War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
What happened???

bird4416
May. 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
It doesn't look good. Oh no!!:(

BeastieSlave
May. 20, 2006, 06:10 PM
Right hind - loading him on ambulance now.

J. Turner
May. 20, 2006, 06:12 PM
Is it suspensory?

annikak
oh my god....such good riding by the jock- tears are flowing.,.

QHJockee
Looking like ankle, can't tell with wraps on, perhaps stifle. Ambulance blockin view now

souvenir
May. 20, 2006, 06:13 PM
The replay looked like his fetlock area was injured. Right Hind. I'm just heartsick.

RiverBendPol
May. 20, 2006, 06:13 PM
I first thought suspensory but now i'm thinking its broken. sh&&. this is too terrible..............sitting here sobbing with non-horsie family..................

shawneeAcres
May. 20, 2006, 06:14 PM
his right ankle appeared to be flopping rather oddly, looks very bad!

QHJockee
Ankle, I was right, at least that's whwat Dr. Larry thinks

Sonesta
Looks like a break to me, too. Just so sad. Hoping he can heal enough to stand at stud.

War Admiral
OMG, jingles it's not...

annikak
strange movement

right hind ankle- serious according to the attending vet

Weatherford
OH NO!!!!

QHJockee
May. 20, 2006, 06:15 PM
Way to go Edgar for pulling him up ASAP. That's a hard job to do but he did it as efficiently as possible.

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 06:16 PM
Definitely way to go.

BeastieSlave
May. 20, 2006, 06:17 PM
It looked like it had an odd shape even with the wraps... Track vet speculated probably career ending :(

evenstar
May. 20, 2006, 06:17 PM
Sh*t. Now I remember why I stopped watching racing. Awesome work by the jockey, though.

Mali
May. 20, 2006, 06:18 PM
JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE!!!!!

Bugs-n-Frodo
I just screamed... his ankle was flopping. Oh God, I can't stop crying for him. Jingles Barbaro... this is horrible. Just horrible.

BeastieSlave
It had to be especially tough to pull up after the false start too. I would thing he'd be so pumped to run.

shawneeAcres
I wonder if he strained it when he broke thru the barrier and then it failed when he started the race. The force he came thru that barrier had to have an effect on him

Classic Melody
That was just heartbreaking. What a terrible disappointment, how awful for Barbaro and the Matzes. Barbaro looked incredibly full of himself as they were headed to the post, but didn't appear to hurt himself by breaking through the gate, as dramatic as that was. I couldn't really tell, but I wonder if another horse clipped him - they were packed pretty tight.

Wow. What a sad day for racing.

solargal
That looks really bad, especially since the wrap is holding the ankle in place a lot. I think Edgar felt something wrong before. This horse acted up in the paddock, broke through the gates, and Edgar warmed him up excessively, which is a sign of a horse not feeling quite right to the rider.

Hope he makes it.

YoungFilly
Oh my god, please I hope they can save his life. At the best he could still be a breeding stallion. That really looked aweful on the replay.

2Dogs
I am crying too. From the looks of it, broken ankle. Damn damn damn - why racing keeps breaking my heart.

~Freedom~
May. 20, 2006, 06:19 PM
I was watching. It sure looks like a broken bone in the fetlock ankle area.

Onabreak
May. 20, 2006, 06:19 PM
Did anyone else think it looked like he got clipped by brother derek? Or some leg interference?

Sannois
May. 20, 2006, 06:20 PM
When he false started from the gate, which had nothing to do with the injury I got a BAD feeling about the race.. God I hope its not broken! :(

J. Turner
My heart is crying for MM, Barbaro, his asst., Prado. Did the vet say he thought it was soft tissue? The weird action looked like the torque at speed at him holding up the foot, I don't htink it was actually flopping.

Poor boy. I hope that he can have a deserved retirement.

Did anyone get a clear view of the misstep? Did his breaking through the gate do anything. I didn't see anything there.

stfatpony
ankle or pastern. i'm still crying. jingles,

Kudos to Edgar for getting him pulled up so quickly.

excowgirlie
I am devastated! If Edgar wasnt so tuned in, I hate to think how much uglier that would have gotten..I am on pins and needles.....

Mali
I noticed Edgar kept looking back doing the warm-up. I thought maybe he was suspecting a loose shoe. I wonder if intuition.....if he just "felt" something...just wondering. God I hate TIVO now.

dudders
It looked to me like he broke sound, in the close up he was really digging in both hind legs then it LOOKED LIKE he got clipped hard in that early bunch.

Anybody else?

God that's just heartbreaking.

BeastieSlave
May. 20, 2006, 06:21 PM
I only just made it in to watch the race. I wish I had missed it now :cry:
Jingles for everyone involved. This is gonna be tough....

dudders that's how it looked to me too. They were bunched up so, it had to happen then. He was working hard before that.

showjumpers66
May. 20, 2006, 06:23 PM
Yes, from the air it absolutely looks like got clipped by Brother Derek.

Onabreak
May. 20, 2006, 06:23 PM
From the overhead view he didn't look like he was interfered with by anybody. Oh I hate this for all his people there right now :cry: jingles for the handsome fella.

Gracious
May. 20, 2006, 06:24 PM
I told my family that I was nervous when they were in the warm-up. My dad told me to stop being "silly." I just had a bad feeling about this race.

Jingles for Barbaro.

~Freedom~
It looked to me like he broke sound, in the close up he was really digging in both hind legs then it LOOKED LIKE he got clipped hard in that early bunch.

Anybody else?

God that's just heartbreaking.

They just showed the raced from the rear and was completely clear of the other horses. It really looked like he just took a misstep.

CathyKb
OMG - Jingles and prayers for Barbero!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

War Admiral
Jingles and prayers for that good horse. :( I too feel terrible for his connections. :(

Classic Melody
He may have been clipped, and if it was Brother Derek, well he certainly didn't run well at all and faded even before the homestretch. I wonder if he has a minor injury, too.

With the exception of the winner, no horse ran this race well. The second place horse was getting the snot beat out of him as he faded down the stretch, and still the third place was way behind him. This is definitely a field that Barbaro would've outclassed.

As soon as the pack tightened around Barbaro, I sense he was not galloping correctly. Edgar was already beginning to pull up. How very, very sad.

TBXCFan
May. 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
I haven't been this upset watching a race since Go For Wand. The replay was sickening. Poor Barbaro! I feel awful for everyone involved. I'm relieved he didn't go down. Well handled by Edgar Prado.

Jingling as I type....

stfatpony
May. 20, 2006, 06:26 PM
Did hie get clipped from behind?

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 06:26 PM
Makes me want to go hug every TB I know and loff. :(

JumpingPaints
May. 20, 2006, 06:27 PM
I can't watch the replays anymore... this is heartbreaking. Really hope it's not broken..

HrsArtist
May. 20, 2006, 06:28 PM
I am so so so so so sad... I can't believe it..

ironbessflint
TWO fractures

LOVEtheHUNTERS
Prayers and jingles. I'm ready to be sick...

"serious fracture"

Murphy's Mom
Two fractures.:(

annikak
Dudders or anyone with connections-
can you keep us posted? And is there anyway to get any sort of note to esp the jockey, who seems to be a very kind and sensitive guy, who I bet will be replaying this over and over

fracture- above and below ankle- major surgery- shi*

J. Turner
Fracture above and below ... going to New Bolton. My stomach is a pit.

That is horrible. Just horrid. I hope they can stablize him and he can live out his life in comfort. I know MM must be crying inside and out. If anyone has connections to MM, please, I hope they'll give sincere condolences to MM and his team, esp his asst. trainer who rides him everyday, all the equestrian world fans from the COTH who have idolized him for years.

onetempies
He sure looked packed tight in that spot. Possibly clipped or just a freak misstep. Hard to tell. Definite kudos to the awesome job of pulling him up that quickly though!

He's off to New Bolton. Crap... :(

hopashore1
fractures both above and below the fetlock...poor Barbaro

War Admiral
The thread on H/J has an update from someone on the backside who said they think it very likely IS broken. :(

boosma47
May. 20, 2006, 06:29 PM
SH*T Why, why? Looked like he got stuck in the early jumble, as he was moved to the outside.

Didn't like the flop factor at all.

Jingles to Barbaro, MM and all his connections.

LoriO
they just announced fracture above and below the ankle

RiverBendPol
"Serious" fracture, going to New Bolton.................... Oh God, this is so saaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

NeuroticShowMom
I noticed Edgar kept looking back doing the warm-up. I thought maybe he was suspecting a loose shoe. I wonder if intuition.....if he just "felt" something...just wondering. God I hate TIVO now.

I don't have it on TIVO, but I did notice this while watching it live, and wondered why the commentators didn't comment on it. They just kept saying how fresh and ready to race he was. It looked to me like he was looking at his right hind and I had a twinge of disappointment that they might pull him from the race. It might very well have been something totally unrelated. How sad!!

Oh no, facture above and below the ankle. OMG jingling like mad. Poor Barbaro.

Jungle_cat
2 fractures, possibly life threatening if lacks blood supply

Had to happen the first year I am watching these races. :(

Slewdledo
He DID NOT get clipped. It looked to me like he bobbled SLIGHTLY and went on for about seven strides before he started favoring his leg. This is just awful. Fractures above and below the ankle and he's off to New Bolton

Luie's Person
May. 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
fractures above and below fetlock....

soooooo sad. I'm going to let myself cry now...

Melelio
May. 20, 2006, 06:31 PM
I'm just sick over this....why did this have to happen to such a great guy?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Oh no, not good news at all. Wow, I am just so heartbroken for Barbaro and his people. I am just so sad... I just can't stop crying.

Home Again Farm
Jingles for Barbaro. :sadsmile: :cry: :sadsmile:

I saw Ruffian's last race and haven't felt this ill since then. :no:

Hope the docs can fix him. My heart goes out to Michael Matz, the owners, the incredible jockey and Barbaro's whole team. This is so very sad.

BeastieSlave
May. 20, 2006, 06:33 PM
Good luck to all involved and JINGLES for Barbero!!! I hope he has an uneventful trip to New Bolton, that the blood supply is good, it's an 'easy' fix, and he's a model patient.

KarenC
May. 20, 2006, 06:33 PM
I never post on this forum. I love TB racing and lurk here to learn more about. Occasionally, I shed a tear or two just because watching TBs run is one of the most beautiful things in the world.

The minute I realized what was happening, I started WEEPING (I'm not a big cryer, either). As soon as I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be horrible. To make matters worse, I am watching alone - MrC is actually at Thisteldown in Ohio working on a research project (vet school student). I have no local friends interested in horses at all, much less racing.

I'm grateful I can come on COTH and share my complete misery with others. I felt so alone until I ran upstairs and logged on.

The ONLY comfort I take in this is that I know Michael Matz will try to do what is absolutely best for the horse, whatever that may be.

Riva
May. 20, 2006, 06:35 PM
oh that was just sad and heartbreaking to watch! :no: :cry: I just feel sick. Well...hopefully he will be ok to live a pampered life at least.

annikak
May. 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
I never post on this forum. I love TB racing and lurk here to learn more about. Occasionally, I shed a tear or two just because watching TBs run is one of the most beautiful things in the world.

The minute I realized what was happening, I started WEEPING (I'm not a big cryer, either). As soon as I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be horrible. To make matters worse, I am watching alone - MrC is actually at Thisteldown in Ohio working on a research project (vet school student). I have no local friends interested in horses at all, much less racing.

I'm grateful I can come on COTH and share my complete misery with others. I felt so alone until I ran upstairs and logged on.

The ONLY comfort I take in this is that I know Michael Matz will try to do what is absolutely best for the horse, whatever that may be.

you have others in MI that feel the same way- PT if you want company- because it sure is misery.

J. Turner
May. 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
I just keep blubbering at home and posting because it's the only comfort after seen a great, great, great horse break down.

SuperSTB
May. 20, 2006, 06:38 PM
I had a bad feeling about Barbaro before the race too... I think we're all stunned and yes I totally had a recall of Go For Wand's last race. I started to cry as soon as he pulled up...

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 06:38 PM
HUGE Jingles for Barbaro. Just finished watching everything (darn computer is UPSTAIRS and tv is down stairs). Hopefully the blood supply wasn't compromised at all. *sigh*

Mali
May. 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately for all of us...this is the stuff legends are made of. We will never know what might have been. To reiterate all the posters before me....how sad. I was lucky to have been too young to see Ruffian break down. I wasn't watching Go for Wand during her race, and once I heard the news, did not watch any replays. This is only the second break down I've ever seen, and just as my friends have told me- you never want to see it again. Really glad hubby wasn't home to see me screaming, crying & clutching the dog all at the same time.

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
I did too. In fact I blogged this morning that I'd rather see him safe home than see him win the race. :(

Jingles and prayers. Total big ups to MM for traveling to NB with him!!

showjumpers66
May. 20, 2006, 06:40 PM
Did you see it from the sky view? From that angle it really looked like B.D. clipped him solidly.

He DID NOT get clipped. It looked to me like he bobbled SLIGHTLY and went on for about seven strides before he started favoring his leg. This is just awful. Fractures above and below the ankle and he's off to New Bolton

Sancudo
God, I had a premonition this would happen. I am totally freaked out now. It came to me yesterday as I was driving and I was analyzing how I thought the race would run. I was getting really nervous, but that's normal for me. And then it hit me, like a voice. I knew all of a sudden that something horrible would happen to Barbaro. I new that it wasn't just that he'd lose. Something terrible. And it's been haunting me all day. I finally told my little sister around 4 pm today "I'm going to say this right now, and I hate to say it. I've been in denial about this, and I hope to God it won't happen, but something horrible of going to happen to Barbaro, and I want you to be my witness." When he broke through the gate, I was like, thank goodness, maybe that's all I was dreading. But I about had a flipping heart attack when he was pulled up. My sis and I just stared at eachother. It looked horrible, the way he wouldn't put any weight on it. This is terrible.

findeight
And he has not been unloaded from the ambulance and going to New Bolton.

Shades of Go For Wand indeed:( It was as obviously broken as hers in the replay.
I fear it will end the same. Double fracture. Possibly something wrong in front to cause the shift of weight to the back. Possible blood supply problems. And that colic spectre.

Damn it all. I HATE that part of horse sports.

Cella
May. 20, 2006, 06:41 PM

I unfortunately, don't think it is MM's decision. I do wish it was, because I do think he cares about his horses, and would do the right thing, no matter what that is.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 06:42 PM
Watching the slow replay from in front it really didnt look like he got clipped, more that he just landed wrong, kind of like turning your ankle stepping off a step. Now I wish i could just go give Luke a hug. Glad no one can see me crying *sniff*

findeight
May. 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
God, the overhead shot from the blimp is sickening. You can really see the breakdown. Nobody hit or touched him, it just gave way.

He is in good hands and they will do what is best for the horse...I just fear the answer to that question.

farmgirl88
May. 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yes severe factures below and above the ankle, they are taking him a vet hospital to etermine wether or not it is effecting theblood supply, if so he will most likely be put down. If not, a very very big surgery will have to be performed and his racing career is over. What really pissed me off is when they were doing the presentation to the winner, one sponsor just got up there and said yep...its a sad day today, but thats horse racing. That really ticked me off but hell, at least he's not affraid to admit it. This is one reason why I actually strongly dislike horse racing and watching and hearing comments today has officially made me change my mind about exercise riding next year. My heart goes out to Barbaro, Edgar and Michael as Edgar is extremely upset and is actually in tears...what a sad sad day

Cinnybren
May. 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
Jingling like crazy. Damn, that was horrible to watch. I am just sick and teary eyed. I hope, hope, hope, that the blood supply hasn't been compromised. Please let him be sound enough to hang out in the pasture. He deserves it. He would have eaten up the rest of the field today.

Taska
May. 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
"I'm grateful I can come on COTH and share my complete misery with others. I felt so alone until I ran upstairs and logged on."

KarenC I feel the same way, as soon as they pulled up the ambulence I told my husband I couldn't watch anymore, cleaned up the dinner dishes, but then had to come online. I needed to, I don't know, I guess be with horse people who understood what I was feeling. I appreciate the COTHers who are updating us with what is going on so much.

SmplySweet1021
May. 20, 2006, 06:46 PM
I was amazed when Prado pulled him up and he was still galloping but not putting any weight on that right hind. When he had his leg up every time it looked like an upward fixation of the patella. But man I hope he pulls through.

farmgirl88
It is for the most part MM's decision besides having the owners there. The owners are very trusting in MM's decisions and actions and I'm sure whatever he decides is best fo the horse from a great horseman's and trainer's prospective, is what will happen

whbar158
I feel so bad for the conections. I too saw Prado looking at his hind end before the race and started to get a bad feeling then he broke through the gates :( a very bad day, and a horrible thing to happen to such great people and a great horse.

Mao
I have NEVER in the decades I've been watching the Triple Crown races - see a horse break out of the gate like Barbaro did.

NEVER.

WTF?

I did see Ruffian's match race though.

This is completely heartbreaking.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
And he has not been unloaded from the ambulance and going to New Bolton.

What EXACTLY do you mean he has not been unloaded?! What are you implying here?!

****JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES***

Wild Oaks Farm
Oh, God...this is terrible. My husband is out of town and I called him in tears...I can't believe that just happened. This is the kind of thing that makes me feel sick inside...I would hate for it to happen to anybody. And to happen to Barbaro...he's my Horse Hero. :cry: :cry: :cry: I am devastated over this. I feel terrible for everyone involved. If I am this heartbroken over it, I can't imagine how those around him, who know him and work with him every day, must be feeling. The only thing that makes me feel better is that he has a great team around him, and people who obviously really care about him and love him.

...jingling like mad for Barbaro, my Horse Hero....:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

TBXCFan
I really wish they'd stop showing the replays. Of course, I could change the channel, but I want to hear any news as it comes in.

I, too, am glad I can commiserate here with the rest of you.

SmplySweet1021
May. 20, 2006, 06:49 PM
I unfortunately, don't think it is MM's decision. I do wish it was, because I do think he cares about his horses, and would do the right thing, no matter what that is.

You are correct the decision is up to the owners. Trainers have virtually no say in things such as these. He can give them advice and same with the vets but ultimately it's the owners decision to do whats best for Babaro.

mvb
May. 20, 2006, 06:50 PM
JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES

:*(

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 06:50 PM
They aren't showing ANYTHING on channels I can get other than the Indy 500 speed trials. Dang it. Hopefully we'll know something soon from New Bolton. I have complete faith in them after they saved one of mine (albeit a colic surgery).

findeight
May. 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
Hey, this horse was well rested and well conditioned and they can break things in the pasture.

It's been a long, long time since this has happened in a Classic race..Prarie Bayou and Union City being the only ones I recall and that 10 years or so back.
Everybody hates it though.

I still like racing, makes me sick when this happens...I stayed away for a good 5 years after that God awful Breeder's Cup carnage at Belmont. But I came back and will again...and just maybe, Barbaro can be treated. He certainly is getting the best of emergency care as befits any athlete.

Say a prayer for him and hug your own horse.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
Okay, okay I am just too wound up. I am at the barn & had to listen on the radio. Brought the laptop just so I could plug in.

I misread in my jitters over what happened. Thought FindEight said Barbara has not been unloaded at New Bolton. *telling myself to go hug horses & calm down*

excowgirlie
when he broke through the gate, he twisted his front, left ankle..I was surprised no one checked his legs right then and there...they just pushed him back in...how come no one looked him over?? I am convinced that mishap had everything to do with what followed...

horselips
The way he just stood flexing the leg in obvious pain, but stood quietly with his head lowered and against his handler's (groom? M. Matz?) chest; as though trustingly waiting for his people to help him.

Heartbreaking, but a good sign: After seeing the crazed with pain Ruffian, Go For Wand, et al, he stands a better chance of surviving surgery and the trying ordeal of recovery with a trusting and cooperative attitude.

Poor, poor colty :(

Slewdledo
What was heartbreaking was the way he fought to go on with the field.

As far as the "sponsor" - that was actually Frank Stronach. And he is a moron.

I don't like these implications that Matz is unique in "doing the right thing" or that the horse will get a boost because it's Matz and not someone else who trains him. :no:

This is NOT shades of Go For Wand. She didn't have a chance. This one does. A better chance than most of you are giving him, frankly.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
I think findeight truly said it best. He IS getting the best emergency care that any horse could ask for, with a VERY caring trainer. It sucks that it had to happen, especially to such an athelete, but it could happen out in the field too, and it does. I'm still sniffing, but it does put it into perspective

J. Turner
May. 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
I feel sooo bad for Peter Brette, too.

Boston Chicken
May. 20, 2006, 06:55 PM
I am here with my parents, sister's family, and children - and all I can do is cry. I am heartbroken; as I know we all are. I am truly praying he will be alright. :cry:

*jumper*
May. 20, 2006, 06:57 PM
This is such a freakish day, such a random accident. First the gate, then his leg. You could tell how bad it was when he was only running on three legs. This is so sad and sickening, just tragic. I hope they don't euthanize him, but if it's as serious than it sounds, I just hope they do what's best for the horse. Jingles and prayers for Barbaro, Prado (who did a magnificent job of pulling him up as soon as he could), Matz, the Jacksons, and everyone involved with Barbaro. What a sad day for racing.

RainDancer
May. 20, 2006, 06:57 PM
Sure looked bad to me - how he was when they pulled him up. :( :(

He was trying desperately to stay off the leg as he was running. 3 legs. Pulled up very quickly. Awesome job by the jock.

colliemom
May. 20, 2006, 06:58 PM
I was in the stands when Ruffian broke down, and screaming so loudly in my living room when Go For Wand broke down that my husband came running into the house from the back yard. Sickening. Heartbreaking.

Jingles to all involved..... especially Barbaro. I don't want to wake up at 3:00 a.m. to hear a radio report like I did with Ruffian...

Taska
How long will it take for them to get him to New Bolten? I'm thinking they would take I-95? (the traffic on 95 this afternoon from Baltimore to Wilmington was very light) or would they take Route 1? Is there a chance they could get some kind of police escort to get him there as fast as possible?

KarenC
Another thing I wanted to mention (again, trying to focus on the positives here) is what an excellent job Prado did of pulling him up (others have mentioned this as well). I cannot IMAGINE how difficult it must have been to do that in the heat of the race. That guy should win a freakin medal for that.

And, as others have mentioned, I know the owners have final say over what is done with the horse (which is why I used the term "try" instead of "will)... but would have to think that they will carefully consider MM's opinion.

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, I'm a real newbie to TB racing.

gray17htb
First I'd like to say, Kudos to Prado for pulling that horse up so fast. He's a great jock and it could have been alot worse. He felt it immediately and that horse is a freight train. It was definately a bad step. His right hind hoof was swinging:( ,but, he broke sound. Michael matz is a brilliant horseperson, a TRUE horseman. He'll do the right thing. Good luck to Barbero, I hope he'll be ok.

TBXCFan
May. 20, 2006, 06:59 PM
No, it certainly isn't as bad as Go For Wand but watching the foot flop like it did was just as heartwrenching. I'm hopeful he can make it. At least we now have the Anderson sling to help horses stay off injured legs while recovering....

MHJLittlefield
May. 20, 2006, 06:59 PM
Jingles for Barbero and all his people. What a tragedy.

Sannois
May. 20, 2006, 07:00 PM
The way he just stood flexing the leg in obvious pain, but stood quietly with his head lowered and against his handler's (groom? M. Matz?) chest; as though trustingly waiting for his people to help him.

Heartbreaking, but a good sign: After seeing the crazed with pain Ruffian, Go For Wand, et al, he stands a better chance of surviving surgery and the trying ordeal of recovery with a trusting and cooperative attitude.

Poor, poor colty :(
He just kept lifting it and kicked it out a few times, but was so quiet..
The thing that just kills me is the shot where Edgar is fighting to pull him up, hes shaking his head and still wanting to run.. I have no doubt he would have won had he not been injured.. Gary stevens said it was a tepid speed. No one was really doing anything, except bernadino sp??
Barbaro was literally bouncing going to the post. I havent cried this much since I had to put my mare down, 15 years ago.. Praying that he will be saved for a life of leasure at least! :cry: :(

Sing Mia Song
May. 20, 2006, 07:02 PM
I just feel absolutely sick to my stomach. It looked like he came out into Brother Derek's path from the overhead, but I couldn't tell if there was actually contact. I, too, noticed Edgar looking back at his right hind when Barbaro was getting fresh. Thank all the deities that he was able to get him pulled up--I'm sure he was also thinking about Funfare at the BC last fall when that horse broke down and unloaded Edgar (I want to stress that this was through no fault of Edgar's--it's hard enough balancing on a racehorse, let alone trying to pull up a horse full of run on three legs).

Jingles that the blood supply is sufficient and that the surgical fixation takes.

BasqueMom
May. 20, 2006, 07:02 PM
Jingles and more jingles!! Home alone also. Time to go hug my two TB's.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 07:03 PM
I want to add more HUGE Kudos to Prado for pulling him up so quickly and so well. One of the announcers said that he was the 4th leg for Barbaro, and its so true. I know this was a very emotional race for him to begin with (Prado), and this has got to about kill him. However, if it wasn't for his skill, most likely Barbaro wouldn't even be making this trip to New Bolton.

TL
May. 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
A tremendous athlete with a tremendous heart...here's hoping for a safe trip to New Bolton and the best possible recovery.

On edit, make that two tremendous athletes with tremendous heart.

J. Turner
May. 20, 2006, 07:05 PM
I want to add more HUGE Kudos to Prado for pulling him up so quickly and so well. One of the announcers said that he was the 4th leg for Barbaro, and its so true. I know this was a very emotional race for him to begin with (Prado), and this has got to about kill him. However, if it wasn't for his skill, most likely Barbaro wouldn't even be making this trip to New Bolton.

Edgar said he couldn't even interview according to the NBC commentator, who said "understandably," What a horrible feeling to have a horse break down underneath you.

Cashela
May. 20, 2006, 07:06 PM
I never wonder over here but felt compelled to. JINGLES to Barbaro. I missed the race and after reading this post I have not turned on the tv, I can't bare to see any sort of replay as I think I will be devastated. Gosh, I just don't know what to say :(

Meredith Clark
May. 20, 2006, 07:06 PM
New Bolton Center is about an hour and a half, but who knows about that traffic.

My roomate walked in on me ballin my eyes out and the first thing she said was "what happened to Jay??" (my ottb).

prayers for everyone!

adamsmom
May. 20, 2006, 07:09 PM
I used to work for the agent that planned the mating that produced Barbaro. He was/is with the Jacksons as I type.

FWIW, from what I understand through my connections, Barbaro has had no previous instance of unsoundness. None. Just in case those questions come up.

Very hopefully, they will be able to repair the fractures and he will be able to stand stud. This is, however, as many know, contingent on his behavior, and his recovery directly after surgery.

At least it doesn't sound like the ankle is in bits and pieces.

Prayers, jingles and everything else coming from me.

SmplySweet1021
May. 20, 2006, 07:09 PM
What was heartbreaking was the way he fought to go on with the field.

As far as the "sponsor" - that was actually Frank Stronach. And he is a moron.

I don't like these implications that Matz is unique in "doing the right thing" or that the horse will get a boost because it's Matz and not someone else who trains him. :no:

This is NOT shades of Go For Wand. She didn't have a chance. This one does. A better chance than most of you are giving him, frankly.

Please take back what you said about Mr. Stronach. He is an amazing man. Not only do I book mares for his Adena Springs KY stallions, I have met him and his is truly a nice man.

Gracious
May. 20, 2006, 07:11 PM
Please take back what you said about Mr. Stronach. He is an amazing man. Not only do I book mares for his Adena Springs KY stallions, I have met him and his is truly a nice man.

It was a very insensitive comment --- "...but that's racing."

CAH
May. 20, 2006, 07:12 PM
I am sick. Just absolutely sick. My husband walked into the room as he was pulled up and I was yelling "he broke down".

He looked like a horse ready to run. Just a bad step.

Jingles. I hope it makes it. But I have a real bad feeling about it.

gray17htb
May. 20, 2006, 07:13 PM
DON'T EVEN START FIGHTING ON THIS THREAD!!!!!:mad: There are way more important things to worry about.

findeight
May. 20, 2006, 07:13 PM
Somebody DID win the race and with a very nice colt that may have won anyway-and that is racing.

Nice job with a colt in his fourth career start and a first Classic win for the Maktoums who have really supported American breeders and racing and would have rather beaten Barbaro then won this way. But they did win and deserve credit.

Not just racing, that's horses in general. They are fragile creatures and can break despite the most careful supervision.

At least this is in the hind and not a foreleg so perhaps there is hope.

SmplySweet1021
May. 20, 2006, 07:15 PM

I'll be the one to break it to you. I work around race horses daily, work at an equine hospital, This happens more often then you think in the racing industry.

This injury happened to be on TV. So that is why everyone is freaking because the public actually saw what happens during some races.

I feel for the horse and I was crying also when I saw it. But this is horse racing, breakdowns happen. Which is why most tracks are switching to Polytrack which will help in preventing breakdowns.

GrayTbred
May. 20, 2006, 07:15 PM
Somebody DID win the race and with a very nice colt that may have won anyway-and that is racing.

Nice job with a colt in his fourth career start and a first Classic win for the Maktoums who have really supported American breeders and racing and would have rather beaten Barbaro then won this way. But they did win and deserve credit.

Not just racing, that's horses in general. They are fragile creatures and can break despite the most careful supervision.

And kudos to the Bernardini team, who accepted their victory in the most gracious way possible under the terrible circumstances.

SmplySweet1021
May. 20, 2006, 07:16 PM
DON'T EVEN START FIGHTING ON THIS THREAD!!!!!:mad: There are way more important things to worry about.

I don't want to fight. But I don't believe trashing Mr. Stronach and all that he has done for the industry was a good thing to do in this thread.

yellow-horse
May. 20, 2006, 07:17 PM
i am sick about this, i was watching the race and saw it happen, the flopping foot is sickening, the jockey did a great job pulling him up, it looked like he was trying to pull him around off that leg
my thoughts are with the horse and all involved with him
my horse broke her stifle and was given a 10% chance of recovery, she is still alive today and plans on dancing on my grave, while it sounds very bad, i'm sure everything humanly possible will be done for this horse

Harold
May. 20, 2006, 07:18 PM
It is heartbreaking but he'll be in the best of hands. I don't know who's on call today but I'm sure if he doesn't do the surgery, Dean Richardson will be called in. He's the best. I was a student when another of Michael's racehorses came in for a surgical fusion from a racing breakdown - it ended up having complications and Michael was there at least 1x/week to visit with him and rub on him. I'd never seen any other trainers do that.

Nauseating to watch. I cannot imagine what all of the people who love him and work with him every day must be feeling, as horrible as we are all feeling.

ghazgal
May. 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
Just heartbreaking.....

Mali
May. 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
HRTV is doing up to the minute reporting on Barbaro. They said he has a police escort out of the city- hopefully the entire trip.

SmplySweet1021
May. 20, 2006, 07:21 PM
It is heartbreaking but he'll be in the best of hands. I don't know who's on call today but I'm sure if he doesn't do the surgery, Dean Richardson will be called in. He's the best. I was a student when another of Michael's racehorses came in for a surgical fusion from a racing breakdown - it ended up having complications and Michael was there at least 1x/week to visit with him and rub on him. I'd never seen any other trainers do that.

Nauseating to watch. I cannot imagine what all of the people who love him and work with him every day must be feeling, as horrible as we are all feeling.

Thats great to hear. If your allowed please forward any information. Not sure if it's allowed, I signed a confidentiality agreement when I began my job at an Equine Hospital.

Ghazzu
May. 20, 2006, 07:21 PM

well, it is true...

Gracious
May. 20, 2006, 07:24 PM
well, it is true...

I understand that, and believe me, I'm not trying to start a fight about it. Horses are very fragile animals - I know this from first hand experience. I just don't think it was the appropriate time to say such a statement. I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated if one of us was dealing with such an injury in our own horse & someone said "well, that's horses for ya."

And I'm done talking about it. Let's focus on Barbaro.

horsekpr
May. 20, 2006, 07:24 PM
Jingles for Barbaro,his people,and his amazing jockey.I also had a very bad feeling before the race.I kept thinking of Ruffian.So weird.I was thinking all the triple crown hype jinxed him.I knew something awful was going to happen before he even got to the gate.It doesn't feel too good to have terrible premonitions come true.I am praying that he will be able to be saved .:no:

findeight
May. 20, 2006, 07:25 PM
Guess you'll have to watch Basketball or whatever is on the duece and the crawl at the bottom of the screen.
I'm sure the media is on it and will leak it ahead of any announcement anyway.

You know, I knew it was bad when they never took him out of the ambulance at the track facility..guess I never gave it any though buit that is a a really good idea.

Boston Chicken
May. 20, 2006, 07:29 PM
Another bad feeling here...Nothing felt right today actually. I can't really explain it. I am so terribly sorry for MM, Edgar and Barabaro's owners - so awfully sick about this.

excowgirlie
May. 20, 2006, 07:33 PM
did anyone else think it was strange that he didnt get checked out after that false start? Or am I just being ignorant....?

maxxtrot
May. 20, 2006, 07:35 PM
guys, i work for an equine vet and this is a very bad injury to say the least.i am hoping and praying that the folks at new bolton can get this fixed up and that the horse stays quiet(as you can expect a very fit tb to be) so the surgery can heal properly. i hope they can at least save him and he can stand stud for someone and live the life. i have all my fingers and toes crossed and all hooves are crossed at the barn too that he recovers safe and sound. i too had a really bad feeling before the race, i also noticed that edgar kept looking back at that ankle on the way to the gate. makes me wonder if he felt something there. it did not look like brother derek interferred with him at all.everybody cross your fingers,toes and whatever else you can, say a prayer and lets get those jingles going!!! we all know how much our jingles can do for others.:):)

Taska
May. 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
So relieved to hear he is getting a police escort out of Baltimore, hopefully they can get one in PA as well, I just want him to get to the hospital as fast as possible.

Buffyblue
May. 20, 2006, 07:37 PM
Wishing Barbaro a safe trip, a successful surgery, and an uneventful recovery! That was truly hard to watch and, like some of the others, I had a weird feeling about the race today. Jingles from New York for Barbaro and best wishes to all his humans, too.

Meadow36
May. 20, 2006, 07:38 PM
I was standing on the rail near the finish line when Go For Wand broke down in the Breeder's Cup. The outrider caught her and pulled her to the ground right in front of me. I was 14 years old at the time. I watched them euthanize her right there on the track, then drag her into the horse ambulance.

I was so devasted that I didn't watch horse racing again for several years. I heard about Prairie Bayou's breakdown in the Belmont, but I wasn't following racing then and wasn't there that day. Then I became a big fan of a horse named Charismatic. I was very excited to go to Belmont and watch his bid at the Triple Crown. I thought he had a serious chance. I was standing on the rail (again) right near the finish line - when he snapped his leg and Chris Antley came flying off of him to help save him. The jock stood there with the reins in one hand and the horse's leg in the other. He saved his life.

Now this horse - I only started watching again because I'm such a big fan of Michael Matz. I watched all of Barbaro's races and I was absolutely in awe. I thought, "Michael knows what he's doing, who could possibly take better care of a horse?" But then - this. I'm devasted and in tears again. Another hero has fallen.

I think God is trying to tell me to stop watching horse racing. :cry:

Goldylox
May. 20, 2006, 07:38 PM
With the police leading the way and praying that everything traffic wise works out, how long will the trip take?
Goldylox

carp
May. 20, 2006, 07:39 PM
did anyone else think it was strange that he didnt get checked out after that false start? Or am I just being ignorant....?
I assumed it was one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. They had the rest of the field stewing in the gate; leaving them there or pulling them back out was dangerous too.

FLAbreds
May. 20, 2006, 07:40 PM

I noticed that, too, unless he was checked so fast we just didn't see it on TV.

I feel very bad for Barbaro's connections and am sending loads of positive vibes, jingles, prayers....EVERYTHING...in hopes that Barbaro will be ok. I was really pulling for a Triple Crown winner this year. And after seeing Barbaro's Derby win I thought, hmmmm, maybe this year (although I still was rooting for Sweetnorthernsaint!). And then when I saw Edgar pull Barbaro up not soon after the start my heart just sank. And then having to watch it again on the replay....ugh....:sadsmile:

Meadow36
May. 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
He trotted back to the gate sound when they went to reload him. I immediately had a horrible feeling. He was so agitated before the race - uncommon for him. He should be at New Bolton by now - it's about an hour drive, right?

Goldylox
May. 20, 2006, 07:42 PM
Jingles from Texas..

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 07:43 PM
yeah its around an hour to an hour and a half drive depending on traffic. We've got a storm here and no TV as of now (darned storm) so you guys have to let me know what you hear!

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 07:45 PM
Cartera's in Baltimore and they're still covering it. She's posting on the H/J thread. Sounds like he's about at the Delaware border. Will be under police escort all the way. she said ppl are pulling over to watch him pass. :cry:

TBXCFan
May. 20, 2006, 07:45 PM
TVG just said the vet did look at Barbaro before he reloaded after the false start.

Meadow36
May. 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
For those of you with HRTV, please keep posting new info.

Jinx
May. 20, 2006, 07:48 PM
Jingles from me and my whole family...

Jingles for Barbaro

Jingles for MM, Prado, Jacksons and everyone else personally involved with this wonderful horse.

Heres hoping that he will have a sucessful surgery and a swift recovery and as that ad said today "if you think winning big races is fun....wait till retirement" ~Dad

lets hope he makes it to retirement.............

SillyHorse
May. 20, 2006, 07:48 PM
I have never posted on this forum, but occasionally lurk. I knew I'd find the latest news available here.

I, too, had a bad feeling after Barbaro broke through the gate. ( I have never seen this happen before -- is it common?) This is just so sad. :(

Sannois
May. 20, 2006, 07:49 PM
And there was a woman, with Lafit sp.. and another commentator. She said one sesamoid and a pastern bone fracture, that was the initial Xray in the stable. If thats true, alot of horses go on to be serviceable with one hinfd sesamoid fracture.. And the pastern bone, well that can be plated.. I dont know.. Praying very hard!!
I also feel very sorry for the winner, Talk about an anti climax.. hes a great young colt, and his victory was marred by such a tradgedy, I'm sure him and barbaro would have battled it out!
They also said back at the barn Brother Derek Bled profusely from his nose.. Might have somethng to do with why he had no steam.. A very sad and strange race! :(

luvmytbs
May. 20, 2006, 07:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing, I don't think I have ever NOT seen a vet check a horse after getting in trouble with a starting gate.

Too late now to take this all apart. Just hoping Barbaro will make it through surgery and then be a good patient.

MsM
May. 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
I was so hopeful it was soft tissue when he was pulled up so quickly after the start. The breakdowns usually seem to happen farther into the race and I, too, had noticed the jockey looking back and down. Hope Prado doesnt feel like he should have pulled him up before the race - that would be tough to live with and he did such a great job pulling him up quickly.
We can only hope that veterinary science can offer him a fighting chance. Poor horse is facing the longest odds of his career. :(

Meadow36
May. 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
Silly Horse - breaking through the gate happens, but it's not that common. Especially for a horse like Barbaro, who is known to be pretty well behaved at the gate. Some horses are holy terrors for the starters, but Barbaro was not one of them.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 07:53 PM
TVG just said the vet did look at Barbaro before he reloaded after the false start.

So apparently he WAS checked out, we just couldnt see it (for those who just posted that he wasnt).

Still sending huge jingles and waiting for updates.

TL
May. 20, 2006, 07:54 PM
I noticed that, too, unless he was checked so fast we just didn't see it on TV.

I was listening to the radio online and, the announcer noted several times that he would (have to) be checked... I think also someone said that EP would be asked if he felt Barbero had injured himself coming through the gate... then suddenly he was re-loaded and the subject was dropped...

dogchushu
May. 20, 2006, 07:54 PM
How much difference does the length of the trip make? Is his injury one where he'd be the same whether the trip is an hour and a half or if it's 45 minutes or is it one where time is of the essence?

It looked to me like Barbaro was trotting soundly back to the gate after the false start and that it was just a freak misstep after several strides of solid running.

Seeing Prada hugging the assistant trainer (while sobbing) and watching MM dash out of the stands was about as sad as anything I've seen in ages. My heart goes out to everyone connected with this beautiful horse.

Meadow36
May. 20, 2006, 07:55 PM
The vet may have "looked" at him, but I've watched the replay several times and the vet didn't run a hand over his legs or anything. They basically pushed him right back into the gate. He did trot back sound though.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 07:56 PM
i didn't see it, just another poster had mentioned it. He did trot back sound and comfy and broke well from the gate. Gosh I wish I was back home in MD seeing more coverage

Slewdledo
May. 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
I won't take back the Stronach comment, however, that's the least of the issues today. Just don't ever let him present again.

TVG reported that Alex Solis (on Brother Derek) heard the crack during the race.

Mali
May. 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
HRTV reported Barbaro was UNLOADED from the track ambulance at the barn. X-rays were taken in the stable area, the attending vets sedated him for the trip to NB, and was loaded into a smaller size trailer so he could lean against the sides for the trip up. An hour & 45 minute drive.

sidepasser
May. 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
So sorry to hear about this - terrible news - didn't get to watch the race, so came here to see what was up - first thing I see was the horse was injured. so sad.. here's hoping he recovers and if nothing else, becomes a pasture pet.
Prayers and jingles for Barbero!

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
oh god. i've heard the crack of a breaking bone ONCE in my life (unfortunately it was MY fsking bone), and it is the MOST sickening sound I've ever heard, or IMHO ever could hear. Is brother Derek doing ok after the nosebleed?

Sannois
May. 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
And there was a woman, with Lafit sp.. and another commentator. She said one sesamoid and a pastern bone fracture, that was the initial Xray in the stable. If thats true, alot of horses go on to be serviceable with one hinfd sesamoid fracture.. And the pastern bone, well that can be plated.. I dont know.. Praying very hard!!
I also feel very sorry for the winner, Talk about an anti climax.. hes a great young colt, and his victory was marred by such a tradgedy, I'm sure him and barbaro would have battled it out!
They also said back at the barn Brother Derek Bled profusely from his nose.. Might have somethng to do with why he had no steam.. A very sad and strange race! :(
Just now the head vet at the track, told Laffit and another announcer that it is the cannon bone, Condular fracture, .. common, and incomplete, but also the Long pastern bone.. :eek:

summerhorse
May. 20, 2006, 08:00 PM
How much difference does the length of the trip make? Is his injury one where he'd be the same whether the trip is an hour and a half or if it's 45 minutes or is it one where time is of the essence?

Time would be of the essence if there was significant damage to the blood supply. While they could possibly repair the vessels the longer the tissues are without oxygen the more likely they are to be damaged beyond repair/healing. If there is not significant damage to the blood supply then the time wouldn't make that much difference except for the horse's suffering.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
Just now the head vet at the track, told Laffit and another announcer that it is the cannon bone, Condular fracture, .. common, and incomplete, but also the Long pastern bone.. :eek:

Oh $h1t. That does NOT sound good. How is the prognosis on that as compared to the other dual fracture?

mvb
May. 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
AH! Do you know what CNN Just said??? "it was just a bad step" Ugh!

HrsArtist
May. 20, 2006, 08:03 PM
I was standing on the rail near the finish line when Go For Wand broke down in the Breeder's Cup. The outrider caught her and pulled her to the ground right in front of me. I was 14 years old at the time. I watched them euthanize her right there on the track, then drag her into the horse ambulance......
I think God is trying to tell me to stop watching horse racing. :cry:

I saw that horrible race so long ago... I haven't stop watching races but it sure reminds me of her every time I see a stumble. My heart skips a bit every time.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:04 PM
well, honestly, it WAS just a bad step. And they don't love these animals like so many of us do. To them, in the grand scheme of things..."its just a horse" to quote my mother *fuming* but thats how they see it. :sad:

MIdeafhorserider
:sadsmile: :sadsmile: :sadsmile: :sadsmile:

I ask Saint Franics of Assis taking care of Barbaro, I cry so hard. Barbaro is in my prayer

Sannois
Oh $h1t. That does NOT sound good. How is the prognosis on that as compared to the other dual fracture?
The vet talking to them said it might be handled several different ways.. He named the vet that will be operating on him.. Forget the name, He also said Barbaro was an excellent patient, stood stock still in the stall for the splint to be applied and was quiet and went back on the trailer! ... GOD this is so sad! :cry:

Sancudo
May. 20, 2006, 08:05 PM
This was posted on Final Turn:

"My friend Andy who is assistant trainer for Albertrani just called me and said Barbaro's injury is real bad. Not only does he have a condylar above the ankle, but a shattered pastern bone. This means no blood flow to or from the ankle."

Goldylox
May. 20, 2006, 08:06 PM
Now, taking out the dinner bell. MORE JINGLES!!

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:06 PM
The vet talking to them said it might be handled several different ways.. He named the vet that will be operating on him.. Forget the name, He also said Barbaro was an excellent patient, stood stock still in the stall for the splint to be applied and was quiet and went back on the trailer! ... GOD this is so sad! :cry:

well honestly i trust the docs at New bolton more than i do my own surgeon, so i know that they'll do an amazing job, the best that they can. What a truly great horse, being so quiet and calm while most likely in so much pain. :sadsmile: :cry:

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
Mali..if you could keep us updated with info from HGTV, that would be great. I live close to N.B., in the middle of hourse country, but most of us in these parts don't get HGTV.

Dispatcher
May. 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
dreadful. looked like he broke a rear pastern with all the care he received during his training, it just breaks your heart that a wrong step broke him down. That boy was hurting. Thank god Edgar pulled him up as soon as he could

Huntertwo
May. 20, 2006, 08:10 PM
Is it suspensory?

Pretty sure they said it was a Sesamoid. It sounds pretty serious, broken in two places...:cry:

farmgirl88
May. 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
I was royally Po'd to see th eutriders rush up and just grab ahold of him and run him back to the gate. Shouldn't you walk him just incase something is wrong and to keep him overall calm? They didnt even do a thorough check of his legs or walk him around to be sure he was OK....He just was not himself today. He was first acting funny when bucking and playing while being warmed-up )jockey was wsatching his hind end every now and then, then he burst out of the gate...then he was hopping on all threes...just sickening

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
cannon and long pastern as of latest update from the vet that Sannois posted on page 9

Erin Pittman
May. 20, 2006, 08:12 PM
This is just so sad! My mom called me right after the race wanting to know what happened. I told her I thought it looked like a break because his foot was moving in directions it should not be able to move in. I was so hoping for a TC with this horse. The last time I thought there was really a shot was when Charismatic broke down in the Belmont. I hope they can save him!!!!!!

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 08:13 PM
Well, with all due respect to Sannois, that came from the backside, and we all know how the backside can be.

Best to wait and hope for word from New Bolton.

excowgirlie
May. 20, 2006, 08:13 PM
its sad to think maybe he was acting diffently because HE knew something wasnt right, and poor guy tried everything to get out of that race!! They are so damn smart..and we all know in here our horses so well...and when the act out of character we KNOW somethings up! God I think way too into this stuff..

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
I was royally Po'd to see th eutriders rush up and just grab ahold of him and run him back to the gate. Shouldn't you walk him just incase something is wrong and to keep him overall calm? They didnt even do a thorough check of his legs or walk him around to be sure he was OK....

Its pretty dangerous leaving ALL the other horses in the gate for a prolonged period of time too, they saw he trotted back sound and comfy, possibly checked him ok and said "hurry up and go, we've got quite a few other ready to go horses in the gates". And they grabbed him as quickly as possible so he WOULDN'T run too far, get tired, or get hurt.

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
This is why I watch the big 3 races with a clenched jaw. It's a lot of pressure on 3 skinny legs. Anything on HGTV or other sources?

relocatedTXjumpr
I only saw it because I had the TV on while I was cleaning house.

I was shocked when he broke out of the gate, but seeing as how I dont watch racing, I didnt know this was uncommon.

It was awful to watch...and major kudos to the jock for pulling him up.

Hopefully, they can make him comfortable enough to live out his life in retirement.

Goldylox
Will there be any type of official inquery into this for the JC?

Huntertwo
May. 20, 2006, 08:17 PM
guys, i work for an equine vet and this is a very bad injury to say the least.i am hoping and praying that the folks at new bolton can get this fixed up and that the horse stays quiet(as you can expect a very fit tb to be) so the surgery can heal properly. i hope they can at least save him and he can stand stud for someone and live the life. i have all my fingers and toes crossed and all hooves are crossed at the barn too that he recovers safe and sound. i too had a really bad feeling before the race, i also noticed that edgar kept looking back at that ankle on the way to the gate. makes me wonder if he felt something there. it did not look like brother derek interferred with him at all.everybody cross your fingers,toes and whatever else you can, say a prayer and lets get those jingles going!!! we all know how much our jingles can do for others.:):)

Maxxtrot, I noticed that too, but forgot about it until you mentioned it. I thought he was looking for a loose shoe or something.

luvmytbs
May. 20, 2006, 08:18 PM

Yes that is what the vet at Pimlico reported they saw on the x-rays taken at the track right away.

Attending vet at New Bolton is Dean Richardson, according to HRTV.

Slewdledo
The Jockey Club doesn't oversee racing, only registration. The MARYLAND Jockey Club and Magna, which oversee Maryland racing, most certainly should look into loading practices and fallback plans for when this kind of thing happens again.

saddlesurfer
I would think so as a formality. I'd bet everyone & their brother, by now, have watched the tape.

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:19 PM
Dean Richardson....Good man, very smart, skilled surgeon

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
Anybody still got coverage? Is he at NB yet?

Mali
May. 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
They are now reporting it is the cannon and pastern. I unfortunately have to leave for the night (to go horse sit), so I will not have any more access to the HRTV OR the computer! Can somebody else with HRTV please keep everybody posted. They are doing an amazing job with the coverage of this tragedy. I belive they said Dr. Richardson is the veterinarian in charge of determining his surgical status. They may operate tonight, or they may operate tomorrow. It sounds like the focus is getting Barbaro stabilized. They have not ruled out that he could cause more damage to the leg during shipping. It sounds like he's being the model patient so far, but we all now how things can change with horses in a split second. I'll be sure to check back first thing in the morning.

Sancudo
May. 20, 2006, 08:21 PM
Supposedly he'll arrive at NB around 8:50

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:22 PM
Dr. Richardson is a miracle worker. If anyone can help Barbaro, he is the man. And what a horse. Hopefully he didnt cause any more damage to the leg from shipping. *sigh* So who else has coverage?

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:23 PM
I would think so by now. Last I heard, 1/2 hr ago, he was at the Dela line & N.B. is about 15-20 mins away. Probably came up Rt 202 which is a 4 lane highway & easy to make speed.

pwynnnorman
May. 20, 2006, 08:24 PM
Ifnorant questions, but...If it were really bad--no blood flow and all--could they amputate?

Gucci
May. 20, 2006, 08:25 PM
I missed the race, thank heavens, what a terrible thing to happen .
Can't hold back the tears and feeling sick to my stomache as I'm reading all the posts.
I think it's time to go back to the barn and hug my OTTB for a long, long time.
Jingles, Jingles to Barbaro and everybody involved!!

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:26 PM
Ifnorant questions, but...If it were really bad--no blood flow and all--could they amputate?

From what I understand, it really isnt a possibility long term due to quality of life, and logistics. I could be wrong though, but if it really were, a lot of valuable horses might still be around

saddlesurfer
TB's are tough to keep on the ground with 4 legs let alone 3

Irish Ei's
http://http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33655
As of 8:27 PM......

Sannois
May. 20, 2006, 08:27 PM
Well, with all due respect to Sannois, that came from the backside, and we all know how the backside can be.

Best to wait and hope for word from New Bolton.
at the track. So thats all I know.. At least it was from the initial what he called first aid Radiographs, so they would know what they were dealing and to be able prepare him for shipping. He also said the vets at NEw Bolton will take more extensive xrays when he arrives.

tullio
May. 20, 2006, 08:28 PM
pwynn -

i have a close friend who works for a leading equine vet who in Kentucky - I believe she's talked about cases similar to this where amputation and even prosthesis have been put into play. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm sure the very best in vet. med. knowledge will be applied to the case.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:28 PM
http://http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33655
As of 8:27 PM......

that link doesnt work. here it is again http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33655

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
From Blood Horse Mag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barbaro Taken to New Bolton Center
Date Posted: 5/20/2006 8:27:18 PM
Last Updated: 5/20/2006 8:35:39 PM

Barbaro, who suffered multiple fractures soon after the start of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), has been taken to the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals at the New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Penn. He is expected to undergo surgery.
His injury is career-ending and life-threatening.

The transport from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore to Pennsylvania was shown live on WBAL-TV.

The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner stumbled and dropped behind the nine-horse Preakness field before being pulled up by jockey Edgar Prado in front of the clubhouse. Barbaro had broken through the gate before the race officially started.

According to Dr. Larry Bramlage, a prominent equine surgeon with the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Barbaro suffered a condylar fracture of the right hind leg. Below the ankle is a comminuted fracture (meaning it is in pieces) of the first phalax and there is a piece off the sesamoid.

At New Bolton, Dr. Dean Richardson will be in charge, according to Bramlage.

Bramlage added that a major factor in the prognosis will be how much the colt's blood supply has been compromised by the injury.

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
Sorry Sannois...

This really doesn't sound good. :(

Prayers and jingles continue.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
Well i just got a call from my dear sweet SO who watched the race with the band on the bus, and Collin Raye sends HIS jingles (yes i taught him jingles) and prayers for all involved.

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
Keep the faith kids, major prayers & jingles. Send prayers to Richardson too. He too, needs the help of a Higher Power right now.

Goldylox
May. 20, 2006, 08:38 PM
May Richardson's hand be Guided.....MORE JINGLES!

Ghazzu
May. 20, 2006, 08:38 PM
No; it doesn't sound good.
I lost a horse to a shattered P-1.
When I saw Barbero pull up, that RH looked ominously familar...

Kenike
May. 20, 2006, 08:40 PM
I think a lot of us noticed EP looking around during the parade (or whatever...I can't think well right now), but I honestly thought he was just checking shoes after Barbaro did his little jig dance and hopping around. Seemed to me that each time Barbaro acted up a bit was when EP was looking around at all 4 feet, but he did seem to spend a little extra time with that right hind. Not being him, or anything else, who's to say for sure? And the colt DID look sound, even going back to the gate after the false start.

I also noticed just how long they waited the start after reloading the colt. Could the vet have done the check at that point? I don't even know if that's possible, but I was wondering.

Maybe they need to take a look at the gates because I saw two horses in two separate races televised yesterday (maybe one was earlier today...it's all a blur now) do the exact same thing. Seemed a little strange to me that it would happen that much....but not being a race person, I could just be way off my rocker.

I'd be crying, anyway, and am absolutely sick to my stomach (what's dinner? I can't eat), but it's emphasized even more by the just-about-to-give-birth pregnancy hormones. Praying and jingling for Barbaro, the Jacksons (who are obviously caring owners...unlike some we can speak of out there!), the Matz's, the grooms & handlers, and all involved. I'm just thankful for where he's going for treatment & who's operating. Watching with baited breath...thanks for the updates, everyone!!

Xctrygirl
May. 20, 2006, 08:41 PM
Ok quick picture post..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xctrygirl/album?.dir=/51c4re2

Mr. Xctrygirl and I live nearby and and drove down and shot some digital pics of the ambulance going by us as they swapped off 95 and onto 222 to get over to rt 1 to head to new Bolton.

As you see the pics of the van you should know all we were trying to accomplish by taking these is to let you all see the journey and know that our hearts are breaking. And that as we watched him go by we sent our hope and love with him.

There were MANY people on various overpasses and on the side of the road as they drove by.

Good luck brave Barbaro.

~E

Edited to add that the van went very slowly on the cross over and the ramp. Every care is being taken.

Holly'er Than Thou
May. 20, 2006, 08:42 PM
I am just gutted about this. So, so sad. Jingles, prayers, thoughts to all involved with this special horse.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:43 PM
thanks so much for sharing those. Its so great that people got out of the way for this brave brave horse.

War Admiral
May. 20, 2006, 08:44 PM
Xctry, that actually made me cry for the first time this evening. Don't know why... Delayed reaction I guess.

Goldylox
May. 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Champion being driven off into the sunset:(((((((((
.....heading now for the Pepcid AC's..

Meadow36
May. 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Did anyone watch the Three Chimneys commercial before the race ... where it's a letter from Dynaformer to Barbaro (his dad) saying, "winning big races is fun, but just wait until retirement". Thinking about that is making me cry now.

Onabreak
May. 20, 2006, 08:49 PM
Xctry, they made me bawl too :cry: , and to see the trooper? escort just breaks my heart. Jingles and prayers and extra hugs to all the brave racing ponies tonight!!

LessIsMore17
that link doesnt work. here it is again http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33655

Geeze, nothing in that article sounds positive or good:( Why would they wait to do surgery tomorrow or does the wife just not really know what she's taking about?

Lauruffian
Well, f**k.

:cry:

I don't think I can take another of these.

I'm going to go love on my horses right now.

I'm hoping that Barbaro's personality will save him, just as Ruffian's doomed her.

:cry:

2Dogs
I am still crying. I thought I could never watch another race after Ruffian was put down, but I made an exception as I so wanted this lovely horse to be the "one" and I wanted it for Michael Matz, for the grace he has brought to the horse world.

Tragic, just tragic...

Equine Adhesive
May. 20, 2006, 08:50 PM
WA - ditto.

Adamantane
I never realized before how the Triple Crown races brought the entire horse community together, irrespective of disciplines or level of experience, until I noticed that the simultaneous logons have maxxed out at least three times in the last hour, with well over 300 people viewing this forum the last time I checked, presumably on this thread.

Those who pray are praying; those who hope are hoping.

Sannois
Sorry Sannois...

This really doesn't sound good. :(

Prayers and jingles continue.
After reading the bloodhorse article, I am crying again. ITs just so horrible.. :( :cry:

saddlesurfer
We're all gutted for sure. I kept up with Barbaro because MM is a local but I think today was my last race. Our guy is off the track, g-g-son of Northern Dancer. Thankfully, he wasn't a great money maker. The fire-marks remind me everyday though of where he came from.
Excuse me while I go kiss & hug him.

SLW
Barbaro's jockey is an amazing horseman and I tip my hat to him. A false start in a huge race then minutes later a complete breakdown which, due to his excellent skills, he got the colt under stopped before additional damage was done.

The colt is stunning, a gallant TB of perfection who was doing what he was bred to do. Heaven knows not another horse in the race has had the compassionate & wise training/race schedule this stallion has had for the past year.

Matz is a 24/7/365 trainer. The look of shock then quick analysis on his face and DD's in the grandstand made it clear that this was an awful injury.

Will keep fingers crossed that New Bolton can help Barbaro.

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
From what I remember reading yrs ago, Ruffian could have been saved. It was a different sport then.

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
From what I remember reading yrs ago, Ruffian could have been saved. It was a different sport then.

Keeping up the prayers for Barbaro...........

aahunterjumper
May. 20, 2006, 08:54 PM
Sending jingles and prayers! That's alot of injury to fix. He's an impressive fellow. It looks as if he has a lot of trust in his people, hopefully that will let him override instinct and be a good patient.

dawglover
May. 20, 2006, 08:54 PM
On TVG right now they are doing interview with vet... saying surgery likely tomorrow rather than tonite...

Ghazzu
May. 20, 2006, 08:55 PM

The initial fracture repair was successful.
She blew it apart coming out of the anesthetic.

Noctis
May. 20, 2006, 08:55 PM
Geeze, nothing in that article sounds positive or good:( Why would they wait to do surgery tomorrow or does the wife just not really know what she's taking about?

I think maybe waiting because of getting him fully stablilized and such before surgery, and more tests to see if surgery is really a feasable option. Just a guess though

LessIsMore17
May. 20, 2006, 08:56 PM

Keeping up the prayers for Barbaro...........

I think they tried, but she wasn't good in the stall to heal and kept reinjuring it.......... I could be wrong though, what is her story, anyone?

thadlo
For those wondering why they would wait until tomorrow to perform surgery - on TVG right now they are interviewing Dr. Larry Bramlage (a track vet?) who is explaining that waiting till tomorrow is better because he is a better anesthetic candidate, and also they will be able to better assess the blood flow issues he may have.

Meadow36
The surgery on Ruffian was actually a success - it's the anesthesia that killed her. She came out of it so fast that she thought she was still running the race. She bolted around the recovery room and kicked off the cast, re-breaking the leg. The owner was standing there watching and said, "that's enough".

Nowadays they wake them up in a pool of water, so they can struggle without injuring themselves. Ruffian's experience was a big part of that development in horse surgeries.

War Admiral
I'm just curious why they would wait until tomorrow??

Xctrygirl
Ok just as a quick aside.

I spoke to my vet from Belmont Park, Ny. He is a well respected vet in the US. He says, its possible to save him if the skin didn't get broken through. Linny and I are on the phone debating and rehashing and both of us agree there has been no sign of blood on the bandage.

In Baltimore, where our tv feed came from, we were on the air with the story through 7:45. No mention of anything other than the importance of the blood flow. If its good, his slim chances are gaining a bit of weight.

The comment about surgery tomorrow came from his owner. She is probably WAY more in the know than us.

All jingles jingling.

Here's a repost of the pictures link due to the fast eclipsing of thread pages:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xctrygirl/album?.dir=/51c4re2

~E

saddlesurfer
May. 20, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hey Sannois! Don't get down....we need all the good stuff flowing N.B.'s direction.

Sing Mia Song
May. 20, 2006, 08:57 PM

He may not be stable enough for surgery tonight. Gretchen Jackson's a horsewoman, she knows what she's talking about.

chicagogirl
May. 20, 2006, 08:59 PM
He confirmed it's a condylar fracture of the cannon bone and a fracture of the first phalynx.Sesamoid bones are principally intact. He did well on the ambulance and is a good patient. About 10 min away from New Bolton Center as of a few minutes ago. He said they don't know if there was significant damage to blood supply at this point. He said being in the ambulance for so long doesn't affect him too much when it comes to his prognosis. They want to delay the surgery long enough so he will be a good anesthestia patient. Surgery probably tomorrow.

ptownevt
May. 20, 2006, 09:01 PM
About why wait until tomorrow for the surgery; I think that if they're in shock, which he undoubtably is, they have to be stablized before surgery.

The photos of the lone ambulance on the highway with the police escort really got me too. Something very haunting about them.

Pam

Linny
May. 20, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm sure that those involved in Barbaro's care know more than any of us about what is best. I do hope that the lack of blood on the bandages indicates that he's got a decent chance of survival.
If tomorrow is the day, so be it. The owners are making informed decisions based on what is best for their horse.

Adamantane
May. 20, 2006, 09:03 PM
I am confused. Not a vet but if critical and limited blood supply is of concern, it's not clear to me how waiting until tomorrow to do surgery will make that blood supply situation better than it is right now. Is there a workaround while stabilizing the horse?

Would one of our vets please explain that to the rest of us, since it's counterintuitive?

Goldylox
Would that be a full 24 hrs. to stabilize?

Noctis
sitting at home in the rain just wishing I could go out and hug my dear sweet boy. Hoping that there isn't too much damage and that there is still some blood flow! Jingling and praying still more

Bundy
Dr Larry Bramlage is just a little bit more than a "track veterinarian"...... Founder of Rood and Riddle- most likely the leading equine orthopedic center in the USA - and certainly the leading one for race horses.

adamsmom
May. 20, 2006, 09:04 PM
He may not be stable enough for surgery tonight. Gretchen Jackson's a horsewoman, she knows what she's talking about.
Ditto. She's quite a caring horsewoman and owner, FWIW.