PDA

View Full Version : Best bath and shower cleaner?

NJRider
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:18 PM
What product will actual clean a vile fiberglass tub and shower, short of burning the thing or using acid? I have used CLR, Barkeeper's Friend, the usual soft scrub and comet....need something that will take the top later off!

ThoroughbredFancy
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:23 PM
Kaboom foaming shower cleaner works well. The kind that starts blue and turns white when ready to be scrubbed off. I haven't tacked anything too terrible with it per say, but it got ride of some old stains and god knows what else in one of the sinks in our house when we first moved in. I recommend using it in a well ventilated area/turn the fan on in the bathroom or open a window. I think I intoxicated myself with the fumes cleaning the tub once :lol: it did work, though and isn't too expensive.

Beentheredonethat
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:23 PM
Use the white scrubber sponges that disolve/break apart as you use them. I get them from the $1 store. They will clean anything.

ThoroughbredFancy
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
Ooh, yes, Magic Erasers are capable of cleaning interesting things..

NJRider
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:51 PM
Are Magic Erasers a cleaning product? I would like to erase the whole shower... lol

Beentheredonethat
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:54 PM
Yes, Magic Erasers, or the off brand, look like a rectangle white sponge. As you use them, they disintegrate. They work REALLY well for getting the hards stuff off. My bath tub is 80 years old and doesn't clean well. That's the only thing that really gets it clean. And they are great for wiping down tiles and getting the water stains off and making them shiny. They're great for wiping down walls and fridges and everything to just get that stuff off your normally have to scrub really hard to get off.

NJRider
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:01 PM
Great! I will load up some Magic Erasers and Kaboom to be safe! I am desperate!

randomequine
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:34 PM
Something that I've started using (and had great success with) is a 1:1 mixture of blue Dawn dish soap (the original stuff) and white vinegar. Mix it, then spray the crap out of the shower and cover everything thoroughly (looks like a blue bomb went off). Let it sit for as long as you can stand (I've found the best result to be somewhere in the 1-2 hour range...yeah, that long), then use warm water and a rag or magic eraser to wipe it away!

MyGiantPony
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:31 PM
Magice eraser are awesome.

Here's a page with lots of uses:

http://household-tips.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/01/magic_erasers.php

IneedanOTdayAlter
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:39 PM
HANDS DOWN Lysol Bathroom Cleaner 4-in-1. It comes in a large blue aerosol can. It works better than anything else I've ever tried, but my regular grocery story doesn't carry it, so I have to go elsewhere to get it. But it is worth the effort to buy it. It works SO well.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Bathroom-Cleaner-Aerosol-Island/dp/B007UTJZA0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1364787537&sr=8-6&keywords=lysol+bathroom+cleaner+4+in+1

daisyduke
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:44 PM
Tilex for everyday shower cleaner but Magic Eraser for everything else. I can't imagine what is contained in that little sponge but it works for everything with little effort.

shakeytails
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:53 PM
The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner (http://www.dollartree.com/The-Works-16-oz-Tub-Shower-Cleaner/p6065/index.pro) is the best stuff I've found, and it's only a buck at my local dollar store. I also like The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Magic erasers work great too.

jetsmom
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:39 AM
Hilarious cleaning commercial-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k9K8V2-Itw

Beentheredonethat
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:46 AM
That is a creepy bubble peeper commerical!

JanM
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:28 AM
I use Awesome Orange on tough, dirty fiberglass. You spray it first thing in the morning, right before you leave for the day (the smell is bad), coat everything really well. When you get home spray again, scrub the tub, rinse well. Anything left behind probably isn't coming off. And don't get it reglazed, because it becomes very slick, and usually the finish doesn't hold up.

I think the only place you can buy it is at Dollar Tree, but just get the small spray bottles, not the big gallon of it. Mixing it would be disgusting (it seriously smells strong, and I don't like to even be round it).

Sannois
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:31 AM
Use the white scrubber sponges that disolve/break apart as you use them. I get them from the $1 store. They will clean anything.
YUP! This, and a bit of comet works great! Also straight white vinegar will disolve lime scale beautifully. No nasty chemicals. Bad for you, bad for your septic tank.
Since I went clean eating I went did the same for the products I use to clean the house. No nasty stuff, and so much money saved!!!

loshad
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:41 AM
Vinegar and baking soda. Use two sponges. Soak one in vinegar, the other should be dampened with water. Dump a bunch of baking soda on the damp sponge, put the vinegar soaked sponge behind it, slap against the wall, watch magic happen.

NJRider
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:41 PM
Had a great time with my Magic Eraser...just need to pace myself! :)

PonyPenny
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:32 PM
When my husband and I first moved into our home, they hard water stains and soap scum was all over the bath and shower. The only thing that worked was Lime Away and very fine steel wool. After cleaning everything, we splurged and got a water softener. Best purchase we ever made. Never have to scrub again. I just use a squeegee on the glass shower door and once a week wipe down the fixtures with a damp micro fiber cloth.

Beentheredonethat
Apr. 2, 2013, 01:15 AM
Aren't they fun? You can clean ANYTHING with them. You get things clean you never could. You just have to make sure you keep all of the bits and scrub them away into nothing, or you run through them too fast.

PeteyPie
Apr. 2, 2013, 04:34 AM
Comet Bathroom Cleaner -- the spray stuff, not the powder. Hands down, THE BEST, BEST, BEST!

I tried Tilex, Clorox bleach, Clorox spray bathroom cleaner, Lysol bathroom spray, vinegar and water, liquid dish soap full strength with me on my knees scrubbing with a cloth, Scrubbing Bubbles, Comet cleanser (gently), liquid Tide laundry soap, and others I can't remember. Oh yeah, that green smelly stuff and the Oxy-something one. I was so frustrated until I tried the Comet spray foam. It worked so well on that sort of dark buildup on the floor of my fiberglass/acrylic shower pan that I couldn't believe it!

Really, you've got to try it.

I could do a commercial for that company. Just don't forget it's Comet, not Clorox bathroom cleaner. They both have green labels. My SO bought a bunch of bottles of the Clorox Bathroom stuff thinking it was the right thing. Doesn't work as well at all.

Christa P
Apr. 2, 2013, 10:38 AM
The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner (http://www.dollartree.com/The-Works-16-oz-Tub-Shower-Cleaner/p6065/index.pro) is the best stuff I've found, and it's only a buck at my local dollar store. I also like The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Magic erasers work great too.

Agree with The Works. I have VERY hard water here and deal with rust and lime stains in the sinks, shower, and toilet. For the shower I use The Works Limesol, spray it on and leave it and it cuts right through the brown staining. For the toilet bowl I use The Works Cleaner or the generic store brand (Tops in my case) cleaner. Either one cuts through the hard water stains.

IME the more expensive brands might disinfect, but they don't touch the hard water stains.

Christa

CVPeg
Apr. 2, 2013, 11:03 AM
So glad you asked this!

This is the stuff that my cleaning gal (back in the day I could afford one!) swore by. And we just got a new Dollar Store by the barn! Whooppee! ;)

Something that I've started using (and had great success with) is a 1:1 mixture of blue Dawn dish soap (the original stuff) and white vinegar. Mix it, then spray the crap out of the shower and cover everything thoroughly (looks like a blue bomb went off). Let it sit for as long as you can stand (I've found the best result to be somewhere in the 1-2 hour range...yeah, that long), then use warm water and a rag or magic eraser to wipe it away!

This also makes sense, considering Dawn and vinegar are two ingredients in my best pet clean-up recipe. Will give that a try, too!

Renn/aissance
Apr. 2, 2013, 11:52 AM
So you're saying the Magic Eraser will clean up my white kitchen sink better than baking soda and vinegar? Bless you. I was beginning to get a little upset. I have a thing about clean kitchen sinks. (Also, who the hell puts a white hard-to-clean sink in the kitchen, this is why we have stainless.)

CVPeg
Apr. 4, 2013, 09:22 AM

Well, found the stuff at the new Big Lots by the barn last night. What a blast I'm having! FINALLY no more hard water rings in my 2.5 bathrooms. Especially in the johns. (Also bought their toilet cleaner.) Gal who used to clean for me used this, and I couldn't remember the name, nor ever saw it sold where I usually go to shop.

Thanks for solving a 10 year old puzzle for me, Shakeytails!
(fade as strange woman does a spinning dance holding her toilet brush...) ;)

Jazzy Lady
Apr. 4, 2013, 09:27 AM
White cleaning vinegar and baking soda. It's like science class in your bathroom.

Bells
Apr. 4, 2013, 04:16 PM
PeteyPie - the spray on Comet!! So glad you posted this. I got some last night and wow!! It works!. I'm going to try The Works tonight as I just wanted to see if something cheaper would also work. But I am really happy w/the spray on Comet.

paintedpony
Apr. 4, 2013, 09:01 PM
I second the water softener. Our acrylic shower/tub units were always a mess. I would pull the shower curtain if we had company. When we installed the water softener I cleaned both units with toilet cleaner to get the scale off. Now anything, including liquid soap does an adequate job.

Beentheredonethat
Apr. 5, 2013, 12:35 AM
So you're saying the Magic Eraser will clean up my white kitchen sink better than baking soda and vinegar? Bless you. I was beginning to get a little upset. I have a thing about clean kitchen sinks. (Also, who the hell puts a white hard-to-clean sink in the kitchen, this is why we have stainless.)

Yes. It's way easier. I hatred my stainless kitchen sink. I took it out and put in a great old porcelain one. The Magic Eraser cleans stuff you didn't know was there.

Beentheredonethat
Apr. 5, 2013, 12:35 AM
White cleaning vinegar and baking soda. It's like science class in your bathroom.

Try it on your hair. Very entertaining AND it cleans it way better than shampoo!

Coreene
Apr. 5, 2013, 01:41 AM
Dirtex. In the paint section at Home Depot. Miracle stuff.