PDA

View Full Version : Who dyed eggs this year?

rustbreeches
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:42 PM
We had the neighbors down last night, their daughter and grandkids live 1000 miles away. We did 12 dozen using traditional Paas, the tissue paper stained glass and tried the shaving cream method that has been making rounds on facebook and pinterest.

Canaqua
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:49 PM
My son and his friend are dying eggs right now. Only 2 dozen, though. They are using crayons to draw pictures on the eggs before dying them.

supershorty628
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:59 PM
I didn't dye any, but my roommate handpainted a dozen in addition to blowing a few and painting those. I'll post some pictures later - she is amazing!

ezduzit
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:01 PM
We did 2 dozen. Just the standard dip, soak and drain method, nothing fancy. But they are pretty anyway.

Sadly, I didn't get any candy this year. I like to get dark chocolate at a little boutique store in the village. It goes fast and I waited too long. :-(

PolymerChem
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:13 PM
I haven't dyed any eggs yet, but I will see what kits are on sale for half price come Monday. Hopefully, there will be either a tie dye/marble kit or a metallic kit are on sale - I like bright and tacky sometimes! I'm also hoping there are half price Cadbury creme eggs and jelly beans to be had.

MistyBlue
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:21 PM
First year without dying eggs for me. I miss doing it...but simply don't have the time right now. I'm in the middle of tearing up and redoing a bedroom and bathroom and my house looks like a bomb hit it, LOL! I will be baking tonight though, smores cupcakes I think. I was going to make cupcakes with Cadbury Creme Eggs inside of them, but didn't remember to buy 2 dozen Cadbury Eggs. :o Woops!

Hope someone remembered to make the dozen plain green eggs for dinner tomorrow at my mom's house. We always have Green Eggs and Ham for Easter.

I usually get really into coloring eggs...the first 6-12 are normally very ornate. But after that it slowly devolves into finally "Just throw that one in the pink cup! Who fed the dog another egg? He's sleeping with you tonight! Why is there a marker in the fridge?" :lol:

Adamantane
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:39 PM
This may be of interest to the chemistry nerds on COTH.

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/how_color_eastereggs_chemistry-107931

furlong47
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:59 PM
I thought about it, but I couldn't find the type of dye that I like. It comes in four little bottles of different colors, and you paint it on using q-tips. Much more fun and interesting than just using the boring cups of dye. This is how we always did them when I was a kid, and this brand is getting harder and harder to find every year :no:

rustbreeches
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:35 PM
I made home made dye a couple of years ago when we were on a pioneer kick. It didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I had a back up pack of Paas to use.

I love being able to try new methods as DD gets older. Last year we hand painted quite a few with craft paint.

Acertainsmile
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:38 PM
We did it last night, with a 13 and 6 year old in the house it's a must! We used the Neon Paas and Candy Apple which you paint on, good thing the dye washes off! Side Note...do not by large eggs if you want to do the shrink wrappers.

Overdosing on Cadbury Mini Eggs at the moment (well okay the last few days), I'll be glad when the Easter candy is gone! :)

horseymum
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:41 PM
Doing it now with dye and sparkles and all that.....can you guess that I have a seven year old girl at home?

Bacardi1
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:42 PM
I used to dye eggs every year, but haven't always had the time. Bought a dozen of these multicolored ceramic eggs a couple of years ago for decorating. They're really authentic-looking & make great stand-ins for the real deal.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ceramic_nest_eggs.html

rivenoak
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:46 PM
We did 2 dozen eggs last night with DS & my mom. Good ol' plain Paas.

I'm not sure how many more years he's going to be into doing this, so had to use up that $0.30 kit I got at the goodwill last year!

Sannois
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:01 PM
I do not have any kids, but I like the pretty look of some dyed eggs.
You do not need a kit, just get the four pack of liquid food coloring. it is safe, and easy, instructions on the little box for making lovely colors. :yes:

Jumperrider55
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:47 PM
I did! Between my sister and I we did two dozen. I have dyed eggs, eaten way to many jelly beans and have had my one peep! Now I am ready for summer, enough of this spring stuff! (unless i look out my window and see the easter bunny tomorrow morning!!:lol:) Why can't they sell single peeps? I mean do you really need 12 peeps? Good thing the ponies like them! And yes I know peeps probably aren't the best things for my horses BUT they like them and only get one every 12 months!

mcm7780
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
My fiance, soon-to-be-stepdaughter, and I did! We used a set from Paas that came with q-tip like sticks. It was probably the first time I've dyed eggs in 20 years and was fun!

MyGiantPony
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:55 PM
I really miss doing this. My son and I were going to, but time got away from us. I also wanted to do the colored deviled eggs that I saw on Pinterest, but my contribution to Easter dinner is a black walnut cake. Figured that was enough work!

carp
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:14 AM
Nope. Last time I dyed Easter eggs was when I was bored on a Saturday night in college. One of my friends was the nerdy Zionist offspring of an Israeli gun runner. I thought he needed his cultural horizons expanded.

"Friend," I said, "Tonight you are going to remedy at least part of what you missed in your deprived and blighted childhood. You are going to learn to dye eggs."

"Huh, whaaaa? Why are we dyeing eggs?"

"Because that's what we do at Easter."

"But I'm Jewish."

"That's ok. You can call them Passover eggs. It's pretty much the same holiday, just some calendar confusion and extra political nonsense added a couple thousand years ago."

"But why eggs?"

"Because it's a spring ritual. Sympathetic magic. Eggs get laid. Generations of my ancestors obviously did too; otherwise I wouldn't be here. Don't argue with success."

"But why dye them?"

"Duh, blue balls. Sympathetic magic. Ya know?"

With this reassurance that he was about to partake in a culturally significant and somewhat naughty act, I persuaded him to trundle off to 7-11 with me to lay in a supply of eggs, dye, and vinegar. Various discussions followed. Nerdy Zionist wanted to eat his eggs. That would have been ok, except that he preferred his eggs scrambled instead of hard boiled. Debate as to whether dribbling the food color on his scrambled eggs instead of dyeing the shells would negate the sympathetic magic. (Conclusion, yes; chicks don't generally find blue tongues appealing.) With some trouble he mastered the art of blowing the egg out to preserve the shell for dyeing. Further discussion about whether this was another symbolic act.

Eventually we finished the lot, and he departed home to his girlfriend with his souvenir dyed eggs. I never found out if the sympathetic magic worked. As for me, I just don't trust myself to dye eggs with kids in the room any more. I'm sure I'd say something the parents would never forgive.

vacation1
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:27 AM
We dyed eggs this year. Dollar store dyes had mixed results, we couldn't find the crayons, one sister got permanently dyed, I accidentally created a new color (it's like navy, but with green) and mmmm, polymerchem, after-Easter sales... I foresee a restocking of my work stash of candy for the 3pm crash. I'm about out of my post-Christmas junk and have been resorting to stealing cheap lollipops from the bank tellers.

4Martini
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:31 AM
We did! Can't wait to see my 3yo find them!

I still have a few pieces of Halloween candy in my desk!

rustbreeches
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:32 AM
Nope. Last time I dyed Easter eggs was when I was bored on a Saturday night in college. One of my friends was the nerdy Zionist offspring of an Israeli gun runner. I thought he needed his cultural horizons expanded.

"Friend," I said, "Tonight you are going to remedy at least part of what you missed in your deprived and blighted childhood. You are going to learn to dye eggs."

"Huh, whaaaa? Why are we dyeing eggs?"

"Because that's what we do at Easter."

"But I'm Jewish."

"That's ok. You can call them Passover eggs. It's pretty much the same holiday, just some calendar confusion and extra political nonsense added a couple thousand years ago."

"But why eggs?"

"Because it's a spring ritual. Sympathetic magic. Eggs get laid. Generations of my ancestors obviously did too; otherwise I wouldn't be here. Don't argue with success."

"But why dye them?"

"Duh, blue balls. Sympathetic magic. Ya know?"

With this reassurance that he was about to partake in a culturally significant and somewhat naughty act, I persuaded him to trundle off to 7-11 with me to lay in a supply of eggs, dye, and vinegar. Various discussions followed. Nerdy Zionist wanted to eat his eggs. That would have been ok, except that he preferred his eggs scrambled instead of hard boiled. Debate as to whether dribbling the food color on his scrambled eggs instead of dyeing the shells would negate the sympathetic magic. (Conclusion, yes; chicks don't generally find blue tongues appealing.) With some trouble he mastered the art of blowing the egg out to preserve the shell for dyeing. Further discussion about whether this was another symbolic act.

Eventually we finished the lot, and he departed home to his girlfriend with his souvenir dyed eggs. I never found out if the sympathetic magic worked. As for me, I just don't trust myself to dye eggs with kids in the room any more. I'm sure I'd say something the parents would never forgive.

You're crazy! I like it!

stolen virtue
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:53 AM
Kids dyed eggs. So who is staying up to make easter baskets ?

I am.

Edit: Oh for the love of Peat (whoever that is) I am still waiting for my kids to go to bed.....