PDA

View Full Version : WEG: Mandatory Outing Tuesday

retreadeventer
Jul. 13, 2006, 06:42 PM
Surprised no one has developed a thread yet on this! Our team is about to be picked!
I found a phone number and called today, the New Jersey Horse Park is the site of the mandatory outing on Tuesday, July 18. Dressage is scheduled to start at 8am, stadium at 11am, and cross country in the afternoon but the time wasn't determined when I called this morning. Spectators are welcome and encouraged, at $10/carload.
There are 12 horse and rider combinations set to perform. You know who they are...
Whose going?

deltawave
Jul. 13, 2006, 06:45 PM
Wow, that sounds like something I'd really like to see. Wish I were closer--going to be in NY this week but way too far to drive down, plus I have to work all day. :(

Someone go and give us updates! :yes:

CookiePony
Jul. 13, 2006, 08:10 PM
Oooh... I would love to go...

Is it just like a regular **** event but with only 12 competitors? Is XC shorter-- i.e. how do they test the horses/riders without sapping their energy for the WEG?

mjrtango93
Jul. 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
For this last outing its fun if you just want to see top horses and riders. The dressage will still be competitive but you will notice the rider's "schooling" the horses in the test more, the show jumping is pretty much the same, but you'll notice the big changes at x-c. Most riders aren't going for time as they have nobody to impress. The main point is to see where horses and riders are with fitness and soundness. Past that its schooling time for the riders and making sure that the horses look in top shape. :yes:

tuppysmom
Jul. 13, 2006, 11:54 PM
I leave on Monday to groom for my daughter for the week.

The format is a CT with a XC school. They will be judged in the dress. and sj, and will jump 25 or so XC jumps. One rider will be on course at a time because all of the team selectors will be there watching,(and selecting), so I would think that everyone will be putting in their best efforts. On the XC they will be allowed to rejump a jump if they feel it will improve. The the vet evaluations will be held on Wed and Thurs. The 10 riders to travel will be selected Thurs or Fri.

Eventer13
Jul. 14, 2006, 12:08 AM
Is the dressage, sj, and XC all at the advanced level? Or do they, for example, ride over lower XC jumps at a slower time to save wear and tear?

tuppysmom
Jul. 14, 2006, 12:14 AM
My understanding is that it is a test to show the selectors who is ready and who is not. I am fairly sure that the jumps will be advanced.

polo3day
Jul. 14, 2006, 12:53 PM
Has anyone heard anything more about the training sessions??? Which horses are going well, etc?

fastpace
Jul. 14, 2006, 02:38 PM
Just thought I would post the short list again.

Stephen Bradley of Leesburg, VA, riding Brandenburg's Joshua, an 11-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by Southern Edition Farm, LLC
· Jan Byyny of Purcellville, VA, riding Task Force, a 15-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by J.C. Chester
· Will Faudree of Southern Pines, NC, riding Antigua, a 17-year-old Australian thoroughbred gelding, owned by Will Faudree
· Rebecca Holder of Mendota Heights, MN, riding Courageous Comet, a 10-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by Tom Holder
· Bonnie Mosser of Kennett Square, PA, riding Jenga, a 13-year-old English thoroughbred gelding, owned by Bonnie Mosser
· Karen O'Connor of The Plains, VA, riding Upstage, a 15-year-old New Zealand thoroughbred gelding, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Thompson
· Nathalie Pollard of Chatsworth, GA, riding West Farthing, a 13-year-old British Sport Horse gelding, owned by Nathalie Pollard, Carl Bouckaert and Stephanie Bouckaert
· Kim Severson of Keene, VA, riding Winsome Adante, a 13-year-old English thoroughbred gelding, owned by Plain Dealing Farm, Inc.
· Amy Tryon of Duval, WA, riding Poggio II, a 14-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by Amy Tryon and Mark Hart
· Amy Tryon of Duval, WA, riding Woodstock, an 11-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by The Woodstock Group
· Heidi White of Aiken, SC, riding Northern Spy, a 13-year-old English thoroughbred gelding, owned by Heidi White
· John Williams of Southern Pines, NC, riding Sloopy, a 14-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by John Williams, Mary Delton and Robert Boeckman

Alternate:
· Sara Mittleider of Kuna, ID, riding El Primero, an 11-year-old thoroughbred gelding, owned by Sara Mittleider

So, can we assume that Amy Tryon has made the WEG squad? Theres 1 spot taken...only 5 more to choose.....

witchy_brown
Jul. 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
Does anyone have the website/email/whatever that gives the information for the mandatory outing? I want to forward it on to a friend since she might be interested in going.

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
Tuesday? Well, maybe I will pack up the wee ones and go! I have a double stroller that doubles as an all terrain vehicle.

Anyone local to me going? Care to carpool (with me and two wee children?) :winkgrin:

Just have to be back by 4pm to meet up with cosmosmom - hey! OOOooooo, Cosmosmom, maybe you should take the day off work and come with us!!?? Do you like children?

Edited to add that unless the weather looks dangerous, we are going! I will be the ragged old blond chick with two children in a blue double stroller. I will bring camera and take notes as best I can. Tho' hard to do while wheeling double stroller.

retreadeventer
Jul. 14, 2006, 04:02 PM
Witchy Brown, you are looking at the only thing on the web with information about this very important day. I called someone on the phone at a number I found in a calendar listing in Horse Talk of New Jersey. (oops sacrilege, mentioning anothe publication on the COTH board...sorry, List Gods.)
Gossip: one of the listed pairs has not been at the training session and it is not known if she will be there Tuesday, either.
And Amy Tryon is in England where her mandatory outing was that advanced horse trial she did with Poggio and Le Samuri; she won't cross the pond for Tuesday from what I gather --
$700 Pony I really wish I could go so you will HAVE to report for all of us.
We are in the process of helping Sara get ready too -- we wish her the very best of luck.
Please keep tuned in and keep bumping this thread -- we will have news on things that will be happening posted here each day I hope.

gully's pilot
Jul. 14, 2006, 07:05 PM
Please post full gossip, not partial!

tuppysmom
Jul. 15, 2006, 01:22 AM
Woodstck has dropped off the short list. Sara has been moved up. 12 riders for 10 spots.

The TS went well for Sara. They all did a mock dressage test for Brian Ross on Wed. Robert Dover warmed everyone up. They don't actually tell who won, or was 2nd, etc. Sara just said that she had a very nice ride. It was a much better test than KY. She did say that Tony got several 8's.

Thurs was a condioning day for her horse. Some riders are jumping with CMP on Sat. Sara will watch the jump schools and pack to move up to NJHP on Sunday evening.

pwynnnorman
Jul. 15, 2006, 05:35 AM
I wish someone were keeping a diary or something. It'd be so much more fun to be able to follow along more closely. It would also be fun to have an idea of what the selectors are thinking. I'm looking forward to whatever is posted here!

RiverBendPol
Jul. 15, 2006, 11:13 AM
Holy cow, it is so GRIPPING!! Tell MORE!!
I've chosen MY team of favorites, have YOU? :)

ottb dressage
Jul. 15, 2006, 12:37 PM
anyone know the order of go for tuesday.

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 15, 2006, 03:55 PM
http://www.horseparkofnewjersey.com/index.htm

Mini-update. Cross country is at 2pm.

I have to say I am pretty excited! I am hoping to be able to stay the whole day.

ottb dressage
Jul. 15, 2006, 04:10 PM
are spectators allowed on july 17, the schooling day?

tuppysmom
Jul. 17, 2006, 12:09 AM
I am off to NJHP in the morning to do the groom thing. Please find us and introduce yourselves on Tuesday. I won't get there in time on Monday to meet anyone. I don't have any ride times, but I am sure that I will be there all day braiding, brushing, feeding, cleaning, or walking, the horse.

ottb dressage
Jul. 17, 2006, 08:05 AM
i am hoping to be there tomorrow and would definately love to meet you and of course sara and tony. i am wishing them the very best of luck!!

colliemom
Jul. 17, 2006, 05:05 PM
Boy I hope everyone there is prepared for the weather. It's forecast to be close to if not over 100 degrees in this area tomorrow (Tuesday). Tuppysmom, please take care and pace yourselves as much as possible!!

Still working out the details of our barn donation. Will you guys be in and around NJ / Gladstone for the duration of the week?? I'm sure we can hook up somewhere in that time frame.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!!

Laurie@CBF
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:09 PM
I just called the NJHP and they said that the start times are earlier due to the heat.

Dressage at 7 AM

SJ at 10:30

XC at 12:30

I am pretty sure these are correct - I was taken back when the phone was answered this late.

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:56 PM
Good luck to all the riders tomorrow! So dreadfully hot. :no:

I am still planning to go - but there's no way I'll make a 7am dressage - I'll get there for show jumping and try to stay for cross country.

See you all tomorrow!

Bensmom
Jul. 17, 2006, 10:32 PM
Go, Woody, GO! :D

Best of luck to all the horses and riders tomorrow. :D

Libby

Sara Lieser
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
For Chronicle subscribers--we've sent a staff member to the New Jersey Horse Park to report on the mandatory outing. We'll post results, information and photos in the Breaking News section of the website as they come in.

polo3day
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you COTH for sending someone to send us reports and photos!

KateDB
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:42 AM
I'm just sorry it isn't you going, SL!

Sara Lieser
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:50 AM
Aww, thanks KateDB. But I'm not too sad to miss it this time. It's supposed to be very hot (poor horses), and I'm a little worn out from all the travel this spring. But I'll be there at WEG, along with two other COTH staffers, to bring everyone all the action, eventing and otherwise.

KateDB
Jul. 18, 2006, 10:54 AM
Ok, now I'm really jealous!
I might have to be mean to you at our next lesson!!! lol

hoofhearted
Jul. 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
I hope someone with a COTH subscription will cut and paste the breaking news for those of us who don't!

Thanks

BAC
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:22 PM
For Chronicle subscribers--we've sent a staff member to the New Jersey Horse Park to report on the mandatory outing. We'll post results, information and photos in the Breaking News section of the website as they come in.

Has anything been posted yet? If so I can't find it. Dressage and SJ must be over by now - I thought it was going to be real time posting of scores but maybe they are waiting until the entire event is completed?

Sara Lieser
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:29 PM
Sorry BAC, I guess I wasn't clear. The Horse Park of NJ has no internet connection. So we're waiting for our reporter to call us, and then we'll put that information up on Breaking News. Photos will come later. She may be waiting until after cross-country to call.

This isn't like our regular online coverage, since there won't be any true results, just reports and photos. They won't even name the team, but we'll at least be able to tell you who was there and how they did.

I'll post to the BB as soon as the Breaking News is up, and I'll send out a Breaking News alert as well.

I know, I know, I'm as impatient as you all are!

Also, I ask that subscribers refrain from re-posting the Breaking News. Go ahead and tell people what happened, but we hope to encourage many of you BBers to subscribe by offering cool internet perks to subscribers.

BAC
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks Sara, I just misunderstood. I can't wait to hear what's happening, its great of COTH to provide us with this coverage.

Firefox
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
Talked to my niece and after dressage the first four are:

Jan Thompson 1
Becky Holder 2
Kim Seveson 3T
Bonnie Mosser 3T

Go Bonnie Go!!!!!!!

fastpace
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
GO JAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Badger
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:18 PM
Go Becky and Comet!!!!!!!!!!!!

fastpace
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:24 PM
Don't they pick the team later this week??

KSevnter
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:50 PM
GO JAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

:) Yay!!!

CAH
Jul. 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
Whew, I know how the Horse Park can get - it must be sweltering there. My trainer was there last evening and he shared that fans with misters were set up around the area.

fastpace
Jul. 18, 2006, 03:32 PM
Anyone have anymore updates!?...the event has got to be over by now..it's almost 4 p.m.!!! :D

Gry2Yng
Jul. 18, 2006, 03:37 PM
Must have news!!!!!!!

TBpalsx3
Jul. 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
Sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear some news!

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 18, 2006, 04:32 PM
Well, it was hot. Damn hot. I can't even imagine how the riders kept it together. :no:

I, unfortunately, don't really have "news," though. My journalistic days are too far behind me. We got there for the last four dressage tests (Will, Jan, somebody my melting brain can't dredge up and Karen, I think?). The tests were awesome to watch :yes: - it is amazing that these horses do what they do.

Stadium was interesting - there were rails flying left and right. I am sure there was a least a clean round or two, but cooler heads than mine (and maybe someone who actually looked at the order of go) would have to give you those insights.

As for cross country, I parked right by the water jump, so didn't even see much of the course. Stephen Bradley fell off at 13 (didn't see it) but got back on and had a stop at ramp into water before finishing. Sara also had a stop at the ramp into water.

This was the first time I had ever seen Winsome Adante go in person and, man, that horse is something. Kim decided to take two trips through the water, so she circled basically through the spectators to go around again. She had Dan within a couple of feet of my stroller (minor heart failure - stroller had two children in it) and just cool as could be in 100 degrees, said, "Stay where you are, I'll get around you!" And nice as you please, she did. That woman can ride. :yes:

Apparently, team will be decided on Friday! Can't wait to get the real news and the inside skinny!

It was really, really awesome to be there to see these horses and riders go. Despite the heat, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

witchy_brown
Jul. 18, 2006, 04:34 PM
I went!!!

I must say, very impressive riding, though there were some "upsets"

As far as the CT goes, my brain is a little fried from the heat, so I may be a little off on the numbers:

Everyone was *really* close after the dressage. All within 5 or so points, within the 40-55ish range. Karen & Upstage led the dressage on a 43.3, but lost it after pulling 2 (3?) rails in stadium and adding several time faults. I cant remember the order, but either Jan or Will were 2nd/3rd. Jan & Task Force went clean in stadium but added some time in stadium. Will had a very nice test (I was very impressed!) but pulled 2 rails as well and added several time penalties. Kim and Bonnie Mosser were tied for 4th on a 47.6. Bonnie seemed to be a little rush-y at the beginning of the test, but settled at the end. I bet if she chilled a little more, she would have been right up there with Karen & Upstage. Kim went clean in stadium with some time, and bonnie pulled an unlucky rail and had zero time faults...I think she was the only one w/o time in stadium. I believe Becky was 5th, but pulled 2 rails in stadium. I cant remember the exact orders/placings of the following: John and Sloopy had a descent test to come middle of the pack, and I think pulled 1 (2?) rails. He seemed to struggle a little bit with keeping the trot work consistant. Heidi had a rather dissapointing dressage test and seemed to struggle with her shoulder-ins and over-all looked to be fighting a little bit with Farley. She pulled a rail in stadium and did not look happy. Natalie had a nice test from what I hear (I missed it) had a nasty fall in the warm-up for stadium, but pulled it together for a nice stadium round. I honestly missed most of Stephen Bradley's riding with the exception of the XC. I missed Sara's dressage, but she had a nice stadium, pulling, I think one rail? She has a very unique stadium position, but I guess its whatever works!!

OK...onto the XC. Some interesting stuff happened. Karen & Upstage had a run-out at the first of the double corners in the woods. She did not represent, but instead just continued on the course. Sara had a stop at the second water, but made it in on her 2nd try. Stephen & Brandenburgs Joshua had a difficult go, falling at the bounce-bank up and getting a stop at the second water. Kim, Bonnie, Will, Becky, Jan and Heidi all looked really, really good.

Im curious to see how they take the XC into consideration. There were some really nasty rides through the 1st water. It was a HUGE rolltop, bounce into the water, a few strides across and then up a bank, one stride to a skinny house. At the press confrence, Natalie was commenting on the fact that she has trouble "understanding" one fence. (the long on a mound to a corner) and had to re-take it several times before "getting it." I dont know how they take that into consideration when picking teams.

I was sad to miss Kim's test, but both her and Bonnie Mosser (Jenga) looked on the top of their game. I think they both have a very good shot of making the team. I wouldnt be surprised if the team is: Jan, Bonnie, Kim, Will, Becky/Amy alt: Heidi, Natalie

Gry2Yng
Jul. 18, 2006, 04:41 PM
I guess I will be on pins and needles until they announce the team. LOVE the stroller/Dan & Kim incident. Thanks to everyone for the updates.

thundy
Jul. 18, 2006, 04:44 PM
what were the final results after each phase?

eks
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:03 PM
Go Bonnie! Wish that I could have been there to see everyone....sounded like a really fun time.

Laurie@CBF
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:16 PM
It was a great opportunity to see our top riders in one place at the same time.

RR - what a moment - eh? I'm interested to hear the version you tell your children's father....

My three favorites today were:

Kim, Becky, and Jan. Add Amy and that would be my pick for the team.

Eventress
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:27 PM
Kim decided to take two trips through the water, so she circled basically through the spectators to go around again.

Could you tell why she was circling? Was he fighting her or was she just trying to cool him off? Thanks for the report :)

witchy_brown
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:29 PM
the only thing I would be curious about Becky would be the stadium.

Im sure the selectors were thinking about her Rolex trip when she jumped around today...How she perhaps handles pressure in stadium And even though she had a nice course, she pulled two rails. And considering stadium was before XC, it is hard to tell how the horse will go after going XC first. Will he pull the rails again? I dont know how they will take that into consideration.

Janet
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:35 PM
what were the final results after each phase? Do they even CALCULATE "final results"? Things like "not representing after a refusal", or "jumping the water jump twice" woudl be "E" in a real competition, but not here.

The "final results" will be who gets selected for the team.

witchy_brown
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:37 PM
eventingetc.com:

Dressage Results:

1. Karen O'Connor, Upstage - 43.3
2. Jan Byyny, Task Force - 45.0
3. Becky Holder, Courageous Comet - 46.1
4T. Bonnie Mosser, Jenga - 47.8
4T. Kim Severson, Winsome Adante - 47.8
6. Nathalie Pollard, West Farthing - 50.0
7. Will Faudree, Antigua - 50.6
8. John Williams, Sloopy - 53.3
9. Steve Bradley, Brandenburg's Joshua - 55.0
10. Heidi White, Northern Spy - 55.6
11. Sara Mitleider, El Primero - 61.1

Combined Test Results:

1. Kim Severson, Winsome Adante - 47.8: 0 jumping, 1 time SJ = 48.8
2. Bonnie Mosser, Jenga - 47.8; 4 jumping, 0 time SJ = 51.8
3. Jan Byyny, Task Force - 45.0; 0 jumping, 9 time SJ = 54.0
4. Nathalie Pollard, West Farthing - 50.0; 4 jumping, 1 time SJ = 55.0
5. Becky Holder, Courageous Comet - 46.1; 4 jumping, 4 time SJ = 55.1
6. John Williams, Sloopy - 53.3; 0 jumping, 3 time SJ = 56.3
7. Karen O'Connor, Upstage - 43.3: 12 jumping, 6 time SJ = 61.3
8. Will Faudree, Antigua - 50.6; 8 jumping, 4 time SJ = 62.6
9. Heidi White, Northern Spy - 55.6; 4 jumping, 6 time = 65.6
10. Steve Bradley, Brandenburg's Joshua - 55.0; 8 jumping, 6 time SJ = 69.0
11. Sara Mittleider, El Primero - 61.1; 4 jumping, 9 time SJ = 74.1

AKDragooPhoto
Jul. 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
I'll be posting pics as soon as I'm done editing!

Amy

hoofhearted
Jul. 18, 2006, 06:18 PM
Not to be picky, but according to the Eventingetc. results, Becky only pulled one rail and had 4 time faults. After the Rolex round (of which I think at least 2 rails if not 3 were due to the slip), one rail is looking pretty good.

Laurie@CBF
Jul. 18, 2006, 06:23 PM
Because nothing was announced, it was hard for spectators to know who had time faults in their stadium rounds. Bonnie deserves more kudos due to her fast time.

On XC I was very impressed with Becky. The approach to the second water was challenging and some had to "work" pretty hard at getting/keeping their horse together (skinny then down the steep hill) for the jump into the water. Becky had her horse nicely compressed down the hill and he jumped easily out of his stride (going into the water). Without changing anything they had a very nice jump within the water. They looked like they were performing easily as "one entity".

Some horses didn't look to be completely on their game today - which with the heat is understandable. It makes choosing all the more difficult.

witchy_brown
Jul. 18, 2006, 06:30 PM
Not to be picky, but according to the Eventingetc. results, Becky only pulled one rail and had 4 time faults. After the Rolex round (of which I think at least 2 rails if not 3 were due to the slip), one rail is looking pretty good.

Ah ha! Your right. I got Becky and Karen's rounds mixed up in my head...its the heat, I tell ya!!

Karen seemed to struggle a little bit. Upstage was hitting a lot of fences very hard. She was def. very lucky in a few places. I heard rails rocking in the cups all throughout the course. And at the end of her course, she seemed a little pissed and circled/pulled up hard.

Sara Lieser
Jul. 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
OK, we've finally got the story and results online. Photos will follow tomorrow. Sorry it took so long!

pwynnnorman
Jul. 18, 2006, 07:40 PM
It was a great opportunity to see our top riders in one place at the same time.
That's what I regret missing--with the unique training theme, especially. Do you suppose for the Pan Am Games they'll do something similar?

Reynard Ridge
Jul. 18, 2006, 07:52 PM
Could you tell why she was circling? Was he fighting her or was she just trying to cool him off? Thanks for the report :)

Just my opinion of course, but it looked like she didn't like the way it rode the first time and she was looking for a mulligan (which, of course, today, she could take). Didn't get the feeling he was pulling - she wasn't circling to get him under control - she was in control. She picked her way through us like she knew EXACTLY what she was doing. :yes:

Presented him for the second go round and it sure looked flawless to me.

Candle
Jul. 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
GO SARA & TONY!!!!! I LOVED Tony's face all during his Rolex run. I'm jingling for you guys!!!

retreadeventer
Jul. 18, 2006, 08:53 PM
Just heard from someone there -- Stephen had a hard time on XC and may have had a fall; some rounds were good, some were not; the picture is not clear at this time as to who was outstanding and who was not. They say that Kim pretty much is at the top, they feel, but that the middle and bottom are very mixed picture. Soundness now is very important, and according to the person who was there, ALL the horses had a hitch somewhere. None were perfect so I guess the next two days with the more extensive vet check of them may be the decider.

pwynnnorman
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:10 PM
I came upon this (talk about a nice human interest story to promote the sport):

$300 racehorse and Idaho farm girl vie for U.S. equestrian team
July 18, 2006 12:44 PM The Associated Press

KUNA, Idaho Riding a thoroughbred her Dad bought at a Boise horsetrack after it finished dead last in six straight races, Sara Mittleider (MITT-lye-dur) is in the running for the World Equestrian Games in Germany next month.

The 20-year-old Kuna woman is one of 12 finalists selected by the U-S Equestrian Federation that are competing in the selection trials underway in New Jersey this week.

On Friday, judges will pick six to represent the U-S at the World Games.
Mittleider's horse Tony was a washed-up racehorse that her father bought for 300-dollars seven years ago. Since then, the pair have become top competitors in the equestrian sport of three-day eventing.

And she's turned down several six-figure offers for Tony from potential buyers, saying her dream is to go to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

witchy_brown
Jul. 18, 2006, 09:29 PM
Just heard from someone there -- Stephen had a hard time on XC and may have had a fall; some rounds were good, some were not; the picture is not clear at this time as to who was outstanding and who was not. They say that Kim pretty much is at the top, they feel, but that the middle and bottom are very mixed picture. Soundness now is very important, and according to the person who was there, ALL the horses had a hitch somewhere. None were perfect so I guess the next two days with the more extensive vet check of them may be the decider.

Stephen fell off at the bounce bank up to a BIG narrow cabin thing. In the press conference, he said he had the horse run out at a similar fence a few weeks earlier and cut himself up a little bit. Stephen was a bit worried about a repeat "injury" and thoroughly blamed the fall on himself.

Later on in the course he had a "weak" stop at the 2nd water. Horse just kind of "stopped" dead on straight. He gave him a good smack, re approached and jumped in fine.

jhodkin
Jul. 19, 2006, 05:14 AM
Could someone be really, really kind and copy and paste the breaking news into here please? I don't subscribe as I'm in the UK, but I'm desperate to hear how Dan went.

THANK YOOOOOUUUUU ! :)

gully's pilot
Jul. 19, 2006, 06:53 AM
Go Karen go!

My personal Dream Team: Karen, Kim, Amy and Sarah for the team, Jan and Becky for individuals.

Fastpace, you'd better start cheering for Karen!

Shaq
Jul. 19, 2006, 06:58 AM
USEA website has a write up about the outing

http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=409

DizzyMagic
Jul. 19, 2006, 09:19 AM
Stephen fell off at the bounce bank up to a BIG narrow cabin thing. In the press conference, he said he had the horse run out at a similar fence a few weeks earlier and cut himself up a little bit. Stephen was a bit worried about a repeat "injury" and thoroughly blamed the fall on himself.

Later on in the course he had a "weak" stop at the 2nd water. Horse just kind of "stopped" dead on straight. He gave him a good smack, re approached and jumped in fine.

Just for clarity -Josh didn't have a run out at a similar fence recently - he ran THROUGH a fence during a thunderstorm, resulting in the ugly cut on his side!

I am bummed for them that they had such a rough go. :(

Emily

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
I don't think COTH, who so generously provides us with this playground at no charge, would appreciate anyone cutting and pasting stuff from the "paid" portion of their website. It's not only a copyright violation but bad manners. :)

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2006, 09:46 AM
Anyone care to pick the team, just for fun?

My guesses:

Kim and Dan
Karen and Woody
Becky and Comet
Heidi and N. Spy

Alternate: Jan and TF or Bonnie and Jenga

witchy_brown
Jul. 19, 2006, 09:51 AM
Basing my team *just* on what I saw at the outing:

Kim & Dan
Jan & Jedi
Bonnie & Jenga
Becky & Comet (or Amy/Poggio)

Alternate: Will & Antigua or Heidi and Northern Spy

KSevnter
Jul. 19, 2006, 10:07 AM
Some of these combinations have a good deal more consistent **** experience than others. I have no idea what kind of criteria the selectors will use, but that may be taken into account.

Kim, Amy, Jan, Heidi, Will, and John have consistently placed in the top 10 at the **** level with these particular horses.

InVA
Jul. 19, 2006, 10:11 AM
deleted

ottb dressage
Jul. 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
i too am very sad that joshua and stephen had such a rough time. i hope stephen was not injured in the fall, and that joshua has no side effect from his pasture boo-boo. i was at the outing yesterday, but missed their dressage, stayed a bit for the jumping and left before cross country. please give joshua and stephen my best wishes.

lisa and bobbie

DizzyMagic
Jul. 19, 2006, 12:20 PM
i too am very sad that joshua and stephen had such a rough time. i hope stephen was not injured in the fall, and that joshua has no side effect from his pasture boo-boo. i was at the outing yesterday, but missed their dressage, stayed a bit for the jumping and left before cross country. please give joshua and stephen my best wishes.

lisa and bobbie

I think neither is the worse for wear after the day - just disappointed. Josh's cut was icky looking, but it didn't seem to cause any physical problems - it was just in a bad spot for riding. I'll be sure to pass on your good wishes!

Emily

ottb dressage
Jul. 19, 2006, 12:28 PM
thanks for the update emily! i hope stephen will be heading back up to nj for some clinics again. he's been very hard to replace with my sensitive OTTB.

lisa

mythical84
Jul. 19, 2006, 12:56 PM
Hmmm ... here's my guess:

almost definately:
Kim & Dan
Jan & Jedi
Amy & Pog

good chance:
Becky & Comet
Bonnie & Jenga
Heidi & Northern Spy (I can't think of his barn name)
John & Sloopy (too bad Carrick can't go)

I really have no idea ... it would be really nice for Bonnie and Heidi to go since they've been so close to being named to a team so many other times ... and Heidi had a good go at Rolex.

rp4241
Jul. 19, 2006, 01:49 PM
Just to clarify...

I am pretty sure they are not picking the actual team this friday. Rather, they are picking the 10 horse/rider combos they are going to fly over to England to train. Those 10 will compete in one more HT before they actually choose the final 4 for the team and the 2 individuals. These guys will leave on Sunday or Monday and then they will live and train together for another 3 or so weeks. This is only the beginning of the pressure on them! Its going to be a while longer before we know who will actually be on the team!

BAC
Jul. 19, 2006, 02:20 PM
It appears there is a good chance that we may have an "all ladies" team at WEG - has this ever happened before in U.S. eventing?

DizzyMagic
Jul. 19, 2006, 02:48 PM
Just to clarify...

I am pretty sure they are not picking the actual team this friday. Rather, they are picking the 10 horse/rider combos they are going to fly over to England to train. Those 10 will compete in one more HT before they actually choose the final 4 for the team and the 2 individuals. These guys will leave on Sunday or Monday and then they will live and train together for another 3 or so weeks. This is only the beginning of the pressure on them! Its going to be a while longer before we know who will actually be on the team!

They're shipping 10 pairs? Does that include Amy, who's already over there?

Erin
Jul. 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
InVA, let me explain something, to you and to anyone else who thinks it's just fine and dandy to post the ENTIRETY of copyrighted material online.

IT IS NOT.

First and foremost, because COTH foots the bill for this playground, and at the very least, you should respect the fact that they have chosen to make certain portions of the site available only to subscribers. (Gee, why do you think that is?)

Secondly, if common courtesy weren't enough of a motivator for you -- because it is actually illegal.

You're welcome to summarize what happened. No, it's not as good as reading the report of what actually happened, and that's why people pay the money to subscribe. How else do you think COTH is going to pay their excellent reporters who go sit out in the heat and rotten weather for hours and hours to provide those first-hand reports, hmm?

You get what you pay for.

BAC
Jul. 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
If I understand correctly the 10 pairs would include Amy.

fastpace
Jul. 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
So happy for Jan AND Karen!!! :D

As of right now this is what I think:

Team:
Kim and Dan
Jan and Jedi
Karen and Woody
Amy and Poggio

Individuals:
Heidi and Northern Spy
Nathalie and West Farthing

Now this is just an idea, because I think these riders could fit ANYWHERE in here too:
Will and Antigua
Becky and Comet
Bonnie and Jenga
John and Sloopy

So, who knows!?

mythical84
Jul. 19, 2006, 03:25 PM
Ok, let me see if I'm doing my math right ...

10 riders will be training in England for WEG. Amy is already there with Poggio, so that means 9 riders from yesterday's outing will be flying over. Which means, only 2 riders from yesterday will not be going.

If you go by standings after the CT, Stephen and Sara are the bottom two.

It would suck for Stephen to not at least travel because of (what seems to be) bad luck for Stephen and a very fixable bump-in-the-road for Josh.

fastpace
Jul. 19, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ok, this is what's going on :

10 riders will go to England to train (including Amy whose already there!), 6 will be chosen for the WEG (4 team members, 2 individuals) and the other 4 will be named as alternates who will compete at either Burghley OR Bleinheim.

Now, the 6 riders chosen to compete at the WEG will be named on Friday (along with who will be the 1st-4th alternates).

Get it?

pwynnnorman
Jul. 20, 2006, 06:39 AM
What do you suppose are their chances at this point? Their dressage must have put them on very solid ground initially, wouldn't you say? So how much do you think the selectors will consider the maybe-heat-influenced rails in stadium (I know: and maybe not--they've had multiple rails down a fair bit this season, but just about everyone has, seems to me) and the mistake on x-c? They're still the most experienced (or tied with Kim) and have been very consistent for quite some time and with no soundness issues.

Mark Phillips has emphasized dressage a lot, but only four (?) got into the 40s and Amy's dressage wasn't so great over in England (was it? I got that impression from what someone wrote somewhere, but I don't remember exactly). So given that Kim and Jan are a given--and what about Bonnie? Is she almost a "given," too--or not? Why not?--that only leaves one spot on the team and two off. So...who wants to play this game?

I'm biased, of course, but I don't think the x-c should count that much. I'm very unsure about the stadium, though, since everywhere folks are racking up lots of penalties there and that, like dressage, might be a more significant determinant of the outcome these days.

pegasusmom
Jul. 20, 2006, 06:53 AM
So given that Kim and Jan are a given--and what about Bonnie? Is she almost a "given," too--or not? Why not?--that only leaves one spot on the team and two off. So...who wants to play this game?

I'm biased, of course, but I don't think the x-c should count that much. I'm very unsure about the stadium, though, since everywhere folks are racking up lots of penalties there and that, like dressage, might be a more significant determinant of the outcome these days.

Ok, I'll play. And I disagree with you. I think XC should count as much.

My other three? John, Will and Becky.

gully's pilot
Jul. 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
I'd have to have seen the sj to know how much to factor it in--I think xc's pretty important, though again, I'd want to see the problems. Dressage, though, has got to be considered pretty heavily--it's unlikely anyone's going to improve their dressage that much between now and August. But I think soundness is always going to be a huge consideration for any team.

go Karen go...

ottb dressage
Jul. 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
anyone else can't wait to hear who made the list tomorrow, probably won't be posted till last afternoon, though. i guess stephen is probably not going to make it, what a shame!

pwynnnorman
Jul. 20, 2006, 08:40 AM
BTW, was x-c timed? If it wasn't, wouldn't that make it a little harder to use as a criteria (some horses may have had difficulties had riders needed to ride "faster" lines, for example)? (I'm thinking about Amy's times in England--she obviously wasn't going for it, so was she, maybe, informed that time wouldn't be important in her "trial"?)

retreadeventer
Jul. 20, 2006, 08:40 AM
I think cross country you take in context -- with an eye toward what kind of four star courses the horse has successfully completed over the last two years.
Stadium and dressage weight heavily -- because, as you have pointed out, it isn't going to improve much between now and next month, so what you see is pretty much what you get.
ALSO may I remind all -- that when you post your embelishments -- not only Americans but everyone else may read them -- letting the world so to speak, know our performances -- please be discreet. It's much better for our riders not to have to go into the dressage arena with the Yankee minus points already on their sheets -- we need to master the art of promoting our teams' horses and not picking apart their performances in public. Try to say it nicely so that we can go across the pond with positive press!
ALL our horses are top drawer Advanced level three and four star pairs with tons of experience -- many former team members -- and we can be proud of what we are about to send over I think no matter who is picked!!!

jhodkin
Jul. 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
ALSO may I remind all -- that when you post your embelishments -- not only Americans but everyone else may read them -- letting the world so to speak, know our performances -- please be discreet. It's much better for our riders not to have to go into the dressage arena with the Yankee minus points already on their sheets -- we need to master the art of promoting our teams' horses and not picking apart their performances in public. Try to say it nicely so that we can go across the pond with positive press!

Don't you think this is happening in every country not just America?? :lol:

The Brits get just as much analysing if not more so...

Chill... what we say or don't say here won't make a jot of difference to anyone (but obviously I'm not talking about being offensive). :)

NeverTime
Jul. 20, 2006, 10:09 AM
Speaking of which, jhodkin, is there anything from the UK to add to the news about the nature of Primmore's Pride's "training setback"? Is the horse sound? Expected to continue at the 4* level? Expected to stay w/Pippa? What's the word? Such an amazing horse; I was really looking forward to seeing them go again in internat'l competition.

BAC
Jul. 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
With the great success Pippa has had with Primmore's Pride I'm curious as to why you ask if he is expected to stay with her.

Eventing magazine said he is 100% sound but needed more time, I'm sure Jhodkin will have more specific info.

witchy_brown
Jul. 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
Re: time on XC

I think there was a posted time (as I heard many eventing watches beeping as they came galloping past) but I dont think all of the riders went for time (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3) due to the heat.

pwynnnorman
Jul. 20, 2006, 12:47 PM

Say, that's something I, too, care deeply about, but I don't really understand what you are getting at, retreadeventer (and I'd like to). PM me if you don't want to post it here, though (so the thread doesn't go OT).

DizzyMagic
Jul. 20, 2006, 12:47 PM
Personally, my favorite horses at the outing are Josh and Woody.

I'm thrilled to bits over Woody's dressage - Karen has worked very hard to get him competitive there, believing in him every step of the way, even while being told that the horse will never be competitive. Now that hard work has paid off! I don't think the corner issue should come into play at all with the selectors. Woody is an extremely experienced 4* horse - and the outing is a bit artificial in my opinion. I don't think these top riders typically "school" over advanced level xc fences - it seems to me like the big stuff would ride better in the context of a real competition, having your blood up and all that. To me, Karen and Woody's weak point is the show jumping. I think they are usually good for a couple of rails down; he's such a sensitive horse - I remember George Morris saying that he has a tendency to scoot through his distances when he gets tense.

I'm really bummed about Stephen and Josh's ride, but I would attribute it to the fact that the pair did not see the same distance at the fence where Stephen fell. They just weren't "in sync" (as shown by his uncharacteristic rails in the sj) and that's unusual. Josh had to twist to get over, and knowing his usual jumping style, I think that would rattle him. He usually clears his fences by a mile. I also think it would rattle him to have dropped his rider - I don't think he ever has! So that's my speculation on his tentativeness later in the course. I'm hoping they at least ship over to England - some good jump schools now that Josh's side has healed should get them back on form, and I think they would do great at the WEG or at Burghley.

I don't really know the other horses very well, but I think it would be nice to see Will and Antigua on the team. They've got a lot of nice solid performances behind them, and the horse is getting up there in years. I hope they get a shot this time!

Emily

Gry2Yng
Jul. 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
The soundest horses will be getting on the plane.

witchy_brown
Jul. 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
and the outing is a bit artificial in my opinion. I don't think these top riders typically "school" over advanced level xc fences - it seems to me like the big stuff would ride better in the context of a real competition, having your blood up and all that.

I couldnt tell by your post if you were at the selection trials, but I was. The XC could very much act like a "competition" run depending on how the rider's viewed it. It was a marked course, with start box, finish flags, and time. The only thing that would make it slightly "artificial" and some-what like a schooling was the fact that you could re-take fences. But the majority of the riders rode the course as-if it was a competiton. Not a schooling.

But I agree, I would like to see Stephen and Josh shipped over. I think they just werent quite together at the trials and could be a huge asset to the team/burhley if they get it back together.

oldbutnotdead
Jul. 20, 2006, 01:50 PM
Congratulations to all at the trials. What an honor it must be to be even selected for the outing. Kudos especially to young Sara and Tony.

DizzyMagic
Jul. 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
I couldnt tell by your post if you were at the selection trials, but I was. The XC could very much act like a "competition" run depending on how the rider's viewed it. It was a marked course, with start box, finish flags, and time. The only thing that would make it slightly "artificial" and some-what like a schooling was the fact that you could re-take fences. But the majority of the riders rode the course as-if it was a competiton. Not a schooling.

No, wasn't there this time. I know it acts like a competition, but - and I probably can't explain it very well - it doesn't feel like one. At least not to me. There's no big competition atmosphere. It's nothing like a Rolex and it's sure going to be nothing even close to what they'll encounter at the World Games. There are only a handful of competitors. The lead up to the outing is completely different than a Three-day - without all the preparatory horse trials. The horses run Rolex (or Jersey), then get a tiny little vacation, then back to work but in this very controlled team-mandated fashion. I think I was reading on the Equestrian Federation site that the riders can't even jump school their horses without permission from the Chef. It's like conditioning while wrapped in cotton wool.

It's all just my own humble and not very well explained opinion, but if the selectors don't know by now how the horses and riders go in a competition, what in the world is this private combined test with a "xc school" going to do to help them choose a team?

Emily

DizzyMagic
Jul. 20, 2006, 01:54 PM
The soundest horses will be getting on the plane.

So true. It always comes to that in the end...

colliemom
Jul. 20, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm biased, of course, but I don't think the x-c should count that much.

pwynnnorman, do you mean just in the context of this selection process/mandatory outing, or in general in eventing?

I am asking since the rules for eventing (Subchapter EV 3, EV131, Paragraph 2 Relative Influence of the Tests) states "In principle, the Cross Country Test should be the most influential of the three tests of a Horse Trial. The Dressage Test, while less influential than the Cross Country Test, should be more influential than the Jumping Test."

Just wondering why, if the cross country phase is designed to be the most influential, you would not think that it should "count that much."

Granted, these are the US Rules for Eventing, and not FEI rules, but I think the general principle is the same in both, no?

JenJ
Jul. 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
I cannot imagine what a thrill it must be for Sara as a young rider, with her self made horse, to be considered for the team at this early stage in her career. It would be incredible experience for them to make it onto the plane and compete at any of the possible venues.

I dont think the selectors would have included her in the trials if she was not a serious contender to be selected as one of the ten. I hope she does get to go. I saw them near the end of Rolex this year and the look on that horse's face was incredible.

jhodkin
Jul. 20, 2006, 03:17 PM
Speaking of which, jhodkin, is there anything from the UK to add to the news about the nature of Primmore's Pride's "training setback"? Is the horse sound? Expected to continue at the 4* level? Expected to stay w/Pippa? What's the word? Such an amazing horse; I was really looking forward to seeing them go again in internat'l competition.

Someone started a thread about this a little while ago which I responded to. All I know is that after the trial he (as all the team horses were) was scanned. The resulting scan was 'not satisfactory' even though the horse was sound and well. I know the owners are spitting blood and are considering running him at Burghley instead. On the other hand if I'd had a 'not satisfactory' scan on my 4* horse, I think I may pull my horns in a little and wait for Badminton next year - after all I'm sure the selectors wanted him on the team and therefore the scan must show something abnormal otherwise they would have probably risked him. I haven't heard any more as yet, but it won't be that long before Burghley entries go up so we'll all find out then.

Fingers crossed for Kim & Dan ! :D

NeverTime
Jul. 20, 2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks! Will definitely keep eyes open and hope to see more of them competing successfully at the top!

Bensmom
Jul. 20, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm thrilled to bits over Woody's dressage - Karen has worked very hard to get him competitive there, believing in him every step of the way, even while being told that the horse will never be competitive. Now that hard work has paid off! I don't think the corner issue should come into play at all with the selectors. Woody is an extremely experienced 4* horse - and the outing is a bit artificial in my opinion. I don't think these top riders typically "school" over advanced level xc fences - it seems to me like the big stuff would ride better in the context of a real competition, having your blood up and all that. To me, Karen and Woody's weak point is the show jumping. I think they are usually good for a couple of rails down; he's such a sensitive horse - I remember George Morris saying that he has a tendency to scoot through his distances when he gets tense.

DM -- Woody's fan club president agrees 100% with your assessment. I totally pumped for them about the dressage score. I watched some of the schooling with Robert Dover earlier this year and she has worked so hard with him, and he is such a trooper. You can see him concentrate so hard trying to get it *just right*.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get to go -- everyone in contention is a fabulous rider and I like all the horses, but I would really love for Woody to get a shot.

Like that surprises anyone!! :lol:

Go, Woody, GO!

libby

rp4241
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:12 PM
Hi everyone!

I just spoke with Bonnie and she has been picked as one of 8 combos to be flown over. I believe that Amy is also on the list and will be the 9th, already there. It is awful but I was so excited I can't remember all the others picked but Kim, Heidi and Jan are all on the list also. I believe that Sarah will be going to compete at Burghley.

I'm sure other's who are more focused will be able to provide more info by the end of the day. And the official announcement will be made tomorrow.

Anyway... I'm so excited for Bonnie. She has worked long and hard for this and she and Jenga are doing so well right now...

witchy_brown
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:23 PM
rp4241:

Does bonnie know if she made the WEG team? Or just that she is flying over there?

I thought she looked top notch at the outing!! :yes:

fastpace
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:24 PM
Thats great news!!

However...9 riders will go to England. That's not really the "big news" (but, it is exciting news!!). The big news will come tomorrow when 6 riders will be named who will represent the U.S. at the WEG. They won't name the actual team and individuals for a couple weeks, but we will know who the 6 riders will be...

We'll also know who the alternates will be.

lizathenag
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
I rarely go on the COTH website as I like my news a bit aged, but the photos in the breaking news are just wonderful
thanks COTH!

deltawave
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:32 PM
I'm biased, of course, but I don't think the x-c should count that much.

Biased against cross country? Or biased about the results of this particular outing? How can one be "biased" against cross country performance in EVENTING?? :confused:

rp4241
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:36 PM
Witchy_Brown:

Bonnie said that they picked 4 people (Kim, Jan, Heidi and I think Amy-- but please don't anyone quote me on this!!) who are the 4 for the "team" and they will only be replaced due to soundness issues. The other 4 (of which Bonnie is one) will be either the individuals or replacements for those first 4. And seriously! I really can't be sure, except for Kim and Jan, of those first 4 names. I'm just pretty sure that is what she said :)

InVA
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
it is all about the cross country...if it weren't for the XC we'd all just do Dressage....or just Show Jumping...or (gasp!) the HUNTERS!

;-)

thundy
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
My DREAM TEAM!!!!!

witchy_brown
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:46 PM
Witchy_Brown:

Bonnie said that they picked 4 people (Kim, Jan, Heidi and I think Amy-- but please don't anyone quote me on this!!) who are the 4 for the "team" and they will only be replaced due to soundness issues. The other 4 (of which Bonnie is one) will be either the individuals or replacements for those first 4. And seriously! I really can't be sure, except for Kim and Jan, of those first 4 names. I'm just pretty sure that is what she said :)

Im very happy for those on the team, but what a bummer for bonnie and jenga. After watching those two rip it up on Tuesday, I was really rooting for them to make the team! And she has come so close on many occasions...

Though, I would still be thrilled to go to Burhley!!

rp4241
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
Don't give up on her yet! She still has a very good chance of going. Even competing as an individual would be pretty exciting! A lot will happen between now and then so I think it is still pretty early to set anything into stone. Its true though, Burghley is not a very poor consolation prize! Plus, Bonnie will be taking along her other ride Close the Deal to take to Blenheim CCI*** which is the week after the world's and the week before Burghley. These next 6 weeks or so are going to be a roller coaster for sure...

retreadeventer
Jul. 20, 2006, 04:56 PM
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT SARA! (Sorry for shouting - we are EXCITED for this young lady):) :)

AKDragooPhoto
Jul. 20, 2006, 05:06 PM
After storm delays I am up and running. Photos are here- http://www.akdragoophoto.com/New%20Design%20equine%20proofs.html

Cheers,

Amy

pwynnnorman
Jul. 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
:lol: No, no, no, folks! :lol:

Just this particular "competition" (and "biased" because Woody did a little boo boo).

DizzyMagic
Jul. 20, 2006, 05:41 PM
... You can see him concentrate so hard trying to get it *just right*.

That makes me smile - I can just picture his little face! The only thing Woody ever does "wrong" is try too hard. Of course, because of that, it takes a rider like Karen to get the best out of him!

ottb dressage
Jul. 20, 2006, 06:34 PM
i'm so excited to hear that sara will be going over. i can't help but root for her and tony. they are a great underdog story!

ottb dressage
Jul. 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
it seems like it will be an all girl team!!

rp4241
Jul. 20, 2006, 06:52 PM
As I said earlier- I'm sure of nothing except that Bonnie is going! Sorry to be so wishy-washy everyone! I just don't want to get beaten down if things change tonight or it turns out I mis-heard!

ottb dressage
Jul. 20, 2006, 08:40 PM
no problem, i understand, part of the fun is in the guessing anyways!

kcrubin
Jul. 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
This is what I heard:

The four on the team: Amy, Jan, Heidi, and Kim

The alternates that are traveling: Bonnie, Will, Stephen

I don't know if there are more traveling alternates or just those three. I thought they were sending more than 7 so we'll have to see the official word to know for sure.

DizzyMagic
Jul. 21, 2006, 02:59 AM
To add to the rumor mill about who's going (we'll all know for sure soon enough, but I'm impatient!): I've now heard that Karen and Woody are shipping over. Both Karen and Stephen will do Gatcombe...

I guess the simpler question is: who isn't shipping?

Bensmom
Jul. 21, 2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks DM -- I needed to hear that! :D

Go Woody and Josh! :D :yes:

libby

mythical84
Jul. 21, 2006, 07:55 AM
Oh I really hope Sara and Tony get to fly over. Hopefully they see her as a future team member and will give her this international experience.

This is slightly off topic, but does USET pay for all of the expenses for the 10 "team" horses flying over, even those not competing at WEG?

rp4241
Jul. 21, 2006, 08:14 AM
Oh I really hope Sara and Tony get to fly over. Hopefully they see her as a future team member and will give her this international experience.

This is slightly off topic, but does USET pay for all of the expenses for the 10 "team" horses flying over, even those not competing at WEG?
mythical84-

No- or well only sort of. If you get on the plane with the "team" then you get a $15,000 grant. But to put that in perspective, the flight costs $6500 each way(!!!) just for the horse. If you end up going to the games then your costs get reimbursed to you through the team. If you do not get to go to the games, you pay for everything (but the $15,000 is yours to keep). Its a crazy financial burden on these riders. Such a gamble! Not only do they have to risk potentially getting stuck with a bill upwards of $30,000 for like a month and a half of life but they have to also figure out ways to get the horses they are leaving at home ridden and they lose all of their income from teaching and training other horses. They have to put their entire lives on hold for one horse and one competition. Not that I wouldn't do it myself but it is pretty scary...

ottb dressage
Jul. 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
gotta love the rumour mill. and had no idea it was that expensive for 6 weeks!!!!!! wow, it had really better be worth going, or you had better have some great sponsors.

ottb dressage
Jul. 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
glad things came out in the wash for stephen and joshua.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jul. 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
It's up on the breaking news. Kim, Amy, Heidi, and Jan are on the team. The other four, two of which will be individual competitors are Will, Bonnie, Karen and Stephen. No word on the other two pairs that are supposed to ship over.

BAC
Jul. 21, 2006, 12:46 PM
L&HFarm, check out the newest thread posted by Fastpace on Eventing forum, it will bring you up to date.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jul. 21, 2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks, I'm heading there now :D

InVA
Jul. 21, 2006, 01:37 PM
Frankly I'm a little surprised they're flying horse/rider combos over to england that had runouts and multiple rails in the selection trial. They must be very sound!

ottb dressage
Jul. 21, 2006, 01:59 PM
yes, i think that's what it came down to, the soundest horses. if you look at the numbers of people competing at the international level, there isn't a large group to choose from. so probably it always comes down to the soundest, toughest horses.

DizzyMagic
Jul. 21, 2006, 03:44 PM
Frankly I'm a little surprised they're flying horse/rider combos over to england that had runouts and multiple rails in the selection trial. They must be very sound!

I dunno - with Karen and Woody's long experience together, I don't think it's at all strange that they would send them, in spite of the flub on XC. Josh is a lot greener than Woody, but his difficulty was extremely out of character, and Stephen's got a lot of experience as well.

Not to begrudge anyone else their spot - I really like John Williams too! But, as someone said earlier, it always comes to soundness in the end.

ottb dressage
Jul. 22, 2006, 09:14 AM
i put my guess in for individuals, will and karen. any else care to join in the guessing game. can't help but root for antigua!