PDA

View Full Version : Joe Fargis clinic

Redhorse98
Sep. 2, 2013, 02:45 PM
Hello all!

I'm contemplating riding in a Joe Fargis clinic in November, I just have to send in the money!:) Anywho, any tips or advice? I would be riding in the 3' section with my mare who is a hot, red head!

Thanks!!

Dee

supershorty628
Sep. 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
If you do a search on here, you will find a lot of info about clinics with Joe. Some people love riding with him (like me!), some people didn't find his style to be all that helpful for them.

If you go on my YouTube (in my signature), you'll find several videos of clinics I rode in that he taught. You might have to search a bit - I think the last one I went to was in 2009 - but there are some examples of flatwork, gymnastics, and courses on there.

currycomb321
Sep. 2, 2013, 03:34 PM
People frequently come out of his clinics upset that they didn't jump bigger. He has SO much to share and doesn't do it by jacking up the jumps. So if you will feel gypped if you don't jump as big as you can, don't bother. If you feel like you will listen to everything he has to say on technique etc, go and learn lots.

nutmeg
Sep. 2, 2013, 04:30 PM
For inspiration go to www.hamptonclassic.com and wait for the fourth picture to scroll by on the homepage.

Lucassb
Sep. 2, 2013, 04:40 PM
I would *definitely* do a search on here and/or YouTube before making a decision about this particular clinician. Joe is obviously a great horseman and a gifted rider, but personally I did not find his clinic all that helpful (and at the time I was also doing 3' hunters and eq.) I did post a clinic review afterwards and found many others had had similar experiences. For the record, the final sessions each day were for more advanced riders (2 pros and an adult doing the high A/O jumpers) and those lessons were *much* better, IMO. The lower groups were very formulaic (flat work done nose to tail as a group, followed by a grid, with little or no individual commentary.) The more advanced riders did a lot more, and got quite a bit of individual attention and instruction.

incentive
Sep. 2, 2013, 10:00 PM
Take the opportunity while you can. Our more mature horsemen/women won't be around forever. Avail yourself of what they have to offer before that chance is gone. I personally think Joe is amazing! And there are several old threads on this board that will answer your questions.

farmgirl
Sep. 4, 2013, 12:34 PM
I had the opportunity to attend a clinic with him as an auditor, and thought he was fabulous. I would love to ride with him. He is thoughtful of the horses, and very understated.

Addison
Sep. 4, 2013, 10:02 PM
Just do it!

RugBug
Sep. 4, 2013, 10:35 PM
I rode with Joe last December and it was fantastic. I got a ton out of it and still do many of the exercises and use pieces of information from him every ride.

That said, it can feel formulaic, as Lucassb mentioned. We did ride nose to tail and there wasn't a lot of individual attention. The individualized attention I did get was not good. I inspired...count them with me...not one, but TWO, calls of the whole group to the center to discuss what I had done wrong. :teehee: You're welcome, everyone else, for giving you the learning opportunity without having to look like fools yourselves. :) One was for mounting and started the clinic off..and honestly, I'm blanking on the other right now...so it really wasnt' traumatic at all.

That said, I also got some compliments and the "PEERRRRR-FFFFECCCTTTT" on the last day was pretty special.

I love the way he builds a course and sets the horse up for success. And I have seen significant improvement in all the horses I ride from using exercises from his clinic. That alone made the experience worth it.

I say go...and be open. You will learn things, but they might not be presented on a platter. And maybe you won't learn things, but it will still be a good experience.