PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Reading . . .

Skeezix
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:51 AM
I am a middle aged woman who loves to read when I have the time. I have tried reading on Kindles and whatnot, but I still really prefer a book. Love the feel of holding a book, turning the pages, seeing where I am, etc.

As usual, being dragged kicking and screaming into the twentieth century . . .

Belair
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:59 AM
Well I'm 29 and love real books too. I don't like reading on the kindle etc. It just doesn't feel/smell right and I can't turn down pages. I'll keep my real books, thank you very much. :)

Alex and Bodie's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:03 AM
I hear you -- I have a Nook, and have loads of books on it (and subscribe to three magazines on it as well) but none of them ever get read. Once the battery dies down, I just can't be bothered to recharge it. Books, on the other hand, never need batteries. Besides, I read so fast that every few seconds I'm tapping the screen to turn the page, and that gets annoying.

nickers@dawn
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
Tangible things have meaning. Holding a book that got you through a teenage break-up, with it's tattered corners and dusty smell can't be duplicated. These actual books have memories and feelings attached to them. Holding a screen will never feel that way, and I have a Nook.

sk_pacer
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:17 AM
I agree completely - nothing like the feel and smell of a real book. I doubt I will ever get an e-reader

supershorty628
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:26 AM
I much prefer real books! I've been saying for years that I'll never get an e-reader, but I may have to cave and get one this summer; I have a VERY long bunch of flights (New York to Madagascar!) and rather than packing my bag full of books, it's going to be more practical for me to have a Kindle or something.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:28 AM
Far too lazy to hold a book, let alone actually read one. I've gone to nearly 100% audio books. So, I can listen and knit at the same time. Or clean the house. Or go for a run. I love to be able to "read" and legitimately accomplish something else at the same time.

Belle Beach
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:46 AM
I would like one for the times I go to eat and have to lay food/fork down to turn page, and had looked at Nook, Kindle but hadn't bought one as of today.

I love the books, always have.

CarolinaGirl
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:43 PM
I do still buy some books, but also have a Nook... which has now been replaced by the tablet with the Nook app. It is nice that I can read on the tablet after hubby has gone to sleep and I don't have to have a light on. Or on road trips after dark.

kateh
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:39 PM
I have a Kindle that I use a lot, but I still love a "real" tangible book! Especially if it's something that I think I'll reread, I prefer to have the physical book up on my shelf.

The Kindle comes in handy because I do a lot of traveling and fieldwork, where it's just not feasible to carry around even 4 paperbacks. So I load like 20 books on it and away I go. Also, anything that's public domain is free!

suze
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:37 PM
I love my Kindle & am thinning out my books - they get out of hand & we don't have the room for them. I like to re-read favorites & I have some that are out of print, but I bagged 24 Target/grocery bags of books & dropped them of at Goodwill yesterday and I'm not done yet. I like the feel of a book but I just can't keep them all just because I like them.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:10 PM
I prefer a tangible book, but I have enjoyed e-books for reading while not home. I read extremely quickly (two 3-hour flights took me through A Dance of Dragons) and it is much easier for me to load a few books onto my iPhone than it is to carry them all through the airport. The iPhone is hardly ideal for reading- like I said, A Dance with Dragons was my plane reading, and with maybe two paragraphs per screen, and the book being 800-odd pages long... But it works, and my local county library has a number of books available for e-check out.

Superminion
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:24 PM
I LOVE 'real' books for the smell/feel of them!

But I also love my Kindle because I have access to lots of free (or cheap) 'quick' books for when I don't want to read anything that will actually make my brain work. Same for traveling. It's much easier to slide my Kindle in my luggage than it is to carry around multiple thick paperbacks. Books are often cheaper in Kindle version as well. My only regret is that I didn't get the one that was backlit so I can't read without a light on when DH goes to bed. Silly me.

Luseride
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:45 PM
I bought my husband a Nook but I will only read free books on it. I like to feel the pages, hold the weight, look at the cover. Just can not get that with electronics.

Besides, I find a lot of deals on books at antique and second hand shops, not happening with a Nook.

Loopy
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
I love books. I really love books. But, I have a Kindle, also, given to me as a birthday gift, and that's great too.

I was hard to convince that I would use one, but once I had it, I found it brilliant.

Since having it I have read so many books I wouldn't have looked at, by so many authors I have never heard of. Some of which have become new favourites and some of which I know not to look out for again.

I've made great use of the ever changing Free books lists, and am forever downloading stuff. I'd say my Kindle gets used most days. So much for me not wanting one of those new fangled things :D

Debbie
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:02 PM
I haven't read a real book in at least 4 years. I didn't think I would like the e-reader experience, but I love it. Having 100s of books at my fingertips and the ability to download a new one at any time is just so liberating. And my husband has no idea that I've read over 400 books in the last 2 years because there aren't paperbacks stacked everywhere!

I definitely miss things about real books, but between my failing eyes (love being able to set my iPad to big print) and tendency to drop books and lose my place I pretty sure I won't go back.

Louise
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:08 PM
Like so many others here, I love real books, and still buy them, but I do love my Kindle. It's so incredibly easy to carry anywhere and I really enjoy the selection of free books that you can download.

bird4416
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:08 PM
I will not give up my Kindle unless you pry it from my cold dead hands. I am addicted to it and the fact that I can have a book in less than 60 seconds. No running out of reading material ever.

War Admiral
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:13 PM
It's not an either/or thing for me. I like both. I don't actually have a Kindle, I use the Kindle app on my Android phone, but I still buy hardcovers and paperbacks too!

Bells
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:16 PM
I'm working slowly on shifting over. As I finish my real books I don't buy new ones. I have quite a few on my kindle and iPad (yes I have one of each) and iPhone but have yet to read any as my stack was so high to begin w/.

threedogpack
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:34 PM
I love my kindle. I can watch TED talks, TV series and read books too. I like real books, but like e reading as much or possibly more.