sidepasser
Jan. 1, 2007, 06:21 PM
Happy New Year Debbie,
Thinking of you,
Sidepasser

Irish Momma
Jan. 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
Happy New year Debbie
Jingles for your continued rehab progress.

eventingblog
Jan. 3, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm new to posting on COTH but a long time reader. I posted this tonight on the Eventing Blog where I'm a co-writer:

http://eventing-blog.com/2007/01/03/debbie-atkinson--eventer-extraordinare.aspx

I stole the title from the Area III site:eek:

We've only been writing since November but we have several hundred readers from around the world every day, so I do hope it helps!

Margie

http://eventing-blog.com

SR Rider
Jan. 15, 2007, 07:05 PM
With this encouraging news of Debbie's return home, let me close this thread which has received so much attention the past several months. 40,000+ hits...that is pretty incredible and probably close to a record on COTH...a
fitting tribute to a wonderful and courageous lady. Debbie, you will be in our thoughts and prayers and we will follow your progress through your website and through your friends.

Classic Melody
Feb. 8, 2007, 10:45 PM
Reading about Kim Meier made me think about Debbie. Hope she is still doing well and keeping her spirits strong!

pawsplus
Feb. 15, 2007, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know how Debbie is doing at home? :)

pawsplus
Mar. 2, 2007, 12:08 PM
ANYONE?????

GreyDun
Mar. 2, 2007, 02:51 PM
Last I heard she was doing well, has a motorized wheelchair so she's able to go outside on nice days, and has a new lap dog to keep her company :) She does respond to email, but I'm not sure of her address... if you PM me I could probably find it. I'm sure she'd appreciate a visit or a call! If you got your latest e-newsletter from USEA, there should've been a little blurb in there about her (in the same section as Kim Meier). If not, check on our website under "What's New" and I believe it's there.

fivecats
Mar. 3, 2007, 07:31 AM
Debbie's website is http://www.usea3.org/Debbie-Atkinson/

shr
Apr. 23, 2007, 02:51 PM
Help Support Injured Riders while visiting Rolex!
This past year 3 event riders suffered devastating injuries and are now facing significant and unplanned medical, rehabilitation and living expenses. They are also unable to continue their careers at this point. Debbie Atkinson was injured last fall at Kentucky Classic, Kim Meier in a schooling accident in January and Ralph Hill in a fall at Poplar Place in March.

They need your help – and you can do something about it while at Rolex!

At the USEA Area VIII booth, located in Sponsor Village next door to the USEA, you can show your support by purchasing lapel ribbons, wristbands and posters which have been graciously donated by individuals interesting in helping these riders. You may also be approached by a pony clubber – a hopefully-irresistible wandering ambassador of this effort - to purchase one of these items. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these items will be directed to support Ralph, Kim & Debbie.

You may also make a tax-deductible contribution specifically for the benefit of one or more riders by writing a check made out to one of the financial aid funds which have been established in each case. Financial aid information is available and these donations are being accepted at the Area VIII booth and will be promptly forwarded to the designated fund.

Please help support Debbie, Kim and Ralph as they face their challenges. Every bit helps – stop by the booth and see how you can participate!

lucky dog farm
Apr. 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
SHR,
What can we do to help them? Is there someplace to donate money or something for them? Thanks

eventingmom
Apr. 23, 2007, 04:06 PM
Can one buy the wrist bands and ribbons and stuff anywhere else?

kacey'srider
Apr. 23, 2007, 06:40 PM
How can those of us who won't be at Rolex buy wristbands?!?!
Help Support Injured Riders while visiting Rolex!
This past year 3 event riders suffered devastating injuries and are now facing significant and unplanned medical, rehabilitation and living expenses. They are also unable to continue their careers at this point. Debbie Atkinson was injured last fall at Kentucky Classic, Kim Meier in a schooling accident in January and Ralph Hill in a fall at Poplar Place in March.

They need your help – and you can do something about it while at Rolex!

At the USEA Area VIII booth, located in Sponsor Village next door to the USEA, you can show your support by purchasing lapel ribbons, wristbands and posters which have been graciously donated by individuals interesting in helping these riders. You may also be approached by a pony clubber – a hopefully-irresistible wandering ambassador of this effort - to purchase one of these items. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these items will be directed to support Ralph, Kim & Debbie.

You may also make a tax-deductible contribution specifically for the benefit of one or more riders by writing a check made out to one of the financial aid funds which have been established in each case. Financial aid information is available and these donations are being accepted at the Area VIII booth and will be promptly forwarded to the designated fund.

Please help support Debbie, Kim and Ralph as they face their challenges. Every bit helps – stop by the booth and see how you can participate!

mikew
Apr. 24, 2007, 11:31 AM
Many have asked how to get these items - wristbands, posters, ribbons, t-shirts, etc. - if you are not at Rolex? You will be able to - but the details on where to order, who to send $ to and how they will be shipped are not quite done. There will be specifics posted after Rolex on how you can do this ...

Look for more info on posts here and on carepages.com!

purpleice
Apr. 24, 2007, 04:40 PM
as an area viii alum, i hear there will be a table set up at rolex to help. is this true? what will be offered etc?

annikak
Apr. 25, 2007, 07:41 AM
Okay, here is something that I have been mulling over and here goes. Debbie is "one of us" in Area VIII, albeit a new member, I consider her part of our family here in Area VIII. I know I cannot get it done at Rolex, but I can do it via ebay, and there is a section of Ebay that was dedicated to Not For Profit type fund raising. So, I was thinking...

KNow all that tack, breeches, whatever that is horse related? Lets have an on-line garage sale of horse things. We could set up a paypal acct for Debbie, or just agree tha some largish portion of the profits go to Debbie. I have a rather large box started. (Oh, to still be the 24 I once was, those KY breeches I never wore are in there!!!:cry: )

Perhaps Erin would allow a thread on the classifieds for this? I shall PM her and ask.

Just an idea. There was SO much efforts for Kim, and it seems that Debbie did not get the same shake. I am glad that Area VIII is selling things for everyone- but perhaps a bit more could be raised for Debbie this way.

Any other ideas?

FWIW, I have never met Debbie, but I hear from many MANY sources that she is a delightful person, filled with a special kind, cheerful spirit. I hope she is at Rolex so I can meet her.

SR Rider
Apr. 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
I am all for more help for Debbie. If you get details worked out, start a new thread about it instead of burying it in here. I saw Debbie at Rolex Friday and introduced myself. I was one of the fence judges when she had her
accident and stayed with her until they made me leave.

One Star
Apr. 30, 2007, 08:54 PM
Okay, here is something that I have been mulling over and here goes. Debbie is "one of us" in Area VIII, albeit a new member, I consider her part of our family here in Area VIII. I know I cannot get it done at Rolex, but I can do it via ebay, and there is a section of Ebay that was dedicated to Not For Profit type fund raising. So, I was thinking...

KNow all that tack, breeches, whatever that is horse related? Lets have an on-line garage sale of horse things. We could set up a paypal acct for Debbie, or just agree tha some largish portion of the profits go to Debbie. I have a rather large box started. (Oh, to still be the 24 I once was, those KY breeches I never wore are in there!!!:cry: )

Perhaps Erin would allow a thread on the classifieds for this? I shall PM her and ask.

Just an idea. There was SO much efforts for Kim, and it seems that Debbie did not get the same shake. I am glad that Area VIII is selling things for everyone- but perhaps a bit more could be raised for Debbie this way.

Any other ideas?

FWIW, I have never met Debbie, but I hear from many MANY sources that she is a delightful person, filled with a special kind, cheerful spirit. I hope she is at Rolex so I can meet her.

I'm not in the immediate Area VIII family, but count this Area I/Area III cousin in on your plans. :D I have clothes, tack, and grooming items that can go up for auction at a virtual yard sale.

P.S. For those who were asking, Ralph wristbands will be for sale at Poplar Place this coming weekend.

QLuke
Apr. 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
I was at Rolex and saw Debbie during both Dressage and Stadium in the Patron area. What I want to know is why the organizers at Rolex didnt give her honorary tickets into the Sponsor tent? or if they did and she didnt want them? Of course, if they didnt they should be ashamed.

subk
Apr. 30, 2007, 11:20 PM
I just got off the phone with one of her friends whom she spent the weekend with and my friend felt the organizers did a great job with Debbie. As I understand it the set up of the sponsor's tent was not one that made for advantageous viewing for her. But when she needed something they just asked and it was immediately taken care of.