PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Eating off of Humans' Forks

draftdriver
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:10 PM
How would you feel if you were a guest at some friends' house, and you saw them feeding their dogs off their own forks at the end of the meal. You know that they don't have a dishwasher.

SAcres
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't bother me. Of course my uncle frequently feeds his black lab and then eats off the fork again...

I'm the type that lets my dogs lick my face, will kiss my horses, and have been known to forget to wash my hands before dinner, germs don't scare me. ;)

GypsyQ
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:16 PM
I frequently feed the dogs a tidbit off my fork after the meal. I don't own a dishwasher, either, but I have hot water and good soap.
However, I realize some people (my mother) are funny about animals eating off the human dishes, so I refrain from it when company's over.

AliCat
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:18 PM
At the end of my meal, I will give my dog something on a fork. He has learned to just grab the food and to pull it off, he doesn't lick. No dishwasher here either.

supershorty628
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't do it myself, but it doesn't gross me out.

MunchingonHay
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:20 PM
I am not a fan of sharing food with my dog. I dont like the begging so I dont allow it. but if I saw someone doing it with there dog, in their home...that's fine. I worked in a barn the majority of my life. I am sure what ever is on the fork that I am using will not kill me.

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:22 PM
I'd feel right at home! My father fed his 2 Llewellyn Setters, my 2 brothers, from his mouth, at the table. At all meals at home. And they often went out to dinner with us, but they had to stay in the car. My father said that humans have more germs in their mouths than do animals. And it turns out he was right.

I have always fed my dogs and cats at the table. Dogs must sit in chairs, and cats get to eat on the table. My animals have better table manners than 90% of the men I've dated. Bolting food, eating with both hands, etc., were HUMANS, not animals.

My family always had the best food, and while I'm sure we were always the talk of Savannah about our animals being treated as well as humans, people came to our house every week to eat my grandfather's cooking and my mother's cooking. I thought steak was cheap growing up. All our sea food came out of the river and our cats always have eaten crab meat picked out for them. Our dogs always ate steak and our cats always ate chicken breasts, all the same as humans.

I have no problems with people saying that they don't want to eat with dogs and cats. They can eat elsewhere. I've always shared with my horses too. Growing up it was coca cola with peanuts in it. I've never gotten any diseases from horses, dogs or cats.

I've never had anyone not return for food with animals all my life. Takes some guys a little getting used to, but they always come back for more. (and for the good food too.:lol:) Family friends always said they wanted to come back (reincarnation) as one of our pets. If you guys saw how food is prepared in restaurants, with rats and roaches, you'd prefer eating with dogs and cats and horses.

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:23 PM
You left out a poll option- "Doesn't bother me, but I don't do it myself". That's what dish soap is for.

Far_North_Equestrian
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:27 PM
I do it. My dog also is the official "pre-wash" for most of our plates. We do have a dishwasher now, but didn't always - we DO however use soap :)

Daydream Believer
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:31 PM
Doesn't phase me a bit. I do it all the time. I do wash the dishes also and I haven't caught any disease from them.

vacation1
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:36 PM
Mostly, I'd be fine with it, unless they tried to feed the dog with MY fork. Though, granted, I've met some people whose idea of "dish washing" was to swirl a fork around in cold, greasy water and then stick back in the drawer. Those people, I might not be having dinner with :)

TheJenners
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:22 PM
DH almost had a fit the first time he saw it. My opinion? Uhh...scalding hot water and soap, it's not like I eat AFTER the dog. Yuck. But I don't like them licking plates, it kinda grosses me out the way they squish their nose into the plate. Blarf...

Megaladon
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:26 PM
Disgusting. This is why I don't eat out at other peoples' houses, everyone has their own standard of clean.

wendy
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:29 PM
You're much more likely to catch something icky from a fellow human's saliva than you are from a dog. Most viral and bacterial diseases are rather species-specific. Worms are rarely caught from saliva, and most dogs are dewormed regularly and most humans are not.

And remember unless you are eating with disposable plastic forks, that fork was put into someone else's mouth at some point before it was passed on to you. It was washed, of course- soap and hot water.

volvo_240
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:43 PM
I have been known to share ice cream cones, and will let my pointer have a couple licks of my lolly pop. He's dewormed routinely so I'm not scared :p

jetsmom
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:52 PM
I do it. Doesn't bother me. I don't eat off it after them though. But I have a high tolerance for germs. And truthfully, if you think what most people have put in their mouth once they become an adult, a little dog spit that is then washed off with soap and water is nothing...

vineyridge
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:01 PM
I don't let them eat off my utensils, but I do let them lick the plates and pots and pans. Of course, those are washed afterwards in hot water and soap. No dishwasher here either.

JenEM
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
Not usually after a meal, but every day after I mix up my Greek yogurt and fruit to take to work, I let my dog lick off the spoon. She looks forward to it, and loves the yogurt. I don't know that I'd feed her off a fork--I'd be worried about the tines hurting her mouth more than I'd worry about me catching anything from her.

Marshfield
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
I came home one night and found Dh and the puppy eating a sandwich together, Todd from the top, Tempi from the bottom.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:20 PM
Off the fork? That sounds like a great way for the dog to stab itself in the mouth. Other than that I don't care. That's what hot water and dish soap are for.

My housemate puts his plate down for the dog at the end of the meal. They're my plates. Doesn't bother me!

dani0303
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:22 PM
I let my animals lick our plates clean before I put them in the dishwasher. That's what hot water and anti-bacterial soap is for. That said, I'd refrain from doing that in front of guests since it does bother some people :)

PhoenixFarm
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:29 PM
Not sure how to answer this one. I despise pets being treated like furry people, and being fed from the table irks me, because prior to being fed I've had to eat through the gauntlet of begging which ALWAYS accompanies people who feed their critters from the table.

However, we do do doggie pre wash at the end of the meal, on the floor of the kitchen, before they go in the dishwasher, provided there has been no begging during the meal.

So I don't have a hygiene issue, but do have a manners issue.

GotGait
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:52 PM
My dog cleans my plate. That's what the dishwasher is for.

msj
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:56 PM
If the dog has finished her own dinner (she tends to be a slow and picky eater and often leaves a lot for later), she gets to lick the plate. Fork-never. :no: If she hasn't finished, she can beg all she wants (follows me from the table to the sink) but no plate. Surprisingly, the last few wks she's finally been cleaning her dish. :)

Canaqua
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:59 PM
I would not care. I don't do it myself...my dogs would stab themselves in the roof of the mouth going for the food. Plus, I don't feed dogs from the table, I don't want beggars. I do put people plates with sticky goop on them down for dogs to lick before I wash them...works great for the runny eggs I like to eat that get glued onto the plate, a dog tongue is a perfect pre-wash wash ;).

Not at all worried about dog germs, I'm more concerned about bad doggie manners.

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:42 PM
They lick their butts.

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:07 PM
They lick their butts.

Guys or dogs? You don't know where a guy's mouth has been.

paulaedwina
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:36 PM
1. The dishwasher isn't doing anything special that you can't get from washing your dishes in hot soapy water. There are three levels of clean (from a microbiology point of view); sanitization -knocking down microbes to a level that you won't get sick. Hand washing, dish washing, etc. is sanitizing. Disinfection -reducing the microbial load significantly. Bleaching surfaces, lysol, etc. Sterilization -removing all microbes. Autoclaving, hydrogen peroxide gas, etc.

2. Dogs have a lower microbial load in their mouths than you do. You're more risk for your dog than your dog is for you.

Paula

starrunner
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:26 PM
Only person that I've been present to see that is my MIL who has too many dogs in the first place and none have manners. It's not uncommon in a major holiday meal to have a Chihuahua try and jump up and go to town on the Thanksgiving turkey. Or have the whole pack under the table whining away because they can't scratch their way up fast enough into an unsuspecting victim's lap.

My family has done the dog prewash thing if the dogs haven't been begging, have been well behaved, etc.

My husband tried it a few times, but the dog got a little obsessed with the dishes and began counter surfing more, drooling while we were eating and staring us down, etc, plus the occasional doggie discomfort from having a sensitive stomach which is never fun to clean.

I'm "mean" according to the MIL. ;) Dog has to go lie down on his bed while we are eating...no hassling, bothering, etc. Usually gets a dog biscuit afterwards and life is good. :)

Kryswyn
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:32 PM
Really doesn't bother me. I frequently, well as often as it happens, will eat something that's fallen on the floor. I don't mind a dog hair (or three). My mother told me at an early impressionable age that everyone will eat a pound of dirt in their lives so I'm okay with it.

BumbleBee
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:52 PM
They lick their butts.
Isn't that more of a cat thing? Neither of my dogs are old or unhealthy but never have they been able to reach their butts with their mouth, they don't even try.

HillnDale
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:07 AM
Um, that's not very good manners, but I couldn't really differentiate options b, c and d. I put treats into my dog's bowl but always let him lick the plate after an egg breakfast. No dishwasher here. On the questionable spectrum with dirty dishes I respond by making sure they dry thoroughly before reusing (dog licking) or bleaching (raw poultry, eg).

wendy
Apr. 1, 2013, 06:43 AM
They lick their butts.
not very often, and so what? the flow of saliva cleans the mouth out again fairly quickly.
Humans, on the other hand, often touch their butts- wiping and so forth- and are really bad about washing their hands properly afterwards. People who go looking find human fecal matter all over the place- spread by human hands.
You should worry about the "dirtiness" of your human guests, not your dog.

paulaedwina
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:06 AM
Amen, Wendy! People are nasty. I start my micro classes talking about fecal-oral contamination (where you get coliform in your food). It can be from dirty irrigation water, but mostly it's from food handlers. Why? Because people do not know how to wash their hands or when to wash their hands.

I always survey the class, "Who washes their hands every time they visit the restroom". All hands go up. Then I ask, "Do you wash your hands for 30 seconds?" and the confidence starts to waver as I count "1...2....3....4...5...are you still washing your hands....8....9...10...11...."

I like to tell them that those times when they thought they'd come down with a 24 hr virus it was no virus it was a fecal oral contamination. Viremia have very specific etiology.

So my thing is; why sweat it? Kiss your dog on the mouth. It is probably good for you.

Paula

Canaqua
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:11 AM
not very often, and so what? the flow of saliva cleans the mouth out again fairly quickly.
Humans, on the other hand, often touch their butts- wiping and so forth- and are really bad about washing their hands properly afterwards. People who go looking find human fecal matter all over the place- spread by human hands.
You should worry about the "dirtiness" of your human guests, not your dog.

Yeah, and I'm much less frightened of the germs on dog butts than those on people butts ;). I've never caught Norovirus from a dog, but I've been sick "as a dog" from human food handlers who don't do a thorough hand washing.

SendenHorse
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:12 AM
Doesn't bother me one bit but I wouldn't do it when a guest was there.

7HL
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:50 AM
How would you feel if you were a guest at some friends' house, and you saw them feeding their dogs off their own forks at the end of the meal. You know that they don't have a dishwasher. Why do they need a dishwasher, they have the dogs?

Alagirl
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:54 AM
Why do they need a dishwasher, they have the dogs?

:lol:

but seriously: as nasty as the inside of a people mouth is....dog is benign.

Hot water and soap cures most ailments.

msj
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:57 AM
Yep, dogs do lick their butts and eat horse manure. Some dogs even eat their own feces. :disgust:

carp
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
If they're not washing well enough to get the dog slime of the forks, they're not washing well enough to get the people slime off either.

Mara
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:04 AM
Dogs are our pre-wash cycle. I hate having to scrub off stuck-on food on large stew pots and the like, so dog tongues come in quite handy.

Both dogs are lean and pretty good about not begging. Also, there are some dishes we don't let them lick, like anything that's got really hot spicy sauce residue on it.

What does bother me is cats roaming all over countertops with feet that have been in the litter box.

trubandloki
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:44 AM
I tend to not let my dogs lick my plates and utensils when there is company over. Lots of people find it distasteful. When company is not over my dogs lick the plates, pots, and pans clean and even the periodic utensil.

All things get well washed with hot water and soap so not really worried about germs.

My MIL and FIL feed their dogs at the table, while still eating, using their utensils. Now that makes me gag and I will not take more helpings of anything after they have done this because they use the same fork to serve up their next slice of ham, etc.

Jealoushe
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:56 AM
I do it sometimes....my dogs are all skilled at this. I don't eat off the fork afterwards though lol :)

ccoronios
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:02 AM
msj - your sig-line has me ROTFLMAO - while enthusiastically nodding my head! Will be sharing it.....

spotteddrafter
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:12 AM
DH almost had a fit the first time he saw it. My opinion? Uhh...scalding hot water and soap, it's not like I eat AFTER the dog. Yuck. But I don't like them licking plates, it kinda grosses me out the way they squish their nose into the plate. Blarf...

LOL - I feel that way about them eating off the utensils! Sure, they can clean my plates and bowls all they want...but they will never eat off my utensils! BARF!

(I do, though, have a dishwasher and wash things on extra hot setting, along with the sanitize setting.)

shayaalliard
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:14 AM
I have been known to share ice cream cones, and will let my pointer have a couple licks of my lolly pop. He's dewormed routinely so I'm not scared :p

This!^

Event4Life
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:23 AM
Why is hand washing any different than washing with a dishwasher? I have hot water and soap. I hand wash because it would be silly to use a dishwasher with just me here. I don't allow my dog to have food at the table but do occasionally let her lick the plate after I'm done. I then wash it with hot water and soap. What's the problem??

I would not do it if a guest was here. Not all my friends love dogs!

nasalberry
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:20 PM
Yep, dogs do lick their butts and eat horse manure. Some dogs even eat their own feces. :disgust:
... and eat cat shit and dead rotted things.
:dead:
Seeing how so many people here enjoy swapping spit with dogs ... I doubt if I'll ever eat at another person's house who owns dogs. What can I say? My father was a stickler for no animals in the dining room/kitchen when meals were going on. I am the same way.
Now, my late sister and my other older sister would be right there with you all, slurping away :lol:

NBChoice
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:39 PM
I let my dog do that sometimes, but I would never do it if I had guests over!

paulaedwina
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:46 PM
... and eat cat shit and dead rotted things.
:dead:
Seeing how so many people here enjoy swapping spit with dogs ... I doubt if I'll ever eat at another person's house who owns dogs. What can I say? My father was a stickler for no animals in the dining room/kitchen when meals were going on. I am the same way.
Now, my late sister and my other older sister would be right there with you all, slurping away :lol:

Dog saliva has a lower pH than our saliva and they therefore carry a lower bacterial load in their mouths than we do. The only place dirtier than your mouth on your body is your butt. Seriously. Yet we go around kissing people on the mouth right? If you can stick your tongue in another human being's mouth, you can share your ice cream with your dog :lol:

Paula

nasalberry
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:49 PM
I don't have a dog at this time.
I share my Ben & Jerry's with no-one! ;)

Chester's Mom
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:15 PM
Doesn't bother me, but you know what does? Moms who pick up pacifiers off the floor, stick them in their mouths (!!!!) then pop them back in babies. Seen one do it at the mall, thought I would barf. :eek:

wendy
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:49 PM
The only place dirtier than your mouth on your body is your butt.
I don't know about this- I think people's HANDS are probably far "dirtier" than any other part of the body, and the butt is far cleaner than most people's mouths.

It's just a weird, old-fashioned notion that animals are somehow "dirtier" than people, or are full of dangerous germs- simply not true. There's practically nothing you can catch from a well-cared-for pet dog. Unlike people- there are tons of diseases you can catch from other people.

paulaedwina
Apr. 1, 2013, 02:52 PM
With regards to bacterial load -your butt is #1, your mouth is #2, or this is what a dentist said in a program I listened to some time ago. It makes sense to me from a microbiology point of view. Hands are pretty dirty, but they don't even figure into the spectrum of ick.

Paula