PDA

View Full Version : Moving and No One's Happy for Me. :(

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:59 AM
My whine of the week.

I know it's because they'll miss me, but I can't even talk about it with anyone because they get upset with me. We bought a house in Kentucky on 25 acres that we'll be moving to next year some time and we couldn't be more excited about it. We spent the week down there over spring break so my son could come (who loves it too!) but now that I'm home, no one wants to hear about it. :no:

Even my boss, who I thought would be happy that I'm giving him so much notice, has been nothing but grumpy since I told him - same with DH's boss.

I don't know what I'm looking for from you guys except maybe some sympathy or commiseration. Anyone else go through this?

pheasantknoll
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:05 AM
I am happy for you! Lucky girl!

Superminion
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:06 AM
That's why you have COTH! What part of KY are you moving too... I'm ALWAYS looking for new horsey friends. :)

YAY for KY! :yes:

annikak
i am happy for you, too. And you're right, its because they will miss you. Speaks volumes!

JanM
People are very selfish, and think of their own losses first. Personally, I look at it as my friends achieving their dreams and not that they are leaving me. With the internet, Skype, and other communication forms it's as if you are together. As long as you are happy, then that's the important thing, and the other people will just have to get over it. Don't forget that once you get to Kentucky you'll have loads of friends there already with the people from here that you know and will meet in real life. Think of it as moving forward, and many people never do that, because the familiar is safe and change is hard for many people. They might be a little jealous also, because they don't have the courage to change their lives.

cooljenn77
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:24 AM
i'm Happy for you. I ant to move and only 2 towns over and i get told i can't move haha it's like a 30 min if that drive away and only 1 hour bus ride(public). People are very selfish sometimes. For the record i currently rent in my parents small basement apartment with my almost 1 year old , they are driving me nuts, we are much better when apart haha.

fordtraktor
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:28 AM
They are probably happy for you but sad for themselves at the same time (which is great because it shows you matter to them!), and think that expressing how they miss you will make you feel good, not bad. BTDT when we moved from DC to the midwest -- it's just a way of showing they care, they aren't trying to make you feel bad.

ReSomething
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:32 AM
My dad, (also from MA) hated that I was moving to KY and denigrated the state, the politics, the healthcare and the lifestyle every chance he got. He couldn't trump the cost of housing and a not so struggling school system. He still isn't happy about it.

clanter
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
to my empolyers...two weeks would be a long enough forwarning as they at least here have the right to terminate me without notice... and I really think two weeks is too long.

When I leave my current place of employement the notice will be here dude are the keys to front door as I am out of here.

You will enjoy the change to Kentucky

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:01 AM
I knew you guys would make me feel better! Thank you! :D

ReSomething - we get a little of that too - but how backwards can Kentucky be when we have county water and a gorgeous newly paved road for me and my three or four other neighbors on our little mountain road? And with the mortgage cut down to less than a third of what it is here and taxes also a third of what they are here in MA I wouldn't care if I had to get my water from the creek! LOL! :lol:

The people are so friendly and the neighbors have already offered me the use of their hundreds of acres to ride on. :eek: I can't wait to get down there.

And y'all keep your fingers crossed that a lovely woman is able to get financing to buy our place. She came out to see it last weekend and absolutely loved it and was already making plans on where things would go. She was so cute, she said how she has a hard time keeping things to herself and told us that when she was coming down our driveway she got a tear in her eye - she instantly fell in love with our place! :sadsmile:

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:03 AM
clanter - we're friends on FB and with me posting pics of the place as well as updates and such, he'd obviously know, so I went ahead and told him about it. Live and learn. :rolleyes:

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
That's why you have COTH! What part of KY are you moving too... I'm ALWAYS looking for new horsey friends. :)

YAY for KY! :yes:

Not a very horsey area unfortunately - Edmonton. But I have a trailer and I hear the trails at Mammoth Cave Park are awesome so maybe we can do a Kentucky COTHer group ride when I move down. :)

clanter
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:10 AM
clanter - we're friends on FB and with me posting pics of the place as well as updates and such, he'd obviously know, so I went ahead and told him about it. Live and learn. :rolleyes:

just identify him as former friend :lol:

twotrudoc
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:54 AM
I also am not happy for you for your superduper awesome move to KY. So poo on you! :mad:

*but only because I want to move to the Frankfort/Lexington, KY area and you get to go to KY first!:applause:

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
I also am not happy for you for your superduper awesome move to KY. So poo on you! :mad:

*but only because I want to move to the Frankfort/Lexington, KY area and you get to go to KY first!:applause:

LOL! Thanks ttd! :)

twotrudoc
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:08 PM
Today is one of the 10 beautiful sunny days we are allowed in western WA but I still would rather be in KY with 4 seasons :)

I hope you have such a wonderful life out there!

JanM
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:50 PM
The others are just upset and jealous, and thinking only of themselves. The bosses don't want to lose good employees, and the friends and relatives are upset they won't be changing their lives for the better. They're just jealous you are moving to a great place, and they're not.

ReSomething
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:03 PM
Oh, KY is a little backward, 1975 backward.

We have neighbors that burn their trash, and nowadays there is a LOT of plastic in most packaging so it's pretty nasty, but when I went down to renew my tags I didn't have to wait AT ALL and even though I'd misplaced the reg for the one truck it was no problem, and it was no problem when I swung by the Ins agent on the way there to get a current ins card - two trucks, older, and $200 and a smile from the clerk.
I get trash service at my driveway, mail down there too and DSL at the house and we are out in the country, they plow twice a day when it is snowing, we have a free school bus right to the driveway for DD. There's a library in town, most all the box stores, recycling in town next door to Southern States.
Not a whole lot of traffic, rush hour is nasty but it's short in Lex.

Depending where you are there are easy building codes and zoning regs, or sometimes none at all, which is good and bad.

I don't regret the move.

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 02:56 PM
I can't wait.

TheJenners
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:41 PM

Pshhhhhh, whatever! I was happy when you bought your house, even though I was secretly hoping you'd come farther NORTH! :lol: Selfish twit!

OP, fantastic! I lived in Lexington for a bit as a kid, and visited E KY a few times. It was lovely, beautiful, has four seasons, etc etc. I was a happy person there.

JanM
Mar. 31, 2013, 06:52 PM
I have an acquaintance who owns a house in the nearest subdivision to the KHP. The whole subdivision rented their houses during the WEGs, and made out great on it. I would love to live that close to the park.

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:00 PM
I flew down and stayed in Cincy for the WEG and I'll be about an hour and a half from the Horse Park and plan on taking full advantage of that by going to see all the events once we're down there. Can't wait! :D

SimpsoMatt
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:07 PM
Today is one of the 10 beautiful sunny days we are allowed in western WA but I still would rather be in KY with 4 seasons

In KY, it's not unusual to have all 4 seasons in one week

twotrudoc
Mar. 31, 2013, 09:18 PM
Then 10 it is!

lucky dog farm
Apr. 1, 2013, 07:14 AM
Well, I for one, am not happy for you! That means one less person to help shoulder the enormous tax bills here in Mass :mad: Actually, I would dearly LOVE to live in Lexington, KY. I think you will be so happy and of course your financial picture will be so much stronger, because as you said, your mortgage will be much lower,taxes and everything else. Congratulations on your move! Now if I could just ply DH away from Mass then I would move down there too.

Fessy's Mom
Apr. 1, 2013, 08:37 AM
luckydog - It really is a shame isn't it? Someone I know's mom is still working at 75 just so she can pay her $10,000/year property taxes. :( I don't know how anyone could retire here. Looking forward to being a "kept woman" in Kentucky! :winkgrin:

paulaedwina
Apr. 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
RE: The people are so friendly and the neighbors have already offered me the use of their hundreds of acres to ride on. I can't wait to get down there.

IMO, your friends can't be happy for you because they're jealous or wishful or resentful. Some people who do not have the courage to make the change themselves have a hard time being happy for people who seem to have the courage to take the plunge.

Congratulations.

Paula

Fessy's Mom
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:17 AM
Thank you Paula! :sadsmile:

I saw my family this weekend for Easter dinner and they were okay about it. Not really asking any questions, but listening with interest to our stories from our trip down last week, so that was nice.

I just feel bad because I know if anyone I knew was doing what I am doing I'd be so happy for them. Oh well, if we were all the same we'd be boring. :yes:

Eventer55
Apr. 1, 2013, 10:21 AM
I'll second the idea that some people are lacking the courage to move and do something different. I've actually known people (when I lived there) that never left Long Island and their families never did either. They wanted to know why my husband and I like to travel eeeeeeeeeeeeek in Europe and have moved around a lot.

If they're not happy for you maybe they're not happy with themselves. . . just a thought.

ccoronios
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:21 AM
I have an acquaintance who owns a house in the nearest subdivision to the KHP. The whole subdivision rented their houses during the WEGs, and made out great on it. I would love to live that close to the park.

This is a smart move in many hi-tourist/seasonal areas. We used to have a friend who owned a house about a block from the ocean in Southampton - she rented it July & August, rented a place on the Sound and made out like a bandit!!!

fooler
Apr. 1, 2013, 11:35 AM
Paula and Eventer55 got it. Those who will not or are afraid to change their circumstances are seldom happy around or for those who do embrace the change.
I hope you and your family enjoy living in KY. Congratulations.