PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Prado

HorseSoGreen
May. 21, 2006, 12:17 AM
Does anyone know how to send thanks to Edgar Prado? His strength and intelligence saved Barbaro today.

RZ
May. 21, 2006, 12:19 AM
HorseSoGreen, you have a PM.

charlieo
May. 21, 2006, 12:34 AM
I'd like to know, too, if someone knows.

Kenike
May. 21, 2006, 01:02 AM
Same here....

17handtb
May. 21, 2006, 03:03 AM
If someone would not mind sharing Mr. Prado's contact information via PT, I would appreciate it. He has long been my favorite jockey for his grace and dignity and modesty, not to mention his skill and kindness to his horses. All of that admiration has skyrocketed tenfold now. :sadsmile:

annikak
May. 21, 2006, 07:16 AM
I can only hope he knows in every fibre of his body that what he did was very impressive and his skill was what prevented anyone else getting hurt and Barbaro having further damage.
Like an earlier poster, his personality shine thru when he is interviewed, and he appears to be a lovely man. I can only imagine what it is like- and that is horrifying. Maybe if someone knows him , they can get this thread to him.
Very impressive riding- such a horrible ending-

RunForIt
May. 21, 2006, 07:29 AM
:( I was watching the race with friends, and was shocked, dismayed, and saddened by Barbaro's injury, his breakdown...as we watched the replay of Prado getting that colt stopped, almost holding him off that leg, I told our non-horsey friends they had just witnessed one of the most intelligent, difficult athletic feats - under the most gut-wrenching circumstances - that they may ever see. I hope that in the days to come Edgar Prado knows that there are many of us out here who admire and thank him for being a horseman. :sadsmile: Prayers for that lovely, courageous colt; wish that Woody could send him a letter...

Mega Rock
May. 21, 2006, 07:36 AM
Anibal Prado, who is Edgar's brother, rides at Philly Park. If I am there in the next week, I will pass it along!

captain
May. 21, 2006, 08:38 AM
oh please do!! from all of us! a most impressive feat of athleticism, integrity and heart, on both parts.

War Admiral
May. 21, 2006, 08:40 AM
Yes, from me as well. There really are people who make me proud to be a horsewoman. Edgar Prado is one.

Fairview Horse Center
May. 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
Edgar Prado did an amazing job of balancing Barbaro while pulling him up, and kept him on his feet while the whole pack raced past. He gave him a chance to live, and kept it from being an even more horrible day for all at Pimlico.

Magnifico Road
May. 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
I know a track vet who can pass along all of your sentiments to Edgar. I have an idea - if everyone keeps posting their thoughts and kudos here, I will print the whole thread out and have it handed to Edgar. (Unless you prefer to write a personal letter outside of this format, of course.) But I think it would be amazing for him to see all of our thoughts this way compiled on a COTH thread!

HorseSoGreen
May. 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
Great idea. Please tell everyone over on the H/J board, too, to start a Prado thread. Everyone over there feels the same way we do.

War Admiral
May. 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
Better to refer them over here...???

Tory Relic
May. 21, 2006, 09:32 AM
I was watching with my husband. We are both very impressed by Prado's skill in balancing and stopping Barbaro. We have witnessed the actions of a true horseman and a credit to racing. Please pass along our sentiments as well as our hopes and prayers for the speedy healing of Barbaro and best wishes for his future as a stud.:cry::cry:

Ladybug Hill
May. 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
Yes, a truly impressive, talented, and compassionate man. His despair was the most touching to me. He and MM obviously were grieving for the poor horse's pain.

Equit8tor
May. 21, 2006, 09:35 AM
I stand in awe and admiration of the man. Yesterday, he was far more than a jockey. His caring and bravery were undeniable. What an upstanding individual and one I would be honoured to meet. Thank you Mr. Prado for all you did for Barbaro yesterday, and for all you obviously are.

SimplyIdle
May. 21, 2006, 09:43 AM
I normally just lurk here on the racing forum, but I just had to say something about the excellent riding yesterday, especially if it is going to go right to the source!

Edgar - You were fantastic! Your athletic ability and your compassion were evident and I, along with so many others, can not thank you enough for saving Barbaro's life.

monstrpony
May. 21, 2006, 09:45 AM
Mr. Prado, you have my profound respect and admiration. In a moment when one can only work on instinct and training, you showed yours to be of the highest caliber.

Thank you for the good job you did, that will give that poor horse a chance.

Betcj
May. 21, 2006, 09:45 AM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Mr Prado. Bravo.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

17hTBmare
May. 21, 2006, 09:47 AM
Mr. Prado, I hope you find some comfort in the fact that you performed an heroic act in pulling up Barbaro. We are all thinking of you with deep sympathy for your loss and admiration at your skill and courage.

excowgirlie
May. 21, 2006, 09:52 AM
The prayers and thoughts of everyone who has ever loved a horse are with Barbaro and his "posse'", and a special "Kudos" to Edgar for his ethics and cool head..it is terrible that all those people close to this amazing horse have to go through tragedy, and please know we are all jingling like mad for him to pull through!~

EBO
May. 21, 2006, 10:00 AM
Thank you from California for what you did for Barbaro . That you were able to keep your head and use your skills saved him. I hope that his surgeons can do as well. Blessings to you, Barbaro, Mr. Matz and Barbaro's owners. Hundreds of thousands of people are praying for that great horse.

aahunterjumper
May. 21, 2006, 10:03 AM
Mr. Prado showed his horsemanship yesterday. We all thought - and hoped - it would be from an impressive, well-timed stretch run. Instead, his quick action and skill gave the injured Barbaro a chance. Every time I see the replay, I marvel at his ability to pull him up and balance him. If I had a racehorse, I'd want him on mine.

stephjm
May. 21, 2006, 10:04 AM
Yes, it was an amazing act of athleticism and horsemanship on Edgar Prado's part to pull up that big horse from a dead run and give him a chance to save that leg. What an awful thing to have to go through. :( Jingling and praying like mad here that Barbaro will recover and Mr. Matz, Mr. Prado, the surgeons and assistants at New Bolton, and his owners and all the assistants, grooms, etc. will have the strength to help Barbaro through this and heal themselves as well.

ghazgal
May. 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
Mr. Prado, Please know that we are thinking of you and Barbero every minute. The skill and horsemanship that you showed us is incredible. We send you our very best wishes.

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 21, 2006, 10:08 AM
Mr Prado, there are thousands of horse people out there, and thousands of racing fans, who want to thank you from the bottom or our hearts for the amazing job you did with Barbaro during that very sad race. Thank you so much for having excellent instincts, a cool head and sincere compassion for Barbaro. You have my respect and admiration. Thank you!

Utah
May. 21, 2006, 10:11 AM
Thank you to Edgar, your everyday bravery and skill have been exceeded by what was shown in helping Barbaro. God bless you, and all Barbaro.
Got to stop typing now, can't see through these tears...

Levi's owner
May. 21, 2006, 10:12 AM
Mr. Prado,
We all know that high performance athletes (human and non-human) suffer injuries. That is just the way it goes. However, as a horse runs on adrenaline, they can't always register the pain right away.

You are Barbaro's angel. You were his fourth leg, you were his registry for pain, you were UNBELIEVABLE. Thank you for giving Barbaro a chance.

circusponydreams
May. 21, 2006, 10:13 AM
Another note of thanks and admiration for Mr. Prado. Thank you for the tactful, skillful ride that was the best thing you could do for Barbaro.

libgrrl
May. 21, 2006, 10:18 AM
Sr. Prado,

Your efforts to save Barbaro were truly admirable.

You did your mama proud...

TL
May. 21, 2006, 10:31 AM
I just realized that I rarely hear of jockeys referred to as 'horsemen.'

Mr. Prado, you defined the word yesterday doing your absolute best by Barbaro.

Our thoughts and best wishes are with you,

hopashore1
May. 21, 2006, 10:31 AM
Sr Prado,
I am in awe of everything you have done in racing. You have a talent with horses that is incredibly rare and gifted, and I know that nothing that happened in the Preakness yesterday was your fault. You would have pulled Barbaro early if he felt wrong. You would have pulled him if he felt wrong after the false start. The horse took a bad step, as many horses do, and unfortunately, this was a great one. Your skill and ability to pull him up in the middle of the pack when he so obviously wanted to run is truly an awesome feat, and a testament to your skill and quick reactions. You kept him balanced and off of that right leg, kept him from running any further than he did. Had he gone even another yard or two, who knows the damage that could have been done. While his racing career is over, your actions mean that he has a chance to spend his life at stud. Prayers and well wishes are coming from all over not only to Barbaro, but also to you, for the horrible experience you have underwent.

Thank you for everything

flogarty
May. 21, 2006, 10:32 AM
Mr. Prado,

I admire your strength and courage in the face of tragedy. Your compassion for Barbaro is what makes you and him a formidable team.

onetempies
May. 21, 2006, 10:37 AM
I'm in awe of the skill used to bring Barbaro back to a halt from a dead run. Amazing indeed! Please know that we're all thinking of you and the rest of Barbaro's family during this time.

Arcadien
May. 21, 2006, 10:43 AM
The first thought that came to mind after the shocking realization that he was hurt was - oh please hold him, please be able to pull him up... and you got him to a halt sooner than I could dare to hope, and I was flooded with relief for a moment - thanks to you, today I can glean some comfort thinking, they did everything possible for this horse, from the first second they knew something was wrong, and they are going to keep doing everything possible for him....

Bless you, I can't imagine the strength it took to do that so quickly. You are my hero today, sir.

Regards,
Arcadienne

peskee
May. 21, 2006, 10:47 AM
You did everything right!!!! Do not think otherwise even for a second.....God Bless you for having the quick reaction that you did....you are a true horseman and hero!!!!!!

VirginiaBred
May. 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
Huge Virginia thanks and prayers to you for doing the best that could be done, under those horrifying circumstances.

You are a real hero in the eyes of the horse world, and we all thank you so much for acting so quickly.

maple_brook
May. 21, 2006, 11:02 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are all on Barbaro and his connections. He is such a magnificent athlete. Mr Prado...your instinct and horsemanship have given this beautiful stallion a chance at recovery. Thank you!

Home Again Farm
May. 21, 2006, 11:02 AM
Your actions — quick and effective— may make the difference between life and death for that wonderful colt. My heart goes out to you and to Michael Matz, and to the horse's owners, breeders and the entire team that cared for him. I will be praying that surgery is successful and that this wondrous colt recovers.

2Dogs
May. 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
Mr Prado - you deserve immediate induction into the Racing Hall of Fame as your actions as both a superb athelete and devoted horse person have done more for racing than any number of 'won" races can do!

Thank you!

Sannois
May. 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
Mr Prado - you deserve immediate induction into the Racing Hall of Fame as your actions as both a superb athelete and devoted horse person have done more for racing than any number of 'won" races can do!

Thank you!
Hes a Hero in my mind! MY heart goes out to him, I still cry at the thought of him standing there looking so alone as they examined him .
Edgar you are a wonderful horseman. Barbaro stands a chance of a life thanks to you! Superb! :yes:

pwynnnorman
May. 21, 2006, 11:59 AM
Dear Mr. Prado,
I know you know how the horse industry has its ups and downs, goods and bads. Thank you for being one of the good ones. It's so sad what has happened, but you and Mr. Matz have also shown light on some very wonderful things as well--about yourselves and also all the people who share your appreciation for our amazing animals.

Classic Melody
May. 21, 2006, 12:01 PM
Mr. Prado,

In the Kentucky Derby, you gave Barbaro a picture-perfect ride. In the Preakness, you may have saved his life. I can't even begin to express my admiration at your consummate skill and your obvious heartfelt emotion for the horse. If all horse people were like you, this world would be a better place. We're all thinking of you and praying for Barbaro.

Sincerely,

Suzannah, proud OTTB owner

tullio
May. 21, 2006, 12:17 PM
Mr. Prado,

As a fan of Maryland racing I have read your name in the sports pages and seen you race many times as your career has unfolded. I was so excited to see you on television this year because I feel a little bit like I "know" you after all this time, and it was wonderful to see you get the ride on a wonderful horse and do so brilliantly with him.

I just want you to know that my respect and admiration for you grew so much as I watched the Preakness unfold. You did such a wonderful job keeping Barbaro from further injury, and I know your heart must have been breaking all the way. Thank you for being so careful and so skillful - you are a model of horsemanship.

All my best wishes and prayers for you, Barbaro, and the rest of his team. You and Barbaro have earned our admiration and won our hearts!

Seal Harbor
May. 21, 2006, 12:19 PM
Sr. Prado,
Your quick thinking and actions were more than admirable, they were heroic.

We are all thinking of you and all of the Barbaro Team, and praying for a good outcome to Barbaro's surgery.

Dee
May. 21, 2006, 12:22 PM
Mr. Prado, I echo everyone's thoughts and prayers here. The skill and intuition you used to bring this amazing, adrinalized rocket of a horse to a halt while keeping him off the injured leg was nothing short of amazing. My prayers are with you all as Barbaro goes to surgery. Well done, Mr. Prado, well done!

Ride On
May. 21, 2006, 12:30 PM
To Edgar Prado,

You are a hero and an outstanding horseman . Your sensitivity and skills are amazing and are an inspiration to anyone who is involved with horses. Thank you for being such a smart and caring rider no matter what the outcome of this tragedy.

To Michael Matz,

You were one of my heros when you rode the jumpers and now you are still a hero as a complete horseman. I am so sorry about this tragedy for all involved but I salute you in your beliefs and your wisdom. Your strength and your true intent involving the care of the horse is so evident in all your actions. Thank you for being such a good example of what should be in the horse business.

Diane

farmgirl88
May. 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
Words honestly cannot describe my gratitude and everyone else's that we have for Mr Prado. Without Edgar and his heroic actions this great champion may not be here with us right now. Something more than seeing a great champion break down has come out of this whole story. We have witnessed true compassion for these horses through you and Mr. Matz. I just wanted to let you know that our hearts and prayers are with you through this difficult time.

If anyone has his contact info, could you also PT it to me, thanks

Caylei

hundredacres
May. 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
Dear Mr. Prado,

I am not as eloquent as so many of the others on this board...but I cannot let that keep me from telling you that you are a hero and admired for your talent and for the care that you exhibited yesterday. Thank you, thank you, thank you for showing this amazing side of the horseracing industry.

Everyone wishes Barbaro, you and the entire Barbaro Team, the very best.

Tracy

Dream Away
May. 21, 2006, 12:54 PM
Mr. Prado,

Thank you so much for your incredible strength, talent and compassion. I can not even begin to fathom how hard it was to pull Barbaro up when he had just started running. You pulled him up faster than I ever thought was possible while helping to keep him off that leg. That is a true testament to not only your abilities but also the connection you have with Barbaro. We all have you to thank for Barbaro having a chance at life. My thoughts are with you and all of Barbaro's team during this time. But know that you are a true hero and like has been said, you are a true horseman.

~Tonya

stfatpony
May. 21, 2006, 01:03 PM
Mr. Prado,

I met you in passing a few years ago on Maryland Million Day. I am friends with the Bonifaces, whom you rode Winsox for. You have always been admired by MD racing fans for your sportsmanship and fabulous riding skills and now you are even more of a hero in all our eyes after you saved Barbaro from further injuries yesterday.

I wish you luck in the future with all everything. Thanks for being such a wonderful horseperson and role model for all of us.

PrairieGrass
May. 21, 2006, 01:48 PM
Mr. Prado,
I'm so thankful that you weren't injured. Despite the tragic circumstance, it was amazing to watch a horse with such tremendous heart and a horseman with such sensitivity and skill. My prayers are with Barbaro and everyone who cares for him. Blessings to you, Mr. Prado.

Fred
May. 21, 2006, 02:04 PM
You have my undying admiration and respect, and gratitude for your riding skills, athleticism, quick thinking and compassion. Your obvious love and concern for a great horse shone through. No one could have tried harder.
Thank You. God Bless you.
Gail Rogers

SBT
May. 21, 2006, 02:12 PM
Sr. Prado,

Thank you for doing your very best to save Barbaro. He has a chance to live because of you! You are an incredible horseman. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

irishannie
May. 21, 2006, 02:14 PM
Sometimes there is more to being a Champion, than winning the race. Mr. Prado was truly a champion in his heroic efforts to save Barbaro.

mightyhijames
May. 21, 2006, 06:04 PM
Mr. Prado, you are a true ambassador to your sport. Your compassion and obvious concern for Barbaro, not to mention your extreme athletisim and ability, are deeply appreciated by all fans of racing.

certifiedgirl
May. 21, 2006, 06:33 PM
Mr. Prado, you are a tribute to your profession. Thank you, thank you, your riding ability and obvious compassion for horses has given Barbaro a chance for recovery.

minnie
May. 21, 2006, 08:39 PM
I echo all that's already been expressed. We witnessed the riding of a true master. We're all praying for Barbaro that he not only survies this catostrophic injury, but is able to be rehabilitated enough to stand at stud. If that should occur, his first colt should be named BARBARADO and if there's any justice at all, he would grow up and be a triple crown winner.

ivy62
May. 21, 2006, 08:50 PM
Horses wealth fare on the track is best put forth by a rider knowing his horse and being in tune with every motion they make.......THANK YOU for being so intuned to your horse and giving him the best possible gift of all.. LIFE! You made it possible for them to do what they are doing now.......Hopefully it will all work out......THANK YOU!!!!AGAIN Jingles for Barbaro!!!!!!!

Magnifico Road
May. 21, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'll be printing out this thread on Tuesday morning and hopefully Edgar will have it in his hands soon after. Til then, keep these enormously moving, heartfelt tributes coming. The outpouring of emotion and understanding here is incredible!

DancingHooves
May. 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
Dear Edgar,
You truly are a shinning light in our equestrian comunity. Your swift actions in the turmoil of the race have given the wonderful Barbaro a chance at recovery, a hope for a life where he will walk again. If it were not for you, he would not even have that hope. The love that so many people feel for you and this fantastic horse have brought us all together as only true greatness can. May the journey you are on in this life continue to be blessed.
Warmest wishes from my OTTB and me :)

StrawberryFelidos
May. 21, 2006, 09:50 PM
Edgar, thank you so very much for helping to save Barbaro on Saturday! Your quick actions and heartfelt response were commendable:) :D I APPLAUD YOU!!!
You are a damn good rider, Edgar (and, ahem, might I mention, a damn fine looking fella;))- and I can not express enough how proud I am of you!
Thank you for doing so well by your Kentucky Derby horse!
Godspeed!

Marli
May. 21, 2006, 09:50 PM
Edgar Prado - the courage you demonstrated in restraining Barbaro from further injuring himself has provided this great athlete his chance at survival. God Bless You. :yes:

Ladybug Hill
May. 21, 2006, 10:00 PM
Mr. Prado,

Thank you so much for your skill and your compassion.

Not only am I hoping that Barbaro can recover sufficiently to be comfortable, but I hope that your own heart can heal. I am sure that you are reliving the race over and over.

I hope many more horses have the chance to be paired with such a talented jockey.

Thanks again,

Chris Tolar

boosma47
May. 21, 2006, 10:02 PM
Bless you for your quick, compassionate response to Barbaro's horrific injury yesterday, for your deep grief and caring for your partner.

Let you, Mr Matz, and the Jacksons, serve as role models for the horse world, regardless of discipline. Hard work, integrity, committment, courage,humility, and caring .... qualities we can all strive for, for the well-being of horses everywhere.

Best wishes, and thank you for all you did for Barbaro, and for us.

incentive
May. 21, 2006, 11:00 PM
Dear Mr. Prado,

You gave Barbaro an awesome ride in the Derby and gained many fans and admirers in the process, but what you did for Barbaro in the Preakness was even more awesome. Your connection with this amazing creature, your love and compassion for your equine partner, and your unbelievable skill were displayed for all the world to see. True horseman everywhere applaud you and are grateful to you.

Courage has been described as grace under pressure. You, sir, truly gave everyone a lesson in courage as well as in compassion. Horsemen everywhere are so proud of you, Michael Matz, the Jacksons, and all the others who love and care for Barbaro. You have become my hero.

Sincerely, Barbara from Virginia

jbryner
May. 21, 2006, 11:15 PM
This is my first time posting to the Chronicle forum. Edgar is a wonderful, honest person who worked his way to where he is today. When I was training in MD, Edgar was riding all of the horses for Leatherbury and such, busting his a$$. I am so happy that someone this deserving has made it to the level he is today. His compassion for horses and his honesty have driven him there. He absolutely saved Barbaro's life by so skillfully pulling him up. Thank you Edgar!

Hopeful Hunter
May. 21, 2006, 11:22 PM
I've always believed that horses improve one's humanity, but in the tragedy of the Preakness we saw how humanity can save the horses.

While all of the people around Barbaro were impressive in their dignity and concern, Mr. Prado was simply amazing. In the heat of a race the likes of which most of us can never imagine, he was so tuned in to his horse that heard the break...and took action to save the horse. Action that, with one wobble, could have injured himself, too, had the horse fallen, yet that didn't matter. He demonstrated amazing skill in safely stopping Barbaro, and amazing soul in his clear concern.

Mr. Prado, know that you showed the kind of skill and compassion that legends are made of. You gave Barbaro a chance to win the most important race of his life by getting him stopped, and you will always have the respect and admiration of millions because of your heart, your grace and your skill.

captain
May. 21, 2006, 11:44 PM
i have no words, but my thoughts are with you in appreciation of your exemplary skill and horsemanship. well done, Mr. Prado.

Susan P
May. 21, 2006, 11:46 PM
More than Victory!

Though you have been praised and well deserved,
there is no thrill of victory.
But we'll recall Babaro, Prado, Matz and owners Jackson
and the race that made history.
Not for the win, the run, the fun the glory which fades away,
but for the honor, kindness and dignity.
You've all given something back to racing that fateful day,
that no win was ever meant to be.

adamsmom
May. 21, 2006, 11:50 PM
Mr. Prado,

I have always been a huge fan of yours, but on Saturday, I became more than that.
The skill and compassion you showed in pulling Barbaro up not once, but twice, was amazing to witness.
Without your uncanny knowledge, awareness and skill, Barbaro might very well have lost his life right there on the track.

I know you feel badly about the injury. As a rider myself, I understand the temptation to blame yourself when things go wrong. But, from all accounts, this was a freak misstep. Nothing you could have foreseen would have prevented it.
You, however, did prevent further damage.
I hate to think what might have happened had a lesser jockey been on Barbaro on Saturday.

All of my gratitude, and prayers go to you and Barbaro, wishing you both a speedy, full recovery from the trauma of Saturday.

Best wishes, and God bless.

Leigh Anne from Kentucky

Mardi
May. 22, 2006, 12:03 AM
Mr. Prado,
May the compassion and love you have for your beloved Barbaro be returned to you many times over.

J. Turner
May. 22, 2006, 06:39 AM
Caro Sr. Prado,

You are an amazing man whose strength lies not in your height but your heart. Here at Chronicle of the Horse, an equestrian sports magazine, many have followed Michael Matz's career as a show jumper and have been awed by his skill as both a rider and a horseman. His intuition was right again when he chose you to guide Barbaro. Not only did you ride him to history in the Derby with superb racing prowess, you allowed him a chance to pass on his history and live out his life with with superb your horsemanship. The way you were able to balance him to keep as much weight off that right side was worthy of an Olympic gold medal in dressage. I'm sure that God brought such horsemen, Michael Matz, Peter Brette, and you, together to be guardians of this beautiful, proud, horse who seems so perfect as to be sculpted by the hand of God.

You have had a hard year filled with with glorious victories and tragic losses. My sincere condolences go out to you in the loss of your mother who died without the same chances of the best medical care in the world that Barbaro is fortunate to have. I don't think every jockey would care for the horse they ride as your face showed the world you cared for Barbaro as you stood on the dirt of the track instead of the grass of the winner's circle. You were Barbaro's angel, though, Sr. Prado. Thank you.

Most gratefully,
Jessica Turner

Angela Freda
May. 22, 2006, 08:33 AM
I have his address in Fl and am sending him a card.
If anyone wants it you can PM me.
I am looking for an e-mail addy or an agent name so we might get soemthing to him faster.

TamiTee
May. 22, 2006, 08:43 AM
Mr Prado, Mr Matz and The Jackson Family,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Things could have been much much worse if not for the great horsemanship of Mr Prado in pulling up such a strong horse and saving him from more damage on the leg. To the Jacksons and Mr Matz for making a very hard decision to take this horse to surgery and give him a chance. We are all standing behind you and most importantly Barbaro in this tough time. We wish you the best and hope he makes a quick recovery to go on and sire many winners with his magnificent heart and courage.

All the veterinarians, technicians, grooms, barn workers, exercise riders, etc who have or will care for this great horse are also in my thoughts and prayers.

annikak
May. 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
Sr. Prado-
I echo the other voices here is admiration for the wonderful riding you did on Sat in such a difficult situation. Thank you for showing the world what a true horseman is- Barbaro is most blessed and fortunate to have you on his team.

With profound admration and respect,
Annika Kramer

AHC
May. 22, 2006, 09:27 AM
Edgar Prado was a hero on Saturday afternoon. He saved Barbaro's life by pulling him up so quickly and keeping him on his feet. He is a true horseman.

So is Michael Matz, and I hope for their sake, and for the Barbaro's, that his recovery goes as well as the surgery.

canyonoak
May. 22, 2006, 09:32 AM
Well, Im writing to Sports Ilustrated, to nominate Edward Prado for their Sportsman of the Year.

Who else this year can match the feat of preventing the certain death of his 1100 pound, adrenalinized partner who is running off at 35-40 mph, using nothing but sheer will,determination, incredibly fast reflexes, and heart?

Not to mention some incredible muscle power.

LessIsMore17
May. 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
You're my Hero!:) (and I've never admitted to having one before) You displayed such compassion, strength & intelligence and above all outstanding horsemanship.

Thank you,
Denise in GA

Rt66Kix
May. 22, 2006, 09:39 AM
Well, Im writing to Sports Ilustrated, to nominate Edward Prado for their Sportsman of the Year.

Who else this year can match the feat of preventing the certain death of his 1100 pound, adrenalinized partner who is running off at 35-40 mph, using nothing but sheer will,determination, incredibly fast reflexes, and heart?

Not to mention some incredible muscle power.

I think this is an outstanding idea. Can you find out the address where we could send our nominations? Perhaps start a thread here with that information, and let's bombard SI with our votes!

Fabulous! Prado deserves this honor, plus being in the Hall of Fame.

rebecca yount
May. 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
Dear Mr. Prado:

My friend owns the small farm with the dressage arena right behind your barn at the house you had in Woodstock, Maryland. I have ridden there many times when you lived there. In fact, one of your fowl (don't remember if it was a goose or a turkey) once joined a rider in the arena and added some spark to the ride!

You should be proud of your actions on Saturday, which were very brave and undoubtedly saved Barbaro's life, making it possible for him to get to New Bolton and survive this far. You showed tremendous strength of character and body in pulling up and holding that horse under the most difficult of circumstances. You have my utmost respect.

Rebecca in Maryland

All points
May. 22, 2006, 09:45 AM
Mr. Prado,

Words don't seem to cover the brilliant job you did. Thank you for the presence of mind to pull Barbaro up quickly and safely for both of you. Thank you for giving the Barbaro a chance to have surgery and fight for his life. You did an amazing job. Once again, Thank you.

BAC
May. 22, 2006, 09:45 AM
I thought it was a masterful display of horsemanship by Mr. Prado that kept Barbaro on his feet. It is only because of his skillfull riding that Barbaro has a chance at survival.

Arado*TB
May. 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
I just wanted to thank you for being so tuned into Barbaro, you were truly his saving grace.I just wanted to share , a friend of mine brought a paper to the barn[we were at a show] w/ a pic of you pulling Barbaro up , his eye is on you , he is looking back as tuned into you as you were to him.It gave me chills. Thanks again for your talent and compassion.

LOVEtheHUNTERS
May. 22, 2006, 10:16 AM
Mr. Prado - I know I speak for everyone when I say how admirable your actions were at Pimlico. It took a great horseman to be in tune with Barbaro enough to pull him up so quickly. What you did on Saturday likely saved this colt's life. I'm proud to say that I'm a part of such a great community. Our thoughts are with you and Barbaro and all of his connections!

Christie
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Dusty
May. 22, 2006, 11:00 AM
The racing world needs more people like you Mr Prado. Far too much negative is dwelled upon and I thank you for showing the compassion that truly does exist.

Twinkletozzz
May. 22, 2006, 11:05 AM
Mr. Prado is a wonderful athlete and truly wonderful human being. I wish I could know him. Bravo to you, sir!

ShortStirrupMom
May. 22, 2006, 11:11 AM
Mr. Prado,

Words can not express the sadness our country feels for what happened to Barbaro. :cry:

Please take comfort in knowing we are praying for Barbaro's successful recovery and good health and for your heart to mend.

We also thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being so in tune with Barbaro. What you did was amazing - you saved that horse's life.

Mr. Prado, you are truly a horseman amongst horsemen.

Goldylox
May. 22, 2006, 11:37 AM
Sr. Prado,
Your concentration and heroic feat saved a wonderful horse. A friend at the rail said your had 120% concentration on pulling Barbaro up. He thought that it was a true miracle you were able to do so.
Nothing distracted you and all your physical, plus mental strength were on pulling Barbaro up.

YOU , Sr. Prado....saved the day. THANK YOU!:)
Your amazing skills saved Barbaro's leg from any further damage.
To watch you work with Barbaro and be able to pull him up, that was a true blessing from above. A real act of care and compassion for a great horse.
You saved him and he has able to make it through surgury because of your great skills in the irons.

In the Derby, you and Barbaro were "as one" crossing the finish line. It was poetry in motion. I can only wonder how it felt to have him under you coming down the stretch...

Barbaro listened to you even through the injury at Pimlico. Your hands spoke to him and Barbaro listened.

God has blessed you with a great talent. Your riding is alway great, but you out did yourself at Pimlico on Saturday. You won a different kind of race! You gave Barbaro a chance to live.
Everyone has said just about everything else. So I will leave you with a quote:

"To make a perfect horseman, three things are requisite.
First, to know how and when to help your horse.
Secondly, how and when to correct him.
And thirdly, how and when to praise and make much of him.."--Thomas Blundeville

You are SO Much MORE than what I quoted above.
I really hope that Barbaro stand at stud.
In time, I hope that you are given a chance to ride a son or daughter sired by Barbaro:)

Then, go out there and win the Big Three!
How sweet it would be to see a Barbaro sired horse, ridden by you, trained by MM, win all Three races! I wouldn't mind the wait to see this happen.

Everyone from Barbaro's team, MM, the owners and you, Sr. Prado, deserves another chance to smash those speed records and take the Triple Crown.

All of you on Barbaro's team represent your industry in a great way! I think that in some ways due to your actions and others on the team, a new standard has been set.

I hope that MM will be able to train that special horse with you in the irons.
May a Higher Power watch over you and guide your hands and heart...It certainly happened on Saturday.
We were all there watching and saw it happen.
Your in our prays, Senior Prado.
THANK YOU:)

From a supporting fan in Texas:)))

ChocoMare
May. 22, 2006, 11:51 AM
Mr. Prado,

You are a credit to the industry. There are simply not enough words....:sadsmile:

Susan Auten
Dallas, Georgia

just_me
May. 22, 2006, 12:04 PM
Mr. Prado,

Thank you so much for your horsemanship, athleticism, and caring. What you did for Barbaro on Saturday helped save his life. You gave him a great ride in the Derby but a truly incredible ride in the Preakness.

Jan
S. Florida

gully's pilot
May. 22, 2006, 12:07 PM
Dear Mr. Prado,

My son (age 11) and daughter (age 8) and I would like to commend you for your skill in pulling Barbaro up. My son was very impressed that you were able to keep your balance and keep his weight shifted to the left side, while bringing him down from the gallop. My daughter said she could tell how much you loved him. We all know his chances of recovery are much greated because of you. Thank you.

Kim Bradley and family
Bristol, TN

BBowen
May. 22, 2006, 12:24 PM
God bless you, Edgar Prado for knowing your horse. You were Barbaro's hero when tragedy struck. I truly respect your skills a horseman and as a jockey. Barbaro was lucky to have you in the irons.

lyrical
May. 22, 2006, 12:48 PM
Edgar,
At first it seemed that you were pre-ordained to ride Barbaro for Michael Matz and the Jacksons so that your skill could help him win the triple crown. Now it appears that the reason you were fated to ride him was so your skill could help save his life. And you certainly succeeded. Now all the rest of us can do is pray.

Somehow, though, I think this very special colt will be up to the task.
Many thanks for all you did for him.

jakeyboyjk
May. 22, 2006, 01:33 PM
Mr. Prado,
You are truly a hero in my mind. Thinking only of the well-being of Barbaro above all else. I cannot get the image out of my mind of you standing there hunched over in obvious sadness and turmoil over what had just happened to your wonderful partner. Thanks for showing the world what a true horseperson is.

jetjocky
May. 22, 2006, 02:08 PM
Mr. Prado,

In the Kentucky Derby, you gave Barbaro a picture-perfect ride. In the Preakness, you may have saved his life. I can't even begin to express my admiration at your consummate skill and your obvious heartfelt emotion for the horse. If all horse people were like you, this world would be a better place. We're all thinking of you and praying for Barbaro.

Sincerely,

Suzannah, proud OTTB owner

I couldn't have said it better. Edgar you were a hero on Saturday. Thank you.

A Splash of Color
May. 22, 2006, 02:58 PM
Dear Mr. Prado,

Many talented hands and caring hearts have tended to Barbaro since his injury in the Preakness, but the very first ones to touch him were yours.

There is no doubt that your immediate response to Barbaro’s broken ankle saved his life. It must have felt like you were stopping a runaway train, but you did it – quickly and skillfully. And then you bravely untacked, stayed close and calmed him. Even after track assistants came to help, you stayed with Barbaro until the ambulance left.

Because of you, Barbaro was able to take the next step on his road to recovery.

Thank you for all you did.

God rest her soul, your Momma must be very, very proud.

Very best wishes,
Joan S.

Holly Jeanne
May. 22, 2006, 03:11 PM
I was also very impressed by his compassion, judgement and skill. So glad he was riding Barbaro.

Maria
May. 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
Thank you.

For your knowlegde. Your skill. Your compasion. Your grit.

My best to you, the Jackson's, Mr. Matz and mostly Barbaro.

Though it does not seem so now, the sun shall shine again.

You all shall remain in my thoughts,

Maria Erwin

Weatherford
May. 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
Mr. Prado,

Thank you for saving the life of a wonderful horse.

I once saw a horse, also in a race, lose its leg and its life because the poor rider (an amateur and junior, no less) couldn't pull it up.

I am so glad I did not have to witness that again. Thank you - and I think the horse world thanks you!

Everyone else has said it better. God be with you.

Weatherford

sporthorsefilly
May. 22, 2006, 03:59 PM
What a great feat of caring Edgar Prado showed in pulling Barbaro up. He risked his own welfare, because he cared for the horse and the humans involved with Barbaro. Edgar you deserve all the praise you have gotten from this bulletin board, I know your heart was broken, just as all of our were too. To go from such a wonderful dream to such a tragic reality in a few moments is very draining. Thank you for saving Barbaro, so that he and the dream may live through his foals. You gave us all a gift, but the best gift of all was to Barbaro.

Tiramit
May. 22, 2006, 04:13 PM
Mr Prado,

It is with deep respect and admiration for a true horseman that I write this note. Your quick thinking and herculean effort to stop Barbaro not only quickly, but remarkably smoothly, spared him from a horrific and immediate end. Yours was an awesome display of horsemanship, and you gave him the chance to live another day.

It was brilliant to watch the two of you win the Derby with nothing more than heart and a hand ride. It was equally moving to watch you both standing on the track at that tragic moment. Both times you were there for Barbaro when he needed you.

Bless you.

cardicorgi
May. 22, 2006, 05:19 PM
Mr. Prado:

I commend your very competent and able horsemanship! My non-horse knowledgeable husband commented "he became his fourth leg" - and indeed, you did. You were able to give Barbaro another chance...

Bless you, and may you have a continued long safe, happy, and fruitful career.

Boston Chicken
May. 22, 2006, 05:25 PM
Bless your talent, bravery and experience. All of those qualities and more gave Barbaro a chance.

- Gillian

canyonoak
May. 22, 2006, 05:48 PM
I said:

<<Well, Im writing to Sports Ilustrated, to nominate Edward Prado for their Sportsman of the Year.

Not to mention some incredible muscle power. >>

and someone else said:

<< I think this is an outstanding idea. Can you find out the address where we could send our nominations? Perhaps start a thread here with that information, and let's bombard SI with our votes!>>

So I wrote to Sports Illsutrated, and am waiting to get the correct address etc for writing in..and will report back.

teal tea
May. 22, 2006, 07:11 PM
Mr. Prado my heart goes out to you and the rest of Barbaro's team. Thank you so much for helping Barbaro; he has been in my thought's since Saturday. God bless you.

iheartbuea
May. 22, 2006, 08:29 PM
you pulled out just in time and saved the injury from getting worse. my thoughts and prayers are with you mr. prado and everyone assciated with barbaro. again great job and hang in there.

iheartbuea

islndgirl
May. 22, 2006, 08:31 PM
Thank you, Mr. Prado - for saving the life of such a wonderful and beautiful animal. Your courage and compassion are greatly admired and respected. You set a shining example for all of the horseworld.

cvl
May. 22, 2006, 08:38 PM
Bravo, Sr. Prado. You were step 1 in saving Barbaro's life. Trainer, owner, vet, New Bolton, surgeon, etc. all follow because of your quick actions. Now - it is in God's hands. You are to be commended for your efforts!

INoMrEd
May. 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
Like many other Thoroughbred racing fans on this bulletin board, we watched in horror as poor Barbaro was injured by a freak accident during the Preakness race on Saturday. You should feel proud about what you did for him. You did everything in your power to save him. You are an incredible horseman and we thank you so very much.

I’m sure that you will be seeing him as he begins the road to recovery. We are all rooting for him. Please give him an apple and some carrots from all of us, as we know that he dislikes peppermints.

Again you are a wonderful jockey and we are so very grateful you had the good sense to do what you did!

Wild Oaks Farm
May. 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
Mr. Prado,

It amazes me to realize that I love a horse I have never seen. I can't imagine how much you must love him, knowing him and being a part of his life. I have been following his progress over the last couple of days very closely, checking in constantly to see if there are any updates. America has you to thank, and even though you don't know me I would like to thank you personally and tell you how much I appreciate your skill and obvious concern for your horse. Barbaro will always be a champion...even my very non-horsey husband was able to tell he was special, as we watched the horses being saddled up before the Kentucky Derby. He picked Barbaro out of them all and knew he was looking at a champion. Watching him win that race is something I will never forget. Thank you for giving Barbaro a chance, and please give him a hug and a kiss from me!

Instant Karma
May. 22, 2006, 09:23 PM
THANK YOU Edgar:D It was horrible to see Barbaro go through what he did on the track, but it made me proud to see all those who loved him there for him when he needed it most.

Smiles
May. 22, 2006, 10:03 PM
Edgar it truely takes a great horseman to feel when something is not right with a horse. You have a special connection with this horse and you did everything in your power to protect him. I would consider you his guardian angel!!! Wising Barbaro a quick, pain free recovery and continued future luck with your racing career. Thanks for a job well done! :yes:

Horsegurlmercury
May. 22, 2006, 10:32 PM
Mr Prado,
I want to thank you for what you have done. You saved Barbaro's life and now are many young riders hero's. I am keeping you, Barbaro, Mr Matz, and everyone else who worked with this wonderful horse in my prayer. Congrats on your Derby win and good luck in your outstanding racing career.

willowoodstables
May. 22, 2006, 10:53 PM
Sr. Prado,

The fact that your quick thinking and fast actions have helped Barbaro get to the surgical unit in an attempt to save his life is a testament to the consumate professional horseman you are!

Not only did you balance and calm Barbaro, you did so at the risk of your own life and well-being. Barbaro listened to you, he was in extreme pain and still wanted to finish the race as he has been bred to do. By fighting him down, you put yourself selfishly at risk, which to me says in volumes more than anything your dedication and love to your mount.

I hope that you continue to ride with the grace and finesse that you have displayed again and again.

Truly my heartfelt sympathy goes out to you. I only hope that others than us Coth-ers pass on these wonderful sentiments to you what we are feeling.

Gracias Sr. Prado...

Kim

Beezer
May. 22, 2006, 11:18 PM
Mr. Prado,

It is with deepest empathy and sympathy that I commiserate with you over Barbaro's injury.

It is with deepest respect that I offer my heartfelt thanks to you for preventing it from being so much worse.

You have given this great horse his best chance at survival. Your care of him is a testament to everything good about horse racing. I wish I could shake your hand.

God bless, and all the best to you and your family.

LoneWolf13
May. 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
Mr. Prado,

I can't even begin to tell you how courageous and admirable your actions and heart were. You exemplify everything those rising in the ranks should strive to achieve and are a true hero to me and I'm sure, most importantly, Barbaro. I only wish I could express myself as eloquently as others here have. I truely wish you the best and know that both Barbaro and you are in my prayers.

Rebecca

enigma99
May. 22, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sr. Prado,

First of all thank you for being such an incredible rider that you were able to realize so quickly that Barbaro was in trouble and for having the strength to get him to stop. Thank you for allowing Barbaro to get the second chance that he so deserves. Also, thank you for giving us the opportunity to see Barbaro run an absolutely breathtaking Derby.
My sympathy goes out to you as I know that you must care for Barbaro more than any of us can imagine. I hope that you will soon get to ride another one as great as the great Barbaro.

Sara

Magnifico Road
May. 22, 2006, 11:38 PM
Thank you everyone! At this point, the thread is printed and in the hands of the messenger for delivery tomorrow, hopefully. :)

Kenike
May. 23, 2006, 12:06 AM
Mr. Prado,

Your love of horses over your love of riding was so clearly evident on Saturday. So many of us watched in horror and were amazed at how quickly, efficiently, and perfectly you pulled Barbaro up and most likely saved his young life. You are incredible in your talents, and one to be truly admired for your heart! You most definitely did your momma proud! Thank you for teaching ALL of us what a true horseman is!

One last thought: I heard you were not treated so well at another track I won't name on Sunday. I gladly volunteer to throttle each and every person who was so unkind to you. :) They're all just to stupid to realize you have done nothing wrong. I hope you know that with every fiber of your being, as well.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

JanM
May. 23, 2006, 07:41 AM
Thank you for giving Barbaro a chance to live. I cannot imagine how much strength and skill it takes to stop a racing thoroughbred in mid-gallop. Whatever the outcome you are a magnificent horseman, and a wonderful person.

equus_aeternum
May. 23, 2006, 07:54 AM
I don't know if I, too missed the "print date" for this one, but I would like to share my thanks and sentiments as well.

Mr. Prado, my friends and I were at a horse show in New York, and we all hurried to a nearby resteraunt to watch the race. We all watched in disbelief and horror when Barbaro started galloping on three legs. I could not believe though, how quickly you managed to pull up Barbaro. I know what it takes to pull up my horse when he gets going, and I know he has note even a fraction of the power Barbaro had. Once you had gotten him stopped, and we could see the injury was obviously quite serious a friend turned to me and said, "He probably just saved that horses life." That is a statement I whole heartedly agree with. Your fast reaction gave Barbaro one of his best chances.

I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible a feeling that must have been for you, but you are an amazing rider, and an amazing horseman. You gave Barbaro a great shot of recovery with your fast actions, and we all thank you for that.

Chapdelaine
May. 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
Your amazing skills and physical strength have given this horse a chance. Thank You. And, I note that you performed on behalf of the horse while experiencing every jockey's worst, nagging nightmare of the horse breaking down underneath you. It is the breakdown that puts jockeys in their greatest peril. You are very brave.

Magnifico Road
May. 25, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hello all - Edgar read all of your beautiful tributes today. He wanted everyone to know how incredibly moved he was by this, and said that it is something that he will refer to often whenever he starts to feel down. He also said that it was perfect timing, to be able to read this now when the tears tend to flow throughout the day ...he is trying very hard to stay busy and keep his mind occupied by riding 9 races a day :eek: He sends a big, heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone here!

copper bay farm
May. 25, 2006, 04:21 PM
Thank you Edgar for your quick reactions and superb riding skills which no doubt have given the magnificent Barbaro another chance at life.

Thank you Barbaro for the heart and courage you showed that day and beyond in staying on your feet and trusting your rider to keep him safe in what could have ended in an even greater tragedy had you both gone down.

Bless you both and best wishes on Barbaro's continued recovery.

Sannois
May. 25, 2006, 05:53 PM
Hello all - Edgar read all of your beautiful tributes today. He wanted everyone to know how incredibly moved he was by this, and said that it is something that he will refer to often whenever he starts to feel down. He also said that it was perfect timing, to be able to read this now when the tears tend to flow throughout the day ...he is trying very hard to stay busy and keep his mind occupied by riding 9 races a day :eek: He sends a big, heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone here!
it came from the bottom of all our hearts! And thank you so much to the person who went to the trouble of getting all the responses to him!!! :) Crying again, with tears of happiness! :sadsmile:

ivy62
May. 25, 2006, 07:54 PM
magnifico road, I hope that Edgar Prado realizes that we are not just racing fans but most of all horse lovers. Every day since that dreaded day I go out in the field and give my horse a big hug and kiss thanking god we do not have the issues that lie ahead of poor Barbaro. Also Prado's feelings and emotions, I hope he knows he is not to blame but should be congratulated for a job well done....

Freebird!
May. 25, 2006, 08:59 PM
Well, sorry I missed the print date, but I did want to say this. I used to gallop - and break - racehorses for a living, and unfortunately I did have a few that got hurt while I was galloping them. Of course none were as bad as Barbaro's, but the feeling you get when you hear a pop, or feel a horse under you that is 3 legged lame is the same. The thing that I think is so incredible about what Edgar Prado did is his timing, as well as the location of the injury. As bad a break as it was, it is VERY hard to tell that a horse is lame on a hind limb, when the horse is working all out. When your stirrups are that short, and you are going that fast, and the horse has that much weight on his front end, let me tell you - it is a very hard thing to tell right away when something goes wrong with the hind end. So the fact that Edgar knew almost immediately when the injury happened just amazes me. He was a great rider before he ever rode Barbaro, and now he is just all the more better.

Boston Chicken
May. 25, 2006, 09:04 PM
Thank you, Magnifico Road! I'm so glad he knows how we all feel about him :sadsmile:

J. Turner
May. 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
I am SO glad that Edgar got our well wishes. I hope they warmed his "corazon" for just a little bit.

ElonGrad1997
May. 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
Muchas gracias, Edgar! To be able to pull up such a finely tuned, muscular ball of adrenaline...you're a hero in racing for the ages. We're all encouraged by the positive reports coming daily out of New Bolton. You gave Barbaro a chance at life, and that's bigger than an Derby win in my book.

captain
May. 27, 2006, 06:21 AM
and to pull him up not just once, but twice!!