PDA

View Full Version : Compassion for OTTBs, many not so lucky

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 09:22 AM
I'm wondering if there is any compassion left for the many OTTBs who become injured??? I've been trying to get help for vet bills at New Bolton for rescued OTTBs. Their owners dumped them and they were rescued through the efforts of COTHers on another thread in Off Course but there doesn't seem to be much interest in them now and money for their vet bills haven't come in.

You might figure out what's going on in my mind when I read about all the well wishers for Barbaro while I watched Nate and Kelly in my pasture, rejected and certainly neglected. Who cares about them? They need help and it's easily done. Instead of sending Carrots and flowers to Barbaro why not help a horse who needs your help. There are so many horses that need help but you can't give Barbaro anything he doesn't already have and he is provided for very well. He needs your prayers but he doesn't need all the carrots he's gotten, he can't eat them all.

Nate and Kelly are now in the hands of Lost and Found Horse Rescue, www.lfhr.org (http://www.lfhr.org) they are great horses. They deserve a chance at life too. Nate is only 4 years old. http://www.mjarden.com/nk.html Here's a video made by a fellow COTHer about them.

luvmytbs
Jul. 14, 2006, 10:04 AM
I think Barbaro would totally approve if donations would be made to help others in need. I bet, if he had any say, he'd be sending some himself. He is after all a millionaire!

Spoilsport
Jul. 14, 2006, 10:04 AM
Thank you for posting this :) . Just because we care deeply about Barbaro doesn't mean we don't care about the not-so-famous horses that need help. Many of my horses have been freebies. When one of my freebies had a catastrophic injury, she was treated at New Bolton, and received the same care and love Barbaro is receiving. They didn't ask for payment up front, and (although I did pay my bills right away) I know they are very patient with people who can't pay.

I'll look into Lost & Found Rescue and see how I can help. Is there a way they can set up a fund so that people can send money directly to New Bolton? I've been actively involved with two horses rescues in the past. The first was run by a shameless crook who took my money, and I left the second one because, frankly, the people running it were so naive and disorganized that they were doing as much harm as good. So I hope you understand why I am more comfortable sending the money directly to NBC.

The horses on the website are really cute!!

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 10:33 AM
I agree that just because you care about Barbaro and I do too, it doesn't mean that you don't care about not-so-famous OTTBs. But let's just sit back and watch and see if this thread gets anywhere near the interest that the Barbaro thread does. In my opinion if you're going to send Bobby a gift and you can afford to do that then twice as much should go to help his brothers and sisters that are in such need. Until they are all safe, how can we not? Otherwise it's just like being a groupie for a movie star, a famous actor suffers the same as the poor men in the hospital ward for the poor. They can both have cancer and feel the same pain, have the same needs. The wealthy can afford whatever care they need, fine, but don't send him the flowers (unless he's a friend), send it to the ward where they don't receive them, pay for extra care or send candy. I hope I'm understood here. I would take nothing from Barbaro but instead ask for the others to share in the sympathy.

I appreciate that you do care about all the horses, Barbaro and Nate and Kelly as well as those who never had a chance. :cry: There are a lot more of those that never had a chance. We all need to have a heart and do what we can. I agree that Barbaro would want to live and let his racing buddies live too. I have a pony that was in a kill pen. http://horse-protection.org/info.php?id=47 Since this was written, Teddy had gone on to be a Pony Club pony and he and his young rider won many ribbons, champion and assorted colors. He started in riding camp, them PC Rally, they Fair Hill Horse Trials Elementary 6th out of 13. I'd say he's all that and a bag of chips and she's a great rider who loved him to pieces. She's riding a different horse now but still loves Teddy and so do I.

And read Gretchen Jackson's comments here: http://horse-protection.org/

Thank you for posting this :) . Just because we care deeply about Barbaro doesn't mean we don't care about the not-so-famous horses that need help. Many of my horses have been freebies. When one of my freebies had a catastrophic injury, she was treated at New Bolton, and received the same care and love Barbaro is receiving. They didn't ask for payment up front, and (although I did pay my bills right away) I know they are very patient with people who can't pay.

I'll look into Lost & Found Rescue and see how I can help. Is there a way they can set up a fund so that peopole can send money directly to New Bolton? I've been actively involved with two horses rescues in the past. The first was run a crook who took my money, and I left the second one because, frankly, the people running it were too naive. So I hopw you understand why I am more comfortable sending the money directly to NBC.

The horses on the website are really cute!!

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 10:35 AM
:yes:

I think Barbaro would totally approve if donations would be made to help others in need. I bet, if he had any say, he'd be sending some himself. He is after all a millionaire!

Glimmerglass
Jul. 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
I have to say I find this thread being started just at this moment a bit in poor taste and the underlying suggestion that New Bolton by not doing pro-bono work is somehow a sign of no compassion a bit irksome.

A center like New Bolton could work 24/7 all year long with money-deprived horses injured - for free - and still not likely beable to fix them all. Not to mention the facility would be bankrupt in less then a couple of months and then to what benefit for anyone else would that have helped?

Just look at the Emergency Room crisis for US hospitals with humans.

Abandoned anything and everything has been around since the time of Jesus. Charles Dickens did not write tales of poor boys on the street turning to crime as a work of pure fiction - it happened then (abandoned children) and continues today. Just within the last couple of weeks Chicago was shocked to learn of a mother who dumped her son at a large public event.

I take my hat off to those folks who work at rescues, save horses from kill pens, and all that goes with the passion to make a difference. However I do draw the line at casting everyone who won't make their professional services free to everyone and all some how compassionless.

equinelaundry
Jul. 14, 2006, 10:42 AM
Susan, I have a lot of respect for you and your compassion is inspiring but I am slightly offended by this post. This BB has moved mountains to save many horses, so many have opened their hearts, farms and wallets.

What a shame to count how many views this thread has when the original thread to help had thousands. :(

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:02 AM
This came strictly out of your imagination. Never did I imply that New Bolton does not do pro bono work, I know for sure they do. They give of themselves quite generously including Dr. Richardson. He's been very generous and they are all generous to rescues. Of course they can't do everything for free. I am referring to individuals who could help and while they may cry over Barbaro they may not have ever given a dime to help a horse in need. Since this is a horse forum I don't bring up children in need, there are many of those that need help too.

I have no clue who did what to help a horse but what I do see is rescues begging for help and I don't think they should be in that position. How many horses end up there that were supposedly loved at one time? We should all be grateful for the safety net of horse rescuers. They are the true heroes for horses. I would call Dean Richardson one of the heroes but not because he's a talented surgeon who is doing a hurculean effort to save Barbaro, but because he cares and helps any horse he can, and not always for money. I have NOTHING bad to say about New Bolton Center, they are MY vets, I think they are among the very best of caring vets in the world.

I have to say I find this thread being started just at this moment a bit in poor taste and the underlying suggestion that New Bolton by not doing pro-bono work is somehow a sign of no compassion a bit irksome.

A center like New Bolton could work 24/7 all year long with money-deprived horses injured - for free - and still not likely beable to fix them all. Not to mention the facility would be bankrupt in less then a couple of months and then to what benefit for anyone else would that have helped?

Just look at the Emergency Room crisis for US hospitals with humans.

Abandoned anything and everything has been around since the time of Jesus. Charles Dickens did not write tales of poor boys on the street turning to crime as a work of pure fiction - it happened then (abandoned children) and continues today. Just within the last couple of weeks Chicago was shocked to learn of a mother who dumped her son at a large public event.

I take my hat off to those folks who work at rescues, save horses from kill pens, and all that goes with the passion to make a difference. However I do draw the line at casting everyone who won't make their professional services free to everyone and all some how compassionless.

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
So how do you suggest horses get help? Say something in your comments that help so we aren't discussing the poor horses any more because they are all taken care of. I'm very aware of what has happened in this BB, too aware. I'm also aware of when it's no longer of interest.

If you want to criticize me for bringing up the subject, that's fine but let's just get the horses taken care of and I won't say another word. Don't you see the contrast in concern? You must. It's upsetting to me, knowing that there is such a need for so many OTTBs and other horses of all breeds or cross breds. I'm not going to get into other animals or people since this is a horse forum. BTW, I applaud the Jacksons for being great owners, they are wonderful and kind and I'm hoping and praying that Barbaro will pull through, absolutely and also have a great quality of life. I also applaud New Bolton and Dean Richardson and all of the staff, they're the best.

Susan, I have a lot of respect for you and your compassion is inspiring but I am slightly offended by this post. This BB has moved mountains to save many horses, so many have opened their hearts, farms and wallets.

What a shame to count how many views this thread has when the original thread to help had thousands. :(

equinelaundry
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:12 AM
I am referring to individuals who could help and while they may cry over Barbaro they may not have ever given a dime to help a horse in need.

That is none of our business.

[QUOTE]I have no clue who did what to help a horse but what I do see is rescues begging for help and I don't think they should be in that position.

I agree.:yes: We are ALL aware of that.

Kristie (who is on the racing forum because of Barbaro.)

caffeinated
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:23 AM
Well isn't that what the Barbaro fund was for to begin with? Getting money to NB so they could help more horses?

Also it's tough to hear that you're having trouble getting care for those horses, but many here do quite a lot for lesser known TBs, as well as horses of all breeds, to get them sound and get them care.

I know "we're" (that bad "other board") gearing up for another charity auction for CANTER midatlantic to do just that- care for OTTBs that CANTER takes on who need to get off the track ASAP (some sound, some not) and also, in sad instances, pay for euthanization of those that just can't be helped.

I think the vast majority of people riveted to the Barbaro case are also quite likely to be doing other things to help other horses too. The whole "let's see if this thread gets as many views" thing sounds sort of bitter, but I'm not sure there's cause to be.

This board in particular has always amazed me- people will pull together over horses that no one's ever heard of before, getting them rescued, getting them rides, in some cases finding stolen horses and getting them home.

I think that in your heart what you want to do is draw attention to the other horses who need help- I think the best way to do it is not through posting here but by engaging people outside of the horse community who know NOTHING about these other situations. Several non-horse people at work have made donations to horse rescues because I talked with them about it during conversations about Barbaro- how awesome is that?

I think he's doing quite a lot to advance the cause of all OTTBs, even if it seems we're all obsessed by this one "star"

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:33 AM
[quote=equinelaundry][quote=Susan P] I am referring to individuals who could help and while they may cry over Barbaro they may not have ever given a dime to help a horse in need.

That is none of our business.

They've made it our business when they publicly post, they are sharing their opinions here.

I think we all care about horses, with very few exceptions perhaps. But I'm trying to point out something, so if I come across in a way that some find offensive I have to tell you that it's troubling to hear people say how sad they are over Barbaro when I see how easy it is to save the others and yet a blind eye is turned to them. I am not, can not say that those who are sad over Barbaro are not sincere and not helping to save other horses, they may very well be, but there is currently many horses who need help, NOW and it is a lot simpler to help save thousands of horses with far less money. No need to send Barbaro gifts, he's going to get everything he needs because he has caring owners who can and do provide everything.

Aren't you also hurt knowing that there are so many horses in need? I think you are.

Local organizations would love the help. Do a bake sale and hand out information, anyone can do that.

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:44 AM
I talk to everyone, horsey or not and tell them about horses in need. I got the local newspaper to write a story about them, it just came out yesterday. I bought 30 copies to hand out to people so they would be encouraged to help. It has information on how to help. I went to businesses to ask for help, I'm doing everything I can. I'm not just asking for help for the two that were at my farm, or even the rescue that helped them but that people would be aware of the need for horses, OTTBs and all. I help with dog rescue, took in feral cats that needed a home, get animals spayed and neutered, I'm trying not just talking. But I can only do so much, not nearly as much as rescue organizations do though, if I could do more I would. If you think of something else I can do to help let me know.

By the way, I've been offering my horses to lease for free after paying people to train them.

Well isn't that what the Barbaro fund was for to begin with? Getting money to NB so they could help more horses?

Also it's tough to hear that you're having trouble getting care for those horses, but many here do quite a lot for lesser known TBs, as well as horses of all breeds, to get them sound and get them care.

I know "we're" (that bad "other board") gearing up for another charity auction for CANTER midatlantic to do just that- care for OTTBs that CANTER takes on who need to get off the track ASAP (some sound, some not) and also, in sad instances, pay for euthanization of those that just can't be helped.

I think the vast majority of people riveted to the Barbaro case are also quite likely to be doing other things to help other horses too. The whole "let's see if this thread gets as many views" thing sounds sort of bitter, but I'm not sure there's cause to be.

This board in particular has always amazed me- people will pull together over horses that no one's ever heard of before, getting them rescued, getting them rides, in some cases finding stolen horses and getting them home.

I think that in your heart what you want to do is draw attention to the other horses who need help- I think the best way to do it is not through posting here but by engaging people outside of the horse community who know NOTHING about these other situations. Several non-horse people at work have made donations to horse rescues because I talked with them about it during conversations about Barbaro- how awesome is that?

I think he's doing quite a lot to advance the cause of all OTTBs, even if it seems we're all obsessed by this one "star"

The Barbaro Fund seems to be to raise money for New Bolton Center, but the rescues need it, they can save healthy horses. I understand New Bolton needs a fund too, they do get lots of endowments already.

equinelaundry
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:57 AM
Susan, you need a hug so here ya go....(((((HUG)))). I know the frustration you are feeling.:yes: I feel it every day. EVERYONE who is involved with rescue feels the frustration and feels the sorrow of not having enough money to save them all.:(

We cannot dictate what people do with their money, we just can't. :no: If people want to send flowers rather than give to a rescue then it is their choice. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it and we can't fault people who we think [/I]should[/I] be doing something but aren't. If guilt worked then there would be no suffering for humans or animals. Is it hard to digest this every day? Yep, in fact, it can gag ya and leave a sick feeling in the stomach but you press on.

I have lots of friends who have "money" and what they do with it is their own business. They are well aware of my work and if they want my opinion on how to spend it I'd surely give it to them but they don't.

You bet I am hurting over so many horses in need.:cry: I get up every day and try to change it. A quick check of my past posts would confirm that.;)
Doing nothing is not an option for me.

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 12:29 PM
We are on the exact same page EL, hug you back ((((HUG)))). In no way do I disagree. I do want to raise attention to the contrast and perhaps if only one person is aware this is a time to do it. When someone in your family is suffering people become more sensitive and call me an opportunist but if I have a problem that gets attention, I can say, please look at others with this problem, they need help too. Sometimes people need a little poke to get them to see this. > :p < POKE, POKE!!!

Susan, you need a hug so here ya go....(((((HUG)))). I know the frustration you are feeling.:yes: I feel it every day. EVERYONE who is involved with rescue feels the frustration and feels the sorrow of not having enough money to save them all.:(

We cannot dictate what people do with their money, we just can't. :no: If people want to send flowers rather than give to a rescue then it is their choice. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it and we can't fault people who we think [/i]should[/i] be doing something but aren't. If guilt worked then there would be no suffering for humans or animals. Is it hard to digest this every day? Yep, in fact, it can gag ya and leave a sick feeling in the stomach but you press on.

I have lots of friends who have "money" and what they do with it is their own business. They are well aware of my work and if they want my opinion on how to spend it I'd surely give it to them but they don't.

You bet I am hurting over so many horses in need.:cry: I get up every day and try to change it. A quick check of my past posts would confirm that.;)
Doing nothing is not an option for me.

witherbee
Jul. 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
I think the problem is that you are "preaching to the choir" here - most of us on this board DO give to rescues or have rescued a horse or horses too... I think it's great to bring attention to the disparity between the media frenzy over Barbaro and the quiet suffering of many horses (and recuses!), but I think most people on this board are aware of that and already give... Anyway, we just need to keep soldiering on and try to educate where we can. i DO thing that great strides are being made to bring attention to the plight of racing TBs and to urge greater responsibility and support withing the racing community as well as from outside interests. As an owner, I know that I've always followed and cared for my horses and have a full plate as far as donating and caring for my horses...

moonriverfarm
Jul. 14, 2006, 01:25 PM
I agree that sometimes people jump on the bandwagon when it involved someone or something newsworty not thinking there are lesser known situations which are as or more needy. It's up to us as horsewomen and men to make the public aware of the plight of other horses who are not fortunate enough to be at big vet hospitals with owners who have plenty of funds. That does not in any way infer that the support to NB is not a great thing, and thank God Barbaro's owners can afford to try everything to save him AND that the team of doctors is so qualified and caring.
I do what I can for unwanted OTTBs by purchasing and reschooling them for new careers. I've kept three and who knows, any I buy might end up with me for life! I'm not wealthy, and don't send donations often, but I do my part in the ways I can. I've also offered on this board to take horses from kill sales (like New Holland) if we can find a way to get them here. I can adopt, but am too far away to pick up.
That said, I hope SusanP can get some help on the vet bills for Nate and Kelly. She was so instrumental in saving their lives and my hat's off to her for her unselfishness.

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 02:10 PM
I wish I could agree with you, though I believe the members of this BB are overwhelmingly horse lovers, too often their view is myopic. I'm trying to broaden their vision to see the need outside of their own. A lady said, "I have my own vet bills." A donation jar right in front of her and she could have dropped in $1 and said nothing but instead she pointed out how selfish she was. Doesn't she think we all have vet bills? I owe NB money now and will pay them but in the mean time I squeeze out what help I can for other horses, I am going to pay them but they can wait another week. I have been suddenly besieged in bills but am swimming out of them soon. I appreciate the patience they've shown and I haven't forgotten them. I don't ask for help for me, I ask it for horses that have no one that loves them or takes responsibility for them and are now taken in by rescues.

Who is a rescue, shouldn't it be us? :yes: A few people can't do it without help, we need to get more people on board. Not everyone on this BB contributes or is even aware of the need. It always shocks me when people are selfish but just because you love horses and the sport of horses doesn't mean you will help or are aware of the need in the first place. The awareness campaign IS what is making the biggest difference to help horses, let's not stop that. $1,000 mint juleps got in the news big time and they sold every one. Now we can wait for the next "cause du jour".

Wait, this sounds like I think the people in this BB are selfish, sorry, not the case at all, don't mean that, please don't read this into that. But I mean to say there is a need for awareness but there are SOME people who don't realize the need while yet there are others who don't think they need to leave their own backyard and reach out to others. I hope that sounds better, sorry.

I think the problem is that you are "preaching to the choir" here - most of us on this board DO give to rescues or have rescued a horse or horses too... I think it's great to bring attention to the disparity between the media frenzy over Barbaro and the quiet suffering of many horses (and recuses!), but I think most people on this board are aware of that and already give... Anyway, we just need to keep soldiering on and try to educate where we can. i DO thing that great strides are being made to bring attention to the plight of racing TBs and to urge greater responsibility and support withing the racing community as well as from outside interests. As an owner, I know that I've always followed and cared for my horses and have a full plate as far as donating and caring for my horses...

Spoilsport
Jul. 14, 2006, 02:41 PM
Susan - I do feel your frustration and want to help, but please remember that just because people do not give to YOUR organization doesn't mean they are not doing their share. At my small barn, there are three of us who have "rescued" OTTB's and spent thousands of of our dollars that we could barely afford to rehabilitate them. One woman has three rehabs. Maybe if you met her and she didn't you give you money you would assume she didn't want to help, but she is doing more than many of the rescues and has never asked for help or gotten any credit.

I also think the money going to the Barbaro Fund helps all horses, both in advancing research and in allowing NBC to be very flexible in the way they bill people.

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
I need to correct you, I don't have an organization, I help any individual or organization that I think is doing a great job and if they need my help provided I am able.

Again, please remember that I do not have nor am I a member of any organization, I am just an individual, speaking only for my opinion, not for any organiztion.

I needed to clarify that so as not to implicate any group or organization in my comments, it's all on me what I've said. If you don't agree, please don't blame anyone else. I hope that's understood. The only people I don't mind offending is selfish people, not people who help or do what they can. I don't limit that to horses or animals. I just think that all humans are morally obligated to be their brother's keeper when their brother is in need or suffering, not because they are too lazy to help themselves. Remember this is a forum and I'm expressing MY opinion, I understand others don't and won't agree with me. I may not phrase things correctly so I'm hoping to be understood, so if I say it twice it's because I want to be understood accurately, without hearing my voice and watching me, I may come across in a way I do not intend as I've seen reactions to my comments before that were misunderstood.

Susan - I do feel your frustration and want to help, but please remember that just because people do not give to YOUR organization doesn't mean they are not doing their share. At my small barn, there are three of us who have "rescued" OTTB's and spent thousands of of our dollars that we could barely afford to rehabilitate them. One woman has three rehabs. Maybe if you met her and she didn't you give you money you would assume she didn't want to help, but she is doing more than many of the rescues and has never asked for help or gotten any credit.

I also think the money going to the Barbaro Fund helps all horses, both in advancing research and in allowing NBC to be very flexible in the way they bill people.

Frog
Jul. 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
There are too many horses that need to be rescued! Of course people care more about Barbaro- he won the Kentucky Derby, he didn't finish up the field in a low-level claiming race. It is enough to ask of horse owners to take care of their own. Many, many kind people on this message board have taken on rescue horses.
I think more of the rescue horses should be euthanized. It breaks my heart to read stories about starving three-legged horses that were "rescued" and worked on for months, and still euthanized. Or, that now need a home where they cannot be ridden, need bute twice daily, special feed, and expensive shoes. Save them from slaughter- put them down.
Not to mention none of these horses are trained- they simply aren't marketable. That does not mean they are useless, but adoption fees are outrageous, and often contracts prevent you from doing things with your horse (like selling it), that quite frankly would put me off from "adopting" a "rescue" horse.
The Barbaro Fund will be used for equine medicine- letting doctors learn more, and maybe eventually making procedures easier, and cheaper. Horses will benefit from this- the money will be used well, especially since it is high-profile. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to give money to the Barbaro Fund, and Barbaro's face is a good selling point for a good cause, and people will know they aren't getting ripped off by a do-gooder that rescued too many and is using the money to feed a horse that should probably be put down, when it could go to euthanizing 10 that need it.

Laurierace
Jul. 14, 2006, 03:37 PM
Donations can be made directly to New Bolton center on Lost and Found's behalf. You would need to contact the bookkeeper and give them a credit card number and ask that it be applied to our balance. I can get the contact number if anyone needs it.

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 05:06 PM
610.925.6440 I believe this is the billing office.

Clients service/referral information
When an owner or referring veterinarian discusses a possible admission to the hospital, an estimate of costs can be provided upon request. Questions regarding a bill should be made to the billing office
Phone: 610.925.6440
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/widener/appointments/

The George D. Widener Veterinary Hospital in Kennett Square
Appointments: 610.444.5800

I believe this is the general number. I should know it by heart.

summerhorse
Jul. 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
There are too many horses that need to be rescued! Of course people care more about Barbaro- he won the Kentucky Derby, he didn't finish up the field in a low-level claiming race. It is enough to ask of horse owners to take care of their own. Many, many kind people on this message board have taken on rescue horses.
I think more of the rescue horses should be euthanized. It breaks my heart to read stories about starving three-legged horses that were "rescued" and worked on for months, and still euthanized. Or, that now need a home where they cannot be ridden, need bute twice daily, special feed, and expensive shoes. Save them from slaughter- put them down.
Not to mention none of these horses are trained- they simply aren't marketable. That does not mean they are useless, but adoption fees are outrageous, and often contracts prevent you from doing things with your horse (like selling it), that quite frankly would put me off from "adopting" a "rescue" horse.
The Barbaro Fund will be used for equine medicine- letting doctors learn more, and maybe eventually making procedures easier, and cheaper. Horses will benefit from this- the money will be used well, especially since it is high-profile. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to give money to the Barbaro Fund, and Barbaro's face is a good selling point for a good cause, and people will know they aren't getting ripped off by a do-gooder that rescued too many and is using the money to feed a horse that should probably be put down, when it could go to euthanizing 10 that need it.

I do see a lot of horses that a lot of money gets spent on and I have to think that money would be better used giving that horse a kind end and buying up more salvageable horses from the kill pens. BUT they are their horses and their money and if you don't agree with them just don't donate. I prefer to donate to people who do go right in the trenches and get those horses out of danger but I donate to others too. I do wish they would say Barbaro thanks everyone and wishes that instead of gifts and flowers people donate to a horse rescue of their choice in his name or something like that. But of course the staff eats most of the goodies, a little reward for their diligence in caring for Barbaro.

imissvixen
Jul. 14, 2006, 06:13 PM
SusanP, I see your point. I think though that the general public that grieves over Barbaro doesn't realize that there are many other horses that are in less fortunate financial circumstances than he is. I too have an OTTB that I took in last year and am sorry that there are so many more that I can't take care of.

I often think about how to get the word out on these horses in an uplifiting way to garner financial support for them, I have thought about a website and a book of photos or an adopt a racehorse program or something similar. Maybe all we people of COTH with rescued racehorses should get our stories together and do that book or website. I thought we could call it "Throwaway Horses" which is the title of an article I started writing about my mare, the former Watrals Abiskipper, now Abi Normal or Absolutely Fabulous, take your pick, who has become the prettiest absolutely sound pasture ornament you could possibly want.

I think it would be a terrific project and I would donate server space.

sidepasser
Jul. 14, 2006, 06:35 PM
I give to the rescues I do each year, I have done one horse a year for the past 20 years (vet/farrier/training/etc.) out of my own pocket, then found the horse a home with what I "hope" will be a great owner. Most I think still have those rescues, but I don't give to organizations as I spend every penny I have on the ones that I have.

I never ask for money from anyone, I do this out of my own pocket. I think that it is ok for the press to harp on Barbara (for lack of a better term - I am tired right now) as long as we can use that to help other horses.

Every first Sat. there is a local sale barn near me that has a sale...I don't go over there but maybe twice a year, just because I know I can't save all those horses. Frankly some don't need to be saved, they need to be put down, but won't be until the slaughter house. I do pick one from there each year...last years was the Arab gelding who turned out to be a former showhorse, he was an EZ horse but had I not went, he was destined for the slaughter house as he was in with the "loose" horses that were already tagged to go...poor little scared to death thing. But lots of horses end up in these circumstances every day and I know I can't save them all, I can't even begin to think where I would put all those horses if I did have the money..maybe a huge preserve somewhere? I just do what I can just like the many others here on this board.

I haven't been this year..yet..because a OTTB TB gelding came my way and I spent four months turning him around and making him look a million and getting him a home. Guess I just do what I can do in my little corner of the world and hope that others do their little bit in their corner and maybe we can solve a lot more horse problems.

Cothers do a lot for horses, they donate money, supplies, trailers, transport, time, etc. Maybe we should be reaching out to others that aren't "horse" folks..but then again, maybe those that aren't horse folks are already supporting the dog/cat/rat/bat/whale/dolphin/zoo rescues?

I don't feel bad that Barbaro is getting a lot of attention - it is the way of things and people now feel that he's a fighter with long odds and Americans like that...goes with that underdog thing...we tend to support the small/weak/down on their luck/against all odds types no matter if it is a horse or a person..it's just the way we are.

Now my two ottbs are looking for dinner..and the arab mare would look but she's too short to see over the wall...lol..

so off to shovel food to them and flyspray and all that good stuff. Perhaps a coth sponsored project might be the answer to getting a few dollars/tack items/etc. to those organizations that need them?

Sidepasser

charlieo
Jul. 14, 2006, 07:23 PM
I like the "Throwaway Horses" project idea. I have 3 of them, with vastly different stories. I would love folks to know about Goldie -- whose owner cared enough to find him a home after 67 races and six years on the track, and who visits regularly; and about Cover -- who was rescued by Rachael in WVA after he chipped and was sent to auction, and who is just now sound and ready to start being educated as a pleasure horse; and 3 yr old Buddy -- so terrorized by by his NH experience after he left the track that he is just beginning to trust, and to love. They return love, you know. These three do. If more people could see them as individuals they would have to be touched. Isn't that what we all see with Barbaro -- an individual? We have to make the others, the faceless real to folks out there.

mazu
Jul. 14, 2006, 07:33 PM
I wish I could agree with you, though I believe the members of this BB are overwhelmingly horse lovers, too often their view is myopic. I'm trying to broaden their vision to see the need outside of their own. A lady said, "I have my own vet bills." A donation jar right in front of her and she could have dropped in $1 and said nothing but instead she pointed out how selfish she was. Doesn't she think we all have vet bills? I owe NB money now and will pay them but in the mean time I squeeze out what help I can for other horses, I am going to pay them but they can wait another week.

That someone would want to pay existing vet bills for their own animals before donating to some stranger isn't being selfish or myopic. In my world that's called "responsibility."

I'll never understand the way some rescuers' minds work. Breeding more mutts, foaling them out in foot-deep mud, not paying the vet because "they can wait." Huh?

Carol Ames
Jul. 14, 2006, 08:11 PM
Who, here knows about trust funds? Could we possibly set up a Barbaro trust for the "not so famous"" horses who might be saved?Isn't there a Bolshoi trust at the Univ. of GA, dealing with colic?

Susan P
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:53 PM
The lady I'm referring too had to put plenty of money into her gas tank to get her to the park to ride, I assure you she could afford a dollar, tell me who can't? Besides, no one was asking her to donate, she was complaining because she had to look at the donation jar.

I don't understand who can afford to keep a horse and not have an extra dollar and then have a need to be openly critical of someone trying to help.

There are plenty of ways to help, whether it's money or passing on information, baking cookies, whatever, but to just criticize is another story. No one asked her for her opinion or her money, she offered her opinion and kept her money. She should have kept both to herself.

That someone would want to pay existing vet bills for their own animals before donating to some stranger isn't being selfish or myopic. In my world that's called "responsibility."

I'll never understand the way some rescuers' minds work. Breeding more mutts, foaling them out in foot-deep mud, not paying the vet because "they can wait." Huh? What??? :confused:

Equilibrium
Jul. 15, 2006, 02:36 AM
Susan P,
I commend you for bringing this topic up and I completely agree. Also I want to add a few of my own comments.
1) I have a 2,000euro vet bill that has just gotten down to that number. I had a rough year with a very sick broodmare, emergencey surgery of my GSD, and a foal who had a head injury, but luckily, is fine now. To be honest I don't have extra money as I still need to take care of my own bill and keep all my horses right with feed, bedding, ect. But what I do do is donate some of my racing memorbilia that I collected over the year's if there is a charity auction. I just recently gave a 1988 Blood Horse signed by Chris Antley to charity.
2) In my herd so to speak is Ask The Builder, AKA Frank. I bought Frank for 500 euro a couple of years ago because if I walked away that day I knew where he was going. He had a huge proud fleshy wound on the back of his knee and multiple chips in his near hock. My vet said he will never be sound so you have some tough options. I took the view of letting Frank decide if he wanted to stay around. He is still with me and I'm riding him every day, sound as you like. He went from scared of all the other horses to Mr. Arrogant in the 2 years with me. He's 11 and going on his second childhood so I just try and keep him with horses he can't annoy. Every day I'm glad I have him.
3) I am really sick and tired of people thinking a small breeder can't breed responsibly. I have 2 mares I took a gamble on and one has a pedigree which went through the roof after I paid 1500euro for her. My mares are treated like queens as well as the foals. Mine have blankets in the winter and always have their manes pulled and look fabulous. I don't treat mine as vessels only. I believe in if you want a good foal, treat the mare right.
4) Completely agree with people and the celebrity thing. I posted on a board once about a jockey who was making a comeback after his battle with alcohol and drugs. Everyone thought he was some kind of hero. Well boo hoo. I knew the guy in his early days when he use to kick horses in the stomach after a bad race, and who had not a nice word to say to anyone before his drinking problems. So I wrote about how others battle these addictions every day and never have support. They get over it on their own with their own will power and hopefully someone to say well done. All these people were just so amazed about this one guy. So I wrote all these things down and boy did I get slammed. I'm afraid that's the way it is.

By the way I don't think it's in bad taste that you have brought it up. I too am hoping Barbaro makes a recovery. I'm sorry things have gotten so bad, but it does indeed happen to quite a few horses. And yes winning the KY Derby is so special, but I know that he has the best of everything at the moment and if he is to get through it the people of NBC will get him there. My little filly with the head injury got hurt the morning after the Preakness and I was thinking about Barbaro as my near comatose filly was laying her head on my legs for 4 hours until she could get up. But to be honest, she was the only thing that mattered to me.

All of us on this board love and adore horses and go out of our way to make their world better. If I had a spare cash fund I would donate more, but I don't and do the best I can with all animals in need. At Christmas one year, my husband and I decided to donate money to diffrent animal charities in each person's name that was on our gift list. Well you would have thought we gave them coal instead and these are people with dogs, cats, and horses.
This past Christmas we had to get presents again but nothing for us as it went to the animals in need.
Terri

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
I think you exemplify compassion, love put to action, not just words. I see people that hop on the bandwagon of the cause du jour and of course I don't know which of those people really care but you have to wonder where the crowd goes when the hoopla dies down. Where are the people next year? I'd say their on to the next headliner for the most part. I know I'll be slammed for that statement but honestly you know it's true. I know we are all busy living our own lives. It sounds like despite your problems you make sacrifices to help. I would never expect anyone to take from their own family's NEEDS but there is usually some way everyone can help. Herr's Foods donated some potato chips for Nate and Kelly, for the vet bills. I tried to get donations at a Pony Club event, they raised almost $100, so I took some chips to my husbands business and hope to raise money where there is some walk in customers, hopefully people that want chips, hopefully honest people so the chips aren't stolen. The bottom line is I will need to come up with new ideas so we can finish paying for these vet bills, they have hardly been touched. Why do I feel responsible? I don't know, because I boarded the horses for free at my farm I guess and I love them. But if I knew of a specific situation and the horses were elsewhere I would do the same. I also transported a dog to a safe home and when she turned up missing I went out on foot and searched for her and passed out flyers, talked to neighbors. I didn't have to do that, she wasn't my responsibility and I didn't really have the time or extra money for gas. I even gave the girl $20 to help with the offered reward and told her if she doesn't need it to put it toward her rescue effort. It was my last $20.

I don't suggest that people do the same thing I do. There are many people who do and give so much more. I suggest that people make an effort, get involved in helping someone, some animal, some way even if it's uncomfortable. I am NOT pointing fingers because how would I know who does what. I am merely pointing out that if everyone did something we wouldn't have a problem in this country. Everyone has a talent, so let's use it for good and to give as well as for ourselves and there's nothing wrong with helping yourself, that's #1 but let's not forget others in need.

I am not referring to COTHers, most of which have huge and generous hearts, I've seen that. I do say, if the shoe fits...;)

Susan P,
I commend you for bringing this topic up and I completely agree. Also I want to add a few of my own comments.
1) I have a 2,000euro vet bill that has just gotten down to that number. I had a rough year with a very sick broodmare, emergencey surgery of my GSD, and a foal who had a head injury, but luckily, is fine now. To be honest I don't have extra money as I still need to take care of my own bill and keep all my horses right with feed, bedding, ect. But what I do do is donate some of my racing memorbilia that I collected over the year's if there is a charity auction. I just recently gave a 1988 Blood Horse signed by Chris Antley to charity.
2) In my herd so to speak is Ask The Builder, AKA Frank. I bought Frank for 500 euro a couple of years ago because if I walked away that day I knew where he was going. He had a huge proud fleshy wound on the back of his knee and multiple chips in his near hock. My vet said he will never be sound so you have some tough options. I took the view of letting Frank decide if he wanted to stay around. He is still with me and I'm riding him every day, sound as you like. He went from scared of all the other horses to Mr. Arrogant in the 2 years with me. He's 11 and going on his second childhood so I just try and keep him with horses he can't annoy. Every day I'm glad I have him.
3) I am really sick and tired of people thinking a small breeder can't breed responsibly. I have 2 mares I took a gamble on and one has a pedigree which went through the roof after I paid 1500euro for her. My mares are treated like queens as well as the foals. Mine have blankets in the winter and always have their manes pulled and look fabulous. I don't treat mine as vessels only. I believe in if you want a good foal, treat the mare right.
4) Completely agree with people and the celebrity thing. I posted on a board once about a jockey who was making a comeback after his battle with alcohol and drugs. Everyone thought he was some kind of hero. Well boo hoo. I knew the guy in his early days when he use to kick horses in the stomach after a bad race, and who had not a nice word to say to anyone before his drinking problems. So I wrote about how others battle these addictions every day and never have support. They get over it on their own with their own will power and hopefully someone to say well done. All these people were just so amazed about this one guy. So I wrote all these things down and boy did I get slammed. I'm afraid that's the way it is.

By the way I don't think it's in bad taste that you have brought it up. I too am hoping Barbaro makes a recovery. I'm sorry things have gotten so bad, but it does indeed happen to quite a few horses. And yes winning the KY Derby is so special, but I know that he has the best of everything at the moment and if he is to get through it the people of NBC will get him there. My little filly with the head injury got hurt the morning after the Preakness and I was thinking about Barbaro as my near comatose filly was laying her head on my legs for 4 hours until she could get up. But to be honest, she was the only thing that mattered to me.

All of us on this board love and adore horses and go out of our way to make their world better. If I had a spare cash fund I would donate more, but I don't and do the best I can with all animals in need. At Christmas one year, my husband and I decided to donate money to diffrent animal charities in each person's name that was on our gift list. Well you would have thought we gave them coal instead and these are people with dogs, cats, and horses.
This past Christmas we had to get presents again but nothing for us as it went to the animals in need.
Terri

Pronzini
Jul. 15, 2006, 10:40 AM
I guess my problem with the original post is the use of the word "most" and the assumptions behind it. I'm also stunned that 30 some odd posts and no one else has picked that up and questioned it. This is not a not really a racing board like Pedigreequery--I get that--but wow...

I'm a small TB breeder (for the racetrack). I'm friends with much larger breeders and know a lot of people from the track. Typically, racehorse people find homes for their horses after retirement and not all of them rely on Canter (which is a wonderful organization).

I haven't kept track of it but I may know about 25 or 30 horses retired in the last 5 years and where they went. Some went to little girls, some went to families, some went to dressage riders, one in particular I know was sold to a client of a former Olympian and is a promising eventing horse. I have known of a couple where the owner paid for a surgery to remove chips before retiring the horse essentially for free--because it was the right thing to do. Yesterday, a friend of mine who manages a large training and layup facility told me about a horse who bowed while in training there. The owner is now trying to find a home for the horse and the other day the horse started to colic. His emergency care form says "Use any means necessary to save the animal." but, of course, as my friend pointed out that form was filled out when the horse was still worth something as a racer. So he called the trainer to confirm and the response was heartwarming "Do what's right for the horse." so he went to the hospital. We are keeping our fingers crossed that there is no impaction. I've visited with him and he seems like he will make someone a wonderful pet.

We're all the products of our experiences and I guess if you work heavily with rescues and only with rescues, you can start to think the world is a killpen. Maybe I've just been sheltered because I try to associate with high quality horsemen and part of what we do is be responsible. I'm not saying the other side doesn't exist, but I guess I'm asking the OP to think for a minute before you use the word "most". You're painting with an awfully broad brush and smearing good people in the process.

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Pronzini, shall I change that word to many? Perhaps that was a poor choice of words, you are right. Unfortunately not all the horses that are intended to go to good homes end up there either. Sometimes owners or trainers believe that, because they were told that and trusted the person taking the horse.

We are both at opposite ends of this issue, I would like to be fair in what I say. My neighbors also race and they seem to always watch out for their horses the best they can and would never intentionally send them to a bad place. However I know that recently one nice young filly is believed to have ended up at the slaughterhouse. This was a true tragedy. There was an attempt to raise money to buy her but it fell short of what the dealer wanted. :cry: How did this happen? It seems to happen too frequently. So you might criticize the unfairness of my choice of words but in my opinion, it's a small thing. Racehorses are still ending up in very bad situations, many are slaughtered still and the industry is very well aware of this.

magnolia73
Jul. 15, 2006, 01:16 PM
I think that the people sending items to Barbaro are not even aware of what happens to other TB's. They probably have no clue about the scope of the problem. I think there is an assumption that horses either are put down as a result of injuries or they recover somewhere. the average person does not understand that many go to slaughter for injuries from which they could recover.

for those of us who are aware, it looks like a huge problem. And we have many problems in our society that require money and effort. Shit, we have people who can't afford their own medicine, much less worry about a dog, cat or horse's medicine. I do wish we could reroute the money that funds societies wars and killing into organizations that help needy people and animals..... that WOULD start to make a dent in the problem.

And thank you for helping those animals. I appreciate people who can give their time and energy to helping animals.

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
I think that the people sending items to Barbaro are not even aware of what happens to other TB's. They probably have no clue about the scope of the problem. I think there is an assumption that horses either are put down as a result of injuries or they recover somewhere. the average person does not understand that many go to slaughter for injuries from which they could recover.

This is what I'm thinking too. Even our own horse community doesn't realize what's happening and I know that most Americans don't know. I talk to people about it all the time and they are usually shocked.

Pronzini
Jul. 15, 2006, 02:52 PM
Pronzini, shall I change that word to many? Perhaps that was a poor choice of words, you are right. Unfortunately not all the horses that are intended to go to good homes end up there either. Sometimes owners or trainers believe that, because they were told that and trusted the person taking the horse.

How is that much different than any horse that gets sold or retired from any discipline? Does everyone on this board know where all of the horses are that they have ever sold? Is it your position that every owner on this board who has ever sold a horse is responsible for that horse two owners down the line?

How many jumpers are in the killpen?

No one knows.

How many former reiners are slaughtered?

No one knows

How many former show ponies, dressage horses, and plain ol' pets are canned?

I don't know, do you?

But TBs have tattoos and they can be traced. So despite the fact that the TB industry has been the most progressive about this issue, it also is tarred with more posts like yours insinuating that they do the worst job even if the person who ultimately sold the horse to slaughter is from a non racing background and is 5 years removed from the track.

We are both at opposite ends of this issue, I would like to be fair in what I say. My neighbors also race and they seem to always watch out for their horses the best they can and would never intentionally send them to a bad place. However I know that recently one nice young filly is believed to have ended up at the slaughterhouse. This was a true tragedy. There was an attempt to raise money to buy her but it fell short of what the dealer wanted. :cry: How did this happen? It seems to happen too frequently. So you might criticize the unfairness of my choice of words but in my opinion, it's a small thing. Racehorses are still ending up in very bad situations, many are slaughtered still and the industry is very well aware of this.

I think you are making assumptions and being unnecessarily divisive. I haven't stated where I am on the slaughter issue. I just asked for some balance and fairness in your original post. Semantics matter.

Do you agree BTW that the TB industry has been progressive on this issue? Have you seen similar strides by the AQHA, USEF, USDF etc etc

sidepasser
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
Pronzini - you are correct in your analysis that TBs can be traced through the tattoo...

but on the other hand...the sale barn I go to a couple of times a year has predominately QHs, TWHs, Paints, (espe. breeding stock paints with maybe just a belly spot, APPs, and the RARE TB in there and maybe an arab every once in while (I got the one last year that I saw)..

No one tracks those horses I don't think - they have generally no tattoos. I think TBs get hit so heavily with the publicity because their sport is a public type sport (betting/wagering/breeding/racing..all seen by the public and made a big fuss over because it is a "big" business.

I can say that Honor's former owner during his race days keeps in contact with me...and I do what I can to make sure Honor is kept sound, healthy and sane. I may not be able to keep Honor forever but if I place him I will let the owner know where and I will ask that the new owner send me pics occasionally. He will be further trained to have a new career and I have invested heavily in his training up to this point. I think racehorse owners and breeders are just like every other breed's, you have the "good" and the "not so good" and the downright ugly...

Not fair to just single out the racers...but look at the picture of all horses that end up at the slaughter pen...

JMHO

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 04:37 PM
I would address this issue if we were in the Off Course forum but we are in the Racing forum so I've kept it in the proper category. You are only sidetracking and you tell me I'm being devisive.

I didn't even mention here where I stood on the slaughter issue either, and I'm not even focusing on just horse slaughter.

You also don't state what position you are coming from, why you are so defensive about the racing industry.

Take note, this IS the racing forum so I'm not comparing racehorses to other disciplines. They can't defend themselves here. As far as I understand Quarter Horses are the most frequently slaughtered horses whatever their discipline.

How is that much different than any horse that gets sold or retired from any discipline? Does everyone on this board know where all of the horses are that they have ever sold? Is it your position that every owner on this board who has ever sold a horse is responsible for that horse two owners down the line?

How many jumpers are in the killpen?

No one knows.

How many former reiners are slaughtered?

No one knows

How many former show ponies, dressage horses, and plain ol' pets are canned?

I don't know, do you?

But TBs have tattoos and they can be traced. So despite the fact that the TB industry has been the most progressive about this issue, it also is tarred with more posts like yours insinuating that they do the worst job even if the person who ultimately sold the horse to slaughter is from a non racing background and is 5 years removed from the track.

I think you are making assumptions and being unnecessarily divisive. I haven't stated where I am on the slaughter issue. I just asked for some balance and fairness in your original post. Semantics matter.

Do you agree BTW that the TB industry has been progressive on this issue? Have you seen similar strides by the AQHA, USEF, USDF etc etc

Laurierace
Jul. 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
I too take issue with the wording "many not so lucky" but when it comes down to it in my opinion one is too many. I don't want to speak for Susan but I do believe she was just trying to keep this racing related since this is the racing forum. I don't feel as if it was an attack on the racing industry itself. If and when I do feel as if racing and therefore me since I am a race horse trainer is under attack I welcome the offended person to come into my barn and see how my horses are cared for. I would even go so far as to show them my vet bills and board bills at the farm so they can see that my horses don't have any pain deadening procedures or medications performed. They get very frequent farm breaks as well. I don't want to mention any of my horses by name, but I claimed a filly who had 17 starts. She had a real nice form with one win and lots of seconds and thirds. In three starts I earned as much money with her as she earned in the first 17. I didn't work magic on her, I took care of her. She galloped a grand total of two times in the last 30 days. Horses that are fit and racing sprints don't need to train a lot. Save it for the race.
Anyway, my point is racing can be a harsh sport. I love being an example of what I consider to be racing with a heart. And proving that you can have the horse's best interest in mind and still make money.

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 05:34 PM
You would be correct in saying that I am not attacking the sport or industry on the whole, though I think as in any sport there need to be adjustments when problems are discovered I don't believe that the whole sport should be thrown away. The nature of a horse is to run. How it's done is another story. I love horses, my Dad loved the horses and the track, I just posted elsewhere that he's the reason I grew up next to Delaware Park Racetrack.

So I will change the wording of the thread to express that correction because I agree.

I know that there is a right way and a wrong way to compete at any sport for man or beast. The problems are always with the individuals, some are honest and hardworking while others prefer shortcuts.

I too take issue with the wording "many not so lucky" but when it comes down to it in my opinion one is too many. I don't want to speak for Susan but I do believe she was just trying to keep this racing related since this is the racing forum. I don't feel as if it was an attack on the racing industry itself. If and when I do feel as if racing and therefore me since I am a race horse trainer is under attack I welcome the offended person to come into my barn and see how my horses are cared for. I would even go so far as to show them my vet bills and board bills at the farm so they can see that my horses don't have any pain deadening procedures or medications performed. They get very frequent farm breaks as well. I don't want to mention any of my horses by name, but I claimed a filly who had 17 starts. She had a real nice form with one win and lots of seconds and thirds. In three starts I earned as much money with her as she earned in the first 17. I didn't work magic on her, I took care of her. She galloped a grand total of two times in the last 30 days. Horses that are fit and racing sprints don't need to train a lot. Save it for the race.
Anyway, my point is racing can be a harsh sport. I love being an example of what I consider to be racing with a heart. And proving that you can have the horse's best interest in mind and still make money.

charlieo
Jul. 15, 2006, 05:43 PM
And when you have a horse you want to retire or one who doesn't want to race anymore, Laurie, you make sure it will go to someplace it will be loved and well cared for. If it breaks down and can't be saved, you would euthanize it. Guess we all hope that in a perfect world all trainers would be like you. If all of them were, there would be no need for this discussion.

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 05:44 PM
So true!

And when you have a horse you want to retire or one who doesn't want to race anymore, Laurie, you make sure it will go to someplace it will be loved and well cared for. If it breaks down and can't be saved, you would euthanize it. Guess we all hope that in a perfect world all trainers would be like you. If all of them were, there would be no need for this discussion.

ottb dressage
Jul. 15, 2006, 07:24 PM
i love the idea of a throwaways book and would be more than happy to contribute a story. cothers have done other books and videos on other equestrian subjects, and this would be a very meaningful contribution to a very important and overlooked equine subject.

Susan P
Jul. 15, 2006, 11:20 PM
You are so right, you could donate the proceeds to a TB fund. I found a new one. http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/index.html (http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/index.html) or Blue Horse Charities, John Hettinger's organization, or Thoroughbred Retirement Fund. All good.

I know Lost and Found www.lfhr.org (http://www.lfhr.org) has a good story, they have a rescue that won a horse show 3 days after being rescued.

i love the idea of a throwaways book and would be more than happy to contribute a story. cothers have done other books and videos on other equestrian subjects, and this would be a very meaningful contribution to a very important and overlooked equine subject.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 16, 2006, 01:10 AM
You are so right, you could donate the proceeds to a TB fund. I found a new one. [B]

And as was pointed out by myself and others just about the time that Barbaro was injured, Gretchen Jackson is [url="http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/board.html"]on the board of directors for TB Charities of America (http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/index.html), a very well known organization - much more so then others that many on these BBs speak of.

Susan P
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:43 AM
I spoke to Liz Harris then Ellen Moelis yesterday. Taska is going to send them the brooches she created, she's a talented artist and creates one of a kind jewelry. She's donating 4 of her brooches for Nate and Kelly, the rescued Thoroughbreds that were sick and are now at Lost and Found Horse Rescue www.lfhr.org (http://www.lfhr.org) and TCA will auction them for their benefit to help with the vet bills. However this auction won't take place till December. Donations can be designated for a specific purpose or organization. Lost and Found has recieved support from TCA before and has a friendly relationship with them. They sound like great people.

Next year if I could find someone local who would help manage a couple horses at a time at my farm I would loan out a pasture for that purpose. I would be happy to work with Lost and Found who I have already worked with (my comfort zone) and I'm familiar with their operation and mission.

Taska also created this beautiful web site http://www.mjarden.com/nk.html (http://www.mjarden.com/nk.html)

And as was pointed out by myself and others just about the time that Barbaro was injured, Gretchen Jackson is on the board of directors for TB Charities of America (http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/board.html), a very well known organization - much more so then others that many on these BBs speak of.

ottb dressage
Jul. 16, 2006, 04:39 PM
so how should we get our throwaways book started, any ideas and willing participants.

Susan P
Jul. 16, 2006, 05:41 PM
That's a great question. I understand that Chicken Soup books may be interested if they, as I understand are interested in Barbaro and know the owners. I would be willing to try to go see someone in Barbaro's camps once things settle down. I'm in the same area. I'd like to think they will settle on the positive side. :sigh:

I think first we have to decide if this is only OTTBs, or all race horses or any throw aways. Then we could contact rescues and tell them what we are doing, look for stories, individuals and begin a selection process of the stories the same way they did for Chicken Soup. I was involved with one of their stories in their current book for horse lovers so I can trace back to make contact if they are to be involved or helpful.

Now what kind of contents are we talking about, brief stories, photos? I would like that kind of book. Could we offer a certain number to each rescue organization to sell?

It should be something that crosses the line from horse lover to the general animal loving public to make the most money for the rescues. Something heartwarming, beautiful photos, touching photos, kids, competitions, all of it in photos and great victorious stories.

Now how restricted shall it be, races horses...all horses?

so how should we get our throwaways book started, any ideas and willing participants.

ottb dressage
Jul. 16, 2006, 07:35 PM
i guess we should contact imissvixen since the throwaways idea came from her post on page 2. but, i think short stories with photos is the way to go. i would like something that focuses specifically on ottbs, and it does narrow the focus for the general animal loving public. still, i think with all the publicity on barbaro, a book like this that focuses on racehorse rescue could be very timely. anyways, i'm more than happy to help out any way i can. you can pm me if you'd like.

Susan P
Jul. 16, 2006, 07:58 PM
To save time and since my PM box has 99 messages, must start to delete, how about an email. Barnmom45@aol.com or you can call me at
610 869-3629. I'm in PA and I see you're in NJ, that may be close enough that we could even meet sometime and have a planning session or two. I have a friend in Delaware, Taska, maybe she would like to get involved, she's an artist. We can do this. :yes: Actually, a friend of mine and I wanted to do this a few months ago, but this is the perfect timing. As long as all the proceeds go to save horses I don't care. I like TCA http://www.thoroughbredcharities.org/index.html how about you? I would designate my efforts through them to go to Lost and Found www.lfhr.org (http://www.lfhr.org) because I know they are a good group.

i guess we should contact imissvixen since the throwaways idea came from her post on page 2. but, i think short stories with photos is the way to go. i would like something that focuses specifically on ottbs, and it does narrow the focus for the general animal loving public. still, i think with all the publicity on barbaro, a book like this that focuses on racehorse rescue could be very timely. anyways, i'm more than happy to help out any way i can. you can pm me if you'd like.

17handtb
Jul. 16, 2006, 09:10 PM
I think it's an important point Susan P raises, and I'm glad it's being discussed so thoughtfully here.

As someone involved in TB rescue at a track that is about as far from Barbaro's level of competition as it gets, it's sometimes hard for me to remember that most people (as has been noted elsewhere in this thread) DON'T know that 99% of racehorses aren't automatically granted access to beautiful farms in the bluegrass to make babies and romp around for the rest of their days.

I love racing - always have - but it's a sport with such an incredible gap between the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows: the riches to the rags, and then some. And the general public really only sees the riches; that's not their fault - it's just the way it is. There's just not much of a media market for in-depth coverage of the $4K claiming races of the world. (a shame, because there are so many fantastic human interest stories happening at that level of racing, too, but the media is a very selective and highly impatient animal.)

I have been touched by the outpouring of interest in Barbaro's story. Maybe I've been a little of a Pollyanna in this regard, but I guess I've been hopeful that reading about Barbaro will encourage people to want to learn more about TB welfare in general...and perhaps, then, to make the decision to donate their money and their time to rescue groups.

Has anyone contacted New Bolton, Michael Matz, Edgar Prado, or the Jacksons to ask if they have a preferred TB (or general equine rescue) charity? I'm not suggesting putting them on the spot - just asking if they have a particular org. or orgs. they'd like to see supported in Barbaro's honor.

If they respond with the name(s) of their favorite horse charities, that could in turn lead to widespread press coverage with a whole new angle. Just a thought.

YoTambien
Jul. 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
Naming one particular charity can be a dangerous thing for someone to do. The charity so named will be thrilled, but supporters of other organizations may feel somewhat slighted.

What would be nice is if people would send in donations to Thoroughbred Charaities of American and DESIGNATE that the funds be disbursed only to Thoroughbred rescue, adoption and/or retirement organizations.

The pool of money that TCA has for these groups is not all that huge, and TCA does grant money to charities that are racing related but not horse related. It is my understanding that if someone sends in a donation that is designated for a particular purpose, TCA will honor that request.

If we can increase the pool of money available for TB groups, then hopefully the amounts for each group can be larger than they currently are.

17handtb
Jul. 16, 2006, 09:48 PM
Good point, YT, about not encouraging support of one rescue at the expense of others.

However, I do think it would be a HUGE boost to rescue overall to have Barbaro's connections (**with the important disclaimer: only IF they wish to, and feel comfortable doing so**) publicly deliver a message about TB rescue and retirement, rather than just relying upon a publicity campaign from rescues themselves.

As instant crazes like the "Rachel" haircut on "Friends" :lol: and the success of Oprah Winfrey's Book Club have demonstrated, one sentence of endorsement from someone well-known carries the weight of 1,000 eloquent messages from "nobodies." (no matter how knowledgeable and credible those "nobodies" may be.)

Susan P
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:11 PM
Not only are you right on the money but Gretchen Jackson is on the board of TCA. It was founded in Delaware by Ellen Moelis, hope I spelled that right and now the office is in KY. They do designate the funds to be disbursed. Thoroughbred charities are pretty well funded as far as horse charities go compared to other horse rescues. But if they do designate funds for TBs then that still frees up charities that care for all breeds anyway.

Personally, TBs have never been my horse of choice because they are a lot of horse for me to handle but there are some quiet enough for me. Some of my favorite horses have believe it or not been TBs anyway, don't know how that happened to be, two of my favorite TBs have been dark bay TBs. My friend's TB whom I adored was put down at 8 years old from navicular disease, I cried, I love this horse and spoiled him rotten, she toted my 2 year old son on him once and that horse would come for him and not me, and I brought him apples. Then when my younger son started riding he rode a similar looking horse but it could have been the same horse very aged and he acted like he was our horse, our own personal horse, wish he was. He died a few years ago. I loved him too and he was special to us, made my son champion in his camp show. So maybe I shouldn't say that TBs aren't my choice of horse after all. :sadsmile: They can be so sweet.

Naming one particular charity can be a dangerous thing for someone to do. The charity so named will be thrilled, but supporters of other organizations may feel somewhat slighted.

What would be nice is if people would send in donations to Thoroughbred Charaities of American and DESIGNATE that the funds be disbursed only to Thoroughbred rescue, adoption and/or retirement organizations.

The pool of money that TCA has for these groups is not all that huge, and TCA does grant money to charities that are racing related but not horse related. It is my understanding that if someone sends in a donation that is designated for a particular purpose, TCA will honor that request.

If we can increase the pool of money available for TB groups, then hopefully the amounts for each group can be larger than they currently are.

Susan P
Jul. 17, 2006, 08:16 PM
Perhaps the most fair way of dealing with the proceeds from the book is that each the organization that provides a story gets an equal percentage of the proceeds plus the publicity for their organization. :winkgrin:

Please ask your favorite organization to contact me and we'll put it together. If the story works for a book and they have some good photos we'll from there.

We are formulating a plan now.

Carol Ames
Jul. 18, 2006, 04:37 AM
Are hherethevranyphotos of Barbaro as a youngster, weanling, yearling?

ivy62
Jul. 18, 2006, 07:57 AM
I would like to add our story if a book is made. I have an OTTB that everyone would have said to euthanize. He is the kindest sweetest horse I've ever owned. I think OTTB's get a bad rap. People just do not understand them nor do they want to....
Our story is long but are making HUGE strides every day... ALL Tb rescues need help. Too bad there cannot be one fund to draw from. The general public has no idea what happens to these horses... If they did I think the anti slaughter laws would be a shoe in to be passed....

Louise
Jul. 18, 2006, 08:14 AM

As Yo Tambien stated, there is a fund that can grant monies to all different charities. It is a wonderful way to make sure that any money is equally distributed to the many legitimate thoroughbred rescue operations out there. And, believe me, all of them are in desperate need of more funding.

Susan P
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:45 AM
If we were to work through a general fund we could still designate the funds to go to the charities that provide us with the stories. If someone rescued their OTTB without a rescue they can designate the rescue but it would have to be through the main organization. There are some organization I won't work with, I am very opposed to horse slaughter so if an organization is supporting keeping it legal I won't be a part of that or help them. It seems counter productive to me. I don't necessarily expect this book to include promoting ending horse slaughter in itself though I wouldn't mind stating the fact that the horses are being slaughtered but not go into great detail. I'd like this to be the before and after book, show people uplifting stories but including the before. I think that will sell the book and help the rescues. We can do some telephone discussions, I have 3 way calling and if anyone else does we can pull off a group phone call.

As Yo Tambien stated, there is a fund that can grant monies to all different charities. It is a wonderful way to make sure that any money is equally distributed to the many legitimate thoroughbred rescue operations out there. And, believe me, all of them are in desperate need of more funding.

Susan P
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:57 PM
http://dailylocal.com/site/?brd=1671&pag=796&dept_id=576882&daysback=1&mode=0 (http://dailylocal.com/site/?brd=1671&pag=796&dept_id=576882&daysback=1&mode=0)

Take a look, this story about Nate and Kelly was the most read story in the paper that day! :D

Carol Ames
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:04 PM
Sorry, but I must bring up the z$ here ;; i DO KNOW PEOPLE WHO bought Horses off thetrackofhtrack,retrained themto jump, AND SOLDTHM ONTO GOOD good homes or ,at least to homes where people wanted the horses to show or just ride I am fairly cetain they they paid well under $$10k for them, how manyrace horse owners are wiling/ or able to sell for that?
There few people now who are are able to go ninto racing or any horse sport without expectaion or need to make a aprofit; the days of the Clinton budget prosperity are longgone:sadsmile: . And, all te tax cuts in the world are notgoing to put people inte income rtacket where they can let a horse go foor llittle to nothing, let’sthrow this back to the basic need make $/ don’t lose money aspect.How many people do you know going into tracing with out the expectationof msaking a profit.?
W

Susan P
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:51 PM
I would beg you NOT to turn this into a politcal issue by praising Clinton for prosperity, not all of us agree. So if we are to work together for the horses you must keep your politics to yourself and never praise or put down a president or you will certainly divide this effort. I see NO reason for you to have brought that up. If this is not a bipartisan effort without exploitation then I would have NO part in it.

Bring up the dollars, don't bring up the politics, it is what it is, whether anyone likes it or not and it's not relevant who's in the White House.

I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Sorry, but I must bring up the z$ here ;; i DO KNOW PEOPLE WHO bought Horses off thetrackofhtrack,retrained themto jump, AND SOLDTHM ONTO GOOD good homes or ,at least to homes where people wanted the horses to show or just ride I am fairly cetain they they paid well under $$10k for them, how manyrace horse owners are wiling/ or able to sell for that?
There few people now who are are able to go ninto racing or any horse sport without expectaion or need to make a aprofit; the days of the Clinton budget prosperity are longgone:sadsmile: . And, all te tax cuts in the world are notgoing to put people inte income rtacket where they can let a horse go foor llittle to nothing, let’sthrow this back to the basic need make $/ don’t lose money aspect.How many people do you know going into tracing with out the expectationof msaking a profit.?
W

War Admiral
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:21 PM
So I guess your book plan leaves private rescuers out of the picture huh?? :(

Susan P
Jul. 19, 2006, 12:16 AM
So I guess your book plan leaves private rescuers out of the picture huh?? :(

I don't know, I'm just a private rescuer, not an organization and I'm not a 501 (c) (3) so we'd have to give it to a charity anyway but a story should be accepted, I don't see why we can't use the story then you can designate a charity within the umbrella organization. How does that sound? We'll need to gather the best stories, I think that's #1 and the money has to go to an organized horse charity, I guess since the book is about TBs the charity should be TB.

Susan P
Jul. 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
Maybe we should have a place for all the horses at risk like the Barbaro candles.

Anyone want to set that up? :yes: Somebody?

Equilibrium
Jul. 20, 2006, 02:07 AM
Please make sure someone contacts me about the book as I would like to include Frank's story. We have one TB rescue in all of Ireland that can never take horses as they are always full. Ireland is the 3rd leading producer of TB's in the world and we give almost nothing back. I even wrote a long and detailed letter to the racing post wanting to do a similar book to help racehorses over here. They wouldn't even print the darn thing. I don't care what TB charity it goes to, I just would like Frank's story included. Sorry I haven't been active here lately, it's just I'm trying to get the place ready for my parents arrival. First time they have come to visit me in the 5 years I've been here.
Terri

Susan P
Jul. 20, 2006, 08:50 AM
Terri, I sent you an email. Thanks for the information about Irish racehorses. That's one to tackle! :cry:

So let's get Frank's story in it too.

Carol Ames
Jul. 21, 2006, 10:22 PM
I thinkI have misunderstood what /OTTbs are,I had thought they were formerrace horses who for one reason or anothr had been retiredfrom the track.were now learning a new sport or are just turned out to be horses, like Rich in Dallas;) , or the the many event horses, or hunters,and jumpers, but,reading about plans for the book, and the no compassion" thread I seem to have misunderstood; can someone please explain?:confused: :confused: :confused: ,

Carol Ames
Jul. 21, 2006, 10:30 PM
Though they are:cry: :sadsmile: not Irish horses the stories of Ferdinand, and, Exceller are compeling, and would I 'm sure catch peoples' attention.

Susan P
Jul. 22, 2006, 12:50 PM
OTTBs are just Off The Track Thoroughbreds so off the track to me says they were at the track and most likely raced but I suppose some might not have gotten that far if they were just too slow or were injured but does that still make them OTTBs? Not sure.

The book however is to deal only with OTTBs that have been raced and they tried, maybe they've had a successful racing career, maybe not so hot but they were the throwaways. We discussed this idea on another thread and said we would like to have a throwaways book. Throwaways: a rejected or dumped horse. So you have to have some guidelines for the stories a criteria for which the story should fit. In order to have the stories have an overall title we need to select specific types of horse stories.

I decided that the horses must have been raced at least once and thrown away and not cared for and at risk for being slaughtered or starved or totally neglected and not cared for, along those lines. If the horse is just not wanted and sold to someone else but he's in good shape then it's not the story I'm looking for. I don't know the story about Rich in Dallas and I don't know if they helped any charity. Just as the movie Free Willy made a fortune the actual whale continued to suffer until private individuals made enough donatations to save him. You would think that whoever made the money off of this whale would have taken proper care of him after he was a star, but no. The movie stars, the producers, and even Michael Jackson had a song used in the movie, everyone had their hand out for the money and the poor whale was stuck, he did finally die, not sure why. He had to be rescued. :mad:

Now the racehorses can end up in a bad situation no matter that they made over $100,000 for their owners or $50 or if they cost $100,000. The horse doesn't understand money, he just does what is natural to him.

So if we tell the plight of a few OTTBs we might raise some help for the rescue organizations that helped them or if it was done privately they can suggest an organization that's on the TCA list.

I thinkI have misunderstood what /OTTbs are,I had thought they were formerrace horses who for one reason or anothr had been retiredfrom the track.were now learning a new sport or are just turned out to be horses, like Rich in Dallas;) , or the the many event horses, or hunters,and jumpers, but,reading about plans for the book, and the no compassion" thread I seem to have misunderstood; can someone please explain?:confused: :confused: :confused: ,