PDA

View Full Version : Stardoozer, Olivier and Sadie (the dog) are going to Germany

imajicadutch
Sep. 22, 2006, 06:00 PM
To train with Klaus Balkenhol for two months, although I think he won't help much with Sadie.
Thanks to some wonderful and generous sponsors, the kid from the north is leaving on Sunday morning for points east.

She will be sending her impressions on a regular basis which I think she will be posting on her website:

www.elisabethaustin.com

Okay, just another proud mother here, but wouldn't you be?

yaya
Sep. 22, 2006, 06:05 PM
Does the dog have to go through quarantine too when shipped internationally?

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 22, 2006, 06:42 PM
How wonderful!!! Please post updates and pictures so we can live vicariously through her! And by the way, the pork is wonderful there.

AlteredExistence
Sep. 22, 2006, 07:23 PM
Not to be a bitch or anything, but do you or your daughter ever post anything besides brags about yourselves, or more specifically, about her? I've never seen one thread from either of you that's not bragging about her accomplishments or one of your stallions. Perhaps you should consider sharing some of your supposed vast knowledge with the rest of us instead of just gloating about your fortunes.

canyonoak
Sep. 22, 2006, 07:55 PM
congratulations to Liz and Olivier--I think KB is beginning to realize he is going to have to start creating the next generation of riders and not just sit back to see what and who makes it to GP.

I think this kind of help will do more to create a new level of dressage in this country than almost any one other single thing.

SandyUHC
Sep. 22, 2006, 08:21 PM
Glad you aren't being a bitch, AlteredExistance. I have a hard time imagining how unpleasant that would be.

(And, uh, did you miss the part about sharing the experience on the website? I thought so.)

im...dutch, even if all 85 of your posts were about YOU YOU YOU and your KID KID KID I'm not jealous. Congrats on your daughter's good fortune and I hope her experience is fabulous!

blueribbonbaby
Sep. 22, 2006, 08:56 PM
Wow, that was incredibly rude. I am on another BB that Elizabeth posts on all the time. She is very humble. Never posts about herself. We all do it for her:winkgrin: because we are not jealous of her, we are very happy for her. We are very proud of her and wish her all the best!! You go get em, girl!!!!!!! She is very talented. Some people are jealous of that i guess:no:

egontoast
Sep. 22, 2006, 08:56 PM
Congraulations on your good news!

I'm betting AE is Dressage Guy. His posts tend to be whiney and nasty like that.

imajicadutch
Sep. 22, 2006, 08:57 PM
Thank you.

imajicadutch
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:02 PM
Egontoast, glad you said it. I thought the same thing.

StarDoozer
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:03 PM
Not to be a bitch or anything, but do you or your daughter ever post anything besides brags about yourselves, or more specifically, about her? I've never seen one thread from either of you that's not bragging about her accomplishments or one of your stallions. Perhaps you should consider sharing some of your supposed vast knowledge with the rest of us instead of just gloating about your fortunes.

Sorry you feel that way.

I hope good fortune finds you too, and enjoy it while it lasts. I know I sure am.

Liz

Karoline
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:07 PM
its always a pleasure to read your daughter's posts and see Fizzie. I have been a fan of hers since American Pie. I look forward to pictures, posts and seeing Fizz take over America (and the world) when he comes home. Beautiful horse mind and body.

dirteater
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:11 PM

You know, I so very seldom ever get involved in online drama like this, but I really need to say something here. I'm so excited for Elizabeth and Fizzy and wish one day to have the 10th of the success that they have. I'm very much looking forward to reading about her experiences in Germany. I'm sorry your life is so disappointing that you need to take your aggressions out on a kid, but you need to back off and find something else to do. Don't ruin it for the rest of us, and don't hide behind an alter. At least have the balls to use your usual screen name. And if you think that I'm not this outspoken in real life, and I'm hiding behind the safety and anonymity of the internet, no, I'm really this firm in real life too.

Horsedances
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:21 PM
Let me put in my 50 cents. IMHO Liz and her family are doing a wonderfull job for the future of USA dressage. She spend tons of time trying to find sponsors, arrange Internet-auctions etc..etc...

Come on: scratch the words envy, sore grapes, jealous etc... from your dictionary, and put your energies in something positive.

Theo

physical.energy
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:23 PM
Someone must have a pathetic little life to hide behind an alter and dish out shi!e like it was morning cereal. If your so bloody big then why ya hiddin and picking on another COTH members happiness? And so what if they have good things happen to them.... were here to enjoy each others happiness as well as the bad times. So if ya have nothin better to do than be a negative tosser then bugger off! :yes: :cool:

I think it is great this is happening by the way and congrats.... I got so carried away schooling AE.

DressageGuy
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
Now how the hell did my name get dragged into this? I don't know who the hell AE is, but she/he/it sure as hell isn't me. I talk to Liz online quite a bit, and I've congratulated her several times on this opportunity. I hope they have a ton of fun over there, and I wish them the best of luck.

Dalfan
Sep. 22, 2006, 09:39 PM
gloating about your fortunes

It doesn't appear to me that "fortune" or "luck" has anything to do with their success . I would imagine YEARS of effort/ hard work have gotten them to where they are today. Good Luck!!

YankeeLawyer
Sep. 22, 2006, 10:23 PM

Well, I for one really enjoy hearing updates about the Austins. I am a big fan of Olivier and think it is so great to see we have such an amazing youngster born and bred in the US.

I was recently at a clinic with one of the members of our 2004 Olympic team and that rider/trainer absolutely raved about him.

So if you don't enjoy reading these posts, then just use your ignore button. As an aside, if you want to criticize posters for sharing success stories, there is a long, long line of posters ahead of imajicadutch to slam.

imajicadutch
Sep. 22, 2006, 11:04 PM
Bringing children up to be good people, to do the right thing, to be forthright, honest and kind, is more than the icing on the cake. It is the cake.

Bringing competitive dressage horses to the international level
without injury, illness or any other heartbreak, well, then, there is the icing.

I count my blessings every day. Those of you who say good things and think good thoughts for these two lovelies, thank you.

BravAddict
Sep. 22, 2006, 11:11 PM
Holy crow. I've talked to Liz on a limited basis and she's an incredibly down-to-earth person who loves her horse. I've met plenty of people who go through horses like water. She's refreshingly DESERVING.
Congratulations! Have fun over there!

friesian4me
Sep. 22, 2006, 11:18 PM
You must be very proud of both your daughter and your horse. Liz- all your hard work has paid off. I really enjoy hearing about your accomplishments. Don't stop keeping us informed. Have a great time!

yaya
Sep. 22, 2006, 11:26 PM
My question was a serious one. I have never brought a pet with me internationally and remember reading about Debbie McDonald having her puppy with her at WEG, so I thought I'd ask. (I've only imported horses from Europe, not brought animals in the other direction.)

Is there a lot of hoopla to go through to bring a dog with you, or do you just have to present a health certificate and head on your way?

Dawn J-L
Sep. 22, 2006, 11:28 PM
Congrats to Elisabeth and Fizzie!!! Have a grand time in Germany!!!

Back when Tafts Corners was still rural, I went to watch a college acquaintance have a lesson with Madeleine, and I saw little Elisabeth with her pony Mrs. B. (I think that was her name; that little pony was quite a character and had the run of the old Imagica). The kid was talented then, but it took work to get where she is now. Bravo.

YankeeLawyer
Sep. 22, 2006, 11:37 PM
My question was a serious one. I have never brought a pet with me internationally and remember reading about Debbie McDonald having her puppy with her at WEG, so I thought I'd ask. (I've only imported horses from Europe, not brought animals in the other direction.)

Is there a lot of hoopla to go through to bring a dog with you, or do you just have to present a health certificate and head on your way?

England requires dogs to go through a 6-month quarantine period. I do not believe that other European countries quarantine dogs.

Sabine
Sep. 23, 2006, 12:15 AM
congratulations to Liz and Olivier--I think KB is beginning to realize he is going to have to start creating the next generation of riders and not just sit back to see what and who makes it to GP.

I think this kind of help will do more to create a new level of dressage in this country than almost any one other single thing.

Second that- the old guy is doing the right thing and hopefully beginning a good new practice and I hope he does wonders with your daughter- she sure looks very talented and the horse is a dream...all the best to both of you- and tell her-- KB's thighs are legendary....there is nothing that can withstand that power...LOL!

Sabine
Sep. 23, 2006, 12:17 AM
England requires dogs to go through a 6-month quarantine period. I do not believe that other European countries quarantine dogs.

no they don't - I used to vacation in Germany every summer for 3 months- when my kids were little- took my hunting and working dog along- in a kennel- needs health and rabies cert- but that's all...and we had the best times- in Germany..riding and hunting...:)

yaya
Sep. 23, 2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks! I knew about England's requirements, but didn't know about "the Continent".

Dressage Art
Sep. 23, 2006, 01:04 AM
Congratulations Liz, Liz's mom and Fizzie!!!

I'm glad that people like Liz and her mom post on internet and don't hide themselves behind the bb name. It's refreshing to meet real people with real success stories on BB.

I'm sure if Liz's mom posted something along the lines: my daughter cantered today for the first time - she wouldn't have experienced a nasty reply.

For the ones who are so jealous of Liz and her mom, they still have a long way to go to Olympics and I hope that Liz will still post on BB after she'll place at the top in the world competition. I'm enjoying watching the journey.

Bogey2
Sep. 23, 2006, 06:38 AM
Congratulations and have a great time Liz! Please write something for the local GMO if you will! We would love to see some pictures and stories in The TIP!

DownYonder
Sep. 23, 2006, 07:02 AM
Phooey on Altered Existence - what a rotten thing to say about a very nice horse and a lovely young rider who has worked her tail off to bring him up the levels.

I say big congrats to Liz and Fizzy! They are a super pair and they both deserve this opportunity. Best of luck to them!

And no, dogs coming from the U.S. (with proper health and vaccination records) don't have to go through quarantine to get into Germany. Holly Simensen of the Oldenburg Verband office in Florida frequently takes her dog(s) with her to Germany.

Equibrit
Sep. 23, 2006, 07:51 AM
For anybody that cares to get the CORRECT information, it is here: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/uk.html ENGLAND http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/ge.html GERMANY

Quote;
Cats, Dogs, and Ferrets (non-commercial english-only) - March 2005 - Please Note: As a member of the European Community, the UK is adopting the PET PASSPORT (Veterinary Certificate application) system for importing cats, dogs and ferrets. The PET Scheme will be in effect only until the current documents have exhausted their validity dates. The Veterinary Certificate indicates which boxes apply to the UK and need to be completed. Also, note that the animals still need to be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies, titered, and monitored by the owner during the 6 months between the date of titer draw and date of rabies validity. Defra recognized blood testing laboratories, Tick and Tapeworm Treatment Form and Approved Long Haul routes and transport companies, may be found here. (Click on the desired linked documents as just listed.) Further information may be found at the Defra Website:

Sunshine06
Sep. 23, 2006, 08:06 AM
Liz,
my very best wishes to you & your family on this new adventure. Keep your eyes wide open - there is soooo much to learn ! This could not have happened to a more earnest and hard working person !

Katja:)

egontoast
Sep. 23, 2006, 08:20 AM
Now how the hell did my name get dragged into this?

Careful, 2 faced one. You can play the outraged innocent as much as you like but many of us have read your tirades about this subject and others elsewhere.

These things can be checked, you know.;)

XHalt
Sep. 23, 2006, 08:31 AM
Liz-
I'll be thinking about you and Fizzy tomorrow. Have a safe trip and enjoy every minute of it! See you in Vegas in April. :) Faye

dalpal
Sep. 23, 2006, 09:00 AM
Congratulations....how exciting for you and your family. Please, please update us along the way.

I read the article about this on www.dressagedaily.com

Mary in Area 1
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah Liz and Fizzy! We are all so excited for you! Especially since now we can brag that we are from Vermont, too.

I'm sure we'll see you with Tuny this winter. You'll love working with her and Klaus.

And AE, for your information, Liz is one of the very few young riders who talks to everyone and is friendly and helpful to "unknowns". When my daughter was inquiring about YR's, she was snubbed by most of the snobby YR's who talk only to their friends and their trainers. Liz has been extremely nice and open to her and talked and emailed and IM'd her when she had questions. THAT is also worth bragging about!

And as a mom, I'd be ALL over the internet if Liz was MY kid!!!

claire
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:24 AM
Congratulations to you and your daughter! Please continue to keep everyone updated with stories and pix?! :D

Erin
Sep. 23, 2006, 12:03 PM
Now how the hell did my name get dragged into this? I don't know who the hell AE is, but she/he/it sure as hell isn't me.

Care to explain how the two of you have had an IP address in common in the past then?

physical.energy
Sep. 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
Go Erin Go Erin Go Erin Go Erin GO Erin.

Busted Busta!!! It's not nice to be mean to other people!

DressageGuy
Sep. 23, 2006, 01:13 PM
So what was the IP from the post on this thread? Because I can guarantee it didn't come from my computer or my keyboard. I will say one more time, that post was not mine, period.

Dressage Art
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:06 PM
yeah, it was a big elefant in your room that used your keyboard and your computer. We understand, that happends.

You asked how to make a living with horses on the other post. TIP: don't piss off people who own them.

Erin
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:13 PM
So what was the IP from the post on this thread? Because I can guarantee it didn't come from my computer or my keyboard. I will say one more time, that post was not mine, period.

Of course you can guarantee that. You know the IPs don't match, don't you?

Probably because you spoofed it, or purposefully made the post from a different computer, knowing that I can check IPs.

But the registration IPs match. Not to mention that anyone who has followed your posting exploits could note the similarities.

So either you apologize, or you get banned. Pick your poison.

DressageGuy
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:23 PM
I'm not going to apologize for posting something that I did not post. Period. Ban me, see if I care.

DressageGuy
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:27 PM
Btw, I wouldn't have the foggiest how to "spoof" an IP address. We've only got one computer here, so that rules out that theory as well.

Erin
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
My pleasure.

Tarheel Eventer
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well, with that little unpleasant business out of the way, back to the OP.
Congratulations to Elisabeth & Olivier. What an awesome opportunity for such a talented pair. I can't wait to read about your adventures "over there."

egontoast
Sep. 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
Care to explain how the two of you have had an IP address in common in the past then?

Thank you, Erin.

kkj
Sep. 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
That negative post was bizarre. I don't see how anyone can feel that way about Elisabeth & Olivier. I don't just hope they go all the way, I really want them too. Elisabeth is so talented, nice and down to earth and Olivier is a home grown one in a million superstar. They are the one team I really pull for. I hope that American bred unapproved Dutch stallion with some cart horse and jumping bloodlines wins the gold medal one day but only if Elisabeth is the one riding him. If I could dream up the perfect horse it would look like him.

I also hope the KWPN sees this stallion who is so fabulous and in my opinion much nicer than many KWPN approved stallions and rethinks its specialization track for dressage horses and the dying out of Gelderlander bloodlines. Olivier is the type of horse all US dressage breeders should strive to breed.

Anyone would be estatic to breed such an animal. If I had a daughter like Elisabeth and a horse like Olivier, I would be bragging too.

slc2
Sep. 23, 2006, 06:16 PM
AE, what a nasty b*tch you are!

it also carries with it the idea that a few months with klaus is some sort of leisurely vacation, which shows how much you don't know.

it does have the usual boringly snide-ass nasty tone of dressage guy, but i thought that only a portion of the isp showed, and that two people could have the same isp displaying to the admin.

DQ2 (formerly MM2)
Sep. 23, 2006, 06:24 PM
I, for one, can not wait to hear more of Liz & Fizzy's adventures.

It's sad that sometimes people are jealous instead of happy for someone who's worked hard for what they have. I don't know Liz or her Mom, but the posts I have read of hers have always been gracious. I wish her the best and would ask if anyone knows of a magical shrinking ray gun so I might conceal myself in her luggage and tag along. :D It's gonna be a great experience.

Timex
Sep. 23, 2006, 06:40 PM
congratulations!!!!!!!

slc2
Sep. 23, 2006, 06:42 PM
i like the reports too.

slc

mazu
Sep. 23, 2006, 07:06 PM
Congratulations to all of you! I'll be following the reports.

rebecca yount
Sep. 23, 2006, 08:51 PM
I can attest to the humility, hard work, and good upbringing of Elisabeth. My trainer and I visited their farm in Vermont in February 2006, and this good fortune could not happen to a nicer girl. The entire experience of seeing the horse there could not have been more UNpretentious or welcoming. As the mother of a 19-year-old, about whom I brag all the time, I can understand the pride Madeline must feel about this wonderful opportunity which her daughter has earned. You should be very proud and Jean Paul, Samra, and I congratulate you. We are looking forward to hearing reports about your experiences. Rebecca

Dinahmare
Sep. 23, 2006, 09:28 PM
This young woman is incredibly talented and very nice. I've heard that she can make almost any horse look wonderful. Madeline has every right to be proud of this girl. I'm sure many of us are looking forward to seeing Liz go all the way to the Olympics and to do that her Mom has to be her cheerleader.

retrofit
Sep. 23, 2006, 09:29 PM
Just wanted to add my congrats & well wishes to Liz. I really enjoyed the DD article on you & your horses and I look forward to following your journey on your web site.

YoungFilly
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:44 PM
Congraulations on your good news!

I'm betting AE is Dressage Guy. His posts tend to be whiney and nasty like that.

Thats not Dressage Guy. But whoever that is, its someone who posts here regularly, I can detect some of the same bitterness towards me going to Europe to buy a horse. YankeeLawyer, I think you saw it a while ago in a differet post too. ??? I don't want to say who I think it is.

But anyway, how cool is that!!! Going to Europe to train with Klaus. Wow! That has to be the opportunity of a lifetime! I saw something in DT, and UDBB. Now, really, she is planning on staying in the horse community for a while to share her knowledge? :)

Sabine
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:48 PM
Thats not Dressage Guy. But whoever that is, its someone who posts here regularly, I can detect some of the same bitterness towards me going to Europe to buy a horse. YankeeLawyer, I think you saw it a while ago in a differet post too. ??? I don't want to say who I think it is.

:)

I agree with YF- definitely not Dressage Guy- this is someone else- and very eh....unbalanced to say the least.

YoungFilly
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:54 PM

You know Dressage Guy, you are done with that statement. Good luck to you, you mean, meaningless peice of junk.

Erin, good work.

Sabine
Sep. 24, 2006, 12:03 AM
WOW- I guess I am getting old quickly- can't believe what's going on here... and don't understand how this could be----????
Oh well- I guess ERin has the info- so there is the proof!

Too bad DG- I thought you had more class than that...I can't believe it...???!!!

Chipngrace
Sep. 24, 2006, 12:06 AM
Go Erin :)

And congrats Elizabeth, I've read a lot of your posts on her and TOB... I love the videos of Fizzy and Tweakie. Have fun in Germany!!

mbamissaz
Sep. 24, 2006, 12:39 AM
I can't believe some people....anyway....Madeleine and Elisabeth are both good people and it is unfortunate that some people just can't get past their own issues.

Congratulations Liz (and you too Mom!) for all of your accomplishments.....and we can't wait to hear all about Germany!!!

BostonBanker
Sep. 24, 2006, 09:37 AM
As someone who has been a long time boarder at Imajica, I can tell you that I would be hard-pressed to find someone more generous with their knowledge than Liz. She's the first one to ask how your ride was, stick her head in the indoor to watch for a moment, offer suggestions, and, on those days where nothing is going right, hop on your horse for you.

She is insanely proud of her horse, and has every right to be. I brag to people about the fact that I know them! And talk about generosity - she even let me ride Fizzy one day when I was having a crappy time with my horse (and perhaps the most generous one of all, Fizzy was wonderfully kind to me). See, now I'm bragging;)

I'm so excited for them, and can't wait to hear all about the trip. Although I wish she'd Fed-Ex Sadie back - my dog is going to be lost without her best friend!

Horsedances
Sep. 24, 2006, 10:17 AM
I still can remember how I became a sponsor for the Dutch junior and Youngriders team. Marlies van Baalen called me an told me that she was selected for the European Championship at Helsinki Finland. However she had one big problem the Dutch Equestrian Federation had booked a boat-trip for the horses. To cut a long story short, she asked me if I could sponsor a flight to Helsinki for her horse. When I agreed with Marlies, all other riders called me with the same question. So i had to raise my sponsorbudget to almost 100.000 US$. Happily Johan Hinneman called me that the Dutch team could fly with the German team, so the costs dropped to US$ 30.000,=, and I didn't have to sell my sailboat.:D

Two years ago Liz , but also Lauren Spieser and some other YoungRiders from the USA contacted me with the question if I wanted to sponsor a freestyle to music for an auction they had set up to cover the costs of their training and clinics. Very nice girls with a determination to make the absolute best out of their dressage-life. For obvious reasons I got a déja vu, and said YES, because I know from my 25-years of experience in this dressage-circus that their way of looking at things is the best way to get to the top. The way to the top imho opinion is to eat dressage, drink dressage and don't take NO or IMPOSSIBLE for an answer. And when you are arrived at the top, sponsors and horseowners are waiting in line to put their money on you and your horse. This might not be the situation in the USA today, but wait untill one of these youngsters win Gold at the Olympics.

reidsporthorses.nz
Sep. 24, 2006, 01:05 PM
go LIZ and FIZZY!!

i'll be looking forward to reports and photos.

imajicadutch
Sep. 24, 2006, 06:16 PM
I literally JUST got back from taking them to JFK...a seven and a half hour trip for us. Fortunately, I was able to watch when Fizzy was loaded onto the pallet and into the plane (with Lizzie in front of him). That box looked awfully small compared to the gaping maw of the front of the 747.
I was not able to give Lizzie a goodbye hug, as the ElAl folks would not let her come down to the tarmac once she was on board. So we waved and made the "call me" sign.
Sadie, the dog, got permission to travel on the flight deck as opposed to in the belly of the plane.
I just checked one of the flight tracking sites and the plane has landed in Amsterdam.
Liz will give her own update as soon as she is near a phone or computer.

Again, my heartfelt thanks for your very real support of them. It means the world to Elisabeth.

As an aside, connected to the vetport where Fizzy spent last night, there is an animal shelter, full of dogs and cats. As I was walking from where I parked my trailer, I saw a tiny animal crate in the parking lot. In it were two grown cats, very frightened. I asked the people in the shelter if they would take them and they said that they would call the Port Authority. I asked if the PA would send them to a no kill facility and was told, no, if they do not get adopted, they are euthanized.
So, into the trailer they went and are now in my mud room (a Vermont architechtural specialty). It seems that they have either lived in the squalor of that tiny place for quite a while or just were stiff from being in there for hours/days. Whoever had them left a few cans of tuna for them, but no water.

If anyone within a reasonable distance would like to have them, one is a female, the other a castrated male. They are long haired and very sweet, albeit, a bit shy. I would assume they belonged to one of those collector types (shudder).

Bets and Theo ... :-)

stolensilver
Sep. 24, 2006, 06:25 PM
Congratulations to Liz and Fizzy. Fantastic! And to Liz's Mum who has no doubt put in thousands of hours of hard graft behind the scenes to get them to where they are today. Wish it was me. :D

And a big thumbs up to Theo who's man enough to put his money where his heart is.

imajicadutch
Sep. 24, 2006, 09:09 PM
Actually, since she is 22 1/2 , it is + 194,712 hours or eight thousand one hundred two point five days. LOL

yaya
Sep. 24, 2006, 09:41 PM
Isn't it just wild that in the same time it took you to get home from the airport she got all the way to Amsterdam?

StarDoozer
Sep. 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
:-) Here's our blog, for anyone that's interested. Fizzy shipped like a champ.

http://stardoozer.blogspot.com/

YoungFilly
Sep. 24, 2006, 11:04 PM
My horse went through Schipol horse quarantine when she came to the USA. I have often wondered what it was like on the flight to the USA. Now I know!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how things come out.
Doesn't your horse have to stay in quarintine before he gets to leave for Klaus's? My mare took about a week in quarintine, so I am thinking 3 days for a gelding? Or is Europe not as stringent?

Good luck, and we are all rooting for you! :)

indyblue
Sep. 24, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ive loved reading your blog Elizabeth.Please keep us updated on COTH with a link to your blog when you update it as I wouldnt have a clue how to find it otherwise.Ill be keeping an eye on you from NZ.(PS wheres a picture of Sadie I can see?)

imajicadutch
Sep. 24, 2006, 11:51 PM
Sadie in the sand...She is much cuter than any picture can show
http://photos-916.ak.facebook.com/ip006/v39/71/54/6900306/n6900306_30677916_2829.jpg

imajicadutch
Sep. 24, 2006, 11:54 PM
And, Sadie leaping in water..

http://photos-917.ak.facebook.com/ip006/v39/71/54/6900306/s6900306_30677917_3229.jpg

indyblue
Sep. 25, 2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for that.Now we know what the whole team looks like.Obviously Sadie is very important to Elizabeth and Im sure will be a great comfort at the end of what I bet will be long ,hard days(mentally & physically). Cool to have a bit of her family with her.I watched Oliver's dressage video & he is lovely.Awesome trot.

equusrocks
Sep. 25, 2006, 01:13 AM
How exciting for all of you! Hope it is a safe and wonderful experience! Who wouldn't be proud? What a lovely pair. Look forward to reading about it. Thanks for sharing. :)

suzy
Sep. 25, 2006, 09:22 AM
Wow! Congratulations, Liz! I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your lessons with KB.

Coreene
Sep. 25, 2006, 12:23 PM
Big round of applause for Liz, mom, horse, dog, new cats and Theo. :yes:

What a wonderful opportunity!

knz66
Sep. 25, 2006, 01:23 PM
I've always enjoyed following Fizzy and Elizabeth's success and progress on this and the "other" BB.

I know I feel a huge amount of pride knowing we CAN produce this caliber of dressage in the US.

The icing is that the Austin's are very genuine people. Sharing their ups and downs with complete strangers, letting us into thier little corner of the world.

We need more people like Theo in the US. Supporting the artform he loves best, wanting it to grow and blossom into something wonderful, like this horse and rider.

Pretty soon we'll all be lining up to hire Elizabeth for clinics in our barns, for our GMO's. Just you watch!

Kneigh
Sep. 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Looking forward to reading all the reports. It sounds like such a wonderful and exciting opportunity.

(And kudos for adopting the two kitties). ::)

YankeeLawyer
Sep. 25, 2006, 09:47 PM
Pretty soon we'll all be lining up to hire Elizabeth for clinics in our barns, for our GMO's. Just you watch!

What do you mean pretty soon? ; ). When is she coming to Virginia?

Tarheel Eventer
Sep. 26, 2006, 12:16 AM
I'm really looking forward to hearing how things come out.
Doesn't your horse have to stay in quarintine before he gets to leave for Klaus's? My mare took about a week in quarintine, so I am thinking 3 days for a gelding? Or is Europe not as stringent?

Good luck, and we are all rooting for you! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fizzy a stallion?

Sabine
Sep. 26, 2006, 01:55 AM
Yes he is- and there is some quaratine requirement in Europe as well - in the states it is 2 weeks...at a state approved quarantine center....:(

editted to correct: for a mare 2 weeks- for a stallion 4 weeks in the US...not sure about Europe...

Dressage Art
Sep. 26, 2006, 04:15 AM
I still can remember how I became a sponsor for the Dutch junior and Youngriders team. Marlies van Baalen called me an told me that she was selected for the European Championship at Helsinki Finland. However she had one big problem the Dutch Equestrian Federation had booked a boat-trip for the horses. To cut a long story short, she asked me if I could sponsor a flight to Helsinki for her horse. When I agreed with Marlies, all other riders called me with the same question. So i had to raise my sponsorbudget to almost 100.000 US$. Happily Johan Hinneman called me that the Dutch team could fly with the German team, so the costs dropped to US$ 30.000,=, and I didn't have to sell my sailboat.:D

Two years ago Liz , but also Lauren Spieser and some other YoungRiders from the USA contacted me with the question if I wanted to sponsor a freestyle to music for an auction they had set up to cover the costs of their training and clinics. Very nice girls with a determination to make the absolute best out of their dressage-life. For obvious reasons I got a déja vu, and said YES, because I know from my 25-years of experience in this dressage-circus that their way of looking at things is the best way to get to the top. The way to the top imho opinion is to eat dressage, drink dressage and don't take NO or IMPOSSIBLE for an answer. And when you are arrived at the top, sponsors and horseowners are waiting in line to put their money on you and your horse. This might not be the situation in the USA today, but wait untill one of these youngsters win Gold at the Olympics.

It's nice to have dressage sport supporters like you Theo - hope to have more folks like you in US who can help our future Olympic winners to climb the dressage Everest.

DownYonder
Sep. 26, 2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks, Theo, for being so generous - with both your videos and with your sponsorships. We need more folks like you to help sponsor our up and coming stars! :D

imajicadutch
Sep. 26, 2006, 07:57 AM
Fizzy is indeed a stallion, and because of the quarantine requirements he will be in Europe less than 59 days which is the cutoff time...stallions staying longer have to do the whole CEM testing.

I add my thanks to Theo, as well, for his role in giving riders a leg up through his generosity.

Mozart
Sep. 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
Well, nice to see this thread back on the rails. I for one will be very interesed in reading about Liz' experiences. And for the record, if as a mother and breeder, I ever produce offspring like Liz and Olivier....you would certainly be hearing about it from me every opportunity I got ;)

Alibhai's Alibar
Sep. 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
Wonderful news- best wishes to you. I'm looking forward to updates from an inspiring team. :)

kelliope
Sep. 26, 2006, 11:18 PM
I've been looking at the website and story behind these two and it is just amazing! I really wish them both the best! Can't wait to hear more about it and I have to say, if I was the mom I'd be absolutely BEAMING with pride!

BBowen
Sep. 27, 2006, 11:19 AM
Just want to add my well wishes to Elisabeth and Olivier. What a fabulous, fabulous team and mom, you have every right to be proud and brag all you want.

All of us should be so proud that this young woman and horse have this training opportunity. She and other young people like her are the future of our sport not only in the U.S., but around the world. I too look forward to hearing all about Elisabeth's experience. Glad to see they arrived safely.

For years, I have shared occasional e-mails with Elisabeth and she has always been so gracious, informative, and always very mature for her age. Prayers and good wishes for her continued success.

imajicadutch
Sep. 27, 2006, 06:33 PM
I was waiting for Elisabeth to be able to post here, but I think she is too busy. I will share with you her email to me last night:

Greetings from Stal Balkenhol!

Fizzy shipped like a championnnnnnn, and we are settling in well. He is so fat and looks amazing with his huge dapples and big tail. I got to ride two horses today plus Fizzy. I rode an Ehnresuch (can't spell it) four year old, and an 11 year old Rubenstein. They were both lovely!

Judith and Belly (her daughter) are AMAZINGLY nice, and I feel at home already! Guess whose stall Fizzy lives in? KINGSTON's. :-) It's OK, you don't need to pinch me, I already did it myself.

Michael took me grocery shopping, and all is fun and well.

MISS YOU!!!

I will get a cell phone soon- it is FREE if you call me, so when I get it, I will call you with the number.

Love Lizzy!

dressagediosa
Sep. 27, 2006, 06:44 PM
Three cheers for my best buddy :) (And a big hug to Theo and all our other great sponsors, who make stuff like this possible for us!)

Madeline, be sure to tell Lizzy that if it was an Ehrentusch four year old that she rode, that it's a close relative to my little red mare, and therefore is OBVIOUSLY perfect. :)

imajicadutch
Sep. 27, 2006, 06:47 PM
Hi Lauren,

I will tell her...she will be very excited. How is the "little" red mare, btw?
And Baggins?

xxoo

TropicalStorm
Sep. 27, 2006, 06:49 PM
Congratulations. your boy is gorgeous and hopefully you guys will have a long career together! :)

dressagediosa
Sep. 27, 2006, 06:58 PM
Ella did her first clean flying changes last week, spaced between some really not so clean ones, and really flying ones. Par for the course :) Baggins and I are here at Devon, where he warmed up today like a two year old, and then curled up and took a nap. My gray mare was also Godzilla today - are they trying to tell me something? :)

imajicadutch
Sep. 27, 2006, 07:04 PM
Yup, up the ante.

Horsedances
Sep. 27, 2006, 08:32 PM
Ella did her first clean flying changes last week, spaced between some really not so clean ones, and really flying ones. Par for the course :) Baggins and I are here at Devon, where he warmed up today like a two year old, and then curled up and took a nap. My gray mare was also Godzilla today - are they trying to tell me something? :)

Lauren since you are in Devon, please give a big hug to my best friend Belinda Nairn-Wertman. She is one of a kind and a wonderfull talented rider and person.

Theo

imajicadutch
Sep. 30, 2006, 07:25 AM
She finally has a cellphone, and I spoke with her yesterday. No internet to speak of, so it will be awhile before she updates her blog.

She is keeping a journal and, from the sound of it, she cannot write quickly enough to capture all of the wonderful experiences she is having.

Fizzy is very happy and relaxed. Liz tells me that Stal Balkenhol is beautiful and quite serene. The Balkenhol family is WONDERFUL, extremely kind and caring.

In addition to Fizzy, Liz is riding several other horses each day.

The horses are fed at six and the entire morning is spent riding. All riders are off of their last horse at noon, at which time they stop for lunch. Liz says she takes Fizzy out for a hack later in the day.

I will keep you all updated as I hear more from her.

dressagediosa
Sep. 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
I talked to Lizzy today, too! She mostly let me yammer on, but says she's having a wonderful time, and will be sending me her mail address, which I'm happy to pass along to anyone who wants to send her a note. I can tell you that from my time over there, I really missed a few choice American foods (Betty Crocker cake mix, peanut butter and guacamole, to name but a few - don't laugh!). :)

leevi50
Sep. 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
I had the pleasure of watching Olivier and Elizabeth at the NEDA Fall Forum last year. What an impressive pair! Congratulations to all of you!;)

slc2
Sep. 30, 2006, 02:21 PM
have a great time! it's great that theo has helped to make this happen.

StarDoozer
Sep. 30, 2006, 02:39 PM
:-) Hi guys. Everything is amazing here.

My mom is incorrect in saying that we are done by noon- there is a lunch/afternoon break for a few hours, but we do more riding in the afternoon. The horses are fed at 6am, 12pm, 6pm and an extra time at 9pm if you're really cute (Fizzy).. I am just filling in for a few weeks because Klaus' Berieter (spelling??) is away, but of course, I have already fallen in love with Eden (the 4-year-old). He is perfectttt. I get to do a lot of watching, as well, and watching Klaus ride is a real treat.

Here are my next journal entries- one for every day. Sorry I didn't post sooner.

http://stardoozer.blogspot.com/

Hope everyone is doing well!

Liz+Fizzy

friesian4me
Sep. 30, 2006, 03:32 PM
I love reading your blog. Keep up the good work!

imajicadutch
Oct. 1, 2006, 12:08 AM
I did not mean that you were having siesta time...just did not know what happened after lunch.

YankeeLawyer
Oct. 1, 2006, 09:31 AM
Liz,
I loved reading your journal entries!! You should consider doing a magazine article re your experience over there!

Horsedances
Oct. 1, 2006, 09:54 AM
The right spelling is "bereiter" it means something like stable-rider. And Klaus must trust you a lot to let you ride these horses.

Without going into details; Liz you also must be very proud on the support you have from your homebases family. :lol: . And... the many nice people on this forum.

All these experiences will guide you the rest of your life (not only your dressage life), so act like a sponge while your are there.

Theo

Musn'tGrumble
Oct. 1, 2006, 12:21 PM
I know people will always talk, and say maybe “Oh, she is rubbing it in our face that she gets to go to Germany”- but that is never my intention. I feel so lucky and fortunate to be here, and I only wish I can share my experience with other people.

Don't ever worry about people who are jealous of your success. Jealous people are the authors of their own misery and the sooner they realise it the sooner they will be able to set their own foot on the road to happiness :sadsmile:. (Sorry if that sounds blaaagh but it's true ;) ) It's also true that if it wasn't you they'd find something or someone else to be jealous about. I for one am very happy to read about both your success and experiences in Germany. Keep up with the blog and the good work, I'm looking forward to reading the next installment :D