PDA

View Full Version : Michael DID IT!!! Barbaro Wins!

J. Turner
May. 6, 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm so happy for Michael Matz! I met him once and he was so nice. Woo hoo!!! Impressive. A true horseman wins the Derby.

Sannois
May. 6, 2006, 06:10 PM
I'm so happy for Michael Matz! I met him once and he was so nice. Woo hoo!!! Impressive. A true horseman wins the Derby.Great horse, fantastic trainer and Olympian, Michael is an awesome person! So cool that the kids that he saved from that plane wreck came there to see him. I had tears in my eyes! :yes:

J. Turner
May. 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
I have tears, now, too. If someone knows how to condition a horse and get in a horses head, certainly Michael does. It was so cool to see him riding. His "pony" horse was pretty nice. First time I've seen one with a happy mouth pelham a CC saddle and detachable flash.

Barbaro didn't look like he had a tongue tie on and he is a damn good mover. One of the only horses that didn't look so tight behind that he looked lame. Only Michael. He'll teach 'em a thing or two.

Oh no, did anyone see him walking back to the barn? He was off up front ... I think.

Fairview Horse Center
May. 6, 2006, 06:24 PM
I saw it - LF

Hope he just bumped himself

Louise
May. 6, 2006, 06:24 PM
I saw that too, a bit of head bobbing going on. Fingers crossed that it's nothing. He did stumble at the start.

Green Acres
May. 6, 2006, 06:31 PM
J. Turner - I saw something a little strange with Barbaro when walking back to the barn too....HOPE we were seeing nothing!!!

Anway, what a total horseman Michael Matz is!!! He is amazing and such a gentleman!!!!

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 6, 2006, 06:32 PM
I hope Barbaro is ok, I'd LOVE to see Matz and Barbaro go for the TC!1 That would just blow me, and MANY other people away.

Glimmerglass
May. 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
My hat goes off to Barbaro and Prado for the fab effort - it was really impressive with perhaps the most perfect trip possible in a 20 horse field. So Barbaro joins Needles with the 5 week layoff between the last prep race and Derby and Matz proves the skeptics wrong.

M/M Roy Jackson must be simply thrilled to bits with the double wins today - the highly impressive George Washington, whom they also bred, won across the pond in the 2,000 Guineas.

For the relative small operation (Lael Stables) they have that is wicked impressive :)

Whitehedge Farm
May. 6, 2006, 06:37 PM
An AWESOME RACE!
I have been rooting for Barbaro and Michael for the past several weeks- what a phenomanal horseman!! (and the horse wasen't so bad either :)

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 6, 2006, 06:43 PM
M/M Roy Jackson must be simply thrilled to bits with the double wins today - the highly impressive George Washington, whom they also bred, won across the pond in the 2,000 Guineas.

For the relative small operation (Lael Stables) they have that is wicked impressive :)

George Washington's win was a very impressive win, most impressive in years, major buzz about him in England right now.
Thing is, apparently O'Brien/Coolmore aren't pointing him at the Derby, they consider him more a 10F horse, so we could see his long term goal be the BC Classic at the end of the year. Now that would a tantalising thing to look forward to, a GW-Barbaro match up. I bet the Jackson's would be smiling ear to ear.

As to people making a big deal about the lay-off..... you train horses at home. Don't have to race them fit. Matz is a consumate horse man.

Glimmerglass
May. 6, 2006, 06:47 PM
George Washington's win was a very impressive win, most impressive in years, major buzz about him in England right now

Considering there was already strong talk about GW before today's race that is saying a lot!

And to think GW was originally nominated to the US Triple Crown ... which inspired the whole "how can they name him that" question on page 1 of the Derby thread ;)

CrzyCorgi
May. 6, 2006, 06:55 PM
WOW!!!!!! I have been routing for Mike & Barbaro for weeks now!! What an AWESOME horse!! I had tears in my eyes when he crossed the line!! Congrats to all his connections!!

I finally picked my first Derby winner after many years of watching!! And it was Micheal Matz's horse too!! WOW

~Darci~

PS I saw the head-bobbing at the end too! Let's keep our fingers crossed he is ok....

J. Turner
May. 6, 2006, 06:58 PM
Jerry Bailey just said the horse is "push button." Ha - with Michael Matz training him? He couldn't be anything but!

Jaegermonster
May. 6, 2006, 07:04 PM
Hooray for Barbaro! I clinicked once with MM and he was a true gentleman and very polite to everyone there. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, I'm so excited for him!
I noticed the horse looked off too, but he did almost go to knees out of the gate so maybe it's just a bump. Let's hope so, otherwise we will be another year without a Triple Crown winner. I think Barbaro could do it!

Oakstable
May. 6, 2006, 07:13 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/04/30/z1b_PBP_DERBY_0430.html

ShowMeTheGlory
May. 6, 2006, 07:14 PM
I'm so happy for Michael Matz! I met him once and he was so nice. Woo hoo!!! Impressive. A true horseman wins the Derby.

And what are Lucas and Baffert, chopped liver??:confused:

Xctrygirl
May. 6, 2006, 07:17 PM
Ok I have reviewed my Tivo about 4 times in slow mo etc.

I have to say, (knowing what Scrappy was like trying to walk to the test barn after a big race with a big crowd) I don't believe it was a head bob for lameness.

Many times the grooms hold the left side of the bridle tighter to keep the horses in line. As I watched in slow mo, you could see slight slight tugs as the groom walked to control his exuberance.

This is a common sight after races, especially big ones.

Thats what I see, and I see post race behavior most days of the week.

Just my 2 cents.

~Emily

RunForIt
May. 6, 2006, 07:17 PM
:eek: As we walked around the XC course early one morning during the Atlanta Olympics, my husband had to "relieve himself" and took off to the woods - came out of the woods talking to this guy who had tags around his neck, obviously a competitor - having whatever chitchat men do when they're peeing in the woods, Billy had managed to meet, yes, Michael Matz. Needless to say, in his annual bet with his best friend for the TC races, Billy took Barbaro today - won 3 cases of beer and is in the living room telling folks how he "peed in the woods in Conyers with the great guy who trained the Kentucky Derby winner"... woo hooo!!!! :D :cool:

Louise
May. 6, 2006, 07:19 PM
Lucas and Baffert are great race trainers, but, I haven't seen them riding in any Olympic competitions lately. Or, for that matter, pulling kids out of burning planes.

It's nice to have heros, and Michael Matz fills the bill.

mroades
May. 6, 2006, 07:21 PM
ROFL Runforit:lol:

Woohoo for the showjumpers turned racers!!!

ShowMeTheGlory
May. 6, 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm not saying Matz isn't great, but that line made me bristle.

Sannois
May. 6, 2006, 07:39 PM
Lucas and Baffert are great race trainers, but, I haven't seen them riding in any Olympic competitions lately. Or, for that matter, pulling kids out of burning planes.

He is super!! :) I dont think that is saying anything against the other trainers! I Like Baffert!

llsc
May. 6, 2006, 07:43 PM
MM really is a class act. I've never heard any other trainer thank his assistant and then thank everyone who stayed at home with the other horses. In such an exciting moment most people forget to thank the people who really make winning possible. They always thank the breeders and owners, but never assistants and grooms. That was really nice.

Showponymom Aefvue Mid Atlantic Division
May. 6, 2006, 07:49 PM
MM really is a class act. I've never heard any other trainer thank his assistant and then thank everyone who stayed at home with the other horses. In such an exciting moment most people forget to thank the people who really make winning possible. They always thank the breeders and owners, but never assistants and grooms. That was really nice.

That shows what kind of person MM is, a real class act. He is my neighbor and when his kids come to the local shows, they are like all the other parents and trainers. No big rig and grooms, they do it all themselves. The kids have really cute ponies!!!

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 6, 2006, 07:52 PM

They did not ask him to carry the American Flag for nothing in the Olympic closing ceremonies. He is a classy guy with an awesome sense of GOOD sportsmanship!

Rainbow Farm Unltd.
May. 6, 2006, 07:57 PM
:eek: As we walked around the XC course early one morning during the Atlanta Olympics, my husband had to "relieve himself" and took off to the woods - came out of the woods talking to this guy who had tags around his neck, obviously a competitor - having whatever chitchat men do when they're peeing in the woods, Billy had managed to meet, yes, Michael Matz. Needless to say, in his annual bet with his best friend for the TC races, Billy took Barbaro today - won 3 cases of beer and is in the living room telling folks how he "peed in the woods in Conyers with the great guy who trained the Kentucky Derby winner"... woo hooo!!!! :D :cool:

OK, I, for one, vote this the best Derby story! And wahoooooo for Michael and Barbaro (who has a very great name too :))

Kenike
May. 6, 2006, 08:20 PM
I am SOOOOOO glad my husband was already awake to get ready for work because I just couldn't hold my excitement. It had to look funny seeing an 8 month pregnant woman about 3 feet in front of the TV jumping up & down screaming her lungs out out of pure joy! I'm pretty glad nobody came to the door, actually.
I'm just so happy for MM to have this win!! And what a guy to thank his whole staff! Too bad I didn't bet on this race...I thought Brother Derek would do better, but I just had a feeling Barbaro was going to win (though he surprised me with that 10th gear and distance from the other horses!!)

BarnBum
May. 6, 2006, 08:30 PM
Congrats to MM!! Barbaro made a VERY nice finish, and I hope he will win the triple. That would be awsome! I'm just a big fan of racing, but hypothetically speaking and not getting hopes up too high, he would be the second undefeated horse to win the triple? Anyways, I agree that it was extremely nice of Micheal to thank his assistants and everyone.:)

eks
May. 6, 2006, 08:43 PM

Woo-hooo, my sentiments exactly..couldn't have happened to a classier guy..I wish they had showed Michael show jumping..sure would have impressed a lot of the viewers who don't really know what show jumping is...I'm so happy for him and all of the people associated with the horse..maybe it will make a lot of other trainers look at their conditioning schedules and make them ease off of these babies...

Kenike
May. 6, 2006, 08:51 PM
I agree, Eks...but I still have my times screwed up after the move. Funny how 2 hours will do that to you...anyway, I missed all the pre-race stuff I wanted to see because I was at the grocery store thinking I had plenty of time. I figured they'd do something on MM and just assumed videos from his showing days would be part of it. Too bad! Did they at least touch of the plane crash?

SED
May. 6, 2006, 08:54 PM
I also noted that he thanked his staff and ass't trainer. I truly can't remember the last Derby winning trainer that I heard do that -- at least during those precious few minutes of interview time on the air.

I also noticed the horse looking lame heading back. Gave me a sick feeling in my stomach after my jubilation, and I actually logged on this BB primarily to see if anyone had heard anything about it.

This is the first Derby in years and years and years where the horse I rooted for won!

eks
May. 6, 2006, 08:56 PM
yes, they did do a segment on the plane crash and showed the kids who he saved. (They are now grown and came to watch him at the Derby..I guess there is only so much they can do with their time constraints...what a great story all around!)

MEP
May. 6, 2006, 09:10 PM

I have to say, (knowing what Scrappy was like trying to walk to the test barn after a big race with a big crowd) I don't believe it was a head bob for lameness.

Many times the grooms hold the left side of the bridle tighter to keep the horses in line. As I watched in slow mo, you could see slight slight tugs as the groom walked to control his exuberance.

Just my 2 cents.

~Emily

This makes sense to me and hope it's right. On the trot back to the winner's circle, Barbaro looked great, even when leaning up against the pony horse.

MEP

Marli
May. 6, 2006, 09:21 PM
Wonderful Derby - Barbaro looked fantastic (talk about switching gears!), and it's fabulous for Michael Matz, IMO, he had the best conditioned horse in the field.

I am concerned, Barbaro really did have a distinct 'gimp' up front, sure hope your right it was due to the groom holding/tugging his rein. As it was *so* noticable, has anyone heard any news on this?

Meredith Clark
May. 6, 2006, 09:32 PM
My dad was the architect for Mr Matz's new training barn in Fair Hill, MD. Now he's a Derby winning designer.... sorta?

My experience with Mr Matz...hearing him talk about his new barn, training, and horses left me thinking he was a really good guy :)

CBoylen
May. 6, 2006, 09:38 PM
His "pony" horse was pretty nice. First time I've seen one with a happy mouth pelham a CC saddle and detachable flash.

It's a former racehorse. I don't know which one though.

daytimedrama
May. 6, 2006, 10:24 PM

Just my 2 cents.

~Emily

That's exactly what I saw too. Many of the excited horses looked just like that. I think that the handler just hand him tight for control and that was why he was kinda sidestepping and looking off.

Fairview Horse Center
May. 6, 2006, 10:37 PM
Like I said in my prevoius posts, it *could* have been a positioning. He was "bent" to the left, rolling out over the right shoulder and that hollows the left side of the body, and will shorten the steps on that side. The shortness did though look to me a bit more than the position would cause. I really was not seeing a head bob, but a shortness and "lightness" of stepping on the LF.

War Admiral
May. 6, 2006, 10:39 PM
Wow, that's awesome. Congratulations Mike. I unfortunately had to miss it b/c it's supposed to rain the rest of the weekend & I needed to be out working my 2 - is there a replay online anywhere?

All points
May. 6, 2006, 10:44 PM
Congrats to Micheal Matz and Barbaro! What a race. We were at the OTTB, the entire place was on their feet screaming for Barbaro and Matz. I've never seen people so happy to see a horse and trainer win. Hopefully, Barbaro is ok, and on to the Preakness. He did look like he was on his toes on the walk back, and the groom did have a big hold on him. I hope thats all it is.

PuffyDo
May. 6, 2006, 10:54 PM
I love the stories of the grown-up kids. One's wife just had a baby 4 days ago, and he left her side to be in KY.... another of the "kids" skipped out on getting his Master's Degree at his school's graduation ceremony. Pretty cool....

buttersmom
May. 6, 2006, 11:03 PM
MM was one of my idols growing up and showing - this is just SO cool!!!! I hope Barbaro comes out sound and happy.

For those wondering on this - they did show a couple of brief clips of MM show jumping. I only saw the one clip though and I watched pretty much from Oaks day on. ;)

Adelita
May. 6, 2006, 11:05 PM
Would someone please tell me what I missed...why is MM in a wheelchair? Was that him? If not, who was it? (I didn't watch the race, just pictures/clips online....)

Illyria
May. 6, 2006, 11:36 PM
Wow, that's awesome. Congratulations Mike. I unfortunately had to miss it b/c it's supposed to rain the rest of the weekend & I needed to be out working my 2 - is there a replay online anywhere?
It's online at www.kentuckyderby.com. :)

LoriO
May. 6, 2006, 11:50 PM
Would someone please tell me what I missed...why is MM in a wheelchair? Was that him? If not, who was it? (I didn't watch the race, just pictures/clips online....)

That would be the trainer of Brother Derek that was in the wheelchair. He was paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident a few years ago.

gubbyz
May. 6, 2006, 11:51 PM
Adelita, the trainer in the wheelchair was not MM, but the trainer for Brother Derek. Sorry I do not remember his name. He was injured in a moto cross accident last year.

TBpalsx3
May. 6, 2006, 11:51 PM
"Woo-hooo, my sentiments exactly..couldn't have happened to a classier guy..I wish they had showed Michael show jumping..sure would have impressed a lot of the viewers who don't really know what show jumping is...I'm so happy for him and all of the people associated with the horse..maybe it will make a lot of other trainers look at their conditioning schedules and make them ease off of these babies"

The pre show coverage on ESPN did show Micheal show jumping and of course my non horsey sister calls me at that exact moment and I missed what the report said. At least viewers on ESPN Derby coverage got an idea about what Mr. Matz did in the Olympics.

War Admiral
May. 6, 2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks so much, Illyria!!

Freebird!
May. 7, 2006, 12:06 AM
For anyone - aka those living in holes, caves or Antarctica - who missed what I consider to be one of the best Derby's in years, you can see a replay of it at: http://www.calracing.com/replays.php After registering - it's free - go to "horses" type in "Barbaro" and then click on the Derby. :)

PrairieGrass
May. 7, 2006, 12:11 AM
Oh no, did anyone see him walking back to the barn? He was off up front ... I think.

The general concensus on another board is that Barbaro's "gimpyness" was just the result of the way the groom was handling him after the race. I sure hope they are right--great race and a great horse!!!

And...how about Bluegrass Cat???? Very exciting!!

J. Turner
May. 7, 2006, 12:24 AM
yes, they did do a segment on the plane crash and showed the kids who he saved. (They are now grown and came to watch him at the Derby..I guess there is only so much they can do with their time constraints...what a great story all around!)

Any reason the infant he saved when he went back in the plane hasn't been mentioned? I don't think they mentioned the baby at all, never mind try to make contact with the family. Do you think NBC arranged the credentials etc to get the family to the Derby, or is that something MM did on his own? Not that it isn't something MM wouldn't do, but I'm sure NBC looks for "fluff" (what we call it on the skating boards) pieces.

J. Turner
May. 7, 2006, 12:34 AM
And...how about Bluegrass Cat???? Very exciting!!

My dad was at some place in Connecticut, where we're from, watching the race so he could bet a couple. I called him and told him to put $5 on Barbaro. He said he'd do an exacta and suggested Bluegrass Cat. I nixed it and said Sharp Humor. So how much would've I won if I went with 1) Barbaro, 2) Bluegrass Cat in an Exacta? I think it paid 500-something. STupid me.

teal tea
May. 7, 2006, 01:00 AM
I'm so happy for MM. :) He's always seemed like a really nice person and showed his class again today. I really hope that Barbaro did not hurt himself.

fergie
May. 7, 2006, 01:07 AM
I thought the horse was lame for a minute too, but then thought it was tension and restraint. I think the best thing about this horse winning is that MM gave him time off that no one agreed with. I hope this changes some training views and others will think of backing off to have a fresher horse instead of overtraining. I picked this horse to win only because I thought his trainer was really tuned in to what was going on with the horse mentally and physically. A good horseman is a good horseman, period. Plus, I think you can really conform your training schedule around the needs of the horse if you can get on, ride him, and "feel" what's going on in his body. This guy obviously can. I think that horse is going to win the Triple Crown if he's sound.

fergie
May. 7, 2006, 01:08 AM
I thought the horse was lame for a minute too, but then thought it was tension and restraint. I think the best thing about this horse winning is that MM gave him time off that no one agreed with. I hope this changes some training views and others will think of backing off to have a fresher horse instead of overtraining. I picked this horse to win only because I thought his trainer was really tuned in to what was going on with the horse mentally and physically. A good horseman is a good horseman, period. Plus, I think you can really conform your training schedule around the needs of the horse if you can get on, ride him, and "feel" what's going on in his body. This guy obviously can. I think that horse is going to win the Triple Crown if he's sound.

Sannois
May. 7, 2006, 06:04 AM
would it be if after all these years we have a Triple crown winner. I think if anyone can , he just might have a shot! Any way of knowing how Barbaro is and what he will be doing from now till the preakness??:winkgrin:

CANTERSoIL
May. 7, 2006, 06:41 AM

~Emily

Horses who are still very "up" on their post race high often step very short on one side trying to stay with the groom while walking them back. I didn't see the footage of him being lead back after the race, but what Emily describes is very common. I worry about them if they are just meandering along next to me after a race, much more than if they are doing the "I'm saying with you but don't really want to, please let the heck go of my mouth" one-sided hop. :winkgrin:

horsepowerco
May. 7, 2006, 07:33 AM
I was on the phonewith one of Seattle Slews old trainers as Barbaro crossed the finishline....She gave me goosebumps. (Hell the race gave me goose bumps!)

Seattle Slew- broke and trained by a world class equestrian
Undefeated going into the Derby and Triple Crown winner. He also stumbled out of the gate

Barbaro-Trained by a world class equestrian, undefeated into to derby and triple crown...he too stumbled out of the gate.

ok off to pat the hair back down on my neck! Cross your fingers group, this could be a great ride!

mommy peanut
May. 7, 2006, 08:20 AM
Congrats to Micheal Matz and his crew on a job well done with Barbaro!:yes:
Does anyone wonder how well Barbaro will bounce back for the Preakness and Belmont(if ran in those)? With his history of having lots of time off in between his races, I wonder how he'll do with running 3 races in 5 weeks time.:confused: While I think it was a great race and Barbaro had a beautiful trip, I'm not one to jump immediately on the "GREAT" horse/TC bandwagon.
Don't get me wrong I think very highly of MM and what he has accomplished so far in his life! I'm just curious to see what the hard core race mongers think of Barbaro and his chances.

J. Turner
May. 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
I was on the phonewith one of Seattle Slews old trainers as Barbaro crossed the finishline....She gave me goosebumps. (Hell the race gave me goose bumps!)

Seattle Slew- broke and trained by a world class equestrian
Undefeated going into the Derby and Triple Crown winner. He also stumbled out of the gate

Barbaro-Trained by a world class equestrian, undefeated into to derby and triple crown...he too stumbled out of the gate.

ok off to pat the hair back down on my neck! Cross your fingers group, this could be a great ride!

Who trained Seattle Slew, and what was his equestrian legacy?

farmgirl88
May. 7, 2006, 04:40 PM
As reported by Michael, the horse is doing well...nothing wrong and he apparently said that he is discussing further races with the owners so no deffinate answer from him yet about the Preakness. I'm usually very skeptical, but i truly think we have something special here, it brings tears to my eyes

Fairview Horse Center
May. 7, 2006, 05:45 PM
Super news! Keeping fingers and toes crossed here for the next one up.

Hocus Focus
May. 7, 2006, 05:57 PM
Yesterday was kind of cool I was in the middle of photographing a wedding. Someone suddenly yells.. It's Derby time! With that said, we stopped picture taking, and ran into the reception hall where they had two giant screen tv's basically set up like a Sports Bar and the sound system was all wired through the sound sytem set up for the dance later so it was a great visual and everyone could see and hear it well. A great race to witness and congratulations to one of America's finest horseman at that.

Congratulations to all!