PDA

View Full Version : My Little Stinky Breath Cat

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:00 AM
I'm worried about my older cat, he is 4 and will be 5 this July. I made an appointment with his vet for Thursday but would like to hear anyones take or perhaps experience if similar?

Tux was hit by a car when he was a yearling, his little face was smashed so bad. The vet literally wired his little face back together, I tube fed him for a month through a little hole in his neck then he had to lick/suck slop-like wet food for a month then another month of only super wet food. He has recovered and eats only dry food now (he hates wet food with a passion now because of his ordeal I think). Still, he is a little "off", jaws a little crooked, eyes offset and one does not dilate correctly.

The past month, maybe a few weeks, I have noticed his breath is super strong. No weird odor, just super strong stinky cat breath. Of course, with his history of trauma in his jaw area, this worries me.

He is also behaving odd, kind of quiet and not as happy seeming. Now, I have started packing things and he always knows when something is up so in all honesty I can probably blame his odd behavior on that. But, paired with the stinky breath I went ahead and made an appointment. He does get super clingy when he is feeling icky, and right now he isn't real clingy although he does always manage to be near.

I am probably blowing this all out of proportion but he is my little guy :( All other things normal, potty box, appetite, playing with Edo (the yearling).

Carol Ames
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:08 AM
You've mentioned a very important symptonyou've noticed, good for you

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:13 AM
What do you mean, Carol?

inne
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:13 AM
Perhaps he just needs a good cleaning or simple extraction. I really hope he's okay.

Joanne
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:49 AM
I had been noticing my cat had stinky breath for about the last six months to a year. It came on gradually, I guess, because I thought it was from the cat food. During his yearly wellness exam back in December, vet said he had plaque build up. He went in to have his teeth cleaned and it turned out that he needed to have a tooth pulled also. I thought he had been acting a little off. Vet tech said she was tapping his teeth when he was under and he winced when she tapped that particular tooth, so I felt really bad that it had been hurting him and I didn't know it.

I admire you for taking such good care of your Tux.

Sannois
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:17 AM
Perhaps he just needs a good cleaning or simple extraction. I really hope he's okay.
My thoughts too, I have a kitty who always has tartar build up, :(She does not chew her food EVER) So it is a once a year or every other year thing, no more stinky breath.

Chall
Mar. 31, 2013, 05:58 AM
Give his litter box a smell, just to be sure. If his feces smelled differently than normal, I'd be thinking digestive issue. My cat with pancreatitis had horrible breath.

shezabrazenmare
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:04 AM
Bad breath can mean tooth or gum issues.

It can also mean that there are stomach or organ issues. So have a full vet check done by a vet who won't dismiss bad breath as "noting to worry about."

volvo_240
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:09 AM
He probably has dental disease, which is treated very well and routinely in most small animal practices. It does require general anesthesia and all of the pre-op work up and anesthetic care and monitoring required to make it safe. Don't let someone mask him and pull the teeth that are loose enough to grab with your fingers :rolleyes:

Kidney disease also gives them a distinct odor to the breath, but he's awfully young for that and would likely have other symptoms.

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:02 AM
Hhhm. He doesn't really chew either, well, to me anyway. He is missing a few teeth. He has a hard time picking up food that is too big and also anything that is small and stuck to a bowl. I hope it is just tartar build up.

vxf111
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:13 AM
Could be a rotted tooth, not uncommon in cats and his history may have left him with more places for tartar/bacteria to get trapped. Poor guy! Vet time for sure.

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 10:53 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those crazy CST ladies who brushes her cats teeth LOL.

Better start getting Edo desensitized to it, he's a real live wire. Tux on the other hand, will tolerate anything good little man that he is :)

Renn/aissance
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
My Bug kitty had terrible breath starting at age 4-5 because of awful teeth. Terrible plaque build-up no matter what we did, gum disease, tooth decay, started having extractions around age 6. When he died at 13 or so he had three teeth left and mouthed soft food. With your guy's history of jaw trauma it seems like teeth would be a good place to start, but with good management, my understanding from Bug's vet is that lousy teeth are usually not a big deal if they are kept on top of and regularly cleaned. Hope this is the case for your kitty too!

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:44 PM
I hope so! Thanks Renn. Poor guy will be so sad if he has to eat wet food again, he seriously hates it with a passion. He even sniffs and huffs, turns up his nose, about faces and storms off it is present in his world LOL!!

volvo_240
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:23 PM
We've extracted most of my MIL'S cat's teeth and she still eats hard food just fine. Notice how most cat puke has kibbles in their original form :) . They are usually feeling much better and eat like piggies after the offending teeth are tended to.

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:28 PM
Good to hear then :) Although, he is in good weight so I hope he doesn't get fat. The other one, Edo, is the fatty pork chop muffin belly LOL!!

twotrudoc
Apr. 4, 2013, 05:09 PM
Tux has been declared fit and healthy. His teeth are in really good shape and he is a bit on the fat side. Most cats get scared and hide at the vet, not my Tux. He hopped out, investigated, met everyone, nosed around, and put his paws on everything he could. He did look mildly appalled at having a thermometer in his backside but beyond that, he had a good time.

It was good for him to get a check up anyway. I switched his food to a dental kind last week and the bad breath is gone, I am thinking it was his other food.