PDA

View Full Version : "Bum" foods- Let's share our nastiest concoctions.

catosis
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:59 PM
What is the worst thing you have eaten that you made out of sheer desperation/laziness/late night "what evers"?

As I type this I am shoveling peanut butter and jam on a spoon into my face. It is abhorrent, but in the most delicious way possible. And, even though I don't make them, nasty Orion Chocopies are pretty bad, too.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:13 PM
Sliced cheese on crackers and melted in the microwave.

When we were kids, we used to make "fudge" by mixing just enough Quick to make a paste, then put it in the fridge until it got solid.

Guilherme
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:17 PM

When we were kids, we used to make "fudge" by mixing just enough Quick to make a paste, then put it in the fridge until it got solid.

French fries smothered in gravy.

G.

daisyduke
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:18 PM

The "fudge" is absolutely genius.

Wizard of Oz's
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:30 PM
Make?? When I'm feeling lazy, it's usually a drive through! Horrible, I know, but my super lazy place of choice is usually Taco Bell. :eek:

Mara
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:39 PM
I have microwaved frozen french fries when I'm too impatient to wait the 15 minute it would take them to bake in the oven. Sad, I know, and they're not very good that way. Ketchup helps.

Long Spot
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:44 PM
I never did it, but watched an ex boyfriend do it. I don't think I ever got over it.

He took a corn tostada shell, but a slice of bologna and a kraft single on it, microwaved it and chowed down. If it was a flour tortilla, I might have been able to not be so grossed out.

Oh, edited to add that once when I was 10 or so I ate a large spoonful of plain old mayo as an after school snack. Figured it worked for peanut butter, so why not. I miss having the metabolism of a hummingbird.

skydy
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:51 PM
Oh hell, Long Spot, you poor thing. :eek:

Now I have to share that horror. Thanks..:lol::lol:

ETA Written before your mayo edit..

Heinz 57
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:54 PM
Not really a "lazy" food per se, but one of the tastiest things ever is a slice of bologna on top of cream cheese on a bagel. Mr. Heinz thought I was completely nuts until I made him try one.

I also love fish sticks - no, not a filet or a patty, those little processed sticks. And I like them EVER BETTER the next day, cold, straight out of the fridge. It's gross, it's weird, I know, but I don't care. I make extra fish sticks just so I can have some for breakfast.

Long Spot
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:05 AM
Oh hell, Long Spot, you poor thing. :eek:

Now I have to share that horror. Thanks..:lol::lol:

ETA Written before your mayo edit..

Know what I've noticed about that story? (The tostada one). When I've told it to men, they kind of do the "I guess to you it's nasty" shrug and I can see the thought bubble that says I've just given them an idea.

TheHunterKid90
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:07 AM
Sour cream topped with salsa and that topped with shredded cheese and scooped with corn chips. I can eat it by the bowl.

Oh, and a grilled cheese with a fried egg and bacon on it.

Homemade butter....I can just eat it plain off the spoon :no:

Cream cheese. Just plain.

ManyDogs
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:10 AM
Oatmeal, brown sugar, soft butter. Mixed up but not nuked/cooked.

skydy
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:10 AM
Know what I've noticed about that story? (The tostada one). When I've told it to men, they kind of do the "I guess to you it's nasty" shrug and I can see the thought bubble that says I've just given them an idea.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bluey
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:11 AM
I knew I should not have read this thread.:dead:

rustbreeches
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:16 AM
I'm freaking pregnant and none of this sounds appealing!

DH makes a peanut butter burrito if I am not around and he is hungry. Large flour tortilla, smeared with butter then crunchy peanut butter, roll it up and nuke I for 45 seconds.

Madaketmomma
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:40 AM
Pringles with butter. College. Desperate.

Fillabeana
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:45 AM
Twelve year old boy rooting through the fridge the other day...he made himself a turkey bologna sandwich, with cheese and nutella. Eeeew.

stolen virtue
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:48 AM
Flour tortilla, cheese, salsa and sour cream. A meal in a fry pan......ok I add cilantro and avocado. A scrambled egg if it is before noon...

mvp
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:01 AM
My dad's concoctions:

Peanut butter and butter... peanut butter on one half, butter on the other. Fold it over. Usually both butters were hard and not spread. Meh, it got mixed up well enough in one bite AND you could make the whole thing during a commercial so as to not miss any Dallas.

This guy also would swim laps in the morning followed by Product 19 cereal (cornflakes sprayed with vitamins), sugar and evaporated milk. Again, all this came out even somehow in his mind.

CVPeg
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:11 AM
My father would create the nastiest concoctions.
One of his favorites was peanut butter and...mayonnaise.
Or peanut butter with...
Liverwurst.
Thought he was crazy, but I did try it, and it wasn't really bad.

Fortunately it prepared me well for babysitting. This one kid was a piece of work. His parents doctors. He'd take everything in the kitchen and blend it, and it never phased me...thus earning his respect. We got along, the house wasn't set on fire, and I was paid really, really well. :winkgrin:

vxf111
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:21 AM
We once caught my little sister drinking cool melted butter with a straw.

I left my gross recipies in college. There is only so much you can "make" stone cold drunk in a dorm mini microwave. Nacho madness was melted velveeta with salsa poured over it. Eaten with tortilla chips. Nacho lunacy was melted cream cheese with salsa poured over. Also served in tortilla chips. We didn't eat a whole lot better when we "ate out" at Louie's at 2am. Everyone on campus, cooks included, was drunk.

gdolapp
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:22 AM
Grilled cheese with dill pickle slices in the center and grape jelly on top,
mac n cheese with ketchup
cottage cheese with ketchup
cream cheese n chives on wheat cracker

vxf111
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:33 AM
My granmother's special recipie of sliced bananas in a bowl with sour cream and sweet n low sprion top. Bleh!

I frequently enjoy cottage cheese topped with sliced tomatoes and loads of salt and pepper.

Friends make a kick ass cucumber salad with cukes, mayo, and sugar. Soundsgross but until they told me I always thought it was super good.

Actually anything made primarily of anything like sour cream/mayo sounds pretty vile.

vxf111
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:34 AM
My granmother's special recipie of sliced bananas in a bowl with sour cream and sweet n low sprion top. Bleh!

I frequently enjoy cottage cheese topped with sliced tomatoes and loads of salt and pepper.

Friends make a kick ass cucumber salad with cukes, mayo, and sugar. Soundsgross but until they told me I always thought it was super good.

Actually anything made primarily of anything like sour cream/mayo sounds pretty vile.

Joanne
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:10 AM
One time when I needed a crunch fix, I ate an uncooked ramen noodle brick (didn't know what else to call it).

BeaSting
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:29 AM
Frozen orange juice concentrate eaten straight from the can with a spoon.

wendy
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:37 AM
dill pickles wrapped in bacon.

S1969
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:38 AM
These are great - and some of them very normal -- nacho chips and velveeta? I couldn't afford that when I was young. That would have been a special meal! :)

Cucumber salad with mayo? Hello, doesn't everyone make that?

But some of these are really gross!! I am still gagging about the Quik Fudge.

I have never made this but my cousin's young sons would sneak off and make this "special" concoction: bologna sprayed with that fake butter stuff, rolled up and eaten. Agh!!

kookicat
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:51 AM
Slightly scared to ask but- what's Quik Fudge?

Chall
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:55 AM
Family favorites:
banana sice wrapped in bacon, toothpick to hold it together, cook in oven. Pretty good.
Raw onion sliced very thin on a piece of hard tack with mayo.
My choice: raw turnip slice on hardtack with mayo, or plain ol raw turnip eaten like an apple (if your teeth survive it).

horseymum
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:31 AM
chips (french fries) smothered in coelman's redimix curry sauce.......so, so, so bad but so, so, so good!

suz
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:34 AM
i had this the other night--delicious but gross,lol.

start with refridgerated roll up triangle biscuits--what are those things called?!
anyway wrap each one around an apple slice and place in a pie pan all crowded together.
pour a mix of milk, sugar and apple pie spices over it all and bake until gooey.
dear lord i am so glad i didn't learn how to do this when i was a young'un.

S1969
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:38 AM
Slightly scared to ask but- what's Quik Fudge?

(Nestles Quik chocolate milk powder).

:disgust:

I probably would have tried it as a kid, but today it just makes me shudder!

Heinz 57
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:15 AM
i had this the other night--delicious but gross,lol.

start with refridgerated roll up triangle biscuits--what are those things called?!
anyway wrap each one around an apple slice and place in a pie pan all crowded together.
pour a mix of milk, sugar and apple pie spices over it all and bake until gooey.
dear lord i am so glad i didn't learn how to do this when i was a young'un.

genius. I might just have to try this.

lovey1121
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:19 AM
I also love fish sticks - no, not a filet or a patty, those little processed sticks. And I like them EVER BETTER the next day, cold, straight out of the fridge. It's gross, it's weird, I know, but I don't care. I make extra fish sticks just so I can have some for breakfast.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have a 44 count pkg of Gorton's fish sticks in my freezer. My excuse is that they were 40% off. And I'm sticking to it ;)

lovey1121
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:22 AM
My personal odd go-to is a slice of ham smeared with peanut butter topped with a piece of Land O' Lakes american cheese and rolled around a dill pickle. Salty, sweet, fat, protein, crunch all in one.

sk_pacer
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:34 AM
My go to quick meal is fried bologna pieces in scrambled eggs. And almost anything goes with dill pickles.....must try the bacon and dills in a sandwich, will make a change from bologna or salami and dills. My worst is chicken burgers - they come pre-cooked and I nuke them rather than fry them and sometimes drown them in ketchup.

nickers@dawn
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:47 AM
When I was a kid I used to take a cold class of milk and add a big blob of applesauce. Stir it up and it made a pretty good milkshake!

mvp
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:56 AM
We didn't eat a whole lot better when we "ate out" at Louie's at 2am. Everyone on campus, cooks included, was drunk.

Do you mean Louie's truck at Cornell?

JanM
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:02 PM
Dad's favorite-peanut butter and banana, on Wonder Bread (nastiest white bread ever).

My disgusting once a year, Miracle Whip on white bread. And Triscuit with cheese and nuked is good.

vxf111
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:21 PM
Do you mean Louie's truck at Cornell?

Louie's snack bar in south halls at penn state. But knowing college campuses, likely quite similar!

vineyridge
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:30 PM
Ketchup and saltines.

Sandwich of Nutella and Velveeta on decent sliced bread--not white bread.

Claddagh
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:34 PM
Dad's favorite-peanut butter and banana, on Wonder Bread (nastiest white bread ever).

:lol: Hey, that was my Dad's favorite too! I used to eat it with him when I was a kid - and it's actually pretty good!

Another variation is peanut butter and dill pickle on white bread, also surprisingly good. A kid at school used to bring this for lunch - got me started on bringing it too!

Calico
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thumbs up to peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Once in a while, I'll stuff a hamburger patty with cream cheese and strawberry jam, pan-fry it and eat with a fork.

glfprncs
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:04 PM
As a tween, I used to open a can of Campbell's ABC vegetable soup and eat it with a spoon straight out of the can. No need to add water (as it is condensed) or heat it up. The little corn niblets were SO yummy.

My mom always yelled at me...she thought I'd get botulism. Fortunately, I didn't!

besttwtbever
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:28 PM
I'll admit that I'm a bit leery of odd combinations so there are very few I've tried. However if someone put it in front of me, I'd try it.

My Dad on the other hand... :no:

Just the other night he couldn't find the mayo (because my mom wasn't home and he doesn't cook) so he made tuna fish with plain yogurt instead of mayo. :eek::dead:

cowboymom
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:09 PM
I always try to make polenta and have it taste good and it never does. :(

Hunter Princess
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:13 PM
Peanut butter, Fluff and bananas on white bread. Hungry just thinking about it.

My favorite comfort food that my mom used to make when my Dad was on a trip: Hot dogs, sliced down the middle, with mashed potatoes and cheese layered on top. Sometimes with ketchup as well.

Emryss
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
Twelve year old boy rooting through the fridge the other day...he made himself a turkey bologna sandwich, with cheese and nutella. Eeeew.

So far, you win...but no fair bringing the teenaged boy into the discussion. That's cheating.

ddashaq
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:36 PM
French fries smothered in gravy.

G.

This plus cheese. My ultimate comfort food and so not good for me. I am told it is a Canadian dish, but I first discovered it in the UK.

MoonoverMississippi
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:55 PM
DH's guaranteed-to-make-me-leave-the-room snack is a peanut butter, butter, and raw hot dog sandwich (where is the gagging and heaving icon?). Kicks in my gag reflex every time. He loffs them.

Kneigh
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:57 PM
Microwaved "baked" potato w/ seasoned salt and ketchup. Tastes rather like french fries.

Embarrassed to admit I do this 2-3 times a month when getting home late from the barn and don't want to cook.

Megaladon
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:14 PM
When I was a kid, I ate raw hot dogs religiously.

Sometimes in a great while, potato chips topped with cottage cheese.

I've never had Nutella, but the fact that it's chocolate hazelnut spread, putting it on a sandwich just sounds so gross!

Hulk
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:29 PM
As a tween, I used to open a can of Campbell's ABC vegetable soup and eat it with a spoon straight out of the can. No need to add water (as it is condensed) or heat it up. The little corn niblets were SO yummy.

My mom always yelled at me...she thought I'd get botulism. Fortunately, I didn't!

Wow this was what my go to yuck meal was too.

OTV
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:00 PM
Cheese and jam sandwich.
Peanut butter and pickle sandwich.
Ramen noodles with cheese whiz.
Baloney wrapped around pickles. Sometimes kraft singles and baloney wrapped around a pickle.

That's what I used to eat in my riding+going to university days.

My mom's idea of comfort food was a "surprise" casserole. She'd dump in pasta, cream of mushroom soup, tuna or salmon, top with cheese...and voila. Or worse, pasta, chunks of tomato, and topped with velveeta cheese. No surprise i used to hate the nights she made supper.

Now that I'm vegan my junk food has changed a lot. i tend to go towards smushed avocado on toast with a little salt and pepper. Or slather hummus on a wrap and stuffed with any veggies I can find.

WildBlue
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:33 PM
My mom gave us peanut butter and tomato sandwiches. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as it sounds.

We also loved her 'pizza': slice of bread topped with ketchup, a sprinkle of oregano, and a slice of cheese warmed under the broiler. Waaaay better than her real pizza, which featured half-cooked dough under mounds of raw, yellow onion and canned tuna.

vxf111
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:34 PM
Commercial/supermarket hot dogs are precooked. So eating them out of the fridge- they me cold but they're not "raw" no less gross but less scary from a food safety pov.

KateKat
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:40 PM
I always try to make polenta and have it taste good and it never does. :(

Add cheese and plenty of salt/pepper. Yum.

Kraft Mac n cheese with peas and ketchup. Not that weird but yummy! Spam sushi-just had it the other night. Also had moco loco, which is rice, hamburger patty, fried egg and gravy. Hello heart attack!

Bluey
Mar. 31, 2013, 04:44 PM
Another vote for the banana in a folded piece of bread, nothing else.
That is good.:)

tabula rashah
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:30 PM
My go to quickie-I-don't-want-to-cook meal is a flour tortilla, add shredded cheese of some kind and pepperoni, fold and microwave. Or I've been known to eat slices of cream cheese just plain

Blue Yonder
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:34 PM
Hummus. Just...hummus. On a spoon. Protein, fiber, fat all rolled into one perfect food.

Eaten with a spoon.

Gross in theory (and just a little strong!!), but hits the spot.

Mar. 31, 2013, 08:16 PM
Oatmeal, brown sugar, soft butter. Mixed up but not nuked/cooked.

Isn't that called cookie dough?

bits619
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:02 PM
This thread is so confusing to my stomach/reflexes! I'll read some and be gagging, stomach twisting, then get to another post and want to take notes and try it out! But Omg the things some of y'all put on a sandwich!! I'm trying to mention one in particular as an example, but my brain and memory have fully rejected them!!

bits619
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:15 PM
I went back and looked, one (but not the only one) was the ham, pb, cheese and pickle... I'm sorry, I just can't!!!
Squirming around lol
The Polish guy I dated had never had tacos before. We were living in Ireland and I hadn't figured out what their version of sour cream was. The first time we tried something out it was yogurt, which he put on his tacos and loved. Then cottage cheese. Then we got it right, but he also tried cream cheese on the tacos one time before that too. He said it all tasted good, but what would he know about taco fixins anyway?!
I used to drink the little Creamer pots at restaurants when I was little. Several years ago at dinner with my parents we were reminiscing and that came up. So I decided to try out a mini Creamer thing again, straight from the tiny cup. Could. Not. Do it.

Come to think of it, Polish guy also had this dish which wasn't a bum meal by any means, but was a mish mash of loss of things, served cold. Rice I think, celery, cubed chicken, oregano, mayo, and some other things. I wish I could think of that recipe again because I remember liking it. Hmm.

NBChoice
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:22 PM
I love slicing up a whole tomato and putting salt on it. Yum.

Whoever said they eat sour cream, salsa and cheese with corn chips--that is one of my go to snacks. Delicious.

Toast with jam and cheese is pretty good too.

ETA: Also love wrapping a pickle up in a slice of turkey. I could eat those every day.

JumperFun
Mar. 31, 2013, 11:36 PM
A good friend told me recently that she's been dipping white cheddar Cheetos in Veganaise lately!:eek:

PaintPony
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:05 AM
Saltines with butter. :eek: Disgusting I know!

When I was a kid my mom would make us bacon sandwiches for breakfast.
White bread toast, mayo, and bacon. On special occasions she would substitute it with a slice of Candian bacon. ;)

Every once in a while I still love to bust one of those things out - delicious!

shakeytails
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:08 AM
^I love saltines with butter!

My college roomie's favorite po' food was crushed up saltines mixed with water.

Coreene
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:18 AM
Pan fried blood sausage on thinly-sliced bread. My dear dad, God rest his soul, loved it and never told me the English name, so though I realized that bloedworst was blood sausage, I was too young to get it. The Dutch version is not as peppy as, say, Morcilla or Sanguinaccio, but tastier than Kiszka.

JoZ
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:23 AM
When I barbecue hamburgers I usually have all the ingredients except burgers left over. So I have perfected the un-burger which is a cheese onion ketchup and mayonnaise sandwich. I absolutely love it!

My biggest weakness is anything out of the can without bothering to heat it. Scary when microwaving is too much trouble. My favorite is a can of corn and a spoon. But I will also do this with soups.

Nothing beats cheese nachos though. Shredded cheese because I don't do the Velveeta thing. BTW autocorrect made Velveeta into Belavida. Must work on my enunciation!

Equisis
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:31 AM
When I was a kid I used to dip Fritos in frozen lemonade- the canned concentrate or the ice-pop kind, it didn't matter. Sweet and salty!

I have always loved (and still do!) raw dough. Pizza dough, bread dough, pie dough, you name it. I can never resist sampling!

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:42 AM
Butter, cheese, and bacon sandwiches.

Toast the bread and then slather it with butter. Like so much that it won't all melt. Then add slices of sharp cheddar cheese and strips of bacon. Yum.

Popcorn doused with spray butter....so doused that its soggy. :eek:

Oreo soup. A bunch of Oreos smashed up in a coffee cup. Add milk and a spoon. Makes a lovely chocolatey mush.

Lynnwood
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:00 AM
My daughter loves peanut butter and nutella sandwiches.

Empty pantry convinced me to eat heart of palms , artichoke hearts and bacon bits with a little olive oil.

When I was younger I used to eat soy sauce on lettuce...but only Kikkoman soy sauce ...the others :eek:

Coreene
Apr. 1, 2013, 01:10 AM
Peanut butter and Nutella on toasted extra sour sourdough bread with salted butter.

Edited to say this is one of those twice-yearly treats. Never have PB or sourdough in the house. Nutella either for that matter.

Has anyone made those three ingredient brownies with Nutella?

2DogsFarm
Apr. 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
Coreene:
BLESS YOU for making me Google that recipe : 9
I'll be picking up Nutella on my way to work this morning...or maybe the JIF dark chocolate version?
LOL! Just what I need - an alternative to the 5-minute chocolate cake recipe:rolleyes:

My childhood treat was sour cream on bread.
Boring, I know.
Still have to go there on the rare occasion I have sour cream in the fridge.

Mosey_2003
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:21 AM
Flour tortilla, slather with sour cream, spread on taco sauce, roll and enjoy...

Trying to remember, I think my latest drunken foray was a slice of lasagna with brown mustard. Something about drinking makes me want spicy food. My dad actually retched witnessing that one... :lol:

GraceLikeRain
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:29 AM
My grossest confession is that reading this made me so hungry that I went down and made myself a bagel and cream cheese.

My "bum" foods are usually obscene quantities of items:
- several TB of peanut butter
- Above peanut butter mixed with jelly, nutella, or honey
- a huge chunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese
- half a jar of sweet pickles

I also have a weird thing about cooking pasta. It always seems to take too long when I am feeling lazy. So almost weekly I will sauté fresh veggies, cook tofu or morning star patties, and then put it on top of ramen. Somehow it is so much more rewarding and delicious because I "put in less effort".....dumb I know.

LauraKY
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:23 AM
Potato chip sandwiches on white bread with mayo. Surprisingly delicious.

OTV
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:28 AM
Potato chips on sandwiches is amazing. I've never tried it with just chips though.

NBChoice
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:36 AM
Mmm, yes! Potato chips on sandwiches with butter is amazingly delicious!

I thought of a few others...
Ramen noodles with slices of cheese mixed in and melted.
Chips dipped in sour cream is pretty good. Especially cheetos.
I used to love mixing butter with sugar and just eating it with a spoon.
I also used to eat raw potato slices with salt.

ybiaw
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
You guys. Are. Gross.

LauraKY
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
When I barbecue hamburgers I usually have all the ingredients except burgers left over. So I have perfected the un-burger which is a cheese onion ketchup and mayonnaise sandwich. I absolutely love it!

I used to eat those when I was vegetarian...Burger King Whopper hold the meat. I still do if fast food is the only alternative...I can't stand Burger King's hamburgers.

caradino
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:41 PM
Roasted garlic potatoes dipped in mayonnaise. WEAKNESS.

NBChoice
Apr. 2, 2013, 09:36 AM
^^That sounds really good, caradino!

Long Spot
Apr. 2, 2013, 10:58 AM
Roasted garlic potatoes dipped in mayonnaise. WEAKNESS.

Add in a few chunks off of a pre-made rotisserie chicken to dip in the mayo too (with a sprinkle of pepper on top of the mayo) and I'm right there with you, cardino.

Vesper Sparrow
Apr. 2, 2013, 10:59 AM
To continue in the canned soup vein, heated condensed tomato soup or cream of chicken soup on toast (undiluted with milk or water).

Potato chips in a tuna, kieblasa or salami sandwich.

Once a year food.

GypsyQ
Apr. 2, 2013, 10:59 AM
Y'all ready for this? Dad's "Goulash" that he created in college. It's a meal, it's actually much better than it sounds, and it's wonderful comfort food.

Slice potatoes and fry in a skillet. When they are just about done, add a layer of cooked ground meat (hamburger, turkey, etc).
Next, a layer of canned baked beans, then a layer of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Top with cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. I like it with a bit of ketchup.

Crazy4aOTTB
Apr. 2, 2013, 11:16 AM
Potato chip sandwiches: White bread, mayo, and plain Ruffles potato chips in a sandwich.

My brothers favorite was uncooked spaghetti noodles.... Sometimes he would cook them and eat them with butter and salt and if he was really fancy he would sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (the kind in the can) .

And when I was young I would eat Vienna sausages (sp) straight from the can...I think I would gag if I had to eat them now.

meupatdoes
Apr. 2, 2013, 11:20 AM
Um, I make this as a treat when I am tired of pan seared fish/chicken and the latest assortment of roast vegetables, because I think it is delicious and decadent and has the side benefit of being comparatively hugely unhealthy, so I don't really consider it "bum" food, but in the sense that everyone else considers it gross:

pasta, topped with baked beans, an egg over easy, and ketchup.
If you have the pasta pre-ready and fry it in the pan with the egg and beans so it gets a little crunchy, .....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Also if you would like to commit the all the sins that the latest healthy eating literature would considerthe "most horrible", make up some Stoffers stuffing from the box, add processed and sodium laden gravy from a packet, and top with suger-filled processed jellied cranberry sauce from a can.
Enjoy.

NBChoice
Apr. 2, 2013, 05:54 PM
Thought of another one. Bread topped with thick, brown gravy. The bread gets kind of soggy and mushy and yum.

mvp
Apr. 2, 2013, 06:06 PM
Potato chip sandwiches: White bread, mayo, and plain Ruffles potato chips in a sandwich.

My brothers favorite was uncooked spaghetti noodles.... Sometimes he would cook them and eat them with butter and salt and if he was really fancy he would sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (the kind in the can) .

As ignorant little kids: Spaghetti (cooked) and mayo, like a sauce. Good enough for us.

MyGiantPony
Apr. 2, 2013, 06:08 PM
Just remembered another childhood snack. Not really gross, but we often ate it after school. White bread, mayonaise, iceberg lettuce sprinkled with garlic salt and onion powder.

sk_pacer
Apr. 2, 2013, 07:11 PM
Reading the last few entries reminded me of a favourite, not gross, childhood summer snack - lettuce sandwich which consisted of white bread (usually home made) and spread thickly with Sandwich Spread and then piled high with fresh leaf lettuce. If there was no sandwich spread, Miracle Whip and bread and butter pickles worked as well.

My brother also ate raw spaghetti and macaroni and that IS gross.

BeaSting
Apr. 2, 2013, 07:26 PM
Anybody collecting these for a COTH cookbook?

Kat_Renee
Apr. 2, 2013, 08:07 PM
When I was a teenager, one of my favorite sandwiches was tuna (tuna, mayo, onion powder, relish) with marshmallow creme and Doritos. I called it a meal in one. It was super tasty.

Big_Grey_hunter
Apr. 2, 2013, 09:29 PM
This thread is making me so hungry, I just took out a jar of nutella and am eating it with a spoon. What's so bad about 200 calories per spoonful?

rivenoak
Apr. 3, 2013, 12:32 AM
Frosting from a can on graham crackers.

Peanut butter & bacon sandwich. No fake BacoBits, if at all possible. White bread, of course, but not Wonder.

From my poor student days: hot buttered rice or hot rice with ranch dressing.
A splurge was a 39c Hot-N-Now burger with green olives on it.

Snowflake
Apr. 3, 2013, 08:34 AM
My gross meal is french fries, coated in buffalo wing sauce and dipped in bleu cheese dressing.

I also like garbage plates. For breakfast this morning I had 2 eggs scrambled with ham, green peppers, onions, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, and banana peppers. Topped with cheese and finished with hot sauce. YUM.

And then there is the prairie dog platter: French Fries topped with mustard and onions, nacho cheese, texas hot sauce and chopped up hot dogs. So incredibly disgusting. But so good. I've eaten it once or twice each time thinking with every bite it was so gross but I couldn't stop shoveling it in. Now that I've sort of purged my system from processed foods, I don't think I could do it today. Just the thought of it makes me go :dead:

caradino
Apr. 3, 2013, 11:14 AM
My gross meal is french fries, coated in buffalo wing sauce and dipped in bleu cheese dressing.

I also like garbage plates. For breakfast this morning I had 2 eggs scrambled with ham, green peppers, onions, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, and banana peppers. Topped with cheese and finished with hot sauce. YUM.

And then there is the prairie dog platter: French Fries topped with mustard and onions, nacho cheese, texas hot sauce and chopped up hot dogs. So incredibly disgusting. But so good. I've eaten it once or twice each time thinking with every bite it was so gross but I couldn't stop shoveling it in. Now that I've sort of purged my system from processed foods, I don't think I could do it today. Just the thought of it makes me go :dead:

All of that sounds delicious in a gross, indulgent sort of way.

skydy
Aug. 12, 2013, 01:24 AM
I love the Jack-in-the Box fast food "drive thru" fried tacos. Mystery meat (paste) and all.

Thankfully there is not a Jack-in-the-Box near me. It is a special treat on road trips. 2 for .99 cents. You know, they must be good for you! :yes:

Coanteen
Aug. 12, 2013, 06:57 AM
I think if you melt cheese over it, it counts as a legit meal. For example, smoked almonds with cheese melted over them. Totes legit, do don't judge me!

The tragedy strikes when you don't have any substrate to melt the cheese on, and end up in front of the fridge shovelling in pre-shredded cheese by the handful.

saje
Aug. 12, 2013, 07:29 AM
My favorites:

- Butter and peanut butter on bread, toasted or not
- Peanut butter and bacon on toast
- Buttered Triscuits with a glass of wine in front of trashy TV
- Salsa on cottage cheese (when I'm hungry, lazy, and want something not-junk-food)
- Plain dry Cheerios eaten out of a glass or mug
- PB & marmalade sandwich on buttered bread or toast (Marmalade MUST be the good tart English kind though, like Dundee)
- Salsa and butter (or sour cream if I have it) on baked potatoes. Or on any potato product, really :)

OK time for breakfast, I'm starving!

*Teddy*
Aug. 12, 2013, 08:44 AM
Poutine- fries with cheese and gravy, if i want to be healthly sweet potato fries

Dill pickles with a chunk of mozza

Mozza sticks with ketchup

Cooked ramen with shreded cheese or plain uncooked ramen

Tortila with cream cheese salsa and shreded cheese

3 layer dip cream cheese(or sour cream ) salsa and shreded eaten with tostitos

Bagel nuked- put fine shreded chese and salsa enjoy!

Blueberry,cinnoman bagel with cheese whiz toasted

Coanteen
Aug. 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
Blueberry,cinnoman bagel with cheese whiz toasted

No, I'm sorry, that is wrong. Wrong and sick and wrong. This is voted off Food Island.

JetsGlitterNGold
Aug. 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
I didn't get desperate for bum meals until I was in grad school. Suddenly cold canned green beans became my jam. Just pop off the top and chow down!

Also, I had some canned chicken that followed me through my undergrad. I just never was desperate enough to eat it. That too changed in grad school, so I'd mix it with canned corn and green beans into a couple of containers and have food to eat on for the next couple of days. The bad part is I would eat that cold too.

Mara
Aug. 12, 2013, 11:02 AM
Nuke frozen burritos (I use Aldi brand), followed by 1 box of Michelina's Santa Fe Rice & Beans dinner.
Smash up/cut up burritos, add Santa Fe Rice & Beans. Add cheese and taco sauce. Blend well. Stuff face. Cheap, fast, filling comfort food.

I'm sure the sodium content is over the moon, but this is not my everyday meal and sodium isn't really a concern for me given my typical workout sweat output!

BravAddict
Aug. 12, 2013, 11:04 AM
I routinely eat peanut butter out of the jar. If I keep chocolate chips in the house, I'll put them in, too...

Fourbeats
Aug. 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
When I was a kid, my favorite comfort food was a sandwich made with wheat bread, mayo on one side, crunchy peanut butter on the other and a slice of beef bologne in the middle. Mmmmmm

OveroHunter
Aug. 12, 2013, 11:51 AM
In a recent mood of desperation I chowed down on tzatziki dip and corn tortillas... Definitely not a Greek/Mexican fusion I would recommend to anyone but I was starving and we were out of pita bread!

Mara
Aug. 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
Cheese In A Bathtub:

Take one slice white bread, slather mayo on one side. Add 1 piece Oscar Mayer bologna. Place a slice or 2 of cheddar cheese in the center of the bologna.

Broil in toaster oven until cheese is melted and bologna is curled up, forming a little "cup" around the pool of melted cheese.

This was one of my favorite snacks as a kid, after spending the entire day at the pool.

Herbie19
Aug. 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
I love slicing up a whole tomato and putting salt on it. Yum.

Whoever said they eat sour cream, salsa and cheese with corn chips--that is one of my go to snacks. Delicious.

One of my trainers will eat tomatoes whole just like an apple. That grosses me out but I'm totally with you on the other. It's lazy man's seven layer dip! Awesome!

Mara
Aug. 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
One of my trainers will eat tomatoes whole just like an apple. That grosses me out but I'm totally with you on the other. It's lazy man's seven layer dip! Awesome!

When I was a kid we got all of our tomatoes fresh from my grandfather's garden every summer. I'd eat those like apples; they were SO good. More than once I ate so many I gave myself mouth ulcers.

Dramapony_misty
Aug. 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
-Potato chips and cottage cheese
-Saltines with butter
-warm pasta with just butter or butter and parm. cheese
-My poor-girl "trail mix": uncooked oatmeal, raisins, and mini chocolate chips

I also like "kippered snacks"- canned smoked herring on white bread or spread on saltines. If I didn't eat it when I was growing up with my dad, there is no way I would touch it. It looks gross and smells gross, but boy does the yummy taste bring back comforting memories of childhood!

Hubby likes "bean sandwiches" - cold baked beans poured between 2 slices of bread.

ybiaw
Aug. 12, 2013, 12:10 PM
Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well (migraine). So I was moping on my couch watching cartoons on Cartoon Network eating pickle rounds straight out of the jar. I tossed in a slice of kraft cheese just for some variety, but happily sat there eating pickle slices for a good half hour before I realized how gross I was being.

So I went out and bought mint ice cream and hot fudge topping and ate that instead.

LauraKY
Aug. 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
Sliced radish and butter sandwiches.

Matzoh with butter. I'm from Baltimore...you can find matzoh year round.

Mara
Aug. 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
I'll eat creamed herring straight out of the jar. Totally grosses my husband out. But fair's fair; I can't stand to watch him eat cold black beans smothered in Miracle Whip.

sk_pacer
Aug. 12, 2013, 01:27 PM
ey
I'll eat creamed herring straight out of the jar. Totally grosses my husband out. But fair's fair; I can't stand to watch him eat cold black beans smothered in Miracle Whip.

Not a fan of creamed herring but will eat plain pickled herring right from the jar.

Another 'weird' thing I like is cucumbers and sour cream (just enough vinegar to thin it down a bit), boiled potatoes and smoked sausage, all gooped together in one lovely creamy, crunchy tangy and salty bite.

jumpingmaya
Aug. 12, 2013, 01:36 PM
MAN some of you guys have STRONG stomachs... Pretty sure I got queasy just reading some of these!!!
I will throw ANY type of vegetables RAW in my salad... cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peppers, etc... don't care- they all go in. Top that off with 2 eggs sunny side up and there is a meal. Will also ad beans to the mix (black, chickpeas, etc.)
Most people find it highly strange that I add that many things in there.
Weakness are frozen berries... or frozen grapes! Candy to me...
Yep- I'm boring.. I know!! ;)

Fourbeats
Aug. 12, 2013, 02:54 PM
I also like "kippered snacks"- canned smoked herring on white bread or spread on saltines. If I didn't eat it when I was growing up with my dad, there is no way I would touch it. It looks gross and smells gross, but boy does the yummy taste bring back comforting memories of childhood!

This reminds me of a birthday request when I was about 9 years old. I wanted a can of sardines, mustard, and saltine crackers. Yum! And yea, I got it too, lol.

I will still occasionally indulge in a fishy feast fest once or twice a year. Makes my husband turn green but ohhh...I love the fishy, salty, oily, taste!