PDA

View Full Version : A New "Canoeing" Thread

Rackonteur
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:16 PM
Just wondering ... (still on shore, haven't dipped one toe in the water yet) ...

What do you look for in a canoeing partner (CP)? Does age make a difference (your age or older/younger?).

I don't even know why I've called this a Canoeing thread; I've been a landlubber for years and likely to stay the same ...

If you know right away that a canoeist is a dreamboat, and longer acquaintance confirms this, and you both have experience with paddle and portage, what does that say to you? If you both enjoy horseback riding, would canoeing be a good idea too?

I know I'm not phrasing this well ... it's late and I'm sleepy ...

But I've just discovered there's this really nice river not far from home, and it might lead to the sea ... and these days I'd be glad to just go and look at canoes together .... picnic on the dock ...

Oh dear, I am not saying this at all well ... help ...

twotrudoc
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:29 PM
Dude, what the heck are you trying to say? I can't tell if you are trying to have a one night stand or start up some sort of boat building horseback adventure vacation place?

SaturdayNightLive
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:31 PM
Dude, what the heck are you trying to say? I can't tell if you are trying to have a one night stand or start up some sort of boat building horseback adventure vacation place?

:lol: Sorry, but I really just laughed out loud.

OP, I think you're over thinking this whole canoeing thing. Sometimes you just gotta jump in.

Rackonteur
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:40 PM
:lol: Sorry, but I really just laughed out loud.

OP, I think you're over thinking this whole canoeing thing. Sometimes you just gotta jump in.

Me too, SaturdayNightLive. :lol: :lol: Your reply sounds like your signature quote.

And I think you offer great advice -- one of the things I love about canoeing is the laughing out loud!

lilitiger2
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:23 PM
sounds like a portage to the dock is in order, then may be an oar in the water. sometimes its better to just stick to the ridind and not cmplicated things with canoeing, but it sounds like you are invested in finding out. dare to dance the tides (assuming your potential canoeing partner is not already canoeing with anyone else)

CVPeg
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
Have to say, in recent months, I've seen a couple of ads/signs for canoes - often while driving, and end up laughing out loud. Now another road hazard. :lol:

Rackonteur
Mar. 30, 2013, 02:40 PM
:lol:

Right now I am enjoying the horseback riding a lot. But you know, where there's a river, there is also the presence of canoes, with paddles, in the background, as it were. So I just started wondering, what might happen if the subject of canoeing came up ... how would/should I respond ... right now I am trying to keep the very thought of canoes from even glimmering in my eye ...

CVPeg, if we are out horseback riding and happen to pass a billboard advertising canoes, I will probably laugh so hard I will fall off the horse! :lol:

paulaedwina
Mar. 30, 2013, 03:10 PM
I haven't been canoeing with someone in a long time. I find that I canoe effectively on my own and am therefore less inclined to have someone else in my boat whom I have to train. Le sigh. I want Data, a fully functional Data, dammit!

Paula

CVPeg
Mar. 30, 2013, 03:50 PM
:lol::lol:

Heinz 57
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:07 PM
I haven't been canoeing with someone in a long time. I find that I canoe effectively on my own and am therefore less inclined to have someone else in my boat whom I have to train. Le sigh. I want Data, a fully functional Data, dammit!

Expert-level canoers are highly valued. I married one, and sometimes (like when I want to wring his neck) it's his saving grace. My favorite canoer before I met Mr. Heinz was also quite experienced and a really, really wonderful, shameless canoer that had been taught well in his early days. If you're into astrology, both Mr. Heinz and my previous favorite canoer are Tauruses, I've wondered if that has anything to do with it. Both are happy to take direction but need none (IMO). Previous favorite canoer and I saw each other for a number of years and I was NEVER bored, which is a major accomplishment in itself. I get bored easily while canoeing and lose interest quickly.

OP, assuming you are of an appropriate age to be canoeing, stop hesitating. I can't tell if you've never canoe'd, or if you're looking for a long-term canoe partner, or even if you're just looking for a quick paddle downstream. :lol:

kateh
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:19 PM
I enjoy a quick paddle downstream, and for those canoeing partners I require that I know them a bit, generally enjoy their company, and I trust them not to throw my paddle overboard. I think people often overthink canoeing, but then I'm from the Canoe and the City generation.

My first canoeing expedition with last BF was close to disastrous since we never really left shore :lol: but he made up for it later with some major dedication and fast learning. So if you really like someone, don't write them off after a bad first trip.

Heinz 57
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:25 PM
My first canoeing expedition with last BF was close to disastrous since we never really left shore :lol: but he made up for it later with some major dedication and fast learning. So if you really like someone, don't write them off after a bad first trip.

On the other side of the coin...if they don't significantly improve after a few tries, don't waste time. :lol: I dated a really NICE canoer that was fantastic in all ways BUT canoeing. He never did get better and it was awful!

lilitiger2
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:30 PM
On the other side of the coin...if they don't significantly improve after a few tries, don't waste time. :lol: I dated a really NICE canoer that was fantastic in all ways BUT canoeing. He never did get better and it was awful!

yep. that sucks. I agree that a good canoe partner is a great thing, and is probably related to being able to canoe skillfully solo as well. And I would so much rather paddle my own canoe than battle the rapids (if we ever get there) with a poor canoe partner,for whatever reason. Of course, some trips that never get near the rapids can still be a whole lot of fun.

Heinz 57
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:21 PM
Of course, some trips that never get near the rapids can still be a whole lot of fun.

This particular canoer was bad at all things canoe-related, unfortunately... which sucks, because otherwise he's great husband material and is fantastic to look at. He pretty much tipped the canoe over and dumped us both in the water, and then held me under with no life jacket (yes, it was THAT bad). I very nearly asked him what the HELL he was doing more than once.

MunchingonHay
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:51 PM
Best. Post. EVAR!

Paula

MunchingonHay
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:55 PM
Can I have the numbers of your previous canoe paddlers?.....Please?

Expert-level canoers are highly valued. I married one, and sometimes (like when I want to wring his neck) it's his saving grace. My favorite canoer before I met Mr. Heinz was also quite experienced and a really, really wonderful, shameless canoer that had been taught well in his early days. If you're into astrology, both Mr. Heinz and my previous favorite canoer are Tauruses, I've wondered if that has anything to do with it. Both are happy to take direction but need none (IMO). Previous favorite canoer and I saw each other for a number of years and I was NEVER bored, which is a major accomplishment in itself. I get bored easily while canoeing and lose interest quickly.

Heinz 57
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
Can I have the numbers of your previous canoe paddlers?.....Please?

You mean the phone numbers, or the actual count of canoeing partners? :lol:

lilitiger2
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:03 PM
This particular canoer was bad at all things canoe-related, unfortunately... which sucks, because otherwise he's great husband material and is fantastic to look at. He pretty much tipped the canoe over and dumped us both in the water, and then held me under with no life jacket (yes, it was THAT bad). I very nearly asked him what the HELL he was doing more than once.

Oh.......wow. THOSE kind of trips. No. Partner can canoe solo and I'll just wait on the dock, reading. i'm too old for that. People could get hurt. :)

Rackonteur
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:09 PM
Canoe and the City ... Love it! :lol: :yes: :D

I have had canoeists tell me I am good at canoeing. Good with paddles (never dropped one in the water, etc.) yet apparently can make quite a splash when appropriate.

For many yearsnow I have paddled my own canoe, as it were, (missing some former fellow canoeists but not really mourning them), and that has been fine. So now, when I have reached an age when I thought I was too old even for canoeing without a partner, I discover a river runs right by my house and there is a canoe on the dock complete with paddles! Well, what's a girl to do? Hello, I find I've still got thwarts in my gunwales after all!

Guess I will just keep riding out by the dock for now, maybe work on the canoe sometimes (it's a bit weatherworn and has been in drydock so needs some TLC, just like a good saddle). And should it suddenly flip itself over or upend itself and launch itself, why, I might just step aboard and take hold of a paddle.

Tonight seeing my thread up in boldface type on the OT forum when I logged on really made my night--I have never before seen a thread title of mine up in lights like that! :) Thanks for the replies putting it up there!

MunchingonHay
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:29 PM
Phone numbers :D:winkgrin: I could use a canoeing partner that does not need a map.:winkgrin:

You mean the phone numbers, or the actual count of canoeing partners? :lol:

Heinz 57
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:53 PM
Phone numbers :D:winkgrin: I could use a canoeing partner that does not need a map.:winkgrin:

:lol: FL to OR is a bit far to travel for a good canoe!

jess h
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:24 PM
Keep in mind that if you and your riding buddy have each been kayaking solo long-term, it can take a few tries to get back in the habit of there being someone else in the boat. Worth it, though (as long as he knows his way around a paddle)!

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:33 AM
I haven't been canoeing with someone in a long time. I find that I canoe effectively on my own...
Paula

Wouldn't doing it solo be Kayaking? ;)

Kayaking is fun, and since I haven't found anyone to share a canoe with lately...but if the right person showed up with a nice canoe...I'd probably take the ride.

Rackonteur
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:26 PM
The canoe is nice ... haven't checked out the thwarts yet! :lol:

Equine Studies
Mar. 31, 2013, 08:43 PM
Wouldn't doing it solo be Kayaking? ;)

Kayaking is fun, and since I haven't found anyone to share a canoe with lately...but if the right person showed up with a nice canoe...I'd probably take the ride.

I just laughed out loud in the truck on the way home from Easter dinner. I said "nothing" when SO asked what was so funny. I'm sure he figured it was another Facebook joke.