PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga 2006 - is here! And they're off ...

Glimmerglass
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:15 AM
Is anyone else excited that finally Saratoga time is almost here? :D

Saratoga Race Course's 36-day meet begins Wednesday, July 26, and runs through Labor Day, Sept. 4. There is racing every day except Tuesdays, and the first race is at 1 p.m. Exceptions are Travers Day, Saturday, Aug. 26, when the first race is 12:30 p.m. and Friday, Sept. 1, when twilight racing debuts with a 3 p.m. start.

The Jim Dandy Stakes (G2) which will be aired on ESPN, is July 29th and the field will include Preakness winner, Bernardini, who put in a bullet of a workout at Belomont yesterday.

DRF 7-18-06 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/76550.html)

Bernardini shows he's fast and fit
Tom Albertrani is not one of those trainers who prefer to work their horses fast. So take it as a sign that Preakness winner Bernardini is champing at the bit to run in the July 29 Jim Dandy following a five-furlong workout clocked in 58.70 seconds Monday morning at Belmont Park.

After three relatively slow breezes, Bernardini was ready to roll on a steamy morning, carving out fractions of 12.62 seconds, 24.14, and 35.01, meaning he got his last quarter in 23.69 seconds. Belmont clockers caught him galloping out six furlongs in 1:12.28.

Anyone else looking forward to this classic summertime racing meet?

dianad
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Wish I could go! That is my old stomping grounds (Ballston Spa) and my favorite birthday ever is still the one when my Dad took me, an 8 year old horse-crazy, horseless kid, to have breakfast and watch the horses work. <sigh>
For the best pies EVER go to Mourningkill Bakery in Ballston Spa, my family still has a huge orchard and makes the best pies!

Maybe next year...:sadsmile:

Glimmerglass
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:36 AM
BloodHorse 7-18-06 "Jazil to Miss Travers with Bruised Cannon Bone" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34476)

The Travers could be thin with top-end talent - no Discreet Cat, no Barbaro, no Jazil, no Bob and John, no Bluegrass Cat (Haskell instead, I think), no Deputy Glitters (same), no Showing Up (will be running on turf) ....

Glimmerglass
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:54 PM
(Cross posted from another thread as it fits here well)

The New York Racing Association announced Tuesday that the New York Lottery is sponsoring this year's Mid-Summer Derby. (http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/sports/default.asp?ArID=186025)

Talk about cheapening the image - these guys couldn't get something a tad more premium like Charles Schwab or another financial company? You have more key target folks up from Manhattan and Wall Street for the Spa then most other sports events save for the US Open and Yankees games. Why then have the lottery, why, why?

They couldn't instead get Chas. Freihofer? Adirondack Water? etc.

Linny
Jul. 18, 2006, 02:55 PM
Private sponsorship is great. One public agency sponsoring another (NYRA is a non-profit but heavily state controlled organization) is yet another drain on the taxpayers of NY.

The fact is that it's just too difficult to go out and court private industry and the Lottery operates all those nifty slot machines...

Glimmerglass
Jul. 19, 2006, 06:50 PM
Times Union Newspaper (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=501037&category=&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/19/2006)

$16 million racehorse coming to Saratoga
The Green Monkey, the 2-year-old thoroughbred sold for a record price, is expected to debut this season

By TIM WILKIN, Staff writer
Wednesday, July 19, 2006

ELMONT -- The Green Monkey is coming to Saratoga Springs.

It's not a new restaurant or automobile, and it's not a new liquid concoction at Siro's. The Green Monkey is a thoroughbred race horse, and he's expected to make his first career start at Saratoga Race Course sometime during the 138th meet, which starts Wednesday.

The Green Monkey, a 2-year-old son of Forestry, sold for a record $16 million in March at a Fasig-Tipton horses-in-training auction at Miami's Calder Race Course.

Trainer Todd Pletcher said he has not chosen a race for what is sure to be a ballyhooed debut, but he hopes he will run sometime during the Spa's 36 days.

``He is a very laid-back horse, very easy to train,'' Pletcher said at his barn at Belmont Park on Wednesday morning. ``He might be the most highly anticipated 2-year-old to race there, who knows. I know he's the most expensive.''

The Green Monkey was bought by Coolmore Stud, a group led by John Magnier and Michael Tabor. He was named after a Barbados golf club of the same name that has connections with Coolmore. He went for such a high price after running an eighth of a mile in under 10 seconds before the sale. Horses typically cover that distance in about 12 seconds.

Pletcher, who has won the past four Spa training titles, said he is not going to rush this horse.

``I don't want to make any mistakes with him,'' Pletcher said. ``I'm not saying he has to win the first time out, but I am going to play it careful and make sure he is as ready as we can get him. Every once in a while you run one and think `If I had just one or two extra works with him.' I won't do that with him.''

Photo of the aforementioned Golf Course: The Green Money in Sand (http://www.supertravel.co.uk/golf/golfcourses/images/barbados_greenmonkey.jpg)

Linny
Jul. 19, 2006, 07:16 PM
I've heard he's not training well.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:59 PM
Perhaps Marylou getting the shaft, to some degree, would spurn her and John to buy back the old Greentree Stable facility which is the Stonerside Stable at Saratoga ;) Last I knew it was forsale for $19 million ...

Saratogian 7-23-06 "Whitney name big as ever in racing" (http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16956907&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=349537&rfi=6)

So it came as a shock when Marylou and her husband John Hendrickson learned they were not going to get stalls for all their horses at Saratoga Race Course; seven are stabled at Saratoga Raceway.

[John] feels that, having discussed this with Hayward over a period of time, the stable has been treated unfairly -- enough so that Whitney colors may not race at Saratoga in 2007.

'It is not -- absolutely not -- that anyone here is looking for special treatment,' Hendrickson said. 'I just think that with everything that Marylou and the Whitneys have done for racing, especially Saratoga racing, that this could have been worked out.'

Glimmerglass
Jul. 24, 2006, 01:34 AM
Times Union 7-23-06 "On Saratoga farm, a dream is born; Thoroughbred foal holds promise of thrills for racing owner, even though odds don't favor a winner." (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=501995&category=REGIONOTHER&BCCode=LOCAL&newsdate=7/23/2006)

"We do call it a business because once in a while your assets appreciate to a level you can't imagine. You can end up with a horse, by luck or wise choices, that can change your life. You can't do that with a sailboat." -Joe McMahon

A very nice, lengthy article on the McMahon's operations (of Funny Cide fame most notably) and foaling operation. Pictures as well :) a single page, print version here (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=501995)

Linny
Jul. 24, 2006, 01:25 PM
Mrs Whitney's new trainer has done her no favors. She should take her stock back to Zito.

tradewind
Jul. 24, 2006, 02:12 PM
I love Saratoga...my dad took me 3 times as a teenager...its some of the fondest memories of my childhood..I am really hoping to get up there this year..but my mom is really sick, so I am not sure I will be able to do it..Hope everybody who does go, has a really wonderful time.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2006, 07:45 AM
Last year I recall more then a few cases were some very good horses did not perform up to snuff and a credible defense was the cramped, mandated security barn stay. Thankfully it has been improved this year ...

DRF 7-24-06 "New security barns get thumbs up " (http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/headlines/showarticle.aspx?articleId=11517)
excerpt

The security barns are used to house horses beginning six hours before they are to race. Only track vets and the horse's trainers are allowed in those barns, which first debuted at Belmont in the spring of 2005.

At Saratoga, where there is a premium on stall space, NYRA used only two barns that housed about 30 horses and utilized temporary stalls to house another 70. The temporary stalls, constructed under tents, were only 9 feet by 9 feet and had limited electrical capacity. Moreover, the plywood floors initially did not have rubber mats, and horsemen feared their horses slipping and injuring themselves.

By brokering a deal with Saratoga Gaming and Harness to acquire 47 stalls at the harness track, NYRA was able to utilize an existing barn with 50 stalls as a third security barn. Moreover, the temporary stalls are much bigger - 11 feet by 12 feet - than last year and are each equipped with individual electrical outlets. Those stalls are under a tent.

By eliminating two of three temporary structures, there is much more room in the security-barn area, including an area for horses to graze.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2006, 07:57 AM
And interesting article on the migration up from Belmont to Spa

Albany Times Union 7-25-06 "The cast rolls in for Spa's show" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=502428&category=LIFE&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/25/2006)

Once a year in late July, the busiest weekend for moving racehorses, the leads to Saratoga Race Course, home of the country's premier thoroughbred meet. By the time racing begins Wednesday, 1,655 horses will be stabled there, most arriving in vans streaming up the Northway.

As [Shug] McGaughey's horses fill the four vans, Don Gambill, an executive with Sallee Horse Vans, one of the country's two major horse-transport companies, watches and talks on his cellphone.

Sallee has 16 vans heading from Belmont to Saratoga. Brook Ledge, the other major carrier, has 22. Gambill says he's counted 14 vans from smaller companies this morning at Belmont.

"It's like the circus leaving town," he says.

FLAbreds
Jul. 25, 2006, 08:00 AM
Times Union 7-23-06 "On Saratoga farm, a dream is born; Thoroughbred foal holds promise of thrills for racing owner, even though odds don't favor a winner." (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=501995&category=REGIONOTHER&BCCode=LOCAL&newsdate=7/23/2006)

"We do call it a business because once in a while your assets appreciate to a level you can't imagine. You can end up with a horse, by luck or wise choices, that can change your life. You can't do that with a sailboat." -Joe McMahon

A very nice, lengthy article on the McMahon's operations (of Funny Cide fame most notably) and foaling operation. Pictures as well :) a single page, print version here (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=501995)

We purchased one of our broodmares from the McMahon's. Very pleased with our mare and would do business with them again. They're so nice! :D

This will be the 2nd year in a row that we won't be going to Saratoga. Next year though!! Come hec or high water!! :yes:

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2006, 08:26 AM
Preakness winning Bernardini will be facing a grandson of Spectacular Bid: Minister's Bid (by Deputy Minister out of Princess Pietrina - Spectacular Bid)

Minister's Bid is a perfect 2 starts, 2 wins with wide applause for his efforts:

Brisnet Daily Notebook Keeneland 4-13-06 ("http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi?id=4051)
6TH - MINISTER'S BID (Deputy Minister) had an amazing career debut for trainer John Ward as he broke dead last in this maiden special event before gradually making his way through the field on the backstretch and taking over the lead coming off the turn. The three-year-old colt then widened that lead through the stretch to hit the finish line 8 3/4 lengths clear of the field, making mincemeat of the Keeneland speed bias.

Linny
Jul. 25, 2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone planning on attending the races? I'll be there alot. If anyone wants to meet up for some racing chat or even an adult beverage send me a PT.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2006, 10:06 AM
Anyone planning on attending the races? I'll be there alot. If anyone wants to meet up for some racing chat or even an adult beverage send me a PT.

My wife and I will only be able to get there for the last weekend :( So we'll try and see if we can attend the twilight race card on Friday Sep 1 (The With Anticipation Stakes for 2-yr olds on turf) and most certainly go see with other friends The Forgo (G1) and The Woodward(G1) on Sat Sep 2nd. Drinks will be a necessity :)

monicabee
Jul. 25, 2006, 11:48 PM
I'm missing Saratoga this year (now I am in the Pacific Northwest it is a bit of a trek) but will be wearing my best hat to the barn tomorrow in honor of the day. Perhaps a dress as well, though the muck boots might spoil the look...

Most of all I will miss backstretch mornings like the one when I saw Angel Cordero exercising a horse, and he waved to me.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2006, 09:03 AM
The Times Union's Saratoga Page - good to bookmark! (http://www.timesunion.com/saratoga/)

Thursday 7-27 will be the Todd Pletcher bobblehead giveway.

Saratoga Special daily paper & updated from ST Times (http://www.st-publishing.com/saratogaspecial/)

Today's big feature is the six-furlong G3 $100k Schuylerville Stakes for 2-year-old fillies, a race not held last year but was recently won by Ashado in 2003.

PP HORSE, JOCKEY; TRAINER
1 Chief Officer, Velasquez C; Mott William I
2 Expertise, Prado E S; Lukas D Wayne
3 Baroness Thatcher, Bejarano R; Romans Dale
4 Becky's Flute, Desormeaux K; J Jerkens H Allen
5 Angel Island, Bridgmohan S X; Blasi Scott
6 Frances G, Borel C H; Pitts Helen
7 Audacious Chloe, Gomez G K; Pletcher Todd A
8 Cotton Blossom, Velazquez J R; Pletcher Todd A
9 Desire to Excel, Smith M E; Breen Kelly J

NMK
Jul. 26, 2006, 02:16 PM
Can we catch up on Weds the 2nd? I'll be up for the Dominion Award Luncheon and the races later that day...

Nancy

spooked
Jul. 26, 2006, 02:55 PM
I'll be there Sat, August 12 for the night and races on Sunday. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I wish I could go for longer, but my job is seasonal and don't dare ask for time off! I was there a couple of years ago with a bunch of friends for the Honorable Miss Stakes, which we knew the owner of the winner. Too much fun, after she won, we had a private party in one of the rooms, went to a cook out and the owner of the filly sponsered drinks at the Parting Glass until 4 in the morning. I get hungover just thinking about it! We stayed at the Brentwood (?) which is across the street from one of the track enterences, so you can watch the horses going to the track in the morning. Then after coffee in the gazebo, we just walked into the track to catch training. I have a 2 year old that (and I know this sounds cheezzy, but) my dream is to saddle him at Saratoga next year. Can't wait to see it in the program, owner, trainer & breeder. Who knows, I'm just breaking him now and he's brillant. I just hope he's as fast as he is smart!!!!! His mom, who I own, was a stone cold runner and has a heart the size of Texas.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2006, 05:29 PM
Today's big feature is the six-furlong G3 $100k Schuylerville Stakes for 2-year-old fillies, a race not held last year but was recently won by Ashado in 2003.

PP HORSE, JOCKEY; TRAINER
1 Chief Officer, Velasquez C; Mott William I
2 Expertise, Prado E S; Lukas D Wayne
3 Baroness Thatcher, Bejarano R; Romans Dale
4 Becky's Flute, Desormeaux K; J Jerkens H Allen
5 Angel Island, Bridgmohan S X; Blasi Scott
6 Frances G, Borel C H; Pitts Helen
7 Audacious Chloe, Gomez G K; Pletcher Todd A
8 Cotton Blossom, Velazquez J R; Pletcher Todd A
9 Desire to Excel, Smith M E; Breen Kelly J

Results of Race 9 - Schuylerville Stakes (http://www.drf.com/results/26/rSAR26.html?rn=964381#9)

1 - Cotton Blossom (Todd Pletcher) - paying a nifty $18.60 to win
2 - Desire to Excel
3 - Chief Officer

Baroness Thatcher was scratched.

The best straight payoff of the day?

Race #3 with "Busters Rodeo" (Our Father Stables) paying $53.50 to win!

Linny
Jul. 26, 2006, 09:13 PM
Can we catch up on Weds the 2nd? I'll be up for the Dominion Award Luncheon and the races later that day...

Nancy

Absolutely! I'll be there. PT me and we'll make arrangements.:D

hitchinmygetalong
Jul. 27, 2006, 09:02 AM
Anyone know what happened to Frances G (who went down hard just a few strides from the finish in the Schuylerville Stakes)????

Glimmerglass
Jul. 27, 2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone know what happened to Frances G (who went down hard just a few strides from the finish in the Schuylerville Stakes)?

From the news wires:

As the leaders crossed under the wire in Wednesday's Schuylerville Stakes , Frances G fell, throwing jockey Calvin Borel from his mount.

Frances G fell about 100 yards from the wire due to exhaustion. Neither horse nor jockey Calvin Borel was injured.

Frances G stayed on the ground for several moments, but then got to her feet and was vanned off. Her spill forced a steward's inquiry, but there were no disqualifications.

hitchinmygetalong
Jul. 27, 2006, 10:25 AM
Oh Glimmerglass, THANK YOU! It looked HORRIBLE and I can't bring myself to watch the replays. I hope the poor baby will recover fully and not be ruined (mentally) by the fall. :cry:

Glimmerglass
Jul. 27, 2006, 10:25 AM
Aside from the solid 27,346 crowd and the record opening day handle both on-site and total, there were track speed records to be set:

Silver Timber set a Mellon Turf Course record by running 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:01.34. That eclipsed the mark of 1:01.46 set last year by Second in Command. Coincidentally, Linda Rice trained both horses.

The first 2-year-old maiden race produced a potential star as City Snitch, a troubled fourth as the 3-5 favorite in his debut at Churchill, rolled to an 11 1/4-length win under apprentice Julien Leparoux. His final time of 1:03.88 was only 0.56 of a second off the track record of 1:03.32 set by Mayakovsky in 2001. Trainer Patrick Biancone said City Snitch would likely to run back in the Saratoga Special on Aug. 17.
source: DRF/ESPN 7-26-06 (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2531020)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2006, 08:10 AM
An interesting bit of news, although I think Agent Mullder just wants to get to watch the horses race and make some money while "doing his job for country" :D

Times Union 7-28-06 "Track now on FBI's watch" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=503424&category=SARATOGA&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/28/2006)

Horse racing fans attending big races at Saratoga Race Course this year will be joined by some armed federal agents hidden in the crowd.

I think Al Qaeda doesn't exactly have America's premier racing event on their list .. or at least very high on it ;)

Linny
Jul. 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
Most of the horses in the Travers this year will be owned by Arabs. The Travers has "protection."

Frances G was in her stall on Thursday. She fell from heat exhaustion there was some concern that she may have injured herself falling.

Some notes from Friday at the Spa
:lol: Wayne Lukas intoduced me to a colt who he says will "make him famous." The horse is named Pegasus Wind and he runs on Sat in race 2.

:D Rick Violette says Cool The Economy exited her Thursday maiden win well and will point for another start at the meet, possible a stake.

:) I saw Michael Matz with DD and kids, said hello but we were moving in different directions at the time, no chance for chatter. He has horses in Races 1 and 3 Saturday.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2006, 06:02 PM
Most of the horses in the Travers this year will be owned by Arabs. The Travers has "protection."

:D

Claudius
Jul. 29, 2006, 02:15 PM
I saw DD and kids out hound exercising with Cheshire a couple of days ago. Beyond a wave and a nod, can't bring myself to be the 10,000th person to ask about Barbaro!!!! Saw her at a show earlier with the kids, and it just feels like a courtesy to allow her to just be there like anyone else.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 30, 2006, 11:29 AM
(Rather then slide this article under the Bernardini thread which was becoming yet another homage to Michale Matz, sorry folks, its getting a tad excessive IMHO, I thought I'd stick Bernardini's effort here)

His romp even made ESPN's #5 top sports highlight of the day! A shame that Spectacular Bid's grandson couldn't have closed the gap up a bit more.
Times Union, Albany NY (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=503974)

Bernardini just brilliant
Nine-length romp in Jim Dandy shows Preakness win no fluke

By MATT GRAVES, Special to the Times Union
Sunday, July 30, 2006

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Any remaining skeptics who professed that Bernardini's victory in the Preakness was little more than a byproduct of Barbaro's demise may have been converted by the A.P. Indy colt's resounding performance Saturday in the Jim Dandy.

Navigating a sloppy Saratoga main track with little more effort than an extended morning workout, Bernardini stamped himself as the clear-cut 3-year-old divisional leader with a nine-length victory over Minister's Bid in the 43rd renewal of the Travers prep.

"I was a little bit worried about the sloppy track," said trainer Tom Albertrani. "I wasn't sure how he'd handle the race track, but (ex-jockey, ESPN analyst) Jerry Bailey called me this morning and asked me what I thought. I said a good horse can run on anything."

Bernardini has certainly established himself as a "good" horse with three consecutive graded stakes victories after taking the Jim Dandy.

A late start in his career forced Albertrani to skip the Kentucky Derby, but he's made up for lost time with victories in the Grade II Withers and Preakness before giving Albertrani his first victory in the Jim Dandy and ending a three-year Todd Pletcher domination in this race.

This race was virtually over shortly after the field of six passed the stands for the first time with jockey Javier Castellano establishing his position in front and never yielding it. At times, Castellano appeared almost bored as the Darley Stable star displaced the slop with hog-like efficiency.

"I had plenty of horse in the end," said Castellano, who inherited the mount on Bernardini in late April for the Withers. Edgar Prado, who rode Barbaro in the Kentucky Derby, had broken Bernardini's maiden in Florida on March 4. "I didn't want to beat him up."

Bernardini, the son of stakes-winning dam Cara Rafaela, has won his last four starts by a combined 25 3/4 lengths and covered the nine furlongs in an as-he-pleased 1:50 2/5.

"I guess there was a lot of doubt in people's minds about the Preakness victory," Albertrani said. "He showed today what a really good horse he is. I've been saying all along how good this horse is. I think we are going to see better things from this horse later on. I don't think we're going to be fearing anyone in the Travers."

The Midsummer Derby has been moved back an extra weeks and is now four weeks behind its local prep this year, which is fine with Albertrani. And the way he finished this race, it appears the Travers distance of 1 1/4 miles should be no problem even though it will be the longest challenge for him to date.

"He ran pretty much how I was hoping," Albertrani said. "Javier said he had a lot left. We knew there wasn't much speed in there, and it looked like Minister's Bid could be the only other horse to outrun us to the first turn."

Castellano would not allow that to happen, and Minister's Bid, part of a John Ward-trained entry with Dr. Pleasure, found himself in a chasing mode the entire way around. He briefly gave up second in the stretch to late-running long shot Hemingway's Key in the stretch before ragining the place spot by a head.

"Bernardini is one nice horse," said Ward of the 1-2 winning favorite. "We knew what he was like going into the race. We really liked Bernardini coming down the lane. He was balanced and his ears were pricked. My two horses were like fifth-graders in the detention barn or the study hall. They were not focused and they have to get better with that."

Prado did his best to stay with the eventual winner, but in the end was only battling for second money of $100,000 in the $500,000 stake.

"You really can't take anything away from Bernardini," said Prado. "He got out there and we tried to stay with him through the far turn, but he just kept pulling away."

It was deja vu for Castellano, who won the middle jewel of racing's Triple Crown with similar facility on May 20 in the colt's previous start.

"He's such a classy horse," Castellano said. "He felt just like he did in the Preakness. It was just perfect. After the race he was so calm, and he wasn't blowing at all."

Iride
Jul. 30, 2006, 07:44 PM
"My two horses were like fifth-graders in the detention barn or the study hall. They were not focused and they have to get better with that."

My fave quote of the day :lol:

I was there yesterday and I have to say, Bernardini was impressive to the nines. And talk about g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s !!

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2006, 11:06 AM
For those interested in seeing the Bernardini replay: Saratoga Stakes Videos - see Jim Dandy S. (http://www.nyra.com/Saratoga/video.asp?track=S#)

No registration required.

I don't think Javier Castellano ever put his crop on him once. As Tom Durkin said as he cruised to the finishline "he didn't even break a sweat and its 90 degrees here".

Rather premature (although he is adding a much needed boost of excitement) is this exceptionally glowing article:
NBC Sports 7-30-06 "Bernardini could be Horse of Year; Intimidating run in Jim Dandy may make fans forget about Barbaro" (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14105354/)

The Darley Stable star loped home without being stung by the whip and trotted back to the unsaddling area as if his exertion was light exercise. He assumed the pace setter’s position from a very fast Minister’s Bid from the gate, cut fractions that were decent while a length on the lead, and then separated himself from the competition like a mouse from a cat. Is this a horse for the ages?

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2006, 11:15 AM
Today's action (Monday July 31st): Times Union 7-31-06 (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=504128&category=SPORTS&newsdate=7/31/2006)

Notable: Today's third race offers an interesting matchup between Andromeda's Hero and Wilko. Trained by Nick Zito, Andromeda's Hero finished second behind Afleet Alex in last year's Belmont Stakes. He's looking for his first win in seven starts this year. Wilko, who has $1.8 million in career earnings, hasn't won since capturing the Breeders' Cup Juvenile in 2004. .

As I recall Wilko put in a great effort in the Dubai World Cup, taking 2nd, although he finished finish last in the seven-horse field of the G1 Suburban Handicap at Belmont on July 1st. That race was won by the impressive Invasor (Arg).

Also news ....

The Green Monkey's day

The Green Monkey was up early, out galloping on the Oklahoma Training Track at 6 a.m. (Sunday) Pletcher said he could have his first full workout at the Spa on Tuesday. The previous time he worked, The Green Monkey ran five furlongs at Belmont Park.

"He has settled in here very well," Pletcher said at his barn Sunday morning.

Pletcher has not yet picked a race for The Green Monkey but the plan is still for him to run toward the end of the meet. John Velazquez, the regular jockey for Pletcher's barn, will be The Green Monkey's rider when he gets to the races.

Pletcher, though, joked that he might change his mind and bring the legendary Angel Cordero Jr. out of retirement. Cordero, a Hall of Famer, is Velazquez's agent.

"We might need Angel because we might not get enough coverage for his first start," Pletcher said with a laugh.

:D

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2006, 06:04 PM
Today's action (Monday July 31st):
Also news ....Notable: Today's third race offers an interesting matchup between Andromeda's Hero and Wilko. Trained by Nick Zito, Andromeda's Hero finished second behind Afleet Alex in last year's Belmont Stakes. He's looking for his first win in seven starts this year. Wilko, who has $1.8 million in career earnings, hasn't won since capturing the Breeders' Cup Juvenile in 2004.

Andromeda's Hero won the race, Wilko was last :(

Glimmerglass
Aug. 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
He's at Spa, but Tagg and Sakatoga are scrounging for some 1 3/16th or maybe longer race for older horses, preferably a restricted stakes race for NY bred horses. If NYRA was smart they would've accomodated this on one of the lighter days at the end of the meet. Funny Cide still is a huge draw years later!

Funny Cide breezed on the main track on Monday morning, finishing the 4-furlong workout in :48 2/5. He wasn't pushed by any means and was only 23 of 88 clocked times.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 2, 2006, 12:36 PM
The heat is too much and NYRA calls off Saratoga Racing for Wed

NY Newsday 8-2-06 "Saratoga races canceled due to heat" (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spspa0803,0,4814776.story?coll=ny-top-headlines)

Trainers, jockeys, the track veterinarian and New York Racing Association officials met during the morning and unanimously decided to call off the day's card.

"The consensus in the room was to take the ultimate precaution and cancel the entire card for the safety of all participants," said NYRA senior vice president Bill Nader. "Racing will resume tomorrow and Friday's card will be expanded to a 10 race program."

While individual races have been canceled by severe weather in the past, Nader said this is the first elimination of a full card since NYRA took over operation of the 142-year-old track in 1955.

Iride
Aug. 2, 2006, 01:23 PM
Glimmerglass - yes, and I heard it's possible they'll call things off tomorrow too.

What they don't say in their release (as a reason for the cancellation) is that the spectators just won't show up when it's this hot. ...In addition to the safety factor as the reason for cancelling.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 2, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yes The Green Monkey, not to be confused of course with Brass Monkey of Beastie Boy fame (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWNHt0OnSdM&search=brass%20monkey) ;)

The Green Monkey Breezes; Start Still Undetermined
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 8/2/2006 1:00:20 PM

The Green Monkey, the record $16 million 2-year-old purchase, breezed five furlongs in 1:03 2/5 over Saratoga's main track Wednesday morning. Retired Hall of Fame jockey Angel Cordero Jr. guided the Forestry colt in the workout, sixth-fastest of eight working the distance.

"He worked well. He's getting closer," trainer Todd Pletcher said. "Each work gets us closer."

The Green Monkey went his first quarter-mile in :26 and finished on even terms with stablemate Wild Union. Pletcher is still undecided as to when the colt's much anticipated debut might take place.

"He won't run in the first condition book," he said. "I haven't seen the second condition book, but hopefully, by the end of the meet he will be ready to run."

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 2, 2006, 04:36 PM
All year, I daydream about the Saratoga meet and it's finally here :cool: I'll be back two more times this summer, I hope. I'll keep an eye out for COTHers.

My Saratoga photos from this weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/sets/219439

http://www.finalturngallery.com/Alibhai

Glimmerglass
Aug. 2, 2006, 05:16 PM
Wow - Alibhai's Alibar - some really fantastic photos you took! Thank you for sharing!

Ever take any steeplechase shots at the Breeders' Cup Far Hills races there in Jersey?

Linny
Aug. 2, 2006, 05:31 PM
All year, I daydream about the Saratoga meet and it's finally here :cool: I'll be back two more times this summer, I hope. I'll keep an eye out for COTHers.

My Saratoga photos from this weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/sets/219439

Great pics. We met (unlnowingly) at AQU last year. When are you coming back?

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 2, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wow - Alibhai's Alibar - some really fantastic photos you took! Thank you for sharing!

Ever take any steeplechase shots at the Breeders' Cup Far Hills races there in Jersey?

Thanks so much! No, I have not gotten out there yet but I'm planning to see it one of these years.

Linny, I'll be up with my husband the weekend of the 12th and then hopefully again for at least one day of Labor Day weekend.

I was so lucky this weekend. It was a lovely, chilly morning on Sunday and both racing days were pretty nice- quite a far cry from this oppressive weather that we have today in NY *and* NJ.

Iride
Aug. 2, 2006, 08:03 PM
Alhibai - fabulous pix! May I ask what camera you use?

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 3, 2006, 12:20 AM
Alhibai - fabulous pix! May I ask what camera you use?

Thanks! My camera is a Nikon D70s.

War Admiral
Aug. 3, 2006, 12:04 PM
Heard a rumor (and saw it again on another thread here) that Saratoga is cancelling races owing to the heat. Can anyone confirm?

Glimmerglass
Aug. 3, 2006, 12:40 PM
Heard a rumor (and saw it again on another thread here) that Saratoga is cancelling races owing to the heat. Can anyone confirm?
A story like what I posted yesterday? (below)

The heat is too much and NYRA calls off Saratoga Racing for Wed

NY Newsday 8-2-06 "Saratoga races canceled due to heat" (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spspa0803,0,4814776.story?coll=ny-top-headlines)

War Admiral
Aug. 3, 2006, 02:35 PM
Ah, thanks. Must have missed that thread or post. My apologies.

NMK
Aug. 3, 2006, 02:52 PM
The ONE DAY --I mean only ONE DAY per year I get to go and they cancel the races. Which, is a good thing safety-wise, and I support it, but can you believe the luck? Does anyone know if they cancelled today too?

Ah, the SPA, so wonderful. I did spend some time in the Museum and so did LOTS of race fans. If only it were closer. Linny, good to chat with you--sorry for the cell drop. Congrats to Pete from Delaware for winning the Dogwood Dominion Award. Truly deserving for sure.

Nancy

Linny
Aug. 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
Of course, NMK, they ran today.:rolleyes: Figures.

You need to stay an extra day next time, just in case.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 4, 2006, 02:07 PM
New York Times Aug 4, 2006 "Saratoga’s Grand Dame Must Forgo Big Night Out" (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/04/sports/othersports/04racing.html?_r=2&ref=othersport&oref=slogin)

In fact, Whitney’s indomitable reputation has prompted a parlor game among the barroom as well as the benefit crowds: Will she, or will she not, make her first public appearance Saturday at the racetrack to present the trophy to the winning owner in the 79th running of the Whitney Handicap?

“Oh darling, I’d certainly love to, but I’m taking it day by day,” she said, acknowledging it has crossed her mind. “But in this heat I don’t want to faint. We’ll see how I feel on race day.”
I certainly hope she will make it :)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 8, 2006, 01:42 PM
It was nice to see Marylou hand out the Whitney Trophy to the connections of I N V A S O R, which I simply cannot do justice in my enthusiastic pronunciation of as ESPN's Kenny Mayne can :D

An interesting article from today's Times Union. Does anyone else see some degree of irony in a restauraunt owned and run by a jockey? A person who stereotypically is depicted as deprived of food and good food at that ;)

Albany Times Union 8-8-06 "Leon Goes from Horses to Fajitas (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=506454&BCCode=&newsdate=8/8/2006)

"We came here just in time to invest the money," Leon said. "In less than six months the property value had doubled. Making $50,000 a year as a New York rider was very tough, and I can do 10 times better by running this place."

But Leon wasn't quite ready to leave racing. Once his business got off the ground, he found himself riding for fun -- at Aqueduct last winter, at Finger Lakes three weeks ago, and at Saratoga on the first Saturday of the meet.

An interesting aside for the many legions of 'rescue' folks who frequent these boards:
(at the) Equine Advocates Annual Awards Dinner & Charity Auction Aug. 3 .. Staci and Arthur Hancock, who bought 1982 Kentucky Derby winner Gato Del Sol from a farm in Germany where he had been at stud, were honored for their work promoting the welfare of horses.Times Union 8/8 "Disco raises horse rescue funds" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=506510&BCCode=&newsdate=8/8/2006)

Gato actually returned back to the US in 1999, was pensioned immediately and lives in Kentucky at Stone Farm, Paris.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 9, 2006, 11:43 AM
What timing - if he does race - as I'll be there for the Woodward :D

FANTASTIC!

Funny Cide possible for Woodward
Thoroughbred Times Aug 9, 2006

After registering his first graded stakes win in 21 months in the Dominion Day Stakes (Can-G3) on July 1 at Woodbine, Funny Cide might move back into Grade 1 company in the Woodward Stakes (G1) on September 2 at Saratoga Race Course.

Trainer Barclay Tagg would prefer to start the six-year-old Distorted Humor gelding in a lighter spot, but he has not found a suitable one for the 2003 champion three-year-old male and Kentucky Derby (G1) winner.

"It depends on who goes in there and who doesn't," Tagg said on Tuesday. "We've got that on the radar screen. I'd rather have him in an easier race than that, but there just isn't much around for him. There were a couple of races this summer, but we just opted not to go to them because of the hot weather."

Tagg has long maintained that hot weather can be particularly bothersome for Funny Cide, who has a history of respiratory problems.

Funny Cide has not raced in a Grade 1 since he finished sixth in the 2005 Suburban Handicap (G1). His last Grade 1 win came in the 2004 Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (G1). He won the 1 1/4-mile Dominion Day by 1 1/2 lengths for his second win in seven starts this year.

"He's not a great hot weather horse," Tagg said. "Even up there although he won and it wasn't the hottest day in the world, it was around 85 or 86 degrees. He didn't run one of his better numbers or anything like that. He's doing well. He had a nice gallop this morning and a nice breeze a couple days ago. We're just trying to wait out the summer and keep him fresh and happy."

Grade 1 winners Commentator, Flower Alley, and Silver Wagon are also candidates for the 1 1/8-mile Woodward, along with Whitney Handicap (G1) runner-up Sun King.

Funny Cide's last workout I have a notice for was:

Date: August 6, 2006
Track: SARATOGA
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:62 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

Glimmerglass
Aug. 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
The "old man" does it at age 10 in his (almost) swan song at Saratoga, and first official race start of the year since injury last fall, he'll retire at the end of this year. In the mean time - Hirapour wins the A.P. Smithwick Memorial Stakes, Thursday at Saratoga ($79,500) :)

WIN > Hirapour (IRE) w/McCarron up (lugging 158 lbs)
PLACE > Good Night Shirt (carrying 150 lbs)
SHOW > Mauritania (carrying 146 lbs)

Congratulations!

The only Grade I stakes jump race at Saratoga will be the $150,000 New York Turf Writers Cup on Aug. 31 with Hirapour as the early favorite.

Bred by His Highness the Aga Kahn in Ireland, by Kahyasi and out of Himaya, Hirapour was used as a work horse, urging the better horses along in training. But his heart wasn't in it. Picked up then by an English trainer, Hirapour was groomed for the jumps, and in short time won five races before coming up for sale ..

His record after today: 39 starts: 16-7-4 (of which jumping is 20 starts 11-5-3)

Prior today's race: Capital News 9 (Albany) - video link - of steeplechasing at Spa (http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/headlines/?ArID=188363&SecID=33)

SteeleRdr
Aug. 10, 2006, 01:47 PM
Great to hear Glimmer!!! I've always admired Hirapour!!

If I had only put him in my fantasy stable this year instead of McDynamo....

Hirapour will retire after the season, so they are trying to go for the Eclipse with their fall campaign, I'm rooting for him!

Linny
Aug. 10, 2006, 03:28 PM
I spoke with Fout and McCarron this am and they were quite confident. Hirapour only just arrived in Saratoga after having had his final blowout for Fout last Friday. I think he shipped in yesterday. He look stunning in the paddock as well as on the track.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 10, 2006, 10:06 PM
PHOTO: AP Photo/NYRA, Adam Coglianese: Hirapour left, Good Night Shirt on right (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060810/483/f0655fbc46664c63964f2ca967a51115)

TB Times 8-10-06 "Hirapour returns from ankle injury with Smithwick triumph" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=65663&subsec=2)

Most horses do not return from surgery to remove a bone chip and a long layoff to take on other prominent horses in their division, especially at age ten. Hirapour, however—the 2004 Eclipse Award winner as champion steeplechase horse—was sent off as the even money favorite in the field of eight, and rewarded those who backed him as he tracked the leaders from midpack and launched an outside bid on the turn for home, covering 2 1/16 miles in 3:42.46 over a firm turf course.

-- snip --

[Paul] Fout now plans a final run through the Turf Writers, Breeders' Cup, and Colonial Cup in what will be the Hirapour's last chance to add a second Eclipse Award to his resume.

"We're going to retire him after this year no matter what, and we're chasing the Eclipse Award," Fout said. "He's ten years old, and the horse doesn't owe anything to anybody."

Madeline
Aug. 11, 2006, 07:53 AM
PHOTO: AP Photo/NYRA, Adam Coglianese: Hirapour left, Good Night Shirt on right (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060810/483/f0655fbc46664c63964f2ca967a51115)

TB Times 8-10-06 "Hirapour returns from ankle injury with Smithwick triumph" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=65663&subsec=2)

Rare, but not unheard of. McDynamo came back from a broken hock to win another Eclipse award.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 11, 2006, 10:16 AM
The thoroughbred question cracked me up :) If a fan knows enough about types of horses to distinguish a TB from other breeds, what do they think 'chasers are riding? Mustangs? :D

[b]Leap forward for jumpers
Steeplechase horses in spotlight as Hirapour takes A.P. Smithwick

By MARK SINGELAIS, Staff writer - Albany Times Union
Friday, August 11, 2006

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Steeplechase jockey Rob Massey said fans sometimes ask him, "Why aren't you riding thoroughbreds?"

His reply: "Well, they are all thoroughbreds."

That's the perception problem with steeplechase, which can look like a second-class citizen compared with flat (non-steeplechase) races.

But the jumpers got their moment in the sun Thursday at Saratoga Race Course, where they were the co-feature in the $75,000-added, Grade II A.P. Smithwick Memorial in front of 18,895 fans.

Hirapour, a 10-year-old gelding who's one of the stars of the sport, won the 2 1/16 -mile race by four lengths over Good Night Shirt on the inner turf.

Like many steeplechasers, Hirapour is a converted flat thoroughbred.

"We're trying to make this sport better and get the public to understand it," said Hirapour trainer Paul Fout.

That's not an easy task, especially when Saratoga cut down to six steeplechases this meet -- one every Thursday -- from nine last year.

Bill Nader, NYRA's senior vice president and chief operating officer, pointed out that major tracks such as Churchill Downs, Del Mar, Santa Anita and Gulfstream don't have any steeplechase races.

"We run six because it's part of the history and tradition of Saratoga," Nader said. "We've struck the right balance and we'll continue to evaluate it."

Many bettors shy away from the jumpers because they feel the races are too hard to pick because of the risk of a fall.

"Unfortunately here the public isn't informed like they are in Europe, where steeplechasing is on an equal standard with the flat racing," said jockey Matthew McCarron, who rode Hirapour. "The handicappers here who aren't accepting the fact that there's a chance of falling off, they get frustrated and have a sour taste in their mouth."

Ironically, McCarron said, some fans are attracted to steeplechase exactly because of the danger involved.

McCarron, the nephew of Hall of Fame jockey Chris McCarron, broke his left arm in a spill on opening day last year.

"It's just like downhill skiing or auto racing," McCarron said. "There's a certain percentage of the population that watches for that reason (an accident) alone. Unfortunately, it's not the kind of publicity we want, but if that's one reason somebody's going to watch it, then we can use all the support we can get."

There were no falls in Thursday's co-feature.

McCarron and Massey became steeplechase jockeys because they grew too big to remain in flat racing. Jumpers are allowed to carry more weight than other thoroughbreds. Hirapour held 158 pounds in his victory Thursday.

Steeplechase does have an old-time feel, with no starting gate and a flag used to start the race. But Patrick Smithwick, the son of the late Hall of Fame trainer A.P. Smithwick, said the sport has changed since his father's heyday.

"It's doing very well financially and in attendance, however there are more races at hunt meets now all up and down the East Coast, but not as many as the racetrack," he said. "They need to educate the audience a little bit about them."

Madeline
Aug. 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
The thoroughbred question [below in the article] cracked me up :) If a fan knows enough about types of horses to distinguish a TB from other breeds, what do they think 'chasers are riding? Mustangs? :D

Actually, if you are only a moderately informed, casual fan, that isn't as bad a question as it might appear. If you look at a lot of 2 year olds ( and the Spa is a mecca of 2 YO racing) and 3 YO's, the jumpers DO look to be a different breed. They are older, full grown, and conditioned to run much longer. Not to mention that, with few exceptions, your average 15.1 TB does not get selected to pursue a career as a jumper. Bear in mind, too, that a lot of less than devoted observers may have never seen an adult TB in the flesh.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 11, 2006, 03:14 PM
Madeline, one would think all the NTRA logo signs might be there for a reason, but of course I guess I'm just being picky. Quarter horse steeplechasing actually could be gobs of fun - they can contrary to opinion go well past 1/4 mi with decent speed and some can jump very well.

Regarding Funny Cide, Tagg makes some direct comments on the possibility of the Woodward and also his performance level:

NY Daily News 8-11-06 "Woodward finding Funny Cide" (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/story/442393p-372595c.html)

"We'll see how it comes up," Tagg said of the Woodward. "It's a couple weeks away. If it comes up real tough, we're not going in it. Sometimes the middle race will fall apart a little. You might take advantage of the money and the prestige. We won the Jockey Club Gold Cup (in 2004) one time when it fell apart a little. He didn't run his 'A' race but he still ran good enough to be able to win a million dollars."

Funny Cide's only race at Saratoga, on Aug. 22, 2004, drew one of the track's largest crowds ever. Doubly lured by a pint glass giveaway and the appearance of the hometown hero, the crowd packed the venerable racetrack, only to be disappointed when Evening Attire beat Funny Cide by almost five lengths.

"I don't think he's the horse he used to be, and I don't really mean to put it in those terms, but he's a step slower now," Tagg said. "He's a Grade III horse probably, and that's fine with me. He'll show us a lot of fun. I don't want to get carried away. I don't want ego to demolish him. He'll do fine if we get the right spots and are careful with him."

That final statement is why I think Tagg despite the rough reputation is one of the most skilled trainers out there!

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 11, 2006, 04:42 PM

Madeline
Aug. 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
Not as dumb a question as you may think. After Best Mate, a horse called The Fellow was perhaps the finest chaser of the last 15 years....
He was SF/AQPS. Granted he was mostly TB, but technically he wasn't a TB. Ironically, and I could be wrong on this, but I believe according to NSA rules he would not be eligible to run at places like Saratoga. If I'm not mistaken they limit races to registered TBs.
Pretty silly rule if you ask me.

Used to be you could get "Racing Purposes Only" papers to run a jumper, as long as the "missing " papers had not been withdrawn. Don't know if that still holds true.

Iride
Aug. 11, 2006, 08:34 PM
"I don't think he's the horse he used to be, and I don't really mean to put it in those terms, but he's a step slower now," Tagg said. "He's a Grade III horse probably, and that's fine with me. He'll show us a lot of fun. I don't want to get carried away. I don't want ego to demolish him. He'll do fine if we get the right spots and are careful with him."
This quote perfectly illustrates why I love this man! Wish more trainers would follow his example.

That final statement is why I think Tagg despite the rough reputation is one of the most skilled trainers out there! http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1812375)

He's tough on himself and others because he simply has very high standards of horsemanship, and a very high work ethic. And off the track he's the nicest person around.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
Iride, I think agree quite well on Tagg :)

Some other Saratoga bits: source: DRF Aug 11, 2006 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/77488.html)

Steppenwolfer may get a rest

Steppenwolfer, who was one of the leading 3-year-olds in the spring, is training at Saratoga, but is unlikely to start and may soon get a vacation, trainer Dan Peitz said.

Steppenwolfer has not raced since finishing fourth in the Belmont Stakes. He was third in the Kentucky Derby. He was scheduled to run in the Virginia Derby last month, but was scratched when he became ill.

"He's training, but he doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm," Peitz said. "I might give him some time off and bring him back at Oaklawn next year."

Steppenwolfer thrived at Oaklawn this year. After beating an allowance field, he was second in the Southwest Stakes, third in the Rebel Stakes, and second in the Arkansas Derby, all of which were won by Lawyer Ron.

Speaking of Ron (Lawyer Ron that is) he is the heavy favorite for the Aug 26th $250k St. Louis Derby at Fairmont Park, IL (http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/sports/15186874.htm) In case you've never heard of the track:

Lawyer Ron will likely be the most talented horse to ever set foot on the Fairmount surface.

Hey, is that the trainer of Secretariat and Riva Ridge, Lucien Laurin's (d. 2000) son? Yep!

Roger Laurin back in winner's circle

Roger Laurin believes the last time he set foot in the Saratoga winner's circle was in 1985 after he won the Travers with Chief's Crown. He was there again Friday after Icy City won a maiden race for New York-bred 2-year-old fillies by 1 3/4 lengths in her third start.

The 70-year-old Laurin, the son of Secretariat's trainer, Lucien Laurin, recently returned to training after a 17-year retirement and has two horses. He also has a 2-year-old gelded son of Silver Charm named Silver Country who figures to start at this meet.

"To be honest with you, my golf game was so bad that I figured if I'm going to be aggravated I might as well go back to training horses," Laurin said.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2006, 08:36 PM
In response to Funny Cide's excellent breeze over the main track at Saratoga (1:00.01 for 5 furlongs) Barlcay Tagg was quoted as saying: (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=65682&subsec=2)
"We don't want to go into [Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (G2) on September 30] off of a three-month layoff, and [the Woodward] is a nice race, it's in our back yard, we want to see him run here, a lot of people want to see him run here. He's dong really well now, so why not?"

A Splash of Color
Aug. 13, 2006, 10:23 PM
Perhaps Funny Cide reads the NY Daily News and took exception to being referred to as, "a step slower"....;)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 14, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hey, A Splash of Color, what humans let alone equine friends read the NY Daily News? :D

An interesting one from the Albany Times Union from Sunday (8-14-06) (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=507991&category=SARASEASON&BCCode=&newsdate=8/14/2006), that basically said at the ESPY Awards it was "Prado, who is that?" It sounds a bit like a whine to me ...

"I was pretty much ignored [at the ESPY Awards] and it bothered me a little bit," Prado said. "I am a jockey and there are a lot of riders out there. I was the one that got the award; what about the ones that didn't? Who knows them? The people out there had no clue who I was and there were some that asked me. I should have put a picture on my shirt with Barbaro on it."

Ok, I follow the sport more then most of the general public. I have to admit short of a handful of very, very public ex-riders - Bailey, Stevens, Krone, Brothers - and a limited handful of current ones even I would be slightly pressed to pick Edgar Prado out at the Price Chopper if he was buying milk.

Fans seldom see a jock without a riding cap on and silks on. Why would people suddenly be expected to pick someone out in changed into street clothes or wearing a suit and tie?

Isn't it a jock's agent's job to promote the general recognition client and less so the NTRA or NYRA? People like the horse and back the horse, less so who is really riding the horse. Funny Cide, for example, has had a few different jocks. In fact he's faced his ex-rider Jose Santos in at least one race. So if Jose was the "hero" would we then as fan be put in the uncomfortable position of wanting to back whatever horse Jose was on, period? Some poor logic there.

monicabee
Aug. 14, 2006, 09:50 AM
The lack of recognition of Prado partially reflects the layman's attitude towards all kinds of riding -- that it is the horse that is doing all the work. Then the fact that racing does not have the mass popularity and therefore marketability for sports writers explains why he was ignored at the awards. They have to sell their stories.

Within the racing community few would not be happy to see Edgar Prado's face atop their horse as he is one of the best horsemen amongst the NY riders. Although I have never met him, I have seen him playing other roles, like that of photographer at the jockeys' baseball match in Saratoga, or with his son around the track. Seems like the kind of quiet, decent guy who gets ignored in every sport because there is nothing to report.

By the way, if you have an opportunity, go to the jockey baseball game. They play one or two exhibition matches, usually on the evening before the dark day. I remember walking behind a little league player on his way to the same park -- only to realize when he turned to enter that it was Pat Day!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 14, 2006, 10:51 AM
Then the fact that racing does not have the mass popularity and therefore marketability for sports writers explains why he was ignored at the awards. They have to sell their stories.

No debate on the subject that horses (almost always) need a solid professional jockey and vice versa to make anything happen. Julien Leparoux, for example, made Gorella's crushing victory in the Beverly D (G1) look easy Saturday but that took professional skill and work by Julien to make it happen.

With the general topic of expanding the 'coverage' of jocks beyond being just "the guy who won the 5th race" it is an interesting one. Certainly the fact that racing on TV has been curtailed significantly limits an already challenging task of getting their faces out there. Saratoga is perhaps one place and race meet where I think most people in the community would know [the name of] who a Jose Santos is or even a trainer's name like Allen Jerkins is.

As for 'promotion' of jocks by the media and other outlets, I have to think that a barrier tends to exist for many limiting their breakthrough to become a media darling. The degree of exposure and further opportunities for marketing are limited for riders who (1) lack a degree of charisma (2) are marginally well spoken (3) less then masterful of the english language (4) frequently lack in having a squeaky clean record. All four would of course apply to any athlete be it an NBA player or PGA golfer.

Jerry Bailey, for example, was always good for a nice sound bite after a win, he could sum of the race quickly and give a high degree of where the "move occurred" and the race was won or lost. His comments were easily understood without too much jargon and fit the purpose: to give the viewer some inight.

He also - aside from having exceedingly high profile mounts – still has an agent for publicity and promotion (a former COTH BB poster too no less) of Kelly Wietsma and her firm of Equisponse. Then again Jerry also had to overcome bad rides, alcoholism, a reputation for being cold, an aggressive competitor to other jocks and other potentially negative image issues.

I don't for a minute say its easy, After having just finished a 1 1/4 mi race on a winning horse that likely pulled like a freight train and it went by in a little over 2 minutes where you had 7 different factors to monitor the whole time - would anyone be ready to speak into a poor sound system affixed to a outrider to give a quick, concise, insightful summary - which also somehow makes you [the ride] likeable? The same goes for the 25 seconds (if that) of air time you might get with a Jeannine Edwards and ESPN if you take a big win.

Most jockeys in the big graded stakes races do have an interesting story of where they came from and how they go there. Not that all are pretty but then again those gritty tales tend to be in vogue with dramatic presentation that NBC Sports (et al) want to portray.

Still to the original posting - I really am not shocked that Prado was not well known at the ESPN function and that he shouldn't have taken the lack of interest as a snub. I mean if his true passion is riding and the fans of racing then getting ignored by a bunch of overpaid, under worked ball players (base, basket, foot ..) shouldn't mean much.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 14, 2006, 08:53 PM
Perhaps they'll have to change his name as it isn't quite fitting :D I suspect he also wasn't going to dare lose to horse named "bingo bear"!

See the video! Look for the "Troy S." (http://www.nyra.com/Saratoga/video.asp?track=S#)

Spa turf record falls again
By DAVID GRENING -Daily Racing Form (http://www.drf.com/news/article/77532.html)
Monday august 14, 2006

Second in Command left Saratoga last year as the Mellon Turf Course record holder for 5 1/2 furlongs. After two horses lowered his mark earlier this summer, Second in Command claimed the record back Monday.

Rallying four wide in the stretch under Edgar Prado, Second in Command won the $71,500 Troy Stakes by 2 1/4 lengths over Bingobear, covering the 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:01.11 over firm ground. That eclipsed the mark of 1:01.17 set on Aug. 3 by Thatsmorelikeit. On July 26, Silver Timber had run 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:01.34, bettering Second in Command's mark of 1:01.46 set last Sept. 4.

Weigelia, the 4-5 favorite on Monday, was third, beaten 2 3/4 lengths.

Second in Command ($12.20), a 6-year-old son of Silver Deputy, was making his first start since being claimed by Richard Dutrow last month on behalf of Michael Dubb for $50,000. He is now 3 for 3 over this course at this distance.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 15, 2006, 08:19 AM
Sadly yesterday marked with third week of the meet and the fourth fatal breakdown. Tizlater was lost on the inner turf course.

On the upside, Sunday - with the NYRA spotsbag giveaway - was the 2nd highest crowd ever at Spa with 70,603!

JER
Aug. 15, 2006, 09:01 AM
Today's Independent (UK) has a good piece on Julien Leparoux:
America's new wonder kid of the saddle has a talent to compete with turf giants (http://sport.independent.co.uk/general/article1219293.ece)

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 16, 2006, 12:22 AM

On the upside, Sunday - with the NYRA spotsbag giveaway - was the 2nd highest crowd ever at Spa with 70,603!

Oof! It *was* rather busy that day! So I wonder how many bodies were actually at the track? I wonder if "spinners" account for half of those numbers... or more?

Some more Saratoga photos from last weekend:

Glimmerglass
Aug. 16, 2006, 11:16 AM
Oof! It *was* rather busy that day! So I wonder how many bodies were actually at the track? I wonder if "spinners" account for half of those numbers... or more?

Some more Saratoga photos from last weekend:

Oh I have to assume the spinners - who have previously clogged up the entry gate, prompting the creation of an entry for those not wanting the gift voucher - have to account for about 25,000 of that total. At a true total of 50,000 seated/standing inside, the place is essentially "full".

Again great photos, including the Green Monkey which I'm surprised the one girl was able to get so close to!

I have to point out another photographer who clearly was looking at different sights at Saratoga: Times Union: Spa photos "A Filly in the Paddock Area" (http://yourphotos.timesunion.com/?r=5169019) :)

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 16, 2006, 02:10 PM
Oh I have to assume the spinners - who have previously clogged up the entry gate, prompting the creation of an entry for those not wanting the gift voucher - have to account for about 25,000 of that total. At a true total of 50,000 seated/standing inside, the place is essentially "full".

Again great photos, including the Green Monkey which I'm surprised the one girl was able to get so close to!

I have to point out another photographer who clearly was looking at different sights at Saratoga: Times Union: Spa photos "A Filly in the Paddock Area" (http://yourphotos.timesunion.com/?r=5169019) :)

:lol: I'll have to see if I can shoot some colts with a promising stud career next time :lol:

Thanks! It was a thrill to meet the famous Monkey. He's a handsome colt, but it was a surprise to see that his manure was not gilded. And he did not even clean his own stall! ;)

Those numbers make me hesitant to go back up for the last weekend. They might riot for the stadium blankets!!!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 21, 2006, 02:19 PM
The Times Union has an interesting reflection upon Secretariat's loss to Onion in the Whitney Stakes. Not to get into a Secretariat debate but I do wonder just how his record would've fared if he raced at 4 yrs old. With 21 starts, 1 finish off the board, 3 places, and 1 show it would be a win percentage of 76%. [Comparative: Dr. Fager @ 81.8%, Spectacular Bid 86.6%)

Times Union 8-21-06 "Secretariat shows his greatness in defeat" (http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=510052)

There he was, the magnificent chestnut colt in his trademark blue-and-white checkerboard blinkers. They were saddling him on the main turf track for all to see. Whispers rolled through the record crowd like a swarm of bees, fingers pointed and necks strained. They wanted a closer look at the crown prince of horse racing.

It was the same regal face with the distinctive diamond on his forehead that graced the covers of Sports Illustrated, Time and Newsweek, the kind of frenzied attention afforded the first Triple Crown winner since Citation 25 years earlier.

It was Aug. 4, 1973, and the great Secretariat, the one who won the Belmont Stakes by a spectacular 31 lengths, was moments from running in the 46th Whitney Stakes. There was a supporting cast of five other horses, but spectators only had eyes for Secretariat that day and sent him to the post at odds of 10 cents on the dollar.

He also was the overwhelming sentimental favorite, an American idol who had stolen the collective heart of a nation.

That helped explain the tears that came when he lost by a length to a colt named Onion, whose only similarity to Secretariat was his color.

"It got very quiet and there were people crying openly," said veteran horse racing writer Matt Graves, who was there that day. "A lot of people had their heads down.

"In my heart I was crushed, too. I had been going to his barn each day from the start of the meet and, you know, you kind of get attached. Everybody latched onto him."

The record crowd of 30,119 roared like a jet engine when the field reached the top of the stretch with Onion in front by a head.

"You kept thinking 'He'll get him, he'll get him' but he didn't," Graves said. "It was just astonishing."

Onion was a speed horse who 11 days earlier had set a Saratoga mark for 6 furlongs, and he was trained by Hall of Famer Allen Jerkens, an upset specialist.

"I thought maybe Secretariat wouldn't be quite at his very best, and he turned out not to be," Jerkens said. "It was just one of those things, a pleasant shock."

Jerkens, whose horse paid $13.20 on a $2 bet, was right about Secretariat not being at his best.

"It wasn't Onion, it was Secretariat's health," Secretariat's Hall of Fame jockey Ron Turcotte said from his home in Van Buren, Maine. "It was terrible. He was sick. He had a temperature of 102. I still don't know how he got by the vet."

But this was Secretariat. There was a national TV audience waiting. There was pressure to get him to the gate.

"His legs were like rubber when we made the turn for home," Turcotte said.

When it was over, Turcotte cried himself, not because his horse lost but because of the heart Secretariat showed.

"I was the first one to cry and I cried on the way home in the car," Turcotte said. "I was so impressed that he was able to finish second. I was stunned, really. I was worried he might be finished for the year. A normal horse would have been done for sure."

About a week later, word filtered through the backstretch that Secretariat would miss the Travers because of a lingering virus and cough.

But he wasn't done for the year. On Sept. 15, he set a world record in capturing the $250,000 Marlboro Cup Invitational, covering the 1 1/8 miles in 1:45 2/5 at Belmont Park.

Jerkens said the notion of Onion and jockey Jacinto Vasquez winning that day brought some odd reactions.

"I got some nasty letters," Jerkens said. "Some woman wrote me and said, 'I suppose you think you are pretty good because you beat Secretariat and destroyed the people's faith in a famous horse.' "

It was the fourth loss in Secretariat's brilliant career, which ended with a record of 16-5.

Other great horses have been upset at Saratoga. In the 1930 Travers, a 100-1 shot named Jim Dandy beat Triple Crown winner Gallant Fox on a soupy track, and in 1919 a horse by the name of Upset handed the great Man O'War his only defeat.

But 33 years ago, Secretariat was the only horse that mattered. He was a media star. The only question about Secretariat that still rages is whether he or Man O'War was the greatest horse ever.

"I'll always believe he was the greatest," Turcotte said. "He also had a great personality, a real ham around the fans. He was a beautiful animal, and the kindest of animals. He would do anything you asked."

Including giving his all on a day he wasn't feeling well.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 23, 2006, 09:42 AM
The Kings' Bishop (Grade 1) on Saturday August 26th looks to be yet another showcase for the lovely Henny Hughes. I loved this guy when he won at Saratoga last year at 2 and was miffed when he was shipped to Dubai and wasted. His return to the US, electrifying blow out in New Jersey and damn impressive workouts at Saratoga suggest he's going to be a monster in the race that Lost In The Fog won last year.

Go Henny!!

Mach Ride to be rated in King's Bishop

In and of itself, Mach Ride's second-place finish last month behind odds-on favorite Too Much Bling in Calder's Grade 2 Carry Back Stakes was a huge effort. The fact that Mach Ride, a former claimer, did so after setting a contested pace along a deep rail over a track that yielded only a single wire-to-wire winner made the performance good enough for trainer Steve Standridge to ship his colt to Saratoga for Saturday's Grade 1 King's Bishop Stakes.

"We know this is an ambitious spot," said Standridge who has never started a horse at Saratoga. "But Too Much Bling would likely have been second or third choice if he ran in this race, and he only beat us two lengths despite the fact our horse ran against the grain of both a speed and rail bias."

Mach Ride blew out three furlongs in 34.35 seconds and galloped out a half-mile in 46.54 under jockey Javier Castellano here Tuesday. Castellano will be aboard Mach Ride for the first time in the King's Bishop.

--snip --

Trainer Bob Baffert said he had originally planned to send Derby Trial winner Record for the King's Bishop but made a last-minute switch to Quietly Go.

"Quietly Go looked like the better of the pair when they worked the other day, so I decided to take a shot," said Baffert.

Baffert also nominated Too Much Bling to the King's Bishop.

"I was going to send Too Much Bling, but that track is just too inconsistent," said Baffert. "I've never been a big fan of the Saratoga surface. I plan to find one more race for him before the Breeders' Cup, although at the moment I'm not sure what that race is." Source: Daily Racing Form/CBS Sports Aug 22nd (http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/headlines/showarticle.aspx?articleId=12364)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 24, 2006, 11:55 AM
Funny Cide looks to be putting in his best workouts in quite some time up there - see below's workout this a.m. :) It would appear to be all systems go with him racing in the Grade 1 Woodward next Saturday.

Funny Cide
Date: August 24, 2006
Track: SARATOGA
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:14 Breezing
Track Conditions: Fast
Surafce: Dirt

Glimmerglass
Aug. 26, 2006, 11:42 PM
Ah, sadly my loyalties will be stretched with the Woodward Stakes (G1) next Saturday at Saratoga. Not only will Funny Cide be racing (and contrary to suggestions, Invasor will not) but Second of June will be.

I still recall his epic duel with Read The Footnotes in the Fountain of Youth Stakes, Feb 14, 2004. A race of which you can still see on-line here: 2004 Fountain of Youth Stakes, see Video link under "Derby Entrant" (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2004/derby_coverage/derby_entrants/second_of_june/); The colt, by Louis Quatorze out of Whow (by Spectacular Bid) has been plagued by injury ever since the FYS when he was injured. Read The Footnotes, by the way, was my favorite in the Kentucky Derby that year against Smary Jones, I still think he was given a poor ride and had an unlucky trip. He could've been more then just a contender.

Anyhow we'll see how SOJ does next week, when I'm at Spa for the day ...

Second of June just needs a win
By MIKE WELSCH -Daily Racing Form
August 26, 2006

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Second of June hasn't won a race since January 2004, but that won't deter trainer Bill Cesare from shipping the talented but injury-prone horse from Churchill Downs to Saratoga for Saturday's Grade 1 Woodward.

Second of June's last victory came in the Grade 3 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park during the winter of his 3-year-old campaign. He followed that performance with a gut-wrenching second-place finish behind Read the Footnotes in the Grade 2 Fountain of Youth, after which it was discovered that Second of June had suffered a fractured cannon bone. The injury sidelined him for the next 10 months.

Second of June's first comeback comprised five races that included second- and third-place finishes in the Grade 2 Oaklawn and New Orleans handicaps before Cesare had to again stop on him due to an osselet in his right hind ankle. That injury cost Second of June another 14 months before he returned to finish a game second, beaten a nose by Suave, at Churchill Downs on June 16. In his last start, Second of June finished third, more than seven lengths behind Suave, in the Grade 2 Washington Park Handicap.

"He got beat only a zap to a real nice horse coming back after more than a year in the allowance race, and I expected him to get tired going a mile and three-sixteenths in Chicago," said Cesare. "He's training well, getting fitter, and headed in the right direction at the moment, and most important, he's sound. Five weeks should be perfect coming into this race, and at this point we're not ducking anybody. I know the competition will be tough, but he should have no excuses."

Garrett Gomez will ride Second of June in the Woodward.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 30, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hey nothing like getting folks back in the mood with a Funny Cide poster in support of his return to a Grade 1 race and just his 2nd race ever at "home" :)

Funny Cide Poster: Sep 2, 2006 (http://blogs.timesunion.com/saratogaseen/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Funny%20Cide%20Poster.jpg)

For a “voluntary contribution” to the charity that supports back stretch workers, Joe McMahon, and Funny’s owners, Jack Knowlton, David Mahan, Lewis Titterton and Eric Dattner, who will be signing the Funny Cide print at the track Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

An article on Funny Cide and the whole Sakatoga folks: Syracuse Post-Standard 8-30-06 "The Ride Goes On" (http://www.syracuse.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-0/1156928405253660.xml&coll=1)

Racing fans,especially New York racing fans, retain a soft spot for Funny Cide. Saratoga plans to give away 10,000 posters of him at the Woodward this weekend. Mark Phillips recently fielded a telephone call from an Ithaca woman who drove to Sackets Harbor to pick up an autographed Funny Cide children's book for a terminally ill child.

These days, when [another partner, Harold Cring] loses a bid to a rival construction company, or complications delay one of his projects, he can retreat to his office and gaze at his Funny Cide memorabilia.

"Every time I'm having a bad day, which I have quite a few of in the work I'm in," Cring said, "I take a pause and think about winning the Kentucky Derby and I'm back in a good mood."

Another on FC's continued racing: Syracuse Post-Standard 8-30-06 "This horse will rest on his laurels" (http://www.syracuse.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-0/1156928801253660.xml&coll=1)

So how much longer will he race?

"We had a horse named Sackets Six that ran into his eighth year," said JP Constance, one of his owners.

What likely will happen, Constance said, is that Funny Cide will race for a couple more years and then retire to farm life. Plenty of places have inquired about him. Those horse farms, Constance said, would love to have a Kentucky Derby winner on their grounds.

His owners briefly discussed bringing him to Sackets Harbor or Watertown to let the locals get a glimpse of him. But racehorses are notoriously high-strung and often fail to make gentle pets or attractions.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 31, 2006, 08:31 AM
Funny Cide is using the Woodward as a stepping-stone to the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup on Sept. 30. That race is appealing because it is run at 1 1/4 miles, a distance at which Funny Cide has excelled. Also, the Woodward is lacking Invasor, the top handicap horse on the East Coast.

"I don't think it's coming up as tough as it could have," Tagg said. "I'm not demeaning the other horses by any means."

After a minor setback due to a low red blood cell count, Funny Cide has rebounded with several solid workouts leading up to this race.

"He might not be the best he ever was, but he's the best he could possibly be," Tagg said.

"If he brings his 'A' game it may not win, but I don't think he's going to be too far behind too many horses," Knowlton said.

Though Funny Cide has participated in two runnings of the Breeders' Cup Classic, the Classic is not the goal this year. Knowlton did say that if Funny Cide continued to excel in the fall, he could run in the $500,000 Clark Handicap at Churchill in late November.Source: Daily Racing Form 8-31-06 "Team Funny Cide thrilled to be back" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/78096.html)

I think all the connections are being positive, realistic and above all else just there to have a good time letting him run. I'll be there, I'll bet on him too without expectations.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'm already prepared to get wet at The Spa tomorrow but alas it looks like Ernesto might nix Funny Cide's return. Tagg has been clear all along so it isn't like he is teasing fans.

I have to say I love his comments on Funny Cide:

If fans don't get to see Funny Cide run tomorrow, they could get another chance next year. Jack Knowlton, the managing partner of the Sackatoga Stable ownership group, said he has already discussed keeping Funny Cide in training next year as a 7-year-old.

"I would run him till he dies. I don't see any reason not to," Tagg said. "He's happy. He gets a lot of care. I get some flack from people thinking I'm being cruel to him by having him still run, but I don't know what else he would do, fight flies in a paddock somewhere? How could he have it any better? Not many horses get the attention that sucker gets, I'll tell you. He's been in a racing stable his whole life.

"Why would he be happier out in a field fighting flies? I don't understand that. He couldn't look any better. He couldn't get any better feed, he couldn't get any better veterinary care. He couldn't get any better attention. He's got the same groom, the same hotwalker. How could he have it any better?"

Clearly Barclay is not saying run him to death but having a five to seven race schedule a year is just fine. I mean look at the amount of work say a top event horse has to put in per year - at an age much older then Funny Cide and with much, much more weight then he carries in any race.

"I'm not hunting for Grade I's for him. It's not going to have Invasor in there, it's not going to have Bernardini in there. The horses that are running in it have faltered a couple of times, so maybe I'll have a chance to pick up something."Source: NY Daily News Sep 1, 2006 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/448492p-377550c.html)

Slewdledo
Sep. 1, 2006, 11:42 PM
I'd just like to say how much it ROCKS that Second of June is running in the Woodward. If Funny does run, then I'm going to have a heckuva time watching the race what with rooting for Second of June, Funny Cide, Sun King, Flower Alley and Papi Chullo. :D

CeeDreams
Sep. 3, 2006, 04:31 AM
A local horse rescue, Double L Rescue and Sanctuary, in Argyle, NY (the one who rescued Dawn and Willie) has a fantastic jockey boot up for auction/sale at Sargos in Saratoga. This boot was autographed by all the jockeys at Del Mar and is a fabulous collectors item. If anyone is there please spread the word so this rescue can get needed funds to help the horses. If you are at Sargos ask the management where it is displayed and go see it.

I also gave Shannon, from Double L, a poetry book signed by Norah Pollard, Red Pollard's daughter. Norah is a friend of mine and writes poetry. She wants to help the rescues raise funds to support their horses. The book contains several poems about her father, Red. This book may also be on display at Sargos.

Good Luck Shannon!

Glimmerglass
Sep. 5, 2006, 08:33 PM
Ah, sadly my loyalties will be stretched with the Woodward Stakes (G1) next Saturday at Saratoga. Not only will Funny Cide be racing (and contrary to suggestions, Invasor will not) but Second of June will be.

It was lovely to see him in the speed duel with Premium Tap!

I had bet on SOJ (as did my wife) as did some random guy carrying a self-made sign ("my birthday is also Second of June") so we all made out just fine. We also bet on Premium Tap for Show and took money there too :)

Funny Cide, while failing to rally, did still get a heartfelt cheer from the somewhat sparce crowd on Saturday.

As an aside I met Kenny Mayne while there, his deadpan persona is the same in real life.

With the conclusion of the racing season I was glad to see - strictly from a name perspective - the worst name given a horse in recent memory (trust me, The Green Monkey is utter brilliance by comparison!) lose. Scat Daddy failed to defeat his stablemate Circular Quay, who won the Hopeful Stakes on Monday.