PDA

View Full Version : Books you Can't Finish

altermetoday
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
I've been reading the first book of the Game of Thrones since this summer... cannot for the life of me finish it. I do enjoy it, but its not my typical book. I'm not even a quarter of the way through it. I'm thinking its just so big that I'm overwhelmed.

I typically read murder mysteries, financial or self improvement type books. I'm struggling with this one...I wanted to read it before watching the show, but its not happening... so, move on or try to finish?

What books have you had trouble getting through? did you quit reading or finish to the bitter end even though you didn't like it or couldn't get through it?

Renn/aissance
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:27 PM
If I weren't interested in the characters I couldn't get through the A Song of Ice and Fire books either- the man needs an editor pretty badly.

I couldn't get through Dracula despite being a vampire and other assorted supernatural lit nut (tried several times because I thought it was important for me to read the classics as well as the contemporary fiction. Finally pushed through it, but really didn't enjoy it.) I cannot swim through what is to me the mire of anything Dickens, Bronte, or Austen. It's very much a style thing for me. I enjoy and appreciate tight prose and good craft.

supershorty628
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:29 PM
I've tried to read Gravity's Rainbow several times and never managed to finish it.

loshad
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:32 PM
Confederacy of Dunces. OMG. Horrible book.

superD
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:41 PM
I can not get through The Girl with The Dragon tattoo. For the life of me.

CarolinaGirl
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:47 PM
Ditto to the above (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)... I got to like page 75ish... And regardless of having more than one person tell me it gets better I never have gone back to finish it. If I'm not interested in a book by page 30-40 than it's highly likely I will not finish the book.

HungarianHippo
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:48 PM
"Power Base Selling" A business book about recognizing who has influence within a corporation so you can sell more effectively. My boss loves this book and got us all a copy. I am trying so hard to find what he likes about it, because he's a smart person so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. But GAH! it's like a deathmarch to get through this simplistic and banal crap masquerading as "insight." In fact I was reading it downstairs just now and came upstairs to the computer for a break. Pretty sure I'm not picking it back up again tonight. LOL

PS I loved Confederacy of Dunces. :) (But yes, Gravity's Rainbow did me in also. Couldn't stick with that one.)

skydy
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:12 PM
I made it though Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto (Karl Marx) but I couldn't make it through The Gulag Archipelago.

jen-s
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:24 PM
"A New Earth" by Tolle. Most self-important, asinine BS I've ever read.

Scaramouch
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:27 PM
Foucault's Pendulum and anything by William Faulkner.

I'm trying to make my way through Austen in the next year or so, but it's not promising. I only recently finished Persuasion after starting it and giving up halfway through several years ago, but I found myself enjoying it on the second attempt. I'm muddling through Mansfield Park now and ... it might not happen.

S1969
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to make my way through Austen in the next year or so, but it's not promising. I only recently finished Persuasion after starting it and giving up halfway through several years ago, but I found myself enjoying it on the second attempt. I'm muddling through Mansfield Park now and ... it might not happen.

I'm a huge Jane Austen fan but am stuck on Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey for several years. Have you read the more popular Austen books? Because they are better, but my good friend advised me to start with the PBS version of Pride & Prejudice and it made a huge difference. I had no idea some of the conversations were sarcasm and humor. The writing was very plain and I missed the humor, but now that I've watched, then read, then read and watched other films, I enjoy the books so much more. Still stuck on the last two, though....

I decided against The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo after I heard you needed to get past page 100 to really start to 'feel it'. I don't have that kind of luxury of time anymore... :)

Judysmom
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:08 PM
Foucault's Pendulum and anything by William Faulkner.

I love Foucault LOL! I will admit, I haven't read Pendulum, but I love Discipline and Punishment, and Madness and Civilization. I actually just lent my copy of Madness to a 22 yr old college student.

ETA: LOL different Foucault!

lovey1121
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:15 PM

I was just having this conversation with a friend, and I suggested that she try Pride and Prejudice first. It hooked me on Austen - the characters are so fully fleshed out and her sense of humor is excellent. Persuasion and Mansfield Park I found more difficult to follow, I think due to my ignorance of the social mores Austen threads throughout her works. I loved Emma and Sense and Sensibility, so I'm quite an Austen fan. I also love Thackeray's Vanity Fair.

Dont like the Brontes, though.

Could not get through Atonement, book or movie. The writing seemed pompous to me.

lovey1121
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:18 PM
my good friend advised me to start with the PBS version of Pride & Prejudice and it made a huge difference. I had no idea some of the conversations were sarcasm and humor. The writing was very plain and I missed the humor, but now that I've watched, then read, then read and watched other films, I enjoy the books so much more. Still stuck on the last two, though..

I think that's brilliant advice:) I know I saw the PBS version which made me want to read the book also.

Bristol Bay
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:19 PM
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Collective Marks by Nancy Feldman

Ditto of Confederacy of Dunces.

mswillie
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:40 PM
I made it though Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto (Karl Marx) but I couldn't make it through The Gulag Archipelago.

Glad I'm not the only one. Might have to try again though, I was a teen when I first tried. It was way too much at the time.

Scaramouch
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:40 PM
The thing keeping me from Pride and Prejudice is that I can't seem to find a copy that a) is not a tiny-print bargain edition and b) does not have Kiera Knightley on the cover.

And on the Brontes, I adore Jane Eyre completely. Wuthering Heights not so much. In fact, I only finished it for a class and I'm still not sure why I made the effort.

Lin
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:43 PM
I cannot read Barbbara Cartland

SarahandSam
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:01 PM
I am halfway through Game of Thrones and totally hooked, but I agree that he could use an editor--I just love the characters, especially Tyrion.

I'm a huge Austen fan. Persuasion is the least enjoyable to me though--I like Mansfield Park okay, but P&P, S&S or Emma are all definitely better first books to try. Northanger Abbey is fun but not too much going on there except for the gothic satire.

I don't understand why Barbara Cartland starts a new paragraph with every individual sentence. I'd like her plots and characters if her actual writing didn't drive me insane.

The one I could never finish was The Great Gatsby. My husband loves it, and I'm an English teacher and know I should read it, but it just plain bores me. Hemingway too; I slogged through The Sun Also Rises and Old Man and the Sea, but eh.

starhorse
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:01 PM
The Bible. I've tried SO hard.

lesyl
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:02 PM
Hadrian - a book all about the Roman emporer Hadrian. I just didn't make it past the first three chapters.

Descent into Chaos - I will read and then end up dreaming that I am getting off an airplane in Afganistan.

Long Spot
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:14 PM
It took me a couple years to get through Atlas Shrugged.

It's so tedious to start, and I'd set it down and forget about it for months at a time. Once I was about half way through it, it got a bit easier to get into. Honestly, that's the longest it's ever taken me to read any book. Usually, if it doesn't grab me and make me want to keep reading it, I generally don't force it. Usually , if I like it, I can finish a regular length novel in a few hours. I was so shocked at how long it was taking me to slog through A.S., it became a challenge even though my heart wasn't in it.

skydy
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. Might have to try again though, I was a teen when I first tried. It was way too much at the time.

So was I, and I slogged my way through many long winded writers but old Alex took the cake!

Frizzle
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce. And I tried SO d@mn hard! I majored in English and had this one incredible, inspirational professor (BA & Master's from Harvard, taught @ Cornell) who encouraged us all to read Ulysses because it's such an important piece of literature. He said that, even if we had graduated, to please call him any time if we wanted to meet for coffee and discuss it, and he was always saying that we didn't need the "supplemental" things to figure it out b/c we were all so intelligent, etc. Just a really encouraging, passionate guy. I really, really tried to read it, but I don't think I made it past page 40. Usually if I'm confused about something I can just continue reading and muddle through and eventually figure it out, but it never happened with Ulysses!

skydy
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:55 AM
Oh! I forgot the most embarassing one.. My Grandfather's book. I tried very hard! (after all he was my Grandfather)..
I have forgiven myself, since there is no way in hell that anyone who is not in post graduate studies of the classics (especially Greek Tragedy) would understand it.

I love having that book, and his Livy translations from Greek to English . The translations, I have read and enjoyed.

I have a copy of his dissertation. I can't make it through that either..:o

MyGiantPony
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:57 AM
Confederacy of Dunces. OMG. Horrible book.

Totally with you. I don't understand the rave reviews.

MyGiantPony
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:05 AM
The Bible. I've tried SO hard.

Try the Song of Solomon. Beautiful and sexy poetry.

neversaynever
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:15 AM
Ditto on Gravity's Rainbow. LOVED Confederacy of Dunces - it is a hilarious dark comedy; but I grew up in NOLA in the timeframe of the book, and the characters reminded me of people I knew.

phlora
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:18 AM
Don Quixote. Still stuck on page 300 some. Will try again someday.
Wuthering Heights.

AffirmedHope
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:18 AM
I got through The Fellowship of the Ring and about half way through The Two Towers. I tried, really I did, but I just couldn't finish the series.

RedHorses
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:27 AM
I usually can read fast enough to get through just about anything. I am a text junkie and it takes a determined effort of will to not read something (if it's at hand). There are exceptions and if I put a book down and don't open it for a week I usually don't open it again (beyond retrieving the bookmark). There haven't been many I gave up on, but the most memorable on is Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon - I slogged through that sucker and gave up with something like 40 odd pages left. Just couldn't go on with it.

I quit Pillars of the Earth too. About a third of the way through I think.

I did read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and have zero interest in seeing the movie or reading the sequel. Though if I were locked in a room with a copy and nothing else to do I would probably read it. :lol:

I read The Game of Thrones and sequels except for the final one (A Dance With Dragons). I am really ticked that they held off for so long on releasing it in pocket book. I'd have to go back and reread the others first at this point.

Event4Life
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:29 AM
All the books I struggled to finish I had to because they were for school...
-As I lay dying. UGH.
-Adam of the road. I can't even remember who the author of this monstrosity is, but we had to read it in middle school over the summer and there was such an uprising that it was taken off the list for the next year.
-Grapes of Wrath. Another summer reading disaster.
-The Scarlet Letter. Most depressing book ever.

Unrelated to school, I have yet to finish the last 2 in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I should probably get on that.

There are some books I just get bored with and skip to the end. Those are mostly trashy books that have no character development or plot.

loshad
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:37 AM
I love Foucault LOL! I will admit, I haven't read Pendulum, but I love Discipline and Punishment, and Madness and Civilization. I actually just lent my copy of Madness to a 22 yr old college student.

ETA: LOL different Foucault!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's referencing the Umberto Eco book.

altjaeger
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:40 AM
For those who struggled with "The Gulag Archipelago", may I suggest instead "Alexander Dolgun's Story: An American in the Gulag". This is a life changing booking, fascinating, and certainly not boring.

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Dolguns-story-American-Gulag/dp/0394494970/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364819869&sr=1-1&keywords=alexander+dolgun

Fred
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:48 AM
I've tried to read Gravity's Rainbow several times and never managed to finish it.

:)
- I once had a dream that I met Thomas Pynchon, and I told him I could NOT read his books.
I carried that book around Europe with me, and finally left it behind in Greece.
I wonder how many people have tried to read it since?

Fred
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:56 AM
I loathed Atlas Shrugged, and loathe Ayn Rand and everything she pretends to stand for.

On the other hand, I like Salman Rushdie, think he is brilliant - but I can't read his books either.

ACMEeventing
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:04 AM
I'm a confirmed read-a-holic and I can't get past the the first 1/4 of Game of Thrones either. Maybe if I watch the show first I won't have trouble keeping the eleventy billion characters straight.

Read the Dragon Tattoo series, loved it because the girl kicked some serious bad-guy a**.

Re: Pride and Prejudice. Try reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's actually very entertaining while keeping with the original story line and linguistic style.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
The one I could never finish was The Great Gatsby. My husband loves it, and I'm an English teacher and know I should read it, but it just plain bores me. Hemingway too; I slogged through The Sun Also Rises and Old Man and the Sea, but eh.

I dragged myself through Gatsby but never liked it. Hemingway, same deal.

Indy
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:40 AM
-Grapes of Wrath. Another summer reading disaster.

You & me both. I HATED Grapes of Wrath. It was the one book that I had to read for school that my mom actually okayed my use of Cliff's Notes for. She had tried reading it herself and knew how freaking awful it was.

Recently, I tried to read The Imortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and got through the first part of it only. Interesting subject but couldn't stand the author's style. I also ditched "Buddah in the Attic" recently...talk about author style that'll drive you mad. Both were library books - I'm much more willing to give up on a book I've borrowed than one I payed actual money for (which is why I finished the second Twilight book...if it was free, I think I would have jumped ship at page three).

evntr5218
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:52 PM
i think that i am perhaps the only person i know who couldnt get into the twilight series. it just never spiked my interest and neither did the movies.

Event4Life
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:56 PM
i think that i am perhaps the only person i know who couldnt get into the twilight series. it just never spiked my interest and neither did the movies.

Ditto. I don't count them as books I can't finish though because I refuse to open them to begin with. UGH. Why why why??? Vampires are creepy, why would anyone want to read about them?

SarahandSam
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:39 PM
I got hooked on Twilight, because despite the terrible writing and awful characters, they were weirdly addictive. I did quit Fifty Shades though, which had even worse writing and even more awful characters. Blech.

caffeinated
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:21 PM
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

I made it through, and even read "Bringing Up The Bodies" but holy hell it was a struggle.

It took me about 80% of Wolf Hall just to get used to the narration style and overuse of "he." I forced myself through the second one because I had bought both of them at the same time and since I'd paid money for it, dammit I was going to finish. Wasn't as hard to follow as the first one but I was still so irritated that it didn't really help. heh.

Eclectic Horseman
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:53 PM
I am sort of an obsessive compulsive reader, and, when I start a book, I finish it, almost without exception. Yes, I read Ulysses. It was a slog, and probably not worth the effort, but I couldn't stop.

There are two notable exceptions: Thomas Pynchon's V and David Foster Wallace's Oblivion. I have read, and enjoyed, other works by these authors, but I just didn't have it in me to read either of these two books. Since Oblivion was a compilation of short works, I should have just been able to skip the soul crushing "Mr. Squishy" opening novella and move on to a later piece that I probably would have enjoyed. But skipping really sets off my reader's OCD, and I just couldn't do it. :o

Jack16
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:24 PM
I usually don't read these types of books anyway but everyone told me how great it was. I couldn't finish it. The writing was terrible. The allegory was horrible. I would get half way through and stop.

KateKat
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:42 PM
The thing keeping me from Pride and Prejudice is that I can't seem to find a copy that a) is not a tiny-print bargain edition and b) does not have Kiera Knightley on the cover.

And on the Brontes, I adore Jane Eyre completely. Wuthering Heights not so much. In fact, I only finished it for a class and I'm still not sure why I made the effort.

Do you have a Kindle? If so P&P free as its considered a "classic". I also completely agree on the recommendation to watch a version of it first. Preferably not the Keira (ugh) remake but the BBC version with Colin Firth. Its long but SO WORTH IT.

I could not get through Life of Pi and I've got Barbara Kingsolvers "The Lacuna" sitting on my kindle, un read. I don't do that with many books as I usually just plow on through even if they're horrible. However, for some reason just couldn't do it with these two.

FLeventer
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:47 PM
50 shades made me want to gag. I could not finish the first book. I am sorry but the guy was a straight tool bag.

Twilight, I have to say that though it was written horridly, I actually made it through. I did not finish the one where she got married and preggo though. Just too weird for me.

The Grapes of Wrath was a summer reading book and I honestly could not finish reading it. Actually most of my summer reading books in HS were not finished. The Scarlet Letter made me a bit pissy. The Great Gatsby was finished reluctantly. The Catcher and the Rye was skimmed. Eh, I like classics but it really depends on the storyline/plot.

There are a lot of cruddy romances that I could add to this list, but the one author that writes romances that I despise is Sylvia Day. Cannot stand her books or finish them.

Overly liberal or conservative books tend to make me not finish them.

Someone suggested Wolf Hall to me and I am hearing some not so great reviews lol.

Superminion
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:49 PM
Anything by Nicholas Sparks. I just. Can't. Handle. The sap. Dear John was the worst... being married to a man in the Army, I thought it was so stupid.

mswillie
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:53 PM
Another one: Tom Robbins "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues". I adore Tom Robbins, I have read and enjoyed every other novel he's written.

"Skinny Legs ad All" is one of my All. Time. Favorite books.

And yet, I just can't through "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues".

One of these days maybe I'll finish it.

Far_North_Equestrian
Apr. 1, 2013, 04:11 PM
I'll read almost anything.

The only ones I've been stuck on were Les Miserables (man needed to listen to his editor), and The Once and Future King which is supposed to be this great version of King Arthur but is really a tedious and jarring story filled with WW2 era pop culture references.

runNjump86
Apr. 1, 2013, 04:19 PM
The Old Man and The Sea...I just COULD NOT do it, and I'll read anything.

50 Shades was the worst. I made it through the first book, got halfway through the second, and threw it across the room. DH was shocked, lol. I forced myself to finish the series because I'm OCD like that, but I hated every. single. line. in the damn books. Plus I yelled a lot.

I read the Twilight series and loved it the first time, but I was in a very different place in my life. Tried re-reading them, and couldn't do it.

Wuthering Heights...couldn't get into it to save my life.

caffeinated
Apr. 1, 2013, 04:32 PM
Someone suggested Wolf Hall to me and I am hearing some not so great reviews lol.

My problem with those books was 100% style. The story was fine. The actual writing was beautiful. I just had a horrible time following it and kept getting jerked out of the story trying to figure out who she was talking about at any given time.

example:

"Mark, Todd, Joseph, and Simon were seated around a table. He thought that the meeting would go well"

He who? WHO HE!?!? WHICH HEEEEEEEE GODDAMMIT!

Now, if that doesn't bother you, you'll enjoy the book. If it does, it will drive you so batty you can't even enjoy the lovely writing.

BeaSting
Apr. 1, 2013, 04:41 PM
I used to enjoy James Michener - but for the life of me could not finish Hawaii. I restarted it several times over two decades, but never got through to the last page.

hastyreply
Apr. 1, 2013, 04:42 PM
I had that trouble with the Harry Potter books. I forced myself through #1, Skimmed #2 and quit on #3.

Superminion
Apr. 1, 2013, 04:56 PM
The Old Man and The Sea...I just COULD NOT do it, and I'll read anything.

50 Shades was the worst. I made it through the first book, got halfway through the second, and threw it across the room. DH was shocked, lol. I forced myself to finish the series because I'm OCD like that, but I hated every. single. line. in the damn books. Plus I yelled a lot.

I read the Twilight series and loved it the first time, but I was in a very different place in my life. Tried re-reading them, and couldn't do it.

Wuthering Heights...couldn't get into it to save my life.

Glad I'm not the only one that yells at literature.

I couldn't even make it through the first one, so props to you! I couldn't stop giggling because it was so absurd.

Warning: NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8bee_uo7wo

Far_North_Equestrian
Apr. 1, 2013, 05:22 PM

Oh, no, you're not alone.

Somewhere around the middle of the 3rd book of Game of Thrones my favorite charachter appears to die - right after he's killed off another favorite. My Kindle just about went through the wall that day. Took me a week before curiousity got the better of me and I picked up the book again!

Also, I'm pretty sure the words F#@! You George RR Martin left my lips that day.

FLeventer
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:13 PM
My problem with those books was 100% style. The story was fine. The actual writing was beautiful. I just had a horrible time following it and kept getting jerked out of the story trying to figure out who she was talking about at any given time.

example:

"Mark, Todd, Joseph, and Simon were seated around a table. He thought that the meeting would go well"

He who? WHO HE!?!? WHICH HEEEEEEEE GODDAMMIT!

Now, if that doesn't bother you, you'll enjoy the book. If it does, it will drive you so batty you can't even enjoy the lovely writing.

That would kill me. I hate not knowing exactly who. Or when a few people are having a conversation and you cannot tell who is talking.

alternate_universe
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:20 PM
A Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule. It's about the author's real life friendship with and investigation of Ted Bundy. Rule was his friend, but also a journalist who later interviewed Bundy heavily after he was caught. The beginning of the book was seriously fascinating. Bundy's story reminded me of Forrest Gump... all the interesting, successful things he did (on top of being a budding a serial killer, but no one knew that yet). I got a bit past the halfway mark and quit because it's a very, very long book and it started to get more into the legal and judicial mumbojumbo of Bundy's cases and less about Bundy himself. The first half of the book was like a reall good crime show, but then it became mostly dialogue, Rule's personal life, and little action.

ambar
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:23 PM
I have trouble with most nonfiction. Just. Not. Gripping. Recent examples: Threat Modeling (http://www.amazon.com/Threat-Modeling-Microsoft-Professional-Swiderski/dp/0735619913), Security Engineering (http://www.amazon.com/Security-Engineering-Building-Dependable-Distributed/dp/0470068523/).

Fiction example: A recent recommendation on the free book thread, The Thoroughbred Conspiracy (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JQRXIG/). The villainess was about as three-dimensional as a piece of paper, and I know too much about genetics for the plot to hold up. I quit less than 25% of the way through. :P

dudleyc
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:27 PM
It took me a couple years to get through Atlas Shrugged.

It's so tedious to start, and I'd set it down and forget about it for months at a time. Once I was about half way through it, it got a bit easier to get into. Honestly, that's the longest it's ever taken me to read any book. Usually, if it doesn't grab me and make me want to keep reading it, I generally don't force it. Usually , if I like it, I can finish a regular length novel in a few hours. I was so shocked at how long it was taking me to slog through A.S., it became a challenge even though my heart wasn't in it.

I've tried Atlas Shrugged and The Fountain Head and just can not do it! And so many friends that I really am in tune with and admire LOVE the books.

Kuddos to you!

evenstar
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:32 PM
I have never made it through Ulysses, though, surprisingly I managed to finish Finnegan's Wake. it was just words, though. I had no clue the whole time.

I actually really enjoy the "wordy" books, like Dickens, Faulkner, Tolstoy...and can't read Hemingway. Just don't like the writing style.

Also can't finish Grisham. His first novel or two were ok, but now i just can't get past the bad writing. Dan Brown is also pretty bad (IMHO, of course ;) ).

I know what you all mean about A Game of Thrones. I've read the first few and was kind of into it, but it took so long for the next book to come out that I would have to reread the first three (or is it four?) and I just can't face it...

SweetTalk
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:46 PM
I'm on the third Game of Thrones book...I've been there for months and months...

bM
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:57 PM
The second book in the Fifty Shades of Gray books. I pick it up and read a chapter every now and then but it doesn't hold my attention.

bdj
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:52 PM
I didn't think I was going to, but I did manage to slog my way through The Passage, by Justin Cronin - 700 odd pages and it sucks you in by having a decent first 100 pages or so, then gets reeaaallllly boring for the next 500 pages and then gets WAY better (of course, that's probably because I was so bored with the preceding 500 pages) for the last 100.

I'm usually pretty good about finishing (and I'll read awful 70s/early 80s horror novels just for the schlock factor), but The Passage was a test for me...

danceronice
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:12 PM
I got through The Fellowship of the Ring and about half way through The Two Towers. I tried, really I did, but I just couldn't finish the series.

Yep. I had to actually see the movies (bad as it sounds) to work up the urge to finish them. But I'm really visual.

And so far...I cannot finish "Moby-Dick." I really can't.

loshad
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:35 PM

I would submit that yelling at 50 Shades would not, in fact, constitute yelling at literature per se. Unless we are defining literature very, very broadly.

SarahandSam
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:40 PM
I did make it through Ulysses, in a Joyce class while I was at Trinity College Dublin, but agree that it was mostly just words. Though I do love Dubliners.

I yell at Regency romances a lot when they have bad horse-related facts (which happens a lot). Eloisa James keeps referring to horses being "out of (insert stallion name here)" and another book referred to a livery stable with "tall slim thoroughbreds and barrel-chested quarter horses." THERE ARE NO QUARTER HORSES IN 1810 ENGLAND ARGH DONE WITH BOOK.

drawstraws
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:50 PM
I borrowed Gore Vidal's "Lincoln" probably 15 years ago from a friend. I'm still only maybe a third of the way through it and I'm one of those who'll stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish a book in one sitting. This thing for some reason I just can't get through and each time I pick it up I have to start over because I've forgotten what was going on and who the supporting characters are. Not sure what the problem is - I've actually liked what I've read so far but I just can't seem to make it all the way through.

Long Spot
Apr. 2, 2013, 12:33 AM
I loathed Atlas Shrugged, and loathe Ayn Rand and everything she pretends to stand for.

Yeah, turned out I didn't particularly like it or her either. But I'm glad I read it, so I could make that decision. Wont be reading it again, that's for sure!