PDA

View Full Version : Lobectomy--anyone have experiences?

AliCat518
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:16 PM
My dad will be having a Lobectomy done tomorrow morning due to lung cancer. He is very nervous about recovery/pain. He will have an epidural for 4 days because the pain is supposed to be so severe.

Does anyone have experience with this?? I'd like to know what to expect after.

lilitiger2
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:21 PM
No experience but a lot of prayers for you and your dad.
Epidurals sound like they would be extremely helpful.
I am really, really sorry!

AliCat518
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:24 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate it. This is after just having surgery to remove cancer in his neck plus radiation only 14 months ago, so it's been a tough time for us.

lilitiger2
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:29 PM
Prayers prayers and more prayers that his surgeon's hands are guided! Sounds like he has solid family support.

FineAlready
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:31 PM
I didn't have a lobectomy, but I did have a thoracotomy for a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung). They actually did an epidural against my express direction and wishes, and I had complications from it (and persistent spinal headaches for nearly a year afterward). They removed the epidural early because of the complications (I lost the ability to use one side of my body, which should NOT happen with an epidural! Thankfully, that was temporary).

The good news is that when they go in to operate on the lung, they sever a major nerve branch. So, truly, the pain is not bad at all. I was not in significant pain when they removed the epidural (other than the damn spinal headaches). I still don't have those nerves back, and am told there is no way to do lung surgery without severing them. So I never understood why they were so certain I would be in major pain. I simply wasn't. Not at all. So I hope the same is true for your dad. Good luck to him!

AliCat518
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hmm that's interesting, I certainly hope the same is true for my dad! The doctor told us that it would be way worse than his last surgery, which was incredibly hard on my dad, physically and emotionally. Is there a possibility of nerve damage?? He has quite a bit of nerve damage from his prior surgery and it causes him a lot of pain and irritation.

FineAlready
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:17 PM
I have tons of nerve damage from my thoracotomy where they went in through my side and pulled my ribs apart...but no pain, just numbness. Basically, I'm numb on my left side from the bottom of my ribcage to just below my breast and extending around the entirety of my left rib cage. I'm used to it now (11 years since surgery) and it definitely does not hurt. Hope your dad is pain free and doing tons better soon!

AliCat518
Apr. 1, 2013, 06:52 AM
Ill take any spare jingles if you've got em! At the hospital now.

lilitiger2
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:09 AM
Jingles for your dad! I really hope things go well for him today, and that it is not as bad as he fears.Glad you are there with him. Thinking of you!!

AliCat518
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks again lilitiger! He's in the OR now...thank God for COTH keeping my mind occupied!!

spacytracy
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:31 AM
Funny websites to distract you
Buzzfeed.com
Thechive.com
Theoatmeal.com
Imgdaddy.com
Happyplace.com
Tumblrs- equestrian betches, rider betches, yes I ride horses

Fessy's Mom
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:55 AM
Jingles and prayers that the procedure is much less painful than they have prepared him for. Best wishes for a speedy recovery too! :)

SonnysMom
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:00 AM
My MIL went in for a lobectomy 13 years ago. When they got in they found they only needed to do a wedge resection. I don't remember her mentioning that it was really painful. She has been in remission for 10 years. She was late 60's at the time of the surgery.
Big Jingles for your Dad that he has the same success as she had.

ybiaw
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
Thinking of you!

CVPeg
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:32 AM
Jingles for your Dad! (And you, too.)

Snugglerug
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:49 AM
Sitting in the hospital waiting is one of the hardest jobs . . . Best to you and yours! I hope everything goes well.

AliCat518
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately during the scope, they found that the cancer had spread and is inoperable. He will need chemo and radiation. This is the same cancer his mother died from, and it was very tough. He also didn't handle radiation well last year, so this is not good news at all. :(

Any jingles would be appreciated.

SMF11
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:44 PM
Oh, I am so sorry. Thinking of both you and your Dad, and sending hugs your way.

Snugglerug
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:19 PM
Oh, no, heartbreaking news. Wishing you and your father peace.

BasqueMom
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:22 PM
More jingles and hugs, too.

FineAlready
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:27 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this news. Continued prayers for you and your dad.

tazz001
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hugs for you, jingles for your father. Cancr sucks...plain and simple!!

chai
Apr. 1, 2013, 05:18 PM
Sending New England jingles for your Dad. I'm so sorry to hear what they found and I wish you and your family all the best at this tough time.

ybiaw
Apr. 1, 2013, 05:21 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

AliCat518
Apr. 1, 2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. We'll find out more this week from the oncologist but I think it's gonna be a rough road ahead. I just wish there was a way to keep my dad I'm good spirits!

Blue Yonder
Apr. 1, 2013, 06:34 PM
Blessings and healing to your dad and you, AliCat. I'm sorry!

pixie
Apr. 1, 2013, 06:52 PM
Prayers for you and your Dad!

hosspuller
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:51 PM
My very best wishes for your father. I've had chest surgery too ..

Laurierace
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:04 PM
Sorry you got bad news. Jingles for everyone involved.

eks
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:18 PM
I'm so sorry they were not able to operate on your Dad. You, your Dad, and the rest of your family are in my prayers...I hope he will be more at peace once the oncologist has come up with a plan of treatment for him.

CVPeg
Apr. 2, 2013, 06:34 AM
So sorry about the result. Sending comforting thoughts your way.

nevertoolate
Apr. 2, 2013, 07:34 AM
So sorry to hear this....prayers to your dad and you.