PDA

View Full Version : CANTER Cutie Alert!

Emstah
Sep. 23, 2006, 09:23 PM
Oh dear, I'm LOVING this boy! I always seem to pick out ones from the Storm Cat line, though I've never worked with one, they always catch my eye!

Rumbling Storm, chestnut gelding, 16.1 hands, 4 years old. Boy does this guy have the looks! And he looks to be a super comfortable ride - just look at that shoulder. And he's another Storm Cat - his grandfather on the sire's side. A nice horse to be around and work with. If you want an attention getter in the show ring you better grab him quick. Ready to go and start training for his new show career. Sound with no issues what-so-ever. $2,000

http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/RumblingStorm-2.jpg

luveventing
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:06 PM
I have dealt with this trainer before and he takes very good care of his horses and has been very honest in my dealings with him. not to mention they generally have very nice quality horses. worth a look!!

frugalannie
Sep. 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
Em, show your Mom!

eks
Sep. 24, 2006, 01:21 AM
I was drooling over this one today too! What great conformation, and he looks pretty mellow. It is cute how in the 2nd pict on canter he is resting his head on the trainer.

The bay Storm Cat mare is really nice too. If I had a farm, I would pick up the gelding...

Emstah, I just saw that you go to UD...we must think alike. I went to UD and graduated ages ago (1992) I loved it there and that area ( I grew up in the Chadds Ford area and always kept my horses in Unionville even while at college) Where do you ride? Savor your time there...it goes much too fast!

RiverBendPol
Sep. 24, 2006, 08:16 AM
EM-A-LEEEEEEEEEE

Did you go get him yet? You KNOW I love red ones. You KNOW I love 4 year olds. You KNOW I love TBs aaaaaaaaaaand, I have a BIRTHDAY next week AAAAAAAAND Mikey is is REHAB. Oh Honestly.

J. Turner
Sep. 24, 2006, 08:21 AM
That guy looks great! I know some people don't like mares, but what a cutie patootie ... and big

Call Me Stiletto, dark bay filly, 16.1 1/2 hands, 3 years old. This is one BIG girl! She was purchased by owner/trainer as an unbroken two year old and being ridden around the farm and through the fields has been part of training. They say she is an awesome ride; really easygoing and very comfortable - just no speed. And with no speed, no starts on this girl either. No issues - sound and clean. $2,499

http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/CallMeStiletto-2.jpg

Emstah
Sep. 24, 2006, 10:51 AM
Haha, mum, you want me to bring him on the train with me to NYC next weekend?!

eks, I ride with Sally Cousins in Oxford. My horses live about 1/4 mile down the street from her which is perfect! I'm a senior this year and have absolutely loved my time here- the thought of being a college grad this time next year is definitly freaking me out! Maybe I'll fail a few classes so I can stay an extra semester :winkgrin: Just kidding Mother :)

Well yeah, so having two lame(ish), very naughty boys certainly makes a new project look pretty nice!

Emstah
Sep. 24, 2006, 10:54 AM
Mum, here's what we will do- after NYC, you come down here with me and we'll go look at him. We'll buy him and he can hang around at my barn ;) until Thanksgiving and then I will drive him to Saco. Sounds brilliant to me! Go change your train tickets!!

Perfect Pony
Sep. 24, 2006, 01:55 PM
Wow, it's been a long time since I have seen a CANTER horse posted that I really like as much as this guy. Has anyone seen him? I ran his race record, he's raced a lot. I wonder if he really is sound? I wonder if there a truck leaving for CA??

RACE RECORD North America/USA
YEAR AGE STARTS 1ST 2ND 3RD USA$
------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 2 4 0 0 1 2,535
2005 3 14 1 3 0 10,890
2006 4 9 0 0 0 866
------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS 27 1 3 1 14,291
(includes turf)

2005/TURF 3 0 0 0 632
2006/TURF 1 0 0 0 0
TOTAL/TURF 4 0 0 0 632

TheOtherHorse
Sep. 24, 2006, 02:26 PM
You've GOT to go see him! I'm also somehow drawn to the Storm Cat lines, and I recently bought a granddaughter that I really like. Go get that cutie! :yes:

Perfect Pony
Sep. 24, 2006, 02:53 PM
I just talked to the trainer, he was posted on Thursday and someone looked at him yesterday. I don't think he'll last long. Trainer says he's a nice correct horse that's track crabby but easy to deal with. Sound and ready for a short break then some work.

Wish I was close enough to go see him, he does have something about him.

RiverBendPol
Sep. 24, 2006, 03:46 PM
I would call him Rumbles.............:sadsmile:

Em, I actually sort of like your plan. Most likely he won't be there by next Monday. In fact, why don't you just go get him TODAY and then bring him home at T-day time. Ben and Melissa will be happy riding in the truck from NY... Plenty of room. Ben and Mabel in the back seat should be fine, you have Mo after all.:winkgrin:
Ya, I like this idea better. Just GO.

Debbie
Sep. 24, 2006, 04:13 PM
Emstah! Listen to your mother! ;)

Mine's never told me to go get a horse...

Emstah
Sep. 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
One of these days, Ma, I AM going to go get one when you tell me to and then won't you will be suprised ;) AND, I will be free and clear of any grief from Dad because I will have the forums as my proof that you told me to!! I mean, I wouldn't ever want to disobey my own Mother! Haha

eks
Sep. 24, 2006, 07:36 PM
Please, GO GET HIM!!! I keep looking at him and I already have 1 horse and am all the way in Florida...please listen to your Mom and get him, so I won't continue to be tempted.

frugalannie
Sep. 25, 2006, 08:44 AM
Emstah and Pol: get the mare (Stiletto) too. If you don't like her, you can send her down to me!

RiverBendPol
Sep. 25, 2006, 10:31 AM
My CHILD told me last night I already have too many horses and that if I GET RID OF SOME then maybe she'll go get Rumbles for me.......What? Isn't this the wrong way around? Aren"t *I*, the mother the one who's s'posed to tell HER, the child, things like that? Jeeze. Birthday or not, I guess I'm outta luck.
FA, why don't you go get Stilletto and bring ME the red one.......:winkgrin:

Debbie
Sep. 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
That's just WRONG RiverBendPol! I was following this exchange keenly as it gave me a bright idea about the value of reproducing, but now not so much!! :lol: :lol:

Work it girl. Rumbles wants to live in Maine.

Emstah
Sep. 25, 2006, 12:52 PM
Hey hey hey, I am just TRYING to be realistic about all of this! No one wants that boy more than I do, BUT, I'm just attempting to be rational, which is not usually my strong point! I KNOW that if I go look at him I will bring him home and we will have years of happiness together, and that he will become the best event horse ever to walk to earth, BUT, who needs any of that?!

I'm going to call the trainer now :uhoh:

RiverBendPol
Sep. 25, 2006, 01:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cool:

:eek:

Didja cawll him yet? huh? didja huh, didja??? Whatdhesaaaaaaaay??? And don't lie and tell me the horse is sold, you wicked child.

frugalannie
Sep. 25, 2006, 02:22 PM
Go Em! Check out Stiletto, too in case the red one is sold. Always have a backup plan!

I can't go get her myself, Pol, because a mare I gave away two years ago (through this BB, actually) just came back to me. That means I have 6, count 'em, 6 horses. What am I thinking?

Anyway, I just think it's funny that you recently mentioned you were thinking of checking out the horses at Suffolk, and then this perfect animal comes along and your daughter won't let you have him.

Oh my stars and garters!

frugalannie
Sep. 25, 2006, 02:26 PM
Also, Pol, did you get my last (long) e-mail last week? I needed to know if I should pass along your phone number to my friend and etc.

Since you're reading this and not e-mails, I though I'd check here!

eks
Sep. 25, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hey hey hey, I am just TRYING to be realistic about all of this! No one wants that boy more than I do, BUT, I'm just attempting to be rational, which is not usually my strong point! I KNOW that if I go look at him I will bring him home and we will have years of happiness together, and that he will become the best event horse ever to walk to earth, BUT, who needs any of that?!

I'm going to call the trainer now :uhoh:

See, now you are thinking like a true UD student!!!

CarolinaGirl
Sep. 25, 2006, 08:19 PM
We have his FULL brother down here in SC (5 y/o chesnut gelding lol). Bounce owned him and then he was sold onto a student. I rode him for awhile while she was pregnant but he is a VERY nice horse and very easy to work with. Super cute guy. So if this guy is anything like his brother he's goning to be really nice.

RiverBendPol
Sep. 25, 2006, 08:42 PM
HO-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, Em-a-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Loves to ride
Sep. 26, 2006, 08:51 AM
Pol,

Please tell us that you decided to get this horse! He is CUTE!!! :)

Lily5453
Sep. 26, 2006, 09:36 AM
Oh Oh! I'm a UD grad too! (2005). Again, best school choice I could have made. It was wonderful!

RiverBendPol
Sep. 26, 2006, 02:04 PM
Pol,

Please tell us that you decided to get this horse! He is CUTE!!! :)

Seems my "AGENT" has bailed on me. She's giving me the SILENT TREATMENT today. Looks like those *4* empty stalls in my barn will have to stay empty and all the lucious green grass on my hills will just turn brown because the very few horses I have here can't possibly eat it all. Such a shame-he is so close to my AGENT's house. Her farm has room to house him till Thanksgiving. I could even take a road trip to pick him up. Oh dear. Oh well. Storm Cat is her favorite line too.
:eek: :no:

CluesGirl
Sep. 26, 2006, 02:14 PM
Emstah didn't take away your allowance and your truck keys yet, did she? :lol:

That is one pretty boy!
I told her last year to bring one home, train him up, I'll pay to keep him fat and happy and then sell him to me in a year for a nice profit.
Then I can do what I did with Clue -- get stuck, turn around and have Emstah compete him for me. Ha!

Go get him!
Quick while Em's not looking!
Sounds like you have a NEW farm! You lucky girl!

Emstah
Sep. 26, 2006, 02:42 PM
Well GEEZE! I'm sure not getting an INCH over here. You know, RBP, I think your phone and truck work tooooo, BUT, I just got off the phone with the trainer- a very nice man who has lots of good things to say about Widdle Mista Rumbey :sadsmile:

He is at the Penn National track, which is not as close to me as I was hoping, but certainly doable. He says he hasn't really had too many people intrested in him yet, so I would probably be safe to wait until next week to go look (which is lucky because there's no way I can get there this week- or is there :p). SO, Mum, change your train ticket and come down here and we'll go look together, k?

Cluesgirl- go pick one out from the CANTER PA site and we'll snag that one too!

frugalannie
Sep. 26, 2006, 08:00 PM
Psst... Cluesgirl: Stiletto!

CluesGirl
Sep. 27, 2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Jiannico-2.jpg

I don't know, FA - this girl is pretty cute!
I am a sucker for red ones.

And look at this guy! The face on him!
http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Zabava-2.jpg

But I can't bring one home.
I am house-poor, and am hoping that the lease I am looking at will work out. He packed a YR to prelim and a *, and I am hoping that he is ready now to pack my butt around Novice and maybe Training. He seems like a total love, and I truly don't have the time to devote to training right now.

I am always available for a road trip if extra hands are required!

I want to hear all about the trip!!!!!

RiverBendPol
Sep. 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
I wish we'd known you were looking for a novice packer!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAK!

Meanwhile, you may NOT have that red mare with the rolled white eye. Look how many miles high her rump is!! You are right tho, Stilletto is waaaaay too tall for you!:eek: You'd get a nose bleed.

CluesGirl
Sep. 27, 2006, 03:13 PM
And heck, I haven't even ridden him yet.
But I'm freshly back to the area and time/money forces me to only be able to partially lease something. This situation just kind of fell in my lap, I'm headed to try him out in the next few days. He looks so much like Clue!

So the girl's got a l ittle "junk in the trunk"...I did notice that, I'm just a sucker for that flash. If I can't walk in stilettos, I shouldn't be riding them. :lol:

Have you just recently placed the Grey One?

RiverBendPol
Sep. 27, 2006, 05:04 PM
...Have you just recently placed the Grey One?
What this means? What Grey One? We have 3!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: One round-now-novice-grey-one is looking for work, one tall-skinny-hurt-grey-one is on stall rest here with me and one picture-perfect-young-starting-work-grey-one is in DE with Emstah. Of whom do you speak? :)

RiverBendPol
Sep. 28, 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey Kids, guess what Emstah's doing on Monday..............Yup. She's taking a road trip to Penn National. She's taking a pal along so some flexion tests can take place. She's been chatting with a certain trainer. Yup. Turns out maybe Ol' Emstah isn't such a bad daught after all!:winkgrin: :eek: :lol:

Debbie
Sep. 28, 2006, 05:55 PM
Restores a little of my faith in humanity and brings a tear to my eye. ;)

Yay Emstah!

I do prefer to do my horse shopping like I prefer to do my child rearing -- vicariously! You're doing well on all counts RBP!

Tux61096
Sep. 28, 2006, 06:27 PM
Hey Kids, guess what Emstah's doing on Monday..............Yup. She's taking a road trip to Penn National. She's taking a pal along so some flexion tests can take place. She's been chatting with a certain trainer. Yup. Turns out maybe Ol' Emstah isn't such a bad daught after all!:winkgrin: :eek: :lol:

Just in case you need a backup chestnut gelding to look at. . http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/StarOptimist-1.jpg, not quite the same type of conformation, but handsome. Good luck with the track visit and subsequent purchase! (You know one way or the other, there's a new OTTB coming your way) :cool:

Sorry to hear Mikey is laid up, hope he recovers quickly!

RiverBendPol
Sep. 28, 2006, 07:58 PM
TUX!! Where have you beeeeeen?? I missed you this season. Tux OK??

This is a LOVELY pick. Ooh, Em, take a look! I'd hate for you to go all that way and only see one...This is a beaut, don't you think??

Debbie, Emstah is really about the best kid there is. I was just jerking her around a little. (and look! She's going to get me a birthday pony after all! :))

Loves to ride
Sep. 28, 2006, 10:33 PM
Oh RiverBendPol and Emstah - hope all works out well on Monday!

I'm not sure why, but I really liked that horse so if an eventer got him, and he ended up in New England, then someday, I could see him compete! :winkgrin:

Good luck and my fingers are crossed!!! What a great pair you are...

Tux61096
Sep. 29, 2006, 07:21 AM
TUX!! Where have you beeeeeen?? I missed you this season. Tux OK??

This is a LOVELY pick. Ooh, Em, take a look! I'd hate for you to go all that way and only see one...This is a beaut, don't you think??

Debbie, Emstah is really about the best kid there is. I was just jerking her around a little. (and look! She's going to get me a birthday pony after all! :))

Just hanging about, doing a bit of volunteering. Tux is a permanent lawn ornament (and very good at it, I might add ;) ) so riding is is not really happening for me right now.

Hope you have a great birthday, may you & Emstah find the perfect birthday pony!!!!

CluesGirl
Sep. 29, 2006, 09:56 AM
You ladies need another non-gray horse!
RBP - I was speaking of your cute Jazz. I thought he was placed with a YR, no?

I may have quite the exciting deal set up for myself once I am permanently back in MA. In your old town, in fact! :) Don't want to get too excited, lest I jinx myself.

I can only hope that someday I will ahve a daughter (or son!) who will share my passion for pone-pones...and who will buy me one for my 36th birthday :winkgrin: , right Pol? It is the big 3-6 this year?

RiverBendPol
Oct. 2, 2006, 01:50 PM
You ladies need another non-gray horse!
RBP - I was speaking of your cute Jazz. I thought he was placed with a YR, no?

I may have quite the exciting deal set up for myself once I am permanently back in MA. In your old town, in fact! :) Don't want to get too excited, lest I jinx myself.

I can only hope that someday I will ahve a daughter (or son!) who will share my passion for pone-pones...and who will buy me one for my 36th birthday :winkgrin: , right Pol? It is the big 3-6 this year?
CG!!! Which of my old towns? We've done Needham, Milton, Natick and Sherborn. Not to mention Dedham and Westwood! Never wanting to stray TOOOOO far, tho, eh?
Jazzy WAS with a YR but she is ready to go Prelim and we put the brakes on that. Jazzy is ready for BN and N. I am taking him to a pace this weekend.
Ya, 36. That's right. But if it really is 36 then why do I look SO OLD?:cool:
Don't forget, Em is the third child...the other 2 have NO horsie interest!

Tux61096
Oct. 2, 2006, 04:13 PM

OK, so it's Monday. . .what's the scoop? Do you have a new birthday pony? Inquiring (i.e. nosy) minds want to know!

Emstah
Oct. 2, 2006, 06:43 PM
I'm putting the trip off till Friday because I have three exams and papers due this week and am feeling slightly overwhelmed! After my exam on Friday morning though, I'm going to head up there, so will definitly keep you all posted!! I'll take lots of pictures too :)

CluesGirl
Oct. 3, 2006, 12:20 PM
Stupid school stuff. I'm currently studying for an 8-hour licensing exam myself. Blech.

I am considering taking a job in RBP and Emstah's old town of Sherborn!
The lovely farm to be named later is looking for a line-in night manager...I would be doing morning feeding and general stuff!

Plus, I've found a lovely packer to lease and I will be working in Norwood for at least one year beginning November 1st!! Yahoo! It seems like my dream come true!

You two will have a PM soon so I can ask your opinion of the place and the people there.

RiverBendPol
Oct. 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
....You two will have a PM soon so I can ask your opinion of the place and the people there.
:eek: :winkgrin: :lol: Oh gooooody ! You know we will NOT hold back!!!!!!!!
Harrrrrrrdeeharhar.:D Then you can move into our old house and put your ponies in the back yard:)

RiverBendPol
Oct. 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
You have a PM :):lol: :cool:

frugalannie
Oct. 6, 2006, 10:02 AM
And I want to get an update as soon as you hear from Emstah, Pol.

And thanks so much for the e-mail on those mares. Just what I needed: guilt!

RiverBendPol
Oct. 6, 2006, 02:15 PM
Well, FA, today's the day those gals go to auction........I just got off the line with Em-it is downpouring rain in PA/DE, she has a paper to write, horses to ride, a new baby to visit (human, NOT hers!:eek:). We discussed the red one and she might go see him. We will surely tell you if anything happens. It IS my b-day today but I may just have to settle for the beautiful rendition of Happy Birthday she did for me-I thought it was someone from The Boston Opera Company. Mary in Area 1 sang to me as well. Such good pals I have. :)

frugalannie
Oct. 6, 2006, 03:03 PM
Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Pol. Happy birthday to you.

And many happy returns of the day!

Loves to ride
Oct. 7, 2006, 04:07 PM
Any updates?

HopefulEventer
Oct. 8, 2006, 02:21 AM
I've completely fallen in LOVE with this guy. Even though he's in Pennsylvania...

No Ifs Ands Or Buts, bay gelding, 16.1 hands, coming 4 years old. This is a quiet, well built guy with a great mind. He is very well mannered and should make a really nice retraining project. He is a mild cribber - owner says it is only occassionally and doesn't think he'll crib with turnout. He is a nice mover with good self carriage and is sound. $1,800. Bob Latshaw or Becky Mazzaro. 717-469-1107.

http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/NoIfsAndsOrButs-1.jpg

http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/NoIfsAndsOrButs-2.jpg

What do you guys think about him?

Emstah
Oct. 8, 2006, 11:16 AM
I like him a lot! He may be a touch straight behind, but it's hard to tell without seeing him move. Othwise I think he's put together quite nicely! How far away are you?

No, no updates... I'm totally overwhelmed with work and getting ready for Radnor this weekend and trying to get my little navicular patient to see his vet that I haven't made the trip up to see Rumbles. Shame on me! I figure if he's still around when I can finally get there that it must be ment to be (or that he's not as nice as we think he is ;)). I'll be sure to keep you all posted as soon as any excitement happens! :)

frugalannie
Oct. 13, 2006, 02:20 PM
What's happened?

RiverBendPol
Oct. 13, 2006, 05:07 PM
Oh F.Annie-Poor Em. She is a wreck. It is all too much. Too much school, too many exams, too many lame horses(1), and now this wknd she's running at Radnor, as if she wasn't stressy enough! I *think* Rumbles is still there but she hasn't been to look. If he's there when she has time then we'll see but it is down at the bottom of the list this week. At least she's healthy.:)

frugalannie
Oct. 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
Glad to hear she's well, but sorry to hear that life isn't fun right now.

So is her Mum going to Radnor to cheer her on?

RiverBendPol
Oct. 14, 2006, 12:04 AM
NO, and I am F-R-A-N-T-I-C:eek: :no: :o

AppJumpr08
Oct. 14, 2006, 12:23 AM
Oh go look soon! I managed to find three at Suffock today.. (one for a friend and two for me...) I'm going to need some fellow COTHers to be in my "what the heck was I thinking getting a track baby in the fall?!?" clique

hehe

Good luck at Radnor this weekend! And I'm sure Rumbles is sitting at the track waiting for you!

annikak
Oct. 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
Goodness, that was a lovely chestnut back on page 2...fantastic back end! If I had not 2 (!) coming from CO, who I have never set eyes on, but for some reason are becoming stablemates to the others here, I would have to get him. If someone wants a lovely rescued TB from CO, I might just have to get him anyway!

So...really, it would be great to hear that RBP has a new horse from her lovely, albeit overwhelmed DD.

Can I also say what an enjoyable thread this is?;)

Emstah
Oct. 18, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ok, he's still there- the price has been reduced and I think I'm going to go on a road trip up there this weekend if I can convince my friend to come with!! EEEKK :)

Debbie
Oct. 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
What a good boy he is to wait patiently on you ALL this time! ;)

Can't wait to hear the outcome of the weekend field trip!

RiverBendPol
Oct. 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
You put Jules in the truck and GET MOOOOOOOOOVING. Yay Emstah!
Will he be for me or you? I got all teary over Mike today..............I think you should get 2. Dad will faint. Ben is ready to drive home for T-day in the truck and trailer. I prepared him yesterday. Oh Billay.

frugalannie
Oct. 18, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yay! Emstah's going to see Rumbles!

So, how was Radnor, and Pol, why are your eyes brimming about Mikey?

Tux61096
Oct. 19, 2006, 07:35 AM
maybe you want to take a peak at

http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Drumcliff-1.jpg

or http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Confused-1.jpg

I mean afterall, apparently you need 2 horses now!!! Have fun, I'm green with envy!

RiverBendPol
Oct. 19, 2006, 07:43 AM
Hey Tux, I LIKE those. Em, have a look. I happen to think you should be planning a long day of ogling! I do not like the bay's RF foot but I have a good farrier! Em is mad about liver chestnut.....

Good gravy, what am I doing???????????????????????? It is so peaceful here with 4, none of them in work.:(

Emstah
Oct. 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
I love that one "Confused" and I also really like http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Zabava-1.jpg

I'm going to make some calls this afternoon once I know for sure my buddy is in! She's driving up from NC for the weekend, so I feel kinda badly making her go another 1.5hrs north, BUT she's an old riding buddy who hasnt been doing the horses at all for the last few years and is really missing it, so I doubt she'll object :)

Emstah
Oct. 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
Ok, so I just called about Zabava. He's been turned out on a farm for the past three months- big plus! Unfortunately the farm he's on is just south of the Poconos which is about 2 hrs from me... I just don't know if I should make that haul with so many others so close by- but I really like him!! ha

Also, anyone who has done this buying directly off the track thing, please enlighten me! What is the norm for looking at these horses. What should I expect? Pat them in the stall? Jog the horse out, feel his legs and put him back? Hop on and ride around the parking lot? What usually goes down? Should I take my checkbook and trailer? Do you get a local vet to take x-rays and do a pre-purchase? I've never done the go-to-track-to-buy by myself before and I'm just not sure of the proper etiquette.

Also, is, "he's a turf type horse who would get a little sore after he was shod" code for "he's a big wuss who was lame all the time?" I need to be savvy with the lingo and code words before I head into this adventure!! Any tips= priceless :)

luveventing
Oct. 19, 2006, 02:11 PM
I have done this more than few times- try to schedule a few in one day. if they are on the track, you will want to schedule if you can after the track closes for the day (11 or later) the trainers wont be in as much of a rush and you'll feel you have more time. though some trainers hate staying late, so you may need to go during the track break. get the horse out of the stall. always have them jogged- a lot of times I ask if I can see the horse gallop. (if the horse is already going to the track that day, they can usually plan to send them up when you are around.)

I usually tell if I will like riding the horse based on how they gallop and the body language of the rider. sometimes they will lunge them or have a rider ride them in the ring up there. Always ASK to see as much as you can, they will only say no. I would NEVER buy a horse without watching it jog a few times. take a good look at their legs. racing will stress the weak aspects of their conformtation- so compare conformation to blemishes. it can be a telling story. they wil most likely jog a little tight -not necessarily SORE, but revved up and let to sit tight. you can usually leave a small deposit. I always leave JUST enough that if they were to take off with it, I would be ok. just that you leave money they know you are serious and MOST trainers will respect that and not do anything too slimey.

but money is how this business works. if you are up for a risk, make a lower cash offer and take it home that day. ESPECIALLY this time of year. you can call around and see if you can find a vet that would at least do flexions, but a full prepurchase takes a bit of time to schedule. (in my experience) usually at least a week. most trainers understand. but I would start making some phone calls to the vets NOW.

I am not sure what "turf type" horse means. generally at PA national the turf horses havent run much, there arent a lot of turf horse races. I dont know about the foot soreness, but that is REALLY common in the racehorses. if you have some experience with track horses you can usually tell what is "track" soreness that will resolve easily and what is lameness brewing. some horses look TERRIBLE at the track, but a few weeks later look great. but if you arent familiar with the common ouchiness of a track horse, dont risk it. if a horse looks gimpy, pass. I usually do flexions and xray anything the vet is sketchy on. ask if the horse has ever been on lasix (indicates the horse was a bleeder, only an issue for upper levels, but good to know)

It is a bit intimidating at first- jsut remember they wont always TELL you everything, you have to ASK. ask LOTS of questions, watch the horse jog a time or two, closely look at legs and feel for heat if you can. (be careful they are usually WOUND up with the chill of the fall!!!)

ask questions! -
does the horse crib, has it colicked, has it had time off for injury, how is he to gallop, what do the exercise riders think of him, how is he in the gate, how has he been racing. by asking a lot of questions, even ones that have nothing to do with what YOU are going to do with the horse, you can figure out a bit about the horse peronsality and usually if you can get the trainers talking, you can figure out if they are feeding you a bunch of crap or not. sometimes they disclose some info. without meaning to if you get them talking.

hope this helps. feel free to PM me with if I can help anymore!!!!

Oct. 19, 2006, 02:17 PM
I have not bought thru the Canter Org I go directly to Phila Park. I am lucky in that I have a very very good ex eventer turned exerciser rider down there that hooks me up w/event types that are sound & sane. I also now primarily deal w/one trainer. I usually have my friend check out horses legs, soundness & talk to trainer & exercise rider before I go. Then I show up, watch him jog and put him on the trailer :). I have only had one horse vetted due to the fact that someone else was footing the bill and he was a resale investment for them. He also was at the breeding farm so I could have my vet do it. Im not saying that is the best way to do it but Ive been lucky so far. The one thing I would definitly look for is colic scar on the belly.
Good luck~ i think i like the one up by the Poconos the best ;)

Tux61096
Oct. 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
Doubtful you'd be able to sit on one at the track, as you have to have a rider's license. Usually, the trainer or groom will pull the horse out for you to look over, and jog in hand for you. Sometimes the trainer will give permission for you to go into the stall if you want to check out their behavior in there. If you want to see more of the horse in action, you can ask the trainer when/if the horse is going to do a daily work, gives you a chance to see the horse trot/gallop under tack and how easy or rank he is.

Not sure how Penn works, but at Suffolk you need to schedule with one of the track licensed veterinarians to do a pre-purchase or do the exam off track.

Contacting the local CANTER rep for their impressions of specific horses or trainers can be helpful and have a blast!!

frugalannie
Oct. 19, 2006, 03:19 PM
Hey, Emstah. How was Radnor?

I second all said above about seeing horses on the track. I've read on this BB that some people have been able to ride a horse at the track, but it has never happened at Suffolk as far as I know.

As said, they pull them out, walk them a little then trot them in a straight line away and towards you. I generally run my fingers down their necks, across their shoulders, down their spines (actually on the muscle on either side) and then down the hind quarters. If they don't react to any of that (and I've had a few nearly fall down!) I start checking over the legs. Don't be surprised if the horse has NO heel: seems to be the way they shoe them on the track.

Yeah, it's a little bit of buying a pig in a poke, compared to the trial period and everything else we're used to in the outside world, but these horses so deserve a chance to live with you and your Mom!

Also agree with the point that cash not only talks on the track, it shouts out loud.

By the way: Zabava means big dance/ party. I think you should buy him just based on his name!

CSSporthorses
Oct. 19, 2006, 04:49 PM
If you feel either of these critters will be suitable for what you are looking for, then I definately suggest pulling the trailer. I assume a checkbook is appropriate, but usually I am pulling off the track in rescue situations/give a ways or minimal funds where cash is an option. What you will want to do is set up an appointment with the trainer(s) in question, make sure you write down their names and barn number. When you get to the gate, you will need that to gain access as not all trainers remember to put your name or information at the gate. If you are hauling a trailer in, they will ask you if you're empty and some guards will actually want to take a peak inside the trailer. Unless the trainer gave you good directions to negotiate the backside, make sure you ask at the gate so you have easier access to the barn in question... If you are looking at multiple horses, you may want to ask the guard where the best place would be to park your rig so you don't end up in anyone's way.

Unless you've set up an appointment with a vet, the chances of getting any xrays/pre-purchase is slim to none. The trainer will not be against you doing flexions or hoof tests (if you have your own pair of testers). I've been to Philly's backside and there may be the option of lunging. The grooms, however, will be more then happy to trot them out for you. I know Philly's track break is @ 830 and I think its for 30 mins. Normally everyone is clearing out by 11. If you want to see the horse jog out without wraps and/or politice, make mention of that when you set up appointments and they'll try their best to work something out for you.

A good friend in PA has good connections at Philly and has made some recent ones at Penn National. She has her owner's license and is preparing to take her trainer's test. If you want to speak to her, let me know and I'll get you her number. Usually though, if you're seriously interested in certain ones, I'd definately suggest taking your trailer and finding out what the best means of payment would be. A lot of times, with cold hard cash in hand, you are able to negotiate the prices down. Its hard for them to turn away cash. Philly does not close for the season, don't know about Penn, but the trainers are still always looking to move horses ... Good luck and hope you have nice weather for your trip this weekend. Oh and normally you will not be able to sit on them. If you get there early enough (ask when they may be training said horse) you can at least follow to the oval and watch them work.

Emstah
Oct. 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
Wow everyone- Thank you! This is great :) Now I'm getting excited and nervous, haha. I think no matter what I'm going to learn a lot on this trip!

subk
Oct. 19, 2006, 06:24 PM
Spend a few dollars and get a Brisnet report on the few horses you know your interested in before you go. Look for gaps in the horse's start dates as these might indicate down time for an injury. You don't necessarily have to tell the trainer you know the horses specific record--it might be an indicator of whether the trainer is giving you the straight line.

hunt_jumpfl
Oct. 19, 2006, 06:29 PM
Have fun, I'm jealous...I've been drooling over some of those cuties and keep hoping they will post a photo of Smokeunderthehood (the trainer with Zabava has him listed).

Loves to ride
Oct. 23, 2006, 09:41 AM
Emstah - know you're busy, any updates? All of us COTH eventers want to know if you had any luck? :)

RiverBendPol
Oct. 23, 2006, 05:57 PM
Emstah - know you're busy, any updates? All of us COTH eventers want to know if you had any luck? :)

Oh LTR, it just stinks...Em and her pal were all set to spend the morning Saturday at the track but Rumbles' trainer never called her back. They had had a good convo Thursday or maybe Friday and then nothing to confirm. Pew. Trouble is, the longer it takes, the more she finds to look at!
:eek: Also, Zabava is 'on the farm' another 1 1/2-2 hours away. Anyhow, I guess we all just have to sit back and twiddle our thumbs while Emstah does silly things like go to school, take exams, train and compete her own horse. Honestly.

Loves to ride
Oct. 24, 2006, 08:50 AM
RBP, Thanks for the info!

Emstah - you have my respect for being able to go to school and compete! Kudos to you, and everyone else able to do it. I do the family, horses and a demanding job but for some reason, doing college and horses way back when seemed much harder! :yes:

Emstah
Oct. 24, 2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks LTR- It is tough, but I'm not sure I would have made it through school without my beasties! Being able to hop in my truck and drive away from all the chaos and stress that happens in this town and go play with my ponies has definitly kept me sane through it all!

I'm going to call the trainers again today along with some others. Besides Rumbles and Confused, I want to see Slim Jim http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/LongFamilyCalling-2.jpg

Musical Merle http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/MusicalMerle-2.jpg

Fire Mound http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/FireMound-1.jpg

LaststagetoBoston http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Laststagetoboston-2.jpg

And Eighty One South http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/EightyOneSouth-1.jpg

I'm hoping at least a couple of the trainers will call me back or have time to meet with me!! :)

Debbie
Oct. 24, 2006, 09:53 AM
81 South... oh my, he's a hottie. Good luck! I think once you get on the backside you'll see a lot more horses than are even listed.

annikak
Oct. 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
I love that one "Confused" and I also really like http://www.canterusa.org/pennsylvania/horses/images/Zabava-1.jpg

:)

thats a lovely horse! Wow!

I really like eightyonesouth, too- she seems like a very nice mare!

Xctrygirl
Oct. 24, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hey Emstah,

Want another Emily along for the trip??? Plus I am a "trackie" (Worse than a trekkie!!)..... Can I come and bring my digital camera and maybe video cam as well?

Did I mention that I am dually liscensed in Pa as a Ex. rider and asst. trainer?

Call me

(301) 455 1649

(The other) ~Emily

RiverBendPol
Oct. 24, 2006, 08:05 PM
Oh BOY, NOW I AM FEELING REEEEEEALLY LEFT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emstah, you better call her. Maybe Dutchess might even go along for the ride. Mabella would LOVE that.

I gotta say, I don't like Musical Merle's LF. How old is that white faced one??? I don't like the white eye roll much. Is that black one a mare? I bet she cribs. I do like 81 south.

Any news from any trainers?

Xctrygirl
Oct. 24, 2006, 08:37 PM
Guys I know its not entirely easy to see but, this race schedule concerns me a bit:

From www.calracing.com

PEN 09/28/2006 7
PEN 09/21/2006 4
PEN 09/07/2006 7
PEN 08/24/2006 6
PEN 08/10/2006 5
PEN 05/24/2006 6
PEN 05/12/2006 6
PEN 04/29/2006 2
PEN 04/06/2006 9
PEN 03/25/2006 4

The number after is the race number.

She broke her maiden on 4/29

Even still she has run a little too often for comfort. I know the trainer through my old boss. And I'd be curious what he says as he is her owner as well.

And surely there are many nice horses who have run more as well.

Just some thoughts.

~Emily

Wind
Oct. 25, 2006, 09:05 AM
Just curious, has anybody ever bought any OTTB's from trainer Scott Lake? I happened to buy one from a girl whose aunt (in Philadelpha, PA I believe this woman does some TB rescue) is contacted by Scott Lake when he has horses that are no longer "cutting it" on the race track.

RiverBendPol
Oct. 27, 2006, 12:02 AM
Yo, Emstah. Any connection with trainers today?? I might go to Suffolk.........Carol wants to come for the ride........:winkgrin: Hola, Senor. Quieres venir a mi casa?:winkgrin:

eks
Oct. 27, 2006, 12:17 AM
You need to get Gator!!!! Talk about a regal looking boy!

RiverBendPol
Oct. 27, 2006, 08:05 AM
You need to get Gator!!!! Talk about a regal looking boy!
*GAWD* EKS!!!! He's the one! Isn't he amazing? Look at his FACE!:eek: Talk about having "the look".(do I care that he has extra parts? I think not, if he really doesn't know they exist!)

eks
Oct. 27, 2006, 10:22 AM
I have been drooling over him for a long time now....his eye is UNREAL! Best of luck...I hope your daughter has some luck with Rumbles. How exciting for you guys!

Oct. 27, 2006, 11:54 AM
Which one is Gator?

Xctrygirl
Oct. 27, 2006, 12:32 PM
Senor Gator is from Suffolk:

Pic: http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/images-salehorses/SenorGator.JPG

Info: http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/trainerlistings.htm

~Emily

solargal
Oct. 27, 2006, 02:33 PM
Just curious, has anybody ever bought any OTTB's from trainer Scott Lake? I happened to buy one from a girl whose aunt (in Philadelpha, PA I believe this woman does some TB rescue) is contacted by Scott Lake when he has horses that are no longer "cutting it" on the race track.

Don't. Just don't. Too many bad test that guy.

PEN 09/28/2006 7
PEN 09/21/2006 4
PEN 09/07/2006 7
PEN 08/24/2006 6
PEN 08/10/2006 5
PEN 05/24/2006 6
PEN 05/12/2006 6
PEN 04/29/2006 2
PEN 04/06/2006 9
PEN 03/25/2006 4

The number after is the race number.

She broke her maiden on 4/29

Even still she has run a little too often for comfort. I know the trainer through my old boss. And I'd be curious what he says as he is her owner as well.

And surely there are many nice horses who have run more as well.

Personally, if she has been running bad, running that often is a PLUS. It means she isn't sore or not too much. At the small tracks trainers don't wait every 4 weeks to race their horses. This is the norm. If she is running badly or not bringing in checks all the more reason the trainer wants to sell her especially if he owns her. No trainer/owner is keeping a horse that isn't making money. She looks great to me.

kcooper
Oct. 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
Senor Gator is owned by the same family as this mare, Lady Conveyor, that I saw down there and just LOVED. Definately check her out Pol. I really wanted to take her home myself, but could not risk a divorce. She is super sweet and has "the look."

http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/images-salehorses/LadyConveyorNEW.jpg

Tux61096
Oct. 27, 2006, 08:28 PM
Go, RBP, go!

Senor Gator has been on my favorites list since he appeared! Tried to convince a friend to pick him up, but she didn't want to deal with "brain surgury" for him; I was so bummed, but now I could watch him blossom under your wonderful tutelage! :)

Please, I need to event vicariously through others (preferably, others in Area1 so I can see them go!!).

RiverBendPol
Oct. 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
Senor Gator is owned by the same family as this mare, Lady Conveyor, that I saw down there and just LOVED. Definately check her out Pol. I really wanted to take her home myself, but could not risk a divorce. She is super sweet and has "the look."

http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/images-salehorses/LadyConveyorNEW.jpg
Thanks, Katharine.........I do have some concerns of my own regarding the 'divorce factor' !!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Wind
Oct. 28, 2006, 05:42 PM
Solargal if you are out there, I PM'd you.

RiverBendPol
Oct. 29, 2006, 09:48 AM
Em-ya wanna do a little research on Senor Gator for me? I have a date with him tomorrow morning.:winkgrin: Thanks.

Xctrygirl
Oct. 29, 2006, 11:48 AM
Ok will do... will add to this post what I find.

~Emily

Hey Pol, need your email. Have his lifetime charts. Short version is this, he should have been retired many times over. The people who have him have had him a few years. He should be a give away.

Xctrygirl
Oct. 29, 2006, 12:27 PM
OK found email. Sent to Yahoo acct.

Call me for additional thoughts. (301) 455-1649. If you'd like.

Ja Da Dee
Oct. 29, 2006, 07:49 PM
Gator is lovely. If I was looking, I would be looking hard at this guy too, he's short but then, so am I. He's got a great look to him, and TONS of bone.

http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/images-salehorses/TerryDancer.JPG

RiverBendPol
Oct. 30, 2006, 06:10 PM
Confused is sold-Em spoke with his trainer today. Senor Gator is still at Suffolk. Maybe GansMyMan will head over there soon! :)

HopefulEventer
Nov. 1, 2006, 01:42 AM
"If its our destiny" seems like a real nice looking mare

http://canterusa.org/newengland/sale/images-salehorses/IfItsOurDestiny.jpg

If you find your eye wandering to big, bold, athletic grays: you'll love "If Its Our Destiny"! Her sire, Roanoke, is known for producing excellent sporthorses, and Destiny shows all the right signs. She looks taller than her 16 hands, with a substantial build and great bone, and is a very flashy girl. Destiny is high-spirited (though not mean) and best matched with a confident rider. Price: $2,500 OBO. Call Carlos at 603-275-2640. (trainer can be hard to understand on the phone - if you'd like to come see Destiny at the track in person on a Saturday morning, contact CANTER: adoptne@canterusa.org)

HAha, that's my exact description. Big, bold, athletic grays are my favorite. I have a soft spot for grays :yes:

annikak
Nov. 1, 2006, 08:27 AM
This is who is coming home to MI because of this thread- amazing my DH has not blocked the COTH- we have added 2 this month, and adopted another one that Shiloh Acres found a home for in CO....

Meet Money Clip, now named Standing Order- Long story, but it makes sense in our life!

kcooper
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yippee!! Congratulations!

Debbie
Nov. 1, 2006, 09:54 AM
Good job annikak! He is lovely.