PDA

View Full Version : Door knobs in England?

Gestalt
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:20 PM
I watch a lot of Masterpiece Theater and BBC, it seems like the older homes don't have doorknobs. Am I missing them somehow?

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:44 PM
No, we don't have door knobs.

Gestalt
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
What do you have? I see people using keys, is there a latch?

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:54 PM
I tease. :winkgrin: We have handles.

What BBC shows are you watching?

CatPS
Mar. 29, 2013, 09:18 PM
How about the door knobs in the MIDDLE of the doors?!?!?!? How does THAT work??? :winkgrin:

Gestalt
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
I tease. :winkgrin: We have handles.

What BBC shows are you watching?

You little rascal, I saw your earlier post and called my friend to say " nope, they don't use doorknobs". :lol:
The movies are from early, early days. Just finished the Mrs Gaskell series. But I also remember the detectives house in "The Last Detective", their knob was in the middle of the door. What are you wild Brits doing!!!

Superminion
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:41 PM
Are they bald knobs?

Rackonteur
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:32 PM
I once saw a movie set at The Plaze in NYC. The room doors had center doorknobs.

When I was in Englad 40 years ago at least one Victorian-era hotel had regular round doorknobs. Last time I was there, 14 years ago, the house I stayed in had handles like we are getting here in the US now.

Older houses I have seen in period films set in England, filmed in actual houses, have doorknobs.

But the front doors of modern houses don't have outside doorknobs, do they? Seems you just grab the latch/lock and pull the door to.

CarolinaGirl
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:45 PM
All my moms houses have knobs, she's in Scotland. They just totally gutted and redid and 1800's Victorian on Holy Loch in Strone.. It had doorknobs. I do love that some places (modern) still use skull keys there though!!

tallyho392
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:02 AM
I am currently watching doc martin.............set in portwenn(really port issac , cornwall).....and I noticed the no doorknobs thing too!!.....................keys on the outside, deadbolt on inside, mounted higher up on the doors than here in US......funny to notice something so seemingly commonplace,isn't!

Wonders12
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:06 AM
Can't speak for England, but in Costa Rica door nobs are somewhat rare. They do exist, especially on interior non-locking doors, but most tico houses don't have them for exterior doors.

On the outside you just have a handle (sometimes) and a keyhole. You have to use the key to enter. On the inside it's basically a spring latch so the doors lock automatically. You can either just close the door (activate the spring latch) or close the door AND lock it extra using your key.

To open more double locks from the inside you insert and turn the key while also turning a disk around the key. This system is very obnoxious since it requires two hands.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

kateh
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:11 AM
I was JUST going to say that about Costa Rica too! It was a little confusing at first figuring out the spring latch from the inside, but I liked that the door would automatically lock behind me.

Gestalt
Mar. 30, 2013, 03:53 AM
Can't speak for England, but in Costa Rica door nobs are somewhat rare. They do exist, especially on interior non-locking doors, but most tico houses don't have them for exterior doors.

On the outside you just have a handle (sometimes) and a keyhole. You have to use the key to enter. On the inside it's basically a spring latch so the doors lock automatically. You can either just close the door (activate the spring latch) or close the door AND lock it extra using your key.

To open more double locks from the inside you insert and turn the key while also turning a disk around the key. This system is very obnoxious since it requires two hands.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

Ooh good, pictures!

Loopy
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:51 PM
lol, Kookicat's first post made me laugh then the OPs post about calling her friend to confirm lack of doorknobs made me laugh more :D

Yes, door knobs, door handles, door latches, we are fully kitted out with door furniture :D

The handles in the middle of doors...theres a long 'bar' mechanism.

The front doors without knobs that some of you have seen, there the door is just pulled shut (theres a little handle/lip on the lock) and the catch locks (http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=290911). To open it you turn the key and push as you do it, if there's no additional handle. :)

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:18 PM
Door handle photos. (My mother thinks I've lost my mind. I took photos of her handles.)

Outside door handle (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/164294_10152727126305096_1051259798_n.jpg). This one goes up and down to open the door, and you can lift it all the way up to dead lock the door.

Inside door handle (https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/529353_10152727125755096_2023230931_n.jpg). This one just goes up and down. :)

snoopy
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:40 PM
Outside door handle (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/164294_10152727126305096_1051259798_n.jpg). This one goes up and down to open the door, and you can lift it all the way up to dead lock the door.

....and the lovely UPVC doors and windows!

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2013, 06:42 PM
....and the lovely UPVC doors and windows!

I'm not a huge fan of the UPVC doors. Mine at home are solid wood. I like them better.

Gestalt
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:21 PM
lol, Kookicat's first post made me laugh then the OPs post about calling her friend to confirm lack of doorknobs made me laugh more :D

Yes, door knobs, door handles, door latches, we are fully kitted out with door furniture :)

Hahaha, yep, I feel a trifle foolish. And just a bit on the gullible side. :D

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:44 PM
Hahaha, yep, I feel a trifle foolish. And just a bit on the gullible side. :D

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to make you feel silly. I figured you'd post back on here and I could 'fess up. :lol:

pony baloney
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:30 AM
Funny someone noticed that. I've always noticed that they never rinse their dishes after washing them. Doesn't their food get soapy?

Gestalt
Mar. 31, 2013, 03:13 AM
Funny someone noticed that. I've always noticed that they never rinse their dishes after washing them. Doesn't their food get soapy?

Buwahahaha, I've noticed that too!!! Maybe their dish washing soap is different than ours.

kookicat
Mar. 31, 2013, 07:15 AM

I always rinse mine. My Mum doesn't, and nope, the food doesn't taste soapy. :)

JulesGirl
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:37 PM
DH doesn't rinse dishes after washing. I do. Fairy liquid is not substantially different from Palmolive, as far as I can tell.

I've never lived in a house or flat that had an outer doorknob; they've always had deadbolts. We have a few interior doors with knobs but the majority have latches.

hosspuller
Mar. 31, 2013, 01:11 PM
Here in the USA, door knobs are disappearing. ADA - Handicapped access and all

Hippolyta
Apr. 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
I grew up in a Colonial era house in CT: only one door knob, the rest are all latches of various types

eclipse
Apr. 1, 2013, 03:24 PM
I've never rinsed my dishes (drives my hubby crazy) and nope my food is not soapy! In fact, I'd never seen rinsing until I moved here, from you guessed it, England! :lol: