PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable! From FHI to slaughter rescue!!

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 15, 2006, 12:20 PM
Just when I thought I had seen it all- last Monday we made our regular rescue trip to New Holland. We did not have any room at MidAtlantic Horse Rescue but a farm we work with in NY, Akindale, could take a load. When I first arrived, there was a good looking big dark TB in the ring. They asked who had brought him, no one stepped forward, so they sold him as is. He sold to kill. I went back to the pen and went over him. He was in good flesh and well shod, about 8-9 yrs old. We typically only buy TBs right off the track- the ones that have been started in a new career worry me bc they could have major behavioral or soundness issues. At any rate, I kept him in mind but was not going to have any room for him. At the end of the day there were so many TBs, we decided to send two trailer loads to Akindale (Thankfully they made room!) I went back in the kill pen and had to make a decision between this gelding and a younger barren broodmare. After a lot of agonizing, I decided to take the gelding. I left a friend there with him so they would not put the kill sticker on and went to find Don Nickerson. Don agreed to sell him to me, and we pulled him from the pen and took him home. On Tues I got a call from Martha Grace, our massage therapist. She told me she heard through the grapevine that I bought this horse, and that he had been at FHI starter trials on Saturday. He had a lovely dressage test but was eliminated - he balked and wouldn't jump around. His owner was so fed up she threatened to sell him at New Holland on Monday. An acquaintance offered to buy him but no one took this lady seriously- but that is what she did- she dumped him at the sale, with no note or info, giving him no chance of finding a home. Can you imagine, sending your horse to slaughter bc of your own inadequacies as a rider???? He is now safe up at Akindale and for adoption. He is a beautiful mover, sound, very quiet and sensible, and a good jumper. This was only his second event, and as most know, FHI has substantial courses for the levels. There should be some sort of repercussion for this woman though, but I guess there isnt.

Bev Strauss
MidAtlantic Horse Rescue
www.MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

~Freedom~
Jul. 15, 2006, 12:33 PM
Looks like you made the right decision between him and the barren mare. Glad it worked out for you and him.:)

petesperson
Jul. 15, 2006, 12:35 PM
Bev, I always admire your website (and one day hope to have room for one of your rescues) - and am so glad you saved this poor horse. It's truly shockiing that someone would do such a thing... too bad she can't be banned from owning any more horses... though one could hope at least that word will get round about her... Let's hope the horse will go to someone patient and competent this time... Gosh!!

annikak
Jul. 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
is he on your site? what a shame...:no:
I am so glad you were there for him...

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 15, 2006, 12:56 PM
No, he is available through Akindale Farm- if you are interested, PM me and I will send Kate's number. I just wish we did not have to choose between horses- it worked out for him, but not the mare, and she was no less deserving.........when will slaughter end?????

Kementari
Jul. 15, 2006, 01:06 PM
I have occasionally told my horses that if they didn't shape up they were going to be Alpo...but I never MEANT it! :eek: :(

Why not just keep a gun in the trailer - then every time she gets eliminated she can just shoot the horse on the spot, and cut out the middle man. :no: :no:

Sabovee
Jul. 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
This is just sickening. :(

I hope she has problems sleeping at night.
Shameful.

magnolia73
Jul. 15, 2006, 01:30 PM
so sad. To have a horse well enough trained that you take him to a competition - then dump him.... just sad and sounds like a poorly adjusted person. I know of a whole lot of people who had disastarous first shows. :no: and kept working and ended up with nice horses. If you hate him that much, give the horse to some kid.....

Sounds like a nice horse and hopefully someone will snatch him up and go beat his old owner every weekend! :yes:

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:04 PM
Such an odd story. It really doesn't make any sense. Even if you had more money than you knew what to do with, there are other ways to rid yourself quickly of a horse that was being difficult (for you) than to send them to auction.

I would frankly be inclined to wonder about the mental health of someone who would take action like that. I mean, donating a horse to a college will net a larger tax deduction than meat prices at auction and most colleges with equine programs in the area would SNAP at a nice horse like that.

Interesting to see where this one goes. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to this story.

enjoytheride
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:09 PM
Stanley has been threatened with being taken to Rushville and sold by the pound when we trotted into the stadium arena at a show, and then spent the next 5 minutes spinning in circles, snorting, and running backwards because the sand was "scary". I think we set some sort of record for getting Ed before crossing the start flags.

Would I ever do it? Nope! Although at the time I did feel like beating him into little 1lb packages of Stanley meat I did spend 30 minutes yesterday washing, conditioning, brushing, and braiding his tail.

merrygoround
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:31 PM
If there is a way of verifying this info-she should be outted, but i would be careful and assure myself of accuracy.

Find him a good home.

War Admiral
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:34 PM
Agreed, this one could get interesting & I hope someone follows up.

luveventing
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:59 PM
I know this happens more than any of you would lke to think. A few years ago I met a girl that rode and was complaining about her horse being "crazy" she was giving him 2 weeks at a sale barn and if he didnt sell he was going to auction. when I saw him- I just about dropped dead. just need a little work, but was phenomonal. luckily I talked her out of it and he has gone on to be VERY successful in the ring. why dont people seek the help of trainers on these horses instead of making such a rash and selfish decision??

Lori T
Jul. 15, 2006, 05:38 PM
Some people just make me sick. Sometimes I think that people should be required to pass a test before owning a horse (or having kids :) )
God Bless you for rescuing him.

Lori
www.calypsofarm.piczo.com

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 15, 2006, 07:44 PM
So many people just dont know what to do, but sending a horse to slaughter is the absolute last straw. If she had only given a note of some sort to go with him he might have gone to a dealer, not the meat guy. I have heard from several fellow eventers, and people from the barn where he was kept, and all verified the story.

We had several rescues at FHI that day- Ft Monmouth (1st), Stormy Pixie, Just a Tad (Dinner Cider), and Flora (KJs Rose) were all there with their new owners. Pixie's owner ran into someone who knew her old owner. They proceeded to tell her how they had gotten two off the track, how nutty Pixie had been, etc, etc and they ended up getting rid of her. She ended up at the sale in the kill pen, and we bought her- We got her started on the right track but all credit goes to her owner Daretta- this mare is blossoming- Daretta figures they got rid of the wrong horse, as Pixie was third at the end of the day and ready to move up a level---and they had multiple problems in all three phases with the one they kept!

It just goes to show there are horses for riders and riders for horses, and trainers for all- but in the end, sending a horse to the sale is the wrong way out.

alysheba
Jul. 15, 2006, 07:54 PM
Holy crap! Not to go off topic Tex, but this pic is amazing!

http://www.horsephotoguy.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=3

I get a nose bleed just looking at it!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 15, 2006, 08:19 PM
I think I know who that is and who the horse is. If he is the horse that I think he is (and I'm pretty sure he is)....given a bit a decompression and re-schooling he is going to make someone a VERY nice horse...lovely jump and good mover (and had a decent mind at one point)--I really liked him...has one of those canters that you look for in a jumping horse....just with the wrong owner. Hope he lands in a good home--H/J people will really like him as well as event riders....he just needs to be given the chance with the right person and I bet he will come around quickly.

sorry they all couldn't be saved...what is very frustrating with that gelding is that there was more than one person who would have taken him in a heart beat.

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 15, 2006, 08:56 PM
Nice horse, wrong owner. Sounds familiar. I knew a VERY nice horse that was with the most wrongest type of person. Nice man, not a great rider, horse all wrong, wrong, wrong for him. Man got so fed up he threatened to send the horse for meat. My then trainer bought him at meat price.

Horse was ridden by trainer thru Prelim, then sold and new owner competed him at Rolex. Like I said, VERY nice horse.

Interesting to hear the sad tale verified and very glad the horse is safe. I do hope that someone with some patience can help him detox and give him a new life.

pwynnnorman
Jul. 16, 2006, 04:37 AM
Gee, she could have jsut called up the nearest Pony Club DC and found some deserving PC'er to give him to. Or a college or something.

If this is all accurate, it makes so little sense! Oh, unless she didn't WANT to see someone else do better than she with the horse? Still, give him away to some place out of the area then, y'know?

Fred
Jul. 16, 2006, 07:42 AM
it is unbelievable. I am sitting here just feeling sick that someone would do that. I am so glad that you were able to rescue him, but with the chain of action it meant that the poor mare went to the kill pen. So that thoughtless owner who shipped the gelding is partly responsible for her death too.
I don't know how people live with themselves, how they face themselves in the mirror.
If the person is known, I think everyone in her area should confront her with this. Don't let her just walk away from what she has done.
Meanwhile, would this boy be safe for an aged lady to ride? Do you have a link to the site where he is?
thanks!

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 16, 2006, 07:48 AM
He seems very level headed but I did not get to hop on him, he left for Akindale the next morning. There have been quite a few people who have expressed an interest in this horse, hopefully Kate will place him quickly- that will open up a spot for another rescue. Yes, it is sad that we had to choose between him and the mare- but that is the way it goes, each and every week at the sale.

Fred
Jul. 16, 2006, 08:24 AM
BAS, I hope that you did not read my earlier comments as a criticism of you. It was not intended that way whatsoever. I understand that you have only so much room and that you can take only so many, and I understand completely what a difficult, heartbreaking situation you are in. I am grateful to you and everyone else, like Kelly, who does this. I would not have the courage. The best I can do is rescue the occassional one when I get a call from a trainer friend, and send donations to the rescues.
I just meant that by sending him, one other horse who might have been saved could not be.
I agree with you - NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER.

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 16, 2006, 08:29 AM
Well, Fred, if you want a horse, there is a nice TB mare that Kelly rescued that is need of a home. ;)

I actually don't know much about the situation, but it's April (rescued at the same time as Nate). Apparently what happened is that someone from CoTH agreed to take the horse, a local friend of mine agreed to foster her until person #1 took her. Local friend took her, paid her bills and person #1 backed out. :no:

So, local friend is still fostering mare and looking for a home for her! Apparently mare is 13 (don't quote me!) has had a few babies and is happy and comfortable being ridden in western tack. Neck reins, etc.

Sooooo.... she's out there looking for a home!

Evalee Hunter
Jul. 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
Such an odd story. . . . I would frankly be inclined to wonder about the mental health of someone who would take action like that. I mean, donating a horse to a college will net a larger tax deduction than meat prices at auction and most colleges with equine programs in the area would SNAP at a nice horse like that. . . .

A couple of point here:

(1) A tax deduction is useful ONLY IF YOU ITEMIZE. A vast majority of people in this country do not itemize deductions on their tax returns. In fact, congress keeps raising the standard deduction because the IRS does not want people to itemize.

(2) Unfortunately, many colleges send horses that don't fit the program to an auction. Once you donate, you lose control of the horse's fate & a sad fate has happened to many donated horses, even to ones the owner requested returned. Those stories have appeared on this board & in various publications. Donation requires extreme caution & a long term commitment to keeping contact & continuing to watch over your horse.

Now, a different point:

The fact the horse was in the kill pens does NOT mean it was going to slaughter. Depends on which killer buyer had him. Several of the buyers that frequent New Holland separate out the horses that they think they can resell at above kill prices & keep them at their farms for resale while shipping the rest. Yes, it is a quick evaluation but even killer buyers don't send every horse they buy to slaughter. I doubt this horse would actually have been slaughtered unless he failed to resell in a couple of weeks.

mcm7780
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:39 AM
If the person is known, I think everyone in her area should confront her with this. Don't let her just walk away from what she has done.

I don't like the idea of any horse going to slaughter either, BUT it is still legal in this country so the owner did nothing "wrong." Immoral in the eyes of most? Yes. But not illegal. :sigh:

bounce
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:42 AM
I just sent you a PM and email!
Thanks!

No, he is available through Akindale Farm- if you are interested, PM me and I will send Kate's number. I just wish we did not have to choose between horses- it worked out for him, but not the mare, and she was no less deserving.........when will slaughter end?????

Gry2Yng
Jul. 16, 2006, 12:38 PM
The problem is not slaughter, the problem is that too many horses are bred and there aren't homes for all of them.

I don't agree with what the owner did in this case, but don't blame slaughter for the fact that there are more horses in this country than there are people willing to take responsibility for them.

Some of the responsiblity lies with the people who take their mediocre/lame/rank/crazy mare and breed her b/c they don't know what else to do with her. Or the people who take a nice mare and breed her to a nice stallion and do not have the skill to raise a youngster and quickly become afraid of or bored with "little precious".

I agree with the statement that horse ownership should require a license. But personally, I would prefer a quick end to my life rather than being left to die of starvation or dehydration knee deep in manure in the backyard of some ignorant and foolish person.

Bogie
Jul. 16, 2006, 01:15 PM
Well, he's a lucky horse who sounds like he deserves another chance.

Hard to believe anyone could take out their frustration on a horse like that. If the story is accurate, that's one rider who doesn't deserve another horse. There were plenty of other riders who got eliminated at that event, just as well they didn't all feel the need to dump their horses at New Holland!

ReSomething
Jul. 16, 2006, 01:36 PM
I dislike the story immensely and have no respect for someone who would throw away a horse like that because they can't stomach failure. It would have been far simpler to sell at a loss or even give the animal to a talented but impoverished younger person and be happy and proud for them.

MsM
Jul. 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
Sorry to say, I do know of one person who dumped a good horse at a low-end auction without info and I don't know what happened to the horse. (I found out about it afterward)
She was really frustrated with the horse who was misbehaving for her. It was a classic "wrong match" - tense rider, green and nervous horse. She wanted to "do it herself" and only occasionally took lessons. The instructor could get on her horse and have it perform pretty well. After a particularly bad session in which the owner was dumped by a spook and the horse appeared terrified to be caught, the horse disappeared. Now the instructor had talked with her about getting a more suitable horse and had offered to help sell this one and find the next. She didnt want to do that. I think her ego was just too afraid that someone would do better with her horse than she did that she just wanted the horse gone. Sick and sad.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
I realize that not all horses sold to dealers go to kill but in this case he was going. They were coming in the pen with the shoe pullers and federal stickers. I appreciate everyone's concern and did not intend to start a witch hunt. I had a really hard time believing this actually happened, but nothng should surprise me anymore.

The point here is that NICE horses come out of the kill pens!!! In addition to the event horse, we have nice TBs here in MD, and Akindale has nice TBs in NY- the majority are sound and ready for new careers. If people would consider going to a rescue, then that will make room for more rescues! We may not have to leave that mare behind next time!

PS- I know firsthand that not all horses donated to colleges stay there- one of our current horses was donated to a college last fall and he ended up in the kill pen this spring.........

baileygreyhorse
Jul. 16, 2006, 02:42 PM
All I can say is... wow. I can't imagine what would make someone just dump a horse at NH two days after taking him to a show. Is there anything in our society nowdays that's NOT disposable? So sad. :(

Erin
Jul. 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
DO. NOT. GO. THERE.

It is absolutely NOT OKAY to discuss an issue that is based solely on hearsay and identify the person you're talking about. If you want to talk about it in the abstract, have at it, but absolutely NO WAY are you allowed to discuss a specific and identified individual in this manner.

Go there again and the thread goes adios.

retreadeventer
Jul. 16, 2006, 08:49 PM
I have seen braided show hunters in the kill pen. People have no clue when they sell a horse where they will end up. Buyers say to them, I will give him a good home, and little do they know where the "good home" is. Cavel's kill floor. And that after a 3-to-5-day ride of torture. That is the truly ghastly part of the whole slaughter syndrome, the incredible torture and cruelty they must endure prior. For a really excellent description of a horse auction there's a fantastic story on saving a Standardbred racehorse at New Holland in the most recent issue of Hoof Beats magazine. It may be online at www.ustrotting.com but not sure. It gives you a real "there" feeling to read it.

HappyTalk
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:15 PM
You wonder about people that would ruthlessly dispose of a horse that wasn't going well enough for them...remember George Lindeman and Charisma?

adamsmom
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:48 PM
You wonder about people that would ruthlessly dispose of a horse that wasn't going well enough for them...remember George Lindeman and Charisma?

Excellent point.

Dancing Lawn
Jul. 17, 2006, 07:19 AM
horses are dumped by unscrupulous owners every week in Kitchener, New Holland and elsewhere. Its nothing new, it isn't uncommon, and they aren't doing it because of mental health issues. They're doing it because its an easy out for them. That, and they don't really love horses, although they may pretend they do.

Fence2Fence
Jul. 17, 2006, 07:34 AM
I just can't imagine dumping off a horse, just becuase it wasn't working out.

But, this happens all over, no matter the sport/breed of horse. When my older horse had the puncture would to the stifle and the bone became infected, I took him to a local Equne hospital for treatment. The vet was like "how much is he worth?" My answer: "By dollars, not much compared to some of the other horses here. But to me, priceless." Sometimes horses are euthanized over injuries that are minor because they aren't "worth" the money.

One of the techs later told me, "We love owners like you. You all will do anything for your horses."

Shame when that's the exception and not the rule.

Fred
Jul. 17, 2006, 08:06 AM
The problem is not slaughter, the problem is that too many horses are bred and there aren't homes for all of them.

I don't agree with what the owner did in this case, but don't blame slaughter for the fact that there are more horses in this country than there are people willing to take responsibility for them.

Some of the responsiblity lies with the people who take their mediocre/lame/rank/crazy mare and breed her b/c they don't know what else to do with her. Or the people who take a nice mare and breed her to a nice stallion and do not have the skill to raise a youngster and quickly become afraid of or bored with "little precious".

I agree with the statement that horse ownership should require a license. But personally, I would prefer a quick end to my life rather than being left to die of starvation or dehydration knee deep in manure in the backyard of some ignorant and foolish person.

agreed: too many horses are being bred. As someone who breeds horses, I face that fact, that reality everyday, and question what I am doing.
I hope that because I am breeding high quality animals, with kind temperaments that they will all go on to loving homes for the rest of their natural lives. But I KNOW that may not be the case. Being a GOOD HORSE, a kind horse and a talented horse is STILL NO *&^%$ GUARANTEE. Look what happened to Exceller, Ferdinand and thousands more...
I sell all my horses with a 'buy back' clause. But if these horses are sold to someone else, my little proviso means nothing to anyone (but me).
However, while I agree with the your last statement about prefering a quick end to my life rather than being left to die of starvation etc.. that is a given. But going to the slaughterhouse - and all that entails- does not qualify as either a quick or dignified end. Just think about it. Look at the pictures on the internet. Or better yet, visit a slaughterhouse.
A responsible owner is responsible for his/her horse, she is his advocate and protector. Sluffing off the responsiblity to some unseen, unknown person,taking the *easy* way out and walking away, is in my mind not just irresponsible but cowardly and immoral. Horses are not just kleenex to be used and discarded. Just my opinion.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 17, 2006, 08:36 AM
Fred,
I think the responsibility you take for the horses you breed is appropriate. I realize that slaughter is not a good answer, but neither is starvation and neglect which also happens to many of these poor animals as they get sold down the line. There are also many kind, well bred and well trained animals that end up with the wrong owner, and ultimate are ruined. We can't solve all the world's problem, I just get so angry when people breed mares that have no business being bred when there are so many mature horses that don't have a proper home. Everyone who breeds should watch the slaughter videos and consider where their foals might end up.

gry

retreadeventer
Jul. 17, 2006, 10:15 AM
Respectfully: the overbreeding stuff is nonsense. You can't tell people what to do with their horses. We don't overbreed. There's no data proving this. And our sporthorses and racehorses are the tip of a large iceburg of horses in this country, 70 percent are backyard and pleasure. Discussing overbreeding is like bailing out the ocean with a teaspoon. It's not the reason for the slaughter problem. Two decades ago studies identified the major cause of slaughter - bound horses; training issues.

More likely: people sell horses every day to others who promise a good home. A horse can change hands several times in a week and end up at auction. I'm not defending a "dumpee" but pointing out the fact that any can be completely innocent of the knowledge that a horse they sold ended up at auction.

And completely possible: I am certain some horse I have had pass through my hands ended up there at some point, and I daresay -- probably unknowingly -- a few horse owners on this board may also have had a horse connected with them in the past that they sold on, eventually end up there. It's not unlikely. There are what 250,000 US horses slaughtered yearly out of a population of 7-8 million horses in the US? Hey math whizzes does that give every horse what sort of chances -- is it one chance in 16 of ending up slaughtered? Conceiveably for every 16th horse owning member of this board, one of their horses went for meat. Sorry if I got the math wrong but do you see the point -- you cannot condemn people if you do not know the exact circumstances, and the slaughter situation is a volume business completely apart from our side of the horse world. "There but for the Grace of God, go I."

We can "have feelings" about it all we want but the people who are walking those aisles every Monday morning sticking up their hands saving horses are the REAL HEROS.
JMO! Flame suit on!

StrawberryFields
Jul. 17, 2006, 12:04 PM
Why does every post have to turn into an argument? we shouldn't need a "Flame suit"!And personally, One chance in 16 that my horse will get slaughtered is ONE TOO MANY.

poopoo
Jul. 17, 2006, 01:07 PM
I just assume event riders would be rescuing horses from the kill pen, not adding more to it.....

tbdressage
Jul. 17, 2006, 01:14 PM
Here is a great article debunking the overbreeding issue....
http://www.saplonline.org/Legislation/ahspa/where_would_all_the_horses_go.htm

Fairview Horse Center
Jul. 17, 2006, 03:39 PM
This is very sad, but don't we see the rumblings of this everyday on these boards. Someone has a horse that is being difficult, even dangerous - FOR THAT RIDER, and the rider is so convinced that they are the best rider in the world, or their trainer is the best in the world, that if THEY can't make it into a good citizen, no one can. AND everyone on the board tells them they are doing the right thing to put it down, (ok, no one is saying send to slaughter, but...) and not let it hurt someone else.

Most bad horses are made by bad riding, yes, even that phenominal trainer may be ruining a sweet, easy horse. The horse may be turned around fairly quickly by someone that is a better match for him.

Most of the horses we hear about that need to be rescued are OTTBs. I wish the race breeders had to finance 90 days in a training/sales barn before taking a horse to an auction. Or maybe had to create an account for a horse's career end (re-training account) when first taken to the track, to give it the best chance of finding a home.

Any horse that I have bred and sold can be sent back here rather than be sent to meat. I will find it a good placement, or if needed, make the decision to put it down. I hope by breeding talented horses with good minds, they will find their way into good homes, but I do realize that is not always the case. It is why I take what I breed very seriously.

dcm
Jul. 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
This is such a sad story to read about. That woman aught to be shot. I didn't read the whole thread, but will come back later tonight to read it.

And completely possible: I am certain some horse I have had pass through my hands ended up there at some point, and I daresay -- probably unknowingly -- a few horse owners on this board may also have had a horse connected with them in the past that they sold on, eventually end up there. It's not unlikely. There are what 250,000 US horses slaughtered yearly out of a population of 7-8 million horses in the US? Hey math whizzes does that give every horse what sort of chances -- is it one chance in 16 of ending up slaughtered? Conceiveably for every 16th horse owning member of this board, one of their horses went for meat. Sorry if I got the math wrong but do you see the point -- you cannot condemn people if you do not know the exact circumstances, and the slaughter situation is a volume business completely apart from our side of the horse world.

Working right now with some friends from COTH to prevent that from happening to a nice horse once owned by us. Current owners (total idiots) are going on two years trying to sell, he's regressed in his training and in his health, and he was never an easy horse to ride in the first place. He is a sweetheart on the ground, and we would never like to see him go that direction. The problem is the sellers want more than they paid for him almost 4 years ago, when in reality his current status puts him at less than 1/4 that. It is a long story, and this would be the worse case scenario, but a very real possibility if he falls into the wrong hands.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 17, 2006, 05:41 PM
I said some of the responsibility for slaughter lies with
the people who take their mediocre/lame/rank/crazy mare and breed her b/c they don't know what else to do with her. Or the people who take a nice mare and breed her to a nice stallion and do not have the skill to raise a youngster and quickly become afraid of or bored with "little precious".

Many horses who end up on the way to the killers are training problems or they are chronically lame. Perhaps I should have used the words "inappropriate" breeding, instead of overbreeding for this scenario. But I also believe the racing industry breeds horses that have no place to go after the track and that they end up at the killers. I will have to take some time to follow your math. But wouldn't the laws of supply and demand say that if there were more demand for horses than supply, even training problems would be able to find homes.

Adamantane
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you, Beverly, mostly for taking action :yes: but secondly for posting about this petulant adult-infant who apparently with calculation is said to have sought to have her horse carved up as food for the French and dogs, merely because the poor creature had disappointed her at a show.

This purported action seems to me particularly perverse for someone who evidently managed, however briefly and tenuously, to forge a sufficiently strong partnership with the maligned creature as to perform creditably together in dressage, which suggests that at some point the rider had successfully been taught within that tradition to know better. Responsible human beings do not send close friends to certain death simply because the friend has experienced a bad day under trying circumstances.

After sharing the story with others, while we were cheered by the so-far happy ending, we were and remain outraged [a term now used so trivially that the savor is lost, but used here as understood 20 years ago] that any nominal adult in a fit of pique could conceivably carry out such a spiteful, vicious act.

Of course we all agree with Erin that absent photographs, witnesses, affadavits and a bloody smoking gun, the identity of the alleged owner purportedly responsible ought not to be named in a public forum.

While acting in such a way would be lawful (and, offensive as this irresponsible behavior is, should remain lawful -- horse ownership licenses are yet one more bureaucratic pit America whose time never will come), such conduct for the transient and trivial reasons named would be unambiguously evil.

After having done such a thing, how could anyone ever turn up again and seek to compete in any activity involving horses?

Anyone who actually would indulge herself in such a tantrum -- barring certifiable insanity in defense -- in simple justice should be vilified and condemned from one coast to the other, forever viewed as tainted in any horse-related endeavor, and barred from membership in, or expelled from, any equestrian organization that asserts even minimal standards of horsemanlike ethical conduct within its membership.

One hopes any such hypothetical offender would, in a just world, be held accountable and sanctioned, and if not officially, at minimum in the eyes of any who claim to be horsewomen or horsemen. Turning a blind eye to such an act would be moral cowardice.

Now after having quietly sketched out some some of my abstract thoughts on this hypothetical possible situation, ask me how I really feel.

Lori B
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:32 PM
Well and cuttingly said, Adamantane. And within the parameters of the BB rules.

I rode in that HT that day, so for some reason I feel that much more sick to my stomach about this story, if true. On a day when I had my most successful and enjoyable equine outing ever, another rider was so callously indulging a fit of pique and disappointment against the horse who did them the favor of carting their semi-educated a$$ around those lovely grounds. Truly sickening.

poopoo
Jul. 17, 2006, 07:22 PM
I would say this action shows a lack of compassion. Isn't that on the road to being a Jeffrey Dahmer type? Scary. Needs professional help.

bounce
Jul. 17, 2006, 07:42 PM
Just a note... this horse will NEVER have to worry about disappointing someone again. I am currently trying to schedule transportation and he is heading south. If anyone has any info whatsoever about the horse... good, bad or otherwise... I would love to have a PM from you. It will give me the best chance of giving the horse what he needs. Health and soundness info, racing career (name), time off, competition behavior... anything would be useful. Right now I have an age and color :D (and while there are some that consider that to be THE most important things, :winkgrin: )

Thank you so much, Beverly (and Kate at Aikendale Farm), for rescuing this guy... and all the others that you have helped! Hopefully this will open a stall for another horse to fit into!

Trakehner
Jul. 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
Whenever a slave was a problem or disappointed "Massa", the threat was to "sell him south".

"Selling him south" meant a one way trip to the sugar plantations in Louisiana or some such even more godawful miserable place than the original plantation.

This girl sold him south for daring to displease her...what a mentality.

bounce
Jul. 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
It's not going to be THAT bad for him down here... the South has evolved SOMEWHAT :D Besides, I am a displaced YANKEE... so he stands a good chance of staying out of the Cotton Fields with me :yes:

lstevenson
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:21 PM
Good going bounce!

It's great to hear that this poor horse will have a wonderful home!:)

poopoo
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, this "Pie" has a home now!!!!! So I hope the moderators will see that a lot of good came out of this thread and it's good they didn't shut it down. Thank you for that. Now this horsey will have a new home with an educated rider who sounds kind. Yeah!!!!! I think this type of story hits a nerve with good horsepeople and so anger and tone appear in posts that just result from frustration. It's just good old fashioned emotions rearing their ugly heads. And maybe some more good will come out of this thread too if the previous "owner" of this particular horse realizes that her behavior was cold, callous, and angry and could possibly benefit from talking to someone about why that is. We can all make improvements in ourselves if only we could face our inadequacies.

Rockin'
Jul. 18, 2006, 02:21 AM
So glad to hear that this horse now has a new home.
Just out of curiosity how would everyone feel about a breeder sending a horse to the hounds. Here in NZ horses are sent for slaughter for dog/food but some are given to the local hunt club to be shot and fed to the hounds instead of PTS and buried on the owners property even though many have the land to bury them on but want to save a few $$'s. Often the reason for disposing of the horse often a broodmare is that she has a health problem yet I know of several cases where the problem could have been managed with medication but the breeders did not want to put the money into the mare as she was no longer breedable so they chose this option. They always claim that they don't want the mare to suffer yet she is not got rid of until the foal is weaned and she has suited their purpose so was she not feeling pain up until that point...one has to wonder?
I can't remember when I was in the USA hearing anyone sending their horses to the hounds but I assume it might happen.

Evalee Hunter
Jul. 18, 2006, 06:45 AM
Yes, I know of one horse sent to the hounds in this immediate area. If I know of one, there have been others. It broke its leg & the hunt came & slaughtered him at the stable & cut him up immediately, so he didn't suffer long, just until they got there, which was quick.

It was a bit shocking as this was a boarding stable with lots of little kids in lesson programs & they took the horse a couple feet out the door into the front parking lot & shot him & bled him right there. I was not there when it was done but saw the aftermath a little later when I got to the barn in question to pick up my daughter.

NMK
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
This horse will be safe and well cared for by Bounce, for sure. I can't help but think that the original owner may have fallen prey to the predator that claims "I'll find him a good home." It happens all the time. If she did send him "down the road" (as opposed to South, which in this case is good!) then shame on her.

If she sent him there, then Bounce, I hope someday you end up in her division with the lowest score ever. That would truly be horse karma at work.

Nancy

Ibex
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
So glad to hear that this horse now has a new home.
Just out of curiosity how would everyone feel about a breeder sending a horse to the hounds. Here in NZ horses are sent for slaughter for dog/food but some are given to the local hunt club to be shot and fed to the hounds instead of PTS and buried on the owners property even though many have the land to bury them on but want to save a few $$'s. Often the reason for disposing of the horse often a broodmare is that she has a health problem yet I know of several cases where the problem could have been managed with medication but the breeders did not want to put the money into the mare as she was no longer breedable so they chose this option. They always claim that they don't want the mare to suffer yet she is not got rid of until the foal is weaned and she has suited their purpose so was she not feeling pain up until that point...one has to wonder?
I can't remember when I was in the USA hearing anyone sending their horses to the hounds but I assume it might happen.

As much as I hate hearing about any horse put down when it wasn't needed, at least in this case:
a) it's quick and humane
b) there's no long transport without food/water/terror

I don't think this is at all the same as slaughter as we generally know it! Although, Evalee Hunter, it probably could have been handled with more discretion in your situation!

basil's mom
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:21 AM
I know of a person that promises to find good homes for unwanted horses and that good home is the auction. I will not judge the owner of bounces' new horse until I meet her/him in person but I wont forget.

HCS
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Bounce sent you a pm with some information.

Susan P
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:57 AM
If not for this woman's selfishness you could have saved the barren mare, she no doubt didn't earn a death sentence for being barren and you would have had room for her if not for this stupid woman dumping her nice horse at the auction. I hope he becomes a dream horse for someone.

What a waste!

:no:

Just when I thought I had seen it all- last Monday we made our regular rescue trip to New Holland. We did not have any room at MidAtlantic Horse Rescue but a farm we work with in NY, Akindale, could take a load. When I first arrived, there was a good looking big dark TB in the ring. They asked who had brought him, no one stepped forward, so they sold him as is. He sold to kill. I went back to the pen and went over him. He was in good flesh and well shod, about 8-9 yrs old. We typically only buy TBs right off the track- the ones that have been started in a new career worry me bc they could have major behavioral or soundness issues. At any rate, I kept him in mind but was not going to have any room for him. At the end of the day there were so many TBs, we decided to send two trailer loads to Akindale (Thankfully they made room!) I went back in the kill pen and had to make a decision between this gelding and a younger barren broodmare. After a lot of agonizing, I decided to take the gelding. I left a friend there with him so they would not put the kill sticker on and went to find Don Nickerson. Don agreed to sell him to me, and we pulled him from the pen and took him home. On Tues I got a call from Martha Grace, our massage therapist. She told me she heard through the grapevine that I bought this horse, and that he had been at FHI starter trials on Saturday. He had a lovely dressage test but was eliminated - he balked and wouldn't jump around. His owner was so fed up she threatened to sell him at New Holland on Monday. An acquaintance offered to buy him but no one took this lady seriously- but that is what she did- she dumped him at the sale, with no note or info, giving him no chance of finding a home. Can you imagine, sending your horse to slaughter bc of your own inadequacies as a rider???? He is now safe up at Akindale and for adoption. He is a beautiful mover, sound, very quiet and sensible, and a good jumper. This was only his second event, and as most know, FHI has substantial courses for the levels. There should be some sort of repercussion for this woman though, but I guess there isnt.

Bev Strauss
MidAtlantic Horse Rescue
www.MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org (http://www.MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org)

imissvixen
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:07 AM
I have a friend who got disqualified for smacking her horse when she stopped at a fence at an event recently. (She was later reinstated when her dad showed the stewards a video of the purported "abuse".) Seems to me that this lady should be disqualified permanently by the USEA. Her offense was much more egregious.

Susan P
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:08 AM
I've been a fence judge, anyone can do it, purely amateur.

I have a friend who got disqualified for smacking her horse when she stopped at a fence at an event recently. (She was later reinstated when her dad showed the stewards a video of the purported "abuse".) Seems to me that this lady should be disqualified permanently by the USEA. Her offense was much more egregious.

showmom07
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:24 AM
...sporthorses and racehorses are the tip of a large iceburg of horses in this country, 70 percent are backyard and pleasure.... overbreeding is ...not the reason for the slaughter problem. Two decades ago studies identified the major cause of slaughter - bound horses; training issues..... We can "have feelings" about it all we want but the people who are walking those aisles every Monday morning sticking up their hands saving horses are the REAL HEROS. JMO! Flame suit on!

Most of the "killer sales" I've ever attended don't have a single TB or WB going thru, some only 1 or 2. The vast majority are grade horses and a few QHs. Most of them did have serious physical or training issues.

While not the case involving the eventing lady, there ARE dangerous horses that no amount of training can fix. They just have a screw loose, just as there are humans that if you let them out of prison will continue to commit crime that no amount of rehab will cure.

In some places, there is no long gruelling trailer ride. Some of the sales I know of have the processing plant on property right next to the sale barn. (At least at these you SHOULD know where the horse is likely to end up.)

It is unconscionable for someone to take a perfectly servicable horse that would make someone else a nice mount or broodmare to such an auction. But there are cases where the horse should be put down because they will live in pain or be dangerous to humans/other horses.

This has probably been posted, but it does pose a logical argument. I don't think the AQHA is into cruelty to horses.
http://www.aqha.com/magazines/americashorse/horsepeople/processing.html

Always like to be able to see both sides.

bounce
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:30 AM
If she sent him there, then Bounce, I hope someday you end up in her division with the lowest score ever. That would truly be horse karma at work.

:lol: Her competition area is a bit far for us... but I do think that WHEN (not if) he is doing fabulously at his events, I will make the trip North just to show her what she threw away!

Just a note- his new name (I won't post the old name, since I don't want to upset the moderators :no: ) is "Castaway" (for obvious reasons). We are going to call him "Wilson", after the basketball head in Tom Hank's Castaway movie. I will post updates on him on our website as well as here on the board. He travels South tomorrow or Thursday, so will be here before the weekend :) I hope HE doesn't think he is being tortured, when he gets to the "heat of the south!!!" :eek: We do have lots of carrots, trees and fans!

Thank you everyone for the info that you have sent to me! I am really looking forward to winning this guys trust! And once again, thank you to Beverly and Kate!

Badger
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
Bounce, I love the new show name and barn name! Inspired!
:lol:

Congrats on your new horse and I look forward to seeing the pictures. Quite a story he comes with.

Meredith Clark
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:27 PM
Wilson was a Volleyball!!! hehehe... very cute name!

showmom07
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:14 PM

The jump judges are often volunteers recruited at the last minute. They attend a short orientation session. Some know little about horses and less about eventing.

More than once I've seen a jump judge disqualify a rider by giving them "unauthorized assistance" and that penalty sticks.

Lucky your friend had a video.

Whisper
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:49 PM
Bounce, I'm so glad you're taking Castaway/Wilson in. :D I hope the two of you do well together, but most importantly, you won't give up on him so easily. I'm sure no horse would mind being sold "down South" if they're going to a barn like yours!

poopoo
Jul. 18, 2006, 02:05 PM
Bounce, I'm so glad you're taking Castaway/Wilson in. :D I hope the two of you do well together, but most importantly, you won't give up on him so easily. I'm sure no horse would mind being sold "down South" if they're going to a barn like yours!

Yes, I'd like to be reincarnated as a horse at your barn. The website is tremendous and it's obvious the horses are well cared for at your barn...... Gotta love those names - how clever!!!

ottb
Jul. 18, 2006, 02:45 PM
It was enlightening reading thru the thread. Many of the posts were very passionate about the issue. For me most of the posts seemed to miss what i think was the most important point. Bev's full and had to send horses to NY to save them. We underestimate the power of 1. If each 1 of us does our little part (and many of the posts seemed passionate enough about the issue, it even required moderator intervention) - it could do wonders for the issue. Bounce has helped this gelding. I have 3 from Bev, all of which are doing splendidly. Maybe next time you're looking 4 a horse - u can check Bev's site or CANTER, etc. It makes room for Bev to give another horse an opportunity. If Bev had room she could have saved the mare as well.

Jleegriffith
Jul. 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
I too just wanted to put in a plug for Bev and Midatlantic HR. We bought the most fabulous horse from her and wish we had room for more. She is very honest and does wonderful work. She gives the horses time off before she restarts them properly undersaddle. The farm is gorgeous and she has quite a wonderful reputation in this area. In my opinion, it's better than buying from Canter b/c these horses have been quarantines, had time off and been restarted undersaddle a bit so she can gauge their attitude and abilities. You can ride them and try them there so come and take a look..can you tell how much I like this rescue.

And yes you can buy to resell. I know others have problems with this but this is what I do to support my horse hobby and I think it allows more horses to be rehomed than rescues who don't allow trainers to buy for resale. Most of our horses are resold to students of ours or into the local area and we always keep up with them.

RiverBendPol
Jul. 18, 2006, 03:12 PM
..........While not the case involving the eventing lady, there ARE dangerous horses that no amount of training can fix. They just have a screw loose, just as there are humans that if you let them out of prison will continue to commit crime that no amount of rehab will cure.............

...........But there are cases where the horse should be put down because they will live in pain or be dangerous to humans/other horses..........

BINGO. If you have a horse who is impossible, PUT IT DOWN. There is no reason in the world to dump it at the $%^&#$% auction/knacker man, for Godssake. Get your vet to come give the thing the Big Needle in a calm, dignified fashion. If you can't bury it at home, arrange for it to be taken away. No, I do NOT care how much it costs. Once you agree to be responsible for an animal, you OWE it that much.

As for you, Bev, you rock. Same goes for Bounce. Thank you gals.:cool: :yes:

Laurierace
Jul. 18, 2006, 03:30 PM
In some places, there is no long gruelling trailer ride. Some of the sales I know of have the processing plant on property right next to the sale barn. (At least at these you SHOULD know where the horse is likely to end up.)

Always like to be able to see both sides.[/QUOTE]

Could you please expand upon the above. Last I heard there were only three slaughterhouse for equines in the united states. Two in Texas and one in Illinois. Horses must be alive when they arrive at the slaughterhouse. What sort of processing is going on in the processing plant that is right next to the sales barn if the horse have to be sent to one of those three places alive?

Event4Life
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
Yay, I'm so glad this guy found a great home! It makes me so angry that horse owners are that irreresponsible. My first horse was an 13 y/o QH. He'd done alot before I got him, and I had 5 wonderful years with him- he not only taught me the ropes of riding and competing, but of horseownership and everything that goes with it. When the time came for me to find a new horse, I knew we wouldn't be able to afford to keep Stan and get another horse on boarding. Before I even thought about bringing my new horse home, I found Stan a home. I knew it was my responsibility, and Stan is now well cared for and a happy light, beginners lesson horse(I make a point to see him at least once a month, his new owner is a family friend and does wonderful things for her horses. She's taken on a few rescue cases herself). ALL horse owners should know their horse is THEIR responsibility- even when, for whatever reason, they need to sell the horse.

Post pictures of "Castaway" when you get him, Bounce! Your farm looks wonderful by the way...I looked at College Of Charleston, definately would have tried to board at your place had I ended up there.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks to all, and just remember- there are SO MANY TBs that are done running that are sound and sane that need new careers!!!!!!! All too often they are just discarded BC they are not making any money!!!!! That often works in our favor, bc if they are not competitive as runners, (and even if they are) they make great sport horses. If you are looking for a nice young TB, check out our site (MidAtlantic Horse Rescue), or we can steer you to Akindale- they have really stepped up to the plate to allow us to save more TBs- or check out Angel Acres, CANTER, RERUN, TRF, Lost and Found, New Vocations, Finger Lakes TB Adoption program, South Jersey TB Rescue- I could keep going on and on- all of these programs are different in many ways but the bottom line is that we work hard to get these TBs into homes as sport and pleasure horses where they can be useful and loved. For every horse we place into a new home, we go rescue another slaughter bound one. So, not only have you saved a life and gotten a nice new prospect, you have also saved the horse that will come in next, and the one beyond that, and beyond that. Find a rescue that meets your needs and that you feel comfortable with, and look for the horse of your dreams. Congrats Bounce! and to everyone else who asked about him, if you are in the market for a nice young horse, contact a rescue!!!

showmom07
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:29 PM
Could you please expand upon the above. Last I heard there were only three slaughterhouse for equines in the united states. Two in Texas and one in Illinois. Horses must be alive when they arrive at the slaughterhouse. What sort of processing is going on in the processing plant that is right next to the sales barn if the horse have to be sent to one of those three places alive?

The "three slaughterhouses" are to prepare meat for human consumption. There are others that can Alpo.

Laurierace
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:34 PM
Horsemeat hasn't been used in dog food in this country in decades.

summerhorse
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:09 PM
yeah it's not considered "safe" enough!! A few zoos do feed it to their big cats.

Susan P
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
Can't be worse than the past 2 days we've had here in PA, 2 days of 98 and 99 with humidity that feels like 105. :( not happy, I hate the heat.

:lol: Her competition area is a bit far for us... but I do think that WHEN (not if) he is doing fabulously at his events, I will make the trip North just to show her what she threw away!

Just a note- his new name (I won't post the old name, since I don't want to upset the moderators :no: ) is "Castaway" (for obvious reasons). We are going to call him "Wilson", after the basketball head in Tom Hank's Castaway movie. I will post updates on him on our website as well as here on the board. He travels South tomorrow or Thursday, so will be here before the weekend :) I hope HE doesn't think he is being tortured, when he gets to the "heat of the south!!!" :eek: We do have lots of carrots, trees and fans!

Thank you everyone for the info that you have sent to me! I am really looking forward to winning this guys trust! And once again, thank you to Beverly and Kate!

bounce
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:55 PM
Can't be worse than the past 2 days we've had here in PA, 2 days of 98 and 99 with humidity that feels like 105. not happy, I hate the heat.

Except that you have 2 days of it... we have 2 months of it :eek: We had a 95 degree day over the weekend and my husband thought it was finally cool enough for us to go canoeing! :yes:

Miss Maddie
Jul. 19, 2006, 11:04 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped this horse, can't wait to hear the updates from Bounce! What a despicable story, but so glad it has a happy ending.

Holly Jeanne
Jul. 19, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sigh. :( Can't wait to get home and give my ReRun horse a hug! Also going to hug my barren mare with photic headshaking.

Glad he has a fresh start in a great place.

After college, I sold my mare to my sister. After a couple of years of not having time to ride, she sold her. I couldn't afford to buy her back and I've oftened wondered what became of her yet been afraid to know the answer. :(

showmom07
Jul. 19, 2006, 02:24 PM
Horsemeat hasn't been used in dog food in this country in decades.

Summerhouse yeah it's not considered "safe" enough!! A few zoos do feed it to their big cats.

What is your source of this information? I'm willing to accept that if there is any verification.

My research says otherwise.
The only thing I could find is that horsemeat is now too expensive as an export to be routinely used in pet food, so by-products are mostly now used. But even this was from an unspecified source (i.e., annonymous USDA veterinarian).
Nothing about it's safety, etc.

I do know of currently operating sale barns with currently operating dog food plants within 50 yards.

LessonLearned
Jul. 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
Yay for Bounce and Castaway! I can't wait to meet this lucky boy! ;)

To answer the question re. dog food, in addition to the expense of horsemeat as a "delicacy" :confused: :

The following quote is from Chronicle of the Horse (2004):

"Today, though, horse meat is no longer used in dog food. In 1966 the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act forced pet-food manufacturers to list their products’ ingredients, and consumers were upset by the amount of horse meat in their pet food. So they switched to beef and beef byproducts. As a result, U.S. horse slaughterhouses, which never numbered more than 35, declined sharply after 1966, and only three remain today."

The link to the complete article:

http://www.fund4horses.org/info.php?id=298

Lookout
Jul. 19, 2006, 07:57 PM
Here is a great article debunking the overbreeding issue....
http://www.saplonline.org/Legislation/ahspa/where_would_all_the_horses_go.htm

This doesn't debunk the overbreeding issue at all. It debunks the pro-slaughter arguments.
If horses were a rare commodity, none would end up at slaughter.

catknsn
Jul. 19, 2006, 08:17 PM
BINGO. If you have a horse who is impossible, PUT IT DOWN. There is no reason in the world to dump it at the $%^&#$% auction/knacker man, for Godssake. Get your vet to come give the thing the Big Needle in a calm, dignified fashion. If you can't bury it at home, arrange for it to be taken away. No, I do NOT care how much it costs. Once you agree to be responsible for an animal, you OWE it that much.

I agree 100%. We are the intelligent species in this equation - it's our job to do the civilized thing.

spina
Jul. 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
This doesn't debunk the overbreeding issue at all. It debunks the pro-slaughter arguments.

So true, Lookout.

Evalee Hunter
Jul. 19, 2006, 09:30 PM

Surely you don't really believe that? The too old to work, the unsound/infirm, the "crazy" or untrainable, would still be disposed of - very possibly by slaughter. In fact, if horses were rare, they might become more valuable (pricewise) for slaughter because those who like the taste of horse flesh would have to pay a price comparable to the "average" riding horse price.

showmom07
Jul. 20, 2006, 07:44 AM
The link to the complete article:

http://www.fund4horses.org/info.php?id=298

Thank you for posting this link. This was a very informative article.
It included both sides of the issue with some very legitimate arguments.

It is true that pet food companies must list ingredients. There are now
folks who are refusing to use certain pet foods because they include
rabbit meat, lamb meat, or other meat from animals they have an emotional
attachment to. But from what I read, the real reason (according to the
pet food companies) for not using horse was that the meat was now
too expensive. By-products are listed on the label by euphimisms such
as "animal proteins" etc.

bounce
Jul. 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
:D So Wilson has arrived! He is very sweet, and except for the 150 lbs that he needs to put on, very cute! We had one minor scare when I checked his tattoo... it looked very much like a "J", which would make him 26 years old. I got out the old faithful pony club book and checked his teeth... and all is well! Just a horrible tattoo job! Updates will continue. I am planning a short ride on Sunday with him!

To his previous owner... you are a fool... :mad:

jetsmom
Jul. 22, 2006, 10:28 AM
Showmom- Look up AFCO labeling regs. They distinctly prohibit pet foods in CA from including animal by-products/meat byproducts from containing horse meat. THe federal AFCO regs state that it must say, Horse meat by products. Since commercially prepared pet food is made to be sold in all 50 states, the commercial producers do not use horse meat, since they would have to make some without horse meat for CA which would be cost preventative. There was an old slaughter thread ("On the Fence" or" Wild horse protection" not sure which,) where I linked the actual regs. But, there is no horse meat/meat by products in commercially made pet food. Horses are slaughtered for human consumption overseas, and a very small amount of meat goes to zoos for big cats.
92.3 % of the horses slaughtered are in good condition, per the USDA stats. QH/QH type horses make up the largest percentage of those slaughtered. THere are only 3 slaughter houses for horses in the US (2 in TX and 1 in IL).
There are many rendering facilities in the country. Renderers take an already dead horse (that died on the track/at home/at the vets) and haul the carcass to their plant to be "broken down" and disposed. Sometimes the mane or tail is sold for horse hair, hooves/legs sold to places that dissect them to make anantomical educational material (freeze dried hooves/legs), or they save the hide. But renderers ONLY take already dead horses and their parts do not enter the food supply for people or animals.

Here is a good link for those wishing to get more info on slaughter myths...

http://www.trfinc.org/news/TRF_WhitePaper.pdf
__________________________________________________ ___________

MAHR- Thanks for saving this guy! And Bounce, same to you. Best of luck with him.

Susan P
Jul. 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
Yup, a cruel end in the slaughterhouse is not the answer for our trusted friends. We're supposed to be the intelligent ones. You have to wonder sometimes. :o

I agree 100%. We are the intelligent species in this equation - it's our job to do the civilized thing.

Susan P
Jul. 22, 2006, 11:32 AM
I hope it's cooling off for you, I can't take those temps or humidity for the 2 days let alone for 2 months.

Congratulations on owning Wilson. Let us know what his tattoo really says. 26, hmmm, almost old enough for me. :winkgrin:

:D So Wilson has arrived! He is very sweet, and except for the 150 lbs that he needs to put on, very cute! We had one minor scare when I checked his tattoo... it looked very much like a "J", which would make him 26 years old. I got out the old faithful pony club book and checked his teeth... and all is well! Just a horrible tattoo job! Updates will continue. I am planning a short ride on Sunday with him!

To his previous owner... you are a fool... :mad:

Fence2Fence
Jul. 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to hear another update on Castaway! Bounce, your one post wasn't long enough!

I'm just itching to go pick up my own ottb.

bounce
Jul. 22, 2006, 01:01 PM
I can't wait to hear another update on Castaway! Bounce, your one post wasn't long enough!

Sorry about that! We have "non-horsey" company in this weekend, so my COTH time is limited. Will post more after Monday! :yes:

JumpingPaints
Jul. 22, 2006, 01:17 PM
I just finished reading this thread and have to say a big kudos to Beverly, Akindale and bouce!! And bounce, you realize when your guests leave, we need pictures!

hb
Jul. 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
I really hope that at some point in his future career Castaway competes against his prior owner at an event and beats her.

LessonLearned
Jul. 23, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'm sure that Bounce will post an update today, but I watched her ride on Wilson this morning. His former human was a fool (and some other things I can't post on a G-rated board. He is a lovely, willing horse. He is also so sweet! He even won over my non-horsey company at the barn this morning!

I took some pictures and sent them on to Bounce so you should have a face with the name shortly!

kcrubin
Jul. 23, 2006, 03:52 PM
I really hope that at some point in his future career Castaway competes against his prior owner at an event and beats her.

OOOHHHH! Now that would be SWEET!!!

bounce
Jul. 23, 2006, 03:53 PM
Okay... so this is the horse that was in the slaughter pen less than 2 weeks ago, because his "mother" was angry that he was eliminated in show jumping. :mad: at his 2nd event (even though she moved him up before he was comfy at the lower level, and even though she was "in his face" over the fences!- I have done some research!)

He has been at my barn exactly 2 days. He was a perfect gentleman! For those of you that contacted me and told me about his previous "riding" experiences... you will be happy to see that he went with no spurs, no whips and no draw reins! (Please no critiguing of me... it was early in the morning- and I am 60 lbs overweight! I am horrified to be putting the pics of me on the board... but wanted you to see what a nice fellow this horse is!)

He is basking in the attention! He had a beauty day today after his ride- mane pulled, sheath cleaned, fungus bath. He is eating 3 square meals (needs to pick up about 150 lbs), enjoying his fan and turn-out, and seems sound, sane and a joy to be around! I can not imagine what he must have been thinking these past few weeks... but I am ever so grateful that Beverly rescued him and Akindale Farm housed him until he could travel south!

I wish there was a legal way to prevent his previous owner from ever owning another horse! I sure hope she doesn't have children!!!

bounce
Jul. 23, 2006, 03:58 PM

I don't... because that means his former owner has a new horse to abuse :eek: !!!

Badger
Jul. 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
Bounce, he looks lovely and looks to be in good weight and condition from the pics. Lucky Wilson and lucky you, this sounds like it may work out really well for both of you. Please continue keeping us updated about the progress.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jul. 23, 2006, 04:13 PM
Wow, I can't imagine what the old owner was thinking. What a lovely horse. I look forward to more updates and pictures.

charlieo
Jul. 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
You guys look like a team -- so glad you found each other.

Louise
Jul. 23, 2006, 04:57 PM
He is BEAUTIFUL! I am so glad that he found his way to you.

3dazey
Jul. 23, 2006, 05:02 PM
What a lovely outcome. I look forward to watching him go. :yes:

magnolia73
Jul. 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
Hey- he really looks like a cute horse and you look nice on him. Great find! Hope to see him at some shows around here when he is ready to go!

Hannahsmom
Jul. 23, 2006, 05:24 PM
He looks like a great horse and I absolutely LOVE the names you have picked for him.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 23, 2006, 05:43 PM
I'm glad he got to you safe and sound. I always really liked him...When I first saw him I thought what a find...he's what a good horseperson looks for in a prospect. Have fun with him...I'm sure he will bloom into a beauty with you!

annikak
Jul. 23, 2006, 06:31 PM
He is totally wonderful (I love love love bay Geldings!) and I echo those that say...great pair, great story and I hope to hear many MANY Wilson stories!:winkgrin: Congrats!

Lori T
Jul. 23, 2006, 08:40 PM
He is GORGEOUS!!!
Please keep us posted and let us know of his outings!
Congratulations!

Pocket Pony
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yay for Bounce!!! He is lovely! Shame, shame, shame on his former owner. She does not deserve to have horses (or any other animals, for that matter) in her life. Ugh.

I look forward to reading all about Wilson's progress; I am sure he will bloom under your care!

Can you post a link to the pictures? I want to see them bigger but they won't open for me!

baileygreyhorse
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:03 PM
What a wonderful end to this story. Bounce, I'm so glad you found Wilson. He is lovely. You both are very lucky. There's a special place in Hades for the "owner" who dumped him.

CookiePony
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:03 PM
Hooray for you both! You are lucky to have found each other.

Susan P
Jul. 23, 2006, 11:59 PM
:cry:

Susan P
Jul. 24, 2006, 12:02 AM
Maybe she should take up riding bicycles. :mad: :rolleyes:

I don't... because that means his former owner has a new horse to abuse :eek: !!!

bounce
Jul. 24, 2006, 05:32 AM
Maybe she should take up riding bicycles. :mad: :rolleyes:

:D LOL !!! Maybe I should send her a bike! Better be a tricycle! I would hate for her to fall off and have the thing crushed at the junk yard!!! :mad:

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 24, 2006, 06:03 AM
Best of luck with him! He looks like a lovely boy!

Lori B
Jul. 24, 2006, 06:45 AM
He's so fancy! Keep us posted on his progress. Thank you again for rescuing him.

Susan P
Jul. 24, 2006, 08:17 AM
It wouldn't bother me so much if she did that to .... a bike! :rolleyes:

:D LOL !!! Maybe I should send her a bike! Better be a tricycle! I would hate for her to fall off and have the thing crushed at the junk yard!!! :mad:

Fence2Fence
Jul. 24, 2006, 09:06 AM
You two look really nice together!

He's too handsome!

austin
Jul. 24, 2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks to you guys for rescuing this horse. sometimes it is the most willing and sensitive horses that are the most misunderstood.

Sandy M
Jul. 24, 2006, 05:38 PM
He's 26? Looks like a very nice horse, but... he's 26? and someone was not only competing him but abusing him and then dumped him, because he was being difficult and she'd moved him up a level too soon? at age 26? Or was that business about the tattoo in an earlier post saying that the tattoo had been misread and it would make him 26, but he's not?

Just confused. Great that he's been rescued and will have a happier life from now on. Lovely looking horse.

bounce
Jul. 24, 2006, 07:00 PM
No... he is not 26. When I got him off the trailer and looked at his tattoo, it appeared to be a J, which would make him 26. It is a really bad tattoo! I checked his teeth and did some more tattoo deciphering, and he is indeed, 8 years old (B). It scared me for a short while, and he was less than please to have me examining his lip every 10 minutes! I made up for it with lots of carrots and he has forgiven me!!! :winkgrin:

riverpup
Jul. 25, 2006, 06:12 AM
What a nice looking guy! Thank you for saving him from a terrible end. I don't know how rescuers deal with the various cr@p they see. Hats off to you.

RHdobes563
Aug. 12, 2006, 10:36 AM
How is Castaway/Wilson doing?

bounce
Aug. 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
He is doing very well! He did manage to get into a mess of fire ants yesterday, and is one big "ouchy/itchy" hive this morning... so will have a few days off to recover from that... be he has been nothing short of wonderful since he arrived :yes:

War Admiral
Aug. 12, 2006, 12:11 PM
He is absolutely loffly and I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that he has found an equally loffly home.

It really is true that one man's trash is another man's treasure, isn't it...

A plague upon the prior owner. May her equestrian career be destroyed!!!

kkj
Aug. 12, 2006, 12:34 PM
Bounce may you have a ton of fun and success with him. You deserve it.

May Karma catch up with she who dumped this guy sooner than later. Or may she see the errors of her ways and start her own rescue org. We could use more saints out there looking out for the poor dumped ones.

frugalannie
Aug. 12, 2006, 02:11 PM
Bounce, I am thrilled for both of you! You and Wilson already make a fabulous team.

Trixie
Aug. 12, 2006, 05:59 PM
Congratulations and good luck to bounce!

Reading this pissed me off beyond belief but I am very relieved to hear of the happy outcome.

ottb dressage
Aug. 14, 2006, 11:12 AM
continued good luck!

Badger
Apr. 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
I was thinking about this thread and would love an update, almost two years later. Did Wilson ever make it back to the show ring? Did his ex-owner get another horse?

NeverTime
Apr. 21, 2008, 05:56 PM
Me, too! I saw this thread revived and hoped it was because there was an update on it. Let's hear how Wilson is doing!:yes:

Meredith Clark
Apr. 21, 2008, 06:11 PM
I loved this thread (seems like just yesterday) .. I hope he's still doing well :)

SoEasy
Apr. 21, 2008, 07:30 PM
I saw this thread back up again, and wondered if someone else saw the article about Bev/MAHR in the Breeding & Racing section of the Horse of Delaware Valley, telling of the rescue of a former PHBA 2yr old champion racehorse from the NY kill pens.

Any updates on that horse Bev?

Popylinga
Jan. 15, 2009, 11:08 PM
I was just reading through this thread, and can't believe there are no updates!!

I feel like I just read a great book and somehow the ending is missing. I tried looking up Bounce's website, but couldn't find it.

How about the "rest" of the story from anyone in the know.

Brandy76
Jan. 16, 2009, 01:23 PM
Again - kudos to the person who rescued him!!

I see the ex"owner occassionally, and yes she has a new victim. There are several people who know her who shun her after what happened. :no:

jenm
Jan. 16, 2009, 01:27 PM

Beverly,

I would like to share this story on another forum, may I have your permission to crosspost?

~Jennifer

jumper19
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:44 PM
But personally, I would prefer a quick end to my life rather than being left to die of starvation or dehydration knee deep in manure in the backyard of some ignorant and foolish person.

I'm sorry, but slaughter is by NO means a "quick end." The torture horses go through is a long, excrutiating, and vile procedure.
I agree with you that there are way too many horses and no where near enough suitable owners, but slaughter is not the way out of the problem.

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 16, 2009, 03:58 PM
If not for this woman's selfishness you could have saved the barren mare, she no doubt didn't earn a death sentence for being barren and you would have had room for her if not for this stupid woman dumping her nice horse at the auction. I hope he becomes a dream horse for someone.

What a waste!

:no:

Yes, the poor mare. And all the others we don't hear about.
The people like OP who go into the kill pens to rescue are all wonderful people., Breeders need to have to watch the slaughter videos nightly.:mad:

LessonLearned
Jan. 16, 2009, 04:27 PM
Not sure how much bounce posts on here right now, so I thought I would update on Wilson. He is currently living the high life with his new mom. She wanted a sweet horse to do some dressage/trail riding/Parelli with and Wilson fit the bill to a T. I talked to her a few months ago and he was doing well, being spoiled the way he should be. He did develop anhydrosis last summer, but is doing well with treatments. He still loves all things peppermint and his new mom loves him to pieces.

I will try to email her and see if she can send me some updated pictures for his "fans."

As for the woman who dumped him off at New Holland -- a pox on her and god help her new horse. :mad:

Badger
Jan. 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks so much for the update, LessonLearned. Would love to see current pics of Wilson. This story really captured the interest of the board and it's great to hear that things have turned out so well.

ottbrider
Jun. 1, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone here! I finally figured out how to get onto the thread!! Anyway - I am Wilson's mom. I first want to thank Bev for all that she does! Without people like her in this world - well - - I don't even want to think about it! I also must send a world of thanks to Bounce (aka Amy). She was so good to us when Wilson and I started our journey together. She gave me a free month's worth of board and lessons to make sure we got off on the right foot (or should I say lead ha ha).

Anyway - I have had the pure pleasure of having Wilson since October 2006 and every day with him just gets better and better! I finally purchased my own trailer in April 2009 and I can't believe the difference that has made in our confidence. I am sure he moans every time he sees me pull up with it at the barn. We have been going out almost every weekend now! Of course with the summer heat of South Carolina setting in - and his anhydrosis (hopefully it will skip us this summer pray pray pray) - our outings will be cut back severely here soon.

Anyway - I also want to thank each and every one of you who have posted on this thread. His story is truly amazing to me! I had another TB mare that I had rescued back in 2000 who had died in a a freak accident in Jan 2005 and I thought I might never work up the nerve to own a horse again. I truly feel that somehow Bobbie played a small part in bringing Wilson into my life too!

I am so grateful every day (and FOR every day) that we have together. I am doing Parelli Natural Horsemanship with him (ok - I know - I am not a freak though), doing some fabulous trail riding and getting ready to hopefully go to our first dressage show in the fall! He does not jump any more (a. I fear for my life ha ha and b. the vet said he should never jump - he's estimates he has lost about 80% of the flexion in his fetlocks). But - he is perfectly happy doing what we do!

We have actually gone out to a cross-country course and "played" though! No jumping of course - but just messing around!! It was fun.

We've been up the Biltmore in Asheville, NC for a fun ride and we've been to the beach and other fun places that I am sure neither one of us thought we'd ever go to!!

He is the most popular horse at the barn - the girls have taken to calling him "Prince Wil's" because he is SO SO handsome and loves to be the center of attention!!

I really do love what the PNH has done for us. It's given me permission to just let him be a horse! It has certainly helped our relationship. He greets me at the gate every time I go to the barn and we LOVE to play at Liberty (that just me and him in the arena - no halter, no lead line etc and him responding to my cues and doing what I ask him to do) and I hope to one day ride him bareback and bridleless.

In the meantime - he just gets spoiled. I just cannot believe what would ever possess a person to load a horse up and drive him to the slaughter house. I don't think I can add anything else that anyone else had not already said on this!

Anyway - I will attempt to post some pics of the "man" and I wish you all the best. Thanks for continuing to keep the spirit of the happy ending that Wilson had alive and hopefully this story will helps others out there like him!!

God bless you all!

Ok - I am going to have to work on getting the pics posted! Hope to have some soon!!! Take care all.

Wilson's Mom - aka - Lori

NeverTime
Jun. 1, 2009, 03:21 PM
What a great update! Good for you and Wilson!

Jleegriffith
Jun. 1, 2009, 03:24 PM
Love the update and glad you are enjoying him.

Lori B
Jun. 1, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hey, I was just wondering about him the other day. Great to hear he is happy and well-partnered. Good job ottbrider, and thanks for the update.

Lori T
Jun. 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for sharing!

SEPowell
Jun. 1, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hey, great update. I met him that fateful day at New Holland; he was standing so politely in the pen with the usual auction chaos going on all around. So glad he's well loved. Yippee for you and thanks for adopting him.

ottbrider
Jun. 1, 2009, 04:44 PM
Here are a few pics - hope you can get to them. I am not very good at this sort of thing ha ha!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/ottbrider/Wilson%202009/playingsqueezeatfullgallop.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/ottbrider/Wilson%202009/handsomeatfullgallop.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/ottbrider/Wilson%202009/babyjumpatfullgallop.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/ottbrider/IMG_0618.jpg

ottbrider
Jun. 1, 2009, 04:51 PM
Oh - - BTW - - Can we still be "honorary" eventers?? He did go to a few events and maybe would still do a bit if I had the nerve and he had the joints!

I have developed a big interest in this discipline since adopting him. One of the trainers we work with is an avid eventer (she's actually pretty flippin' good - I think she's been training some with the O'Connor's) and between her and LessonLearned - I do follow it a good bit now. WEG at Kentucky Horse Park - - how great is that?!?!?!

Thanks -

jenm
Jun. 1, 2009, 06:05 PM
What a fabulous update and of course the pictures are fantastic!

I look forward to more updates and more pictures. :)

He is one lucky guy!

BarbB
Jun. 1, 2009, 06:10 PM
What a beautiful, and lucky guy!

Thank you so much for the update.

Gunnar
Jun. 1, 2009, 06:14 PM
He is beautiful! :yes:

Sugarbrook
Jun. 1, 2009, 06:24 PM
Wonderful pictures. I know you are so happy and what a good ending to this story.

Parysa
Jun. 1, 2009, 09:06 PM
Yay!!!

FolsomBlues
Jun. 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
What an absolutely stunning boy! I am such a sucker for tall, dark, and handsome! Of course you can be an honorary eventer!

frugalannie
Jun. 2, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thank you for updating Wilson's extended COTH "family". Great save by you!

And of course you can remain eventers in your hearts.

TXPiaffe
Jun. 2, 2009, 07:46 PM
Stanley has been threatened with being taken to Rushville and sold by the pound when we trotted into the stadium arena at a show, and then spent the next 5 minutes spinning in circles, snorting, and running backwards because the sand was "scary". I think we set some sort of record for getting Ed before crossing the start flags.

Would I ever do it? Nope! Although at the time I did feel like beating him into little 1lb packages of Stanley meat I did spend 30 minutes yesterday washing, conditioning, brushing, and braiding his tail.

I know exactly where Rushville sale is! been there and bought a few out of there to get them better homes!

LessonLearned
Jun. 3, 2009, 06:52 PM
Lori -- we are going to have to go out trail riding at some point! I would love to see Wilson again. He looks WONDERFUL and I can only imagine his popularity at the barn -- he is a hunk (and a sweet one to boot :)). I am so glad he has found his forever home with you :yes:

riverpup
Jun. 3, 2009, 09:18 PM
He has such a lovely eye- so soft and happy! Thank you for the update.

groundsore
Jun. 4, 2009, 04:06 AM
I'm happy to have gotten a chance to read this thread all these years later. Equine rescues have always been a part of my horse life and I've been at all ends of the spectrum-- adopting, helping out, adopting again, reselling, buying a fancy horse that I faux-threatened a LOT with destruction but eventually re-homed and now he is a deserving woman's "horse of a lifetime" (shoot, he cost me enough money and injury that he should be worth something BIG for someone else) and now I am "home breeding" a few horses of my own. Without all of that experience I wouldn't have learned the following:

- That many horses, even ones with some physical conditions (blind, for instance!) have an opportunity to find their own purpose in life, for someone. And it is amazing how many injuries CAN be healed.
- That some horses truly are NOT safe or good beings. It is the special talent of folks in the rescue business to pick out the ones that will have a good chance at rehabilitation and that's why it's very important for all horse people to support good rescues.
- That supporting rescues does not necessarily mean a $1000 check. Simply showing up to help out, or donating some good, usable equipment (anti-fungal shampoos for scratches or rain rot for instance!) can make a big difference.
- That Icelandics are the coolest little horses! Who knew! When my back has finally had enough in this lifetime, I'm going to tolt on into my golden years.
- That it is tough to realize that there are some horses that I don't get on with-- and that it is not a reflection on my abilities (negatively) but rather my judgement (positively) when i decided to give my horse to a friend's friend. Even if her success always stings ever so slightly.
- That there is no way for me to know where my little homebreds will go if I ever sell them. I've thought a lot about whether slaughterhouses would ever scan for their microchip, were they to ever end up there. It's made me consider branding them (when I would have never done so before) on the hopes that if they DO end up there, maybe someone would notice a WB brand and think twice about identifying the horse...does anyone know if they do scan?

My favorite quote from a rescue coordinator: "Some people ask, 'there are so many horses to save and more just keep arriving. Do you ever question whether or not what you do matters?' And she pointed to a grulla mustang in his pen 'It matters to him!'."

Thanks to everyone for their work with rescues, especially this *stunning* example Wilson, and for folks that will make the effort or expense to help a rescue out. I wondered just this one other question: did the offending woman ever grasp the error of her actions? Did she notice that she was treated differently by others in the horse community? Was she changed by the responses to her, or changed by reflection on this mistake?

kcrubin
Jun. 4, 2009, 07:48 AM
did the offending woman ever grasp the error of her actions? Did she notice that she was treated differently by others in the horse community? Was she changed by the responses to her, or changed by reflection on this mistake

I would have to say no from what I've heard second hand.

JSwan
Jun. 4, 2009, 08:11 AM
I am so happy this horse has a good home and there is a happy ending to this story. Though I don't know why bounce got rid of the horse after she took it in. The animal could easily have ended up in the kill pen again for all anyone knows. I'm afraid I don't recall if bounce was fostering the horse or actually owned it -sorry if I'm confused on that point.

But I admit I am puzzled by your post. How is it that you feel justified in "home-breeding" horses after working in rescue, yet condemn the faceless others that do the same but many years later - have their horse end up at slaughter through no fault of their own?

Surely if you know so much about rescue and slaughter you'd be well acquainted with the "too much breeding" arguments. In which case, a responsible person would not contribute to the apparent overabundance of horses.

I'm happy to have gotten a chance to read this thread all these years later. Equine rescues have always been a part of my horse life and I've been at all ends of the spectrum-- adopting, helping out, adopting again, reselling, buying a fancy horse that I faux-threatened a LOT with destruction but eventually re-homed and now he is a deserving woman's "horse of a lifetime" (shoot, he cost me enough money and injury that he should be worth something BIG for someone else) and now I am "home breeding" a few horses of my own.

ottbnaturally
May. 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
Just a quick update --- Wilson is doing great!! We changed his diet, de-toxed him and his anhydrosis and bug allergies are a thing of the past (fingers crossed). He has been getting CHIRO and equine balanced dentistry and lots of opinions on what to do with his pancake flat TB feet with under-run heels and long toes lol!! I am trying to keep him barefoot!!

We just went to a Level 2 PNH clinic and had a blast!! 3 straight days of nothing but "you and me" time!! Everyone at the clinic fell in love with him - - he is such a "cool cat" - - what a personality!!!

Anyway - - I still haven't made it to a show yet - - went to a local schooling show last November - and am undecided on plans for that. I can take him pretty much any where and he does well EXCEPT show grounds -- he gets very anxious! Maybe he remembers what the crazy lady did to him the last time he was at a show!!

Anyway - - here are a few pics of the handsome devil to update you all! He is such a gift to me. I love him so much! As long as there is breath in my body and money in the bank - he will have a forever home!!

Take care all!!!

Lori

OK - - so I am having a hard time attaching pics lol!! I have to re-do them tee hee!! These are not the ones I meant to get on here!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=852352&id=1592973861

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=852352&id=1592973861

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=852715&id=1592973861

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=852350&id=1592973861

kookicat
May. 11, 2010, 04:46 PM
Glad he's in a good home now. :) Your links don't work for me, sorry.

VicariousRider
May. 11, 2010, 05:07 PM
The entitled person who did that should be outed and publicly shamed, if you ask me. Maybe then we would see if she still stood by her decision...

Thank heavens for the people who have stepped into this horse's life and given him the love that the ALL deserve. This is a wonderful story and I hope that it encourages others to do the same.

Whisper
May. 11, 2010, 08:06 PM
You need to make the album publicly viewable so we can see him! Thanks so much for the update, and I'm glad he's working out for you!

Barnfairy
May. 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hooray! I'm so glad you posted, because I was truly wondering how Wilson was doing lately (triggered because I found a volleyball in the woods after a recent windstorm!)

Yes, you need to make the pictures public please! :yes:

Meredith Clark
May. 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
The entitled person who did that should be outed and publicly shamed, if you ask me. Maybe then we would see if she still stood by her decision...

She was.. it was actually pretty easy to find out who she was based on what division she was in and her results. Can't remember her name at the moment but I'm sure someone else does!

So Wilson was rescued, and then given up again? Or did I miss a part of the story :confused:

Hope he's doing well! (can't see the pictures)

Carol Ames
May. 11, 2010, 11:14 PM
would frankly be inclined to wonder about the mental health of someone who would take action like that. I mean, donating a horse to a college will net a larger tax deduction than meat prices at auction and most colleges with equine programs in the area would SNAP at a nice horse like that.

I suspect he was an "ego shield:mad:" for her and after the elimination could no longer be that:no::o; thank you for rescuing him :yes: sorry about the mare:cry:; but, you can't save them all:cry::sadsmile::no:

Carol Ames
May. 11, 2010, 11:24 PM
links don't work for me, either:no:!I wonder if, with the no sweat:eek: and allergies he was just too expensive for her to keep for her want/ use; I agree there are other more humane ways of disposing of a horse; and wish there some way to notify the public that, without naming names; there are more humane ways of disposing of horses; as HSUS did years ago with the race horse industry;

could he become a "poster horse:cool:" for your rescue?

Cindyg
May. 11, 2010, 11:32 PM
Yes, please try the pictures again. I'd like to see them. Who was your instructor (at the clinic)?

ottbnaturally
Nov. 3, 2010, 04:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pplm2ANWmc8

Hi all -- trying to keep this thread alive in honor of all the rescue's out there!! Here is a video of my boy playing in the pond at the barn!! He is living large!! No eventing for him - finally broke down and got the xrays in September to confirm for sure that the right front was just to tight to work.

Old suspensory and sesamoid calcifications led the vet to put the ixnay on the jumping I was hoping to do!

Either way - we are going to start getting in shape to go to some schooling shows and amaze them with his lovely dressage movements lol!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this horse!! Every single day - - I am so thankful to have him in his life!!

And - to those few who have asked - - Bounce has spent most of her adult life taking OTTB's and re-starting them and placing them. I am very thankful to her for stepping so quickly and getting Wilson to a new home.

Enjoy the video - - we certainly enjoy watching them at play!! He's a monster when he gets going lol!!

Sincerely,

Wilson's FOREVER Mom

ottbnaturally
Nov. 3, 2010, 04:04 AM
oh - - and in case you couldn't figure it out - - Wilson is the one REARING and mugging the camera and just being silly!!

bizbachfan
Nov. 3, 2010, 06:48 AM
great video, all lovely horses! Wilson is gorgeous and a ham.

ride29
Nov. 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
he is beautiful! I love seeing horses being able to just be horses and have a blast!

ottbnaturally
Nov. 3, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hey there ride29 - - where in HOT and Humid SC r u located lol??? We are near Charleston and it's crazy hot and humid down here lol! We had a hell of a summer!

Wilson spent about 3 weeks in the barn during the day getting lots of attention lol!!

LessonLearned
Nov. 3, 2010, 09:27 AM
LOVE THIS!!! Wilson is so happy and loved. He could not have asked for a better place to be!

I am so going to need to bring the Fishbeast over to play with Wilson the next time the pond is open (and he is allowed to cavort -- silly broken pony). I can't wait to come see Wilson. We need to set this up soon!

I have long hoped that his previous owner gets an unscratchable itch in an unpleasant place.

ottbnaturally
Nov. 3, 2010, 09:49 AM
Tee hee - - I have been waiting for you to get back to town!! I am ready to set the "tag team" plan in motion!! We have got to get the hottie back in shape and get him going on his dressage!!

R u going to be around this weekend??? Jerry Schmidt - - of the famed Equine Balanced Dentistry is going to be in town this weekend doing their teeth!!

You should definitely plan to come by to meet him and see what he has to offer - - PLUS - - I am planning to ride the prince Sat am -- you could come jump on!!

Give the FishBeast a kiss and tell him as soon as he can cavort - - Wilson will take him a tour of the farm and pond!! They LOVE it!! Even in the "winter" lol!!

ottbnaturally
Nov. 3, 2010, 09:51 AM
OH yes - - and I have "googled" his previous owner!! She has had several "mounts" since Wilson and it's funny that there has been more than one "E" by her name on the results list!!

HHHHHMMMMM - - maybe the pox on her is working and she will give up riding all together - - maybe she is getting the picture that it is not the horses - - but the stinky rider!!!

Brandy76
Nov. 3, 2010, 10:29 AM
I saw her earlier this year, and it is the first I've spoken to her - we FROZE her out locally. she does have a new horse/victim.

Some of the things I've seen her do over the years.....:eek:

ake987
Nov. 3, 2010, 06:09 PM
What a wonderful ending, Wilson ended up being the luckiest horse, not the unluckiest!

As angry as this woman's actions make me, I have to remind myself that it is LOVE that changes people, not HATE. Trust me, it is hard for me to say this, and there are lots of things I would love to say to that woman. But focusing on Wilson's happy, happy, HAPPY ending is so much more worthwhile than thinking about that unfortunate soul. I feel sorry that she clearly does not understand the loving bond between horse and rider and never will experience that, but his new owner loves and respects this horse and things could not have ended better for him!

AND, people now know about this woman and her tendencies and this is a great forum that will hopefully be able to help if it ever happens again. :)

CookiePony
Nov. 4, 2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the Wilson update-- I appreciate them and knowing that he is in a good home now. :yes:

EqTrainer
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:18 AM
What a wonderful ending, Wilson ended up being the luckiest horse, not the unluckiest!

As angry as this woman's actions make me, I have to remind myself that it is LOVE that changes people, not HATE. Trust me, it is hard for me to say this, and there are lots of things I would love to say to that woman. But focusing on Wilson's happy, happy, HAPPY ending is so much more worthwhile than thinking about that unfortunate soul. I feel sorry that she clearly does not understand the loving bond between horse and rider and never will experience that, but his new owner loves and respects this horse and things could not have ended better for him!

AND, people now know about this woman and her tendencies and this is a great forum that will hopefully be able to help if it ever happens again. :)

This is so true and beautifully written. I hate situations like this as much as the next person but it doesn't help... People like her have to find out for themselves. Let's hope she does.

ottbnaturally
Nov. 4, 2010, 09:25 PM
Wow - - I am so touched by this reply! And yes - - it is so well written. I do absolutely ADORE this magnificent boy!

I am sure his is not the only story like this out there - and that is part of the reason I want to keep it alive! As someone else said - hopefully his story can prevent it happening to some other poor animal out there! Maybe some one will think twice now before doing something like this!

Thanks again for that beautiful reply. He is a very happy and much loved horse!! He will never know fear or anger again!!

Take care all!

Lori