PDA

View Full Version : The Rolex "Did Anyone Hear/See What Happened to..." thread.

pwynnnorman
Apr. 29, 2006, 12:18 PM
Did anyone hear what happened to Donna Smith? I had to answer the phone and didn't hear the rest of her round.

Bensmom
Apr. 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
Donna had 17.6 time penalties and no jumping penalties and currently stands in 10th. She had to change her path in the middle of the H.O.L. and take the longer route.

She looked great though!! :D

pwynnnorman
Apr. 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Bensmom. Go Donna, yeah!

pegasus209
Apr. 29, 2006, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Hyperlite? Is he okay? They are saying he broke down.
thanks

CWO
Apr. 29, 2006, 05:21 PM
Hyperlite is shown on the leader board as being in 9th place. Hope he's ok.

pwynnnorman
Apr. 29, 2006, 05:51 PM
I saw that McKinlaigh bled again--is that an injury or something else? I asked about this after the Fork when I think I'd heard the same thing happened, but I never got any replies.

BigRuss1996
Apr. 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
He broke down after the course.... very sad

Does anyone know what happened to Hyperlite? Is he okay? They are saying he broke down.
thanks

Miss Maddie
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:05 PM
By "broke down" do you mean that his competitive career is most likely over or is this (hopefully) just an injury? Very sad.

fergie
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:12 PM
He "bled" is a common racehorse problem. It means that little capillaries in the lungs burst from the pressure and lung capacity/function was compromised. That's why a lot of racehorses get Lasix - a diuretic that lowers blood pressure, thus less pressure in the lungs and less capillary damage. Racehorses are only running for a short time, a couple of minutes, and event horses are going much longer, thus dehydration from Lasix (even if it were legal...) would be a bigger problem. The horse will recover but it's not good for his eventing future if he bleeds x-country...

pwynnnorman
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:22 PM
Are you sure about that, Fergie? I resisted using the term "bleeder" because it can be seen as such a negative.

Emstah
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:28 PM
Did anyone get to see Sally and Troy go? I know they went clean w/ some time, but just wondering if anyone had a story :)

NRB
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:29 PM
Why did Foxx-Pitt retire his second horse? I saw them jumping around fine then next thing I see on the monitor was him trotting the horse and walking away.

Why did Amy Tryon scratch Poggio before XC?

BigRuss1996
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:37 PM
Not sure at this point of him returning or not. He has a bowed tendon, I would imagine that can't be determined until he gets a scan, etc.

By "broke down" do you mean that his competitive career is most likely over or is this (hopefully) just an injury? Very sad.

kcrubin
Apr. 29, 2006, 06:49 PM
I can't bring up the results page from the Rolex site and the Chronicle site doesn't list them in order of finish.
Can anyone post that order of finish from the Rolex site?

south_pacific
Apr. 29, 2006, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know why Mary Grantham and Ides of March didn't run? Also, why did Cathy withdraw Ocotillo?

fergie
Apr. 29, 2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know for sure about being a "bleeder", but there was blood in the nostril and someone said he bled, so I just am going by what happens at the track when we see this.... Usually bleeders at the track are O.K. for eventing or even steeplechase racing because they don't go at the top speeds that they do for flat racing and the blood pressure is lower, so ?????

annikak
Apr. 29, 2006, 07:48 PM
What I know-

Does not surprise me about Bucks horse- they went out hitting it hard (Nigel commented a bit on that, and...well, it appeared that way to me, too) and at the new bank, he slipped badly, and then got over it. Good bit of riding, great horse, but sad. they did finish, but he looked tired.

yes, Ginas horse did bleed. And he was TIRED when he hit the 3rd water. Actually looked lame, but who knows? Gina just missed what was happening earlier, and when she saw, she pulled him up.

WFP horse looked tired, too, and he retired before the HOL, which again, seemed wise. I had the thought that maybe because he had been nursing the horse around, perhaps because of his earlier problem, he thought better of it. I was sitting next to Dorathy C and she thought not, so I am wrong, but its something I thought of.

Donna rode GREAT and finally is getting where she deserves to be. She can ride and he is a great horse.

Sara and Tony were...El Premero!!!!! Awesome ride, and she deserves every bit of glory right now.:yes:

Sally, another great round, with no story except...GO GIRL!

What can you say...GOO WOODY!

Hoys last ride was very impressive, foot perfect, and the fastest of the day!

back in the barns, I guess that Nicky Henley is not doing very well. I guess he is getting treatment at the park, so is not across the street, but they have been working on him for while.

No idea anout Poggio.

but the BEST of all is Jenna and Tumble Dry. That horse is 18, has survived west nile, is totally trained by Jenna and she does this ALL on her own. She is amazing, and I am so proud of her, I could burst!:D

maplebrook
Apr. 29, 2006, 07:57 PM
I'm so happy for Jenna and Tumble Dry. I stabled next to them at Richland Park last year. What a sweet girl and an amazing horse!

annikak
Apr. 29, 2006, 08:08 PM
its somewhat sad that she has not gotten the attention that some others have gotten. But the best part is she does not care- she still is just her kind self. We were walking the course, (Nice of her to ask me and let me go with her...) and there was this older gentleman who was having some trouble walking and she walked with him, trying to get a shuttle to stop for him. She is indeed a sweet kind girl and Obie is amazing!

North Dakota
Apr. 29, 2006, 09:00 PM
were any horses or riders seriously hurt today? i hope not! i don't like seeing anyone hurt they all work so hard to get this far(horses AND riders) and it is so sad when they fall, let alone get hurt!

Sammy's Mom
Apr. 29, 2006, 09:02 PM
I saw Gina go by at Keeper's Brush and noticed blood in both nostrils. I was with a human pulmonary surgeon new to the sport and he and I had an interesting discussion. Anyway, I am glad to hear she pulled him up. It is hard to be aware of what is happening with the horses face at those speeds.

It turned out to be a great day at the park. Saw Steven Bradley and FROM in the morning and he did not look happy about having to withdraw him. Amy Tryon has the cutest dog--it ran off from its dog sitter and my daughter found him--what a thrill for her.

All in all it was an interesting day. But that's Eventing!!

polarbear
Apr. 29, 2006, 09:07 PM
Anyone know his/her story???

Thanks

pwynnnorman
Apr. 29, 2006, 09:28 PM
Sure sounds like a couple of great stories were missed in the run-up this year. I'd like to hear more about Courageous Comet and Tumble Dry, too. I hope whoever writes up the report for COTH gives them some ink, regardless of where they finish.

alterforsaftey
Apr. 29, 2006, 09:51 PM
Maybe I am not seeing it correctly but did you folks say Gina's horse broke down or bled or both???

If he bled I do not consider that breaking down and then I saw a comment about a bow?

thanks

*jumper*
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
I would post the whole scoreboard but its extremely long and it gets all bunched up and weird sooo.... here it is.
http://www.rk3de.org/scoreboard_popup.php

annikak
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:05 PM
Maybe I am not seeing it correctly but did you folks say Gina's horse broke down or bled or both???

If he bled I do not consider that breaking down and then I saw a comment about a bow?

thanks

Gina horse bled and bucks hyperlite
*might* have bowed

*jumper*
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
I can't bring up the results page from the Rolex site and the Chronicle site doesn't list them in order of finish.
Can anyone post that order of finish from the Rolex site?

I would post the whole thing but its extremely long and it gets all bunched up and weird sooo.... here it is.

There's a leader board and a scoreboard and I don't know which one is the right one so here's both.

Scoreboard:

Leaderboard:

EventerAJ
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:24 PM
I heard a word on Poggio... the Team told her not to run him, or she didn't need to run him, so she withdrew. I don't think Poggi would have had a problem out there. ;) And his dressage had some very lovely moments yesterday.

Saw McKinleigh bleeding at the HOL, probably good that she pulled up.

I know it's a championship year and all, but I was *VERY* disappointed to see so many R's out there. One stop? Retired, done, going home. I totally understand the "saving your horse for another day", but where's the spirit of "try again?" I saw several "soft" stops/runouts, and it appeared the riders just gave up and left. It was a little disheartening, particularly for spectators who spend $$$ to see the best of the best do their thing...only to give up and quit at the first hint of imperfection. I understand all the dynamics going on under the surface (team decisions, ramifications, horse NQR, etc) but some people around me were disappointed to see the riders just give up-- again, NOT because it appeared to be a dangerous situation.

From a commercial perspective... I can see a problem here if this trend continues (on "non-olympic" years). The spectators came to see a show-- gutsy riders and horses giving it their all. It's not as much fun to sit at the HOL all day, and only half the riders make it that far (because the rest retired at the coffin, infield water, or sunken road).

I do think the course was challenging, but not particularly more difficult than in the past (I could be wrong, I didn't walk it start to finish). And IMHO, few of the horses out there had that extra-special gleam in their eyes-- some did, but not as many as usual. I noticed many horses "wobble" here and there-- not quite straight, or sucking back, taking a peek--just not as forward and brave as usual. Whether some of the horses were a bit "off" without their s'chase, I can't say. But it makes me wonder. Of course there were definitely horses with 110% of their hearts in it-- eyes bright, ears pricked, dragging riders boldly over anything and everything. But in my observations, it was not as apparent all over. JMHO.

hb
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:26 PM
Do you think, perhaps, when it was a full 3-day just finishing felt like an accomplishment, even if you were in 29th place? But with the modified format, if you're out of the placings then why finish?

claire
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
There's a leader board and a scoreboard and I don't know which one is the right one so here's both.

Scoreboard:

Leaderboard:

You know, these sites came up just fine for me Thursday and Friday.
Then today all I get is a "Notepad" with al sorts of garbly gook! :confused:

(I DID allow pop-ups...)

EventerAJ
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:39 PM
Do you think, perhaps, when it was a full 3-day just finishing felt like an accomplishment, even if you were in 29th place? But with the modified format, if you're out of the placings then why finish?

That may be part of it.

Also, if (and I mean *IF*) you can do 3, 4, 5 (shudder) short CCIs in a year, completing any given CCI doesn't mean as much. I mean, you just give up ("save" your horse) go home, and try again in a couple weeks. Rolex isn't something to look forward to every year...something to DREAM of... it's "just" another event. Might as well be a horse trial.

bigdreamer
Apr. 29, 2006, 10:59 PM
That may be part of it.

Also, if (and I mean *IF*) you can do 3, 4, 5 (shudder) short CCIs in a year, completing any given CCI doesn't mean as much. I mean, you just give up ("save" your horse) go home, and try again in a couple weeks. Rolex isn't something to look forward to every year...something to DREAM of... it's "just" another event. Might as well be a horse trial.

:cry:

hb
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:00 PM
...Rolex isn't something to look forward to every year...something to DREAM of... it's "just" another event. Might as well be a horse trial.

That thought makes me so sad.

Sannois
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:14 PM
Sure sounds like a couple of great stories were missed in the run-up this year. I'd like to hear more about Courageous Comet and Tumble Dry, too. I hope whoever writes up the report for COTH gives them some ink, regardless of where they finish.
I am sure we will be hearing more from them! :yes:

4EVENTS
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:15 PM
These riders are not just giving up! There may be some mentality of the "save the horse for another day" but I think that riders feel that their horses may not be performing to their top ability, and made wise decisions to retire on course. Sometimes horses have their bad days, and it happened to be on cross country day at Rolex! It really is bizzarre how there was a total flip in the standings; who ever knows what is going to happen in eventing? Really? Keep your hopes up for our top riders, just because they might not be competing tomorrow, there is a heck of a field getting ready to show jump and they need our encouragement too, and plenty for the spectators!!!

fergie
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:17 PM
EvdeterAJ,
I think that this short format is proving to be MUCH harder on the horses, and by the time we can figure out a program or make changes there will be more carnage. I don't think you CAN do 3, 4, or 5 short CCI's in a year because it's NOT just another horse trial for the horses! Rolex isn't just another event or you never would have seen so many R's and E's! This is just a symptom of the disease!!! They had to go either really fast or very slow in Rolex and never really had a run to get into a rhythm galloping where the horse could "recover" a bit. Stopping and starting is more taxing than going a longer, slower distance as in the long format. Not to mention that roads and tracks and steeplechase act as the warmup, pipeopener, and cool down to mentally and physically prepare the horse for what is needed on the cross-country course. That's what veteran Jimmy Wofford thinks too. Anyone who ran track or cross-country realizes this too.
The smart riders were the ones who knew they needed to withdraw for their horses' welfare and did it. It is ALWAYS the rider's responsibility to think of the horse FIRST, regardless of the number of spectators that are there watching, regardless of what they paid to come and watch!!!! The cost is just getting TOO high for the horses and the wise riders are recognizing this. They should be COMPLIMENTED for thinking of their horses first!!!!!!

Windy Willow
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm rooting for Jessica and French Twist!!!!Frenchie watched my mare foal last Monday morning! They stayed over night on their way from Fl Horse Park to KY , Frenchie played in my paddock and that night my filly "WillowWood" was born!:) Jessica was the first to pet her(besides me:)

Go Jessica!!!!

Sannois
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:24 PM
That may be part of it.

Took alot of the glory out of it I would say! :no: :cry:

Sannois
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:27 PM
EvdeterAJ,
I think that this short format is proving to be MUCH harder on the horses, and by the time we can figure out a program or make changes there will be more carnage. I don't think you CAN do 3, 4, or 5 short CCI's in a year because it's NOT just another horse trial for the horses! Rolex isn't just another event or you never would have seen so many R's and E's! This is just a symptom of the disease!!! They had to go either really fast or very slow in Rolex and never really had a run to get into a rhythm galloping where the horse could "recover" a bit. Stopping and starting is more taxing than going a longer, slower distance as in the long format. Not to mention that roads and tracks and steeplechase act as the warmup, pipeopener, and cool down to mentally and physically prepare the horse for what is needed on the cross-country course. That's what veteran Jimmy Wofford thinks too. Anyone who ran track or cross-country realizes this too.
The smart riders were the ones who knew they needed to withdraw for their horses' welfare and did it. It is ALWAYS the rider's responsibility to think of the horse FIRST, regardless of the number of spectators that are there watching, regardless of what they paid to come and watch!!!! The cost is just getting TOO high for the horses and the wise riders are recognizing this. They should be COMPLIMENTED for thinking of their horses first!!!!!!
I believe you are exactly right! :sigh:

LAZ
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
I can probably tell you just about what ever you want to know about Jenna and Obie. I bought Obie as a 4 year old, sold him to Lani Gilliam who rode him through Prelim (she was in my barn and I coached her through prelim) and then hooked Jenna and Obie up when Lani was ready to move on. Jenna at the time had done one Training on Benny, I brought her along from BN. Jenna and the horse have had an amazing and special partnership nearly from the get go. They did one training event together (Mayfest, 2001), moved up to Prelim, did very well that summer and qualifed for the fall three days. They did the MSCDTDA 3 day that fall as a Jr rider and were 5th, graduated early from high school (with excellent grades) so she could go to FL to be prepared and qualified for the 2002 NAYRC, ran the ** at the 2002 NAYRC, ran clear on x/c but incurred a suspensory injury that precluded finishing. While he was on lay off from the suspensory he got WNV, in spite of being vaccinated to protocol. Jenna called me up in tears that morning looking for advice, and we decided his best hope was Rood and Riddle (she lives equal distance from R & R and Purdue Univ), he was down in the trailer when she got there, they got him up, he wobbled off and they thought they were going to lose him several times. He didn't give up, and neither did she, he came home about 3 weeks after that, skinny, ataxic and demoralized. The gleaming athlete was reduced to a skinned up, banged up skinny wobbling horse. About December he started to show more interest, Jenna packed him up and took him to FL with her that winter where she started walking him and rehabbing him. They came home, they did Training at Stillwater HT in May, where he completed and galloped around joyously. They moved back up to Prelim at Mayfest, where they won. They moved back up to YOI at Champagne Run, where they won. That fall they ran Radnor and just finished outside the top 20. The following March they ran Pine Top Advanced, and ran clear. They ran the Fairhill *** short format in 2004, clear on x/c but time, and did Rolex last spring where they retired after he hit the creekside oxer, hard. They ran Fair Hill again last fall and had an unlucky run out on x/c, but after a bit of a shaky start this spring ran well at Red Hills *** CIC and the Fork *** CIC (where they broke the top 10, which has been a goal of Jenna's). They were outstanding today, running around like the Obie of old, and Jenna did a wonderful job of keeping him organized and riding him forward.

They're truly a once-in-lifetime type of pair. It's a joy to have had a hand in it.

LAZ
Apr. 29, 2006, 11:39 PM
I forgot to mention that Jenna has always worked multiple jobs (grew and sold Haloween pumpkins for $$ at 14) to pay for her show and training expenses. Her parents have helped by providing her a truck and trailer, and have a small barn on their working crop farm, but Jenna makes her own money and is also a college student that gets good grades. Obie (Tumble Dry) is a very difficult horse and Jenna made such a partnership with him, I really, really hope that things work out to allow her to find another horse of his calibre.

Bensmom
Apr. 30, 2006, 12:07 AM
LAZ -- thanks so much for their wonderful story!! :D

I've chatted with Jenna's mom in the stabling office and she was so nice and I've enjoyed watching Jenna and Obie and was very happy for them today! :yes: :D

This is all about the partnership, and I have to commend the riders who knew it was time to pull up today. That has to be a terribly hard decision when you have spent so much time, effort, and money getting there, and when you have fans and sponsors you know you are going to disappoint. You have to know when they make the choice to pull up out there that it is the absolute best thing to do.

Speaking of partnerships, I have to say that I only saw Ralph and Billy through the head of the lake, but I don't know when I've seen them more in sync and them look like a happier pair! :D :yes: Watching the prep for Rolex has been a new experience for me this year and I haven't even been around that much -- I know how much effort, time, sweat, love and worry have gone into that 11 minutes today.

Wow. I feel badly for the guys that pulled up, but understand why they did.

LAZ
Apr. 30, 2006, 12:21 AM
Nice and chatting describe Kathy pretty well--I don't think she's ever met a stranger. :winkgrin: Bless her heart, she ring stewarded for me at our first day of spring schooling show in March--the sun was shining, but the wind was absolutely howling all day long and I don't think it every broke 35, but good old Kath was happy and made all the competitors on time and cheerful all day long. She truly deserved hazardous duty pay.

LAZ
Apr. 30, 2006, 12:36 AM
Did anyone get a chance to watch the Pony Club kids while at Rolex? It's a hoot! The Psycho's defended last year's win and won it by *one* point this year!

adamsmom
Apr. 30, 2006, 12:38 AM
boys and girls.
There was no let up in this course. It taxed horse & rider almost from start to finish. That first trip through the infield? If you had a tough ride, it was hard to get over. Ask Kim S.

I saw very few soft stops.
Most riders tried to get things done, but when you can't, you can't. Personally, I'd rather see someone retire than continue on and risk injury to themselves or their horse. There were a couple today who didn't pay attention to their horses and could've ended the day much worse.

I saw a LOT of tired horses and tired riders.

I'm not endorsing the short format, but I don't see this as just another horse trial. I don't believe anyone can run 5 or 6 of these a year and be OK with that.

JMO....

Sannois
Apr. 30, 2006, 07:54 AM
I can probably tell you just about what ever you want to know about Jenna and Obie. I bought Obie as a 4 year old, sold him to Lani Gilliam who rode him through Prelim (she was in my barn and I coached her through prelim) and then hooked Jenna and Obie up when Lani was ready to move on. Jenna at the time had done one Training on Benny, I brought her along from BN. Jenna and the horse have had an amazing and special partnership nearly from the get go. They did one training event together (Mayfest, 2001), moved up to Prelim, did very well that summer and qualifed for the fall three days. They did the MSCDTDA 3 day that fall as a Jr rider and were 5th, graduated early from high school (with excellent grades) so she could go to FL to be prepared and qualified for the 2002 NAYRC, ran the ** at the 2002 NAYRC, ran clear on x/c but incurred a suspensory injury that precluded finishing. While he was on lay off from the suspensory he got WNV, in spite of being vaccinated to protocol. Jenna called me up in tears that morning looking for advice, and we decided his best hope was Rood and Riddle (she lives equal distance from R & R and Purdue Univ), he was down in the trailer when she got there, they got him up, he wobbled off and they thought they were going to lose him several times. He didn't give up, and neither did she, he came home about 3 weeks after that, skinny, ataxic and demoralized. The gleaming athlete was reduced to a skinned up, banged up skinny wobbling horse. About December he started to show more interest, Jenna packed him up and took him to FL with her that winter where she started walking him and rehabbing him. They came home, they did Training at Stillwater HT in May, where he completed and galloped around joyously. They moved back up to Prelim at Mayfest, where they won. They moved back up to YOI at Champagne Run, where they won. That fall they ran Radnor and just finished outside the top 20. The following March they ran Pine Top Advanced, and ran clear. They ran the Fairhill *** short format in 2004, clear on x/c but time, and did Rolex last spring where they retired after he hit the creekside oxer, hard. They ran Fair Hill again last fall and had an unlucky run out on x/c, but after a bit of a shaky start this spring ran well at Red Hills *** CIC and the Fork *** CIC (where they broke the top 10, which has been a goal of Jenna's). They were outstanding today, running around like the Obie of old, and Jenna did a wonderful job of keeping him organized and riding him forward.

They're truly a once-in-lifetime type of pair. It's a joy to have had a hand in it.
How old is Obie, Laz??

annikak
Apr. 30, 2006, 08:05 AM
Laz-

I know Obie and Jenna feel the same about you.:)
It is VERY special to watch....

Onto the jog....

Sannois, he is 18.

Cody
Apr. 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
EvdeterAJ,

I talked to a BNR several times as he's a friend (and not I haven't asked Ralph but I think he would agree) and this person is all for the long format. He does not agree with the short format at all. He feels that the horses need the steeplechase to open the "pipe" to speak of. He is competing at Rolex this year and is till in the hunt. So it will be interesting to hear what he has to say the next time I ask for notes.

And on another note, for anyone that is there.....what was Ralph singing?

Nancy

hrg
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:12 AM
In 2006 57 horses started.

3 were eliminated, 2 of which where MR
10 retired on course
6 withdrawn before xc
37 finished the day

in 2005 37 horses started

1 was eliminated , not sure if it was MR or not
7 retired on course
1 withdrew
3 withdraw before the jog
1 spun at the jog
22 horses finished

I didnt figure out the percentages, but thought a comparison would be helpful.

And for the record, nobody took their fitness preparation lightly. No one is talking about doing several CCI**** in a year.

flyingchange
Apr. 30, 2006, 10:38 AM
LAZ - That is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing it.

On another topic, I am so happy for Nina Fout and 3 Magic Beans! They deserved a good round! :) Did anyone watch them go? She must be so happy. I hope they show his round on the DVD.

Yay for Upstage and Karen too!!!!

It does seem a bit obvious that something aint quite right with this new format.

Thank goodness everyone (horses and riders) made it home safely - either in hand at the walk or through the finish line. I imagine it must have been wrenching to make the decision to pull up for the ones that did.

bigdreamer
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:01 AM
In 2006 57 horses started.

3 were eliminated, 2 of which where MR
10 retired on course
6 withdrawn before xc
37 finished the day

in 2005 37 horses started

1 was eliminated , not sure if it was MR or not
7 retired on course
1 withdrew
3 withdraw before the jog
1 spun at the jog
22 horses finished

I didnt figure out the percentages, but thought a comparison would be helpful.

And for the record, nobody took their fitness preparation lightly. No one is talking about doing several CCI**** in a year.

thank you for the side by side.

what were the MR's this year? Fall of horse or...?

and as for Ralph singing- LOL! I love that guy, he is such a hoot. I wasn't there, so I couldn't tell you, but after watching a few of his clinics I can't get enough of him! :)

ottb dressage
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:01 AM
does anyone know why FROM was withdrawn before cross country?

i too love to hear about all the underdog success stories, and tony and sara really came through, can't help but root for them.

Bensmom
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:33 AM
I saw a mention somewhere that From was withdrawn after he twisted a shoe in a schooling session on Friday. :(

maplebrook
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:37 AM
Bigdreamer-
The 2 MRs were both for falls of horses. William Fox Pitt did a flip into the Head of the Lake on Coup de Coeur when the horse hung a leg. I saw it on the webcam - it was pretty scary looking, but they walked away.
Then Mara Dean and Nicki Henley had a fall at fence 14 (Ditch and Palisade), but I don't know the details.

ottb dressage
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:44 AM
oh no, what a shame, poor stephen!!!!!!!!!! i hope from will be ok! thanks for letting me know, i take lessons with stephen and was at the final olympic schooling where from had to be withdrawn. stephen was just so sad and distressed that night, but i'm glad to see good old joshua came through for him yesterday.

magnolia73
Apr. 30, 2006, 01:12 PM
I'm rooting for Jessica and French Twist!!!!Frenchie watched my mare foal last Monday morning! They stayed over night on their way from Fl Horse Park to KY , Frenchie played in my paddock and that night my filly "WillowWood" was born! Jessica was the first to pet her(besides me

Go Jessica!!!!

I hope she wins the whole event..... she sure deserves it and has the ability to do it. And her horse is a hoot!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Apr. 30, 2006, 01:25 PM
I'm rooting for Jessica and French Twist!!!!Frenchie watched my mare foal last Monday morning! They stayed over night on their way from Fl Horse Park to KY , Frenchie played in my paddock and that night my filly "WillowWood" was born!:) Jessica was the first to pet her(besides me:)

Go Jessica!!!!

My husband jokingly asked where all the Belgian/TB crosses were since that is what he rides. Sitting in 4th place of course ;) . Go Frenchie!!!!

Ishi
Apr. 30, 2006, 02:05 PM
I saw Jessica and French Twist at Rebbeca this summer, just make the water look like a walk in the park, they were awesome to watch, so cool! I have been rooting for those two this year at Rolex, I hope stadium goes well for them!

maxxtrot
Apr. 30, 2006, 03:50 PM
would someone please let me know how ralph did on c.c yesteday. also if everything was ok on the jog this moring. thanks. also glad to see everything is ok for the horses/riders that withdrew and had trouble yesterday.

bigdreamer
Apr. 30, 2006, 03:51 PM
4 BAD BOY BILLY Ralph L. Hill USA 61.85 55.93 59.63 -- 61.3 =35 -- 14.0 75.3 =23 16 -- 91.3 24

finished 24th! :)

Madison
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:06 PM
would someone please let me know how ralph did on c.c yesteday. also if everything was ok on the jog this moring. thanks. also glad to see everything is ok for the horses/riders that withdrew and had trouble yesterday.

I got a fun picture of Ralph on cross-country yesterday http://community.webshots.com/photo/2652439020048355902xnAtdd

deltawave
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
That corner was where Ralph "hailed about 5 cabs", as Nigel the announcer put it. :lol:

I didn't hear him singing, more's the pity, but heard him give a little smug "yah-hah-hah" under his breath as his horse nailed the Lexington bank/water. :D Can ANYONE possibly be having more fun than Ralph at Rolex?

Jazzy Lady
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:23 PM
EvdeterAJ,

Here Here! Thank you! Right on...

To think that these riders are sitting at the very top of the leaderboard and if the horse just *isn't right* to retire when the fences are that big and that complicated is a very wise decision. Nobody (especially the random spectators) know the horses more than the riders on their backs, so people can speculate all they want that these riders are "giving up" and get mad that they aren't continuing because *boo hoo* I paid money to watch. There are much higher costs in this sport, especially at the **** level than the price of admission...

Hony
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:36 PM
It is good to see that people are retiring before causing damage to their horses, but it is also interesting that this year, when the weather has been perfect almost half of the horse/rider teams didn't complete. I wonder what has caused this to happen. It seems to me from the comments that people have made that the course was comparable to past Rolex events. Can someone enlighten me?
I will be interested to hear what that rider that someone mentioned who liked the long format has to say about it.

maxxtrot
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:53 PM
thanks for the pix, that is pretty funny. their is no-one and i mean no-one that has more fun than ralph on c.c. it does not matter what horse he is on, he just has a blast. that is why it is fun and such a learning experenice to ride or clinic with him. there are very few trainers that are good with both horse/riders, ralph happens to be one of the very few! i have and always be a huge fan of his!:) way to go ralph!

FrittSkritt
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:56 PM
What's that white thing on Bad Boy Billy's bridle? It looks like something I've seen at racetracks, but I'm not sure of its name or purpose.

belambi
Apr. 30, 2006, 09:56 PM
Great to see so many thinking of the horse.. Our Aussies are naturally all very happy..and obviously selectors were watching with interest for WEG selection.. That is probably why many retired..cause maybe (??) some are actually entered for Badminton..just in case they didnt have the best run at Rolex?..I know some of the UK riders are.

ohioprospect
Apr. 30, 2006, 10:39 PM
Cathy Wieschhoff's Ocotillo came up NQR at the Wednesday check. She said on Friday that it was a strained sesamoid ligament and he should be fine after about 3 months of R and R.

adamsmom
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:28 PM
He said that after that Head of the Lake he saw 2 little girls in pigtails and started singing "That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it...".
They went crazy.

Then, of course, he started singing "Bad Boys" later in the course, but I can't remember where.

If anyone doubts Ralph is having the most fun out there, you shoulda checked out his socks for the trot up.

:lol:

Candle
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:33 PM
What's that white thing on Bad Boy Billy's bridle? It looks like something I've seen at racetracks, but I'm not sure of its name or purpose.

I believe it's called an Australian Cheeker (I used to read british pony club books growing up, so maybe it's called something different in the US) and its purpose is to hold the bit up in the horse's mouth so he can't get his tongue over it.

AppJumpr08
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:35 PM
I believe the ground was actually a bit hard on the course.. That, coupled with a larger then usual track because it's a selection year, probably had alot to do with the decisions made :)

It is good to see that people are retiring before causing damage to their horses, but it is also interesting that this year, when the weather has been perfect almost half of the horse/rider teams didn't complete. I wonder what has caused this to happen. It seems to me from the comments that people have made that the course was comparable to past Rolex events. Can someone enlighten me?
I will be interested to hear what that rider that someone mentioned who liked the long format has to say about it.

lmlacross
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:43 PM
Bigdreamer-
The 2 MRs were both for falls of horses. William Fox Pitt did a flip into the Head of the Lake on Coup de Coeur when the horse hung a leg. I saw it on the webcam - it was pretty scary looking, but they walked away.
Then Mara Dean and Nicki Henley had a fall at fence 14 (Ditch and Palisade), but I don't know the details.

It was a very scary fall (William's). I was sitting in the front row on the edge of the lane AT the direct drop into the HOL- had a perfect view of horse and rider's near side. I am uploading photos to my Kodak gallery and will post a link. Horse flipped into the water, rolling up on his neck, stood stunned for a moment then trotted back out and was caught. Could have been a very ugly scene...as it was, very scary. My friend saw William walk the horse away and saw a cut on his shoulder, but nothing else apparent other than being quite shaken.

Wonderful weekend, fairly cooperative weather- a good time was had by all. I'll post a link to my pics soon.

LML

titan
Apr. 30, 2006, 11:57 PM
Buck & Hyperlite had a rough ride at 23A&B. He knocked himself hard up front, stumbled onto the bank and kind of bellied over the log. I don't know if that was where he hurt himself but it looked kind of scary. Hoping for the best for him.

Foxygrl516
May. 1, 2006, 12:12 AM
:-) I have Ralph on video galloping to the Trakener (fence 6) singing "Bad Boys" at the top of his lungs. Then when he cleared the water in the infield (right after the trakener) he turned and waved at everyone. haha. It was great. He is SUCH a crowd pleaser!!! When he passed back by to jump #24 (Keeper's brush) everyone was cheering and yelling for him the whole way down the hill to the fence and then afterward. (Nobody cheered for any of the other riders except for clapping when they cleared it). He had quite the fan club!

shea'smom
May. 1, 2006, 12:47 AM
I saw WFP pull up, the horse was going well in the sunken road field. I heard maybe it was the William was hurting, not the horse, so he had to pull up.
Ralph had the whole crowd going after his show jumping! It was quite the show.
Nina and Three Magic Beans got a big hand after their round today, they announced that is was his last four star. :sadsmile:
BEcky had a baad slip after the liverpool. I was sitting right behind them, I though she was going to fall off for a second. Then the rails started falling. :( She got a big hand at the awards, too.
What about Leslie Law, I saw him from a distance through the sunken road, then I finally realized I never saw him again?

Eventer13
May. 1, 2006, 01:38 AM
Yea, Becky's slip was pretty bad. I wonder if she would have had a better round without that slip (did it hurt her horse's confidence?)

Show jumping certainly was very influential this event.

lmlacross
May. 1, 2006, 01:59 AM
Here's the link to my webshots album of photos taken at Rolex. I spent most of yesterday at the Head of the Lake (ventured to the infield for a short while) and was in the front row of the East stands today.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lmlacross

Enjoy!

LML

p.s.- The first photo is at the HOL, WFP in the second before taking off and that nasty looking spill.

tarheelmd07
May. 1, 2006, 03:04 AM
He said that after that Head of the Lake he saw 2 little girls in pigtails and started singing "That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it...".
They went crazy.

Then, of course, he started singing "Bad Boys" later in the course, but I can't remember where.

If anyone doubts Ralph is having the most fun out there, you shoulda checked out his socks for the trot up.

Hahahaha...the socks were briliant! I have a video of his trot-up that I'll try to upload and post. He was a hoot in stadium today as well :lol:

lstevenson
May. 1, 2006, 03:36 AM
back in the barns, I guess that Nicky Henley is not doing very well. I guess he is getting treatment at the park, so is not across the street, but they have been working on him for while.

annikak-

Is Nicky OK? I saw him fall into the ditch, but I thought he came out unhurt. Is he injured?:(

Badger
May. 1, 2006, 07:08 AM
Yea, Becky's slip was pretty bad. I wonder if she would have had a better round without that slip (did it hurt her horse's confidence?)

Show jumping certainly was very influential this event.

Yes, that was a nasty slip. It looked like Comet's whole hindend slipped out from underneath him, and Becky was nearly off for a split moment, then they were standing there at a full halt regrouping. They were halted four(?) strides out from the direct (more difficult route) at the option fences 8/9. I'm sure both horse and rider must have been rattled from that slip. She had to do the oxer to the skinny verticle from that halt with no approach to speak of and rails on both came down. Just heartbreaking to watch. IMO that slip definitely cost rails and time and tens of thousands of dollars. :(

Whyevernot55
May. 1, 2006, 08:00 AM
I'm interested to know if the horse and rider who fell into the ditch and palisades are alright as well-was that Nicky Henley?
I was also there for WFP and Coup de Couer's fall into the water. All we could see over the heads in front of us (we were next to the creek oxer) was the horse jump, and his hind feet just kept going over and over... Pretty terrifying, I'm glad they both walked away from it (albeit limping and bleeding).
Still, I was SO happy for Sara M and El Primero! They did an incredible job this weekend.

titan
May. 1, 2006, 08:56 AM
Leslie Law retired at the hollow. We were there and he made it up the bank but not over the fence and he gave the nod. Maybe someone else knows more.

Muck r us
May. 1, 2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the pictures Imlacross. Judging by numbers on the pictures you posted, it looks like you didn't post everything. Did you happen to get a shot of Lauren O'Brien #20 by any chance?

Your picture of McKinlaigh makes it pretty obvious that his nose was bleeding at the HOL. After he did the same thing at the Fork, I hope that it's nothing serious, but I fear not. It's sad to think that his career may be over. He has been such a great horse for a number of years.

lmlacross
May. 1, 2006, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately, that's everything I have. We stepped away from the morning session a little early to try and beat the rush to the food. Also, there were a handful that I just "missed" with the camera- I'm not sure where Lauren was in the mix, but if I had a shot of her, it would be posted.

Yes, McKinleigh's bleeding was very evident. A shame, because their trip through the HOL was like a clinic for everyone watching.

LML

Hannahsmom
May. 1, 2006, 09:05 AM
. IMO that slip definitely cost rails and time and tens of thousands of dollars. :(

I would have to agree. I was really pulling for Becky and Comet from dressage day on. It was heartbreaking to see that happen.

And I was watching at the Bank water complex when McKinleigh came through. I love that horse, but he was obviously labored at that complex. I'm so glad she retired.

For those who think it's a bummer that they sat at the head of the lake and didn't get to see horses go, well, that's what happens when you sit at the later fences on course. This hasn't changed over the years. If it was easy to get around, it wouldn't be a four star.

Rt66Kix
May. 1, 2006, 09:43 AM
Yes, that was a nasty slip. It looked like Comet's whole hindend slipped out from underneath him, and Becky was nearly off for a split moment, then they were standing there at a full halt regrouping. They were halted four(?) strides out from the direct (more difficult route) at the option fences 8/9. I'm sure both horse and rider must have been rattled from that slip. She had to do the oxer to the skinny verticle from that halt with no approach to speak of and rails on both came down. Just heartbreaking to watch. IMO that slip definitely cost rails and time and tens of thousands of dollars. :(

Oh, I just wanted to cry for them! Comet was just OUTRAGEOUS on XC; he tore up that course. Their harmony and partnership is so obvious; he was flying towards a fence and all Becky did was sit back a bit and he came right down for her. No hauling or sawing on his mouth; no tension; just an easy communication and he was right there for her.

Does anyone know if he's OK? I sure hope he didn't strain or pull anything. As a former competitive ballroom dancer, I know what it's like to slip and almost fall. It can be devastating, and really can throw you off your game. I'm sure it had an effect on the rest of her round. Had that happened to me, I would have been worried that my horse wasn't sound enough to keep going. She sure didn't have any time to assess him before going over the rest of the jumps.

What a shame. It just broke me heart!

monstrpony
May. 1, 2006, 10:04 AM
Still, I was SO happy for Sara M and El Primero! They did an incredible job this weekend.

You can say that again! This one makes me grin, I'm so glad she had a good experience after that gawdawful start of their trip east. Clearly, the girl has guts and grit to spare!

Bensmom
May. 1, 2006, 10:29 AM
I'd love to see them! If there is anyway to upload them, I could burn them to CD.

They went crazy.

:D It always a blast to hear what he is singing -- During Buzz's first stadium round, it was "Wild Thing" and the stadium judge asked as he finished "you or the horse?"

:lol: Ralph laughed and said he wasn't sure! ;) We have enjoyed the fact that more than once it has been remarked that Ralph is the perfect rider to be riding a horse named "Repeat Offender." ;) :D

But, anyone with video or more pics, I'd love to see them. It stinks to be stuck at home!

Thanks!

Libby

TheOtherHorse
May. 1, 2006, 11:34 AM

Me too! I was cheering for the shorties (Upstage 15.1 and El Primero 15.2) and was so happy to see they finished 12th and 14th! Really makes me feel better about my newest project who stands only 15.1! Go shorties!

JDufort
May. 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
Lets hear it for a great perfomance by Rolex first timer Werner Geven of Holland (and Georgia's very own Poplar Place).

Eskar Riada's owners are the Cadier's of Athens, and he and Werner are forming a lovely partnership. Clean with some time on cross-country, and one of a handfull of double clears on stadium put them in the ribbons. Look for them in the future - the flatwork will only get better!

Donna and Gary and the Poplar crew were out in full force - anyone notice the light green shirt brigade?

persefne
May. 1, 2006, 12:36 PM
JDufort, thanks for mentioning Werner! What a lovely weekend for him. I didn't see Donna and Gary, but I saw Diana out in the trade fair and she showed me the shirts. Cheers to Werner and his entire contingent in Georgia! I'm looking forward to seeing those two go at Rolex again next year. :)

Madison
May. 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
JDufort, I got a few great pictures of Eskar at the HOTL - this is one of my favorites http://community.webshots.com/photo/549972533/2594526810048355902iYzSnW

JustJump250
May. 1, 2006, 01:09 PM
It was great to hear how well Stephen and Joshua finished. We were rooting for them this weekend while at Loudoun-my trainer used to ride Josh when he was just off the track! Was also glad to hear about Sarah and Tony, gotta love those shorties! I'm a little bummed about Little Tricky though, he's my fave, but maybe it'll give me something to look forward to next year when I can actually go!

flypony74
May. 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm interested to know if the horse and rider who fell into the ditch and palisades are alright as well-was that Nicky Henley?

I was standing right there when they fell, and they both got up quickly and seemed to walk off okay. The horse might have been a tad off, but seemed to walk out of it quickly. That was a crash that you could HEAR from a distance, so I was relieved to see them get up so quickly.

I have to say that I was incredibly impressed with Sara and El Primero. On x-c, they clocked around that course like they had been running at that level for years. In stadium, she gave him a very thoughtful and impressive ride. And I know she was thrilled to be awarded Best Conditioned Horse! Lots of hard work paying off for that young woman...she'll be one to watch! I know that tuppysmom must be bursting with pride!

I was also very impressed with Becky Holder and Courageous Comet. I hate that they had a rough go at it in stadium, because I enjoyed watching a horse/rider with the kind of "connection" that they obviously had.

BAC
May. 1, 2006, 01:31 PM
I saw that McKinlaigh bled again--is that an injury or something else? I asked about this after the Fork when I think I'd heard the same thing happened, but I never got any replies.

I watched him go through the Head of the Lake as if it were nothing, so sad that he didn't get to finish. :( I hope they are OK.

pinkngreen
May. 1, 2006, 02:13 PM
McKinlaigh was a tired pony by the time he came up to #25. I was suprised he managed to jump it and 26a. He was tired but still wanted to try so hard for his rider. He landed over 26a and his engine gave out. I didn't notice the nosebleed til my husband pointed it out I was so busy looking at how tired he was.

As far as people retiring after only a stop or two I understand why most of them did it. Some of the horses that retired after just one stop were not on their game that day. I saw quite a few struggle with the first part of the course and then would hear that they had a stop and retired or decided to retire even with out a stop. Good for them for making the right choice. Windfall looked totally off his game. Kim's horse was not jumping well at the first part of the course either. Then there were some that made it look like child's play! I was so glad to see a lot of not so big names in the top after xcountry.

pwynnnorman
May. 1, 2006, 03:46 PM
I posted this on the wrong thread, asking about Comet: What caused the slip? Was it a balance issue? A terrain or track issue? What kind of studs were working or not? WAS there a definite cause, or will she be destined to puzzle over the wudda-cudda-shudda's forever? (That would be sad, too.)

jilltx
May. 1, 2006, 03:55 PM
Lets hear it for a great perfomance by Rolex first timer Werner Geven of Holland (and Georgia's very own Poplar Place).

Here here!!!
We were at the Ditch and Palisade (#14) jump and we got to see him from both directions as he came around the other direction and took the Shelter and Stumps (#16). They looked MAGNIFICIENT! Cantered off on a nice, relaxed, lose rein; just a nice gallop on a lovely afternoon! :)

JDufort
May. 1, 2006, 04:08 PM
Madison - nice shot. Mind if I send it on to Werner?

BAC
May. 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
Here here!!!
We were at the Ditch and Palisade (#14) jump and we got to see him from both directions as he came around the other direction and took the Shelter and Stumps (#16). They looked MAGNIFICIENT! Cantered off on a nice, relaxed, lose rein; just a nice gallop on a lovely afternoon! :)

My friend and I LOVED that horse, he also showjumped nice enough to be a hunter round, we wanted to take him home with us. :yes:

looseringsnaffle
May. 1, 2006, 05:56 PM

Enjoy!

LML

p.s.- The first photo is at the HOL, WFP in the second before taking off and that nasty looking spill.

Ahhhh....I got it from a different angle...

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1312/4849329/10027419/143404183.jpg

So what's the word on Hyperlite as far as the bowed tendon goes?

bambam
May. 1, 2006, 06:12 PM
OMG! That picture is terrfiying. I cannot believe they both walked away from that.
I was so sorry that Becky did not hold on to her lead. I was rooting for her. Last week was the first time I had seen them go and they were such a lovely pair.
And Sara and El Primero were amazing. They looked nothing short of spectacular on x-country and in stadium (Sally O was quite impressed by the stadium round too). All the more impressive when you consider how young Sara is and how tough of a year it has been.

jilltx
May. 1, 2006, 06:28 PM
*closes eyes and peeks through fingers*

:eek:

Glad I missed that particular moment. I did see one rider (perhaps Mary Grantham?) who's horse caught the back pole of the creek oxer with both stifles. I thought she was going down, but the horse just galloped away.

I moved after that.

looseringsnaffle
May. 1, 2006, 06:37 PM
OMG! That picture is terrfiying. I cannot believe they both walked away from that.

It was pretty sticky...because I was behind and couldn't really see, it was like they just disappeared for several loooong moments [at least they FELT long].

Poor guy - he looked so shocky aftwards....glad they're both alright, though. (http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1312/4849329/10027419/143394820.jpg)

BogyNme
May. 1, 2006, 06:50 PM
It was pretty sticky...because I was behind and couldn't really see, it was like they just disappeared for several loooong moments [at least they FELT long].

Poor guy - he looked so shocky aftwards....glad they're both alright, though. (http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1312/4849329/10027419/143394820.jpg)

aww poor thing! what a pitiful face. Unfortunately I didn't miss the fall... We were right down front, and geez it was scary... I was *so* relieved when he jumped up and ran off. The lady next to me got a crazy picture of it. Who knows..maybe she's a COTHer and will be posting it soon...

Lisa Cook
May. 1, 2006, 07:11 PM
I got a picture of Becky and Courageous Comet on xc that is one of my favorites of all that I took.

Very cool horse! :cool:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550001750/2742935550058568908fSlzsZ

Esker Riada looks like he'd be worth a winning lottery ticket price tag as a show hunter, doesn't he?

El Primero is another very cool horse, and I'm partial to the smaller ones, anyway! Sara is a very nice person - she was stabled next to my horse in Florida and I got to meet her a bit over the winter. I took quite a few pictures of them, but my little low budget camera didn't get anything really to my satisfaction, but here's a cute one:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550001752/2039705320058568908QEvFIJ

And for someone who was asking about a Lauren O'Brien picture, I did get a picture of her, early in the course.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550001750/2484035760058568908JBsROj

KBG Eventer
May. 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
Another cheer for Werner and Esker Riada! I'm very happy for everybody, but I was really rooting for Werner. He is such a nice guy and really deserved this.

BogyNme
May. 1, 2006, 09:02 PM
I just found these pics on eventingetc.com. If you go to this site and scroll to the bottom...they have a few pics of the fall as it was happening. Scary stuff

http://eventingetc.com/2006/april_jume/reports/report_kentucky_saturday_xc.htm

Judi
May. 1, 2006, 09:23 PM
Here's the link to my webshots album of photos taken at Rolex. I spent most of yesterday at the Head of the Lake (ventured to the infield for a short while) and was in the front row of the East stands today.

Enjoy!

LML

Oh.. you've also got a picture of the blood coming out of McKinlaigh's nostril after he landed in the water...

Very very nice job....LML. Thanks for sharing

Whyevernot55
May. 1, 2006, 10:50 PM

I wasn't there, but another few people from my group were. I've heard that they jumped up and hit the palisade, and slid back down into the ditch. It was pretty ugly, but they walked away.

Lisa Cook
May. 1, 2006, 10:56 PM
Here is a picture of the ditch & palisade. The person taking a picture on the other side of the jump really puts the size of this obstacle into perspective.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550001750/2937674300058568908NkvASI

jilltx
May. 1, 2006, 11:47 PM
We were on the other side of that fence (#14...Palisade) and it looked so ...benign...compared to that shot! :eek:

This is the same fence that Buck Davidson retired at after successfully clearing it with Idalgo. Not really sure what happened. I know he had a refusal at the Sunken Road, but he took this one ok, then he slowed, raised his hand and retired right in front of us.

Anyone know why he pulled up? I couldn't detect any lamness in his horse from where I stood, but who knows.

eponacowgirl
May. 2, 2006, 12:12 AM
The pictures of WFP are horrifying!! I have video of Kim falling at the head of the lake, but it's not nearly as bad as that. If I can figure out how to post it, I will.

Seal Harbor
May. 2, 2006, 12:30 AM
I was a first timer at Rolex this year. I'm going back next year! I'm from hunter land, and it was a blast. No I won't be going to the Dark Side, we already have one of those in the family.

I just love Ralph Hill! What a hoot. He was hanging off the side of his horse galloping away from 18 The Footbridge high fiving spectators!! I was at the end of the road where the jog up was when he flashed his socks. The man is a trip. He looks like he is having a blast.

I was also pleased that riders who felt it wasn't their horses day decided to retire early, sometimes after only one stop, we don't know how those horses feel and if it wasn't something obvious to the spectators then it was obvious to the riders who know them best. I didn't care that we didn't see them finish - they were doing what was best for their partner. That is all that counts.

Sara had a super ride, that little horse sure can jump! What a pleasure to watch. The best had to be Werner and Esker Riada HUNTING around the stadium course. That horse could have won in good company in the regular division at a big show.

I've been to the horse park to show many times in the past - at the hunter shows and have seen the Rolex jumps, it was amazing to see them actually jumped by people who know what they are doing. When my sister and I wandered around the course on Thursday we just kept saying this is CRAZY TALK. We did a Friday afternoon course walk with Gina Miles. Who kept saying "now here is an inviting jump..."

I am going to write a thank you note to Janie Atkinson for organizing such a fantastic event. It was so well done. I have the upmost respect for Dark Siders, from BN to the 4* folks and all the volunteers, there is probably not a harder working group of people in the industry. I met so many lovely people.

last laugh
May. 2, 2006, 12:32 AM
wonderful photos, love your captions. All of the horses look like they are putting in maximum effort to me. Definitely can tell how they would be exhausted by the end...

Madison
May. 2, 2006, 01:12 AM
Madison - nice shot. Mind if I send it on to Werner?

No, not at all - if you want me to email you a .jpg version to forward just leave me a private message with your email address.

My sister knows Eskar (vet tech for one of his vets out of the Athens area) and sent me with strict instructions to be sure and get good pictures, which was definitely not hard to do with the way they were going around the course :)

lmlacross
May. 2, 2006, 01:57 AM
Ahhhh....I got it from a different angle...

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1312/4849329/10027419/143404183.jpg

So what's the word on Hyperlite as far as the bowed tendon goes?

WOW! You win! That shot is amazing (and terrifying, all at once).

By the time they were that far upside down, I had lowered my camera to take in the full spectre of the fall. I'm so glad horse and rider are apparently okay.

LML

Eventer13
May. 2, 2006, 03:41 AM
So has anyone heard the verdict on Hyperlite? Hope he's alright.

hrsjmpr
May. 2, 2006, 07:42 AM
As people said before, Ralph was definately enjoying himself! I couldn't believe at the inspection Sunday AM when he showed up in a black leather sport coat & pink & other colored striped socks that he kept pulling up his pant leg so everyone could see. He was getting all the laughs & totally digging it!

jhodkin
May. 2, 2006, 08:10 AM
I heard from the stables that Hypolite had bowed a tendon which looked fairly serious. Very bad news for such a lovely horse. Buck was going like the clappers though right from the off, so I'm not entirely surprised.

Donna was hurting badly from a fall she had a couple of weeks ago so rode most of the cross country with one arm. Hats off to her, it must have been excruciating.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Becky has been offered a lot of money for Courageous Comet from one of the really well known team riders. He's got potential for WEG and Beijing. He's a cracking horse who ate up a cross country course that caused a lot of problems for much more well known horses. I think he'll be in demand for lots of $$$$$$.

Mike E-S's course was very cleverly designed. It looked fairly innocuous - just an old fashioned, big, galloping track. But the way he brought the horses back on themselves through that first first field is quite unsettling and he was very subtle with the questions he asked. He predicted 10 clears inside the time and got 11. The guy seriously knows what he's doing!

I had a great time and the weather was fantastic, so I hope to come back over the pond again.

Fence2Fence
May. 2, 2006, 08:54 AM
My SO has a video of the WFP fall at the HOL, but the dang Rolex clock blocks the actual fall. We were standing under the pine trees, near where the Grey Goose (I think) and another equine are buried, so our view was so the horse and rider were jumping towards us. As for the video, all you can see is the horse losing his footing on the approach, and then horse galloping off and WFP walking out of the water.

Standing to the side of my SO, I didn't have any problems seeing the fall. I could have done without that. I HATE seeing falls and this one was agonizing too watch. In my opinion, it was the slip in the footing right before the fence that caused the accident. They seemed like they were approaching very fast too.

I didn't see the accident at fence 14, but I heard the crash. About five minutes later, we walked past the equine mediport, and the horse and rider were loaded up in the back.

I hope everything turned out ok.

I've been honestly sitting on the fence about the pros and cons about the short format vs long format, but after watching this Rolex, I'm hoping they bring back the long format.

Muck r us
May. 2, 2006, 08:56 AM
Great picture of Lauren and Guinness at jump 3. Do you mind if I give her a copy? I think she would like to have it.

annikak
May. 2, 2006, 09:21 AM
If you look at this pic, Phillip once again gets the award for amazing riding- I swear his foot is NOT in the stirrup.

Amazing pics- thanks for sharing! Love the Jenna shot...

but here is your shot of Phillip.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550001750/2514572580058568908NMBAMO

amazing....

jilltx
May. 2, 2006, 09:31 AM
There is a picture of Kim's fall at the HOL listed on the Eventingetc site that BogyNme listed earlier. It can be found at this link, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://eventingetc.com/2006/april_jume/reports/report_kentucky_sunday_sj.htm

Lisa Cook
May. 2, 2006, 09:32 AM
Muck r us - Of course you can send on the picture! I can e-mail you a much higher quality version of that same picture if you think Lauren would want it. I cut the resolution way down for the pictures I put on webshots so they load quickly, but I keep the original versions on my computer, too.

Speaking of losing stirrups....we noticed that Sara Mittleider didn't have a stirrup 1/2 way through the head of the lake complex, and she still didn't have it back when she jumped that humongeous oxer after the head of the lake. :eek:

KarenC
May. 2, 2006, 09:56 AM
While I'm not an eventer, I'm a longtime fan of the sport. This was my first trip to Rolex, and it was incredible. I had a nice spot directly next to one of the galloping lanes where I had a good view of the squirrels and the other fences in the area, as well as the big screen TV so I could see most of each competitors rounds. I thought I'd share my personal highlights from Saturday's ride.

I have to say that while I normally root for the underdog riders, I thought Karen O'Connor's cross country round was just about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen - my friend with me would not believe me when I told her the height of her horse ;>) Looked like a hunter pony just floating over that course.

I also thought Stephen Bradley had a great round, especially as his number came loose and he looked like superman with a cape around his neck. I was so worried it would turn around and fly in his face, but the way he was riding he looked like he could have done it blindfolded.

To finish the day with Andrew Hoy... wow. Like Karen's round, he made it look easy. I can't pick the best ride of the day out of these top rounds, but I think Andrew might squeak to the top.

But those were all riders I have at least seen on TV or on Rolex videos before. I have to tell you, when Courageous Comet galloped past me (I have a GREAT picture of him galloping I'll post once I upload my Rolex pictures), the look on his face was priceless - what a game horse - he was just eating up that course and looked like he was enjoying himself.

And Ralph... well, what more is there to say that hasn't already been said. I felt like I was at a rock concert when he finished up his showjumping round.

I will definitely be back to support the long format - in fact, I'm thinking of volunteering next year.

bigdreamer
May. 2, 2006, 10:46 AM
here is actually a video of kims fall...
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/mithrilmaid/?action=view&current=MOV01446.flv

eponacowgirl
May. 2, 2006, 11:03 AM
My Kim video:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v513/murrayprincess24/?action=view&current=DSCN1678.flv

JenJ
May. 2, 2006, 11:14 AM
We had an amazing time there, well worth the long drive.
So many incredible performances and stories.

I say Sara and El Primero at the Lexington Bank and that little horse was so enthusiatic and powerful, so late in the course, it was beautiful.

I watched Upstage finish and seeing him in the vet box being cooled out right next to the other horses brings home just how tiny he is in comparison to the others.

Northern Spy looked like he could have gone around a second time when they passed us.

I too was on the landing side of the first element of the Head of the Lake when WFP fell. I dont think i've ever seen such a horrific looking fall and hope I never see that again. I truly did not think that horse would be getting up, the way he went down on his head and neck.

I saw Mara's fall on the big screen and saw them both walking afterwards. Is there an update on the horse's condition?

Ralph Hill is wonderful, from his singing on cross country to the hot pink socks at the final horse inspection, everyone loved watching him truly enjoy the Rolex experience.

I felt bad for the German rider, we saw him save what i thought was a certain run out, at the 2nd element of the first water with some pretty impressive riding by both horse and rider, only to have the horse want no part of the sunken road.

BAC
May. 2, 2006, 11:18 AM

I was watching it from the front, in fact I'm in that group of people in the photo, and they DID DISAPPEAR in the water for what seemed like forever. William was trying to get up from the water but Fred's front end and thrashing legs seemed to be pinning him down momentarily. According to his website they are both OK though.

Laurel&HollyFarm
May. 2, 2006, 01:48 PM
If you look at this pic, Phillip once again gets the award for amazing riding- I swear his foot is NOT in the stirrup.

Amazing pics- thanks for sharing! Love the Jenna shot...

but here is your shot of Phillip.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550001750/2514572580058568908NMBAMO

amazing....

His foot is definitely NOT in the stirrup. I can't remember if it was Rolex or somewhere else that Phillip's stirrup leather broke half way round the course and he finished with just one stirrup a few years ago. Unbelievable.

BAC
May. 2, 2006, 02:04 PM
I can't remember if it was Rolex or somewhere else that Phillip's stirrup leather broke half way round the course and he finished with just one stirrup a few years ago. Unbelievable.

Same thing happened to Mark Todd at Badminton one year - he rode the rest of the cross country with one stirrup. :eek:

Jazzy Lady
May. 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
Same thing happened to Mark Todd at Badminton one year - he rode the rest of the cross country with one stirrup. :eek:

I think he actually pulled the other one off and rode it with no stirrups because he felt un balanced side to side with just one! :eek:

BAC
May. 2, 2006, 04:28 PM
I think he actually pulled the other one off and rode it with no stirrups because he felt un balanced side to side with just one! :eek:

Even worse! :eek: Eventers are definitely crazy. I would rather be unbalanced than none at all.

fivecats
May. 2, 2006, 07:49 PM
He has been placed on the Dutch team for the WEG this fall! Sure hope he gets to go!

CookiePony
May. 2, 2006, 10:53 PM
Muck r us, here's a photo of Lauren at the Picnic Table:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/550040912/2156675330087197663VcwoUd

Feel free to PT me if you want me to email it to you or her.

I saw Werner and Esker Riada at the Hollow-- the best ride I saw there out of several I watched and not a foot wrong.

Bensmom
May. 2, 2006, 11:53 PM
He has been placed on the Dutch team for the WEG this fall! Sure hope he gets to go!

Woohoo!!

That is totally awesome! Such a nice horse and a nice rider as well -- I am thrilled for him! :D

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Libby

pinkngreen
May. 3, 2006, 07:20 AM
I think he actually pulled the other one off and rode it with no stirrups because he felt un balanced side to side with just one! I've seen the video of that and he kept the other stirrup on. What he did was after each fence he would reach down and grab the leg with out the stirrup and pull it back to make it so he could "stand" on his knee. Then before the jump he would drop the leg back down, jump and repeat as before.

FlightCheck
May. 3, 2006, 08:15 AM
I'll make sure EVERYONE knows this weekend at Poplar!

Auburn
May. 3, 2006, 08:38 AM
For those of you who were sitting close to the last jump in Stadium, what was it about that jump that caused so many horses to flatten out and pull a rail?

My impressions of Becky Holders' slip in Stadium were that the rain had started to make the arena slippery, she made a sharp cut after jump #3 and his left hind slipped under him, when he made the sharp turn. I thought that he was going to go down and wasn't surprised when he started dropping rails. I was really pulling for them, because of their textbook X-country ride. It was a thing of beauty to watch!

Did anyone else find it annoying to have the British announcer tell everyone that Becky Holder would lose $35,000, if she dropped 3 rails? Since he did this to everyone, just as they were headed for their first fence, it was fair, but still VERY annoying. I guess that it makes for better TV?

Ralph Hill was a joy and a great ambassador for the sport of Eventing. He kept everyone laughing and cheering. Next year, I will have to make it up to South Farm for his Winter clinic!

As to all of the riders who retired their exhausted horses, I THANK YOU! I was plunked down in front of a Jumbotron for most of the rides and could see the progression of tiredness. If the horses had to struggle over some of the jumps in the beginning of the course, then I could see them pooping out close to the end. Windfall II was crawling over the last water complex and refused the rolltop. I thought that Darren was going to re-present, but he did the RIGHT thing and retired. My hat is off to all of the riders who thought of their horses wellfare first! Yes, I was disappointed that so many of them did not make it to Stadium, but it just shows that the "short format" can be harder on the horses, than the "long format".

All in all, it was a beautiful weekend! Thanks, to all of the riders, who rode with such class and made Rolex wonderful! AUBURN

Rt66Kix
May. 3, 2006, 09:42 AM
My impressions of Becky Holders' slip in Stadium were that the rain had started to make the arena slippery, she made a sharp cut after jump #3 and his left hind slipped under him, when he made the sharp turn. I thought that he was going to go down and wasn't surprised when he started dropping rails. I was really pulling for them, because of their textbook X-country ride. It was a thing of beauty to watch!

Yes, I agree with you, Auburn. I've seen my horses do the same thing in the pastures when it starts to rain. They cut too sharp; the inside hind foot kinda skids underneath them on the outside edge. I actually saw my Danish WB fall a few times on just such a turn.

It's amazing that they were able to stay upright, and my heart just sunk for them. The problem with Rolex is that there are SO many wonderful horses and riders that it's hard to pick a favorite!

And I also found it annoying about the money discussion as they were going through their course. Enough already! It was kinda nice when the speaker system went dead for a few minutes. I think Sara was getting ready to go? They blew the whistle instead of that annoying horn, and she didn't know what that meant. I was afraid she'd pull a Bettina or something.

Bighorse326
May. 3, 2006, 10:32 AM
More Rolex 2006 photos can be found here: http://www.studioeq.com

(more photos and image captions coming soon)

eponacowgirl
May. 3, 2006, 11:06 AM
I was right in front of the last fence, and all I was amazed at how many people knocked it. The only thing I noticed was that the people who actually cleared it checked HARD right before the fence. Someone actually set their hand on their horses neck and gave three HARD jerks between the second to last and the rolex fence- they cleared it nicely. I think everyone just swung too wide and tried to over correct and go for the right side of the fence, no one I noticed jumped to the left... maybe the extra length would have helped? They were all moving very forward after that combination, so maybe just too short....

Duramax
May. 3, 2006, 11:18 AM
My husband jokingly asked where all the Belgian/TB crosses were since that is what he rides. Sitting in 4th place of course ;) . Go Frenchie!!!!

He's a Belgian/TB cross? How cool is that?? :yes:

Hannahsmom
May. 3, 2006, 11:39 AM
He's a Belgian/TB cross? How cool is that?? :yes:

I think that's Belgian WB/TB cross. Not Belgian draft. Or maybe you weren't thinking draft.

Laurel&HollyFarm
May. 3, 2006, 06:14 PM
I think that's Belgian WB/TB cross. Not Belgian draft. Or maybe you weren't thinking draft.

Your right I was thinking draft and a Belgian WB is a totally different thing. Silly me. But Duramax yours and Bill's Belgian/TBs still rule :winkgrin:.