PDA

View Full Version : Spin off from last OT day- Where does your name come from?

Renn/aissance
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:05 PM
Last OT day we had a couple of baby name threads that came up with some really interesting stories about where people had gotten their names. So: where does yours come from? Is it a family name? Are you named after somebody? Did you choose your own? Do you like it, or have you thought about changing it?

My given name is the only thing my parents could agree upon and I hated it. I have a middle name in honor of my grandfather, who died the year before I was born (he was Louis; my two cousins born the same year are Louis Andrew and Julia Louise. I ended up with Lynn.) I loathed my first name to the point that in elementary school, I convinced all my friends to call me Rachel (my favorite character from the Animorphs books :lol:- I still have souvenir memorabilia with the name "Rachel.") Around age 10, I acquired the nickname Renn; how I got it is a really long story, but it stuck, and as of 7th grade everyone who was not my immediate family was calling me Renn. I intended to have my name legally changed at 18, but one of the things I loathed about my given name is that it's a diminutive rather than a name in its own right, so I started doing some research about names for which Renn is a nickname. I discovered Renaia, a very uncommon name that is more or less the Latin form of Renee (Renata is another variant.) It reminded me of my grandmother Regina, who had helped raise me after my dad's death. I wanted to live with it for awhile before changing it, though, and given the complete inability of most of my friends to a) say it or b) spell it, may end up going with the shorter, easier, and completely made-up Renna, which is what they end up saying anyway. :lol: Either way, the Renn part stuck. It suits me, I like it, I've only met one other one (Reyn, short for Reynolds, her middle name/mother's maiden) and the only people who call me by my given name are the IRS.

So: what's your name story?

vineyridge
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:15 PM
My first name is a family name--mother, great aunt, great grandmother. It originally came, I believe, from a steamboat on the Hudson River.

Second name was another great grandmother's second name and the name of a sister of my mother's who died in childhood. That great grandmother's whole name was thought to be very unlucky, which is why the combination.

Emryss
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
My first name is a family name--mother, great aunt, great grandmother. It originally came, I believe, from a steamboat on the Hudson River.

Second name was another great grandmother's second name and the name of a sister of my mother's who died in childhood. That great grandmother's whole name was thought to be very unlucky, which is why the combination.

An unlucky name? I would love to know the details of that.

My name is boring - one of the most popular girl names in the 60's. No story, no relatives with the name.

My younger son's name was the product of a family-wide poll. My husband and I were having problems deciding upon a first name, so we gave out the list of possibilities and Son the Younger's name got the most votes. We knew his middle name would be Clarke, after my husband's stepfather, whom he loved and had passed away many years ago. Standing joke was that if we couldn't agree on a name, Son the Younger would either be named Lewis Clarke or Arthur Clarke. He avoided those...but sometimes I secretly wish we could have gone with Lewis Clarke.

Son the Elder could have been named James T(aylor) Kirk after relatives in my family. They didn't give me enough drugs during labor for me to follow through... Geeky son, however, has thought about changing his name because it tickles his fancy. He's an adult now - he can do what he wants!

Megaladon
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
My first name is very French, and apparently for Americans, very hard to pronounce LOL. I loathed it in school because the teachers would mispronounce it and when I corrected them, they got pissy with me! I'm still not too thrilled with it, but it's very rare and unique, combining with my French last name. It has an exotic ring to it, but doesn't look it. Europeans get my name in a heartbeat, no problems. My middle name is Anne, after my great grandmother. Not sure how my first name was reached. I do know both of my parents liked it.

vineyridge
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:34 PM
Unlucky? From what I was told, there were grandchildren named for her by about six of her children and none survived to adulthood. My first cousin named her daughter the full name, and her daughter almost died in childhood from a burst appendix. Thanks to modern medicine, she lived. But she came close to not making it.

saddleup
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:35 PM
My first name has no interesting story. My middle name is after the nun who stayed with my mom through all three difficult deliveries when my older brothers and I were born. She was on duty each time and stayed past her shift to support my mom, earning her the questionable honor of having me bear her name.

toxicity
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:40 PM
First name: My sister, in 4th grade at the time, loved her music teacher and suggested the name. My mom liked it too.

Middle name: One of my mom's sisters.

I had the revelation a few months ago that my siblings and I have a three-syllable first name and a two-syllable middle name. "Yeah, we did that on purpose cause it sounds good," my mom said. :lol:

Louise
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:39 PM
My first name is a family name. One in each generation got it, and, in my generation, because a couple of sisters couldn't agree, two got it. Mine was the last generation to carry the name, however. In the sixties, the word gained a new connotation which, while not bad in itself, did make the name very tease-worthy.

starhorse
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:43 PM
Well, when I was born, my dad suggested "Rebecca," which was coincidentally his ex-girlfriend's name (right before he met mom).

Mom kicked him out of the room. An hour later, mom informed dad of my name.

I find the story hilarious.

Ride'emCO
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:14 PM
I was named for San Michele di Ganzaria, the town in which my paternal grandparents were born and raised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Michele_di_Ganzaria

inne
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:20 PM
My name was also the only one that my parents could agree on. My dad liked the name Camilla, but my mom hated it and thank god for that as the only Camilla I can think of is Camilla Parker Bowles and, closely related, Camille Paglia, the most famous woman-hating supposed feminist there is.

Covergirl15
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:22 PM
I was named after my mom's cousin, and I used to always hate it when I was younger b/c no one pronounced it correctly and it took too long to write ;) (my first name is 8 letters, my middle 9 letters, and my last 5) However, now I love b/c it is so different--I've only met one other person with the same name (tho I have never met her cousin)

Natalie A
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:39 PM
Natalie means born on Christmas, and I was born in December. I was either going to be named Nicholas, Natalie or Hollie. My parents were stuck on the Christmas theme... ironic since neither of them are Christian?! I like my name, common enough that people can (usually...) spell it, but not so common that there are a million other Natalies everywhere.

boosma47
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:42 PM
I was named for my maternal grandmother, a 19th cent American artist. She ruled our lives, self centered, manipulative, gifted and a snob.

But it is MY name now and she set a good example for me not to follow :P

blueeyepaint
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:46 PM
My mom named me after the Dr who cured her when she was a child. She had a goiter that was due to a lack of iodine in her diet. Luck for me it was a lady doctor.

TheJenners
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:09 PM
Nothing interesting. Number one name to name a baby girl in the early 80s, thanks for being original.... In one class, there were seven girls all named the same dang thing. Can anyone guess? Ya, Jennifer. So I go by the diminutive religiously and correct people at work who use the full name. I do spell it with two Ns though :).

The only people I introduce myself with my full name is service providers, like when I call the gas company or make a doctor appointment, and pretty much anything over the phone with strangers, because Jenn combined with my last name has a lot of hard guttural sounds and is hard to understand at first, especially over the phone.

Indy
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:12 PM
My first name was the only name my parents could agree on so I was going to be it whether I was a boy or a girl. Apparently they heard it on TV one night and then the next day, the guy who delivered bread to their deli in the mornings - who every morning would come in with a new baby name suggestion - came in with the same name. They figured it was fate and stuck with it. I personally don't like my name, it's gender ambiguous and impossible to nickname anything that doesn't suck. The only thing I like about it is that it's a breed of horse (my parents aren't horsey).

My middle name is a family name. It's the same as the second half of my mom's name and the same as my aunt's middle name. We're all named for my paternal great-grandfather (who was a drunk who regularly abandoned his family and was eventually committed to a mental hospital, where he died...good man to be named for!). I do like having a family name, though, even if I'm named after a drunk. I think it's a nice tradition to have some connection or meaning behind a name. I'm not sure if I'll use it for my children (if I have a boy, definitely, I like the original name) but I'll definitely go with some sort of family name.

Brooke
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:19 PM
My mom read the name in a book when she was pregnant. Growing up, I was the only one with that name, and in college (20,000 students) there were only two others - one a guy, the other a girl; now, of course, there are lots of young girls named after the famous model of the same name. I actually liked being the only one.

supershorty628
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:34 PM
My parents thought they were picking an uncommon name. Unfortunately, the rest of the American population had the same idea about the same name at the same time... I wish it were at least spelled with ie at the end instead of y so it would be a little different, but oh well.

gaitedincali
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:40 PM
My Dad named me, all on his own. He decided at the very last minute to just pick the first thing he thought of and put it down without consulting my Mom at all.

While this wasn't very good for the marriage, I will forever be thankful to him for saving me from a life as Roxy Hollywood Last_name. Seriously.

kateh
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:46 PM
My first name (Kate, in case you couldn't guess ;)) was one of the only ones my parents could agree on. I was almost Carl because my mother was CONVINCED I was going to be a boy. I'm *kind of* named after her best friend, who's name is actually Kathy but my mom always called her Kate. My parents learned their lesson after my sister Elizabeth was always called Liz, and decided not to name me Katherine or Caitlin or anything.

My middle name is my paternal grandmother's maiden name. It's kind of a tradition in my family to give girls someone's maiden name for their middle name.

SarahandSam
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:50 PM
I was named after an ancestor who was hanged in the Salem witch trials. I actually was related to three Salem/Topsfield witches, but the most direct one has the same first and maiden name as me. (:

Bluey
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:58 PM
My first name (Kate, in case you couldn't guess ;)) was one of the only ones my parents could agree on. I was almost Carl because my mother was CONVINCED I was going to be a boy. I'm *kind of* named after her best friend, who's name is actually Kathy but my mom always called her Kate. My parents learned their lesson after my sister Elizabeth was always called Liz, and decided not to name me Katherine or Caitlin or anything.

My middle name is my paternal grandmother's maiden name. It's kind of a tradition in my family to give girls someone's maiden name for their middle name.

I too was supposed to be a boy, according to all wive's tales about babies signs before they are born, so as it was tradition, I was getting my father's name.

Then I was born a girl, oops!:lol:
So, they used the feminine version of the name.:p

I don't really care either way, don't like or dislike it, never thought about that, really, it is just a name.:yes:

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:08 PM
My name is a feminized version of my father's that my parents thought was made up. I've met several in person (graduated college right after another one with my name) and have seen many on Facebook. I hated my name growing up because it was so different and no one could pronounce it. I dreamed of turning 18 and being able to legally change it. I got used to it by then and never bothered.

I named my son after a map. About 3 weeks before he was born, I was working in the government documents section of the library, stamping documents "withdrawn." I saw it, thought, "I like that," stamped it and that was the end of it :D

Tiffany01
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:11 PM
my grandma's madin name was Tiffany.

rustbreeches
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:25 PM
My first name was picked after a boy my mom taught baton twirling to in the late '50's. I love it, but I was born in 79 and it got freakishly popular a few years later. My middle name is Marion, which I love. It is my Dad's middle name, and was his dad's middle name.

bits619
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:29 PM
My parents are horribly uncreative. They had three labradors in succession all with the same name, which was taken from our last name, for crying out loud. My brother's name is my dad's own and his older brother's first name as the middle. My name is my maternal grandmother's name with a spelling variation and my mom's middle name for my middle, again with a spelling variation.
It's a classic, long standing name and isn't trendy which I appreciate, but I would have enjoyed a little more creative license in their part!
My would-be names which my parents didn't agree on were Amelia, isobel and Stephanie. I would have loved Amelia or isobel, especially since this was before they became popular.
My biological mom never admitted to thinking of names for me since she placed me for adoption. My bio dad told her he liked the name Cassandra, nickname Casey. Turns out about 7 years later he did have a daughter who he named that, so I guess he was serious about it! Don't know if it was a family name or what. My bio mom's parents fostered an infant after I was placed and they 'named' her Amy for the two weeks they took care of her, and when I finally met them they said they always kind of thought of me and that baby as the same, so in their minds I could have been an Amy.

Katherine/Kate suits me though, I think :)

Beentheredonethat
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:36 PM
My parents thought they would have a boy and name him Tim, but they got my sister and called her Kim (not Kimberly.) Then me, and no name, so my mom tells me my dad just suggested my named, which is completely made up and sounds like a Persian name now. (My dad died when I was 8, so I never really asked him.) My brother and sister got my mom's and uncle's names as middle names. My middle name is M, no period, standing for four M named relatives. So my brother and sister have very common names, and mine is very unusual. And, since I am so old, it was really uncommon. Only when people from the middle east started immigrating did it not sound so exotic.

It is what is is, but no one every pronounces it the same way, and no one ever spells it correctly.

hastyreply
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
I was named for my maternal grandfather. I have the feminized version of his name. I had an aunt and a niece and there is a great granddaughter of the aunt all with the same name. Several cousins had it for a middle name. In the family I had a silly nickname, but I know how people know by they name they know me by. Middle name was mothers maiden name.

My name wasn't common but it wasn't unheard of either. My children were given less common family names. So far the only grandchild also has family names.

MyGiantPony
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:41 AM
I was born on my Great Aunt's birthday, so my parents asked her to name me. No idea where she came up with it, but it popped out of her mouth immediately.

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:47 AM
My full name (maiden name anyhow) is Samantha Ashley M******, thus my initials spell SAM and that is my nickname. :) now I am "SAC" thanks hubby for screwing up my charming initials. :lol:
My daddy named me. I was supposed to be Loren Ashley. My dad changes my moms mind two weeks before I was born.

Hubby's middle name is after his grandfather.
We plan on using his grandfathers name and dads name (Thomas James) and my grandfathers name and my dads name (Timothy Joseph) as names for our kids. Can you tell we REALLY want two boys?? :lol:

RedHorses
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:12 AM
Family lore has it that my dad would simply say "not Sarah" when asked about names for me. He also refused to entertain the notion that I was a boy. My mom suggested name after name, and finally got one from a neighbour downstairs that wasn't immediately rejected. :lol:

CDE Driver
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:52 AM
I love all these stories, now I want to know what everyone's names are!

My Mother is a native Hawaiian, so my siblings and I all have Christian first names and Hawaiian middle names. We all go by our Hawaiian names.

Fred
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:13 AM
My first name is very French, and apparently for Americans, very hard to pronounce LOL. I loathed it in school because the teachers would mispronounce it and when I corrected them, they got pissy with me! I'm still not too thrilled with it, but it's very rare and unique, combining with my French last name. It has an exotic ring to it, but doesn't look it. Europeans get my name in a heartbeat, no problems. My middle name is Anne, after my great grandmother. Not sure how my first name was reached. I do know both of my parents liked it.

So, now I am very curious about what your first name is?

Renn, I have always loved your name, and did not know it was not your given name.
I think too, when I say it in my head I am also seeing 'wren' - which is also good.

My name is boring, I have no idea how my parents picked it, and I don't like it.
It could be worse though. I was born on the first day of spring, and my mother wanted to call me 'Spring'.

boing.

Alagirl
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:39 AM
I was named after my grandmother's dog.

My mom denies it, but I have proof: The dog was there first!

:lol::lol:

Renn/aissance
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:49 AM
My name is boring, I have no idea how my parents picked it, and I don't like it.
It could be worse though. I was born on the first day of spring, and my mother wanted to call me 'Spring'.

boing.

You had a narrow escape there.

I was saved from being Fay (my great-grandmother) by my father's odious aunt Fay. Fay works if you're 5' tall and thin as a whip. I don't think I'm one of those. ;)

hastyreply
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:22 AM
I was told I was almost named Eliza Jane after a great great grandmother. I'm not sure if I wouldn't have preferred it over Felicia. I'm nothing like any of the characters that get that name. LOL

Auburn
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:17 PM
My folks wanted a boy. My name is my Dad's middle name. Because I am a girl, my Mom put an "e" on the end, which only confuses everyone "Lowelle". Most folks think that it is pronounced like Noel, instead of like Lowell, MA.

My middle name is my Mom's maiden name, "Vann". Either way, I was stuck with family names better suited for boys. :sigh:

"Vann" is Welsh. I come from a long line of Welsh shipwreckers. My ancestors lived on the cliffs, near the sea. My heritage is that my "kin" would set lights out in the fog to wreck the ships and steal from them. "Vann" was shortened from Vanndahls (sp?), "Vandal". When I was in my 20's, I visited there and went out to the cliffs. It is a lovely place. There are mostly sheep farms now.

My folks did not get a boy, but they definitely got a tomboy. ;)

boosma47
Apr. 2, 2013, 10:52 AM
BTW, had I been a boy, my father insisted he would have named me Erastus after his uncle and grandfather.

Raz? Era? Rastus? Eras?

My grandmother/namesake's first name was Myrtle. Things could have been worse for me, I guess.

Curb Appeal
Apr. 2, 2013, 11:24 AM
The doctor who delivered me chose my name from 3 options my parents were considering. He picked Susan. The other options were Katherine and Nadine. My middle name, Kay, is the same as my mom's.

My kids have family names. My son is Daniel Martin for my husband's dad and my maternal grandfather. My daughter, Lillian Joyce, is named for my husband's aunt and my paternal grandmother.

reefy!
Apr. 2, 2013, 12:19 PM
I was a late in life surprise for my parents (who already had 2 daughters). They were convinced I would be the son they always wanted and my name was to be Timothy David so when I was a football star, my sports name would be T.D. Lastname (as in touch down lastname). OOPS. They got daughter number 3 and I almost had a really nice irish name (Brigid) and then they decided to go with the "nom du jour" for many little girls in the 70's. Nothing unique at all about my name!