PDA

View Full Version : Wasp sting, please make the pain stop!

Alex and Bodie's Mom
Aug. 13, 2013, 09:26 PM
I'm not allergic to wasps and bees, but I got stung tonight and oh my sweet giddy aunt, the pain! I've had them before but this one is a lot worse than any others I've had. Ice isn't touching it, and neither really is the ibuprofen. I've got about a 6-inch diameter circle of swelling around it. I put baking soda on it, and it didn't help a bit. Right now I have an antibiotic cream with a pain killer in it, but it's not really helping either. Any tried and true remedies?

Alagirl
Aug. 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
amonia

ReSomething
Aug. 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Supposedly meat tenderizer works, and if it's swelling I'd take an antihistamine.

klmck63
Aug. 13, 2013, 09:43 PM
Rub a (cut in half) red onion on it! Seriously.

SMF11
Aug. 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
I mix a paste of vinegar and baking soda and plaster the sting area with it. It lessens the redness and swelling considerably.

AliCat518
Aug. 13, 2013, 10:28 PM
I'm allergic to wasps and got 3 stings one day. Had 5 inch purple circles around all and then hives on my entire body. Oral Benadryl, topical Benadryl, and time helped.

I also put bags of ice directly on each sting (not advised!) and that helped A LOT! It really just numbed it but I would just leave it on there for about an hour. Turns out I had serum sickness plus an allergy. Good times!

Hulk
Aug. 13, 2013, 10:48 PM
If you try these home remedys please give an update as to what worked for you.Hope the pain goes away soon!!!

cowboymom
Aug. 13, 2013, 10:55 PM
I've heard heat works too...

Capall
Aug. 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
What smf said. It's what we did when I was younger and it worked great!

dressurpferd01
Aug. 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
No solutions but I feel for you. I've only had two bee stings in my life, both when I was a little kid. Knowing my dad's highly allergic to stings, I've gone above and beyond to avoid them.

I got nailed by one of those evil bastard wasps when we were loading our uhaul to move a couple weeks ago. Hurt like hell and nearly dropped the computer I was carrying. Within a minute I had a swollen spot the size of a quarter. Within an hour or two it was 6-8" long swollen. By 4 AM the next morning, my entire arm below the elbow was twice the size of my left arm. Stiff as hell, and sore. Could barely flex my wrist as well. Made the 4 hour drive to the new farm fairly uncomfortable. It took probably 4 days for most of the swelling to go away. Didn't have any Benadryl, and Zyrtec didn't do a damn thing.

Wasps are the devil.

MaybeMorgan
Aug. 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
Supposedly meat tenderizer works, and if it's swelling I'd take an antihistamine.

yes I used a paste of meat tenderizer on multiple yellow jacket stings and it helped a lot. I put it on close to the event, though.

Pookah
Aug. 13, 2013, 11:19 PM
Haven't tried either of these, but I have heard that meat tenderizer and apple cider vinegar are both amazing for stuff like this. I don't know how effective either will be after the fact, but can't hurt to try.

Emily&Jake
Aug. 13, 2013, 11:24 PM
I got stung by a bald-face wasp in the car on my way to work one day. Right on the palm of my hand. OUCH!
My hand hurt for six hours and right after the initial sting it seized up and was incredibly painful. I thought I was going to have to get into work and turn around and go to the hospital. I put multiple coats of baking soda/water on it several times in six hours, took Ibuprofen, and it STILL hurt.

I didn't think to check my work's first aid kit for sting remedies! I only just realized that! LOL!

They definitely hurt a lot worse than regular bee stings.

5chestnuts
Aug. 13, 2013, 11:58 PM
Sudsy ammonia. Stops the pain instantly. Don't ask me how, but it does.

I used to carry a small plastic 35mm film canister filled with sudsy ammonia with me when I trail rode in the fall, just for any stings I might get. Cheap, easy to apply, works like magic. No more pain!

Lilypad
Aug. 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
What SMF said. You basically want to make a thick baking soda/vinegar poultice and slather it on and around your sting.

Also, Benadryl. It's the only stuff that makes me stop swelling!

Sanely Eccentric
Aug. 14, 2013, 01:10 AM
yes I used a paste of meat tenderizer on multiple yellow jacket stings and it helped a lot. I put it on close to the event, though.

I don't know about wasp or yellow jacket stings but a meat tenderizer (Adolph's) and water paste applied to bite/sting generally reduces sting/itch. I first found out about this from a friend when I had a pesky bug bite several days old and amazingly it took the irritation away within a half hour.

Ticker
Aug. 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
If you google wasp and bee stings you will find that ammonia is used for bee stings and vinegar is used for wasp stings.

I dealt with a nasty wasp sting last week.

My husband is allergic to stings so we keep an epipen on hand along with a product called 'afterbite'. The 'afterbite' we purchase from walmart in the pharmacy area. It is used for both wasp and bee stings and both my husband and I have found it extremely effective at 'quickly' eliminating the pain. We use ice or ice packs for the swelling and take benedryl.

The key to eliminating the pain is to apply the 'afterbite' solution or ammonia/ vinegar solution within a few minutes of getting stung.
Once the venom spreads into the tissues your only relief may be icing.