PDA

View Full Version : Anyone built a pre-fab house?

4Martini
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:22 PM
We're thinking about putting up a small cabin. Some of the pre-fab options look pretty nice. Just curious if anyone has experience with prefabs.

Peril
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:05 PM
I have some experience with modernist pre-fab. At one point I was seriously considering a Rocio Romero and visited a couple in situ. I now have a lustron (ur-pre-fab). To which I was first introduced at MoMA home delivery installation:

http://www.momahomedelivery.org

I adore my house and am a fan of prefab while I understand some down sides. Let me know here or via pm if you'd like to discuss further.

Bluey
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:16 PM
I am not sure what kind of house you are talking about.

Our neighbor bought a prefabricated house, built in a factory, that was hauled and set in place.
A few years later he added one more room to it, a sun room.

You can't tell his house is not built on the spot and it has all kinds of nice features inside.

I considered it, but at that time the company that makes them was almost a year behind, they are very popular for far off rural areas as here.
I had mine stick built to get it in quicker.

Kryswyn
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:15 PM
We looked into it and would have loved more information, but the company we dealt with seemed to have the BOSE stereo mentality ie, NO pricing information until you were really committed. Three times their builder's rep and I talked and he really talked the talk, but never got any of the info promised. The 2d time he called to apologize for not sending it, but didn't I say we were coming down?? I told him we were planning to come down, made a casual appointment, but that I wanted the documents and pricing info before we met. I received nothing except another call from him saying didn't we have an appointment last Friday. I took some pleasure in telling him that since he hadn't sent me the requested information as he'd promised me 3x, and that he couldn't even give me a ballpark figure we were no longer considering using his company. I told him companies that did business like that left a bad taste in my mouth and tended to create their prices based on what the customer drove up in and what they were wearing. Not unlike unprofessional horse dealers who add $10,000 if they see a Merc or Espalade coming down the drive.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:21 AM
My best friend is a SIPS builder. I guess they are technically pre-fab, in that once the plans are sent to the factory, they make the walls and ship them. It's fascinating watching one go up. http://www.bridlewoodbuilders.com/sips.html

4Martini
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks! We're looking at SIPs as well as pre-fab. We're looking to build a 600-1000 sq ft. cabin in the mountains as a weekend get away to share with family members. It has to be able to deal with a lot of snow (hopefully :-)

We want to be able to get it up and sealed up quick due to weather concerns. I like the look of the modern ones- but most of them have flat roofs which don't usually do well in snow. (And I'm not sure the neighbors would be thrilled with a modern cabin.)

MyGiantPony
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:51 AM
Give Terry a call. They really are amazing, and they'll travel - not sure where you are. Check out the link to the customer blog on their site. That was a fun experience. If you are anywhere near Central PA, there will be an open house there next weekend. I can get you an invitation.

Bluey
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:18 AM
I checked into SIPs homes, we had a local builder trying to get that started, but the word was that, several years down the road, those may be the best around, or a bad failure, as some other out there building innovations have turned out to be.

It sure was cheaper than regular stick built houses, but I want to eventually resell and stick is best for that now.

For a cabin, most anything you do will be fine.