PDA

View Full Version : Update on Max

Jessi P
Aug. 30, 2006, 09:03 AM
We have been very successful with our auction, raising over $800!! This will be enough for Max's purchase price and pay for worming/feeding/bedding him til he goes to his new home, and there should be enough left over to pay towards his shipping bill once we decide where he is going to go. Yeay!!

As I have told many people, Max was entered to race this past Saturday night in the last race at Mountaineer. He was scratched that night and I was worried that something "bad" had happened to him. So the next morning I made sure to ask the trainer's wife about Max. She said that there was so much speed in the race Max wouldn't have had a legit shot to win, plus no one wants to run in the last race aka the "midnight handicap" so they scratched and will re-enter him. To me this is excellent news - they are looking out for Max's best interests and trying to give him as good a shot as possible in his (probable) last race. And the extra time is a bonus for him - more time to get as sound as possible. Dont get me wrong - he is not lame on one leg more than the other, he is considered "racing sound" but barely. Max is body sore and run down, but hopefully this little break will help make his last race a good one. BUt not good enough that his trainer decides he wants to keep running him!

So that is our Max update - keep thinking good thoughts for him and thanks again!

Saskatoonian
Aug. 30, 2006, 12:49 PM
Tooners wants you to tell Max that if he just lopes along waaaayyyyy at the back of the pack, he'll stay out of trouble and his trainer won't want to race him anymore so he can retire to be completely spoiled. ;) Good luck Jessi, and thanks for doing this for him!

luvmytbs
Aug. 30, 2006, 03:05 PM
Tooners wants you to tell Max that if he just lopes along waaaayyyyy at the back of the pack, he'll stay out of trouble and his trainer won't want to race him anymore so he can retire to be completely spoiled.

Same advice from my guys in KY. Wish they could talk to each other on the phone.

Jessi I hope he COMES HOME soon!

charlieo
Aug. 31, 2006, 01:10 AM
I was wondering what happened --- I checked out all the races and didn't see the entry. Jessi, you have a PM

summerhorse
Aug. 31, 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think he's been entered yet. He's been running badly for a long time, why do they expect a sudden miraculous reversal in form? It sounds like he is protecting himself by not exerting himself. Let's just hope there aren't more horses in the next race that are protecting themselves even more!

Linny
Sep. 1, 2006, 09:55 PM
MAX has alot of folks in Saratoga pulling for him, some of them pretty important folks!
jsflwr joined me for the day yetsreday and I hope she had fun. I enjoyed meeting her and spending the day. I told everyone in the joint about MAX in the last few weeks.

A Splash of Color
Sep. 4, 2006, 02:05 PM
Dear Linny,

Thank you for a fantastic day at Saratoga on Thursday. The sights, the sounds and the people were wonderful.

I wish that all those who put down racing folk as being uncaring could have been flies on the wall to witness the spontaneous and enthusiastic responses from those to whom you explained that we are trying to give an old racing thoroughbred a well-deserved retirement. Their sincerity and concern was moving and genuine. Of course, the "neigh"-sayers would have to open their minds to appreciate this…. Sleetwood Mac truly does have a lot of folks pulling for him at Saratoga, from the backstretch to the clubhouse!

Your many and varied vantage points at The Spa afforded me some nice photo ops and opened my mind to some interesting new possibilities. When the images have been uploaded to an on-line album, I’ll post the link. It was great to dust off the old camera and have some fun. And now I understand why so many racing fans regard Saratoga as the Mecca of race tracks.

Thanks for letting me have a glimpse behind the scenes. Watching your broadcast live is completely different from catching it on TV. You’ve got a great vantage point. You’ve also got a great crew.

Linny, your "Day At The Spa" was a wonderful idea!

Kudos!

And good luck to Sleetwood Mac. He's entered in the fifth at Mountaineer on September 8. Go slowly and safely, Sleetwood.

A Splash of Color
Sep. 8, 2006, 10:23 AM
Sleetwood Mac runs tonight in the 5th at Mountaineer.

Max worked 4 furlongs on Tuesday:
"Date: September 5, 2006
Track: MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 50:80 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

On a lighter note, here are some photos from my "Day at the Spa" with Linny:
Saratoga Race Photos (http://www.jsflwr.phanfare.com/album/110794)

Classic Melody
Sep. 9, 2006, 01:28 PM
Great pictures from Saratoga!!

Does anyone have an update after Max's race?

luvmytbs
Sep. 9, 2006, 04:22 PM
He came in fifth.

Jessi P
Sep. 10, 2006, 08:31 AM
Ok guys, here is another Max update!

I have good and bad news.

Good news first:

As luvmytbs mentiones, Max came in 5th - he laid 2nd early and got a bit tired and was 5th. I saw him after the race and to the trainer's credit Max has gained a little weight and looked better than he did the last two times he raced. He was fairly sound after the race - moreso than after previous races.

Bad news #1 - Max has to run again. Trainer was pleased enough with his performance - "He just got a little tired down the lane" that he will run Max again. I went to ask him the following morning and he said "The price just went up." I told him "That's ok, we will wait." Maybe he thinks I want him to run him, I dont know.

Then he laid bad news #2 on me:

He is dumping another horse this week - an old class horse named Sugar Mags. Sugar is a 97 model by Miswaki who has earned a bunch of money (but not for this trainer). He says Sugar is a good horse for someone to lay up and bring back next year - which means he is pretty sore at the moment. Didnt say what is wrong with him specifically. But he wants $500 for him, he goes on the truck next week.

I am disappointed about Max, but glad that he ran an improved race. Wish we could have bought him this past weekend.

And I am heartbroken about Sugar, who was a heck of a nice horse here in his younger days.

But on the brighter side, this trainer is trying to work with us - as long as he keeps offering the horses for sale to us at a reasonable price before the killer truck we can try to do our best by each one. One at a time, I guess. Oy.

Classic Melody
Sep. 10, 2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the update, Jessi. Guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks. Is there a local TB rescue that could pick up Sugar?

Did you get my Paypal thing - I think I got it sorted out. I can't believe how anal they are about everything!

summerhorse
Sep. 10, 2006, 10:47 PM
That trainer represents everything that is wrong with the racing world (NO I'm not saying the whole world is rotten just that there are too many of them like this). Never mind him reneging on his word, has that horse hit the board at all this year?

Now comes the it's a rescue, I can hold them up for more ransom part. (I wonder how much he thinks he'll get for a corpse if/when that horse breaks down?)

Why not call the kill buyer that works that area and ask him how much he does pay for horses of that size? I bet it's closer to $300. Then you are in a position to bargain. I hope you can send the info. on this other old chap around to a lot of TB rescues and see if they can round up the funds to save him. Or find out where the kill buyer takes them and when he goes have someone ready to go to the auction to bid on him.

merrygoround
Sep. 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
Generally horses at that time are bought by the pound. And the killer buyers are usually happy to make a few $$ extra, and sell the horse to anyone who wants it.

And sadly, even bad trainers want to eat, & are eternal optimists. Sadly, they are pragmatists too.

Good luck with Max.

Linny
Sep. 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
I'd be happy to help with Sugar if I can...

summerhorse
Sep. 11, 2006, 11:06 AM
I guess Sugar needs somewhere to go first. =(

Jessi P
Sep. 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
Summer this trainer is a businessman above all. He is really trying to do the right thing by giving us the oppt'y to buy the horses before they go on the truck. We bought a filly from him like this about a month ago and found her a racing home with a trainer who will keep her forever, even after she is done racing. There just are not enough homes waiting to take a sore horse who has known nothing but racing - even for free. Remember the cheapest part of getting a horse is the purchase price.

We cannot forget that this is a business and these horses are inventory. All we can ask is a fair shot to get the horses, one at a time, into good homes instead of into a can. I make no judgement calls on trainers who choose to send them to the killers but instead focus on the chance we have to get these horses before the killer guy. I am nobody to judge someone else for what they do - that is between them and their conscience. And I know of many a trainer who has very sadly sent a horse to auction (esp over the winter) because they need the money to put food on the table, pay the rent to have somewhere to live, or buy feed, hay and straw for their other horses. And I dont even want to hear "If you can't afford it, dont choose that occupation." This is a lifestyle that chooses YOU - and you can go from top of the heap to bottom of the barrel in weeks. So I refuse to sit in judgement of my fellow trainers. I concentrate instead of what good I can do instead of worrying about the actions of others.

I have been drilling this concept into daughter Lauren's head this week -

"Don't blame Joey for getting you in trouble by distracting you from your work - pay attention to your work instead!!"

"Dont fume over (3 yo) Dylan getting into the chemistry set that YOU left where he could get it even tho I told you to put it UP."

"Dont tell me Nappy is a bad pony because he won't pick up a canter while you have a death grip on his mouth." Hopefully it will get thru her head eventually - but I am not very optimistic lol.

Linny I just don't know what to do to help with Sugar. I don't want to try to solicit funds for him since we just had the auction for Max (who STILL remains in training, unfortunately).

I thought of using Max's funds to buy Sugar then put that $$ back in Max's fund with my own $$, but 1) Darren would kill me and 2) those funds aren't mine to make that decision with. It was donated for Max, not Sugar. And if we did get him, what would we do with him....???

There was an organization who was going to donate $$ towards Max's purchase price, anyone remember who that was? Maybe we can get them to contribute towards Sugar.

I am going to look up his breeder info and see what I find. Wish me luck!

Jessi P
Sep. 11, 2006, 12:38 PM
OK....... looks like the breeder was

John Kluge's Morven Stud, Ltd. But there was a dispersal sale in 2000 and I am unsure of the farm's status. Anyone have a minute to google?

Classic Melody
Sep. 11, 2006, 04:43 PM
Whoa - John Kluge is a international media zillionaire. No joke - see http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/K/htmlK/klugejohn/klugejohn.htm I used to live in the part of the Virginia where he had his farm. For him, breeding racehorses would be a side, "prestige" business rather than how he made his living. Sugar would have started with all the advantages in life a racehorse could hope for, that's for sure.

If he is still alive, Kluge has got to be very old. I'll bet the dispersal sale came when he was either too frail to run the business anymore, or he passed away. In other words, I don't know if they can help you with Sugar. Although ... there have to still be millions of dollars still sitting around. If a member of the family remembered Sugar ... I guess it would be too much of a longshot. They probably sold him as a yearling. I'm just rambling on now!

YoTambien
Sep. 11, 2006, 06:48 PM
Would that be the same Kluge after whom the University of Virgnia Kluge Children's Rehabilitation Center was named?

17handtb
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:13 PM
Indeed it is, YoTam:

http://www.virginia.edu/topnews/releases2001/klugegift-may-25-2001.html

More about John Kluge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kluge

Here is contact info for the foundation named after him - Jessi, or anyone, want to try getting in touch about Sugar? It can't hurt, especially if good PR is promised in return.

The John W. Kluge Foundation
c/o Edward A. Hopkins
15004 Sunflower Ct. Rockville, MD 20853-1748
Telephone: (301) 929-9340

Jessi P
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:33 PM
HOLY SMACKERONIES! Mr Kluge is indeed a rich man - net worth of $9 BILLION??????

Rest assured, I WILL be calling them in the morning. Maybe I could get a bit more of a donation from him. He has been very generous - I am sure with his wealth he needs many tax deductions...

This snippet is the from the wikipedia link provided by 17hd TB at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kluge

In celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Library of Congress, Kluge donated an unprecedented $60 million to create the John W. Kluge Center at the Library of Congress. It was created as an academic center where accomplished senior scholars and junior post-doctoral fellows might gather to make use of the Library's incomparable collections and to interact with members of Congress. In addition, his gift would establish a $1 million dollar prize to be given in recognition of a lifetime of achievement in the human sciences, comparable to the Nobel Prizes in literature and economics. The Kluge Prize would honor lifetime intellectual achievement in the same way as the Kennedy Center Honors recognize lifetime achievement in the performing arts.

Acknowledging the scholarship funds that enabled him to attend, Kluge gave more than $110 million to Columbia between 1987 and 1993, primarily to endow financial aid for undergraduates from underprivileged backgrounds. His donations also help many of these students pursue Ph.D.s after they graduate by financing their doctoral studies.

17hd, YoTam, thanks for the background and contact info. YoT I got your PM, but have no time to reply til I get kiddos lassoed into their beds. Sometimes I wish I could velcro them down. At least with horses you can stick em in a paddock or stall and walk away for up to several hours... :D :D

I love my rugrats, honest. Just sometimes want to tear my hair out at bedtime..... :eek: :yes: :lol: :winkgrin:

YoTambien
Sep. 11, 2006, 08:47 PM
Jessie,
You can let them know that The Exceller Fund whole heartedly supports your efforts and this could be a double winfall of publicity for them:

1. Breeder makes good for a horse that is down on his luck.
2. Another Thoroughbred Rescue organization visted the Kluge Children's Rehab Center with a CELEBRITY Thoroughbred - none other than Seabiscuit (aka Rich In Dallas) who was a Celebrity Therapy Horse for a day to the thrill and delight of the children.

You can print out this letter:
http://excellerfund.org/images/VALetter.jpg

and also direct them to these pages on our website:
http://www.excellerfund.org/horses/rid_news.htm (scroll down near the bottom)
http://www.excellerfund.org/horses/rid_blog_uva2.htm

At the time, Paul and Kelly were a chapter of ReRun, and The Exceller Fund co-promoted Dallas along with ReRun. I am sure Rich In Dallas would be delighted to make another visit to the Children's Center - all they need to do is ask.

Jessi P
Sep. 11, 2006, 09:16 PM
Gotcha Yo T, I am printing this all out so I can prepare what I want to say tomorrow on the phone. Thank you so much. I will probably get a voice mail or something, that would be my luck. :eek:

But I will do my very best because this could be a great oppt'y for us and the racehorses in need. :yes: :D :yes:

Think good thoughts!

YoTambien
Sep. 11, 2006, 09:59 PM
Gotcha Yo T, I am printing this all out so I can prepare what I want to say tomorrow on the phone. Thank you so much. I will probably get a voice mail or something, that would be my luck. :eek:

But I will do my very best because this could be a great oppt'y for us and the racehorses in need. :yes: :D :yes:

Think good thoughts!

Jingle chain, jingle chain, jingle all the way......

Jessi P
Sep. 12, 2006, 08:51 AM
On the phone now w/ Edward Hopkins, but it aint lookin good.

He has me on hold while calling the person who was more involved with the horses "way back when." They only have 2 retirees now and are "out of the horses now but for those 2."

Jessi P
Sep. 12, 2006, 08:56 AM
I just can't believe this. I was my most convincing, listed all the reasons why they might want to contribute to this particular horse, and his colleague remembered the mare Sugar is out of, Windmill Point. Mr Kluge sold this horse as a yearling for $150k. And sold a half brother a couple years later for $800k.

They are "going to pass" on helping Sugar.

There are no words for how I feel at the moment.

:cry: :sadsmile: :cry:

If a BILLIONAIRE cant be responsible for horses they breed when it comes to keeping them out of a can, how can I be expected to help them???

One at a time, I guess.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Classic Melody
Sep. 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
That seems impossible!! :cry: I looked up Kluge on switchboard.com to see if there was any off chance you could contact the family directly, but there were no Kluges listed for central Virginia. I am CONVINCED that the right person will at least loosen up a few hundred dollars for Sugar's bail, much less provide him with a retirement home! Do you know who the "other person who was involved with the horses" was? Maybe if you spoke with him or her directly .... don't give up. And write a letter, too. Maybe it will end up in the right hands. :(

17handtb
Sep. 12, 2006, 10:58 AM
I'm so sorry, Jessi. :( You tried...

CANTER NE recently experienced the same thing when calling a VERY wealthy and well-known stud farm in KY - a horse they'd bred was in dire straits at Suffolk Downs. The gentleman we talked to at the stud farm was extremely polite and apologetic, but said, in effect, that they "could only help so many" and "had already supported other TB rescue efforts in the past."

I think he genuinely felt bad, but they 1) BRED this horse, which to me at least, implies some responsibility and 2) have horses standing for stud fees that are about 200 times what we were asking for in terms of financial support to get this horse away from the person who had him and was threatening to dump him. (Thankfully, the horse ended up being placed privately with a wonderful woman who just wanted to save his life.)

Maybe those with a lot of money in the racing industry fear if they say yes to one, the flood gates will open and the need will become endless...but I can't help but think of the good they could do with just a $500 or $1000 donation. That's a drop in a big, big bucket for them, isn't it? :no:

I just can't believe this. I was my most convincing, listed all the reasons why they might want to contribute to this particular horse, and his colleague remembered the mare Sugar is out of, Windmill Point. Mr Kluge sold this horse as a yearling for $150k. And sold a half brother a couple years later for $800k.

They are "going to pass" on helping Sugar.

There are no words for how I feel at the moment.

:cry: :sadsmile: :cry:

If a BILLIONAIRE cant be responsible for horses they breed when it comes to keeping them out of a can, how can I be expected to help them???

One at a time, I guess.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 12, 2006, 01:05 PM
First - Jesse - happy that Max is doing better but sad that he isn't coming home to you!

Second - for A Splashof Color - I agree. All I knew when I got my horse was that he had been abused on the track. And it was clear he had been abused. However, as i find out more about his history, I am beginning to realize that while he was abused, I can't lay all the blame on the track. And people like Judge's trainer Sandy just go to show you that you can't lump these trainers together. I would so rather work with them to re home TBs!

I just sent to Shiloh, promised CANTERSoIL something for the upcomiong auction, but I can send a dribble for Sugar. Just let me know!

YoTambien
Sep. 12, 2006, 07:09 PM
Unflippin believable. But then again, I guess that's how wealthy people stay wealthy.

I will have faith in what Jesus says - that it is easier for camel to go through the Needle's eye gate than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 12, 2006, 07:39 PM
What I don't get is that if I can squeak up $10 or $15 EVERY time there is a need...why can't a billionaire cough up a few hundred? Sheesh. I am orders and orders of magnitude NOT a billionaire.

luvmytbs
Sep. 12, 2006, 09:26 PM
What I don't get is that if I can squeak up $10 or $15 EVERY time there is a need...why can't a billionaire cough up a few hundred? Sheesh. I am orders and orders of magnitude NOT a billionaire.

And that's why we will always be horse poor, but at least we can go to bed at night, knowing that we did some good for the horses in need. And that's priceless. :yes:

Jessi P
Sep. 13, 2006, 12:14 AM
Just a quick note before bed.. I stopped the trainer tonight about Sugar - asked him if he could wait til the weekend and I would give him the $500, but he said "well I got rid of him today."

So I can only hope another trainer got him with the intent to lay him up for next year..

YoTambien
Sep. 13, 2006, 12:35 AM
Just a quick note before bed.. I stopped the trainer tonight about Sugar - asked him if he could wait til the weekend and I would give him the $500, but he said "well I got rid of him today."

So I can only hope another trainer got him with the intent to lay him up for next year..

Damn! I sure hope so. :(

17handtb
Sep. 13, 2006, 12:41 AM
Jessi, can you find out for sure where Sugar went? If he's going to the auction, there are people who may be able to look out for him and help him. Please PT me if you'd prefer.

annikak
Sep. 13, 2006, 07:26 AM
just saw this- summer directed me this way. I will PT you....

Annika

Classic Melody
Sep. 14, 2006, 12:23 AM

He's not going to just get rid of Max without telling you, is he?

Jessi P
Sep. 14, 2006, 08:21 AM
He's not going to just get rid of Max without telling you, is he?

No.... because he knows the $$ is already in place to buy him AND he wouldn't get as much from the killer dude. Dick usually pays $300 or thereabouts. And the trainer is very motivated to make every dollar he can.

summerhorse
Sep. 14, 2006, 10:32 AM
No.... because he knows the $$ is already in place to buy him AND he wouldn't get as much from the killer dude. Dick usually pays $300 or thereabouts. And the trainer is very motivated to make every dollar he can.

Did you contact the killer buyer to see if he got him? Why won't the trainer just say who got him? If he "got rid of him" that doesn't sound like he sold him to a trainer. But if he sold him to a dealer then he might very well be within retrieving distance before the next sale (Friday? Sat?) or truck if the guy has a feedlot.

Jessi P
Sep. 14, 2006, 07:03 PM
Did you contact the killer buyer to see if he got him? Why won't the trainer just say who got him? If he "got rid of him" that doesn't sound like he sold him to a trainer. But if he sold him to a dealer then he might very well be within retrieving distance before the next sale (Friday? Sat?) or truck if the guy has a feedlot.

Yes, I did call Dick, our local killer buyer, and gave him the horse's description, name, and my name and number. He said that the trainer had called him a week ago about picking one up but he hadnt heard from him since then.

If I keep nagging at this trainer he will completely shut down on me and not even speak to me, let alone let me buy the horses so they dont go to auction, so I certainly don't want to aggravate him with a bunch of questions that he could perceive as "nagging."

It's a tough spot.

17handtb
Sep. 14, 2006, 07:29 PM
Jessi, there are a couple of kind souls who go to Sugarcreek regularly. If you can PT me with Sugar's description we can ask them to keep an eye out for him.

luvmytbs
Sep. 14, 2006, 08:31 PM
Jessi P

you have a PM

Jessi P
Sep. 15, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hey... I responded via PM but will include Sugar's description here :

Keep in mind it has been maybe 6 months or so since I have seen him in person so I am going off memory! ;)

Stout chestnut (dark chestnut, not bright), with minimal white, approx 16 hands. He would probably have a longer mane and a mohawk bridlepath than most fit and running racehorses.

He does resemble his sire, so I will post a link to a pic of Miswaki - http://tinypic.com/5ybxgi

You can see how stout his Daddy was (RIP Miswaki) and Sugar is the same color.

Thanks again to anyone who can keep an eye out for him.

Linny
Sep. 15, 2006, 08:55 AM
If someone on or connected to this bb finds Sugar and takes him, I will pledge more goodies at auction (should one be held) or donate the value of such stuff.

Someone bid on some Slew memoribilia on the Max auction and never contacted me. I think the high bid was $30 or $40. I'll donate at least that to Sugar.

summerhorse
Sep. 15, 2006, 10:45 PM
Is there any way to do a reverse look up of his tattoo number using his name so someone looking at all those chestnuts could ID him? I guess even his age/letter would help narrow it down.

Jessi P
Sep. 15, 2006, 10:56 PM
Sugar is a 1997 model.

Linny.... you never heard from your person about the Slew memorabilia?? It WAS paid for, right? Did I miss something?

ACK!

A Splash of Color
Sep. 16, 2006, 12:02 AM
IIRC, Sugar Mags is a chestnut. Don't recall his markings.

Also, for what it's worth, he was bred by Morven Stud. Again, subject to the accuracy of my recollection.

(Have I taken my ginko biloba recently? ;) )

Good luck.

luvmytbs
Sep. 16, 2006, 08:21 AM
Sugar is a 1997 model.

That would make the letter an A

17handtb
Sep. 18, 2006, 09:37 PM
Jessi - please check your PTs, re: Sugar.

summerhorse
Sep. 21, 2006, 12:27 PM
Any news on Sugar or is he another lost soul?

What about mac? Has he been entered yet?

Jessi P
Sep. 23, 2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Summer... no news on Sugar - I will try to get the trainer's wife aside tomorrow and see if she knows who bought him. I saw Max this morning coming back from the track - he looked good, and was pretty even up front. He still has those big pineapple ankles of course.

And here is using the term "Horsemen" loosely ...

Forbes 'Richest Americans' List Includes Horsemen
by Ryan Conley
(snip)

Among those connected to the Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry that made the list are:

Rank, Name, Net Worth, Source
25th, John Werner Kluge,$9.1 billion, Metromedia

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35435

IMHO a horseman wouldn't turn his back on a horse he bred headed in a bad direction. Even a BILLIONAIRE isn't exempt from the responsibility.

summerhorse
Sep. 23, 2006, 11:03 PM
IMO a billionaire has even MORE responsibility. HE (or they) can afford the "ransom" without blinking an eye whereas many other breeders may very well be on a shoestring budget and feel bad but not be able to help. But of course that is how some people stay so rich and some of us are doomed to be forever poor I guess!

A Splash of Color
Sep. 25, 2006, 01:48 PM
Sleetwood Mac is entered to run on September 29, 2006 at MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT

Race: 10
Post Position: 12
Distance: Five And One Half Furlongs
Surface: Dirt
Sex: Gelding
Race Type: Claiming (indiv. claiming price $5,000)
Purse: $11,200
Jockey: either Huber Villa-Gomez or R.A. Stokes III
Trainer: Amalia B. Cox

Race conditions: FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NOT WON TWO RACES SINCE SEPTEMBER 29, 2005. Three Year Olds, 117 lbs.; Older, 121 lbs. Non-winners of a race since August 29 Allowed 3 lbs. A race since July 29 Allowed 6 lbs. Claiming Price $5,000.

Last Raced: 09/08/2006 at MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT in Race 5

Finish Position: 5th

Last Reported Workouts:
09/05/2006-MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT-Four Furlongs-Dirt Fast-50:80 Breezing
06/20/2006-MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT-Five Furlongs-Dirt Fast-1.07:00 Breezing
02/26/2006-MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT-Three Furlongs-Dirt Good-39:00 Breezing

jenarby
Sep. 25, 2006, 09:17 PM
That's weird that your notification has him down as post #12. He's actually in post #10. (MNR only runs 10 posts).
I am in that race so I'm excited to finally see Max in person. The last time one of my horses was in a race with him he was scratched.

A Splash of Color
Sep. 29, 2006, 11:39 PM
Sleetwood Mac finished fifth. The race (10th) was won by Storm Gulch.

Max's part of the footnote reads "Sleetwood Mac sent hard, pressed inside of rival to lane, weakened in drive."

Jessi P
Sep. 30, 2006, 07:46 AM
Max ran better at 50-1, but didn't help his eligibility by finishing 5th. He has 3 races left here, unless he finishes 4th or better.

The race was won by Max's unofficial "stablemate" owned by Loren G Cox ("L G"), the hubby. Max was sent to the front, killed off early speed then LG's Storm Gulch closed fastest and won. I watched the race in person but didn't stop back at the barn afterwards - I will see them this morning.

Hey Jen, did you have something in that race?

summerhorse
Sep. 30, 2006, 10:08 PM
Max ran better at 50-1, but didn't help his eligibility by finishing 5th. He has 3 races left here, unless he finishes 4th or better.

The race was won by Max's unofficial "stablemate" owned by Loren G Cox ("L G"), the hubby. Max was sent to the front, killed off early speed then LG's Storm Gulch closed fastest and won. I watched the race in person but didn't stop back at the barn afterwards - I will see them this morning.

Hey Jen, did you have something in that race?

Never thought I'd pray for a horse to finish last 3X in a row...

A Splash of Color
Sep. 30, 2006, 11:39 PM
You've got to admire Max's unwaivering willingness to try. Like the Energizer Bunny, he just keeps going and going and going....

Jessi P
Oct. 1, 2006, 08:35 AM
Talked to Amalia (trainers wife) last night and she was telling me the riders list of excuses. Jock said Max was 'getting out,' didn't like being hit, and his saddle was slipping. From her expression I believe she was implying they were a bunch of typical BS jockey excuses. But he came out of the race in good order and will run again. He ran well enough, finishing 5th, for them to keep going with him. I thought he ran a much improved race as well.

jenarby
Oct. 1, 2006, 07:30 PM
Jessi, We ended up scratching out of that race. I hope we can get Max soon. Sounds like he ran his little eyeballs out.

summerhorse
Oct. 9, 2006, 10:47 AM
Any updates on how Max is doing? Does he look well?

summerhorse
Oct. 10, 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Summer

Max trains (swims) at his owner's farm and comes into the track to breeze, so I haven't seen him since his last race. I asked Amalia about him and she says he is doing well and her hubby is looking for another race for him.

Thanks! That's nice they can swim him!

Jessi P
Oct. 10, 2006, 08:06 PM
Hi Summer

Max trains (swims) at his owner's farm and comes into the track to breeze, so I haven't seen him since his last race. I asked Amalia about him and she says he is doing well and her hubby is looking for another race for him.