PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Horse Trials this weekend?

kiwifruit
Jul. 11, 2006, 07:28 AM
Anyone going this weekend? I'm still watching the weather to make my final decision about going. Even thinking about driving the two hours to walk the course/see the venue before packing up for Sunday. Anyone know how the training course is shaping up?

JustJump250
Jul. 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
I'll be there Sunday in the Training too. My trainer spoke with Craig about the course and he says it'll be bigger gallop fences and the technical stuff will be smaller. He said it will be a good move-up type course, which is good-because this will be our first rec. training! What division are you in?

kiwifruit
Jul. 11, 2006, 05:45 PM
I've been kinda hearing the same thing about the course from a few people. The first event will be pretty straightforward while the second event will be ramped up a bit. I have a friend riding prelim on Saturday and she is going to call me to update me on the course and whether or not it's worth the drive. I think I'm in the training rider division or open training. What about you?

oreo
Jul. 12, 2006, 12:27 AM
Anyone know about the Novice course for the 2nd event? We have a horse entered Novice that hasn't gone out since Rubicon last November but needs to get sold. He's a perfect Pony Club upper C or B level horse but we haven't been able to fit him into the schedule to move up to Training yet. He needs another run at Novice before we move him up to Training somewhere. He went Prelim a couple of years ago but we think he needs a refresher or three as it has been a while and he was on the H/J circuit for a couple of years (but didn't like it - good boy!)

Lori B
Jul. 12, 2006, 06:58 AM
I just signed up to scribe for dressage on the 22nd. Are there two different complete events two weekends in a row, or are different divisions going on at different times?

witchy_brown
Jul. 12, 2006, 02:22 PM
It is two separate events, just run back-to-back weekends.

If anyone goes to the first event and has a chance to take a gander at the prelim fences, would you let me know how they look? I entered in the 2nd week (scheduling issues didn't allow me to enter the 1st week) and Im a bit nervous as this is only our second run at the level. (and the first attempt didnt exactly go as planned)

Preferably just take a mental picture of the water and ditch combinations?

Slightly nervous by the fact that the 2nd week sounds to be a bit harder...
we can do this, we can do this, we can do this....:eek:

Lori B
Jul. 12, 2006, 03:01 PM
Well, I could take real pictures, and put 'em up on the web for y'all. Digital cameras are wonderful. No reason not to walk the course before I start scribing. I'll try to do that, if I don't have to be scribing before the sun comes up. ;-)

RISHlover
Jul. 12, 2006, 05:17 PM
Am volunteering Saturday - went to their open house and the course looked pretty nice from what I saw, however, it wasn't completed yet. According to their website they are taking into consideration the heat and hard ground that summer months tend to offer so I think the courses will be shorter like training is 2000 meters etc.

I think it is great they are putting alot of effort into the footing i.e. aerating and irrigating (although we're supposed to get some T'storms). The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend - 80's :yes:

kiwifruit
Jul. 12, 2006, 06:45 PM
Well....if anyone is getting out early to walk the course on Friday, could you please post your thoughts on this thread? It would be helpful to get an opinion on the course before I make the long trek to the event on Sunday.

Shaq
Jul. 13, 2006, 08:57 AM
I will be walking it on Friday and will post my thoughts etc Friday ngiht

KellyS
Jul. 13, 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi all! I'll be there on Sunday. :) Was originally going to go Prelim, but felt like I really needed to do some additional homework before competing at that level again after our 1st Prelim in June. This will be a good check to make sure both of us are on the same page - we've had some really great lessons lately and I can't wait to get out there this weekend.

Anyhoo, my mom got me a digital camera for my birthday and if time permits, I'll try to get pictures of the Training and Prelim courses to post when we get back. The feedback I've gotten about Craig's courses is that they are a true test at that level, but I've not heard specifics about the questions on the MHT courses.

Does anyone know when times will be up today?

FrittSkritt
Jul. 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'll be there doing scoring, so stop by and say hi! (Tall blonde, will probably be looking sleepy all day. :))

asterix
Jul. 13, 2006, 12:34 PM
Ack! I signed up for the SECOND one, but there I am with times and all for THIS weekend, which I really cannot do (big work deadline, plus we are way not ready yet as I've been away).
I've sent an SOS to the secretary, but just in case...anyone signed up for the SECOND one (T) who might want to swap entries? (a girl can dream)

For what it's worth, times are up for this weekend on their website...

kiwifruit
Jul. 13, 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks in advance Shaq for some feedback. I'm particularly interested in any difficult training level fences such as ditches, trakenhers, water, bank combos and the venues for dressage and show jumping. I think everyone is curious to see what is going to occur!

kiwifruit
Jul. 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
Just went to their website to get times but still not listed? I went to horse trials and then times are not higlighted. Am I looking at the right place?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 13, 2006, 05:13 PM
Just went to their website to get times but still not listed? I went to horse trials and then times are not higlighted. Am I looking at the right place?

I had to play with it to get it to work--go to the main first page (the one with the picture of the dressage horse)

http://www.themarylandhorsetrials.com/mht/

--and it the links still are not showing then hit your refresh button. Should work.

kiwifruit
Jul. 13, 2006, 08:46 PM
okay...must be really stupid or computer is not allowing me to view the times. I clicked on horse trials above the dressage horse and then it takes me to a page that list other areas such as organizer, farm etc. The only two not hilighted are times and results. The suspense is killing me...

KellyS
Jul. 13, 2006, 09:01 PM
Hey Kiwi - Don't click on the horse trials link, instead, go to the main page and look for the text above the horse. "Times are up!" is one of the links on the main page and that will take you directly to the page of times. :)

witchy_brown
Jul. 13, 2006, 09:02 PM
dont click the 'horse trials' tab at the top of the page. Just got to

www.themarylandhorsetrials.com

And it should be right in the middle of the page with volunteer info and schedule

kiwifruit
Jul. 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
Okay.....I GIVE UP! Could someone post or send me my times? I'm not getting anything that says times are up. Name is Sandy Waltz and horse is Kiwi in training rider division.

Thanks

witchy_brown
Jul. 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
Waltz, Sandra 184 Kiwi STR/ 3
D: 9:12 AM
S: 11:28 AM
XC: 11:48 AM
missing: horse USEA #

kiwifruit
Jul. 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks Witchy! I still can't access the webpage. I tried two different computers and there is no link for start times. I wonder if it happens to be because of the server since both dial up to AOL. Anyway....any word on the venue?

BigRuss1996
Jul. 14, 2006, 08:40 PM
Waltz, Sandra 184 Kiwi STR/ 3 9:12 AM 11:28 AM 11:48 AM horse USEA #

Okay.....I GIVE UP! Could someone post or send me my times? I'm not getting anything that says times are up. Name is Sandy Waltz and horse is Kiwi in training rider division.

Thanks

Shaq
Jul. 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
Have to say this place reminds me of MENFELT. Take note you must hack over to the riding areas but well worth it. The dressage is on a slant- going down towards the dressage judge. All are like that. Each judge has a nice house to sit in. Stadium is very nice. They have worked on the footing and it felt good. There is a slight down hil area but nothing to make it hard. You do have to jump up the slant but overall very nice course. Plenty of room without being cramped or too big to get flying around :)

X/C is wonderful. Beatuiful field with SUgarload mt in the background. Overall I think the course is "soft" Very good move up courses. T/N do some of same fences. Training and prelim have ditch combinations. Training has about 7 strides before the ditch which is very small. Prelim has jump 2 stride to ditch to turn to roll-top 2-3 strides. These are the 5th fences. You then go into the woods and jump several nice fences there. Prelim has to come out and jump 2 fences then back track towards the woods and jump 2 fences. The water conplex could have some issues for prlim You come off left hand turn to a one stride into the water thru the water and out to a skinny. Training has a log into the water but there is not muc water in it so they will see gravel vs water. You could thru the water and jump a fences several strides out. The next complex towards the end is nice. Looks much harder than it is. Lots of blue stone there so some might look at that. We all jump a jump and then jump down a baby drop to 2-3 strides up a mini bank to another fence. For training there is a lot of room between things. Again its small and very doable. Prelim is a bit of challenge but again small so not so bad.

Overall a nice confidence building course. I think the issues can be everything is new with the blue stone so horses might take a look or slow down due to the change in footing. Jumps are inviting and looks like a lot of fun.

Again, add in the hack over to the riding areas. I am hoping they have ice water for us after x/c for the horses. You can not drive your rig but people can drive their cars etc over there. Hard for us who event alone. That is my main concern since its going to be so damn hot. Well it is July isnt it ?

Let me know if you want more info. Its a very nice place. Maybe like Menfelt they will get bluestone rings that are level in the future. Also, they have 100 p lus people working on everything from the courses to the roads. there are working hard to make this a nice event. I give them a lot of credit and imgaine in the years to come how great it will be. We are lucky to have another event in this area.

Just my 2 cents :)

witchy_brown
Jul. 14, 2006, 11:43 PM
Wow, thanks for the info! Sounds like a nice place!

Quick question, re: water. Is it a fence, one stride to edge of water, across water to a skinny? Or is it fence, one stride, drop into water, across to a skinny? Or fence, one stride, fence into water, across to skinny?

Haha, we have "water issues" so I always like to know what Im in for! :winkgrin:

kiwifruit
Jul. 15, 2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks Shaq! I can't wait to see it. I hope the hack/walk to cross country and stadium isn't too long. I'm going by myself and really can't unhook the rig...maybe I'll take my husbands bike! Good luck to everyone and thanks for those who found my times. I really hate AOL!

witchy_brown
Jul. 15, 2006, 07:56 PM
Hate to bump this up again, but am very anxious to hear what people that were competing today said about the event...

:)

Maybe
Jul. 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
I thought the event was very well planned and run for a new event. The day parking is a long way from the competition, but there were golf carts making shuttle trips. The entire place was aerorated........ all of stadium and even the dressage rings. Hoses at day parking for actual baths for hot horses. Ice at the end of stadium and x-c.

Secretary at the day parking as well as scores, so you didn't have to get back up top for information. I thought all courses were friendly and inviting but still offered enough questions to be challenging. I'm just glad I walked my courses the day before instead of trying to do it that day.:)

FrittSkritt
Jul. 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I was suprised at the hike the day competitors had to make up to the competition area.

Scoring for Prelim today was slow because the runners failed to get us all the XC jump score sheets in time... we (scorers) had about 3 or 4 "holes" in the master XC sheet and ended up waiting at least an hour before someone showed up with the rest of them so we could finish up and post the final placings. :mad:

isheventer
Jul. 15, 2006, 10:21 PM
Was there today. Looked like a really well run machine - a few minor hitches maybe. The water complex created a few issues for some Prelim horses, but look pretty straightforward for novice and training. I would say it would be a good move up for Novice to Training and from Training to Preliminary..
It sounded like the ditch and one of the fences in the woods created the most problems, and the some at the water.

They had a "cooling tent" with fan(s) and water between show jumping and x-country finish.

They might allow more trailers in (to the top) tomorrow since it is just Training going. Probably more of a hike for grooms/friends/helpers than riders but they did have shuttle service for people - It looked like horses could cut through the woods -

They had a bbq for competitors, volunteers , staff after the event today, don't know about tomorrow and would venture to say they will have again next weekend..

Usual vendors

All in all a very pleasant experience -

Carol Ames
Jul. 15, 2006, 10:37 PM
Do they still have the the trakehner off a right handed turn out ofthe woods itwas acrooss the ditch ,from the the table

Elliot
Jul. 16, 2006, 07:41 AM
I was there too yesterday in the prelim. It was my horse's second one, so I thought the course was perfect, some challenging questions without being too challenging.

The prelim water was a log with funny fishing boxes in front of it, one stride, over a log drop into the water, across the water, one stride on land and out over a moderately wide skinny. I think the tricky part was that the fishing boxes were quite spooky. If anyone has jumped at Sharon White's, they're similar to her dice.

Everything was great except that the parking was so far away. And the shuttles really dealt with that nicely. I was a little concerned that the dressage rings weren't totally flat, but once I got in there I didn't even notice. All the warm-ups were really nice and the footing was great everywhere.

The ice and water at the finish of x-c were great. Craig was there helping too, pouring ice into the water troughs.

All in all a very impressive event, especially since it's the first time.

kiwifruit
Jul. 16, 2006, 06:40 PM
Just got back from the event! What a HOT day! The dressage area is nice but on a slight slope. I wished I'd put some studs in to prevent slippage. Stadium jumping course was fabulous! A nice grass area with a variety of jumps. Training cross country is a good first time or move up. Lots of logs fences made into verticals, triple bars and oxers. They have a roll top seven strides out to a very small ditch. My horse didn't even notice it and stepped in it! The last combination was the hardest. It is a ramp fence several strides out to a bank with a log on the drop, down the gully, up a very small bank and out over a medium size vertical. For some reason as I approached the combination, the newness of the first element (the max ramp) startled my horse and I really had to drive him forward but other than that, it rode well. The water is really a non-issue. A small log into the water, then out. As other posters stated, all venues are far away from day parking but the shuttle was good and kept things running. This is a really nice event and I can't wait to go next year.

Carol Ames
Jul. 16, 2006, 10:11 PM
Whr was this heldt?:confused:

isheventer
Jul. 16, 2006, 10:28 PM
Adamstown Maryland - about 15 minutes outside of Rockville going towards Frederick.

It's probably not too far from Bittersweet Field where the Seneca Valley Pony Club does their event - about 20-25 minutes from there?, if you come from VA over Point of Rocks it would be quite close to there as well. A great location. I thought it was a great event and wished like heck I had entered my horse. I will say the parking was not ideal but they did the best they could and certainly took that into consideration by providing shuttle service for us humans, and also had a secretray/score board at the first parking area as well as at the top of the hill where the event is.

It will be interesting to see if they will make any changes for next weekend. I don't know if it has filled up or not yet - if you have any interest I would definitely recommend this event !

oreo
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:16 PM
It sounds like they have done a lot of waterig and aearating to make it work in July....

pegasusmom
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:18 PM
Where is stabling in relation to everything? We are headed that way next weekend - I take it that the fourwheeler should go on the trailer??

KellyS
Jul. 16, 2006, 11:49 PM
What a great event! :) We had a lovely day and while I was grumbling a bit yesterday on the drive down there (let's just say that severe thunderstorms, traffic accidents, and not being able to run the air conditioning in our truck [it's an older model and we don't take a chance of running the AC when we are hauling] for the trip down there made me contemplate why we do this somedays :lol: ), today reminded me of exactly why we do this - to have FUN! :D

So first of all, what a pleasure to meet COTHer ZEBE and her wonderful husband - Traveler overnighted at their farm and he couldn't have stayed at a more welcoming place. :) Mr. KellyS and I stayed at the Comfort Inn 10 minutes away and it was great to be able to get up 6 am this morning instead of 2 am!!! From ZEBE's farm, it was just a 30 minute drive to MHT.

It is beatiful countryside and the event set-up was very nice. Yes, the hack/drive from day parking to the rings/xc was a HIKE! I felt like we were climbing a mountain! And poor Mr. KellyS decide to bike the first time we headed up (for dressage) - needless to say, he ditched the bike at the top and we picked it up later. :lol:

Due to the "hike," we tried to minimize our trips to the "top." The first time we headed up there was for dressage and I walked stadium at the same time. The next time (to walk xc), we took the shuttle, and the third time (to do stadium/xc), Mr. KellyS took our truck up with extra water, buckets, et al. :)

Having the secretary and scoring at parking made life infinitely easier and the vendors/concession area that was up by the rings was very nice. I thought the footing was excellent, but of course, I love riding on grass! I used road studs all the way around for all three phases and those worked great.

Had a great dressage ride despite feeling really queasy and light headed before heading in the ring. I'm not normally a hot weater wussy, but even though I warmed up in shirt sleeves and didn't add the coat until right before I went in, I still wasn't feeling so great. But, I was happy with our test and even happier when I found out at the end of the day that we scored a 30. :)

The stadium course looked straightforward, but from watching the rides, it was tricky. Quite a few stops and bobbles...and we noticed a pile of broken rails at the side of the ring. I thought the toughest elements were the very tight bending line from 7 to 8 and then the triple on the "short" end of the arena.

The cross country course was beautiful! Everyone said it was riding well and it had lots of galloping space!

We had a great stadium round for us - Traveler lived up to his moniker "The One Rail Wonder," but he was VERY strong and turning seemed to be optional today ;) , so I wasn't complaining. And of course, I was feeling like jello, so I was also happy to just stay on. :winkgrin:

He was a rock star on XC! Same as in stadium - really, really strong, but after our bobbles at Plantation last month, it was great to feel him relish his job and really take (well, drag) me to the fences. He is always funny about jumping "into" water and while the Training log was very little and you didn't actually land in water, it did look like you would as you approached. But he launched right in and I certainly felt like he would have handled the Prelim water question just fine. :)

I think he came back quicker than I did after xc, but the only hitch in our getalong was that we were randomly selected for drug-testing which is certainly a first for me. Wasn't so bad, but we did have to wait around for an hour in the stall for Mr. Traveler to pee. Needless to say, we were the second to last trailer out at the end of the day by the time we got back to the trailer, packed up, iced and poulticed Trav, and headed out.

We finished up the day in 6th in the Open Training division on a 34 which I was really happy with. :) Nice to see all the stuff we've been working on come together. Hope everyone else had a fabulous time!

Pics are here (I got pics of all the Training jumps, most of the Prelim, and some Novice; still working on some of the captions, hence the ??):
http://community.webshots.com/photo/552312012/2080135210055731734hXjwYW

kiwifruit
Jul. 17, 2006, 05:47 AM
Hey KellyS! We were held as well for drug testing! I problably saw you at the tent while my modest gelding refused to pee in the cup! It seemed that they were really doing a lot of random drug testing that day. A first for me in all of my years in eventing I have to say I was a bit annoyed about the whole thing. They approached me right after stadium and wanted me to go to the tent right then and there. I pleaded with them for me to finish cross country since I was only 10 minutes away. Needless to say, after a hot day, all I wanted to do was to cool my guy out and drive the 3 hour drive to PA. After an hour waiting for my guy to pee, they finally let me go without a sample. I know this is why we pay that 16.00 fee in our entry, but why this event? Because it is a new venue? Not to highjack my own thread but has anyone else run into random drug testing at the lower levels?

blaster
Jul. 17, 2006, 05:59 AM
I Not to highjack my own thread but has anyone else run into random drug testing at the lower levels?

I know for DRPC Beginner Novice Champs (in August), the drug testing people are out in flotilla (3+ persons).

KellyS
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:07 AM
Ah...small world, but yeah, they were pulling all kinds of horses. There were three of us that were all pulled off cross country within a couple of rides and I saw them pulling horses all day! I was trying to keep a good attitude, but it was HOT, we had a four hour drive home ahead of us, and that extra hour of waiting around was not my cup of tea. But, whadda ya gonna do. As soon as the girl came up to me as I crossed the finish, I was really up front that my horse came first and that I was going to take my time cooling out before even thinking about going to the stall--she was rightthere on top of us while we were trying to sponge/ice him down and he responded by trying to slobber green slime all over her. :winkgrin:

On top of it all, I do give a gram of bute within the USEF parameters (which is what I also do before any jumping lesson or clinic due to Traveler's 22-year-old age), so I made sure they knew that up front and had it in the paperwork and I also filled out a USEF medication report with the secretary (another 20 minutes onto the ordeal) to make sure everything was on the up and up. The secretary says that in all the horse trials she's been at (she does Fair Hill and Surefire as well), that she's never seen them test Novice and Training level and due it with such a vengeance. Guess they wanted to prove that our USEF fees are actually put to use.

cweimer
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:49 AM
KellyS - thanks for pictures. It does look like a lovely venue!

So . . . this hike up the hill. Is it like Fair Hill? Better? Worse?

KellyS
Jul. 17, 2006, 07:16 AM
KellyS - thanks for pictures. It does look like a lovely venue!

So . . . this hike up the hill. Is it like Fair Hill? Better? Worse?

You're welcome!

The hike up the hill...makes Fair Hill look like a walk in the park! The hacking path for the horses was straight down a hill, through a gully, and then up a very long, steep vertical incline. I did it on foot coming back from xc and trying to walk back down that incline on foot was even worse. The shuttles, etc took the road out there which was longer and it still had a huge hill at the end.

If you are going next weekend and doing day parking, plan on riding the shuttles or driving a vehicle out there versus going on foot.

Pegagsusmom - the stabling is up by the competition rings, so you guys don't have to worry about the hike. Lucky ducks! :D

Carol Ames
Jul. 17, 2006, 09:27 AM
Ok, with thetalk about hills,I was thinking "Jacksons; Hole, the McTA course inHampstead (?) Where is this in relation toShips' Quarters?

curlykarot
Jul. 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
I was there on Saturday. Not competing, but helping out my trainer who had 2 novice horses going.

Overall impression - great land, great setting and I think they did a good job on Saturday running the whole thing. They got a little behind in Novice SJ in the afternoon but it seemed like everything else ran well.

When we got there we parked in the first parking area right by Park Mills Rd. (great entry at the driveway by the way - very big and wide so you had pleanty of room pulling in and out!) We had come prepared with another car so we didn't have to walk.

Getting the packets the secretary said that since she had 2 horses going we could go park up at the top. So we got lucky and parked up by stabling. Much closer!

Dressage was laid out great - although the judges backs were right against the vender area - but what can you do with only so much space?

I loved that they had water everywhere - they were even handing out bottled water to the humans in stadium warm up! They had bleachers set up under the trees so you could sit and watch. There were fans and water and ice set up between stadium and the start of cross country.

Cross country looked like a good test. You could tell that they had spent time on the footing but it was still a bit hard - unfortunatly its July in Maryland - thats what happens. Novice looked a little big to me but then again I haven't jumped a novice x-c course in a couple of years - lots of verticals.

I think this is going to be a really good event - judging from how everything ran the first day.

FrittSkritt
Jul. 17, 2006, 10:27 AM
I saw KellyS on XC while chatting with KateDB (who was fence judging). You two looked great! Wish I could have come by to say hi but I was already stretching it by leaving the scoring table for more than 10 minutes. ;)

Janet
Jul. 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
KellyS,
FWIW, I don't think that filing a D&M report AFTER you have been selected for drug testing will do you any good- you are supposed to do it as soon as you arrive on the grounds, typically when you pick up your packet.

BUT you don't need to file a D&M report for legal levels of bute, so it doesn't matter in this case.

But for future reference, if you have given something else- turn in the D&M when you pick up your packet.

I wasn't there- way too hot for me- but Sally won Novice with Gillian- they are moving up to Training next weekend.

Not bad for a horse that got round her first BN earlier this year (after NOT getting round at BN last spring).

MyMare
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know a little more about the novice course? I will be there this saturday. :) It sounds like a great event!!

KellyS
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
KellyS,
BUT you don't need to file a D&M report for legal levels of bute, so it doesn't matter in this case.

But for future reference, if you have given something else- turn in the D&M when you pick up your packet.

Janet, thank you so much for the information. I thought the same thing, but the testing people said I had to do a D&M report and I wasn't arguing with them. :) They said it was no big deal when it was filled out, that it just needed to be done sometime that day. But from what I gathered they really were not "up" on the USEF rules, at least the girl who selected us - I think I knew more about the rules than she did, but again, I just did what I was told since this was a first time for me and I wanted to make sure everything was done correctly. I certainly don't have anything to hide and I just felt it was easier to be up front right away with what might be in his system, especially since he's an older horse who might metabolize things differently than expected.

When I started to get irritated with the whole process, I just thought that I shouldn't be irritated about the drug testing, but irritated at people who drug their horses and make the testing necessary. Unfortunately, that is something that will never change. :no:

It's funny because I was even hesitant to post about the experience here, but figured that I learned a lot in the process and others would probably be interested to hear how it all works. Funny that there were two of us COTHers selected! :D

curlykarot
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:15 AM
I just found this video on the Frederick News Post Website of Training Show Jumping from Sunday ( I assume it was training) Take a look:

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display_NoAd.htm?storyid=50634

If that link doesn't work go to www.fredericknewspost.com and under local headlines there is a link that says [VIDEO] Maryland Horse Trials. Not really an article but a picture of my friend going training and then the video.

I assume it has sound but I don't have speakers on this computer (and I'm at work!) but the picture is great!

pegasusmom
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:33 AM
You're welcome!

Pegagsusmom - the stabling is up by the competition rings, so you guys don't have to worry about the hike. Lucky ducks! :D

yeah - but it balances out the 7+ hour drive we have to get there!:lol:

Thanks for all the info - sounds great!

witchy_brown
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:39 AM
Owww! Im excited for next week!

I will be in the prelim division, and looking at the course, we should hopefully have a better run this time ;) . Though, the ditch combo is still scaring me. That is what caught us out as Surefire, even through I have schooled many ditches between then and now without issues.

Did anyone happen to walk up to the P corner? Is it a "natural" log corner or a wooden portable one? Its har to tell from the pictures.

PS - hoofpix.com photographed. They are currently posting the saturday divisions if anyone wants to get a look at the courses close up.

Shaq
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
The ditch combo rode well. The ditch is very small. The corner in the woods are logs to make a corner- not solid and not big at all. It also rode well

witchy_brown
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
Another question:

Did you feel you had enough time to walk stadium/XC between your dressage test and the start of the jumping? Or did you walk before you started riding?

Im about 3 hours away and it would be *super* nice if I didnt have to get there 1.5 hours ahead of my dressage to walk XC/stadium.

KellyS
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
Another question:

Did you feel you had enough time to walk stadium/XC between your dressage test and the start of the jumping? Or did you walk before you started riding?

Im about 3 hours away and it would be *super* nice if I didnt have to get there 1.5 hours ahead of my dressage to walk XC/stadium.

My dressage ride was 9:52 and my stadium was 12:58 - I had plenty of time! I walked stadium as soon as I finished dressage, and then came back to do xc. Still had time after that to take a quick nap in the shade before getting ready to jump. :)

Another thing I wanted to add about the xc course is that I felt that hardest parts of the Training course were the elements that were *too* small...namely the ditch at 5B and the bank at 15C. Traveler didn't even try to jump the ditch - he jumped it with his front end and galloped through it with his back end because it was so shallow. And the bank was tiny - I was worried because you had that big ramp in, the drop, and then you had to make sure you didn't trip over the bank out - there wasn't enough height to really set them up and encourage them to jump.

It was a great course, but I would have loved to have a real half coffin or coffin, perhaps a few more related distances, and of course, full size banks and ditches.

Shaq
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:55 AM
You probably will have enough time as long as you dont have to take you horse back to the parking area. That might make it more difficult unless you have a helper who could take your horse back. If you do have to go back to the trailering area, grab a ride back to the show grounds- they have golf carts going all the time. Stadium and the X/C start are close together. Its a fairly short x/c course.

I walked the day before since I was only 10 minutes away.

RISHlover
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
Was a volunteer this weekend -judging from the start times it looks as though you have time between dressage and show jumping to walk the course. Its a great to view - even from where I was perched jumping judging I could see the water, and a few other jumps as well as what was happening in dressage and show jumping. The delay in the middle of Novice Show Jumping on Saturday had something to do w/ the EMT having to leave and apparently no one is allowed to jump anything w/o EMT on grounds. Announcer reassured everyone that will not happen again. On Sunday they took about a 20 minute break in showjumping for another course walk.

I thought they did a super job and you would never know this was their innaugural event. They also had a BBQ at the end of the day Saturday for volunteers, competitors and spectators - basically anyone left on the grounds .Am not sure if they will do same next weekend or not.
The stabling is at the top of the hill close to all the venues.

KellyS
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:59 AM
PS - hoofpix.com photographed. They are currently posting the saturday divisions if anyone wants to get a look at the courses close up.

The schedule on this Web site says they were at King Oak Dressage Days this weekend - am I looking at the wrong Hoofpix or did they photograph both? Didn't see any mention of Maryland Horse Trials. :confused:

witchy_brown
Jul. 17, 2006, 12:20 PM
haha, whoops!

I ment hoofclix.com

kiwifruit
Jul. 17, 2006, 05:54 PM
Wow! I did not know that you are allowed to give bute before an event. I always thought that was a no-no in showing. Is there a time frame when you can administer and quantity? I guess I should read up on my rule book! As for the knowledge of medication, I asked the leading vet since my guy is on a monthly dosage of estrone for weak stifles (I wanted to be upfront) but she did not know if it was legal or not. She said if he needs it and is prescribed by the vet, I need verification. Curious to know if any big riders were "randomly selected" for the drug test.

KellyS
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:22 PM
Well, you should read up on the drugs and medications page of the USEF Web site. ;) They've got a nice PDF file that outlines all the rules regarding therapeutic and forbidden substances. It's all about keeping your equine partner comfortable (ie older horse with mild arthritis), but NOT covering any lameness/illness up.

The only association I've shown under that had a "no tolerance" rule was AQHA and they've come in line with the USEF guidelines since then. The only time you absolutely have to watch what your horse is receiving is if you are competing at the FEI level - about the only things that are legal are water and feed/hay. :winkgrin:

When you think about what we ask our horses to do, and like my guy, some of them have been doing this a long time but still LOVE their job, it is only fair to make sure we utilize options to keep them happy and comfortable. It is just a shame that people feel the need to abuse them or use them to mask unsoundness - and that's why we have drug testing.

Okay, stepping off my soap box. :D

kiwifruit
Jul. 17, 2006, 06:27 PM
I totally agree with you KellyS! I wish I would have known more about the bute thing which would make my guy more comfortable as well. I'll take your advice and look up the file for future reference.

oreo
Jul. 17, 2006, 11:01 PM
I know for DRPC Beginner Novice Champs (in August), the drug testing people are out in flotilla (3+ persons).

That doesn't mean they will be back this year - I believe that was the first time Diff Run has ever been tested. I think randomness is part of their strategy. Which is exactly how it should be.....

Carol Ames
Jul. 18, 2006, 12:30 AM
Whose place is it?:confused:

cweimer
Jul. 18, 2006, 05:44 AM
Carol -

It's a new event, off of Rte 28 between Dickerson and Frederick. I believe the Mackintosh's own the farm; Craig Thompson is the event's organizer.

Whoever mentioned proximity is right, it's probably 20 minutes from Seneca / Poolesville.

JustJump250
Jul. 18, 2006, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know if we had to sign up to have the photographer take our pictures? I see a bunch of people who were in my division-but none of me:(

Firefox
Jul. 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
After an hour waiting for my guy to pee, they finally let me go without a sample. I know this is why we pay that 16.00 fee in our entry, but why this event? Because it is a new venue? Not to highjack my own thread but has anyone else run into random drug testing at the lower levels?

They were testing at Waradaca in June!

bambam
Jul. 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know if we had to sign up to have the photographer take our pictures? I see a bunch of people who were in my division-but none of me:(
Keep checking JustJump. They were at Surefire and were adding new riders each day afterwards. I did not sign up with them and they took pictures of me but I did not appear on the website for over a week I think.

kiwifruit
Jul. 18, 2006, 07:33 PM
Who is the photographer? Was there someone doing video as well?

KellyS
Jul. 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
Photographs are here:
http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/Highlands%20at%20Loch%20Moy%20Farm/209766

Don't worry if your pics aren't up yet - he is still loading them. :)

Here is Traveler. I love the expressions on his face!
http://hoofclix.smugmug.com/gallery/1682922/1/82581981

The videographer was EquiVu (www.equivu.com (http://www.equivu.com))
Even if you didn't sign up ahead of time, there is still a good chance they took video. I didn't sign up at Fair Hill, but they videoed all my fences. This time I signed up ahead of time - the DVD is $50 (for your whole xc ride) and it is well worth it. :yes:

Lori B
Jul. 19, 2006, 10:08 AM
Your pics are up, JustJump250, and they really rock. I really like this photographer's work. !!

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 20, 2006, 06:05 PM
Times are up for this weekend--finally! :D

(Who will be there on Sunday? I'm coaching a student who's in TR Division A...We'll be out walking the course sometime Saturday afternoon...I'm really looking forward to it--from the pix, the course looks *great* It's supposed to rain on Sunday :sigh:, but with the aeration, the footing should be fine.)

FrittSkritt
Jul. 21, 2006, 10:52 AM
I'll be manning the scoring table both Sat & Sunday...

asterix
Jul. 21, 2006, 10:55 AM
bambam and I should be there Sunday -- I'll take rain if it's cooler!!!
I'm in TRA and she's in TRB, I think...
I plan to walk the course TODAY if I can make it, so I am happy to post preview thoughts when I get home...

Lori B
Jul. 21, 2006, 11:00 AM
I'll be scribing for dressage all day Saturday. I'll try to write as neatly as I can. :yes:

Janet
Jul. 21, 2006, 11:17 AM
Times are up for this weekend--finally! :D

(Who will be there on Sunday? I'm coaching a student who's in TR Division A...We'll be out walking the course sometime Saturday afternoon...I'm really looking forward to it--from the pix, the course looks *great* It's supposed to rain on Sunday :sigh:, but with the aeration, the footing should be fine.)
Gillian is moving Sally up to Training on Sunday.

curlykarot
Jul. 21, 2006, 12:37 PM
I believe I will be there volunteering all weekend. Not sure what I will be doing yet, but I'll be around!

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 21, 2006, 04:17 PM
Good luck to bam bam and asterix--if you describe yourselves I'll keep an eye out for you! (Asterix, you'lle be in my student's division: she has a rather distinctive-looking Connemara/TB cross mare...solid light gray with black points, and only 14.3--but with an awesome jump on her. :D)

And FrittSkitt--you long-suffering volunteer--I guess we'll only see you on those ocassions when you "pop out from behind the scenes" to grab a beverage or something...but I'll keep an eye out for you, since I now know what you look like! :winkgrin:

I'll try to see if I can watch Gillian and Sally during one of their phases; good luck to them too! :)

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 21, 2006, 07:42 PM
So, asterix, please weigh in...what's your "verdict" on the course??

asterix
Jul. 22, 2006, 08:06 AM
Dr. D, my verdict on the course is that I didn't make it up there :( -- had a dog-vet-emergency that kept us up much of Th night and my Friday was slow and disorganized.
I'm going now, but I assume by the time I make it back to post lots of you will have gone up yourselves.
I'll keep an eye out for your student! Should be easy to spot! I will be towering over her on my giant bleached-out bay with 4 white socks (17.2, er, sort of warmbloody looking...)

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 22, 2006, 11:48 AM
Hey Asterix--well, we won't be up there until around 5 today to walk the course (just in time for the T-Storms, mosty likely! :sigh:)

I'll look around for your horse tomorrow--he sounds hard to miss as well! ;)

asterix
Jul. 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hi Dr. D --
well, first of all, while I was walking the course, Prelim got underway, and that was a total bloodbath! No falls that I saw, but a TON of run outs and refusals. Not sure if this is indicative of how hard Training will run, but...

I'll be interested to hear your take on the course. I thought it was very interesting, challenging -- requires the horse to be on the aids at a number of places. The half coffin is pretty straightforward (watch me come to woe there, but that'll be my fault -- it's certainly kinder than Rubicon's or Fair Hill's), but there is a turning question (9-10) that will need to be accurately ridden, the water requires straightness, and the sunken road may be tough, too. Some big fences, and airy fences in the woods that may be "looky"

SJ looks like it would set you up well for XC -- again requires some accuracy through the turns, and real straightness.

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
Asterix--I completely agree with your "course assessment"...(As we were walking it--in the pouring rain, of course :p--I was thinking "better her than me", in regard to my student! Both of our mares are *just* bumping up to Training Level, though hers has successfully completed one HT at T Level, whereas mine has not...yet! She's having stadium issues, not cc issues--but it's just as problematic...:sigh:) Anyway, I'm *SURE* you are not still up at this hour, but I'm going to try to spot you tomorrow and say hello...Good luck!

Lori B
Jul. 23, 2006, 08:02 AM
Hey folks, I scribed for dressage in ring 3 -- prelim & novice -- yesterday. And my hand is still sore! It's like writing an essay exam for 7 hours. But I saw many nice tests and lovely horses. I am curious how riders found the dressage rings, since ours was on a slight but definite downhill slope. Maybe they can grade those rings for the future too.

Does anyone understand why the vendors were stuck out by the road where they were unlikely to get much business? Other than that, it seemed like a lovely and well run event.

re: stadium -- asterix, I saw several Novice horses have a 'moment' before fence 3, running out when they saw that big round flower pot that had to be ridden around from 2 to 3. I only saw a few Novice XC competitors after I got done w/ scribing, and they all rode the sunken road uneventfully -- but at Novice, they didn't have to jump any of the fences around the road.

nowoncourse
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:35 AM
I was there on Sat in the NHA division on one of my student's ponies. The N sj was harder then the xc course... though riding the xc in the second down pour of the day did probably make it one of the hardest courses I've ridden....we were clean but had time penilties for going too slow (go figure). It got really dark back in the woods and the pony kept skipping her way over all the little streams that had been made by the rain (heehee). I have to admit I kind of help my breath to #7 since it was so dark and the fence was skinny and airy. Overall though I thought the course road fine.

I was wondering if anyone new what caused all the problems on the Prelim xc course? I heard a lot of stops at #3 but didn't know if it was the A or B element. Any other probelm areas? How did that picnic area ride (the A,B,C,D coming out of the woods)?

And I can't wait to hear the reports from today's T divisions. Good luck to all!

kiwifruit
Jul. 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
Curious to know if the training course differed from last weekends event. I thought I heard that it was going to be a bit more difficult but still a good move up course. I found last week's training compared to Fair Hill and Waradaca's pretty mild with an exception of a fence or two. Thought stadium was much more difficult than most of the courses in the area but nice to ride.

witchy_brown
Jul. 23, 2006, 01:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone new what caused all the problems on the Prelim xc course? I heard a lot of stops at #3 but didn't know if it was the A or B element. Any other probelm areas? How did that picnic area ride (the A,B,C,D coming out of the woods)?

Fence #3 was an A&B combination. It was a three stride bending line of narrow coordwood piles set between trees. It rode really well if you kept a SJ canter.

Fence #5 was an A,B,C coffin combination. From what I heard, it had quite a few stops at the first element. It was a BIG roll top set with a slight downhill slope and the ditch was off-set to the left with the third element, another roll top, off of a left hand bending 2 strides.

Fence #8/#9 was a BIG turning question that I heard gave some problems. Nice sized table thing to an almost 90* turn to a skinny cabin. You could jump #8, then circle, jump #9, but I guess the people who went straight through may of had some run-outs.

Fence #10 was the picnic table thing A,B,C,D combination. The terrain between A & B made it really difficult, and they were both BIG airy logs. A & B did not seem to ride well. Very rough and difficult to stay on a line to the B part. I think the C&D part was the hardest. If you had a rough ride through the A&B, it made it super difficult to go up to C&D confidently. They were two BIG brush logs set on one stride, but they were off set, so it was nearly like jumping 2 big skinny brush logs...coming away from the picnic area, out of the shade, and slightly downhill.

Last but not least, I think the water caught a bunch off guard. It was a spooky table thing to a fairly sharp left hand turn, over a log directly into the water and then out over a skinny bench. If you made it through the water, the bench had brush on either side, making the only visible part about a foot wide. Probably got a lot of run-outs.

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 23, 2006, 06:51 PM
Back from the lovely Loch Moy, where the footing held up *beautifully* after last night's rain storm, and the jumps were lovely! :D They worked very hard to shore up the chopped-up areas from yesterday (especially takeoffs/landings) with sand--they did a great job, and I didn't see a single horse slip today. (A few did yesterday, but that was during the brief heavy rain; the ground got really slick for a time!)

The hike was a bit of a pain, but the shuttle service helped enormously...

I got to meet asterix and her awesome big boy--hard to miss at 17.2 :eek:, and with 4 white socks! He had a nice dressage test and then jumped around the stadium course *easily* and stylishly (he had one rail, I believe, at the big blue square oxer--which a lot of people were having down...) I didn't see his cross country, but he obviously got around fine, and I *believe* they placed 4th in their division (but please correct me if I'm wrong. :p) It was interesting to hear about his past history from asterix, and he seems to be very happy with his "new career" as an event horse; he is absolutely adorable, and clearly enjoys his work! :)

My student's opinionated mare was a little "off her game" in the dressage, but wound up 5th with a 40% and change, and about 5 points out of first...I thought "Ah! A good "move-up position"--esepcially since the jumping phases are always where she is strongest anyway...However, never assume...:sigh: In stadium, she ran under the first vertical in the one stride in-and-out, adding a stride which there was no room for (my student got her to it perfectly, and she should have and could have jumped out of stride), and had a rail there (a panel, actually) I think it must have just looked strange to her somehow, since normally she is quite athletic and nifty, and *rarely* has a rail--or adds unnecessarily! Then she got a little strong, and as a result had the same blue oxer down that asterix did. (Asterix was funny when she came out of the ring after stadium--she was apologizing to her horse for something she thought she did wrong--not apparent to me--but it reminded me of myself! :lol:)

Anyway, my student was a bit discouraged (she has worked like a dog all year, has improved tremendously in the 2 1/2 years I've been working with her, and rode well today--all she's wanted to do is qualify for the AECs, and she has been SOOO close at each HT, all year--close enough to taste it! It's tough when you first move up, though, to encounter *no* glitches along the way...) On to cross country, where she's usually very strong. However, the mare is known to be ditchy, and she evidently had a bit of a "bee in her bonnet" today. (At the first 3 HTs this year before this one, she never looked *twice* at the ditches--but she was in a "middle-finger up mood" today...:p) So she started out great, and then got to the big rolltop to the ditch half-coffin. I had gone over how to ride it with her a number of times (and ditches in general, which we have schooled quite a bit), and from what I saw (from behind) she did everything right--but her ultra-handy, quick moving pony ducked out to the left at the ditch--at the very last moment! (She had her bat in her right hand--damn smart pony! :rolleyes:) She whacked her and tried to re-present, but the pony was busy running through her aids (knowing she had just been a VERY BAD PONY!), and would now HAVE to jump the dreaded ditch because mom was very mad *and* determined!, so she had a bit of a struggle--and the mare stopped again, despite my student's urgings. (And of course I'm watching from 100 yards away, along with said student's mom and her aunt and her brother, saying some "very unladylike things" :lol:--and praying that she would be able to get over it on the third try--and she did! Phew! Much relief from the peanut gallery, and on she went...:)) She was clean the rest of the way, and by the water complex (which my student rode aggressively and well), she was starting to get "untracked", and just tackled everything after that with aplomb. My student went through the last combination (sunken road), and rode it beautifully; her pony was foot perfect, and I was very pleased--especially since it had caused problems for many...:sigh: So 60 penalties later, we got to rehash and make plans to re-doubling our "ditch schooling efforts"...Sheesh! At least she completed, and IMO, that was a *tough* course for Training Level! Some challenging questions, and some BIG fences! (And a line in the woods that was *very* difficult to navigate! :eek:) I wouldn't call it a move-up course--my student finished double-clear at Surefire (her first Training), and I felt that *that* course was significantly more rideable and inviting as a first-time move up...

Anyway, we had a good (if somewhat frustrating) time, but when I looked at the score board, I realized that just about everyone had encountered some problems; had my student finished on her dressage score (which she often has in the past) she would have won the division! :eek: She wound up 8th--unfortunately they only pin to 6th. (A recent trend, it seems :frown:)

Anyway, it was a great day, weatherwise, and a good outing (and experience.) Plus, it was fun to finally meet asterix...:D

bambam
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:08 PM
I agree Dr. Doolittle- the folks at Loch Moy did a very nice job especially today dealing a dressage judge who never showed up. They had to scramble a bit on that one.
I am sorry I missed meeting you Dr. D- I am sure I saw you without realizing it since I was with asterix right before and after her stadium (and I agree with you- what asterix thought she did wrong was not apparent to me either :) and she did end up 4th)).Maybe I can meet you next time :)
I am sorry your student had a tough time, it was not exactly our best day either. I was much happier with my dressage test than the judge was- which is fine, I am still happy with it. The one thing about dressage that I am peeved about is that the judge wrote on my test that I should wear a hair net for a neater appearance- now aside from the fact that I think I did present a pretty neat appearance (yes I had some wisps but it was just a few wisps that slipped out, I was wearing my jacket (had been waived but I think it looks better), my breeches, boots, etc. were clean, my horse was sparkling clean and braided and my tack was clean) I think that comment had no place on my test and it should not have been written in my cumulative rider comments- that should not have been on her radar at all IMHO.
Not real happy about our stadium though- my horse wanted no part of fence 3, would not even go near it on first presentation and refused a second time before she would do it. Not sure why since it was the fence and not the pot of flowers she was wigging at. We officially have a stadium problem now- we used to do fine but we are having problems at shows and at home now :sigh: Got some work to do I guess.
Thank goodness x-country was awesome. She was great and I feel like I rode it well - and I don't think it was an easy course- not really hard, but not an easy one so I feel pretty good that that went well. Dang it is hard to have 3 good phases in one day :D

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 23, 2006, 09:30 PM
Bambam--yes, indeed! :yes: I very much agree with your comments, both on the "inappropriately preoccupied with trivial matters dressage judge"...Good grief! :rolleyes:; and on the fact that it is *so* difficult to put together 3 good phases on the same day. (Especially if you have a mare! You know what they say: "If you want to ride a different horse every day, buy a mare!" :lol:) In any case, I too am struggling with a mare who is suddenly having "mental meltdowns" in stadium after having been bumped up...:sigh: (Which is why I plan to go to all 3 remaining Rubicon Tuesday night jumper schooling shows...if anyone else goes to one of those, I'll be the one with the fiery chestnut mare and the young blonde girl--my daughter--serving as my long-suffering groom/videographer...:p)

I wish I had bumped into you, but maybe next time...:)

I was actually going to post a query about the incredible disappearing dressage judge...Does anyone know what happened to Betty Thorpe?? Apparently she didn't leave a cell phone number, and they were desperately trying to reach her/find a replacement at the last minute...I hope nothing "dire" befell her! :eek:

asterix
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:09 AM
OK, apparently Betty Thorpe is fine, but just didn't know she was supposed to come back on Sunday. Phew!

Dr. D, I'm sorry the wee one was such a pill at the ditch! Your student needs a taller horse -- the big ones have a better shot at *seeing* the ditch over the roll top :lol:

I *was* apologizing to my guy after stadium -- I was riding like a ding dong, as we are working on changing my style and I'm not quite there yet. He is such a good egg that he diligently tries to do what I am asking, even if I am mumbling contradictory things!

I wish I'd read Lori B's post about stadium before I rode it -- coming round to 2 I guess he saw the flower pot on the other side, and took a BIG look -- so we had a very unlovely line to 3. That sequence caught a lot of folks out and it was pretty tough to have it so early in the course.

XC was not, I don't think, really mild -- the sunken road, for example, had 3 strides after the ramp, to a bigger drop in (compared to the week before), so although it rode really well, if you had issues coming in, you had much less time to sort it out. Plus I would be very interested to know if the turning question 9-10 was on the first course -- that was NOT an easy question for training. The water, although small, was tricksy! I saw several people have a tough time getting out over the angled green boxy thing. It was a nice good solid training course, I thought. It sounded like it was riding better than Prelim, but I haven't seen the scores, so perhaps I was just not hearing the problems.

It was really fun to meet Dr. D, and the event is a nice one that we will go back to. The hack from trailers to competition can be problematic -- I had one front shoe, and going up that muddy slope was NOT fun for him. Then got to the top to discover that the farrier had just been called DOWN the hill...ended up with a 6 minute dressage warmup, which didn't result in our best test ever....but this is eventing! All is redeemed if XC goes well, and he was absolutely wonderful out there, acting like a real live grown up event horse. What a nice feeling that is!

Dr. D, can your student qualify for AECs at any of the remaining HTs? What's she signed up for?

Lori B
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:17 AM
Asterix, the day that experienced riders find my observations regarding a jumping course useful is a red-letter day for me. Thanks! Sorry you didn't see my note before your horse got an eyeful of the Evil Flower Pot.

FrittSkritt
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:24 AM
The dressage judge is fine; apparently the secretary accidentally called the wrong number telling her they'd need her to judge tomorrow and left a message on some other person's machine! So the judge had no idea she was needed and was out riding her horses while they desperately tried to get ahold of her.

I saw one bad fall on fence 9 (Produce Stand) on the training course - one girl's horse just lost his footing and slid onto his side (MR), but the rest of the people seemed to go through OK.

InVA
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:24 AM
Here I go "outing" myself. I was the starter for xc on saturday. And rode in the T yesterday. I thought the xc had a lot of problems...lots of stops, E's etc. I feel sorry for the people that had to ride in the downpour on Saturday! ugh! At least it was cool with no bugs, eh?

I haven't read this thread yet but did anyone ever hear from Betty Thorpe??

InVA
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:25 AM
DUh, I shouldn't have read the previous post! I think they handled the lack of a judge really well. All in all I thought it was a great event. and run really well.

asterix
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:25 AM
ok, I'm a geek, but I just compared KellyS' pics of week 1 to week 2...
Week 2 had
* fence 3 was 3A-3B -- bend right to jump the out (visible in Kelly's pic but not flagged) -- smallish, but a bit more of a bend than I thought it would be
* rolltop MUCH closer to ditch -- down near where Prelim rolltop was
*fence 7 different -- in woods, but just around the corner from 6, and I think was bigger (although very inviting)
*then for fence 8 we went straight out the woods towards the parking over a big produce stand, wide sweep back to woods over a coop for 9, HARD left turn to your #9, numbered 10 for us
*approach to water looks similar -- the little log in was raised up higher (although still very small) to make a little "hanging log" effect, and I _think_ the out was closer to the water (2 strides off the bluestone)
*after the water our #14 was your #14 big triple bar, not the zigzag you had (cool fence!)
* sunken road I think the only change was that our ramp was 3 strides from the drop.

Very interesting! So similar tracks, but bumped up a notch for the second week. Did anyone do both?

Moody Mare
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:44 AM
QUOTE: I saw one bad fall on fence 9 (Produce Stand) on the training course - one girl's horse just lost his footing and slid onto his side (MR), but the rest of the people seemed to go through OK.[/QUOTE]

That was my daughter and her horse(mare). It wasn't a bad spill after fence #8, just the horse doesn't wear shoes and she took the turn before the prelim house instead of after, and that was a bit too slick. They are both OK thank goodness! She retired because she was more concerned with her horses health and safety.

Looks like it's time for shoes and studs. :-( UGH

asterix
Jul. 24, 2006, 10:53 AM
Moody Mare, I'm not sure she needs shoes and studs because of that if she's never had problems before -- I was walking the T course during Prelim the day before, and watched just how HARD it was for the Prelim folks to make the turn to their second jump. I decided it would be WAY too difficult to try and make that turn, and rode around the rope. I am not sure I would have been as certain if I had not seen the prelim riders there, so I'd say she just made an overly ambitious attempt at turning -- I asked Craig if they were going to move the rope for Training, and he said no, so it seemed clear that they intended the Training horses to go all the way around...

Glad they are ok! That's scary stuff!

Lori B, if you had seen my stadium round, I am not sure you would call me "experienced" :lol: -- but I think having a good eye, and seeing where problems are, is a great skill, and not one you can only get by riding at Rolex -- you called it exactly right!

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
Good news about Betty Thorpe! :)
(Kinda troublesome for the organizers, but I guess they worked it out...I'm wondering: was the "sub" judge the one who scolded bambam for her "wisps"? :p)

asterix--yeah, a taller horse would have been "better prepared" for the second half of the half coffin, but OTOH, *this* mare (who is ditchy when she FEELS like it! :rolleyes:) would have probably stopped in mid-air over the rolltop upon seeing the ditch, considering the mood she was in yesterday! :p)
And congrats to you and your boy! :D (It cracks me up that you refer to him as "the little one"--apparently asterix has an even bigger Irish horse at home! :eek:!)

And yes, I saw many horses kind of "gawk" at the flower pot between fences 2 and 3 in stadium--an interesting placement (which ensured that you had no choice but to ride around it, and make the line between the two more of a broken than bending line)--however, the horses who went "WTF?!?" then had more of a problem getting back on track and straight to number 3!

Asterix, thanks for the comparative analysis of the 2 HTs--that's interesting! And I would also be curious to hear from someone who had done both...

InVa--in future you'lle have to identify yourself to other COTHers so that we can say howdy! :p It sounds like you had the catbird seat on Saturday--how did the Training course ride for you?

Moody Mare--yikes! That must have been scary! Thank goodness they're okay (I'm assuming...?) My mare and my student's mare (the one who competed yesterday) are both barefoot--normally they have excellent traction, but I was sufficiently concerned about the footing (after walking the course in a downpour on Saturday) to run out and check it on Sunday--luckily it was *much* better! (It guess there were still some slick spots though...:sigh:) My rationale for not shoeing my horse (who is 8 and who has never worn shoes) is that she's surefooted (and never slips), on just about every type of footing, and if it's *really* muddy and slick, I will just scratch. I'm taking her down to the AECs this year, but with the footing being sandy soil, I'm not worried--wet or dry, she should be fine. :) (I figure if I get her up to Prelim at some point, I will have to "bite the bullet", but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...)

Asterix--alas, my student hasn't entered anything before Difficult Run at the end of August, and the qualifying period will close before that. Rats! :sigh: (She's more deserving than *I* am, IMO, but the one upside for me is that she and her mom wanted to go anyway, so have offered to haul my horse down there in their rig, and also serve as my "team"...:) Also, she's 30 years younger than I am, so has *many* years of competition ahead of her; I, OTOH, am at the end of my competitive years--tired, full of athritis, and physically banged up--so this may be my last opportunity before I "retire"...Plus, even if I do manage to qualify again next year, I have no desire to drive to Illinois! :p)

bambam
Jul. 24, 2006, 11:26 AM
That is a rough break for your student Dr D- any chance she can try to sneek into Waredaca? Is that in time?
Well- I will get my second chance to meet you at AECs since asterix and I are planning on going (whispering this so the soundness gods don't smite me for saying it out loud like they did last year ;) ). We obviously qualified before our fun new spate of stadium jumping problems started :lol: Better get those sorted out by then.
And yes the judge drafted to be Betty Thorpe's replacement was the wisps judge :) She was supposed to be the stadium judge but they drafted her for dressage and the secretary acted as the stadium judge.
If I can finnagle the time off work, I will try to hit the Rubicon jumper shows as well. The practice will no doubt help :yes: .
Glad your daughter is okay moody mare.

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 24, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hey bambam--re: the stadium issues, you must be my "Karma Twin"! :lol: That's great that I will be seeing you guys (SSHHH!) down in Raeford...(Mr. Dr. D. and I were talking "AEC logistics" last night--Yeesh! :rolleyes: I coached a student there last year so am at least familiar with the layout, but bringing a horse--and especially making arrangements for hubby and daughter and animals left at home--is producing stressful complications! :p)

That's TOO funny about the judge! (and I know who you're talking about--I overheard the secretary talking about using her as a replacement--something that I had myself thought would be a practical solution, since she is a dressage judge--but happened to be the stadium judge at this HT...My student and I were afraid that she would get her, since she gave my student the *worst score she's ever received* at Surefire--for a pretty nice test, IMO! And complete with *nothing* but negative comments! :eek: :rolleyes:...Anyway, "'nuff said"...;))

InVA
Jul. 24, 2006, 03:27 PM
Next time I'll say hi! I guess I'm just shy !HA!

The Training course was great I thought. My horse is confirmed at Prelim. We just haven't competed in more than a year, with me just focusing on my
J-O-B! ugh! So we're going Training a few times to get back in the groove. Anyway, Yes -The footing was perfect! The horse in front of my stopped at the first fence on xc so I told my horse "don't you do that!" hah! (he didn't!) He DID however nearly stop at the bank down in the sunken Road! I was tired at the end of the course and he sort of jumped 15A on his forhand (yes I do know better!) and then GAWKED at all the stuff to look at ! I said no way and kicked him HARD and he LEAPT halfway across the sunken road. I landed on his neck and was still on his neck when he jumped up the back -boing! which at least tossed me BACK into the tack so I could sort of aim him at 16B which he pretty much jumped with me still trying to pick up my reins! Too funny. what a good boy! He showjumped clear too and ended up winning his division! I can't wait to see pictures of us at the sunken road!

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 24, 2006, 06:13 PM
OMIGOD, is he a chestnut?? If so, I saw your "sunken road adventure"--it *must* have been you, based on the description...either that, or someone else had an *identical* experience! :p

piaffeprincess98
Jul. 25, 2006, 06:34 AM
I'll be going to the cross-country schooling today, I'm actually off in half and hour. I'm excited to see how the course looks. From the descriptions here it sounds cool.

InVA
Jul. 25, 2006, 10:16 AM
OMIGOD, is he a chestnut?? If so, I saw your "sunken road adventure"--it *must* have been you, based on the description...either that, or someone else had an *identical* experience! :p

YES! He's a chestnut with a stripe on his face! haha! My friend (Cinnabar on this forum) told me she saw the photos on the Palmer video site ! HA!

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
Hey InVa (I just sent you a PM, BTW...I tried to respond to yours yesterday, but COTH kept blocking my attempts! :rolleyes:)

SO that *was* you--nice save! :D

I think I was actually talking about it with asterix, since the announcer didn't seem sure (at first) whether you got through clean or not--I assume he was waiting for confirmation from the jump judge...the rule is that a "standing jump" or a "jump from a standstill" is allowed at obstacles without height, or those (as asterix pointed out) that are 18 inches or less...(I was half expecting them to run out there with a measuring stick and measure the little log at the drop...:p)

Anyway, congrats on your win! :)

So, bambam--will you be able to sneak out of work early to come out and play at Rubicon tonight? (I actually wish that I could go school cross country at Loch Moy first, and then hit Rubicon on the way home for a couple of stadium rounds...That might "chill the Princess'es jets" a bit...:p However, I don't have a ground person--just my daughter--and she doesn't want to walk over hill and down dale with a camera and cell phone and drinks...and THEN go to Rubicon and help me there! Poor kid...she had to be born to a horse-nut mother...;))

InVA
Jul. 25, 2006, 11:49 AM
Dr. Doolittle I sent you a PM

bambam
Jul. 25, 2006, 01:21 PM
So, bambam--will you be able to sneak out of work early to come out and play at Rubicon tonight? (I actually wish that I could go school cross country at Loch Moy first, and then hit Rubicon on the way home for a couple of stadium rounds...That might "chill the Princess'es jets" a bit...:p However, I don't have a ground person--just my daughter--and she doesn't want to walk over hill and down dale with a camera and cell phone and drinks...and THEN go to Rubicon and help me there! Poor kid...she had to be born to a horse-nut mother...;))
I wish. Not only will I be stuck at work until late, but my mare's hind legs have both puffed up a bit (I think just a reaction to mild scratches and the humidity and a result of the fact that she suffers from hyper-sensitive, high maintenance chestnut mare princess syndrome) so she is getting at least a couple of days off.
Have fun tonight!

Lori B
Jul. 25, 2006, 01:26 PM
"hyper-sensitive, high maintenance chestnut mare princess syndrome"

There are a couple of those at my barn too.....wonder if it's in the veterinary journals. :-) Hope her scratches clear up soon.

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 25, 2006, 02:56 PM
OMIGOD!! :lol: :lol:

Though my mare isn't hyper-sensitive in terms of skin-related stuff (she is only *half* TB; the other half is warmblood :), she *definitely* fits the bill in terms of the "high-maintenence chestnut mare princess" syndrome...:lol:

(And hmmmm...they are both having similar "Stadium issues" at the same time?? :p We should form our own cliche, methinks! ;))

Good luck with her swelling/stocking up--my Princess gets that once in a while, but it always goes away without issue...Bummer, though! (We *must* plan to meet at the next one--if you can manage to sneak out of work--and "compare notes"...)

blaster
Jul. 25, 2006, 03:39 PM
Photos are up:

Gary Knoll: www.photosofme.com
Palmer Video: http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?search

piaffeprincess98
Jul. 26, 2006, 07:14 AM
So I went to the schooling yesterday and was literally the only person there. That's odd. I've never seen absolutely no one at a schooling. I had the whole thing to myself!

bambam
Jul. 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
"hyper-sensitive, high maintenance chestnut mare princess syndrome"

There are a couple of those at my barn too.....wonder if it's in the veterinary journals. :-) Hope her scratches clear up soon.
Don't tell the princess that she is not one of a kind- she would be mortally offended by the insult :yes:
That syndrome must be documented in medical research- it is very real and apparently very pervasive ;)
Dr D- yes we must try to meet if I make it to the next one. Did you end up going on Tuesday?

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 27, 2006, 11:22 AM
:lol: :lol: Yes indeed--they all consider themselves "special"...:p

Yes I did get to Rubicon on Tuesday; the show was a little smaller than it had been last time, so I had to pretty much tack up and warm up shortly after I got there (at around 5:45...) I did one Novice and two Trainings, and my Princess got progressively better each time (I did the same thing I had done at the last one: lots of halting and circling between fences, and just a lot of "calming and mentally re-grouping her" between lines and during my trips--each course took me 3-4 minutes to complete! :p They had two combos in the Training courses--one was a two stride to a two stride, and the other was a one stride to a one stride...the spacing was conservative, which was a good thing. They had several roll-back turns, bending lines, jumps right off corners--and the last line in the Training and Prelim courses (there was only one lone guy who did Prelim), consisted of a jump off left lead about 3 :eek: strides from the corner; then 4 strides bending left to a panel, and then bending *right* (about 4-5 strides) to another vertical. It was a good challenge of balance and rideability, as well really riding your line. (It reminded me of what we did at a Lucinda Green clinic...:)) I went deep into the corner and took the first fence at an angle right to left--which put me on a good line to number two on landing--then used an opening right rein over the second fence to get the right lead, and get the line to the third. Luckily my mare had become much more rideable by the third "go", so did it easily and well. :D (If I had tried that the first time, she probably would have gotten quick and would have blown through my aids--I just wish they allowed a "warmup trip" at Horse Trials! :p) Anyway, it was a good riding challenge, I thought! The fences there are never "maxed out", which helps--but I think they want the courses to be confidence builders, and they tend to have more technical questions, rather than simply big, honking oxers...:D

As before, I brought some ice cold Coronas for Sheryl and the "crew"--which were much appreciated! ;)

So, are you going to try to get to the next one??

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 27, 2006, 11:23 AM
And how are your mare's puffed up ankles??

Carol Ames
Jul. 27, 2006, 06:06 PM
Piaffe princess! greart pics! fromMorvenPark!:yes: Got my blood up!;) :yes:

Carol Ames
Jul. 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
I'm impressed ! You guys rereally going out, and schooling! plus competing , too bad yo wuerem't around 12 years ago when I neededesperatelyto school , and, no one to go wih me.badtiming - ugh1:( story of my life:o !

Maybe
Jul. 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
Are we ever going to see results posted from the second horse trial???

InVA
Jul. 28, 2006, 02:21 PM
Still no results from the 2nd horse trials...

asterix
Jul. 28, 2006, 02:35 PM
erm, I just got results emailed to me in an xcel file -- guess they are having trouble with their website....

InVA
Jul. 28, 2006, 03:13 PM
can you post them here?

asterix
Jul. 28, 2006, 05:35 PM
I don't think I can post an xcel spreadsheet as an attachment, can I? If I can, someone let me know!!! Otherwise, I think maybe your best bet is to email them...not sure why I got it!