made his way past the grandstand and around the turn to begin what was obviously designed to be an easy maintenance work eight days prior to the Classic. Set the tone with an opening furlong in :14.22 after which Romero even reached down to take a little more hold. Lava Man settled into an easy stride and after reaching the halfway mark of the work in a relatively slow :39.81 was given a glimpse of the stick and responded with a final three-eighths in a crisp :35.75 while cruising to the wire in hand and with his ears pricked. Galloped out extremely well before finally pulling up midway down the backstretch. Looks to be maintaining his terrific form entering the Classic.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2006, 07:23 PM
Come on kids print this out :D

Breeders' Cup Poster Bernardini vs. Lava Man (pdf file) (http://www.bloodhorse.com/pdf/bc_mane_event_poster_2006.pdf)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2006, 08:38 AM
P Val returns to the irons for the BC!

As I've said many times before, like him or hate him the guy is productive while riding and never has there been a suggestion his riding was questionable owing to drugs ....

ESPN 10-29-06 "Valenzuela rebounds again with Breeders' Cup mounts" (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/breederscup06/news/story?id=2643093)

excerpt

And these days are again successful.

Valenzuela finished near the top of the jockeys' standings at Santa Anita's meeting that ended Sunday. Through Friday, he ranked 13th nationally with purse earnings of more than $8.85 million. He has booted home winners at a 19 percent rate while finishing in the money 48 percent of the time.

Business has "rebounded pretty quickly, better than you would expect," said his agent Jim Pegram, who previously worked for Valenzuela in the mid-'90s.

"I haven't heard any negativity," Pegram said. "It doesn't mean it's not there."

Valenzuela has always possessed a mix of cockiness and confidence, spurred by his victory in the 1980 Santa Anita Derby, when he was 17. Even while he was derailing his career with drugs, alcohol, unexplained absences and run-ins with the police, Valenzuela's engaging smile and riding skills charmed those offended by his misdeeds.

Trainers have been eager to use Valenzuela, with Doug O'Neill and Hall of Famer Neil Drysdale among them.

"Every time he comes back, all is forgiven," Pegram said. "The fans love him. The owners love the guy. He's very charismatic."
Trainer Todd Pletcher is considering Valenzuela for one of his two entries, Lawyer Ron or Flower Alley.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2006, 09:51 AM
From Invasor's Sunday (Oct 30) workout: (http://drf.com/bc/2006/clocker/clocker.html)

Invasor (five furlongs in company in 1:01.76, training track): Though off since winning the Whitney on Aug. 6, Invasor continues to show trainer Kiaran McLaughlin all the right signs. In this work, Invasor broke alongside stablemate Paullinus, backed off him a bit entering the far turn, drew on even terms at the quarter pole after running three furlongs in 37.26 seconds then ran away from that one by eight lengths in recording his final quarter in 24.50 seconds. Continued to gallop out well under exercise rider Barry Downs.

"He could not be training any better; as the rider said that's his best work ever, but the competition is stiffer than he's ever faced too," McLaughlin said. "But we're very happy and maybe it was a blessing to miss the Jockey Club Gold Cup."

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2006, 03:38 PM
One fewer for the BC sprint ....

Commentator out of Sprint
By DRF STAFF Oct 30, 2006 (http://drf.com/news/article/80073.html)

Commentator will not be entered Wednesday for the $2 million Breeders' Cup Sprint, to be run Saturday at Churchill Downs.

According to a Breeders' Cup release, trainer Nick Zito said Commentator had aggravated a previous shin injury in his left fore. The defection of Commentator will allow Areyoutalkintome to draw in to the race from the also-eligible list.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2006, 04:57 PM
A great prelude to the BC is today's "Talking Horses" with nw BC race caller Trevor Denman. Folks on the west coast are simply spoiled with Trevor's calls mated with his enthusiasm. I only marginally enjoy Tom Durkin and only then when he seems to care about the race and takes up the calling a notch from his bland as paste commentary.

Talking Horses 10-30-06, Guest Breeders' Cup Race Caller Trevor Denman (http://www.bloodhorse.com/talkinhorses/TD103006.asp)

excerpt

Denman
Being a comment maker, or as they are called in Europe, commentators. It is not just a matter of "joining the dots" and naming the horses in a race. One must paint a picture. Distances behind the leader are vital for a listener. Pace changes in the middle of a race are crucial. Types of trips and unexpected movements must be instantaneously spotted. From the quarter pole home, don't waste time on horses who are going nowhere, concentrate on the contenders. Think like a jockey in a race. And, of course, make it exciting. Every race is someone's Kentucky Derby.

The above couldn't be any more true!

Glimmerglass
Oct. 31, 2006, 04:10 PM
Amazing that one of the biggest days in racing is just days away with perhaps one of the strongest fields of contenders across the board, likely to break the all time in-person attendance records, the most comprehensive television coverage ever, the biggest purses for the Cup ever, and the coveted horse of the year time on the line for no less then three contenders and yet seemingly almost zero interest on this BB.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 31, 2006, 04:17 PM
We can only hope that will liven things up.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 31, 2006, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking of starting a BC competition thread. Maybe that will liven things up.

By all means, please do. I've decided to cut back on the "feeding" as it seems to be of little interest plus other sites like equidaily.com have just as many interesting elements per day under their BC section anyhow.

Maybe if you title it "Barbaro and Breeders' Cup" it will have a bigger draw ...

dbtoo
Oct. 31, 2006, 06:51 PM
I think there is alot of interest by people who follow racing but don't feel they know enough to post anything. I know that I really appreciate the insiders point of view. Please don't stop posting.

luvmytbs
Oct. 31, 2006, 07:20 PM
I snapped a picture of Skip Code on Sunday morning:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup2006005.jpg

And here are a couple more Breeder's Cup Day contenders, just don't know who they are, couldn't take a shot and read their names on their saddle blankets at the same time..:D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup2006006.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup2006004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup2006002.jpg

Spurt
Oct. 31, 2006, 08:42 PM
Well I haven't been on COTH lately but wow the biggest day of racing and no one can talk about it.

Out of the europeans I would like to see OB win, schooled with her in the paddock this morning and she is one classy filly.

For the juvy fillies I would love to see Bel Air win as well, she's got such a good head on her shoulders and her connections are top notch.

I'm rooting for Happy Ticket as well and she looked good in her last work there. Round Pond looks great, so much calmer then what I can remember of her when she was younger.

Slewdledo
Oct. 31, 2006, 08:50 PM
Dubai Escapade, who was going to take on the boys in the Sprint, is out. :(

Luvmytbs, I posted your links on another forum to see if we can find out who they are. You lucky duck, on the backside at CD on Breeders' Cup week.

luvmytbs
Oct. 31, 2006, 09:37 PM
Spurt,

a friend of mine was totally in awe over the work for Silent Name this morning, did you get to see it?

Slewdledo
Oct. 31, 2006, 09:45 PM
Luvmytbs, Siren Lure is the bay. And Lilly Carson is the 2nd chestnut.

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 1, 2006, 12:31 AM
LuvmyTBs..... Great pics. Are you planning on visiting CD the rest of the week? Would love to see a close up pic of Gorgeous George when he shows up, if you get a chance.

Spurt..... can we get a daily update from you???????????? pretty please?
How cool it must be to be literally surrounded by horses of that stature.

luvmytbs
Nov. 1, 2006, 07:28 AM
Luvmytbs, Siren Lure is the bay. And Lilly Carson is the 2nd chestnut.

You guys are good!

I am scheduled to do the "Dawn at the Downs" breakfast tomorrow morning, maybe I will get some more pix in. Normally you got the sun right in your eye on the front side though.

luvmytbs
Nov. 1, 2006, 07:41 AM
Check out this link:

http://www.breederscup.com/bc_index.aspx

If you click on the races on the right, you get an info snap-shot for each horse.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:08 AM
Semi related to the BC hence I'll stick this here ...

Did anyone read Andrew Beyer's article on the Maktoum clan? Oddly I could not find this on the Washington Post site rather only in a syndicated newspaper carrying his articles. Hmmm, a little pressure in DC to not run the negative article on a foreign leader? ;)

WP/Cincinnati Post 10-31-06 "How the sheiks are buying a sport" by Andrew Beyer (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/SPT/610310324/1035/SPT)

Perhaps it is unfair to criticize the Maktoums because they play the game more aggressively than anybody else. Perhaps the criticism smacks of xenophobia. But their domination of U.S. racing will harm the sport in an important, if intangible, way.

While thoroughbred racing had declined in popularity, it has had one saving grace. The human stories associated with the game - particularly the Triple Crown series - have commanded keen public interest. Funny Cide's pursuit of the Triple Crown thrilled America because a syndicate of middle-class citizens owned the gelding. Smarty Jones' rags-to-riches saga was similarly compelling. Unbridled's victory touched the nation because TV cameras showed trainer Carl Nafzger hugging the frail, 92-year owner and telling her, tearfully, "You've won the Kentucky Derby, Mrs. Genter! I love you!" These are the events that give horse racing a tenuous hold on the affections of the American public.

If the sheikhs owned Funny Cide or Smarty Jones or Unbridled or any future classic winner, interest in those horses would be minimal. Certainly, Bernardini has generated little attention, despite his brilliance as a racehorse. The sheiks are remote figures. Their advisers, managers and trainers are organization men. To outward appearances, theirs is a joyless operation. When the ruler of Dubai finally fulfills his goal and wins his first Kentucky Derby, nobody is going to hug him and exclaim, "You've won the Kentucky Derby, Sheik!" And few people will cheer because he has succeeded in buying the game.

(The 1990 Kentucky Derby with Mrs. Frances Genter, the oldest winning Derby owner, unable to really see the race but given the call in the stretch is still very touching)

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:29 AM

Barnfairy
Nov. 1, 2006, 10:48 AM
Amazing that one of the biggest days in racing is just days away with perhaps one of the strongest fields of contenders across the board, likely to break the all time in-person attendance records, the most comprehensive television coverage ever, the biggest purses for the Cup ever, and the coveted horse of the year time on the line for no less then three contenders and yet seemingly almost zero interest on this BB.

Well, the Chronicle is primarily a sport horse publication... it only stands to reason that the COTH forums attract mainly sport horse enthusiasts.

'Can't speak for others, but -- I have been preoccupied as of late by a certain claimer who will be coming home to my barn on BC day, and who, at 130 starts over 8 years, is evidence that there are still some TBs today capable of proving their longevity...

Once he is safely tucked in his new stall on Saturday I will no doubt enjoy an afternoon at the races from the comfort of my couch. :yes:

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2006, 10:55 AM
For the off-beat stories ...

Chicago Sun-Times 11-1-06 "Breeders' Cup menu" (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/118139,FOO-News-downs01a.article)

Here's the menu for Saturday:

Cajun-dusted prime rib of beef served with horseradish cream and Henry Baines Sauce.

Bourbon-glazed chicken breast that is pan-seared and served over molasses, onions and hominy, and drizzled with chicken demi glace.

Barbecued jumbo gulf shrimp sauteed with Levy Restaurants' signature barbecue spice and finished with sweet cream butter.

Pan-seared pecan-crusted trout served with andouille sausage and jumbo crab relish.

Herb-roasted breast of turkey paired with apple butter and cranberry chutney.

Diced fall root vegetables in saffron jus, a medley of turnips, rutabagas, parsnips and carrots.

Cherry cobbler with brown sugar and oat-streusel topping.

And ya'll thought it was going to be the TV schedule ;)

Sandbarhorse
Nov. 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
:mad: Glimmer, you've made me hungry and I still have almost 1/2 an hour until lunch.

I read all the threads on the big races and, of course, the breeders cup. I hope you won't stop posting stuff. I don't post much because, frankly, I know so little that you'd all just be giggling if I did. Just for the record too, I've also seen a few people get jumped on pretty hard for saying something that ended up being wrong.

As for the Maktoums, I find it impossible to hate them. Be jealous of them; yes, hate them; no. They (and by design-Coolmore) have, IMHO, effectively saved the market for racehorses and, in so doing, the racing itself. The fact that they have not won the Kentucky Derby in spite of all the money and horses they have, is evidence of everything that is great about racing. It can only be bought to a certain extent. I will not be sad when they do, eventually win the KD; they've earned it. In fact, I'd say it will be a bit of a human interest story, given how much they've put into getting there.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have to say that for as polarizing as D. Wayne Lukas has been over the years (love him or hate him, no one seems to be on the fence with an opinion) I do feel a little bit sorry that the old lion is seeing the end of the run. He still has plenty of knowledge to share as the "old school" guys shouldn't be so quickly discarded.

He has a lot riding on Pegasus Wind, who was bred by none other than 1978's Affirmed "kid" jockey Steve Cauthen, but at 14-1 ML odds in the BC JV I think the betting public sees him as 2nd tier behind the Pletcher horses.

McClatchy Newspapers 10-31-06 "Lukas has one shot at Breeders' Cup, but it's a good one" (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15892396.htm)

Lukas, however, holds nothing back when stating that his current stable numbers the lowest amount of horses he's had since the early 1970s.

He wonders if the types of owners he once had - moguls like the late Eugene Klein, Bob Lewis and W. T. Young - any longer exist for him.

"I lost three key clients who all passed away, and that hurt us," Lukas said. "And my 11 or 12 or 13 (former) assistants out there each took a client with them when they left ... with my blessing, by the way.

"But I wish I had some of them back now," Lukas said in a wistful sort of way about his former clients and his glory days.

"I've got the energy," he declared of his will to train more than 40 horses. But as for clients, "I don't know if they're out there."

Lukas said he's given this a lot of thought. He's seen it happen to other great trainers, such as Laz Barrera, Woody Stephens and Charlie Whittingham, all deceased.

"You get aligned with certain people," said Lukas, "and when they disappear it's hard to recover."

When Lukas was approaching the height of his training career, he courted Klein by arriving at his house in a Rolls Royce.

"He was gifted. He knew how to promote himself," Lukas' protege Stewart said.

Barnfairy
Nov. 1, 2006, 12:00 PM
The following views and opinions are not necessarily those of this poster:

Right or wrong, I'm just gonna say it; an Arab owner has about as much appeal to Average Joe Better and Jane Horselover these days as a German in 1936.

As for buying the Kentucky Derby --providing the Maktoums do get their coveted KD win-- ...who hasn't? One way or another, you pay the big $$$ to get the big $$$.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2006, 12:04 PM
A bit more behind Pegasus Wind and Steve Cauthen, who sold the colt for $90k at Keeneland in Nov '04: Courier-Journal 10-31-06 "'The Kid' now has a 'kid' of his own" (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/SPORTS0802/610310435/1002/SPORTS)

Spurt
Nov. 1, 2006, 05:49 PM
Well it was cold, sloppy and rainy so quite a miserable day. I had a hard enough time trying to keep my horses under wraps to pay attention to much else and I didn't hang out on long on the track.

But...

Bel Air Beauty is full of it, she's really starting to blossom. She's bucking, pulling and looks great all dappled out. You won't see many pictures of her, she doesn't use the saddle cloth and she's a plain bay.

Cash Included, is small tiny little thing and I'm not big on her..mainly because of her connections.

Lilly Carson looks like she is training well, she looks nice and relaxed out there. I haven't paid much attention to her but she's pretty cute.

Cohiba Miss is rank just like most of Bernie Flint's horses. I don't know if she got it or not.

In the juvy-

I'm a U D ghetto fan. Jamie Sander's horse has been bad in the paddock in the past but the other day schooling in the mornign with me he was good. She blew him out 3/8ths this morning and never turned him loose at all. I think he's fast but I dont' think he'll rate with all the equipment on so he should be done early. He's big and pretty though. Street Sense I've been watching since this summer. He's a big gangly looking thing but I know his connections have been high on him for a long time. Seems smart and sensible. Malt Magic is a pretty big guy and has a horrible main job..looks like someone cut it with scissors. Shipped well and looked alright on the track, he went out in the heavy rain today. Walked the shed this afternoon like a old pro.

Filly and Mare-
I didn't see OB today but loved her the other day. Germance I've been seeing alot, she doesn't look too big but nothing seems to bother her much either. I don't know much about her past performances at all. Not a big fan of dancing Edie-see her everyday(same reasons as above).

Sprint-
Too much bling, he goes awful, usually never on the correct lead. Doesn't seem worried about shipping, always has his head hanging out of his stall. Walked this afternoon and never turned a hair(we have alot going on too, the shed is busy with all of the other horses walking, big equipment and so on). Nightmare affiar BUCKED and I mean literally bucked prado off. He held on to the reins. He's a big stout looking thing always has his blinkers on.

Mile-
Free thinking is at Turfway training still, he'll come in at the last mintue. Badge of Silver is a very nice looking horse but I doubt he'll get it done, its a typical ramsey move wanting a horse in a big race.

Distaff-
HAPPY TICKET-loved her work the other day. Fabio said that he had plenty of horse but the track was pretty sticky so he tried to keep her slow, he said if she was ready to go at the quarter pole.

Turf-
Silverfoot is the only one I really see-I've been seeing him for the last couple years. He stands out so much. I doubt he's good enough in here and I haven't been impressed with him much this year as I was last year.

Classic-
Lava man-why does a horse have to train with blinkers and shadow rolls, is beyond me. David Junior looked better today then has but really he's not much to look at and seems like he sort of out of place. P. Drift isn't in yet either. Suave I caught his work the other day but thats it, looks good but I still remember last year where they ran past him like he was tied to the quarter pole. I wanted to see Lawyer Ron but sadly that doesn't look like its going to happen, I've watched him at oaklawn and at Churchill all this time and was looking forward to see if what Todd did to him...I heard he ran off with Angel the first day at Belmont-2 laps so that is 3 miles.. Brother Derek doesn't look as good as he looked for the KD but he was just sort of hobby horsing out there this morning. Looks like he got thinner or something or maybe I just remember him better then he actually was.

Okay I tried to go down the list. Thats all I can remember for the most part, the biggest was Nightmare affair bucking off Prado..lol

Spurt
Nov. 1, 2006, 05:57 PM
Well it was cold, sloppy and rainy so quite a miserable day. I had a hard enough time trying to keep my horses under wraps to pay attention to much else and I didn't hang out on long on the track.

But...

Bel Air Beauty is full of it, she's really starting to blossom. She's bucking, pulling and looks great all dappled out. You won't see many pictures of her, she doesn't use the saddle cloth and she's a plain bay.

Cash Included, is small tiny little thing and I'm not big on her..mainly because of her connections.

Lilly Carson looks like she is training well, she looks nice and relaxed out there. I haven't paid much attention to her but she's pretty cute.

Cohiba Miss is rank just like most of Bernie Flint's horses. I don't know if she got it or not.

In the juvy-

I'm a U D ghetto fan. Jamie Sander's horse has been bad in the paddock in the past but the other day schooling in the mornign with me he was good. She blew him out 3/8ths this morning and never turned him loose at all. I think he's fast but I dont' think he'll rate with all the equipment on so he should be done early. He's big and pretty though. Street Sense I've been watching since this summer. He's a big gangly looking thing but I know his connections have been high on him for a long time. Seems smart and sensible. Malt Magic is a pretty big guy and has a horrible main job..looks like someone cut it with scissors. Shipped well and looked alright on the track, he went out in the heavy rain today. Walked the shed this afternoon like a old pro.

Filly and Mare-
I didn't see OB today but loved her the other day. Germance I've been seeing alot, she doesn't look too big but nothing seems to bother her much either. I don't know much about her past performances at all. Not a big fan of dancing Edie-see her everyday(same reasons as above).

Sprint-
Too much bling, he goes awful, usually never on the correct lead. Doesn't seem worried about shipping, always has his head hanging out of his stall. Walked this afternoon and never turned a hair(we have alot going on too, the shed is busy with all of the other horses walking, big equipment and so on). Nightmare affiar BUCKED and I mean literally bucked prado off. He held on to the reins. He's a big stout looking thing always has his blinkers on.

Mile-
Free thinking is at Turfway training still, he'll come in at the last mintue. Badge of Silver is a very nice looking horse but I doubt he'll get it done, its a typical ramsey move wanting a horse in a big race.

Distaff-
HAPPY TICKET-loved her work the other day. Fabio said that he had plenty of horse but the track was pretty sticky so he tried to keep her slow, he said if she was ready to go at the quarter pole.

Turf-
Silverfoot is the only one I really see-I've been seeing him for the last couple years. He stands out so much. I doubt he's good enough in here and I haven't been impressed with him much this year as I was last year.

Classic-
Lava man-why does a horse have to train with blinkers and shadow rolls, is beyond me. David Junior looked better today then has but really he's not much to look at and seems like he sort of out of place. P. Drift isn't in yet either. Suave I caught his work the other day but thats it, looks good but I still remember last year where they ran past him like he was tied to the quarter pole. I wanted to see Lawyer Ron but sadly that doesn't look like its going to happen, I've watched him at oaklawn and at Churchill all this time and was looking forward to see if what Todd did to him...I heard he ran off with Angel the first day at Belmont-2 laps so that is 3 miles.. Brother Derek doesn't look as good as he looked for the KD but he was just sort of hobby horsing out there this morning. Looks like he got thinner or something or maybe I just remember him better then he actually was.

Okay I tried to go down the list. Thats all I can remember for the most part, the biggest was Nightmare affair bucking off Prado..lol

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:09 PM
So many story lines to the BC Classic and so many "battles" - the Lava Man ("Blue Colar") vs. Bernardini ("Royal owned") was attempted to be played up but I think the grudgematch of Coolmore's George Washington vs. Godolphin (essentially) Bernardini is pretty interesting too ...

DRF 11-1-06 "Racing's royalty take off the gloves" (http://drf.com/news/article/80127.html)

excerpt:

This is Magnier, arguably the most powerful man in Ireland, the proprietor of Coolmore Stud and Aidan O'Brien's Ballydoyle training center, and the owner of George Washington, the best horse in Europe, vs. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the unquestioned authority in Dubai, the commander-in-chief of Godolphin, Darley, and Gainsborough, and the owner of Bernardini, the best horse in the United States.

More than a horse race, this is a grudge match of epic proportions between Magnier's dark blue colors and Sheikh Mohammed's Darley maroon and white. Think medieval joust with lances unsheathed.

But King John [Magnier] was not laughing at the Keeneland September sales two months ago, when Sheikh Mohammed, his pockets bulging with petrodollars, outbid the Magnier team on every single yearling of mutual interest.

Magnier got some back when George Washington slammed Godolphin's Librettist into sixth place when winning the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot on Sept. 24, but the Breeders' Cup Classic is an even bigger fish to fry. Magnier knows from experience that victory in the Classic, or even a near miss like that of Giant's Causeway in 2000, can add substantially to a European horse's stud value. To do so at the expense of Sheikh Mohammed's Bernardini would would double the Irishman's fun, and return the smile to his face.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:21 PM
Worth a peek ...BloodHorse 11/1/06 "BC Classic Post Position Analysis: Anatomy of a Theft" (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=36149)

Also, in case he was potentially getting ignored (goodness he shouldn't be!) that would be a fatal mistake:

ESPN/Bill Finley 11-2-06 "Don't forget about Invasor" (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/breederscup06/columns/story?columnist=finley_bill&id=2646399)

Invasor has had three starts in the U.S. this year, all of them in Grade I's. He won all three. Even so, Lava Man has had the better year. He is 7-for-7 and has won three Grade I races, including the Charlie Whittingham Handicap on the turf. He is a very good horse and I have all the respect in the world for him. But he just isn't as fast as Invasor is.

On any speed figures you want to look at, Beyer figures, Ragozin sheets, Thoro-Graph, Invasor is a significantly faster horse than Lava Man is. His two best Beyer numbers this year are a 113 and a 111. Lava Man ran a 113 in the Santa Anita Handicap, but hasn't cracked a 109 since.

luvmytbs
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks Spurt......

it was miserable today wasn't it?

I bet Prado didn't look too pretty after the fall? :D But at least it would have been a soft landing in all that mud.

I saw Brother Derek in May and he was one big hunk. Gorgeous. So if he doesn't look as good as he did then? Hmmm.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2006, 09:02 AM
Not a fan of Bobby, never will be and for his comment below I only hope that much more that Lava Man brings his A game to the Classic.

San Diego Union Tribune Nov 2 "Frankel: Lava Man has 'got no shot'" (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20061102-9999-1s2bcupnotes.html)

“He's got no shot,” Frankel said. “Bernardini, if he runs his race, will win it. The numbers are much better on Bernardini, and I go by the numbers. I'm a numbers guy.”

Of course if folks forget Lava Man was claimed and the one guy that won't forget that is the man who lost the claim for him at $50k: LA Times 11-2-06 "The big one that got away" (http://www.latimes.com/sports/horseracing/la-sp-breedsider2nov02,1,2036643.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-horse_raci&ctrack=1&cset=true)
excerpt:

When [Lonnie Arterburn] risked Lava Man for $50,000 in a 2004 claiming race at Del Mar, the 3-year-old gelding had won only three of 12 races.

Now Lava Man is the highest-earning former claimer in history, with $3,804,706 going into the $5-million Breeders' Cup Classic on Saturday.

Arterburn isn't sure he'll even have his television on.

"It's pretty painful to watch," he said.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2006, 10:29 AM
Resources ..

PP for Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (Race 3) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=3)

PP for Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (Race 4) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=4)

PP for Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (Race 5) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=5)

PP for TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (Race 6) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=6)

PP for NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (Race 7) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=7)

PP for Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Distaff (race 8) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=8)

PP for John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (Race 9) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=9)

PP for Breeders' Cup Classic Powered by Dodge (Race 10) (http://ntra.equibase.com/eqbNTRAGetFreeFF.cfm?trk=CD&rd=11/04/2006&cty=USA&de=D&rn=10)

findeight
Nov. 2, 2006, 11:54 AM
Keep posting. I lurk because I play the ponies a bit and find alot of insight on here that has paid off nicely.

Unfortunately I will be out of town this Saturday and will not be wagering...and the BC is a bettors nightmare with alot of good ones and no sure things.
Last time it was at Churchill I did VERY well after noticing the somewhat heavy track was favoring those placed outside in the gate. Hit a #13/#14 boxed $2 exacta...I think one was Tikanen. It was awhile back.

Were I to play, I would use PD in an exotic for the Classic (along with everybody else) with several going at shorter odds as he usually hits the board but rarely wins. I hope Lava Man but think Bernardini.

No excuses about conditions this year...it should be cool and dry. It stopped raining last night with no more forecast.

I'll try to watch some of it and schedual myself better next year;)

luvmytbs
Nov. 2, 2006, 02:16 PM
Dawn at the Downs was nice.

They took Bernardini out for the first time after his arrival. His trainer was leading him off a pony horse and they proceded slowly to the finish line. Bernardini then was stopped and turned around to look at everything. He was calm as can be enjoying the sights, LOL. Boy is he muscled up.

He then proceded for a jog without the pony and a slow gallop during which the exercise rider was practicing lead changes :) . It was beautiful to watch. They also went into the gate once and back to the barns it was.

I will post some pictures of the horses I got on camera later on today.

Jinx
Nov. 2, 2006, 05:25 PM
Please dont stop posting about the breeders cup!!! i read the racing board every day i get onto COTH (which is most days) and im not generally reading the barbaro thread (i take a peek to see whats up but im on to read the rest of the racing stories)

sadly i really dont know much about racing...i love it...but im purdy ignorant...i would LOVE to be as involved as most of yall are...so i live vicariously through you!!!!!

so dont think people arnt reading this because they arnt posting!

and im really excited for sat...a whole day of racing greats!

luvmytbs
Nov. 2, 2006, 07:01 PM
Here we go:

Hurricane Run
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup003.jpg

Nightmare Affair
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020057.jpg

Nightmare Affair
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup013.jpg

Invasor
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup009.jpg

Invasor
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020051.jpg

Happy Ticket
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup011.jpg

Happy Ticket
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020053.jpg

Got The Last Laugh
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup016.jpg

Red Rocks
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup022.jpg

Round Pond
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup023.jpg

Round Pond
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020054.jpg

Quick Little Miss
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/BreedersCup024.jpg

Satwa Queen
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020047.jpg

Pomeroy
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020056.jpg

Cash Included
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020061.jpg

Just some unknown cutie that was getting into the picture
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/luvmytbs/PB020038.jpg

Glimmerglass
Nov. 3, 2006, 09:37 AM
The front page of USA Today [Friday Nov 3rd] has an article on the Breeders' Cup and nice picture of Lava Man there.

USA Today 11-3-06 "Blue-collar horse now takes on the blue bloods" (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/breeders/2006-11-02-lava-man_x.htm)

Also the same type of story from the NYT ..
New York Times 11-3-06 "Lava Man, From the Poor Side of the Paddock, Takes on the Bluest of Bloods" (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/sports/othersports/03racing.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

“We’re trying to make him feel as much at home as possible,” O’Neill said. “I know we have a lot to prove, and people are justified to be skeptical of a Cal-bred who has not done much outside of California. But you think about how much we got him for, and what he has done so far, and there is no way me or any of the owners can be disappointed by Lava Man.”

Nobody knows better than [co-owner, Steve Kenly] that Lava Man has outrun his purchase price.

“I’ve been handicapping and studying horses for a long time, and I know on paper Bernardini looks like a freak and should run away with it,” Kenly said. “But it sure feels like Lava Man should win. He’s been looking the best horses in the eye now all year, and then separating himself from them. Everyone wants to believe in fairy tales, and I’d like to think Lava Man can write the perfect ending to this one.”

Not everyone is on the fairy tale train leaving Saturday ...

Et tu brute? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute%3F) ;)

Joe Drape LA Daily News 11-3-06 "Lava Man's flow will stop" (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4595471)

The Californian in me wants to predict Lava Man is about to embarrass everybody who insinuates his competition at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park and Del Mar isn't as strong as the Eastern horses', and those who think an ex-claimer son of Slew City Slew is ipso facto inferior to a classic-winning son of A.P. Indy.

But Bernardini just looks too good. It looks like Wait 'Til Next Year for Lava Man. ...

Glimmerglass
Nov. 3, 2006, 09:55 AM
AP 11-3-06 "Irishman O'Brien owns strong hand in Breeders' Cup" (http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/15920920.htm)

excerpts

Saturday, he takes another shot at the Classic with George Washington, an Irish-bred colt named for the American president. George, as O'Brien calls him, was bred by Americans Roy and Gretchen Jackson, who own Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro.

"Most of the American people will disregard him," said O'Brien, wearing a navy jacket with 'Georgous George' in script on the back.

Another European star, David Junior, is among George Washington's rivals in the 13-horse field, with even-money favorite Bernardini, Lava Man and Argentine-bred Invasor getting all the attention.

George Washington could have entered the Mile and been a short-priced favorite, but co-owners John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith relished the challenge of the 1 1/4-mile Classic on the dirt.

"It's a step into the unknown," O'Brien said. "Anything is possible with this horse. We know we've never had a horse with ability like his."

"I can't tell you the gears and ability this horse has," O'Brien said. "A horse with blistering speed like he has, you always wonder how far they can stretch it. The question is: How far can you stretch an elastic band? We've never been beyond a mile with him."

British-bred Ouija Board makes her third consecutive start in the Filly & Mare Turf for trainer Ed Dunlop. She won in 2004 and finished second last year.

"I doubt many European performers would come three years in a row," he said. "Most people would have retired her after she was injured at three. But the owners had a lot of patience. I'll certainly never have another one like her."

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 3, 2006, 10:00 AM

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 3, 2006, 10:18 AM
[]

“If he’s good enough then he will be able to track him [/quote]

Glimmerglass
Nov. 3, 2006, 01:34 PM
I had to laugh at this ... from The Bloodhorse's 'Morning Line' Report (http://bc.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=36192) the more detailed, blog-like feedback on the goings on at Churchill:

9:10 a.m. Thursday
Riding legend Angel Cordero Jr. and assistant Mike McCarthy leave trainer Todd Pletcher's barn to get breakfast for the crew. With McCarthy driving, they come upon a gaggle of reporters blocking the backside road.

"Do you want me to yell 'Loose horse'?" Cordero asks. "That worked last time. I was trying to come through to train, and I kept telling the reporters, 'Excuse me, excuse me, I'm trying to come through,' and nobody is moving. So, 'Excuse me, excuse me, horse coming through!' Nobody's moving. Then I yell 'LOOSE HORSE!!!' Man! They picked up them cameras, they run, they clean the place up quick."

:D

Jinx
Nov. 3, 2006, 02:15 PM
loose horse...quality! but hey gets the press outta the way i guess...

so whats the forecast for louisville this weekend?

also how does colder weather affect racehorses? do they have to take special precautions with lower temps?

(more or less wrapping of legs for the race? more warm up?) I know that its most likely the same as in any other horse sport but just thought i would ask......

luvmytbs
Nov. 3, 2006, 02:23 PM
56 for a high and sunny, last I heard. I still will be wearing something warm. I can always take it off, LOL.

Horses love cool temps. It sounds perfect for them.

98neigh
Nov. 3, 2006, 08:22 PM
Please post the results of the races. I don't have anything but regular TV so won't get to see anything. CAn't go off to a sportsbar (they will probably be watching college sports anyway) 'cause I got to stay here to take care of the horses I have. Also, since I live in the Tampa bay area, Sunday all they'll be talking about is the Buccaneers (guess they'll loose again). So please, give me a clue about what's happened in the races. thanks - steph

Jinx
Nov. 3, 2006, 10:36 PM
you can watch it online!

go to www.youbet.net and sign up for a FREE account...then you can at least watch the races...otherwise ESPN.com might be showing some live racing too....but the youbet.net thing is worth it...gives you the live feed from the track...and you can place fake wagers...on youbet.com you can place real wagers but i prefer the no risk kind ;-)

98neigh
Nov. 4, 2006, 07:24 AM
thanks jinx, I'll give that a try, wonder how it'll work on my slow dial-up. Just switched on the morning show on TV and what did the sports anchor say: What's going on with the Bucs quarterback?' geez. oh, and don't forget about high school football. college ball, nascar, golf. well as far as we're concerned here in central fl, nothing going on in the horse world. oh well. everyone who's going to watch, enjoy !!! - steph

EponaRoan
Nov. 4, 2006, 08:02 AM
Isn't there an OTB (Off track betting) place around you where you could go to watch? I don't know if Tampa Bay Downs is open for bets/racing and in your area, but that's a possiblity. Their website isn't very informative about stuff like that!

Norcrest
Nov. 4, 2006, 09:39 AM
Must admit I skimmed thru much of the posts this morning..been so busy but this afternoon I will relax and enjoy the BC races.....but I will be screaming my headoff with all appreciate appendiges crossed for Bushfire...I still miss her 1/2 brother and want to see her go on and become the superstar that she can be.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 6, 2006, 07:45 AM
Did anyone read Andrew Beyer's article on the Maktoum clan? Oddly I could not find this on the Washington Post site rather only in a syndicated newspaper carrying his articles. Hmmm, a little pressure in DC to not run the negative article on a foreign leader? ;)

WP/Cincinnati Post 10-31-06 "How the sheiks are buying a sport" by Andrew Beyer (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/SPT/610310324/1035/SPT)

As expected fallout from Beyer's comments.

NY Newsday 11-6-06 (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11062006/sports/big_sheik_up_in_sport_of_kings_sports_ray_kerrison .htm?page=0)
Indeed, on the eve of the Cup, a firestorm broke over the Dubai assault on U.S. racing when Andrew Beyer, a Daily Racing Form columnist, wrote a scathing article, accusing them not only of checkbook horsemanship but also of spending billions on horses at the expense of their people.

Then, turning the knife, he wrote: "Most wealthy people in the sport won't spend money in a fashion that makes them appear foolish or vulgar. The Maktoums are unfettered by such constraints."

After that, you could hear the howls from Churchill Downs to Lexington, the nation's breeding capital, to Dubai. The Arabs reportedly responded by withdrawing their advertising from the paper.

Then the sheik's American racing manager, Rick Nichols, had his say. Struggling to control his fury, he told the press after Invasor's Classic triumph: "That was a piece of trash journalism because the man doesn't have a clue what goes on inside the Maktoum family."

Beyer seemed particularly incensed that Sheik Hamdan could go down to Uruguay, flash his oil-bulging checkbook and snap up a horse like Invasor for $1.4 million. He said much of the Arab success had come from buying up horses developed by other people, including Cup Sprint flop Henny Hughes for $4 million.

Although more balanced comments from Newsday ...

But that's the free market, the way it works. No one should be hammered for scouting the landscape, checking out horses and offering to buy. There are no guarantees. Invasor could have broken his leg first race out of the gate for the sheik. In horse racing, as elsewhere, you pay your dollar and take your chance.

The traffic is not all one way. American owners have taken their horses to Dubai and won their World Cup, which carries a prize of $6 million - a million richer than the Classic.

This is a new era in American racing - for now. No one can buy the racing game. The Arab era will pass too, just like Calumet.