PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners! At what point do I miss the spring planting window??

War Admiral
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:33 PM
We've had a weird spring in the South where it was still going below freezing as recently as Fri. night.

I s*ck at gardening and have never successfully planted *anything* but I'm sort of determined to get blueberry bushes and mulberry tree going at new place if humanly possible. Problem is, I can't plant yet b/c we haven't closed yet! :lol: (Closing has been kicked back to mid-April.)

At what point, weather-wise, would y'all say I've missed the spring planting window & had better wait until next year?

Thanks!!!

threedogpack
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:05 PM
depends on where you are, what zone are you in?

Bacardi1
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:43 PM
"Where" in the south will you be?

That question asked, I doubt you'll be anywhere where you'll miss any planting "windows" except perhaps for those crops that insist on cold temps - like brassicas (broccoli, broccoli raab, some Asian greens, some lettuces, etc., etc.). But again - that depends on where you are.

I'm in Culpeper, VA, Zone 7, & don't plant out ANY of my warm-weather stuff (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc.) until Mothers Day (early May). Same for direct-seeding summer squash, & repeat seeding of Asian greens, etc.

So honestly, I think you'll still be able to get a garden in at your new place. Just don't hyperventilate about it. Have fun getting a few things planted & enjoy the experience. There's always next year for veggies.

But if you're only interested in fruit bushes/trees, hopefully someone else will chime in. Although I really don't think there's ANY real window for planting blueberries &/or mulberries.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:47 PM
I haven't even started seeds yet. Guess I should get on that, but I'm afraid they'll get stalky by the time it's safe to plant them.

War Admiral
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:57 PM
Whew, thank you so much! I'm in Zone 7 like you, Bacardi. So hopefully I'll be OK!

ETA: I'm not actually planning on doing any veggies at this point - fruits are my "thang"!

Bacardi1
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:01 PM
I haven't even started seeds yet. Guess I should get on that, but I'm afraid they'll get stalky by the time it's safe to plant them.

Again - where are you located? I start my warm-weather stuff indoors mid-March to mid-April indoors under lights, counting on planting them out the 1st two weeks of May. If you keep your lights 1"-2" above your seedlings, they shouldn't get leggy. Growing on a windowsill, they might.

Bacardi1
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:02 PM
Whew, thank you so much! I'm in Zone 7 like you, Bacardi. So hopefully I'll be OK!

ETA: I'm not actually planning on doing any veggies at this point - fruits are my "thang"!

Lol!! And I'm a veggie/herb gal with fruits & ornamentals second in the equation. But regardless - you don't "s*ck" at gardening. It's just a matter of trial & error. And there's always another season to try again.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:20 PM
Again - where are you located? I start my warm-weather stuff indoors mid-March to mid-April indoors under lights, counting on planting them out the 1st two weeks of May. If you keep your lights 1"-2" above your seedlings, they shouldn't get leggy. Growing on a windowsill, they might.

I'm in south central PA. Usually I have things started by now, but it's been so freakin cold...

Alagirl
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:34 PM

well, the zones don't say too much...
but around here - unless we are talking cold weather crops, like English Peas,raddishes etc....Mother's day is when you put your tender stuff out.

Yep, that late....