PDA

View Full Version : AECs!

Invested1
Sep. 10, 2006, 12:57 PM
Who's going? Who's competing and who's going just to watch?
I'll be there as a spectator---really looking forward to it!! :yes:

EventerAJ
Sep. 10, 2006, 02:37 PM
I'll be there! It's my first time, I'm excited. :)

I'm running Intermediate, our last outing before Radnor. :)

eclipse06
Sep. 10, 2006, 03:08 PM
I will be there! :) I'm grooming for a friend whose running advaced.

HiJumpGrrl
Sep. 10, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm grooming and scribing for dressage and crashing the competitor's party! :D

tommygirl
Sep. 10, 2006, 06:24 PM
With my novice greenie, and my new basset puppy!

CANTEREOIN
Sep. 10, 2006, 08:44 PM
My trainer is riding my horse in Training Horse. I'm hoping to volunteer one day and groom for everyone else during the competition... I'm wicked excited.

Firefox
Sep. 10, 2006, 09:02 PM
We are in!! riding in Novice Horse, with my homebred Conn/tb "Unbelievable" Really looking forward to it!!

Sancudo
Sep. 10, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hopefully I'll be with my little sister's horse as they run Junior Novice, but he's had some funky going ons on his left hind, but never lame, so, we'll see. The vet's approved for him to go, he's much better, but she's lost several weeks of solid training time.

piaffeprincess98
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:44 AM
I feel for you sister Sancudo. My guy ripped his leg open about two weeks ago and he's getting the stitches out today. It has been pretty well seeled and he was never lame, so I've been walking him since Thursday. But, we missed Loudon HT's and some gallops/swims so we've got about 10 days to get ready now. I need to get a XC school in and a jump lesson at least, so I'm a bit panicked. It's mroe about me, if I don't ride for a while, I take some time to get back into "the flow". So anyways, we'll be riding in Training rider is guess.

FairWeather
Sep. 11, 2006, 09:33 AM
I'll be there with LisaMarie8 and Jeannette and Jnday and Katedb and and and and.

I'll just be watching and taking pictures. :)

KBG Eventer
Sep. 11, 2006, 10:01 AM
I was just going to start this thread! Gosh, Invested1. :)

Anyways, I'll be in OBN-CH with my awesome little horse, Myers Beau. Im soooo excited, Tyler will be trailering with my friend Allison's horse, Step Aside (also in BN). I can't wait...even though it is an eight hour drive and the week off school is going to kill my grades. Yay!!

Look out for the...loud...*PomPom* on the top of my helmet. It is white,purple, and pink..hahaha! It gets some laughs (Bruce Davidson thought it was quite funny at Poplar Place this past weekend), but if you know me, you would know it totally fits me,lol.

AngelEventer
Sep. 11, 2006, 10:17 AM
I'm not going :(

But I have a question for KBG... this horse, "Step Aside" - is a chestnut gelding? do you know his history (is he ottb?) A person at my barn had a chestnut gelding, about 16.2 for a while named Step Aside and he as an OTTB... I always REALLY liked him and have wondered about him. We called him "Beamer".

mythical84
Sep. 11, 2006, 10:26 AM
I'm leaving on Monday with a friend who is running in OBN. Then my sister (nowoncourse) will be coming down shortly followed after by asterix and bambam. I'm so excited!

FairWeather
Sep. 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
I need to look at the schedule, but i'm wondering if a Tailgate is in order?

pwynnnorman
Sep. 11, 2006, 11:34 AM
I just posted a "ride share" on the AEC message board: FL to NC, wanting to arrive by Friday morning.

Invested1
Sep. 11, 2006, 12:06 PM
I was just going to start this thread! Gosh, Invested1. :)

What can I say, great minds and all..... :lol:

KBG Eventer
Sep. 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
Oh and they call him "Step" or "Steppers" :D

Fallbrook
Sep. 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'll be there - grooming for my horse Westmoreland (TH). His rider is Karen MaHaffey, who has done a wonderful job bringing him along. He got a **10** on his free walk (OP/CT) at the Pinehurst HT this past weekend- whoohoo! I've never seen a 10 on anything other than a halt. I need to frame that test.

I'm horrible at organizing social functions, but I will have an RV there if someone wants to organize a COTH tailgate.

Lisamarie8
Sep. 11, 2006, 01:41 PM
I need to look at the schedule, but i'm wondering if a Tailgate is in order?

The whole weekend is going to be one big tailgate... well after I'm done riding each day it will at least.

I predict that Saturday night is going to be a debacle. I see Jane on a table, Mai-Tai in hand.

Thank goodness you will be there to document it.

soooooo geeked!

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'm going :D--one of my students has kindly offered to trailer me down in her rig (newer and bigger than mine ;)), and I'm stabling near another of my students, with whom I'll be sharing a tack stall...Two chestnut mares in close proximity--they can attempt to "out Princess" each other! :lol: I'm *really* looking forward to it--should be a blast! :)

(Mr. Dr. D will be driving down on Thursday to help me and lend support, but little D will have to stay at home with her grandparents, since she has CoGats...:sigh: She really wanted to come, but at least she will be one less thing I'll have to worry about/keep track of...I will also be bringing my gray and white "Velcro Whippet", so should be easy to identify...)

I will definitely look for Invested, and seriously, we should REALLY schedule some sort of COTHers get-together, party, tailgate, etc...I'll be renting an RV, so would be happy to provide a "big tailgate"...:winkgrin:

(The hubby claims we COTHers "all have a secret handshake", or something, but I *really* think we should consider getting tee-shirts or buttons so as to be able to identify each other. :p)

What about bambam and asterix??

FairWeather
Sep. 11, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'll be recognizable, because i'll have these in the vicinity (http://static.flickr.com/87/232348600_91456c7a16.jpg).

pegasusmom
Sep. 11, 2006, 04:50 PM
We'll be there! :winkgrin:

At various points throughout the three days of XC, I'll be the one saying three two one go, good luck at the start box. In the meantime, I'll just be someone's mom, holding her breathe.

Dr. Doolittle - I also have a "velcro" dog you can id me by - a fairly large red fawn greyhound. My son gets to compete, but my husband will miss it all as he is elsewhere in the world :( .

Invested1
Sep. 11, 2006, 05:17 PM
I agree with the buttons idea so we can all find each other! :yes: And I'm most certainly up for the parties!! Speaking of which, how, as a spectator, can I go to the competitor's party?

And are most people bringing their dogs? I'm debating. I just found out that the hotel allows pets, but I worry about having her out all day in the heat and her getting too hot. I may just leave her home.... I'm undecided.....

canterlope
Sep. 11, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'll be riding two of my boys, one in ON and the other in NH. Steve and I will also be in an RV, just look for a big grey/green/blue boat in camper spot B-1 (I think) and that'll be us.

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 11, 2006, 05:43 PM
This is great :) We all need to post descriptions so that was are able to find each other...:D (I wish I could post pix--but my loud laugh, unusually marked dog, and large, distinctive-looking hubby should make me easy to find...:lol:)

(pegasusmom should be easy to find--we sighthound owners are pretty few and far between...;) I'll be sure to say "Thanks" if you're the one to count me down in the startbox--I can't *wait* to tackle the course, I was drooling over it last year! :))

FairWeather--I'll certainly keep an eye out for you and your "crew"! What an adorable dog (and the guy is cute too...:p)

Invested--I heard you can buy extra passes for $10 (every exhibitor receives two in their packet)...Does anyone else have the lowdown on this??

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 11, 2006, 05:45 PM
canterlope, I believe we'll be parked close to you, but I'll have to check with Landon...:)

Lisamarie8
Sep. 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
I'll be recognizable, because i'll have these in the vicinity (http://static.flickr.com/87/232348600_91456c7a16.jpg).

and FW, don't forget, that there will probably be a good bit of this (http://webpages.charter.net/lisamarie8/allie%20and%20I%20lick%20the%20bourbon%20c.jpg)

and this.... (http://webpages.charter.net/lisamarie8/lisajohnalliewatchcoursewalk5b.jpg)

also some of this... (http://webpages.charter.net/lisamarie8/me%20and%20John%20Giggling.jpg)

all pictures taken by my most beloved FW with her fantastic Clive. All my festivities will have to wait until after I ride, but that will make them celebatory drinks, and as far as I'm concerend there are none that taste as sweet.

see, that there? that was my positive thinking; my I'm not going to hit a pine tree and I'm going to finish, positive thinking. You can't stop me. I'm mad with self-affirmation. DC, can you thank Steve for that for me :p

FrittSkritt
Sep. 11, 2006, 06:51 PM
Ohhh I so wish I was going! Stoopid work. :mad:

Lisa, I will imbibe some good luck drinks in honor of you and Ozzy dearest when the AECs start. :)

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Lisamarie8--those are hilarious!

(I *strive* to look like that, since I then know for sure that I'm having a great time :lol:)

One of the girls going with me (my student's friend--both are 20--so yes, they are "girls" to me...:p) is presently in photography school, since she plans on doing it professionally; she's bringing along her camera, "reportedly" worth 2K...Ergo, we can look forward to some "top quality candids" of drunken revelry! :lol:

HiJumpGrrl
Sep. 11, 2006, 07:45 PM
Lisamarie, it's me, elena. i'm coming. and drinking maitais. if i can find a floor to crash on for the wed-thurs-friday day part!

KBG Eventer
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:02 PM
Tyler is a bay with three socks and a thick stripe, around 15.0hh. Our colors are purple,pink, and white so unless you are color blind I PROMISE you will recognize us...at least for cross country. And even if you are you'll see my pompom on my new helmet cover. Pegasusmom...I can't wait to hear ya counting down. I can't wait to see and do the cross country course there; it is so pretty up in NC.

denny
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:04 PM
Hey, Elena,
Sue Berrill and a couple of others are staying at the cottage at Tamarack.
If you get stuck for a place to crash, give me a call.
We`re leaving Vermont, Sun am, about 5, and should get there late Sun night, early Mon. morning.
Remember, you promised no hurricanes!

Lisamarie8
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
Lisamarie, it's me, elena. i'm coming. and drinking maitais. if i can find a floor to crash on for the wed-thurs-friday day part!

Elena, what the hell is up with your screen name? I would have thought you were a 12 year old 4H'r not an M.D/Shrink with a bigass brain :p If you want to make it even better may I suggest ~*~ HiJuMpGrRl ~*~

regardless, I will keep you in MaiTais as long as you are there to drink them. Cause I'm all about the love.

xoxo

and Denny, I knew Elena was capable of piloting Team Little Debbie to stardom, but I had no idea she also controlled the weather! I am truly surrounded my greatness! I should also revisit my mocking of her screen name... I mean crap she could bring on the perfect storm to coincide perfectly with all of my ride times.

Foxygrl516
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:11 PM
just reading this makes me want to cry! I was supposed to go this year with the Big Blue Trailer and I've been looking forward to this ALL YEAR!!!!! Unfortunately we found out Thursday that BoB and a local tack shop in So. Pines put a clause in their contracts this year that they are to be the only vendors unless there are 600 entries. Well....guess what... count is 570something.... :-( So no AECs for me. I can't justify going now as much as I'd like to with gas being so expensive. I'm so disappointed!

I think it's kinda silly though. A lot of people have told me how they have been looking forward to the shopping at AECs, like a very mini Rolex or something. Oh well. BoB usually has cool stuff, and the local tack shop I think is pretty small but I'm sure they're nice. But that's all for the shopping. Bummer. Maybe next year.

pegasusmom
Sep. 11, 2006, 10:36 PM
I Pegasusmom...I can't wait to hear ya counting down. I can't wait to see and do the cross country course there; it is so pretty up in NC.

The course is gorgeous!! :D :D :D :D

What level are you competing? I will most likely be doing some of P/BN, and most all of Training and Advanced. Leo the Greyt Grey practiced being a start box dog on Sunday at Pinehurst HT and did very well, so depending on the weather he may make an appearance.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Sep. 11, 2006, 11:15 PM
I'll be there witih my 14 hand dark dapple grey pony, Eclipse. Stabling near LisaMarie8, canterlope, and KateDB. Braids by elena/highjumpgirl. Bound to be eating icecream with Denny at some point pre-maitais.

Denny, are you sure you understood what elena was talking about when she said no hurricanes? This was bartender-speak (or lush speak, who knows). "Mai tais, yes. No hurricanes."

PS - wise men would not introduce Sue B and elena. Not sure who'll be a worse influence on who, but I'm sure they'll counteract my good influence.

B Street Tango
Sep. 12, 2006, 12:06 AM
I've been the last 2 years helping friends compete and am SO bummed it's not going to work out for me to make it this year! I'm certain the weather will be great this year...just like it was for Rolex, because I wasn't there. ;) Murphy's Law!

Lisamarie8
Sep. 12, 2006, 12:19 AM
I'm sure they'll counteract my good influence.

So you're obviously in need of an antipsychotic then? Dr. HiJuMpGrRl, could you please write the lady a script for some clozapine?

canterlope
Sep. 12, 2006, 05:06 AM
Okay, y'all are starting to scare me. Not about the competition, courses, dressage test, yada, yada, yada. It's just that I don't think the small, sleepy, little town of Raeford is going to know what hit it when this crew shows up. I mean, I'm talking about a town that hosted a national turkey convention last year during the AECs. :eek: :winkgrin:

denny
Sep. 12, 2006, 07:52 AM
Canterlope, you are right.
550 event riders, all in one place, now that`s a SERIOUS overload of adreneline.
And if Jimmy Wofford shows up, to boot, now THAT could be downright scarey.

pegasusmom
Sep. 12, 2006, 08:12 AM
Okay, y'all are starting to scare me. Not about the competition, courses, dressage test, yada, yada, yada. It's just that I don't think the small, sleepy, little town of Raeford is going to know what hit it when this crew shows up. I mean, I'm talking about a town that hosted a national turkey convention last year during the AECs. :eek: :winkgrin:

Hey Canterlope - they host the Turkey Festival every year - this is the Turkey Producing capital of the United States. I kid you not!! Trust me - I live here!!!:lol: :lol: And trust me, this sleepy little town could use some excitement - bring it on!!

annikak
Sep. 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
This sounds like WAY TOO MUCH FUN! (Read...VERY Good! Perfect! Dance the night way kinda fun!)

And I have to go to a USPC meeting...in KY, no less!

Better get GREAT Reports! Oh, and Pics!

HiJumpGrrl
Sep. 12, 2006, 08:39 AM
Denny, I might end up giving you a call on Tuesday. Depending on what your ride time is Wed morning, I could need some floor space to curl up on Tuesday night!

I HAVE been HiJumpGrrl since I was a teenager (when I ran track and was an actual high jumper). I am loathe to change the name... but Jeannette did it, so why can't I?

LaddiePony
Sep. 12, 2006, 08:46 AM
Oh, I'll be there!!! I've competed every year with the amazing superstar 13.2 hand high Arab in the purple and gold! :)

We're just running Novice this year, but it's worth a mention that he was in 2nd in Training going into stadium last year after a lovely dressage test and a phenomenal cross-country run, but unfortunately he had a problem with his stifles (he got home and could barely walk - my poor guy!) and couldn't finish. The vets thought he'd never jump again, but he came back to not only jump, but to win the Area 3 Championships in June. We're sticking to the little Novice stuff, but hey, at 13.2 hands, that's still bigger for him than for most horses! ;)

The AEC's are an absolute BLAST and I just can't wait. I look forward to the parties almost as much as the courses! :lol: See y'all there!!!!!!

-Kelsey
*Laddy's girl forever!*

Invested1
Sep. 12, 2006, 09:21 AM
You guys are making me MORE excited!!!! :yes:

bambam
Sep. 12, 2006, 10:04 AM
What about bambam and asterix??
Oh we will be there with our 2 big beasts !! :D Cannot wait.

asterix
Sep. 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah, the countdown is coming!!! Trying not to get anxious, hoping we can cram one more school in before we go (haven't competed in a while, do not trust entirely mr. "Jah, I look good, but now, I FEEL good!" This could easily turn into "Jah, zo I am feeling good, but can I just ein tiny minute take to think about zis water jump? Zen I will be jumping it just okey dokey.").

My giant beastie has deluxe accomodations with pegasusmom -- I am hoping she will sneak out in the wee hours of Saturday and start whispering "5-4-3-2-1 have a nice ride!" in his ear. He does respond well to voice commands...
:D

But fun will be had by all!! I am having a birthday while we are down there, so this is an order!

Cody
Sep. 12, 2006, 10:39 AM
I'll be there, but then again most of you probably know that. You won't be seeing alot of me UNLESS you have neglected to send/fax in signature pages or coggins or numbers or some such. Then you'll have to come see me before you get your competitor's packet. In the evenings I'll be out and about though or stop in the office and say hi to me.

Laddiepony knows me. And Laddie what ever happened to those name tags that I made for the convention? Would that be a good idea?

Cody

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
Cody...methinks I have been corresponding with you via e-mail (with AEC-related questions :p); would this be accurate?? :D (If so, I just sent you a return e-mail 5 minutes ago...)

I am the one with the student who you will stable near (next to??) me--both with chestnut mares, going in different Novice Divisions...

Invested1
Sep. 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
Anyone else staying in the Motel 6 in Aberdeen?

Seriously, there are so many of you I'd love to meet---how can we facilitate this?!?

mythical84
Sep. 12, 2006, 11:23 AM
asterix: I'll be having a birthday while I'm down there too! Mine is Wedsnesday the 20th ... maybe a joint birthday dinner is in order??

asterix
Sep. 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
Yes! I propose Thursday night, to take my mind off dress-aaggge. Friday night (my birthday) Mr. asterix is arriving to take me out for dinner. Somehow he just didn't seem that excited about watching dressage. Curious!

mythical84
Sep. 12, 2006, 12:02 PM
Thursday sounds good to me. We'll have to get the masses assembled. :-)

And why are you worried about dressage ... don't you remember that your horse is Mr. Uber Dressage Pony. ... just make sure those socks are sparkling when you trot down center line. ;-)

clover
Sep. 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
I will be there with my pony competing OBN. I am so excited!

asterix
Sep. 12, 2006, 12:44 PM
Why am I worried about dressage? Ah, the curse of the adult amateur -- we can find something to worry about in ANY circumstance! Here, I'll give you a clinic. I am world-class at this:

1. My horse is really good at [insert phase here]. If we don't absolutely rock at [insert phase here], it will be because I stink/screw up.

2. My horse is not so good at [insert phase here]. If we don't do well at [insert phase here], it will be because I'm not good enough to help him out.

3. My horse has [insert past soundness/health issue here]. He seems just fine, but I'm convinced [insert past soundess/health issue here] will come back just in time for the AECs.

4. My horse is always sound as a rock. I am certain that this lucky streak will end and he will suddenly develop [insert random soundness/health issue here] after we arrive at the AECs.

5. Everything will be great, but there will be a giant hurricane and the whole thing will be cancelled.

There, I think I covered the biggies. :D I may not ride well enough to show off his dressage, or overcome his occasional xc fears, but, dang! I'm good at this anxiety thing.

bambam
Sep. 12, 2006, 04:19 PM
Yes! I propose Thursday night, to take my mind off dress-aaggge. Friday night (my birthday) Mr. asterix is arriving to take me out for dinner. Somehow he just didn't seem that excited about watching dressage. Curious!
What is it with you people that every time we roadtrip somewhere, I end up having to take someone out to dinner for their birthday and why is it never me ;) :winkgrin:
Before we pick our night of celebration (and if past experience is any indicator our night of drinking to excess) why don't we wait and see how early those stressage times are on Friday :D
Your stress list is longer than mine- mine boils down to, if we don't do well it is because I cannot ride my way out of a paper bag and a real rider could have done well and that she will be unsound for it like she was last year but this time not only will I not compete but I will lose my money because she went lame so late :no:

Judi
Sep. 12, 2006, 04:22 PM
Wish you all weren't so flippin far away.... sniff sniff. One of these years we'll go east... Perhaps once we're doing Prelim.

: )

Have Fun everyone....

And good luck....

judi and rainier

FairWeather
Sep. 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
LisaLou my dear, i'd forgotten about those pictures! They are, indeed, festive!
And Hijump...i'm sorry, that has got to go....Elena! I thought you were going all red-neck in my back yard with the camper! I really do have floor room, but its a hardwood floor, so an air-mattress is definitely required :)
Just as long as you dont get in the way of the beer. :D

So, anybody up for dinner in Aberdeen? There are a bunch of places that are all pretty amenable to rowdy crowds-- Lonestar, Squires, and there is even a Suck my Sacklebee's just for you LisaLou!

Looks like we'll be coming down Wednesday night late :) Woot!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Sep. 12, 2006, 04:36 PM
5. Everything will be great, but there will be a giant hurricane and the whole thing will be cancelled.

There, I think I covered the biggies. :D

asterix, you forgot fear # 6. There will be a giant hurricane and nothing will be cancelled!
;)

Though man, was it Longleaf this year they had wireless internet access on grounds, and they watched the huge storm coming in, and had it timed to the minute when to stop sending competitors on course so everyone would be off course when the storm hit. To the minute! Impressive.

KateDB
Sep. 12, 2006, 04:48 PM
Alas, Monday will be here before we know it!
At least I might get two nights of sleep before the onslaught, no?!?!
Dickcy will be down, as well, so there will be much part-y-ing!
I, of course, shall behave most well, seeing as I have Morven in less than two weeks following!

FairWeather
Sep. 12, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'd like to suggest that Denny show up wherever we plan to be festive, because I would like to ply him with whatever means necessary so that he would love, just LOVE for me to be able to trail ride off of his beautiful farm ;)
:lol:;)

You know whats missing from the Festivities?

Why, it would be the man who Herkeys (http://static.flickr.com/50/139473918_4fbddea34a.jpg).

I do hope that LisaLou will be able to finally learn Mr. Fairweather to shotgun a beer Proper-like.
:cool::D

KBG Eventer
Sep. 12, 2006, 05:14 PM
The course is gorgeous!! :D :D :D :D

What level are you competing? I will most likely be doing some of P/BN, and most all of Training and Advanced. Leo the Greyt Grey practiced being a start box dog on Sunday at Pinehurst HT and did very well, so depending on the weather he may make an appearance.

I'll be doing BN! :)

Invested1
Sep. 12, 2006, 05:20 PM
TOTALLY up for dinner one night---just name the time and place. :yes:
I'm arriving sometime on Tuesday (9/19) afternoon/early evening and not leaving until Monday morning (9/25).

HiJumpGrrl
Sep. 12, 2006, 05:48 PM
oh-em-gee, fairweather, i just figured out who you are. me = sloooooooooooooow. see emails already exchanged for further info.

pegasusmom
Sep. 12, 2006, 05:57 PM
asterix, you forgot fear # 6. There will be a giant hurricane and nothing will be cancelled!
;)

Though man, was it Longleaf this year they had wireless internet access on grounds, and they watched the huge storm coming in, and had it timed to the minute when to stop sending competitors on course so everyone would be off course when the storm hit. To the minute! Impressive.

Jeannette - that was thanks to a well known Area II competitor's husband and his handy dandy computer with doppler radar (and the skill to know how to intrepret!!) It was really neat - he gave us up to the minute reports via radio so we knew exactly when to pull the plug and how long things would last. Think they are coming for the AEC.

Lisamarie8
Sep. 12, 2006, 09:19 PM
You know whats missing from the Festivities?

Why, it would be the man who Herkeys (http://static.flickr.com/50/139473918_4fbddea34a.jpg).
FW, while that picture makes me so very happy, It just wont seem like the festivities are at volume 11 (on a dial of 10) without the Chairman of the ROCO group. We will have to be extra festive to try and fill the vacuum

I do hope that LisaLou will be able to finally learn Mr. Fairweather to shotgun a beer Proper-like.
:cool::D

A girl can only try and try again... And she can look chinless while doing so.

I have titled this shotgun tutelage (http://webpages.charter.net/lisamarie8/shotgun%20tutalage.jpg)

But I will persevere. There are somethings that simply must be done.

Astrix and Jeannette, I had already gone through all of the stresses except the weather. I usually try to ignore things I have no control over, but now that I know Elena has some sort of control over such things I begin I'll begin to worry.

And by worry I mean check this compulsively. (http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/USNC0557?from=search_10day)

PS - Jeannette I heard back from the super nice stabling peeps and we're all stabled together. :) I'm going to try to see if I can get to thursday without setting my horse free this year... seems like a solid approachable goal, yes?

PPS - Kate my most fabulous of peeps, I sent you an e-mail this evening!

KBG Eventer
Sep. 13, 2006, 12:31 AM
Aw man! I believe I will be missing the competitor parties since I think I am leaving Friday. Although it would make more sense to leave Saturday morning...I hope we'll be leaving then instead.

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
Yes, KGB Eventer--you will *of course* want to avoid Friday's rush hour (or at least that can be your rationalization for staying one more night...:D)

LisaMarie8--how does one get in touch with the stabling peeps??

mythical84
Sep. 13, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hmmm ... I think our plan was originally to leave on Friday, but we might have to stick around for the competitors party that night.

Absolut
Sep. 13, 2006, 07:13 PM
We will be there. It will take three days to get there, we are leaving this Friday. I haven't been before. What is the most challenging part of the prelim course? Also the Training course as I have a student going training.

Thanks!

FairWeather
Sep. 13, 2006, 07:53 PM
what time do the competitors parties start?

Holy cow, Absolut, where are you coming from?

HiJumpGrrl
Sep. 13, 2006, 09:55 PM
I, volunteer/groom extraordinaire, have been assured by the volunteer coordinator Ashemont that the parties WILL NOT START until all of the volunteers are good and READY for the parties to start! (read: once the competition is over for the day, and we've been given a chance to pre-party *this much*)

FairWeather
Sep. 13, 2006, 10:37 PM
I hope i get to meet Ashemonte, she's my new "neighbor" :)

Absolut
Sep. 14, 2006, 09:21 AM
We are coming from San Antonio. Glenn is the nicest guy at Pine Top and has extended his offer for an overnight there for our second leg. Also said he would mount up and we could all take a tour of it.

It is a prohibitively long trip, but worth it at least once. Pray for safe passage.
See ya'll there.

Invested1
Sep. 14, 2006, 09:35 AM
I, volunteer/groom extraordinaire, have been assured by the volunteer coordinator Ashemont that the parties WILL NOT START until all of the volunteers are good and READY for the parties to start! (read: once the competition is over for the day, and we've been given a chance to pre-party *this much*)

Pardon the dumb question from someone who has never been, but are there parties every night?

LaddiePony
Sep. 14, 2006, 10:00 AM
We are coming from San Antonio. Glenn is the nicest guy at Pine Top and has extended his offer for an overnight there for our second leg. Also said he would mount up and we could all take a tour of it.

It is a prohibitively long trip, but worth it at least once. Pray for safe passage.
See ya'll there.

Absolut, Glenn is the greatest! Be sure to tell him "hello" from Kelsey Briggs and Laddy!!! Have a safe trip!

-Kelsey
*Laddy's girl forever!*

pegasusmom
Sep. 14, 2006, 01:39 PM
I hope i get to meet Ashemonte, she's my new "neighbor" :)

Fairweather - how so? 'Cause if you are her new neighbor, then you are my new neighbor as well. . .:cool:

FairWeather
Sep. 14, 2006, 02:00 PM
Oooh! coolio, another new neighbor! We bought a little place right off of Ashemont--the other end of Ashemont toward 15/501 that we go down to about once a month. I love it down there and would stay all the time if i could.

KateDB
Sep. 14, 2006, 04:22 PM
In payment for LiLu's braiding Padster, I'll be heading off to the nearest liquor store for Bacardi light AND dark rum (as directed by my braider)!!!

KBG Eventer
Sep. 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'm getting very excited. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to head down to AL before leaving to go up to NC! I cannot wait to see my Tyler Bear, who has been down there since late Sunday and getting a little bit of a refresher/exercised this week by my trainer. I cannot wait to walk the courses for the first time, watch everybody, and just *be* there. You guys have no idea how long I have wanted to compete or even just spectate at the AECs. It has been a long time coming...believe me! Some of you know...LaddiePony and persefne especially.

Although, on a more serious note, I am definitely dead meat in some classes at school.*Cough* Physical Science *Cough,Cough*

pegasusmom
Sep. 14, 2006, 09:27 PM
Oooh! coolio, another new neighbor! We bought a little place right off of Ashemont--the other end of Ashemont toward 15/501 that we go down to about once a month. I love it down there and would stay all the time if i could.

Yahoo!! - and welcome to the neighborhood!. We are on Horace Walters, 2 miles from CHP. There are some cool equine folks at this end of the 'hood. Find me and say hello - I will either be the starter or have a large red fawn greyhound attached to me

Lisamarie8
Sep. 14, 2006, 10:56 PM
In payment for LiLu's braiding Padster, I'll be heading off to the nearest liquor store for Bacardi light AND dark rum (as directed by my braider)!!!

I'm all about the barter system, MisThang. I make the Padster look like a rockstar (which isn't difficult, because he is, intrinsically such) and you make me look a little silly behind the eyes.

Fair deal if you ask me.

Ozzy has 6 days within which he must avoid 1) catching the bird flu or 2) throwing himself on somthing pointy.

fingers crossed.

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Okay, all you previous AECers...

I can't say I recall the specifics of how we got there last year, since I wasn't driving (and tend to "try not cloud my mind with such things" when it's not mandatory :p), so wondered what the best route was from Northern VA. Obviously you go down 95 S, but the website says to avoid Fayetteville; is doing so the fastest way??

Any insights from those who have made the trip would be appreciated! :)

pegasusmom
Sep. 15, 2006, 07:41 AM
Ah - when you get to Rocky Mount, take US 64 to Raleigh. As you approach Raleigh you will get on the I-440/US 64 beltway around the southern part of the city. Pick up US 1 south (direction Sanford) and head into Southern Pines. Roads are nice, and traffic isn't too bad as long as you avoid Raleigh rush hour. (7-9 ish am, 4-6ish pm)

Time line - I live two minutes from the park and it takes me almost exactly four hours to get to Richmond. (anything north of that becomes a blur as my brain shuts off!!:lol: ) Avoid Fayetteville at all costs. You can't there from here, without a really frustrating stop and go drive.

If you need further direction from Southern Pines, let me know. If you are good at back roads there is a way to cut across Ft. Bragg that saves time.

LaddiePony
Sep. 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
KBG, I'm really excited for you, girl! This will be my 3rd year, and oh my gosh it is SO fun!!! :)

Anyway guys, if you've never met me, I'll be the (much-too-tall-to-be-riding-a-pony) blonde walking around with the (most amazingly handsome and adorable) 13.2 hand bright bay Arabian pony, who will most definitely be dragging me SOMEWHERE. I have very little say when it comes to where we're going; Laddy insists on socializing with me, but he chooses who, when, and where. Too bad they won't let him into the parties...one year when we were at the CHP for an event (not sure if it was AEC or what), he was stabled in the row closest to the party; he could see it, it was right there, but he wasn't invited!! *So* not fair, he decided. I just remember looking up and seeing Laddy marching toward us, having broken through TWO stall guards, quite ready to crash the party. Oh, naughty pony!!!!! ;)

Oh, and if you catch us on the way to cross-country, we'll be in purple and metallic gold. CAN'T miss us. :lol:

-Kelsey
*Laddy's girl forever!*

Muck r us
Sep. 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
It looks like the weather is going to be especially splendid this year. The forecasts are for highs in the 70s and lows in the mid-50s with no rain predicted so far. Looks like there may not even be many clouds. Bring sunscreen. Thankfully no hurricane like 2004 and not hot like 2005.

We're volunteering Thursday thru Sunday and have a friend running 4 horses; so we'll be all over the CHP.

KBG Eventer
Sep. 15, 2006, 10:26 AM
I sure hope the weather remains good! That would be awesome and high 70s is almost "cool" for me since I've now lived more than half my life in the south! I was happy the other day when it was like 87.

I am sorry LaddiePony, but I might just "out loud" you with my newest cross country attire. Some people don't like it when people have everything nice and coordinated (boots, crop, gloves..you name it!) but I do...and my cross country colors are quite loud. :) I think the item that sent me over the edge of "loudness" is my new helmet cover which is white with puple and pink horizantal stripes on it...and a purple,pink, and white POMPOM! My theory was you only live once. Plus, I gave all the BNR a laugh at Poplar last weekend like I said before. And people always think I'm nine instead of fourteen anyways (it doesn't bother me anyways though) so they will think I am a cute little kid on her equally cute pony! :D

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks, pegasusmom! Mr. Dr. D has been playing around with Google Earth, and has mapped out a couple of routes--your input is *most* helpful! :)

As for LaddiePony and KBG--you both should be hard to miss! ;)

KBG Eventer
Sep. 15, 2006, 11:05 AM
Dr.Doolittle-- I agree! :P

LaddiePony
Sep. 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
You're right, KBG, I have toned it down - hey, I'm 18, I HAD to just a LITTLE! - but no one will EVER top the event when I coated Laddy's entire body/mane/tail with gold glitter hairspray (safe for ponies, no worries!), and put the gold glitter stars on his butt (with purple glitter on his face), AND wore my metallic gold cross-country vest, along with the purple and metallic gold helmet cover and saddle pad. I spray painted my hair gold, too, but I'm blonde so you couldn't really tell.

Of course, this being Laddy's last AEC and probably last big competition period, we may just have to go all out again, one last time. Whaddya say? I *know* Laddy's up for it. Input, please, guys....

-Kelsey
*Laddy's girl forever!*

AngelEventer
Sep. 15, 2006, 01:55 PM
You're right, KBG, I have toned it down - hey, I'm 18, I HAD to just a LITTLE! - but no one will EVER top the event when I coated Laddy's entire body/mane/tail with gold glitter hairspray (safe for ponies, no worries!), and put the gold glitter stars on his butt (with purple glitter on his face), AND wore my metallic gold cross-country vest, along with the purple and metallic gold helmet cover and saddle pad. I spray painted my hair gold, too, but I'm blonde so you couldn't really tell.

Of course, this being Laddy's last AEC and probably last big competition period, we may just have to go all out again, one last time. Whaddya say? I *know* Laddy's up for it. Input, please, guys....

-Kelsey
*Laddy's girl forever!*

GO FOR IT! :D :winkgrin: :yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 15, 2006, 06:45 PM
Holy cow! :eek: :eek:

(I only say that because I am a "conservative old lady"...:D)

George Morris would be traumatized for life! :lol:

Are there any pix of this getup?? Please??

mythical84
Sep. 17, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'm leaving in the morning and am oh so excited! :-)

I'll see you all down there!

MediaMD
Sep. 17, 2006, 10:45 PM
This will be our first AEC and hopefully not our last! My daughter Erin (15, long brown hair) and Gideon's Fire (14.1h bay American Sport Pony Stud-Muffin Wannabe) will be going Novice. She's excited, I'm nervous =:O but with all our fellow COTH'rs going, we'll feel like we're among friends.

Please let us know if you are planning some COTH identifying mark, quirky nod, or button so we can proudly join the AEC/COTH Clique.And if anyone is thinking about a tail-gate, we'd love to drop in and say Hi and meet some of you guys in person.

Best wishes and safe travel to everyone and of course, GOOD LUCK on course!

SCC
Sep. 17, 2006, 11:09 PM
Good luck everyone! SCI and I volunteered to help decorate the cross country course today. We are HJ people so we know how to fluff jumps!! We decorated the pavilion where the parties will be held, the show office and one jump. We had a blast. The course looks great and everything is coming together. Lots of luck to everyone.

Carried Away
Sep. 18, 2006, 12:26 AM
We are leaving tomorrow morning and laying over 1 night. Hope to meet some of you guys, sounds like it will be a blast. I have 2 students in the Novice and I'm *sniff* not riding since Hagen's hocks are continuing to fuse and he's still having some time off....what a bummer :( The good news is that they are fusing quickly and correctly and he'll be ready to go next season hopefully!

I'll be wearing Hunter Oaks gear or I'll be with people who are, don't be shy! Hope everyone has a safe trip and great rides!

edited to add: 2 of my students are looking for new horses (N/T, preferably fancy), we are looking at several horses in the area, but if you know of anything else that will be there, I'd love to have a look.

mtk9122
Sep. 18, 2006, 03:08 AM
Hope to see a lot of you there. A friend and I, both moms of eventers will be doing some set up and then we will be at check to greet you. Have a great trip from wherever you are coming.

witchy_brown
Sep. 18, 2006, 07:24 AM
Anyone know if the HP allows late-night arrival?

Im writing out our trip and it is looking like we should get there around 8pm (if we dont hit any DC/Baltimore traffic!) Will there be someone at the gate to let us in? Or what time does the park close?

Muck r us
Sep. 18, 2006, 09:18 AM
I don't think it ever closes. There won't be anyone at the gate that late, but usually there is a sign board showing your stall assignments.
CHP SIte Map (http://www.carolinahorsepark.com/aec/aec06_site_map.html)
Enter via Gate 8 off of Calloway road, marked with flags. Go down this dirt road past the dressage rings and warmups to the line of trees. Where the map shows "Greeters, Info. Board" there should be a list of stall assignments. There will be security officers patrolling the grounds; if asked just tell them why you are there. Normally the stable manager will be there most of the night. She'll probably be out and about in her golf cart. I see that the NC Dept. of Agriculture will be checking Cogggins. Make sure you have a copy with you.

New Stabling Directions from CHP:
Barns N-O-P (X-C side of the Park)
At the Five Points intersection, go STRAIGHT ahead on Montrose Rd to Gate 1. Turn Left into additional stabling area. Follow signs to stabling: BARNS N-O-P
Barns A-M (Show Office side of the Park)
At the Five Points intersection, take a RIGHT onto Calloway Rd. to Gate 8. Turn Left onto gravel driveway. Follow signs to stabling: BARNS A-M

CarolinaHurricane
Sep. 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
"
I will either be the starter or have a large red fawn greyhound attached to me"

As an excited spectator, I will have a 12yr fawn greyhound and a. . .12 WEEK brindle baby greyhound with me. We'll look out for your red--maybe they can say "hi" :)

CANTEREOIN
Sep. 18, 2006, 05:58 PM
My horse is on the trailer heading down to NC and I'm at work (paying for all of this). I fly down Wednesday afternoon. So, why, if work pays for all of this, do I feel guilty that I'm not doing the work of horses.

pegasusmom
Sep. 18, 2006, 07:19 PM
Anyone know if the HP allows late-night arrival?

Im writing out our trip and it is looking like we should get there around 8pm (if we dont hit any DC/Baltimore traffic!) Will there be someone at the gate to let us in? Or what time does the park close?

Stable manager is Whitney Digney - she is located (her horse) in Barn A-2 and she stays in her trailer on the grounds - located right by the show office. So she will definitely be there and her cell number is posted at the stabling assignments board.

PLEASE!! make sure you enter the horse park from Calloway Road at Entrance 8 unless you are stabling in Barns N, O, or P. Trailer traffic on Montrose Road by the park becomes a nightmare. Stabling assignments are also posted at the CHP website.

pegasusmom
Sep. 18, 2006, 07:21 PM
""

As an excited spectator, I will have a 12yr fawn greyhound and a. . .12 WEEK brindle baby greyhound with me. We'll look out for your red--maybe they can say "hi" :)

Absolutely! We will be out and about the entire weekend!

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 19, 2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks Muck r Us and Pegasusmom for the very helpful info about where to enter the Park and how to find our stabling; I will be "caravanning" with one of my students, and I will fill her on on all of this! (Plus the need to bring a copy of her Coggins...:)

My Whippet and I will be on the lookout for Leo the greyhound (and any other sight hounds! ;))

I must go to bed--have been exhausting myself with all the prep, and strained a back muscle on Saturday to boot, which has been in spasm ever since :sigh: (but of course that didn't stop me from riding in a clinic, schooling a greenie, riding my own horse, and continuing to do all my regular "heavy lifting" and stenuous horse-related activities--a fact that *so* exasperates Mr. Dr. D that he is compelled to lecture me: "I will feel *no* pity for you if you're too crippled up to ride by Thursday!", he crabs...:uhoh: But then he helps me anyway, bless him...:p)

Anyway, hopefully we will all survive the preparations and the trip down there, and will have a great time in NC--I for one am *really* looking forward to it, and am hoping to meet some "new COTHers", along with everyone else, of course...:D

drjuliea
Sep. 19, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'm going with bambam, asterix, mythical84, and Steph as official braider, nose-wiper, hand-holder, video filmer, Propel carrier, buddy, groupie, beer-drinker and living-vicariously-thru-you-guys, fun-having groom! I can't wait!!!!

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 19, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hey drjulia,

(Or anyone else who braids :D)--My student might want/need someone to braid her horse for her on Thursday morning, if they can do a good job and not charge an arm and a leg ;)...She rides at 9:25.

If anyone might be able to do this, could you PT me with details, how much you would charge, etc...??

She may still just opt to do it herself, but she is (self-admittedly) "not the greatest braider", so (considering this IS the AECs, after all) I might gently nudge her in the direction of hiring someone else to do it...:p

Invested1
Sep. 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
Ok, I'm walking out the door to start my drive down---YAY!!!

I packed mostly shorts/gym pants and tank tops; and I'm generally in a white Virginia hat. If anyone sees me, please say hi---I'd LOVE to meet some more COTHers!!!

Have safe drives/rides!!! :D

bambam
Sep. 19, 2006, 03:25 PM
Dr. D- I will butt in and answer your question. drjuliea won't be in NC in time to braid for you. We don't head down until Thursday (plus I am not sure I am willing to share my groom extraordinaire ;) Just kidding).
I do know somebody who is down there now and a great braider but I don;t have contact info for her down there

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 19, 2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up bambam--hopefully we'll work something out! :)

flutie1
Sep. 19, 2006, 07:21 PM
"I will either be the starter or have a large red fawn greyhound attached to me"

Oh Dana, no coonhounds left? I still have one old girl, vaguely related to Flutie.
I'll be at the AEC's, arriving Thursday afternoon. Have to learn how to do them for next year.
Look forward to seeing you. I'll keep an eye out for the greyhound.

Flutie

Midge
Sep. 19, 2006, 07:54 PM
Dr. doolittle I am a professional braider and will be working at AEC. I sent you a PT.

pegasusmom
Sep. 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
"I will either be the starter or have a large red fawn greyhound attached to me"

Oh Dana, no coonhounds left? I still have one old girl, vaguely related to Flutie.
I'll be at the AEC's, arriving Thursday afternoon. Have to learn how to do them for next year.
Look forward to seeing you. I'll keep an eye out for the greyhound.

Flutie

Nope Flutie - no coonhounds left:cry: . . . save the lovely head shot of Wild Goose Chase on my living room wall. . . I'll be at the start box all Thursday afternoon, and all day Saturday - Friday I am taking time out to just be the mom. Leo is seriously cool however and may very well have some coonhound in him somewhere in his dark distant past.

mtk9122
Sep. 19, 2006, 08:47 PM
Just got back from the Horse Park and am posting this for the volunteer coordinator. There are volunteer opportunities open for those who have some free time from Wed straight on through. If you can help, please contact Laurie Rose email rowz@earthlink.net or drop by the packet pick up tent and let her know you can help. If you want her phone number, please PM me.

Thanks in advance!

mythical84
Sep. 19, 2006, 11:36 PM
Alright, so I've never been to the CHP before and let me tell you ... it's gorgeous! Nicki (I'm grooming for her) and I are already planning a trip down here over the winter for a horse trials. :)

The weather is quite warm during the day and somewhat humid. It just stormed here though, so that might change. Also for those of you still packing ... BRING BUG SPRAY and FLY SPRAY for your pony. The gnats are just horrendous. And if you have a fly sheet I would bring that along too.

Alright, well I'm off to bed, Nicki has a 10:24 dressage time and then my sis (nowoncourse) and Steph will be arriving in the early afternoon. Basically I'll be the one being traded between the two parties. haha.

FairWeather
Sep. 20, 2006, 09:28 AM
We're headed down this afternoon, and i'm totally geeked! How do we find other COTH'ers? At the exhibitors parties? What about bailing twine on your wrist, or Duct tape stuck strategically onto our bodies? ;)